Sleepy Hollow: Here's a Season 1 Refresher to Help Prepare You for Season 2

Fox's genre-bending supernatural drama Sleepy Hollow was the breakout hit of last season. Featuring involuntary time-traveler Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) and his unlikely partner Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), the series put a new spin on the Washington Irving short story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by taking the basic premise and infusing it with elements of period drama, supernatural intrigue, and buddy-cop humor. Over the course of the show's freshman season, the dynamic duo battled seemingly endless forces of darkness, all while Ichabod navigated the strange, confusing world that is modern technology.

There are now only 10 days left until Sleepy Hollow returns for Season 2—the premiere airs Monday, September 22 at 9pm—and we're assuming you're doing one of three things: 1) familiarizing yourself with the series as part of your Great Fall TV Cram, 2) re-watching Season 1 in preparation, or 3) feeling like you need a refresher course because it's been a while since you've hung out with Ike, Abbie, Evil John Cho, and the rest of the gang. The series is heavily steeped in its own mythology, so it's totally understandable if your recollection of what transpired during the first 13 episodes is a little cloudy; if you've forgotten why Katrina is in Purgatory, can't recall the significance of the Sin Eater, or struggle to understand anything else from the show's first season, now's the time to start brushing up on your Sleepy Hollow history. Luckily, there's still plenty of time left to study!

For your memory-jogging convenience, we've put together a simple episode guide with brief synopses and links to all our Season 1 reviews. (If you're still a Sleepy Hollow virgin, all 13 episodes are available on Hulu Plus, and we highly recommend checking them out.) We'll be following up next week with a rundown of our favorite Sleepy Hollow moments (feel free to suggest your own in the comments!), but in the meantime, best of luck with re-watching, re-reading, and counting down the days until Ichabod and Abbie return and life has meaning again!

Episode 1: "Pilot"

Welcome to a world of magic bibles, destined partnerships, and more! Sexy Ichabod Crane wakes up in 2013, where the Headless Horseman is on the loose and threatening the residents of Sleepy Hollow, including Lieutenant Abbie Mills.

Episode 2: "Blood Moon"

Ichabod and Abbie team up to take down a bitchy witch and Evil John Cho returns from the dead, flappy neck skin and all!

Episode 3: "For the Triumph of Evil"

A version of the Sandman is indirectly killing people in Sleepy Hollow by using their own guilt against them, and Abbie makes a startling confession regarding her own shady past.

Episode 4: "The Lesser Key of Solomon"

The Hessians make their first appearance as they search for a supernatural artifact that will open a doorway to hell, and Ichabod finds an unexpected friend in "Yolanda," the name belonging to the voice of the Northstar assistance system in Abbie's car.

Episode 5: "John Doe"

A young boy from the lost colony of Roanoke (just go with it) arrives in Sleepy Hollow, carrying a deadly plague. Ichabod is the only one who can save him and stop the Horseman of Pestilence—sometimes called Conquest—from breaking through to our world.

Episode 6: "The Sin Eater"

The Horseman returns, Ichabod is kidnapped, and Abbie and her sister Jenny track down John Noble's Henry Parrish, a.k.a. the Sin Eater, to help free Ichabod from his ties to the Horseman.

Episode 7: "The Midnight Ride"

As the Horseman searches for his skull, Ichabod and Abbie search for a way to destroy it so that the three remaining Horseman can't rise and incite the apocalypse. Ichabod also rails against Americans for butchering their own history.

Episode 8: "Necromancer"

Evil John Cho can speak to dead people, Ichabod learns the sanctity of the fist bump, and the Horseman's true identity, as well as what he's really after, is revealed.

Episode 9: "Sanctuary"

While Abbie and Ichabod attempt a rescue mission, we finally learn through flashbacks why their fates are entwined. Abbie also makes a startling discovery about Ichabod's past that not even he knows.

Episode 10: "The Golem"

Henry Parrish returns to helps Abbie and Ichabod as they search for the truth about what happened to his son. Meanwhile, a giant golem is traipsing around Sleepy Hollow, murdering seemingly unrelated folks just because it can. Bonus: Ichabod takes on fun house mirrors!

Episode 11: "The Vessel"

Jenny is possessed by a demon known as Ancitef (not for the first time, by the way), and Abbie and Ichabod must find a way to save her before it is too late.

Episodes 12 and 13: "The Indispensable Man" and "Bad Blood"

In the two-part finale, Captain Irving confesses to murder in order to protect his young daughter, and the shocking and true identity of the Horseman of War is revealed, sending Ichabod and a newly freed Katrina into a tailspin. Abbie, meanwhile, remains trapped in a dollhouse in Purgatory.

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 premieres Monday, September 22 at 9pm on Fox.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Sep 16, 2014
New Sleepy Hollow posts after ... how long have I been in a box again?

Puns aside, nice summary of the entire season, except forgetting all the inadvertent nods to Ichabbie that the writers keep pretending are NOT happening.

Favorite parts: Ichabod and Abbie's first shared smile at the end of the pilot, Yolanda, Abbie revealing to Jenny she's the second Witness, Ichabod walking on water to get to Roanoke, Capt. Irving going Neo during the Horseman fight, Ichabod getting updated on Thomas Jefferson, Corbin showing up as a ghost, Ichabod 'vowing' to come back to Abbie, IN A CHURCH, and every tiny metaphoric detail the writers managed to squeeze into every episode to make the entire season feel both cohesive and a wonderfully crafted piece of an even bigger puzzle. Now stop toying with our hearts and make Ichabod wonderfully jealous when Abbie's supposed love interest arrives in season 2.
Sep 13, 2014
I just love Ichabood and Abbie!

And Captain Irving, and Sheriff Corbin, and later on Jenny and Henry, and Macey!

Katrina and Andy were an acquired taste for me, but I like them too. And I can hardly wait to see what they come up with next, so: Bring it on!
Sep 13, 2014
This was without a doubt my favorite show of last season. I have already watched the season a couple more times. For me it is kind of like Psych a show that is just utterly watchable and you can just keep watching it and enjoying the show. I hope they do well with the increased episode count and that Fox lets them do their thing.
Sep 12, 2014
This is why you can never judge a show on a pilot or on a shows first impression. When i first heard about the show i thought the show was going to be at best stupid at worst offensively so and the pilot was only mildly entertaing but galf way through the first season the show became something worth watching and by the finale i was genunly enjoying it.
Sep 13, 2014
To me, it was love at first sight. First 10 minutes into the pilot and I was hooked. By the end of the first season I knew I would watch this show until the very end.
Sep 13, 2014
I admit that only Mison's pretty face kept me going at the beginning, the stories were boring, but luckily they didnt wait too long to make them more complicated and fun, and now i'm fully on board. The humour touches are essential to me, i love that the show does't take itself so seriously.
Sep 13, 2014
Same here, wrote this show way too early. I couldnt help it tho, the promos just looked so cheesy.
Sep 12, 2014
Which was the one where they went to McDonald's?
Sep 13, 2014
the Thanksgiving episode, obviously.
Sep 12, 2014
Tom Mison, where were you all this time, man?
In the UK... ;-P

Staff
RIGHT?
Sep 12, 2014
I stopped reading after "Put a new spin on the Washington Irving short story" because the only thing it took was Icabod's name and the idea that a dude didn't have a head. This show has it's charms but the very very bad title rankles me and after that remind I was kinda done (except for my soapbox against TV producers/writers/executives that think the TV audience is illiterate). I mean seriously why not just name it anything else, rather than pretend it has anything to do with the short story. It makes me hate the show, which otherwise has moments of hilarity in its complete absurdity.
It was a great piece.
Sep 12, 2014
Are you ranting against the news post's author or the show? It may not be wholly accurate to call it a "new spin", as the plot is completely changed, but thats only a niggling detail. The show itself is unquestionably derived from elements of that story: Katrina, Hessians, the name of the town, and even the identity of the "headless horseman". And why wouldn't the show be named after the town it's set in? (NB: "set in" is often different than "filmed in".)
Sep 13, 2014
Please tell me you are kidding in that it is 'unquestionably derived"? We go from a goofy school teacher in lust with the local Dutch immigrant to a witch and the American Revolution. No. Just no.
Sep 13, 2014
The show. And slightly the nonsensical nod to putting a "new spin" on it. But mainly anyone, and especially the writing and production staff, who ever imagines it has anything to do with the short story.
Sep 12, 2014
Wow, if you feel this way about Sleepy Hollow, I wonder what you would think of Elementary's Holmes and Watson? I usually object to the use of famous stories titles to just go ahead and change it all and call it a version, but for me this is not as bad. More than a version, this is like an extended version of the original. The internet is full of those fan fics that extend already existing stories, so I guess people generally like it. Maybe you can see it that way.
Sep 13, 2014
Um...did you ever read the short story? Because the show has absolutely nothing to do with the short story, it's not an extended version it is completely unrelated. Elementary, of which I'm not fond, is at least a reimagining of Sherlock Holmes. He is still a quirky detective.
Sep 13, 2014
Haha, if that is all you need to have Sherlock Holmes, then we are fine. As we are with sleepy Hollow as long as there is a headless fellow :-) I guess it all depends on thelevel of attachment we have to a certain original, then...
Sep 14, 2014
Very clearly, we are not going to agree on this. I don't dislike Elementary, but look, it is absolutely essential to the character of Sherlock Holmes to lack empathy, to be rather snobbish and self-confident in his superior intelligence. Elementary's Sherlock is defined BY EMPATHY. That's just nonsense, if you are calling the fellow Sherlock Holmes. Instead, they give him a similar house in NEW YORK in the CURRENT DAYS, a brother that is called the same, a partner that, although BEING A WOMAN, has the same name. And then it is a faithful version? :) We could go on and on. I realized that no fans of the books were watching the show when I read the comments in Noel's reviews here at tv.com. No wonder. If you are a fan (I am not particularly, but know the books), you must want to pull your hair all along as you watch. Sleepy Hollow the TV show starts by bringing back Ichabod Crane that dissappears in the original story, and giving that a new meaning. Not trying to tell the same story. But it is using enough elements of the original to be recognizable. We are not going to agree on this :)
More +
Sep 14, 2014
Well, I've tried to be pretty clear in my criteria for building off of source material, not adapting. And it mostly has to do with staying true to characters and world of the original. Figures like Robin Hood, King Arthur, Hamlet even Sherlock Holmes put up with a lot of "re-imaginings" while maintaining a sense of integrity to the original. This doesn't do that. And since all you've put forth are character names being the same and the fact that one of the characters is missing a head. I'm not convinced. It's not really an even trade.
Sep 14, 2014
I disagree, you are just looking at the comparisons differently for some reason (i believe you are more attached to that one original, as i said) but it is the same thing. Moriarty is Sherlocks lover in this version, so hey, take that in trade for Katarina being a witch, and let's move on?
Sep 14, 2014
A quirky (possibly drug addled) certainly anti-social but brilliant detective who works independently with his sidekick and deduces stuff based on arcane knowledge? Yeah it's close enough. He still solves crimes. He still has a sidekick. He still has a recognizable personality and character to the original. He still overly identifies with the criminal mind. Making Watson a chick wasn't successful in my opinion but doesn't undermine the fact that they are still working in the world of Sherlock Holmes with the same underlying tenor and themes.

Sleepy Hollow has fun moments on its own, but has absolutely nothing to do with the world of the story, the characters of the story, or the themes of the story. Icabod is not a bumbling, witless, scared school master--his character, history, actions are completely imagined, not derived. We didn't pick up from place in the story and say, let's add more color to the horseman and make it about the apocalypse. They threw the entire story out altogether, set it vastly in the past--and brought everything revolutionary war to add to it, changed the setting, changed the characters, the plot, the relationship, the everything except some names. Having a character without a head? Heck, let's throw that ghost from Harry Potter in there and say the show was derived from that.

Which whatever, nobody needed a faithful adaptation of Sleepy Hollow. But sorry, I've got a soapbox when TV or movies take character names and something out of context from page 52 and say it is based on source material, like nobody would have ever read the actual story so no one is going to call them on it. Sorry, their audience is literate, and some of them might resent being treated like an idiot.
More +
Sep 12, 2014
Ichabod talking to "Yolanda" was perfect I love that scene it was one of my favourite.
Sep 12, 2014
My number one scene of the show :-)

My close runner ups:
  • Ichabod demanding an even MORE modern phone.
    • Apparently Apple's branding really DOES work :-)
  • Ichabod versus The Internet
    • Somehow 4 keystrokes brings up a live video chat with a sex worker :-)
  • Abbie listens to her voicemail and you hear Ichabod has left it like a letter.
    • Respectfully your's, Ichabod Crane :-)
  • Ichabod losing his mind at the Paul Revere expert
  • Ichabod trying on modern clothes
Sep 12, 2014
All of those are such brilliant moments that you remember because they weren't forced and it didn't seem cheesy in any way they just flowed and made sence.
Sep 12, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Sep 12, 2014
Having to eat so much crow about how much I scoffed at this whole concept - and then became the biggest fanboy. How else can I explain how I spent 3 days making gifs for the primer I posted? Eveythin I hear coming from you has a touch of fangirl in it, Kaitlin and that is too cool.

Incidentally - I caught Selfie the other night and you could not have been more right about Karen Gillan and the accent. It is a good thing she can't help but still be adorable. John Cho was great - but I'd much rather have Deputy Andy back.
Sep 12, 2014
You were not the only one... The premise sounded the most preposterous thing on TV in a loooong while...
Sep 12, 2014
I guess great minds think alike since I wrote and posted this about 7 hours before you. It was promoted a few hours ago to the front page:

Sleepy Hollow 101: A Primer for Season 2 (In GIFs!!!)

So happy you are going to be covering it this fall. Reading about shows I enjoy is so much more fun when you guys are equally excited by them There is never enough coverage of Icky in the 21st Century:

Sep 13, 2014
I don't really like the show, but I really liked that moment. I hate those ****ing barriers too.
Sep 13, 2014
Oh so at least someone has the same opinion as me. Good to know. :-)
Sep 12, 2014
A Brief Review of the Refresher/Primer posts: :-)
  • Kaitlin's is nice for people who haven't seen s1, with brief, non-spoilery TV listing-style descriptions and links to the full TV.com episode reviews.
  • Ed's is nice for people who did see s1, with meaty spoilers throughout to help catch us up. Also tons of flashy images.
Fox and iTunes have free "behind the scenes" and "sneak peek" type videos, too. (Fox site's presentation is awful, though.)
Sep 12, 2014
More the merrier! It was funny Kaitlin and I are were totally thinking the same thing about a refresher, literally hours apart. Although we both probably had this idea a while ago with the premiere approaching. My gifs just took forever to make.

Nice to know we have staff actually excited for a TV show. Makes reading here so much more fun.
Sep 12, 2014
Yep, I read yours first Ed! And sorry to say it but it was better then yours Kaitlin. A lot more detailed and the gifs & videos are awesome. :-)
Sep 12, 2014
Gonna turn you into a fangirl yet!

Though - from what I remember we would have to get rid of Nicole Behrie 1st to get you to buy in. :(

C'mon! JOHN NOBLE!!!!
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah exactly. And I don't see them getting rid of Nicole. So I'll just pass on the fan-girling over Sleepy Hollow. Leave that to the fans. It's just quirky supernatural fluff and that's all it will ever be (to me). Tom Mison's talent aside.
Sep 14, 2014
@edshrinker
I know! Suffering from serious writers block here. I'll have to put something together soon though. The movie is coming out in November in OZ.
Sep 13, 2014
Still waiting to read that Anna Torv article!!!!!
Staff
Sep 12, 2014
I am more that excited for Sleepy Hollow to come back! I think it's going to be a great season!