Saturday Night Live Highlights: Charlie Day, Kim Kardashian's Fairytale Divorce, and Drunk Rick Perry

Yay! Saturday Night Live is back, and look who’s hosting: It’s Charlie Day, lovable star of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Charlie was an excellent choice of host. He’s clearly a comic actor who’s built up a lot of good will in Hollywood, but hasn’t quite yet had his “star-making” moment. In other words, his Jim Carrey-talking-out-of-his-ass moment. His Sharon Stone-uncrossing-her-legs moment. His Zach Galfianakis-making-a-baby-masturbate-itself moment. You get the point. It's Always Sunny is a beloved, cult-ish sitcom, but most of “mainstream America” (translation: your mom) does not know who Charlie Day is. But now they do! He’s a funny guy! Who doesn’t like Charlie Day? Nobody! (I think that logic is right. Did I have too many negatives in there?) Anyway, enough about Charlie Day. Let’s just get to the show!

The monologue was very fun and upbeat. Clearly Charlie was delighted to have the spotlight and definitely did not choke. He was just the right amount of excited to be hosting SNL. (Holy cow, can you imagine how much adrenaline you’d have if you were hosting SNL? Lots! Unless you are Paris Hilton or January Jones. Then you’d be like, "Huh. What? Okay. Cool. I have a perfume line! And a baby but I won’t tell you who the dad is. He might be in the SNL cast! Yayyyy.") Charlie started with a few cute jokes about having a two-year-old’s memory of living in NYC (I love how in the bit this is very particular to NYC, as if he literally couldn’t have been from any city where the people were “giant” and street signs were written “in gibberish”), then Danny DeVito popped up and just bounced around the set like a Pong ball. Then Charlie played the piano for some reason, but it really wasn’t necessary. He’d already won us over.

Okay, let’s just get to the highlight of the evening: "Kim’s Fairytale Divorce" was the skewering the Kardashians deserve, in that it was utterly vicious. Andy Samberg’s apeman Chris Humphries, Bruce Jenner’s psycho face lift glare, Kris Jenner insisting she and her girls are “just four sisters,” are just some of the delights awaiting you in this sketch.

I’m not a huge fan of sketches that just dump a bunch of jokes on stage and move through them one by one, without any plot or real character work. And that’s exactly what the Greek Gods sketch was—using the Greek financial crisis as a jumping-off point, it really just went through a cast of mythological figures and made silly jokes based on the ridiculous details of their stories. It barely had anything to do with economics. That said, Adam Levine’s Yanni cameo was pretty funny, and made up for Maroon 5’s performance a little later, which really screamed “wedding band” to me. Why sing a song about moving like the lead singer of The Rolling Stones, if the song itself sounds about as soulful as a cellphone commercial jingle?

But let's get back to something I loved, though: Bill Hader’s Drunk Rick Perry impression on "Weekend Update." This character was irresistible, with slight hints of Stefon, and even that alien sports announcer character he hasn’t done in a while. (Which, when you think about it, adds up to the perfect Rick Perry.) Great lines: “[The] pepperonis were Ambiens and the tomato sauce was beer.” Hader, waving a dashboard hula girl in Seth Meyers face: “Hola, Seth.” Meyers: “Hola?” And Hader miming of an airplane crash-landing on the anchor desk to mimic the trajectory of his campaign. Funny!

This next sketch, however, was not funny. In it, Charlie plays an actor who acts opposite a dolphin. The joke here was that the trainer said his commands too loudly. That’s it. It was a great setup and could have been really funny if they’d gone weirder with it. Maybe the dolphin speaks telepathically to Charlie, and tells him the trainer abuses him? Or it orders him to kill? Or it comes on to him? Or Charlie is really hungry and keeps fantasizing about eating the dolphin? Or everyone treats the dolphin like a huge, J-Lo-level star and treats Charlie like crap? I don’t know! The point is there are a million ways this could have gone that would have provided more opportunities for laughs than this sketch ultimately did.

However, if weird is what I wanted, then weird is what I got in this sketch, in which Charlie plays a detective who doesn’t watch TV. The crime scene looks exactly like the Seinfeld set (it was an amazing moment when Jason Sudeikis’s cop first pointed it out), but the detective doesn’t get the reference. Then the subject turns to baseball, and the detective doesn’t get that either. Then he says he’s never heard of WWII. Then he does a Kramer impression, references the Soup Nazi, and George Costanza comes running out with a knife. Does any of this make sense? Is it funny? The answers are "no" and "I don’t know." But I enjoyed watching a sketch play out on the Seinfeld set. So thumbs up for this one!

And that’s what I thought about SNL this week. What did you think?

Loved it all. tried to make love and couldn't from laughing so hard. thanks alot.
I love the Greek Gods.. since i live in Europe, i might say, Seth's segment on economy (in weeked update) was funny and spot on!.

the divorce skit was superb! Charlie was great!!.. the last bit had me in tears!
I guess I know who Charlie Day is now. The more he yelled the less "funny" he became. The only highlight of this episode was the Kardashian divorce skit.
Charlie Day is a Natural SNL host! So happy he is getting his spotlight, but I really hoped the whole gang would be there to help him out. Jason Sudakis has really really grown on me, and I have loved every character he plays big screen and small. His Zeus killed me! The final skit was the best, right away I was questioning the set used. Then Day's Kramer entrance was the best. Kenan's CeeLo wasn't too bad, honestly. I wanted to watch just half the episode, but Charlie Day kept me up all Night! By night meaning morning, when I actually watched the episode.
Haven't watched it yet; but were there any references to Day Man? I only watched the monologue and was for sure it would be there.
Ups and downs as usual,

but seriously, is nobody going to mention Kristen Wiig on the Weekend Update? She did an absolutely incredible job, part way through it I couldn't even imagine how she was flowing so smoothly. Just amazing.

Bill Hader was great as Rick Perry and as the guy on Cee Lo Greens show, an ultimately mediocre skit, but the Dr. Oz sketch was painful at best.

Charlie Day? I'm a big fan. I liked the monologue, and I liked the song mostly because I am a fan and was impressed by his harmonica skills. Sketchwise? He was unnecessary in the Kardashian sketch, I can't give him credit for Dr. Oz because that was all just awful, the dolphin sketch wasn't a good fit, but the final police sketch, while odd, he really shined, he and Jason really worked well off of each other recapturing some of the magic of Horrible Bosses. Overall, a good episode that could have been much better, I'm hopeful that Charlie gets another chance some day because I don't feel that he was the problem.
Worst episode of the season so far. Best part was the Kardashian Divorce Special commercial, but they're all easy targets.
Couldn't stop laughing with the kardashian divorce special.,, and the greek Gods skit wasn't half bad!
The Kardashian divorce was the highlight, Bruce Jenner made me laugh out loud at SNL which hasn't happened in awhile. I also enjoyed the Greek gods skit, intoxicated Rick Perry, Gaddafi and the detective skit.

The Dr. Oz skit was painful and I stopped paying attention during the dull dolphin skit. I don't know how these horrible skits make it to the actual episode. I also don't like how they keep bringing back stupid characters like Kristen Wiiig's fast talking woman. The characters are just weird and annoying, not funny. Nobody laughs at something just because it annoys them.

It almost doesn't even matter who the guest star is anymore, they just sort of interject them into very similar skits from before that are not very funny. There were no skits based off of anything relating to Charlie or his much funnier show. They could of at least had the woman who played Artemis on It's Always Sunny play the Greek god of the same name.
I love Judy (the fast talking lady) I can't keep it together when she's on!
The monologue, the Kardashian divorce sketch and the greek gods were pretty funny. The dolphin sketch was lame and Maroon 5 did nothing to impress me. Better episode than some of them have been though.
I enjoyed the episode as a whole, clearly the Kardashian sketch was a hit and the Rick Perry impersonation was a highlight of an overall above average Weekend Update. The sketches that were really unfunny were the dolphin movie and the Dr. Oz bit.
The greek gods were the highlight of the night. I laughed so hard and I have not really laughed out loud at SNL in a while. The Kardashian divorce was a close second though.
It was a pretty hit-and-miss episode in terms of skits, but overall pretty funny. I especially liked the Seinfeld skit.