Ryan Dunn's Blood-Alcohol Results Are In... and They're Terrifying

It’s been 48 hours since news broke of the spectacular car crash that took the lives of 34-year-old Jackass star Ryan Dunn and his passenger, Zachary Hartwell, 30. In that time, Roger Ebert has semi-apologized for his knee-jerk tweet blaming Dunn's friends for allowing Dunn to take the wheel of his Porsche just minutes after posting photos, on Twitter, of himself drinking at a local bar. Now test results prove Ebert may have had a point.

The West Goshen, Penn. police department has confirmed that Dunn’s blood alcohol concentration was 0.196 percent, or twice the legal state limit of 0.08, at the time of the accident. Meanwhile, police are putting Dunn’s estimated driving speed at somewhere between a mind-boggling 132 and 150 miles per hour, based on physical evidence from the scene. Talk about a lethal combination.

This certainly wasn’t Dunn’s first flirtation with driving dangerously. Bam Margera’s mom was widely quoted as saying she had often “yelled at him” to slow down, and the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Dunn had earned 23 citations over the past 13 years, including 10 stops for speeding and careless driving. Dunn pleaded guilty to almost all of them, including a DUI in 2005 that resulted in the suspension of his license for one year.

It’s a tragic story made all the more tragic by the fact that it could have easily been avoided without such reckless behavior.

I can't say that I'm sorry... I'm not happy that he died, of course, but I'm happy that he didn't hit anyone with his car that night. I know very well how it's like to be hit by some drunk guy that's driving. I got lucky 'cause I'm alive, and when I read about people like Ryan Dunn, I think that one stupid dangerous driver out of the streets is not so bad after all.
@DavidLeite, I agree with everything you said there. The situation is what it is. It is possible however to acknowlege the realities of this situation but also feel sympathy for the deceased and for the lives affected. It is not a contradiction to do both.

@Viperguy46, If you're happy that he's dead and you have no sympathy over a tragic situation like this, I stand by my statement. Not that it makes any difference, but I've only seen Jackass once or twice a long time ago, I didn't even know who Ryan Dunn was until last week. What does the tv show have to do with this really? That is nothing but simply the reason he's semi-famous. It doesn't however change the reality of the incident. You're confused about what is actually important or relevant here.
Hey brain05....is the 05 your IQ? You seem to know we are all a bunch of "cold hearted bastards", then then you must be a physic sitting at home watching reruns of JackAss movies! For that alone you should add a bunch of 000000000's to it! Never have I ever watched on nor never will I!
Bartender will be sued big time! Over serving someone who has had that many drinks should cut them off! Ebert was right however, he stole my thunder! When my wife and I heard of the kamikaze crash, I said drugs,alcohol or both!
@Bran05, there are no prizes unfortunately for stupidity, and fame should not be the consolation for doing stupid things, besides what would it have taken for this to not have happened? And what of Zachary Hartwell, and the countless other innocents that could have been harmed. It is indeed very sad when people leave our midst tragically, If anything good is to come form this is could be that our kids shall endeavor to be more careful in the future.
Yes it's said. Two lives were lost and this didn't have to happen. They could have taken a taxi or someone who wasn't wasted should have stepped up and taken them home. Friends don't let friends drive drunk.
Stealing3276: that is exactly the moron attitude that makes people get behind the wheel. Look up some facts about reaction times even after 1 beer will you?
Just because he doesn't hurl down the toilet after 20 beers, doesn't mean he won't react too slow or drive too foolishly.

And I do find it appaling that just because it hasn't happened people find it ok to mourn this "tragic" loss now that nobody outside the vehicle was hurt.

People! The man had done this many many times and never stopped to think he should take a taxi when drunk/high.
What the hell is wrong with you all? He was reckless and didn't for once think about other peoples safety. I've been drunk, I've left the car where it was due to the fact. Why? Because even when drunk I got the sense to not turn myself into a ticking bomb.
1 or even 2 times can be mistakes. Over 10 times is just bloody stupid.
yes I feel sorry for the families that will have to live with the sorrow, but that guy deserves no empathy, he was old enough to know that what he was doing was moronic yet he did it anyway, and I dont feel for his passenger either, he was an idiot for hanging out with that douche, and an even bigger idiot for getting in a drunk idiots car, I'm sure it wasnt the first time, they did it before and he knew that the driver was reckless yet he got in and did it all over again until the laws of nature stopped them
Jackass is the show about people doing things that should win them a Darwin Award right... How is this a surprising result? If you were a fan of Jackass I can see this being tragic, but people should have the right to be angry at him for driving drunk.
"Decent people" ? I think it's strange how some people keep calling it "a mistake" That jackass knew exactly what he was doing and it's a despicable thing to do, and he had to pay for it, So far, so good. Unfortunately there was a passenger but it could have been much worse.

Concerning Ebert's tweet he was absolutely right. .
And if I had read insensitive comments on the news stories about my brother's death from people saying they don't feel sorry about him and that he deserved it because he did it to himself, that would have been extremely hurtful to myself and my family. It would have just unnecessarily piled it on. I would want to reach through the computer and rip their heads off. I can completely understand Bam's reaction to Ebert's tweet.
But also because death is tragic even if it is the person's fault. No one was killed but the two of them, the two drunk people, so all those horrible "if" scenarios don't really apply because they aren't what happened. Two decent people made a really big mistake and they're gone. I don't understand why people that didn't even know him are being so hostile toward him.
I'm oddly invested in this because I have a job that affords me to surf the internet when I don't have anything truly important to do. It's kind of nice. That's most of it.
You seem awfully invested in this. How come? It's a huge difference drowning alone in the sea, and risking other peoples life, speeding while drunk.
You are an awful person. I don't care if I get flagged for saying that.
@brain05. There's nothing to be sorry about. He had it coming. One Jackass less makes the world a better place. Too bad people like this get famous in the first place for doing nothing of value.
And no s*** it could have been avoided. Everyone understands the situation here. No one is denying what he did. It doesn't mean you can't be sorry that someone is dead and gone forever.
And people need to stop with the "if" and "could have" statements. The facts are what they are. Obviously if there had been other fatalities, the situation would be way different, but that's not what happened. Stop trying to project other worse situations onto what actually happened, because that's not the case here.
You people are f***ing heartless. You'll feel differently some day if someone you love dies tragically because of their own decisions. I hope you don't have to experience that though. It's the most horrible thing you can imagine.
I'm sure he will be one of the top contenders for the "DARWIN AWARD" in 2011
@lostcause78 - He did kill someone else, his buddy that was in the car with him. I feel sad for the passengers family, seems everyone keeps forgetting that Dunn wasn't alone in that crash. It is sad to see anyone pass away, especially at such a young age but this is one of those things that could have been avoided.
@jasgoss amen it is very lucky
this isn't tragic, it's lucky. an unfortunate turn of events for him and his loved ones, sure, but he made a very poor series of decisions in his final hours and put other people's lives at risk. the headline could have read: Former Jackass Star Kills 12 in Drunken Collision with School Bus. I wish his family well, but two full-grown adults made their decision and it had its consequences.
i have no sympathy for him. he made a living doing stupid, dangerous stuff and now he died doing it. my only sympathy goes with his passenger.
He knew what he was doing. There's no point in searching blame or philosophise about it. You've made him who and what he was. He's gone now and killed someone in the proces.
He's just hiding. Or not. Either way G4 pulled Proving Ground from the air.
A true "JACKASS" in EVERY sense of the word. The roads in PA are a bit safer now that this drunk-driving dick is gone. What a "role model". WINNING ... NOT!
I'm sorry that he didn't control himself. I'm sorry he made poor decisions that led to this. I'm sorry that he didn't calm down and change his ways when he had the chance. I'm sorry that his mistake also cost the life of his friend. I'm sorry that he's gone and that his family and friends have to deal with this. I feel sorry for him that his life was cut short when he had so much potential. I'm also thankful that his poor decisions didn't hurt anyone else. I'm sorry that his life is now defined by the tragic mistake and that his family has to deal with arm chair commentators talking about how little they care about him.
Oh well....
@brain05 if this was his first DUI or his first speeding ticket then i'd feel sorry for but after 25 this is natural selection dude continuing stupidity without stopping just leads to bad things i'm not saying i don't feel sorry for his family and friends but him personally... no
(Q) Kocziok: And is it confirmed Ryan was behind the wheel?

(A) Yes he was behind the wheel, and ahead of the wheel, and wrapped around the wheel, and inside the wheel. Actually I think he was intertwined with the wheel. His victim was too. Just to be clear, vehicular manslaughter isn't funny, so neither was this joke.
I hope the Jackass guys do some PSA's. For real.
And is it confirmed Ryan was behind the wheel?
I'm confused by this callous opinion that since someone does a bad thing and makes a huge mistake that it's okay to "have no sympathy for them", that because someone dies because of a bad decision that they made themselves, it's okay to be so rude and insensitive. People aren't perfect. People make mistakes. Sometimes people make huge mistakes and they die. No one is disputing that what he did was wrong. Everyone already knew he was drinking even before this data was released. This isn't really new information. He made a horrible decision and it cost him and his friend dearly. But that doesn't mean it's okay to be completely insensitive and rude. It's a terribly tragic and sad story. Families are destroyed, lives are changed forever. Those two men had people that loved them. People don't understand that the problem isn't with what Roger Ebert said, it's with when and how he said it. Everyone already knows the issues here. Grieving families don't need insensitive truth bombs on top of it. It helps no one. Everyone already gets it. I feel so bad for their families that this has to be a national story, that they have to not only deal with the deaths of their loved ones, but also now all the comments and commentary. That just adds to the hurt. To say things like "I have no sympathy for him" or "screw him he did it to himself" and even Ebert's timing of his remark helps no one. All it does is potentially add to the misery and devastation that the family is going through. Before you all criticize me, let me say that I know. My brother died this past February in a drowning accident on the gulf coast. He was alone. He had been drinking, but he was found a week later and we still have no idea what happened. I saw news reports on the story and saw people, completely detached from the story, making comments and judgements about what they thought had happened. It was painful to read some of those. My brother was an amazing person that made a mistake, and now I have to live the rest of my life without him. Just consider how your comments might potentially have an impact.
I meant to write you 're ,but didn't check my spelling...sorry...hopefully,now you'll be able to sleep at night
Yeah with that record it had to happen sooner or later. His passenger probably wasn't sober either and he did put his life in Dunn's hands by getting in. That being said I sympathyze with the loved ones.
If you are going to call someone "dumb", perhaps you should spell "you're" correctly. It's a contraction of you and are, saying "your" implies possession. Plus, 'Trailer Park Boys' sucked, so who cares. (*I'm a troll)
The only victim here is the passenger who died,screw Dunn he only got himself to blaim.
"...since news broke of the spectacular car crash..."

at the author of this article... your as dumb as those people who, were TAKING parts of a car from the crash site and saying that they will sell it on ebay.
YOU ARE ALL BUNCH OF I.D.I.O.T.S.!
all you care about is writing articles and making it in news...
drinking and driving is selfish thing and a big no no and stupid, but it's never easy, when you hear someone( or more) of them died... think of their close ones,how they feel.
@lostcause - he did kill another person, his passenger zachary hartwell.

idiots pressured roger ebert into apologizing for saying it like it is. idiot got drunk, killed his friend and himself. there's no way to sugarcoat killing another person.
He's not dead, this is a hoax. He has a movie coming out about a guy who dies that comes back to life as a ghost and visits his friends. Does that not sound fishy to you at all. Once again, I doubt he is dead. Watch the video of Bam's reaction, it looks super fake...
"Dunn had earned 23 citations over the past 13 years, including 10 stops for speeding and careless driving. Dunn pleaded guilty to almost all of them, including a DUI in 2005 that resulted in the suspension of his license for one year. "
Think that says it all - he had leaned up to this for years. Thank god he didn't kill anyone before he killed himself
i agree with tvwatcher247. he was a guy known for doing stupid things and he was driving drunk at a breakneck speed and its a miracle he didnt hit anybody else. he will be missed by some but he brought it on himself
Has the description JACKASS ever been more apropos? Driving while intoxicated at speeds in excess of 130, the only good thing was he didn't kill a car full of innocent people. It's hard to feel bad about this one.
Drinking and driving. Why don't people realize that is serious?