Netflix Just Paid a Ton of Money to Steal Ryan Murphy Away From Fox/FX

Netflix's strategy of spending tons of money doesn't just apply to shows, it applies to people too.

The streaming service's latest big win is signing prolific television producer Ryan Murphy to a multi-year deal, the company announced Tuesday night. Murphy is, of course, the creator of shows like Glee, American Horror Story, American Crime Story and more. He already had two projects set up at Netflix, the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest prequel Ratched and the musical political series The Politician. This new deal solidifies the idea that he'll stay at Netflix.

It's also a bit of a full-circle moment for Netflix. The first show it ever licensed was FX's Nip/Tuck, which Murphy co-created.

The New York Times reports that Murphy's deal is for five years and is upwards of $300 million. The new deal means Murphy's stay at 21st Century Fox, where he made his name and like a billion shows for Fox and FX, is over, though he'll still be involved in his fleet of current shows, which include 9-1-1, Feud, upcoming series Pose and the American ___ Story shows. American Horror Story, for example, has been renewed through Season 9.

Shonda Rhimes Is Ditching ABC for Netflix

And because the television business has been so volatile as of late, Murphy's deal with Netflix is a slap in the face to Disney, which is in the process of acquiring Fox properties -- and the people with deals under Fox -- in a massive deal.

Asked about Disney's impending purchase of Fox at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in January, Murphy expressed apprehension, saying that when Disney CEO Bob Iger called him "I said point-blank, the stuff that I do is not specifically Disney, and I'm interested in that and I'm concerned about that, you know. Am I going to have to put Mickey Mouse in American Horror Story?"

Netflix, once known for stocking up on old shows, is now hoarding creative talent. The company made its presence known when it signed Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes to an exclusive deal, luring her away from ABC (which is also owned by Disney).

The TV wars are no joke, folks!

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Feb 14, 2018
Just checked his filmography and the only work of his I've watched is American Crime Story, is 911 any good?
Feb 15, 2018
Nip/Tuck??? (his best work and anyone that disagree is an idiot haha)

American Horror Story???? (Season 1-3, 4 at a push)

Glee?? (just getting into it)

Popular is supposed to be great too

I watched the pilot of 911 and thought it was crap - too procedural to invest in right now - if I find out it becomes more serialized i may give it another go
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah I know he has some stuff on his list that's widely respected, just for whatever reason I haven't watched, I'd never watch Glee, the others maybe. Don't have time to watch everything ;) My primary preference is cop shows, has been since I started watching TV in the 80s Magnum PI, Original Hawaii Five O, Hill Street Blues, the classics! ;)
Feb 17, 2018
I HATED the SPN musical episode - it was too fan-service for me - i did love the rendition of Carry On My Wayward Son though
Feb 16, 2018
I had the same mindset on Glee, but i started it the other week and really enjoy it - musicals are really not my thing (even if Once More, With Feeling is my favourite Buffy ep) but it's a funny little show

Wow - cop shows are your preferred genre? they are probably my worst haha - i'm not opposed to them (i like Bones and Castle) but i hate that they are all basically cut & paste shows - the only cop show that deserves to be talked about in the highest degree is The Wire but that's because it is very different to the likes of Bones and CSI and Hawaii and stuff like that
Feb 17, 2018
Once More, With Feeling is also my favourite Buffy episode and the musical episode of Supernatural was incredible, but I also hate musicals thus will avoid Glee, I actually watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend and fast forward all the musical numbers (really wish someone released episodes of that show with the musicals cut out!).
Feb 14, 2018