Showtime Dates Returns for Homeland, Dexter

It's only March, but I already know where I will be in late September. Showtime today announced the premiere dates for two of its heavy hitters, the veteran slash-em up drama Dexter and the paranoia-inducing thriller Homeland. Both show will debut on September 30, just a few days ahead on the calendar than they premiered last year.

Dexter, which stars Michael C. Hall as a blood spatter expert that just so happens to be a serial killer, will return for its seventh season and has already been renewed for an eighth. Homeland, starring Claire Danes as a psychotic CIA agent with a love-hate relationship with a suspected terrorist played by Damian Lewis, follows an impressive rookie season with Season 2. Both upcoming seasons will run a dozen episodes each.

Though they share the same Sunday night block, the two shows are heading in very opposite directions. Dexter is well past its glory days as Showtime's main attraction, with recent seasons irking all but the show's most hardcore fans. Homeland is the network's new darling, earning critical praise up the wazoo for its writing and acting.

We're amped up for Season 2 of Homeland, but admittedly pretty indifferent for Season 7 of Dexter. Where do you stand?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I love both shows- obviously, Homeland, in it's infancy is still edgy and gripping- I'm interested to see where it goes next as it has to develop characters and relationships further along with the storyline.

Dexter tho, I love the show. I know there are complaints about him becoming more pathetic and losing it a bit but isn't that the whole point with Dexter? him battling with his internal darkeness- is he really just bad? The trials of being a good father and still being a killer. Saying all that I do want the badass Dex back. The quick reflexes and 'noone gets the drop on Dex' need reviving.

Personally, I liked the Deb freakin out over feelings for him sub story she's so messed up and it's easy for a shrik to 'plant' those feelings into an emotionally damaged person. Liked it. Looking forward to next season!!!!!!
We love Dexter!
Dexter rocks. Watched it from the start and have no issues with it whatsoever. Those that have issues with the series, all I can say is get a life.
i have just started watching dexter,i am at the begining of the 5th seasion and am vary ingrosed in the show. may be if i had watched the show like most one at a time over the past 4 years or so things might be the same as the ones exprsed hear.right now i am vary happy to see that there will be at least one more seasion as there is so little to watch on any form of tv now days.i pay for 250 channels and end up watching the cartoon channel with my 8 year old nephew because i cant find any thing that even perks my interst. i am to the point of asking god for any thing to watch on tv.i hope there will be more shows like dexter comming soon otherwise it more cartoon network.
Hope there are going to be more homeland shows. Anxious to know how they get around the ending last season.
Dexter, Homeland, Game of thrones, bring em all!! still upset that Life was cancelled
Sigh. And here in the UK we're STILL waiting for the premiere of S6 of Dexter. No clue why it lags so far behind, unlike so many other shows. Mind you, we're way behind on Nikita and Supernatural, too. :P
I'm still waiting for the return of Episodes! I know it's been renewed over a year ago but still no news that I've found on a season 2 premiere date...
I hope that Dexter's writing gets back on track for the final 2 seasons. For one thing, Dexter has been reduced to an almost bumbling character rather than the razor sharp killer he was before.

There also needs to be a really great villain like Trinity. Someone who challenges him on every level and forces him to truly return to his vintage killer instict.

They also need to drop the whole storyline with Debra being in love with Dexter. Now that she knows who he is, she should return to being the supportive sister trying to use his skills while protecting his secret.
Wow, that's a long wait for some more fantastic Claire Danes and Mandy whatshisname.

Bring it on sooner please!
I can't wait for the return of Homeland, it's quickly become one of my favourite shows.

Dexter, on the other hand, used to be one of my favourite shows, but the writing has been terrible for a couple of seasons now. I doubt it will be renewed after season 8 and I think I can keep with it for 24 more episodes.
I love Dexter, but I think its done. I'll probably at least watch the first episode anyway just to see how bad it is. But, god, that last season was really trying. Havent watched Homeland yet but I think I will cos it looks amazing
I'm probably a glutton for punishment with Dexter, but hey, it took longer for the show to go south than it did for the books!
both shows are a must, w8ing for sep 30
Very excited for Homeland. I hope Dexter improves, but that season finale was pretty insane. They better not chicken out!
Just can't wait for both but its true that script writer from Dexter have been lazy lately!

But won't miss it!
Dexter's a bit lacking, but I'm sure we'll see the next season improve.

As for Homeland, it had its strong points, but here's hoping Claire Danes took some acting lessons over the break -- he 'attacks' were so contrived it was hard to watch (and please, commenters, don't pull the, "Because you don't know what it's like to have mental illness/a family member with mental illness", because I do, in fact). I mean, her acting is a step up from in Terminator 3, but not by much.

All the same, looking forward to both. But why are they starting so late? Didn't they finish their seasons at the end of last year?? So that means, what? a two month season? What's happened to television??
Are you for real? Claire was amazing, as her Golden Globe win showed.
Not really, and the Golden Globes don't prove anything when the choices are so limited. And yes, I'm for real. She had some strong moments throughout the series, but on the whole she was GAWD-awful to watch and made me want to change the channel. The rest of the staff, for the most part, did a fine job -- particularly Damien Lewis, Mandy Patinkin, and Morena Baccarin (though I couldn't stop picturing her from "V", which was distracting since that show was so awful.

I'm glad people disagree, though. What fun would it be if we all liked the same actors and/or their acting? I loved Danes way back when, but I don't buy her sickness -- at least the way it was written.
The globes pooled from every performance on TV...they just narrowed it down to five. You're allowed to think she wasn't good, even though from a traditional standpoint (as in the technicality of her work, the way she was consistently in-character, the emotion she put into it and how she completely became this woman) she was exceptional.
Dexter still blows away network based crime dramas so I stand tall with Dexter. Big changes are coming with his sis knowing so things should look up for the final two seasons.
Sounds Good I am happy to see Dexter, but I am so excited for Homeland.
I lost interest in Homeland half way through. It was definitly interesting with the relationships and the overall plot but Dexter is still a better show. yes it could have better plot lines for the characters(nothing wrong with Debra's development, liked how they show a new side to her) and a more interesting villian( The last one was kind of obvious to figure out). Knowing that dexter is going to have a three year story arc might show a much stronger plotline.
I found Homeland to be a chore with no payoff, and I'm not planning on wasting my time with season 2. However, I'd keep watching Dexter even if I hadn't been waiting since season 2 for Debra to find out about Dexter, but since she has I'm actually looking forward to it.
...well it's the best chore I've ever done, then.
Looking forward to Breaking Bad :)

Dexter has become appalingly bad.
I guess my avatar sells my opinion short, but I'm still psyched for Dexter. Season 6 was a disappointment because of the Gellar fiasco, but the final twist makes the next season must-watch TV. I'm still concerned about the producers saying the creepy Deb/Dexter love thing staying on board, but I'm confident the writers will find a way to compromise.

I'm waiting for the Homeland Blu-Ray to get started on that. Do we have a release date for it?
Season 6 of Dexter was a big disappointment IMO, but I'm hopeful they'll be able to bounce back in season 7. Homeland had an excellent first season and is up there as one of my favorite TV shows. I'll be watching both of them next season, but I have much higher expectations for Homeland.
I am looking forward to the awesomeness of Homeland... and hoping for redemption for Dexter...
Staff
Fun fact about Dexter: Showtime recently sent around an extensive questionnaire asking for feedback on potential storylines for Season 7. The tone of the questions made it seem like they knew full well how crappy Season 6 was and wanted to right that wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the show suddenly drops the incest and shakes things up a bit. Not saying I'm dying to recap it again, but as someone who has sat through six seasons of varying quality, I'd love to see a revitalized Dexter.
I heard the d-bags on the imdb.com boards talking about this, I thought they were just kidding. This could be a good and/or bad thing. On one hand, they acknowledge the sixth season sucked, but on the other hand, they seem to lack direction and don't know what to do. We'll just see how it all plays out.
I was a bit disappointed when they didn't go through with the terrorist attack on Homeland, it was one of those moments I disagreed with so much that it reminded me of the final moments of Heroes season 1, after that though, the finale was great, and the show itself was great too, as a result, I'm cautiously optimistic for the second season.

And Dexter... Kind of looking forwards to it, with Debra having just found out about Dexter, and someone saying that Dexter would end after the eight season and that season 7 and 8 would sort of be about the same thing. That said, Debra/Dexter is a horrible idea, Dexter has become a terribly sloppy killer, Miami Metro has become the worst police department ever, Harrison Jr. was a terrible idea to begin with, all the other characters are terrible, and Dexter talking with his dead dad about what he's thinking while also saying what he's thinking and hearing him think at the same time has gotten so overused it makes me sleepy. So... I'll be watching until Showtime announces a ninth season.
Dexter forever
HOMELAND HOMELAND HOMELAND!
Homeland will be great, hope it can top it's first season. In case most people here don't know, Tim doesn't watch Dexter, so what he is saying about the show is likely based on Price, Louis or some other tv.com schmuck told him, so he needs to shut his obnoxious mouth and mind his damn business...just kidding about the last part. Dexter season 6 was bad, but it did leave off somewhere very interesting, so I'm intrigued about that at least. It is far past it's prime, but I'm sticking with it until the end.
Dexter will never be as good as it was in season 4. John Lithgow was an amazing villain, and Dexter will only be as strong as its villains. The only way to bring this show back to its glory days is to craft a serial killer as cunning and contrived as Dexter... Maybe have Dexter take on Dexter 2.0... a killer with a conscience who only kills bad guys, but is a bit too vocal about it.
Season 4 was absolutely amazing, and a large part of that was because of John Lithgow. Comparing Trinity to Travis is like comparing Joker to Crazy Quilt, it just shows how awful last season's villain was. Your idea about the next villain sounds good, but that lab geek from last season will likely the big bad. I don't know if he'll have any of those traits you mentioned.
Looking forward to both seasons. Hoping Dexter makes a vast improvement over the shambles that was season 6 though. Needs to go back down the dark root.

As for Homeland, looking forward to see what they do to continue the story. Surely they can't stretch it out for a third season?
They can, and I predict they will.

Who wants to bet they strech Homeland out till season 6?
I love both shows, and am looking forward to both new seasons, "Homeland" of course with a fantastic first season, but "Dexter" still has plenty of life, and I am glad to finally get the storyline where Deb now knows of her brother's actions.