Shameless Shocker: Who Returned to Chicago?

Justin Chatwin Emmy Rossum  Photo Credits Cliff LipsonShowtime

[Warning: This story contains major spoilers from Sunday's Shamelessseason finale. Read at your own risk!]

Amidst all the death on television right now, Shameless did the unexpected by resurrecting a seemingly dead character during Sunday's season finale.

Before Shameless ended its fourth season, a special post-credit scene shocked viewers by revealing that Jimmy/Steve (Justin Chatwin) is still alive and is back in Chicago. Pulling up outside the Gallagher house, a mysterious woman (Dollhouse's Dichen Lachman) asks Jimmy — now going under the alias Jack — if he's going inside. "No, not tonight," he replied, leaving the door open for what will turn out to be a long-awaited and wholly unexpected reunion with Fiona (Emmy Rossum).

Spring TV: Must-watch new shows

At the end of Season 3, Jimmy was supposedly killed off-screen by a Brazilian drug lord. Soon after, showrunner John Wells confirmed that Chatwin would not return as a series regular in Season 4 because his character did indeed get killed. "He has done great work, but that character was coming to an end," Wells said at the time. However, reps for the Showtime series hedged by saying there was a possibility Chatwin could return in some capacity in the future. "I guess It's not over till it's over," Chatwin tweeted Sunday night.

As shocking as Chatwin's return was to the fans, the cast was even more surprised. "HOLLLLLLY MOLY NO IDEA," Rossum tweeted Sunday night. "HE'S ALIVE. JUST FOUND OUT WITH YOU. PPL CALLING ME. SO MAD DIDN'T SEE LIVE." The actress was, however, later filled in on how the season finale shocker came to be. "Got the 411 from [Chatwin] and our producers," she wrote. "They flew him to Chicago and put him in another hotel so no one would know! #sneaky."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am completely shocked right now!!!!!" co-star Shanola Hampton also tweeted Sunday. "I had no idea, best, kept secret!"

Are you happy that Jimmy is alive? Hit the comments!

(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS, Showtime's parent company.)

View original Shameless Shocker: Who Returned to Chicago? at TVGuide.com

Other Links From TVGuide.com

Honestly I was hoping for Fiona to date someone normal and get a good relationship next season. I really would not mind if this JACK turns out to be a nicer twin.

This season was great and I was a little disappointed there was no finale review here at TV.com

Fiona journey was the best. We never saw that of her in the previous three. It looks in the finale that she has worked her way back. The scene she share with Lip at the door steps was so heartwarming and easily one of the best TV scene ever. Both Emmy Rossum and J A White should get some Emmy nomination.

I am very happy for Lip that he has finally made it to college and staying there. I liked the way he juggles the family stuff this season sort of like the Fiona of previous seasons. I liked his new "girlfriend" too. Again watching the restaurant scene with Lip and Mandy tuck at my heartstrings. So sad yet so real. The actress playing Mandy improved a lot this season.

I loved Carl finally fell in love for the first time and felt out of it just as quickly. I am going to miss his girlfriend too.

Kevin continue to amaze me with his does of wisdom on life for everyone from Lip to Mickey. He does so many stupid things at times but he always knew the right time and words to encourage a friend.

I use to hate Mickey but again this season he turn me into a fan.

Shameless is as good as ever and I am hoping more people will watch it.

Sorry but I could not care less for Frank and his new wife.

That was awesome how it was done and especially with Dichen Lachmen behind the wheel of the car. GREAT SHOW, BEST SEASON EVER. EMMY SNUBS TO NOT LOOK FORWARD TO: Emmy Rossum (Fiona), Bill Macy (Frank), Jeremy Allen White ('Lip'), and for this season Noel Fischer (Mickey) who was superb in every episode as Mickey became more awesome, if that was even possible. Hope 'Terry' stays in prison a while. Thumbs up to Community contributor Ian281099 who nailed what was going on with Ian in his post last week. The resurrection of the old Frank in the final scene with Carl (Ethan Cutkosky also had his best material this season; 'Bonnie and Carl'); that shot overlooking the Chicago skyline as Frank lifts the bottle; followed by the return of 'Jack' was a fabulous way to go out. Saddest scene was 'Lip' in the suit being waited on by 'Mandy', still wearing the bruises on her face she got from her boyfriend for sleeping with 'Lip'. Both Emma Greenwell and Jeremy were so good in that scene. She is the biggest reason he's in college and he can't say a word and she doesn't want to spoil this moment she had a huge part in making possible. What both were holding back is what made that scene so powerful and so good.

Remember the mantra for American television - if you didn't see a lifeless body, nobody died.
I'm happy they pulled off a surprise because the finale was pretty tame. I thought the season was great though as it was nice to see Fiona go from perfectly happy Fiona to a trainwreck and try to work her way back. I wonder if the ending with Carl and Frank was a hint that Carl will become like Frank while Ian will become Monica? Either way this show is fantastic and one of my favorites. It was nice to see Jimmy/Steve back in the mix as it left a good surprise at the end to begin the speculation towards next season.
7th comment!. Seriously people this show is great but seeing so many low comments breaks my heart. Also welcome Steve buddy i missed you so much.
I missed him, I haven't felt as connected to the show this season, mainly because of the direction Fiona is taking, I think she is better with him
I honestly didn't miss him. I'm more interested in Mickey + Ian.
Meh, could take it or leave it. Obviously a good thing for the actor, Justin Chatwin, not sure how key he is to the show at this point, Fiona is hard pressed to screw things up any worse than she did this season. Still find the show to be funny, does have some good serious stuff at times too, I think they made a good move getting Carl and Liam more involved in the cast even if it meant a lot less of Ian. Liked the season Finale.
I knew he wasn't killed off Jimmy/Steve/Jack is immortal.
I literally said this when I watched it: "Oh god, not him again..."
So help me Ghu, if it's his "twin" brother Jack... Hell who am I kidding? I'll still keep watching.

• 8:00 pm