Show 101: The Good Wife

SHOW: The Good Wife

PREMIERES: The second season starts on Thursday, January 6 at 9pm on More4

THE PREMISE: Julianna Margulies plays Alicia Florrick, the wife of disgraced state’s attorney Peter Florrick (Chris Noth). When Peter is sent to prison following a sex and corruption scandal, Alicia returns to her first passion—law—as a litigator at the firm of Stern, Lockhart, & Gardner. She must balance her time dealing with difficult cases, providing for her kids, and choosing between her husband Peter and her boss Will Gardner (Josh Charles).

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE IT: The only thing you like more than complex legal drama is a strong female character—or vice versa. Either way, The Good Wife is the best of both, showcasing intriguing cases and Alicia’s impressive lawyering skills. The series began as a procedural but morphed into a serial drama over the course of the first season. If you enjoy shows that take storytelling risks and play with their format, you’ll probably appreciate The Good Wife’s ability to rebrand itself and become stronger than ever.

WHY YOU MIGHT HATE IT: You just couldn’t care less about courtrooms and judges and, ugh, lawyers. Hey, I realize not everyone shares my passion for the Dick Wolf oeuvre. If you want a family drama without all the legal mumbo-jumbo, skip The Good Wife. On the same note, if you like legal procedurals but don’t want to spend too much time on the characters, this show is not for you. While time used to be divided fairly equally, the series now maintains a focus on larger story arcs.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Toward the end of the first season, Alicia got picked to join the firm over ambitious upstart Cary (Matt Czuchry). Cary seemed to have his eye on revenge, joining forces with the equally vindictive Glenn Childs (Titus Welliver), who has spent a lot of time and energy trying to bring Peter down. Meanwhile, Diane Lockhart (Christine Baranski) continued her odd relationship with conservative gun nut Kurt McVeigh (Gary Cole), and Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) answered the question of her sexual ambiguity when she made a move on FBI agent Lana (Jill Flint). But the most important thing to know about Season 1 of The Good Wife is that it ended on a cliffhanger: Alicia had to decide whether to stand by her husband, once again a candidate for state senator, or to run off with Will, who offered romance but no practical solution to Alicia’s dilemma.

The label "gun nut" was placed on Coleman's character not by the show but by a writer on this site. And the show is absolutely unpredictable and well written. I always felt a lack of respect for politicians' wives who stood by the husbands who publically humiliated them. But the show pointed out that in Alicia's case she has children to support, children who still love their father and want their family to remain intact. And she takes a job working for her old college friend because someone has to support her family and the husband is in jail. I think The Good Wife is probably one of the best shows around. There are no simple answers. I do not care for a lot of the things that Will does but it is an attorney's job to protect their client. And he did give Alicia a job when she really needed one and Diane's reasons for wanting Alicia in a new firm are not based on Alicia's talent but on which clients she would bring with her.
Despite the staff writer's ad hominem, the show doesn't portray the Gary Cole character as a "gun nut". As a conservative, I find The Good Wife to be pretty even-handed when it infrequently touches on politics. What's puzzling is what the Cole character sees in the scary looking Diane Lockhart. She gives me the shivers.
Now that Will knows that Diane is planning a move on her own and he will probably lose 1/2 the client base to her-- Why doesn't he suggest an alternative. He seems to be letting her go too easily. I agree with her not wanting to go in the direction Will and the new partner are planning to take the firm. The new guy told Will when he gets back from that trip he has something exciting to offer and sounded to me like his plan was to cut Diane lose anyway. Also I think Diane will get Stern to go with her so that might be 2/3's of the client base going with them. Will having a tantrum and threatening to go to the board is childish and will accomplish nothing. He obviously knows he is in trouble as far as getting the small end of the stick yet he was planning to do the same to Diane. The new partner is a creep!
Him and Will are the same type and deserve each other. I want to see Diane and Alicia in a partnership. Alicia needs to save her marriage and needs to be away from Will so going with Diane makes sense. I hope Alicia figures it out. But Will went nuts when Diane mentioned Alicia might join her I think he had other plans for Alicia in his new firm. Can't wait to see what happens and I hope they don't ruin this show by going in too many directions too soon. LA Law was successful because they moved more slowly. This show seems to be moving pretty fast. Will lost my respect when he found that gun and let the other guy go pick it up and then didn't want to tell the young man his g/f was pregnant. When Will finds out the man knew about the baby he knew it could only have come from Alicia and I think he found out right then that he also lost her respect. Loved the look Alicia gave him. When the man who got the gun came into the police station with it to turn it in I would have loved for him to recognize Will and say "that's the man that told me where the gun was". Will deserved nothing less.
The writer calls him a "gun nut" because he is a ballistics expert - not because he likes Sarah Palin. Or at least that is the main reason.

Anyhoo, I can't wait till the second season starts - it is such a good show with the right mix of procedure, character development and drama :)
This is such an unpretentiously clever show. And when was high ratings ever a sign of quality?
I don't think the writer's suggesting that every Conservative is a gun nut...
So, now any Conservative is now a "gun nut?" No wonder The Good Wife has such lousy ratings. People tend to tune out simplistic left wing propaganda.