Sci-Fi closing the Stargate

When one door closes, a window opens. When one gate closes, then what?

Sci-Fi channel has pulled the plug on more seasons of Stargate: SG-1, which at 10 years is the longest-running science-fiction series ever on US TV. The network ordered another season--the fourth--of the show's sister series Stargate: Atlantis.

Stargate: SG-1, which aired its 200th episode on Friday, premiered on cable network Showtime in 1997. It ran for five years before switching to the Sci-Fi Channel. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show's producers never liked the fact that Showtime demanded full frontal nudity be worked into the episodes.

The Stargate series are based on the 1994 film Stargate, which told of the discovery by scientists of a dimensional vortex. Kurt Russell starred as the leader of a team of soldiers and scientists who step into the stargate and experience fantastical adventures of romance and derring-do. The movie was directed by Roland Emmerich, who went on to make Independance Day, Godzilla, and Day After Tomorrow.

SG-1 has averaged 1.95 million viewers this season, as opposed to 2.55 million during season nine. The three unaired episodes of SG-1 will come to Sci Fi in 2007.

The series starred ex-MacGyver Richard Dean Anderson in the Kurt Russell role. Anderson left Stargate two years ago.

I own all of the series on DVD, still need to find a local supplier for season10.

I have to say though, that in the end, I only really watched the series because of RDA, the same reason I only watched Macguyver. He has (or is that now had) a stunning personality onscreen, with him in the lead the show had star potential written all over it. But since he "technically" left the series in Season8, it has been going downhill from there. Don't get me wrong, Ben Browder was the replacement I would have sought, had he never acted in a previous sci-fi series before, but too much of the Farscape stigma was attached to him and while watching him in SG-1, I just could not help but see John Crichton the whole time. And then there was Claudia Black appearing on the show and things just went downwards even more so. At one point I was wondering when Wayne Pygram (Scorpius in Farscape) was going to show up and complete the transformation from Stargate SG-1 to Fargate.

Now hate me if you want and hate me if you don't, but be honest with yourselves. It was just getting to that point where I really did not want to watch the episodes and did not mind missing one.

All the best to the cast, gg RDA, we'll miss you, hope you make a new series and allow us to see you turn really really gray onscreen ;) - most of all, I'll miss the cuddly, gullible, very impressionable "alien" Teal'c - Christopher Judge, hope to see you in Atlantis a bit more.
Why did they have to cancel it? *cries* It seems I always get into a show just when it's ending... *sighs* There are SO few really good shows on TV now. At least "Atlantis" is still going... and I've got all the seasons of SG-1 on DVD to watch over and over and over and...
why are they getting rid of all the good TV shows out there, we will only have stupid reality tv shows like the amazing race. bring it back
:( do NOT cancel it !!!!!
wow will i miss this show but i own it all on dvd so i will watch it forever lol
i was never into scifi series... stargate changed all of that. the best.. EVER!!! i cant belive it's all over... this cant be... if there is anything we viewers/fans can do.
DEBBY B from columbus,ohio wants to know what part of "THIS IS THE VERY, TRUELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT THE BEST OF THE BEST EVER SCI-FI SHOWS EVER SEEN ON THIS PLANET--MY FRIEND & I HAVE SEEN OR EVER WILL SEEN" DON'T THE NETWORK EXECS UNDERSTAND??????
i agree with most... stargate is a legacy i live for... if it ends, the only thing i will hav left is atlantis. i heard rhumors of a movie or 2 to finalise sg1, so not all is lost... only 2 seasons wiv the orii is a little disapointing as it took till season 8 to get rid of the goa'uld and replicators. but if they do use any movies to finalise the storyline, u can bet it will be absolutely amazing... ten years is a long time but stargate had to end sumwhere, however, they say wen one door closes, another opens.... atlantis will hold on to the memory of sg1 and the future may bring bigger and better things...

oh, and if the odyssey from the very last episode ever gets distroyed, i will be p*ssed rite off...

long live stargate......
The only reason Stargate is losing ratings if for the fact that not everyone that wants to see this show can get the Sci-Fi channel . I could before but now they took this channel out of my area and not all I can do is rely on it coming out on DVD. I JUST finished seeing Stargate Atlantis season 2 today 3/7/07 .. So if a lot of people that want to see the shows cant get a channel to see them .. yes the ratings are going to go down..
NOOOOOOO was my first respond and thinking now it's still NOOOOOOOOOOOOO but i do have to agree it has run it course but still come on as if they cant do more stories man im brb .... going to have a cry !!!!!!
Thank god, i mean i used to love SG1 but its finished, its run its course, actors are dropping out of it left right and centre and Atlantis is a lot fresher. Its just that time, i knew it was coming too.
Ok guys this may be an unpopular post but it does need to be said. I'll start by saying that I love SG-1 and have watched it from the word go and seen every episode and so I will of course miss it but don't you think that there comes a time when really great things must end. The show has had an incredible run already, 10 years is an amazing amount of time for any show, especially a sci-fi one. If it keeps going on and on the cast will all start to look really old(and no it wont work with an entirely different cast) and the story lines will wear thin and become tenuous. I much prefer to see it go out on a high while i'm still enjoying it than watch it deteriorate and fade into obscurity.
I have been watching Stargate since its inception. and was very happy when they went to SciFi. I do not understand how this show can come to an end. Are the writers bored or out of material. Heck I have plenty of storylines with an array of mythical gods based on our history. (just like the show) I knew there was a problem with the show when they started traveling thru time. Most Scifi shows end shortly after time travel; save Dr Who. The truth Sci Fi Friday has been a staple in my life. And for a short will the storyline was weak. But with the return of the original cast members the show regained its strength. Whatever is wrong please fix it, adapt and overcome. Heck the ratings will go back up. Need financing ask us fans I am more than willing to pay movie ticket prices for every new episode. I mean you all still have a lot of other aliens you barely touched - The etheral cloud aliens with the crystal skull - Babylonian Gods (only Marduk was mentioned) - All of the Native Americans Gods and spirits from South to North America. What can we do to stop convince you all that we Stargate fans are pretty loyal. Just give another season. This show should not come to an end; the truth is this show and storyline can become the General Hospital of SciFi shows. Without Stargate and SciFi Friday the acronym TGIF has no meaning. ONE MORE SEASON -- THE RATING WILL GO UP!!
Stargate sg1 has been my favorite show for as long as I can remember. Tis show is a television show with movie action. It has the greatest and most entertaining story lines of any show I have ever seen, the characters have become as real as life. How are they going to able to conclude this great story and do it justice.There are so many unanswered questions for it to be over now. Idont understand how they could do this and expect the fans to want to continue to watch. This story has so much more to say. I just dont see it.

If something is not broken then why throw it away. Of course ratings may have dropped some but that will happen when you start changing out characters, but the true fans will get used to the change and stay with it. I know I had a hard time at first but now I am just as into it as before. They should give it a shot.
Stargate SG-1 is one of my favourite programs because anything can happen in it there are no limits and that is what makes it so good. I think there is so much to go on that they should not stop it. Just change the angle do a bit more advertising and i am sure the ratings will go up. I have not seen the program advertised at all so how do they expect to get viewing numbers up???

Why cancel it?????

People like long running series so they can follow it and stay interested now they are cancelling my fav TV they will lose me as a viewer!!!
i live in one of the smallest country in the world with very small population and yet i still know of Stargate SG-1. im not into sci-fi genre but Stargate Sg-1 (and The X-files) hook me up to sci-fi. it's been a long time that i've been left Stargate and only recently i rewatch it again. its still good as ever although it experience some downhills.

i just know it has been cancel due to "low rating"?? im really shock. maybe it could not pull out high ratings as some other popular shows, but Stargate has already had its own fanbase who loyal to it and im one of them. this is one of the best show ever...how many tv shows that have badass graphic like Stargate? we can count by fingers...Sci-fi channel..."thanx a lot" for what you have done, you guys making a very "good" decision here.

i'll always remember the feelings and anticipation Stargate that has offered to me. its a very great show that ended in a dramatic way. Stargate is one of few shows that will be always in my heart.
HOW TO GET SC-FI TO KEEP SG-1!!!

SNAKE WORLDS!!! Season 11

11-1 Several big snakes on planet.

11-2 Millions of small snakes on a Mothership.

11-3 Mutant Snake world.

11-13 Ori Snake

11-14 Snake Bomb

11-15 Snake Ship 1

11-16 Legend of the Snake

11-17 Snake God

11-18 Snake Men
I am a SciFi-fan. I have searched and searched for a series to collect with enough "muscles" in it. I found this. I have already bought it and will continue to buy it.

But when that is said - why in earth are they cancelling it???? They have a LOT of material to go on. I myself cannot see SciFi-channel. I have to buy it, but but but..... I do not understand.

Fortunately they dont cancel Atlantis and I REALLY hopy this series will continue for a LONG time.

I loved that SG-1 and Atlantis meant for each other. There was a kind of synergy.

So again.... Why????

A confused viewer.......
Wow SciFi just lost a beloved viewer. I even took time to watch those stupid SciFi Movies on Saturdays. I cannot believe they are pulling my favorite show. What has that station become? With shows like Eureka and Dresden Files I will not be watching the SciFi channel anymore. I can pass up BattleStar Gallactica and SGA. They only have 3 Shows I can't miss. Now with their stupidity I will just have to miss them all. Thank GOD I already seen all but four of the last episodes. I will not bewatching them on cable SciFi has been removed from my TIVO!
They are losing mee too!!!!
I want a new season not a ***** movie :(
I can't believe this show is being canceled either. Sci-fi thinks movies with alligators and reptiles mean sci-fi. Stargate Sg1 was the best show they had to offer. They sit on their brains.I couldn't wait for the new seasons and it was always entertaining. I don't think any new show will compare to the stars chemistry and talent. I will miss them. I hope they reconsider or they will lose a lot of viewers. They are losing me.
feedback@scifi.com anyone who wants to make their feelings known on the matter this is there feedback for customers review page lets flood them with emails i will save the show grrr
NUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dum sci-fi channel wants to stop airing the only good show they have on their channel. Stargate SG-1 shouldn't be canceled but Atlantis should be given the boot.
Fan's of SG-1 if we want to truly keep SG-1 alive then I think we need to banned together an show NBC that we mean to keep SG-1 Im not sure how but there must be away. Maybe on the LAST episode WE ALL could NOT watch any SCIFI or NBC channle or every fan write a letter saying that if we lose SG-1 that they might as well cancel SG-Atlantis, Battlestar, Eureka, tourchwood an every other show on any NBC LINE UP cause we are tired of losing the great shows an keeping the crappy one's. if your tired of losing the GREAT shows that you love to watch write or call:

NBC Chairman:Bob Wright

bob.wright@nbc.com

Phone: (212) 664-4444

an tell them that if we lose SG-1 then the NEXT day that ALL fans of SG-1 will watch ANOHTER channel ( besides ANY nbc ) cause if we don't make a stand here then whats the next show they'll cut. I mean we make up the rating's right? if we don't watch then there's no rating's an no rating's mean's No MONEY FOR NBC
please dont close stargate

All romanian fan support the starget
p.s. i bought all the dvds but it took a while because they sold out diminished veiwer interest my ass
xscuse me because of pressures of nudity im sorry i dont want nudity in my sci-fi yes i liked it in the pilot but it made it seem cheesy, i watch it for science humour explosions and theoreticals, i can get my own pron wow they ruined a good thing atlantis is cheesy the reason it ran for "10 YEARS" WAS BECAUSE IT WASNT CHEESY (well very much)

bring back our show if its rated 34 of all time by this site and brings in over a million people thats amazing and hey guess what its the first show to shift cast members and the loyal fans not only did they not turn their backs on it but they embraced them (what other has that happened on) this is wrong they had 5 more years left in them im not going to watch atlantis it is the ds-9 of the stargate family it not what the show is or was

anyone agree please voice your thoughts to the exscuse my laymen expression but the retards at sci-fi and showcase
A CALL TO ACTION: I agree with you all. We've seen the best of times and the worst of times with SG-1. We would love to see the series explore the new threat or at least end with decency. So who has started a letter writing campaign or boycott or some kind of action? We did it with Star Trek, why not Stargate? Anyone have the address to Sci-fi channel execs? A snail mail campaign would be more "real." Ideas? Suggestions? Anyone want to play????
Once again, another great show is being cancelled. Seems to happen to all the good shows, it happens far too often for my liking.
i'm from Poland, they've aired only 1,5(!!!) season of SG1 in polish tv, but there's many people like me who followed it with dvds and the internet. as far as loved the show not surprised sci-fi decided to end it, just hope some secrets will be revealed.
oh, common now, i loved the series until the season 10, where the storyline and the special effects went mad, and offcourse NO RDA !, it was the worst season ever made, it was a season for 14yo(tops) kids, that's why they axed it.
i am opposed to them cancelling the show, too. it is one of the best shows ever on sci-fi and tv. if you are going to cancel it anyway, then at least have a farewell show. it would be a great thing for all of the fans. loves the gates
I can't believe they just cancelled the show like that. It really is the best Sci-Fi series ever! Come on, don't axe Stargate SG1! 'cause Stargate Atlantis is just okay, but no way as great as SG1.

Really very dissapointing. I always think that they don't realize that, that many people really care for good shows like this.
What is it with these lot and the incredible ability to cancel or stop shows that are actually good. Especially when they are replaced with the drivel that they call "REALITY". TV is escapism I wouldn't be watching TV if all I wanted was reality. Ok I do miss "Jack" but I still enjoy the show and look(ed) forward to seeing what the imaginations of the writers have for us next episode. BRING IT BACK you TWITS!!!
I had a feeling SG-1 was doomed when they started airing the spin-off Atlantis. They should have kept O'Niell.

Shame on you, Sci-Fi!!
i feel very sad about it being axed it was a great show.I have to agree with others that it wasn't the same without colonel o'neal just loved him.
I think it is a total loss to all Sci fi fans that this show is being discontinued especially so abruptly. They have so much more to write story lines. I wish they could give some kind of explanation to all the loyal viewers as to why they are taking away a show that I have never failed to watch. I am so disappointed with the network. There is not much more I can say. I will miss this show so much. I am disabled and don't find to many shows that helps me get distracted from reality and makes me smile, laugh or cry. To be able to get a little enjoyment out of life during this period of my life is so hard and now my favorite show is gone with no warning. Shame on them!!!
Worked my way through the 10 seasons the past 2 years, only to find out it all comes to an end just like that?! I know it's tough making great shows profittable nowadays but I must say it really stinks.

So OK, Teal'c is starting to get on my nerves with his funny way fo speaking (ever noticed he's the only Jafa talking like a 'Vulcan'?) and I'm not to hung up on Ben, but I kinda like Sam.

Any chance on her switching to Atlantis??
It is true the series is ending as far as new episodes goes. However, the old ones will still be reaching millions of people via broadcast network airings and distribution on iTunes, among other things.

The great writers, producers, actors, set, costume, and special effects people woh worked on it will no doubt find other jobs - making other excellent TV shows or movies.
ok can some one please fill me in i know there canceling the show but are they at least goign to finsh the story the last episode that i saw was them in the cave with the dragon was there some thing after it that i missed i have nto missed a episode in 10 years iv been waching it since i was 11 years old iv seen it change networks so many times and watched it get cancled 3 time this cant be the end when sifi got the show i thought it was about time casue now it would allways be a sifi show but than they go and do some thing like this whyis it that networks alway cancle the good shows and replace them with mind numbing crap all the damn shows are exatly the same these days why stope one of the few original ideas out there they will probly put a reality show on there instead god i cant believ there going to do this and there not going to give us any closer either well they owe us that much after all we did stick around and pay there fat salires for 10 years with out the fans the net works would be out of busness but mabi thats what they want is to go bankrupt casue thats whats goin to happen the put out bad movies and think every one likes them and then canncle the shows that are makeing them money what twised logic
Noooooooooo they cant!!! Star gate is my favourite show!!! they cant juz axe it!! and plus i dont think atlantis will do that well without sg1, they're forever doin crossovers ;p anyways if dere is any news on how to save stargate plz tell me!!!

Daz_k_da_destroyer@hotmail.com!!!
I'm really dissapointed with heir decission. I also think that it's not the same without Jack (love the parts when he's mad because he forgot to tape the Simpsons :D) but man... IT'S STARGATE!!!
Episode 10 was hard to follow at rhe start with no O'neal but as time went it turned out just as good.

For it to be cancelled just because they change the crew is unfair to the million who watch the show.

1.9 million people watch the show in USA how many in the world.

I myself like the program so much I am buying the Sg1 dvds at over a cost of $1500 plus

This shows should go on till at least they defeat the Ori instead of leaving us in limbo
I bet I'll be flamed for this, but while I adore the show I'm really not that surprised it's been axed. After the Michael Shanks fiasco and RDA on hiatus Stargate just isn't what it used to be. I'll certainly be mourning the old SG-1, just as I have been for the last four years - but as for the new SG-1, I'm glad they ended it before it got any worse. Cheers for the last ten years, it was a good ride while it lasted.
If there's a petition supporting the next season.. #11, then i'm in...

Thanks!
I'm not so surprised.

Every top series had to end at some point.
I was even surprised of the 9th and 10th season.
Season 8 was a good end.

I'll miss Daniel Jackson and Teal'C, but I had to admit that after the end of the Goauld, it was a little too convenient to find a new misterious threat. Why didn't the Ori raise 500 years ago? ;-)

Stargate was a TERRIFIC show... And I'm sure some day, there will be another one that will last 10 years!

Thanks to all the crew member for those 10 great years.
I have been a loyal fan of Stargate SG1 since it's showtime days (had to record it at my parents because I didn't have showtime at my house) I will miss it. Please think again Scifi. I have to admit I am not as happy with the Ori theme, I really enjoyed the exploration themes of years ago. If it has to go then Jack and Sam better get together! I am thinking I like Daniel and Vala too.
Without Richard Dean Anderson, the show has been limping along as a rather generic sci-fi show. Please don't flame me! I love the other characters, and the refugees from Farscape are great. However, Season 8 ended.... Perfectly. I'll buy the remaining DVD's when they come out when the Stargate is closed for good. But without Jack O'Neill.... It's just not the same.
Being an avid SG1 fan and farscape fan, it was great to see ben browder in this series, he gave the show sex appeal, and to only have him on our screens for 2 seasons in SG1 is not enough, there are plenty of storylines that could be written about the ori, the goauld lasted at least 9 seasons. They are doing the same to us as they did when they cancelled farscape and made the rubbish peacekeeper wars as a way of finishing off the series. WE WANT MORE SG1, KEEP BEN BROWDER ON OUR SCREENS
Load More Comments