Smallville: Next Season Will Be Its Last

After years and years of dodging bullets, Smallville will end its run on its own terms next season.

Star Tom Welling spilled the beans to news outlets first, and The CW has confirmed the show's final season to Variety. It's not a huge surprise, as the long-running superhero hit has been rumored to be flying off into the sunset for several seasons, but it still has to come as a shock for the show's dedicated fans.

Smallville debuted in 2001, and aired its Season 9 finale last Friday. In its upcoming tenth season, the show will hit the 200th episode mark. Not bad for a show about a teenage Superman that premiered on the WB.

Knowing that the tenth season will be its last, the big question is how to end it. Smallville has always been less about Superman and more about a young man who is destined to become Superman. Should we see Clark don the familiar red-and-blue suit emblazoned with the big "S"? Will his dream in the Season 9 finale foretell him mastering the ability to fly as The Man of Steel?

What do you want to see happen in the final season?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

For those of you who whine about Chole not being part of Superman Mythos. You do know there is another very well known Superman character who debuted just like her. That person is Jimmy Olsen and guess what he was created for the Superman radio drama and they added him to the comics. So stop whining. You have no clue DC might add Chloe in when they find a story that will work with her character
oh thank god, this show has been sucking since the 4th season. I stopped watching once the 5th came in.
He needs to fly and start his training with Jor El. He also needs to get rid of the Red-Blue Blur crap and the black trenchcoat. Also, kill Chloe once and for all. She's annoying and never was a part of Superman mythology.
I'm sad & happy it's coming to an end. I'll miss Smallville but I'm ready to see Clark become Superman & take flight. I really felt like they should've ended it this season b/c I don't see what amazing storyline they can come up for next seaon. They've already used Darkside, introduced the Justice League and fought General Zod. They need to bring back Lex to finish this series right.
This is how it should end: Background music should be: This is Your Life by Switchfoot

The first of the final scenes should be Lois doing a story at the Daily Planet. She is now a much repsected journalist (like the dream at the final episode of s9) with Clark by her side.

Clark hears some one in trouble and disappears. This is acknowledged by Lois but oblivious as to why. Lex Luthor at his desk. One of his minions informs him that one of his many diabolical schemes is coming to fruition. He takes a step out to his balcony and sees the Red and Blue.

Clark as Superman in his red and blue saves the person in trouble. As he is flying off he stops to face Lex (with Lex not knowing who Superman is but are enemies) they stare at one another with a begrudging respect before Superman flies off.

The screen pans on the Earth and Space and Clark Kent/Superman flies towards the camera and as he flies past he breaks the fourth wall by smiling to the camera.

Fade to Black

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. COMMENTS GOOD OR BAD ARE MUCH APPRECIATED.
I disagree. It shouldn't end with him flying. The season should begin with it. In fact, WB should allow Superman into the show. It's not like it'll ruin WB's Superman franchise any worse than Superman Returns did.
After it is gone, I will have nothing left to watch. It has been fun to watch these past 9 years; I hope they give it a send off of a lifetime.
I would like to see Lex return, Clark fly and in the suit but also where the glasses, Perry White in the daily planet and Martha Kent back on the farm as Clarks tie to smallville.
It's the almost longest running scifi series of all time number one is doctor who number two is stargate and then smallville many will say its not a scifi show and i will agree and disagree whit them becuse it is
that breaks my heart, Smallville is the only show i watch anymore. I bought all the seasons so far . i have really enjoyed watching Clark grow , watching him get one ability after the next , it will be sad farewell
Here's how the 2 last episodes going to be: Clark Kent fill his destiny training with Jor-El becoming known as Superman, he happens turn back the timeline putting all the Justice Leagure Heroes back into their own worlds. And Clark Kenr & Justice Leagure Heroes getting their memeries erase ever meeting each other. He restored his earth father of Jonathan Kent back to life from the dead, like nothing happen to him in the first place. He restored Lana Lang not being infected by Green K. He restored Lex Luther noting happen to him being killed by Oliver Queen. And Jonathan & Martha are back together on the farm. They didn't really win that silly job offer at all, they're still are farmers living on the farm. Clark Kent leaves them all to swith other as Superman into the year of 2013. But, he is on mission, he is told from great hero must stop Lex Luthor. He is your Ultimate Villain. So, he will step in his business of Lexcorp, say i will be keeping eye out on you Mr. Luthor at all time. And Then, he will fly away into the sky smiling to the screen. Yay, the Dream is over. The End! At this point right now, Clark Kent is fulling like Mufasa death from The Lion King by Zod. I believe Clark will turn how to fly right off the bet soon Season 10 opens up. They probably ended like that, for a reason having him falling down for his live & doom. He can think happy toughts developing the flight power to learn fly from the air down.
Oh, I'd love to see him get secretly married to Lois and live a double life to live happily ever after and while Lois had a few babies to take care of that have powers of their own for another story down the road....smile.
Honestly its about time. Im hoping they transition from smallvile into some kind of Metropolis show sort of a new Lois and Clark series. Would be amazing to see a new Superman tv series with modern day technology.
Yes, "Smallville" has focused more on the young Clark Kent who grows up and tries to understand and prepare for his destiny to become Superman. So, a very fitting way to wrap up this show would be to see him become the full-fledged Superman at the very end with Lois Lane cheering him on.
It sucks that it is going to end, but at least on it's own terms and 10 seasons is a lot for a show now days. In a way I grew up with the show, I was still a teenager when it premiered and I think it's done a great job telling the story and letting people see another side of Superman, he seems so much more human and real in Smallville, so we can relate better. I'll miss the show, it's really the only show I make plans not to miss anymore. My only hope is that they start a Justice League or Green Arrow spinoff.
Smallville Forever!!!
No Batman- just Bruce Wayne, who would probably still be in training. Also let him meet test pilot Hal Jordan (Green Lantern), Ray Palmer as a Graduate student in the Physics Department at Ivy Town University (Atom), and my personal favorite- Billy Batson, newscaster at WHIZ in Fawcett City (Captain Marvel). Series Finale should end with him flying in costume to prevent a disaster (plane falling, etc) with Lois saying "go get 'em Smallvile" or some such. Camera then pans to an alley where out steps, with wide smile, LEX LUTHOR!!!
it should end him flying :D
Lana Lang
They should make a comedic effort when smallville learns to fly. You know, run into stuff like birds and sides of mountains or even a plane which he saves of course. This Zod stuff lately has been a real bore. Maybe it would have interested me more if this Zod guy didn't come off like a wimp. I mean really, the guy just doesn't pull off the bad ass villain part at all. However, put a little red kreponite on the blurs plate and he pulls off the bad boy act really well. Now that I think of it, that's how he should learn to fly. When he's under the red whammy, he gets pissed off and flies with out thinking about it.
They have, indeed, been drying it out for too long. At least we'll have some sort of closure, instead of just going out Twin Peaks style.
It should have the classic Superman ending from the movie with Tom Welling finally in the Superman costume flying in outer space and the theme music.
Bring back Lana for the series finale.
Man I like smallville I hate to see it end.
It sad that it ending next year it has been a fun ride.
i am glad about this. i love the show, i just want it to have an awesome proper ending
I think that everyone has been expecting this for awhile, since Clark is nearly into his red and blue tights. I'm really sad, but it could be so much worse, being canceled instead of a planned ending. All I really want from next season is to see Clark finally fly. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
They should bring back Laura Vandervoort as Kara! It's my wish for now :-)
Clark NEEDS to ditch the black outfit. I mean, as much as we want Batman to be in the show, a Superman stuck in the outfit of one of his superfriends is not the way to go. Bring on those outside underpants!
My mind is saying: "Be realistic. The show can't last forever. The actors certainly aren't getting any younger, and Clark is getting closer and closer to being the Superman, so of course the show will end eventually."

But my heart is saying: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" I can't stand the four months I have to wait for Season 10, much less learn that there won't be any Smallville to watch at all. IF THEY DO END THE SHOW, I hope, hope, hope they replace it with another show that would feature superman this time. BUT they have to keep Tom Welling and Erica Durance as the cast. I'M NOT GOING TO WATCH ANYONE ELSE. I don't think anyone else can play those roles better than those two actors do. Clark isn't Clark and Lois isn't Lois if it's not Tom and Erica.
great show, they should do more 200 episodes=)
I will cry buckets of tears if Smallville ends. I can't even stand the four months I have to wait for season 10, much less imagine not watching Smallville forever. However, I do realize that the show has come to end some time (at least that's the rationale side of me talking!). The story has progressed to the point that there's only a small wiggle room for Clark to grow. He's already getting closer and closer to being the Superman we know, so if the show continues beyond season 10, it might be tough for the writers to stretch the story. The risk might be that they would produce mediocre or less satisfying episodes. BUT if they have to let Smallville go, I EXTREMELY hope that the Superman saga continues through another show. But they have to keep the same actors, at least keep Tom Welling and Erica Durance. Anyone else playing those roles will not motivate me to watch. I just don't think anyone else can play Clark Kent and Lois Lane as well as those two had. I know I'm not going to watch any Superman show if those two aren't part of the cast.
But that's the rationale part of me. My Id, heart, or irrational side is constantly screaming: SMALLVILLE FOREVER!!!!
Will be a sad ending to a great show. I hope they end it with Clark finally flying.
Like I haven't heard that BS twenty billion times before.
Wow sorry will be gone is my show number 1, I don't care watching for 10 more years
To all those who talk bad about Smallville:
Just give it a rest.... I admit that seasons six through the first half of season 8, the show hit a very big slump, but season 9 more than made up for it. Also the show is a non canonical view of the Superman mythos, so it does not matter how you tell it. It is similar to the Ultimate Marvel Universe, where you see teen versions of the iconic superheroes fighting off villains they wouldn’t come across in years. It’s just a great story.
I enjoyed the show from season 1 and I am still enjoying it now, more than ever. The writing has improved a bit since seasons 6 and 7, and the characters have grown. I mean, Tom Welling is 33 and he played a 16 year old Clark Kent when he was 22, so he had to become the Man of Steel eventually, or the show would have only been four seasons.
MY only regrets are:
-No batman, but considering Bruce Wayne is the same age as Clark Kent when he picks up his cowl and he dons the identity of Superman.
-The glasses came out too late in the show. He should have put them on by the time he worked at the Planet. However, the only person who knew him as Clark and the Blur intimately is Lois, ****spoiler****who now knows his secret ****spoiler end****
Aside from these two things, I like the turn of the show.
Also, people, try and check your spelling, it’s really annoying seeing Batman spelled betman or tatally instead of totally… I mean, seriously the O and the A letters are miles apart on any keyboard. Sorry for rambling on…
I remeber a time way back before season 1 started when the producers promised there would be NO FLYING in the series...Boy how times have changed!
I admire the network that actually finishes the tv shows, and not just drags them untill they are not profitable (and than cancels them without an ending).
Respect to the CW.
ok i would like to see clark fly maybe a justice league full meeting finally and batman would be cool but something about showing him in live action on television is prohibited because of the movies or something what bull plus we have yet to see gathom in smallville yet....and maybe darkseid bring him on
Two things actually: 1.) Clark flying

2.) just one name: BATMAN
I hate movies like SUpermand, Betman etc.But ir realy love Smallville (well actually loved for 7 seasons) so I realy dont want to end with some Supermen crap.
I don't see it but I've seen some parts and it looks good.
But if it's about Superman's beginnings it is time to end it finally becoming him with elegance and not forgotten in some part fo the grid.
Around this time last year i was told it'd be the final season and that he'd be wearing the superman costume most likely in the season finale...
I constantly hear people say "the show has past its prime", "it is time to cancel" etc. Never has this been more true. This is one of the only shows I have ever given up watching before the series finale. There are so many shows finishing up this year that I would rather see carry on than Smallville. It jumped the shark far too long ago.
How about to get lex Luthor and Lana Lang also Jonathan Kent & Pete Ross i don't how but it will be very interesting to show up in the series again
What an awesome show. I would actually love for them to hold of the flying and costume until the last episode. That would just sum up the whole story once he does those feats he truly becomes superman.
Yay! I'm so glad see Smallville: Tv Series finally go off the air. It's was a totally very disappointment adaptation tale about Young Clark Kent becoming Superman. This Version is only about the timeline about other Superheroes into Young Clark Kent life. They get rid of the heart Characters of the Smallville Story over them. Wow! How stupid & dumb is that totally. This Version wasn't the same Smallville Story after Lana Lang, Pete Ross, Lex Luthor, Lioenl Lunter, Martha Kent and Jonathan Kent. This Version was a totally rip-off of Justice League Cartoon having all those Superheroes comes into the Show repasting the original storyline heart characters of the story one by one. I tought the Smallville Story suppost be all about Clark Kent, Lana Lang and Lex Luthor, not does other Superheroes he will actually meet the life he is Superman. God... A tatally rip-off into the wrong time zone. This Versison goes rid of Villains life and right each other. Clark was up against Lionel, boom he's history, Clark goes up against Bizrro, boom he's history, Clark goes up against Brainiac, boom he's histoty, Clark goes up against Lex Luther, boom he's history, Clark , goes up against Toy Man, boom he's history and Clark goes up against Zod, boom he's history. Oh My God! What is exactly Clark Kent suppose face up against into the future, he Superman! All of his major Villains from the Future are gone. Oh, i see noe! It always been about the freakin timeline! When Clark Kent cross over into future by Jor-El as Superman. Everyone will go back to their right time zone. Clark Kent will mannage face all of his major Villians all over again into the future as Superman. And He will also mannage meet everybody all over again as well. Their Adventure together will start all over again from the beginning. By the time Clark Kent because Superman by Jor-El, the Other Superheroes Memories will be erase ever meeting him. How dumb & stupid is that? Watching this version seeing the other Superheroes on the show all this time, just see their memeries get erase ever meeting Clark Kent. This Version sould've ended before The WB turn into The CW for sure. God... What a disappointment adaptation tale about Young Clark Kent becoming Superman, really! This Version will not be miss at all. I am glad see it finally going of the air. Now Superman can stop being a Fully Animation Character over this freakin Version Tale... God... It been 9 Years without seeing Superman appear but into Animation Projects works. I am really for seeing Superman's Return to Live-Action in 2013. I am so happy now! Smallville: Tv Series was just brainwashing people for years, by for getting about how Superman really was like and his telling origin as well. Before you even go there telling me Smallville is Successful of 10 Seasons. Well, the reason Smallville last this long. It's because of Clark Kent & Lois Lane and Chloe Suillan & Other Superheroes making the show stronger without the major heart storyline characters of the show. There! Huh...
Wow, i'm surprised it lasted so long. They stopped airing it in Australia after the seventh or eight season i think so i haven't seen it in a while. But i loved it when i was watching it. I think its good that they're ending it because i always wanted to see what would happen at the end of the series but it never came. I'm not sure if i'd want to see him in full tights at the end but i definitely think he should be Superman. And if they kill of Chloe i'll be devastated coz she is my favourite character :D
They should step up the fighting and flying get jeph loeb to write and finish the series!!! and i hope they don't cheap out on having more characters for the JLA. THEY'RE IN PARIS!!!!! that was lame. Other then that it was a good season
If you ask me... The finale should be with Clark dressed as Superman on the rooftop of the Daily Planet (having been able to fly for at least half of the season) with some heroic light and a lot of people looking up to him. Then he flies away into the camera and a black screen appears with one message "Metropolis, in a theater near you next summer" :D
Load More Comments