Scheduling Alert: Many Networks Are Changing Their Programming in the Wake of the Explosions in Boston

First, a sincere virtual hug to the city of Boston and the state of Massachusetts, and especially to those affected in any way by today's horrific events at the Boston Marathon on Patriot's Day. It's a tragic day for the city, the state, and our country, and we'd like to say a special thank you to all those who helped on site and exhibited bravery in the face of chaos.

Now, to more trivial matters. In light of the events in Boston, several networks are altering their schedules, extending tonight's news broadcasts possibly into primetime programming. Currently, ABC, NBC, and CBS will air one-hour broadcasts of their normal nightly news programs. NBC will air a special report with Brian Williams at 10pm, preempting a new episode of Revolution, according to the official Twitter feed of NBC Nightly News.

According to TV Line, CBS plans to air its primetime lineup as scheduled—barring any major developments, I'm sure—and Fox, NBC, and ABC are still haven't decided whether to change their primetime blocks. On cable, expect all the major news networks to run coverage on Boston all night. Many morning news shows have already mobilized to air special editions of their programs on location from Boston tomorrow.

We'll update this story as we get more details.

it was Fringe event!

just kidding..
my heart is with all the good people of Boston.
as Israeli i understanding the horrible situation of terror attack.

God bless America!
What the hell happened?!
2 bombs (like pipe bombs)* went off at the Boston Marathon~last I heard 3 dead (one was a 8 y/o body) and around 140 injured/taken to the hospital. 8-10 critically injured at one hospital (Dr.Peter Fagenholz, trauma surgeon who gave a great interview to some reporters with stupid questions). The injured were taken to several different hospitals.

*not sure how accurate all the information is since it comes from the news which often "jumps the gun" ...

very sad day
So when in the day was this? I would have thought that I would have heard something about it by now from more than just a site devoted to television.
that's me (my husband told me when I came home from work; I typically avoid the news unless someone tells me something of interest)--"No, no radio and no news, I get all my world news from word of mouth and the internet and I didn't go online today until this evening. I don't go out of my way to find news though, if it's big enough it reaches me, if not I probably won't care anyway."
It happened at around 2.30-3pm Boston time apparently. Do you not watch the news/listen to the radio. I live in Ireland and I heard about it about 13 hours ago.
This comment has been removed.
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected in Boston today :/
((Boston and to everyone affected by this horrible attack))
hugs

Bostonians acted promptly and calmly considering what happened---good strong people! My heart goes out to anyone affected by this tragic attack
Awful, just awful. Sources say that the suspect at hand was a Saudi national, so it may be terror-related, but I know that is jumping the gun too soon, as very little information has made its way to the public and people are still gathering information as we speak. I think, as JT Kirk said earlier, the networks really have to decide what they want to do, to air coverage or original programming, but with such little information known at the moment, all it would be is speculation, and as shown by the tragedy in Newtown, some speculation can be particularly harmful (i.e. Ryan Lanza identified as the shooter). People do want to know as much information as they can, but networks airing around-the-clock coverage when there is no new information isn't really going to help ease any of the pain, as awful as it might be.
Agree

I think the person is just being questioned as a potential person of interest (I didn't hear the word "suspect" but it may of been a different "channel")...also one or more of the injured in the hospital are being questioned as potential persons of interest (per the media...they make it sound like some in the hospital are being questioned more then others--i.e., not just as witnesses--but this is all just speculation)--just my interpretation of the "speculation" on the news.
so far every thing is on schedule, but I am in disbelief in what happen in Boston, its very very sad, I'm not sure that I want to know the facts I read as I was leaving work ESPN APP that body parts were flying over the place, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Boston
Well during the Lebanese Civil War I came close to a car bomb which exploded ten minutes after I had passed and killed ten children.I lost some of my hearing on my left ear as a consequence , which is relatively nothing in comparison,There were other episodes of mayhem I was to witness in this and other wars, but that was the worse. My heart goes to all victims of bombings and violence in general and in particular to the people of Boston.
how did you lose hearing from a bomb that you were 10 minutes past? sound farfetched and fake
Locus,no I was down the road by then.
what would he/she get from lying about it?
he and thanks.It was a very loud explosion and as I turned my head towards it the wave hit me.Anyway, this is neither here nor there, what is important is that the people who did this horrific deed be caught and punished.
When i was 12 I lived in Kilburn (NW London) when the IRA bombed Staples corner in 1992 (roughly 2 miles away). It was late at night but we heard the explosion from where we were. i didnt sleep that night and due to the damage couldnt get to school for a week.
I remember my dad being reassured because of the news coverage. I remember Trevor Mcdonald reporting the news very calmly, i dont remember anything else that was on tv for a while - and i didnt really mind.
My point is fairly simple - the people in Boston need information right now and the news shows are doing a public service by scheduling extra coverage ( as long as they are doing actual reporting and not sensationalizing events ). But changing the schedule for of reular tv for more than a day is pointless when there are 24hr news channels
We live in a multi media age, so children dont need to see the news coverage (dvd's, streaming services, games consoles or other activities) and as adults we can choose what we watch as well.
Some networks will choose not to change their schedules and thats useful as well - a lot of people will want to have a distraction from whats happened.
I cant see the point in getting angry at any of the networks for however they handle the situation.

Given Fox would otherwise be airing The Following, which deals with homegrown terrorists and heavily armed militia groups, I suspect they might pre-empt it anyway.
But they didn't. Although tonight's episode didn't really have any terrorist aspects.
Yes they did at least in Boston, no bones or the following
That wasn't Fox, that would have been the local Fox affiliate (and presumably the other local affiliates as well).
.and that helps us get the program how? people who did not want to watch their scaremongering are left without the ability to get the programs. The affiliate needs to get off their ass and say what they are doing to replace what they removed to sensationalize and create a morbid goulish event. Their programs were revolting.
When these terrible news events occur we tend to get bogged down with it. As much as I feel the need to be informed & it is just a shocking event, I need other things to break it up. I know I can turn off my TV but what do you say to the kids watching & hearing nothing but this news & it's not all factual either.
i agree... media goes way too crazy over these events with way too much coverage. this is definitely a horrible thing to have happen, but let's just be thankful no one else died.
some are seriously injured and not expected to survive--no hard numbers but that what the doctors said (statistically high chance of mortality). Two confirmed dead and one was an 8 y/o boy--if the news is accurate. I think the number will climb but hopefully not by much
Lets hope
As much as I know a lot of people would prefer the coverage, I'm thankful to CBS. I need some HIMYM humor tonight after all this. I have someone going to school a mile or two away who was planning on being there today. I'm so glad he ended up not going. And I'm headed off to Emerson (less than a mile away on Bolyston) in August. Needless to say, I'm more than a little frazzled.
It's a difficult line to walk for these networks, do they want to provide information or do they want to provide escapist entertainment away from the tragedies. Considering how little is actually known at this point about the bombs - even the Boston police commissioner was apparently misinformed about what happened at the JFK library - I think it's unwise to try to make a news special out of this tragedy since largely what it will be is rampant speculation by "experts" rather than actual solid news. And it plays into these terrorists' hands, they want more attention, they want to drum up fear so that they can use their evil tactics to piggyback some worthless message onto, the more responsible we are and the less we let their behavior dictate our lives, the more we send a message that their plans have no valuable tradeoffs for them to justify the damage and evil that they knowingly cause.
For most it's escapist entertainment, unfortunately. I just sat through part of a local news broadcast in California where they went to LAX and found Boston residents to comment on camera about where they would have been, had they been in Boston, and how grateful they were not to be there. The other part of the story was reaction from two people who couldn't get through to friends in Boston because the city had shut down the wireless networks. That's some hard-hitting news, I tell you.
News has become twisted into an entertainment game, the more we the audience don't play into it, the more we stop rewarding them for awful behavior. Playing on people's misery under the guise of "human reaction" is disgusting, it's a luxury those Bostonians don't have in that moment when they're feeling most vulnerable and injured, they don't come to LA to be hounded by reporters looking to turn tears into gold. The people who watch that news with glee are so blind as to see life as a meaningless soap opera, they shouldn't be pandered to.
Weird, the system logged me out on posting that, that's mine.
The reports were full of empty time, really I don't need to hear yet another person say they found. It scary and shocking. If there had been information it would have been different but all major networks were full of crass scaremongering and xenophobic speculation. All the information could have been delivered in 30 minutes or less not 5 hours.
As i dont live in America i have a question about the coverage.
Without naming networks, which coverage do you find more factual - the main networks or cable?
Some broadcast networks have excellent, relatively responsible news coverage from their national news outlets, but are still also reliant on their local affiliates' news teams, and once they run out of things to say they just repeat themselves.

Cable news outlets will rely more on their own teams so they will have more of their own voice, but will be looking to make a story when they have nowhere else to go reporting a story, they will force sensationalism and drama. The cablers will also feel the need to fill more time to add to their gravitas which means ratings later, so they will repeat graphic footage and they will bring in "experts" in various fields to give often empty speculation in an effort to keep that audience.

I would say that some broadcast networks news is ultimately more factual than cable since they aren't trying to build a news-addicted audience, they have other content to fall back on when the story dies down, but lately - and especially with the broadcast affiliates news - it has developed a cable news mentality about such events.
Weird, the system logged me out on posting that, that's mine.
cable but you have to watch more then one cable network since they all usually have a spin to the story they are reporting...not sure if that is happening with this bombing but basically the answer for me is cable but not just one cable station
PBS News Hour. Nothing better.
Local bloggers. No sensationalising for entertainment value, no using tragedy for political agendas.
I watch online and have looked at ABC, FOX, and CNN. I personally find CNN the most current but that's just my opinion. Fox news is always on in my house (not my choice but it gives balance--or another perspective-to some of the other network) but I don't watch the news unless someone tells me about something like the Sandy Hook shootings or the explosion at the Boston Marathon.

I think I overdosed on the news on 9/11 and the subsequent weeks which led to a dislike of watching the news on tv (brings back bad memories--mild PTSD like feelings--emotional, startle easily, same horrible memories running over and over in my mind, sleep problems, etc..)

• 8:30 pm