Scoundrels and The Gates: Pretty Much Dead

... Are you that one person out there that loves summertime network TV? Then avert your eyes or face the sad truth: it's garbage. Two of ABC's higher-profile series have failed to make their mark in the ratings, which will likely result in cancellation. Scoundrels and The Gates epitomized mediocrity Sunday with 1.0 ratings among adults and finished last despite being the only original episodes aired that evening (unless you count the Daytime Emmy Awards, which didn't fare much better in the ratings). We'll give these two shows another two weeks before they're replaced with repeats of Wipeout. [TV By The Numbers]

... Maybe The Gates and Scoundrels didn't do so well because people are still dealing with a bad case of World Cup Fever. The elimination round match between the U.S. and Ghana Sunday was the most-watched World Cup game in history in America, with 14.9 million viewers. Shortly after the U.S. lost and were eliminated from the world's biggest sporting event, 14.9 million fairweather fans vowed never to watch soccer for another four years. [TV By the Numbers]

... Who cares about ratings! Let's get to some interesting stuff! Interesting stuff like... THE DAYTIME EMMYS!! Michael Park and Maura West were named best actor and actress (respectively, I'm assuming) at the event for their roles in the cancelled As the World Turns. The Bold & the Beautiful won best daytime soap for year number two running, and some other things happened that a 57-year-old housewife in Wichita cared about. [The Live Feed]

... SyFy is remaking the fairly adequate BBC dramedy Being Human for American audiences, and it's already targeted its vampire. Actor Sam Witwer, Smallville's Doomsday, is set to play the seductive vampire Mitchell (played by Aidan Turner in the UK version, get it right Ausiello!). Not a bad choice considering Witwer looks very much like Turner. However, it won't stop this U.S. version from being a steaming pile of garbage when compared to the UK version. [EW]

... Drop-dead gorgeous woman-of-my-dreams Katie Cassidy (Supernatural's blonde Ruby, not the other one) is sticking with the CW after a failed run on Melrose Place (the show's fault, not hers). Cassidy will join the cast of Gossip Girl as a love interest for Nate (Chace Crawford) in multiple episodes. In other news, Chace Crawford just made my List of People I Need to Knock Out With Chloroform and Take Their Place. [EW]

... The Criminal Minds casting fiasco is over! And the loser is A.J. Cook! Cook will be coming back for the CBS procedural's next season, but only for a few episodes to wrap up her character's storyline. Paget Brewster has signed a deal to return for "a majority" of next season's episodes, but it will likely be her last. Send flaming piles of dog poo to Les Moonves, CBS Headquarters, New York, NY. But don't tell him I sent you as he signs my paychecks. [Deadline Hollywood]

... You guys know I like Judy Greer. Not just like, but I mean like like. As in, I want her to wear my Varsity jacket like her. Greer is now committed to star in CBS' new comedy Mad Love with costars Sarah Chalke, Jason Biggs, and Tyler Labine. Greer replaces the girl I wanted to take to prom and have a painful breakup with when she goes to college on the East Coast and I stay put, Lizzy Caplan. What's Mad Love about? Who cares, it has Greer and Labine! Just watch it when it premieres in the midseason! [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I didn't start off giving this show much love, but after some time I begin to realize that I really enjoyed watching the gates. It's a pretty damn great show and can only hope that abc decides to renew the shows contract. I think with air waves being inundated with so many supernatural shows that people immediately turned a blind eye, thinking that the show would be like all the others. This show deserves a fair fighting chance, the acting is great, the story-lines are fresh and at the end of the day I'm left feeling intrigued and raved up for more.
This seems to be a standard that the "brains" think they know better than the individuals who watch the TV programs. Lets have another stupid reality show that has no justification for existence. It is a real shame that A.J. Cook was let go. To bad the "brains" can't be gotten rid of. Stupid thing to do to A.J. Cook
I have been watching The gates religiously every week and have really enjoyed it and hope that they will release another series
I think that Scoundrel's is an excellent show very witty and funny. I have been following the show since it started and all of a sudden it is gone that is wrong to me.
I disagree that it was a pathetic attempt at copying New Zealand's Outrageous Fortune. It was never going to be OF, that was always a given with ABC and the fact they would water it down a huge bunch, but I thought they did a pretty good job of translating it to an American audience and the writing followed the NZ formula pretty faithfully. With that said, I wasn't a fan of OF Season 1 either and it's ratings were not nearly as good as subsequent years. Though, the automatic hatred by what are obviously Kiwis on this board has less to do with the show itself and more to do with their innate feelings about all things American.
Hmmm...too bad about the (lacl of) hype on Scoundrels. I have been wanting to watch. Now it sounds as though I may not get the chance...
the Gates was kinda entertaining, it was no True Blood or even Vampire Diaries, but it wasn't as bad as Rookie Blue which is dreadful
With people so willing to give up on new shows after 2 episodes it really is amazing anything ever gets past the first season I have faith that The Gates will get better and stick around and I'm not getting on the bandwagon to bury it already.

As for A.J. Cook I'm still p*ssed that they screwed her over to allow for that wannabe TV star Forest Whittaker's paycheck but at least they've done the smart thing and given her a few episodes to wrap up the character as opposed to having her just pull a C.D. Parker(Walker Texas Ranger) and vanish inexplicably.
scoundrels is an absolutely pathetic attempt at NZ's original Outrageous Fortune. im glad it gets the cut! if anyone out there didnt (or even did) like it, go check out the show they tried to imitate - Outrageous Fortune!!! LOVE IT!!!
I like The Gates, the whole vampire thing has been over saturated, but this show brings in a bit more than vampires. So far there have been the usual suspects, vampires, werewolves and witches, but they've thrown in demons (a succubus, no less) to the mix. Sad to see AJ Cook go. JJ is one of my favorite characters in the show, and I have loved AJ since Final Destination 2. Hopefully, she will find something else that I wanna watch.
Would re-runs be better than new shows? Answer: Noooooooooo, stupid network execs. How do they get these ratings anyway? From middle America? I don't know, but you only have to look at some of the great shows over the past decade to be canceled Firefly to name one!!!!!!!!
Wow, a 1.0 rating is really bad. I watched both of them and they are ok, not great - typical for the summer season. I am sad to hear (again) that AJ Cook won't be on Criminal Minds much longer. Damn CBS!
Scoundrels is a great show, I tried watching the Gate, but enough with vampires already - it's been done. But Scoundrels has tons of potential and is a good show. It better last the summer season.
ABC cancels everything. I like the Gates, if they work with it, they can take it somewhere...Scoundrels maybe...but....they could work with it if they wanted to. ABC is just too lazy to try. And I avoid reality shows as much as possible so they're only hurting themselves in the end.
I don't see the reason to remake Being Human and Americanize it. the British version is fine. Granted, there is not that many episodes to a season but still it is fine as is. Why not just get the broadcasting rights. Even if that is not possible due to BBC America having them, why not come up with a new idea. At least with Torchwood there was potential of it being a spin-off of the real one if they chose to make it another branch of the team, but this is just a strait remake and americanizing is a hit or miss idea. For every The Office you have Coupling.
Is there any actress left on the planet that hasn't hooked up with Chace Crawford on GG...and please tim, don't knock him out he's too beautiful
I watched both and like them, i personally prefer fall schedule but for the summer these shows are that bad to be cancelled! Especially to play wipeout which is sooooooooooooooo stupid!!
I read this blog and puredieselbc showed a remarkable amount of decent shows that ABC has canceled. I guess I will side with the majority and chastise ABC for being true morons because they wouldn't know a good show if it hit them in the face. Watched both Gates and Scoundrels a couple of times now and although I think Gates has potential, maybe someone should tell their actors to try a little harder or maybe there should be just more vamping, wolfing, witching, and succubusing. Don't care for Scoundrels, more lame acting and the mother gives me the creeps.
hate the gates
i watched The Gates and i think its good....after all we only watched one episode.....give it a try....
The Gates is quite OK for a summer show and anything is better than reruns.
I watched The Gates and i think that is not that bad but it could be of course much better...
I think Scoundrels and The Gates are okay, especially for summertime viewing. At least, they're not reruns, and are entertaining. Lighten up,people, and enjoy something new.
@JigShaun The Torchwood showrunner is Russell T. Davies. And, yes, he is your side of the pond. And, yes, there were also rumours of a US version of Torchwood - in the British press, at least. Tim Haines is the main behind Primeval. Of which, IIRC, we are to get two new seasons of 7 and 6 episodes in a complicated cross-production deal with another UK channel. There were also rumours of a US version of Primeval, and the movie rights have been sold to Warners.
Scoundrels = a terrible copy of an awesome New Zealand show, Outrageous Fortune.
Didn't see Scoundrels or the Gates, but seeing the promos for Scoundrels I knew it was awful. I thought it was interesting having a show about a family of thieves but I just couldn't stand Virginia Madsen as the matriarch ( I know she's a Oscar nominated actress) but just hearing her say "We don't steal, atleast with anybody present" I knew it was awful.
It's true. There has yet to be a US produced version of a UK show that has even TRIED to live up to it's across the pond counterpart. I'm waiting right now for my DVD's of UK Being Human and UK Afterlife. The real shame is that British producers are having the same money woes we are. So I'm still waiting to see if we'll get more episodes of Primeval or Paradox. And I heard a while back that somebody had hired the creator of Torchwood Tim Haines to make a US version. What on EARTH would be the point of that? I mean, even if a US audience could ever get comfortable with an openly bisexual hero, who other than John Barrowman could possibly play Captain Jack Harkness? Besides, I can't even figure out why US networks (other than SyFy of course) MAKE science fiction. Even when they do it well, like Defying Gravity or FlashForward or Surface or Invasion or Firefly, they never get past the first season. I know they're all looking for the next LOST, but that was just a fluke that I think only succeeded because of the strong cast. Oh, forgive me, I forgot, they did renew one Sci Fi show for the Fall. The absolutely dreadful V! The one bright spot this week is new episodes of Warehouse 13. How long have we waited?
When will we finally learn that US remakes of UK shows suck? They're good cause they're British.
i don't like Scoundrels.. but i like The Gates.. maybe if ABC would stop trying to stick everything on one day and people WOULD STOP RELYING ON RATINGS SINCE THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE AT ALL then more shows will have a fighting chance.. and i don't think i'm ever going to give Syfy's Being Human a chance, LONG LIVE BBC
as for the Gates not being popular, i think shows that try to add supernatural characters such as Vampires in to regular life does not really work well. it kinda loses focus since i didn't watch the Gates yet i don't know what its about, but it feels like the main is not a Vampire? right no one cares about a show that has vampire and the main is not even a Vampire if he is idk but didn't look like it to me. Plus it would have been better to create a show with a complete supernatural setting where in the show the world is full of supernatural beings. much like how buffy was back in the day. but something new and original.
Sam Witwer to play vampire Mitchel ah **** no i can\'t stand that guy for playing the new guy and bad guy in popular shows like Smallville and uh dont know another one lol just 1 example but anyway from there i kinda didn\'t like seeing him around. well at least next year \"Series\" 3 of Being Human will be out. i can wait. ill check out the summer us version but **** me i am its gonna be hard for me to watch it almost like everytime u see it ur gonna be hungry but there wont be food around to eat, so ur gonna have that feeling all along as u watch it.. dangit. why oh why,.
It's the networks own fault. Nobody watches the first season of anything anymore. It's like asking people to read an unfinished book which they never get a conclusion to. They have scrued us so many times that it will take a generation before they can start scrueing people again.

The only shows that can make it in the first season are shows with standalone episodes like twiligt Zone or Masters of "something". However this type of shows were never popular to begin with so there will not be any great success with the ratings anyway. Maybe if they can make this type of shows cheap enough they will be satisfied with the ratings. It's hard to get people hooked to a show that reinvents itself with every episode.

Season 1 is a big "no no" already Season 2 is going that way to.

The Networks formula to steal our precious time has to be revisited. They have been taking it for granted that nobody has a life and they can steal our time without giving us any value in return. It doesn't matter how god the first season is, without the conclusion every show is garbage. Maybe now they learn they can't scrue us anymore and they invest some money in giving us endings to the shows we already invested our time in.

The only people they get as viewers to first seasons are people without any life anyway and those people live in the streets and don't even own a television set.

How can the networks be so dumb? don't they learn anything?

It doesn't matter how god a show is if there isn't any warranty on a conclusion to it. It's like telling people jokes that aren't funny. People get tired listening to them. And right now we have been listening to bad jokes for 10 years. And people already know the 10-12 episodes trick, If it's not a HBO or Showtime then they are trying to give us the second part of the first season as Season 2 just to trick us to waste our time.

I believe both Scoundrels and The Gates would have more viewers a few years back before we got used to all of the tricks.

The Networks realy thought they could use the same box of tricks for ever on the same people.

They need to change their viewers if the want to use the same tricks. They maybe can restart with China, however I doubt there is mutch money to be made there, 1 US consumer buy more stuff they don't need then 500 chinesse. And that's what show bussines is about, people buying stuff they don't need. And the stuff people need they are going to buy anyway. It's time to start watching movies again because television is crap......
i think the gates is decent
Mad Love sounds promising with it's current cast, all very lovable actors.
I don't care about the Daytime Emmys, only the Primetime Emmys.
Who cares about soccer anyway? not me. Never have, never will.
sounds like CBS is trying to put and end to Crimimal Minds
As expected, another shows going down ABC's drain.
wow tim needs rehab for judy greer:)
Hi Tim, I have been watching alot of the new summer shows and The Gates and Scoundrels were my two least favorite. I like Katie Cassidy too, I think she has the chops to do great stuff, she just needs to find the right material. I also don't like what they're doing to CM but it does need to be freshen up, as much as I like Joe Mantegna he ain't no Mandy P. :( Mad Love sounds interesting and I like Tyler Labine.
I think ABC have found a new winning formula for shows that a lot of other networks are missing out on. Hype a show up with an interesting marketing campaign, show a few episodes then pull it from the schedule to air the remaining episodes at an undisclosed time/date. And then cancel it. Why other networks aren't following ABC's ingenius strategy is a mystery...

As to the pointless remake of Being Human: WTF? Didn't the fools learn from Life on Mars? It is just another sad case of hollywood thinking a remake will reap dividends and oh look a remake with a vampire in it will reap even more. The Gates proves you can't polish a turdage simply by bunging vampires into the mix...
Wow, I wasn't even aware of the Criminal Minds casting fiasco... x) While I have to say that JJ was probably my least favorite character, I'm kinda sad to see her go... And Paget is leaving soon too? What, is our team going to be all testosterone except for Garcia? Not that I have anything against that but still... as easy as they are on the eyes, there needs to be a balance in there somewhere... Oh, well. As long as Reid, Morgan and Hotch are there, I'll keep watching :P
I was going to give up on Gossip Girl but now that Katie Cassidy is coming on the show. I will stick with it. I love her.
Sometimes I think that you and I think way too much alike, Tim. I'm just a little less intense.
lol its the abc of course they were going to be cancelled.
I didn't bother watching the newest The Gates, and I'm giving Scoundrels one more episode before I give up on that too. so no big loss there.
PS Katie Cassidy was the better Ruby imo.
yeah, scoundrels had the potential but the gates is just garbage.
Jeez, I just wish I would have read this 3 hours ago, I just finished watching the first two episodes of The Gates and posted my review on my facebook profile about 45 mins ago lol. I enjoy sci fi fantasy, and liked the series with no problems. If anyone wants to read my review are welcome to add me, if you use your head you could find and add me easily. Werewolves, vampires, and succubi are all members who enjoy the community.
And Tim. You rock. But i wont follow you on twitter!
Load More Comments