Showtime Cancels Weeds; Season 8 Will Be the Series' Last

This is probably for the best: Showtime's Weeds will end after the upcoming eighth season, the network revealed today through EW.com. But the good news is that the timing of the decision gives creator Jenji Kohan enough time to satisfactorily wrap up protagonist Nancy Botwin's story, instead of leaving viewers wondering exactly what happens to Nancy and her station wagon after she drives off a cliff and the scene fades to black, or whatever.

The decision appears to be a one-sided rather than a mutual thing, as EW says Kohan is "sad" over the news. However, we'd heard plenty of rumors and hints that Season 8 would be Weeds' last, so surprising news this is not. So keep your head up, Jenji! Not only do you have a bitching name, but eight seasons is a pretty fantastic run! And there are plenty of people out there who would say the series overstayed its welcome by about four or five seasons (I stopped watching during Season 3 after the first two stellar seasons).

What say you, reader? Will you be sad once Weeds is gone or are you all like, "It's about tiiiiime!" And more importantly, where do you think Mary-Louise Parker end up next?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I am very sad that it ended!!! I love this show and will miss it like crazy!!!!
I was sad that it ended!!!!!
I am so upset that this show is over! I loved this show...my hubby and I loved this show and would always watch it together...the only thing I hated about this show was that they changed it from an hour to a half hour event...My hubby is currently unavailable to our family so for the show to end and for me to not even share the last two seasons with him Just sux even more! Why oh why would showtime do this to us? It was an amazing show that still had many years left in it I'm sure of it...and now there is just a void of joy in my life...We actually had a show that we both equally enjoyed..and not just us but all our friends as well so WHY>??? Who was smoking what when they made the call to cancel this amazing crazy ass show? And furthermore...to end it like they did...UGH>..I was so left unsatisfied and upset...what everything is good for them now? Rich...and happy and what is up with andy and nancy? And why was Stevey white all of a sudden and no hint of his previous mexican looking tan? How did he turn white in the matter of one episode that jumped like 7 years? Please someone see the error of their ways and bring this show back...Oh and doug and his cult??? Really? There is so much more to this story...bring it back and please let us live through the crazy life of the botwins once more. I hope someone realizes the error of their ways and the show makes a comback...and a good one like in the beginning and not like the sad non suspenceful crappy ending to an epic show that we have come to love and enjoy and wait as every season we took even more amazing and interesting twists and turns of love, mischief, illegal activities, good intentions and bad decisions and watched a family stay together through the roughest of times only to be left feeling empty as they seemingly went legit, got rich and had no fun at all, I doubt that a family that went through all the hell that they went through and were always living on the edge were finally happy with a "normal" life...with no adrenaline rushes or life threatening events to deal with on a daily basis. Two thumbs down for the end of this epic adventure but I still have hope that someone will bring the show back...and realize that it was a show that brought my hubby and I closer and brought our mundane, boring lives a lil bit of excitement.
nooooooo weeds is my favorite series (sad :(
wtf. grrrrrrr.
Well I for one really liked weeds. I am upset it was taken off the air. it was creative to me. It was thrill waiting to see what was next. Mary-Louise Parker was great in Weeds the role really became her an the cast had awesome chemistry with each other on camera. The last epsoides was not expected. I thought it would've been more explosive. I hope another show similar is created. Thanks for 8 season wish there were more.
I will be sad to see the show go. I still enjoy seeing the twisted wackiness the Botwins get involved in and I think Doug is the funniest character on TV.

Such a shame to see it end! I guess I'll be dropping my subscription to showtime since Weeds was the only reason I have it.... money in my pocket now.
I thought after they left Agrestic that the series started to go downhill. I really disliked season 6 and after the first three episodes scanned a few only to jump to the final episode. I did think season 7 was a better season, but still far from its hey-day. Out of my group of friends I am the only one that still pays attention to the show.

Part of what made the show so good was the setting and the supporting characters they had. Moving down to S.Cal eliminated a lot of what made the show special.

Making the show go as long as it has takes away a lot of the "will she get caught" tension, much in the same way it has done to Dexter. Now that she was officially caught and released, it really kills a big part of the story. I will watch season 8, because I have watched it for so long and am curious to see how it will all wrap up. Though, I will mainly watch it out of nostalgia and all the feelings that come with it.
Weeds is still a very witty show. People need to realize that this show evolved from a suburban pot comedy into a true drama about dealing drugs. Appreciate it for what it has become and stop hating.
I'm disappointed I won't be able to watch it anymore. I think they had it right at the airport. The S06 finale was awesome and they could've ended it there. It was the best finale ever. And the show would've went out with a bang, but then they made a S07 and now an S08 is coming. I will watch it, but I hope that the actual series finale is just as strong and well done as the S06 finale was. Good Luck Jenji!! Looking forward to it!
I wish they wouldn't have been in such a rush to kill of the Mexican drug lord and have Nancy leave him. It started getting interesting again in season 5 with being part of the whole mafia scene, n Shane being a bad ass gangster... so when Nancy split on her new husband after Shane kills that chick that nobody liked anyways, i thought it would have made more sense to get her husband to take care of things and then play it from there... i feel like Guillermo and all the rest of them still had a lot of plot left over in them. Them on the run was bust... except the episodes involving the the above mentioned and season 7 had no point in my eyes... hope they remedy this last season.
Show should've never left Agrestic (sp?). Once the show left Agrestic, specifically when she made it through the tunnel into Mexico and saw Esteban, the character should've been killed. At the local level, I can support and suspend disbelief under the "every minority man's fantasy/MILF" image that Nancy represents. At the distribution level of an Esteban, however, people get killed for seeing what they aren't supposed to see, as the arrest of El Loco proved.

I think it's called Mary Sue in fan fiction where a female character is unflappably beautiful, smart, and desirable. If anything, the show should be inspiration to female writers of that character type that there is an avenue for that type of writing if you disguise it well enough.
Awesome! All I could manage was making through a season and a half of this terrible, terrible show...and it was a struggle to watch for that long.
I will be happy it's over. The mother has become very selfish and a real b$$ch over the last few seasons. It should have ended after the second or third season. This last one with the "I'm a ridiculously good looking drug dealer" battle and the whole upside down shop was just horrendous, also Andy is really annoying when he's around all the time. As for Mary-Louise Parker, she'll end up in my bed (a man can dream).
I loved this show, until last season. It lost its excitement and became about a slutty mom trying to gain custody over her youngest child. Boring.
watched it they left the suburbs, after that the show made no sense anymore... its a miracle it lasted that long and people kept watching....

I'm glad the show had such great success, and I love the show for it's escapism but it does feel like a good place to end, and on it's own terms which many shows don't get the chance to do. I will be sad. I'd love to see Mary-Louise Parker in American Horror Story or maybe something a little more scifi.
After I hadn't been too happy with the show for quite some time, I actually thought that season 7 was amazing and brought Weeds totally back on track, but then again, I think that eight seasons sounds about right.
I'm more interested in where Hunter Parrish will end up next. :P
They really should have given her more notice. I for one would really have preferred them knowing they were walking into the last season...
I watched all 7 seasons during a slow week at work. It started off strong, but now I think it has lost its way plot-wise. One last season to wrap up loose ends is a great idea.
About F*ing time! It certainly has overstayed its welcome. I mean I watch it and still have those WTF moments during episode endings but the story has gotten way off track from its humble beginnings
For some reason, I thought this was already canceled! Guess I have to catch up.
I really liked the show in the beginning. It was a lot more light-hearted: soccer mom selling weed to support her kids, the whole hypocrit thing about people hating weed as an evil drug when THOSE SAME PEOPLE are abusing prescription meds and drinking. The zany customers she had.

Then it got darker, and darker, and darker.

And the show started to go from metaphor -> surreal -> completely nutso
I love loved the first 3 seasons, but then the character of Celia Hodes (played by the fabulous Elizabeth Perkins) was literally humiliated. Perkins understandably left, which was a big loss but the show managed to at least stay entertaining. Season 7 was when the show officially 'jumped the shark' with so many 'as if' moments it was painful to finish. I hope Jenji Kohan will put her 'tail between her legs' so to speak, beg Perkins to return and wrap up the season in a way that harks back to it's incredible first seasons. That said, I will miss it.
I liked the show, MLP was fantastic, but whereas the first few detours were interesting, later it seemed like this was a show that couldn't find itself any more. So, I'll be happy with a good 8th season to wrap it up. Good job, could have been excellent, but a nice experiment none the less.
For me, this is a show that went from an enjoyable half hour to a true chore to watch. Although I've somehow slogged through all of its seasons, I'm glad to see this one finally being put down. This should have happened more than half its life ago. Almost every character has become unlikeable. At least I had the strength to fully abandon the equally unlikeable folks on Californication.

It's time to end it ... but they need to bring Celia Hodes for the last episode.
Has had ups and downs but it managed to completly change enviroment and supporting characters again and again and was still pretty good. I didn't think it would survive leaving agrestic.
i guess its time :*( so sad.....
Considering that Justin Kirk got cast in Animal Hospital, they probably decided that it would be hard to do the show without Andy.
I saw the ad for the show, which prompted me to see if this was the final season of Weeds. Not sad to see it end tbh. I think it was a great show to begin with, but has gone on too long.
I am sad to see it go, but it is for the best for the reason mentioned in the article. We will have a solid ending as opposed to last years. It was very risky to end it that way, especially since they were not renewed yet.
Should have ended long ago.. It is a shame all these good shows try to keep going so far past their primes.

I'm not surprised. It's time anyway.
Still love Weeds...never stopped watching or enjoying the show. (Seasons 5 and 6 are the weak spots here, i know)

But season 7 was fantastic and really set up a great Final year...will be a bit sad to see the Botwins go though.

But you're right...8 seasons isn't too shabby and all.
Time to move on, RIP
I liked it up until season 7, Andy and Doug made the show.
Sorry, I would have liked to see Weeds for years and years, but it's right: better put an end at some point!
Haraaaay, Its about time Weeds was shown where the door was.
Yeah, this is a good thing. I adored the first two seasons, and had some fun with the the next three. Six was rough and the last season, with Nancy in New York, was pretty awful. Hopefully Kohan can wrap up her story and make this season memorable, unlike the last few...
Finally this has been going downhill since season 3 and the main character being a whore doesn't help either so goodbye.
GUTTED! =(
I miss Justin Kirk, but I guess I'll see him in Animal Practice.

Stopped watching somewhere around season... 3 or 4? I know people that kept up with the series - " in for a penny.." - but I don't think the results were particularly satisfying.
I never managed to watch the show... so it was basically like Heroes- in the sense that the first season was great and then each season got worse?
The drop off is far less severe than Heroes, season 2 is arguably better than 1 (where as anything post season 1 of Heroes was piss poor).

Season 5/6 weren't as good but still good enough to keep me sated, season 7 was better and hopefully the final one will tie things off well.

Sad to see it go but 8 seasons is great, and i've thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with the Botwins (or Newmans) for so long. Doug and Andy in particular will be missed.
They should have put it to bed at the end of season 7. The ending would have been a perfect series finale, with Nancy getting what she deserved for being such a narsisistic, lousy mother.
The ending WOULDN'T have been a perfect finale, because Nancy DIDN'T get what she deserved...because it didn't show who got shot. Now that there's an 8th season, we know Nancy didn't get shot -or at least not killed.

But it should have ended earlier for the one reason -they didn't have any good writing left. This happens all the time, and it's always sad. The British do too little, but the American do WAY too much. But that's the difference between reserve and gluttony.
It's about time!! This show ran it's course a long time ago and the story drifted away from being about a suburban mom dealer. Still interested to know how it will end though so will certainly be watching season 8 - Not sad that's it's going away though
Although it still provides lots of good laughs, the show really has just stretched out too long. If it were an hour long show with enough meat to bear the time, it would be one thing, but being as heavy as this show can sometimes be (while still having to cut story time-lines short by constantly jumping to comedic conclusions) I think we all have really just had enough with Nancy's always getting it wrong. Always falling into the same patterns of behavior. It's too much like real life....and we all just want to get on with that too.
Finally! Looking forward to the final season wrapping up without another annoying ambiguous ending.
I still watch it and will until the final episode of season 8 I just hope it all wraps up and we close the show with a great ending not something we all complain about for years
I'm glad it's getting canceled. It's not the same show anymore. They changed it too much.
Load More Comments