Smash's Season Finale: A Star Is Born

Smash S01E15: "Bombshell"

We are living in a Golden Era for TV. TV means something to you if you're here on this site reading this, but much the way that groundlings at Shakespeare's contemporary performances probably didn't realize they were witnessing a cornerstone of cultural significance shifting into place, it's easy to take today's TV for granted—especially network TV, which will happily inundate you with all the ceremony and prelude of a faucet turning on.

Only on rare occasions do we say to ourselves, "Okay, wow, that was amazing. I felt something. By seeing this, I remembered parts of myself and experienced a symphony of curated emotions that I'm proud I was capable of." Frankly I can count the number of times I've had that reaction on maybe one hand. But the finale of Smash was one of those times.

The specific world Smash has created has always breathed authenticity visually. Just the point-of-view of Karen rounding the narrow halls and heading toward the stage in the beginning made my heart race and my adrenaline surge, but the production values are well deserved by the depth of the first season’s web of relationships. There's the talented, naïve Karen, the jaded workhorse Ivy, the lecherous director, the neurotic, hyper-sensitive writers, and the producer with something to prove. All of which were carefully culminated to make this opening night of previews mean something intense to all of them, and make us personally invested on each of the characters' behalves... most particularly in the star, which from the beginning of the episode Smash teased us with. I was cringing with worry that Karen WOULDN’T be Marilyn.

Of course, we had a lot of ups and downs to get through before the show would reveal whether or not Karen would debut the role. Ellis, big surprise (NO big surprise. Predicted this last week, obvs) spiked Rebecca's drink with peanut oil. Eileen fired him, although personally I think she should have grabbed him and declared a citizen’s arrest until the police showed up. Karen was proclaimed Rebecca's replacement and struggled to learn everything in four hours, leading Ivy to question Derek about why she hadn't been chosen to fill in for Rebecca.

Derek's answer was, yeah, heartless. He told Ivy she just didn't have “something” that Karen did. Since Megan Hilty is currently playing Loralei, Marilyn Monroe's breakout role in Gentleman Prefer Blondes, we can all roll our eyes at this in real life, but Megan portrayed a troubled diva internalizing the most damning note of her career with heart-rending acuity, and portrayed Ivy’s transition from rival to flat-out villain with restraint and subtlety.

On paper, throwing Dev's infidelity on top of Karen and then showing up in full costume to take her place is ridiculously awful, but the writers managed to keep Ivy's villainy plausible and somehow touchingly pathetic. Derek, however, is heartless with everyone until he needs to mold them in a Pygmalion manner. When someone achieves the status of being his creation, he cares. Which is TOTALLY COMPELLING.

Like, my goodness, when he told Dev that Karen was his and then followed the bits of Marilyn costume to find Karen and sat beside her—oof, that was TV heroin for me. There is so much chemistry naturally between Jack and Katherine the actors, and it gave an unspoken edge to an already loaded and meaningful conversation. Yes, she does want this, and even if she loved Dev it's not going to deter her because she's more in love with performing than any one person, which is a motive behind every star. And Derek underlined the point of the season: she had everything before except the heartbreak, and now she’s known real loss , which she couldn’t understand Marilyn without experiencing. Of course, I don't know if we can realistically compare being tossed from foster home to foster home and continually abandoned and betrayed with finding out your fiancé is a low-down dirty dog, but the point was nevertheless well made.

And my goodness, I give Katharine McPhee a hard time in these reviews, but she was absolutely amazing. Yes, it was weird seeing her in the wig and garish makeup at first:

But by the end of the night she had transformed into some towering, 2k12 avatar of Marilyn that was weirdly appropriate. Our stretched-out ideal of beauty in 2k12 coupled with the total fragility and joy and her voice, not as grossly over-produced as in previous episodes, was a powerful combination. Tom and Julia's last song gave me chills (there were some corny lyrics mixed up in there but the final refrain gave me goosebumps and tears in a good way) I had to rewind and watch it several more times- the upraised arms and head thrown back, the huge portrait of Marilyn…so triumphant and sad and transcendent, and then the intercut of Ivy considering a handful of pills, yikes!

This show went for broke at the end, it promised a Smash at the beginning of this series and had the balls to claim they had an amazing director and writer and really risked setting themselves up for a meta-failure. Remember that one show that preceded 30 Rock called Sunset Live or some foolishness? Remember how it failed because they tried to make a drama about doing live comedy that wasn't really funny, so everyone talking about how funny it was just looked like an idiot? Well, Smash risked being that by claiming to make a hit musical, but luckily for Smash, the final song LANDED and they really nailed a final image and no joke, if they do a Broadway version of this in with McPhee in NYC I will get on that damned plane and see it. This series worked because this last song was phenomenal and it has everything to do with McPhee shedding her good-girl act and marrying a complete depth of hurt with her voice. McPhee, you glorious siren, you've won me over. And not just her hitting a difficult note at the end (because she is like the Superwoman of having a voice so that was not a surprise) but her acting on the phone, lolling about in bed…very subtle, very lovely, so captivating.

I do want to take this moment to say I am one of those people who don't believe that Marilyn Monroe took her own life. There's no evidence in her autopsy of any dissolved capsules or dye from barbituate pills in her stomach to suggest that she took an overdose, and the first responders found bottles of pills by her bed but no water. There's actually evidence to suggest that though found lying face down, blood pooled on the backs of her legs and arms as though she had died while laying on her back. There's a lot of weird circumstances surrounding Marilyn's death that make me tremendously popular at parties when I start hashing this shit out and people edge away as I shout louder and louder about JFK and Sinatra and suddenly a taxi is waiting for me outside and my hostess is walking me to the door, is what I'm saying.

But back to the show. Yes, Leo showed up one last time with a tiny bag that he claimed contained 3 hot fish lunches and saved his parent’s tremulous marriage—

—(which ultimately I think is a bad thing…Frank shouldn’t stay with someone who cheated on him, and Michael is free to be with Julia so, um, UPGRADE.) Tom and Sam had a touching moment, and that was great. Derek and Karen blew me away with their chemistry and horrible co-dependent Pygmalion relationship. It all fed into the thrill of this complex and lovingly painted arc landing so perfectly. Yes there are things about production they gloss over and points I am still confused about (do they have a live orchestra?)

But at the end of the day, this series has so thoroughly entertained me, and touched me, and engaged my mind in a way no other NBC series—hell, no other network series—has done since I was a teenager. It’s returning in the MIDSEASON for 2012-2013, which makes me blue, but I’m so grateful it will be back and I thoroughly look forward to getting the DVDs and watching them one episode after another any time I want to completely immerse myself in this world. So thank you, Smash, for a brave and intense season that uplifted and never talked down to its audience. You said you’d depict a girl becoming a star and a musical becoming a hit, and you totally did.

QUESTIONS: 1. Should Ellis um, GO TO JAIL?

2. How will Ivy’s suicide attempt effect the production/Derek?

3. Was Derek weirdly harsh on Ivy? Why?

4. Should Julia leave Frank?

5. Did Karen KILL IT in the final song?

6. Do you think Marilyn Monroe killed herself or...?

7. What are your thoughts on the finale?

the final song was breathtaking!!! katherine was amazing, and for marilyn I agree with you I don't think she kill herself
Sunset Live? Are you talking about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip? That would make sense. I loved everything else you wrote.
Loved your commentary! And the show does the same thing to me. I love being immersed in the reality it creates, and if it were turned into a bona fide Bombshell on Broadway, I would pay through the nose to see it. McPhee knocked that final song out of the park, deep into another zip code. Every time I watch her sing it, it makes me cry. PHENOMENAL. There's such a wonderful tension in the song, from the beginning, that builds so slowly and beautifully til the final note. With the sole exception of Funny Girl, I used to think I wasn't "into musicals," but this show has made me care again. The songs are terrific (especially Wolf, Don't Say Yes Until I Finish Talking, and National Pastime). I LOVED LOVED LOVED Christian Borle's performance of Don't Say Yes. There is an ocean of megatalent on this show. I can't wait til season two.
After episode 6 this was the best of them all (and I liked all of them in between). I felt shivers run down my spine and was sitting at the edge of my seat watching the SMASH finale. How great was that? I still am in awe that Karen (Katharine) pulled Marilyn off so well. Hell, she was overwhelming in the last number. Simply breathtaking. I have given her a standing O. Wish it was a real musical, Id's like to watch it again and again!

As for your questions I don't think that the police could collect enough evidence to convict Ellix. After all, it's just heresay if Eileen reported him. There's no hard evidence anymore. The blender has been cleaned or even tossed into the trash.

When I saw Ivy spill out the pills into her hands I just screamed: Take them! (Yeah, I know, that's bad but she is a really mean person). I don't think that it would affect Derek much he has got a conscience the size of a peanut.

And why on earth was Derek harsh or even mean to Ivy? She used him so she can't complain if he uses her back. She deliberately went to bed with him and "supported" him with the play learning it night after night. Yeah, that was a real selfless act of her. (Rolling my eyes here). He just told her the plain truth nothing harsh there. Ivy asked for it. A lie wouldn't have made it better for her. If she can't take rejection Ivy's clearly in the wrong business.

Why should Julia leave Frank? Infidelity happens to the best of people. Naturally, it will be much harder working things out with her husband but why take the easy way out? I hope that there won't be a pregnancy. That surely would end things between Julia and her husband.

Karen blew me away with the final song! I've said it above. It was one of the best moments I had on TV in a long time!

As for the Marilyn conspiracy I'm torn. I haven't studied the case really hard just watched some documentary now and then. From the clinical viewpoint I'd say she had a severe case of depression and substance abuse. And suicide is one of the symptoms that can be caused by it. I'd love to meet you at some party, Lily, and be set straight by you. ^^ I don't think that you'd have to do a lot of convincing to pull me to your side. We could use the same taxi, afterwards! :D

So, this is it for the moment with SMASH. The wait will be gruesome to bear as there's another finale looming that will add to the wait for something good to happen on TV! Can't wait to see more of it! SMASH is absolutely great!

Wow, what an amazing hour of television! I was almost out of breath at the end. Katharine was simply incredible, as was Jack Davenport (he doesn't get enough credit). I would pay to see that show on Broadway, for sure!

Glad you finally came over to Karen's side, Lily. :)
I thought the closing song was fantastic - an amazing wave of feeling to close a show. That's one that has audience members checking the Playbill bios one more time to see "WHO is this that just sang? What else has she been in?"

But to me, that scene on the bed singing a couple of lines of the baby grand song was tops. I loved that song when Ivy sang it beautifully, but the heartbreak I felt from that Karen bed scene was intense. Maybe that's the part Derek sees. And the ironic thing was that as Karen expressed that sadness from the bed, Ivy was going through her own heartbreak in the dressing room, and I didn't care. There's a difference between heartbreak and pity, and Karen (Katharine?) got the heartbreak right!

And I agree, if Karen and Derek are like two magnets! Not sure how they keep them apart.
i think frank will leave julia for good when he finds out she's carrying michael's baby...

love kat and she was awesome and i agree that if they really did produce this musical i'd wanna see it
See, I guess I would have enjoyed this show more if I actually cared about Marilyn Monroe. I never bought into the Cult of Personality surrounding her. I don't find her magnetic or appealing because I can't respect her.

I think it's pathetic how much the female lead characters tried and tried to convince themselves that they were so like Marilyn. Obsessive, much? Be your own person. "I know! I'll OD on pills, just like Marilyn! That'll show 'em they were wrong to pick me!" No, Ivy, it won't.

Now, was the music fantastic? Yes. I loved the Broadway parts of this show.

The acting was generally strong, with a few exceptions. The writing was uneven, generally poor writing for personal side stories.

Obvs Julia is preggers, probably with Michael's baby, so that sets up future drama there. The show's initial premise was a new musical every season, yes? I hope they stick to that. Bring the Marilyn musical to Broadway. I do wonder if they keep the same production staff though: Eileen, Tom, Julia, Derek.

I think it would actually be really bold to not keep anyone. To start with a whole new cast making another musical. I also really want to know what the subject of the next musical will be...
First time commenting here. Glad to read a review I finally agree with. I never watch singing or dancing reality shows. So, my first introduction to Ms. McPhee was here on SMASH. I think she's done a fabulous job! BTW, did you know this ending shot/pose mirrors the ending shot in the premiere episode, after she sings "Let Me Be Your Star?" Responding to your questions:

1. No, I don't want Ellis to go to jail. I want him to be cuffed at the knees in some alleyway by Nick's friends. Then, have a shot of a body bag loaded down w/bricks being thrown into a body of water. Harsh? Perhaps. But, many people would tune in just to see that. And, there would be no question of him returning. Ever.

2. If Ivy takes any pills, it will be to deflect attention from Karen. Talk about an entitled attitude! Tom really did her a disservice by pumping up her expectations and telling her the part was hers from day 1.

3. Derek wasn't harsh. He was honest. She did say, "Tell me the truth. Why her?" I hate it when people ask for the truth, then get angry when it isn't what they want to hear. Derek basically explained the challenge of casting. Sometimes they just have to go with their gut on who will fit a role closest to their ideal. He has a vision for the musical, and he found the person who fit it. Hooray for him!

4. I don't care. Julia needs to bring the funny, interact more with the creative team, and drop the pregnancy, adoption & adultery storylines. We don't want to see Debra Messing miserable with sad eyes. Everyone likes to see her smile, laugh and be exasperated.

5. Yes, McPhee hit that one out of the park. BRAVO! BUT...if they ever do a musical about Ava Gardner or Rita Hayworth, she'll be perfect for it. Especially with her slightly clefted chin.

6. Don't know. The end result is the same. She has better things to do now.

7. Loved the finale. Will be back for Season 2. Derek & Karen chemistry burns up the screen. But, I think it would be a good change if he kept his distance because he actually respects her. A lot of UST would be good because Karen needs to focus on her career & getting Broadway-ready.
1. I feel like Ellis will be back next season to blackmail Eileen. Since she didn't report him, it will be something along the lines of she knew and didn't do anything.

2. I don't think she took the pills. It was just a contemplation scene. She's nowhere near the point of suicide as a solution ... yet.

3. Derek was honest and, I thought, actually gentle with Ivy. He could have said the same things and been a total dick about it, but he tried to let her down easy, while still being truthful.

4. Someone should leave someone. I'm actually irritated by the Julia-Michael thing, but as we all saw, she is now carrying his baby, so that's not going to go away.

5. Last week I was shocked at the ending. You can't end a Broadway musical with a suicide! This was the PERFECT ending! Who says she's not ready?

6. Oh who cares?! Seriously. All suspects are long dead. Why does it matter at all?

7. Loved it. But now what? The show is about the creation and staging of a Broadway musical. They did that. What's left? It's like Prison Break. OK, you broke out. Now what? So many shows lately have these high concepts that should end after one season. Remember mini-series? That's what these are. Except they never end and the writers have to keep making up scenarios that don't really fit the original concept, just to keep it going.
1. I couldn't believe he so blatantly announced that he poisoned Rebecca. UM, yes, please send him to jail because let's face it, Ellis isn't a, 'It's fun to hate him' character, he's a 'has no redeeming qualities whatsoever and only drags the show down' character.

2. I don't buy that she will try to commit suicide.

3. Harsh maybe, but truthful and maybe something that just needed to be said. I mean she did ask after all.

4. While I hate Michael AND Julia, I think at this point that maybe they are perfect for each other. After all, we all know that Julia is pregnant with Michael's baby.

5. Oh yes, Karen was amazing in the final song. Katherine McPhee can truly sing.

6. I too am a major conspiracy theorist when it comes to Marilyn Monroe's death. I don't for one second believe she committed suicide. I think the Kennedy brother's had a hand in her death for sure.

7. I thought the finale was great and I think ultimately Karen was the right person for the part.

Also, I heart Derick because I heart Jack Davenport and he makes Derick...well....Derick.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

All there is to say.... : LOOOOOOVED IT!
1. Eileen should of slapped Ellis and literally kicked him out of the theatre.

2. I feel like Ivy's suicide attempt is barley an attempt it's a long look and a maybe to create a cliffhanger.

3. I don't understand Derek, he is cray when it comes to how he treats Ivy.

4. YES. UPGRADE.

5. YES.

6. I don't know...

7. Flawless although the ending was kind of a disappointment, if Ivy had actually swallowed the pills then it would of been better but she didn't, so next season could start with her deciding to throw the pills away which would be a cop out but it's been done before so you never know.
Those who keep talking about Karen/Derek chemistry and don't want to see Karen/Dev together are closeted white supremacists who simply don't like white woman and non-white man being together. Admit it, you guys are bunch of racists!
Dev kissed his office colleague *and* slept with Ivy. Karen doesn't need his issues in her climb to Broadway stardom. There's nothing racist about it. He doesn't deserve her loyalty and fidelity because he's a CHEATER!
Wow, way to stretch for something there.
Staff
I was all for Dev until he cheated on Karen. You can't come back from that to a relationship, I don't care what race you are. And Jack Davenport and Katherine McPhee, the actors, glow around each other in cast interviews, which I am not the first one to point out. Which last time I checked is not a racist thing to say.
Wait... can't tell if you're being serious.
This season has been outstanding, I've loved it so much. And while Leo was a very strange character (maybe he is mentally challenged, who knows) I loved everyone else. I never hated Ellis like everyone else did, he was loyal to the show and loyal to Ivy which is admirable, and his two comeuppance moments with Angelica were very entertaining. Katherine finally reached close to her potential in this episode and just about justified Derek's decision not to go with Ivy. Speaking of Ivy, she was written much too well! I know by the end we were supposed to apply the Hollywood morality rule where it's OK for a deserving person have bad fortune when they behave immorally, but i was with her all the way. We were never really on Karen's side because she was a mite annoying so I really felt Ivy's pain at the end and wasn't sure they made the right call. An idea entered my head that they could have split Marilyn into two actresses for different aspects or something to get a win-win situation but that would be tricky. The last song was very strong too. I think we all would have liked more time spent on the development of the musical instead of some of the side tracks, and especially more Marilyn outside the DiMaggio period but I'm nitpicking. Now that Season 2 can go anywhere and do anything I'm super excited.
I don't know who this "we" is that you speak of, but I was always on Karen's side. She was green, sure, but she wasn't what a lot of people tried to make her out as, as someone conniving and plotting and such. She was very naive, sure, but she was never a bad person. Ivy, on the other hand, did everything she possibly could to get the role, from sleeping with the director, to undermining Karen, to sleeping with Dev and then letting Karen know about it on opening night!

Derek made the right call with Karen. Karen fulfills Marilyn better than Ivy. Karen was green like Marilyn was when she first came up. Ivy was jaded. While Ivy may have the Marilyn figure, Karen had the mentality.
I'll admit, up until this episode I thought Karen/Katherine was a boring pile of mush (partly due to the terrible characterization, partly due to McPhee's over-produced voice.) But she actually pulled it off. McPhee proved she's got chops. Good for her.

The show is still a mess. Hopefully the new showrunner will take it in the right direction. And hopefully he'll realize that Ellis is not a villain people 'love to hate', he's literally just someone people hate. He is not serving the show. Cut him. Maybe he and Leo can get stuck in a burning building together?
It's funny how the movie "My week with Marilyn" came out around the same time Smash started. That movie gave me a whole lot more insight into hollywood itself & why Marilyn was so big a star. She was a very vulnerable woman but knew how to play to that too so I can see how Karen was good for that because she had a certain vulnerability about her that Ivy didn't know how to portray. Have enjoyed this season & curious as to where they will go next season (hopefully less Julia/Frank/Leo just plain annoying). Don't know if Derek just sees Karen as his new plaything to make him feel good.
One more thing!

You totally forgot to mention that Julia's pregnant! :D That was an AWESOME surprise! Can't wait to see who's it is and what's going to happen!
Staff
I DID forget that and OBVIOUSLY its Michael's baby. OBVIOUSLY!!!
Bear in mind they only did the deed once...it's possible, but seems the likelihood that it's her husband's is a little higher.
The season finale was absolutely the best episode so far. The chemistry between Karen and Derek was almost ridiculous, so now I need them to get together in season 2.

I do think that Frank should leave Julia. With Michael being in the musical, it's a good chance of Julia cheating again, and I don't want that for Frank. He's such a good guy and husband.

A LOT of awesome stuff happened in the season finale, so I am longing as hell for season 2!
Lily what are you going to recap now that OUaT and Smash are over for the season? I really think you should take on Rookie Blue for summer recaps, I'd love to get your perspective on that show. Plus I think its a show that deserves more credit and attention
6. Hells NO!!!!
I ran to my remote screaming and re-watched like 3 times when Derek told Dev "She's mine now"!!!! That was so hot!!!

Great episode, great show!

What will Julia's maternity potato sack style be like??!
Staff
Yeah the good thing about how Julia dresses is that she can hide it right up until month 8.
I only have one answer and that is to number 4 - Should Julia leave Frank?

The answer is yes since she is pregnant to Michael!! Did no one pick that up? Julia said she "felt like she needed to throw up which was weird as she never throws up! The last time she threw up was...." and then she stopped talking. I reckon the last time she threw up was when she was pregnant with her weird son and now she's pregnant to Michael!
Ah, Ivy has lost all sympathy I had for her, which is exactly what the writers had intended I'm sure. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't ended the season the way it began, with Karen singing "Let me be your star" in its entirety, instead of the ok-but-not-that-great ending song.
This was one the new shows that I started watching and I must admit I really liked it from the start. It was just so fresh and loved how it captured so well the whole show business experience. That being said, as much as I love it's a mess and so uneven. There was always potential ( just look at the pilot), some season highs ( the whole Ivy vs Karen battle, Bernadette Peters as a diva mom, Rebecca Duvall) and a lot lows ( Julia's affair with Michael, Leo and Ellis existence, the whole adoption thing, Leo missing.....). It clearly didn't know what it wanted to be, is it a musical soap....? Smash clearly worked at its best when the focus was on the making of Marilyn and not all the other crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for drama ( mean I love soaps) but make it interesting and natural and not forced and if they still want do this at least have the right balance of soap and show business. Smash is good but it can even better, a juicy, gossipy backstage road-to-Broadway drama. Scrap what doesn't work (Ellis, for one) and find a way to balance the suds with the show biz.

TEAM IVY
i wish i felt more won over for karen as the star but didn't
Very solid finale. The show really delivered. No matter what the writers make Ivy do, I'll always like her. I don't know if it's the way the actress plays her or I if I don't believe she would sink so low as they try to show her doing. And I have a totally opposite feeling about Julia. As I've said before, I hope they perform a musical about The Walking Dead, the zombies turn out to be real, and Julia gets eaten. Julia is Smash's Lori. I hate Frank and Leo too, but at least Leo is pathetically funny. Julia really annoys me.

Katharine McPhee had the very ungrateful task of getting rid of her American Idol image. that helped to begin her career on TV, but since it's a show that makes you judge the person rather than the character, she gets too exposed. I really rooted for her on American Idol, but I had difficulty seeing her as anything else. But in the end she delivered, she was magnificent.

I've never cared about Marilyn Monroe, and wouldn't watch a play or musical about her, but I would watch the musical based on Smash, and will definitely be following the second season.
Yeah, the attempted murder part was almost comical because nobody seemed to notice. Angelica Huston was all like "oh, you wouldn't believe the day I've had...like, my assistant tried to poison our star! Ha ha. Can you believe it? That's the kind of day I've had...".

I love this show, but it was a bit sloppy last night. Things were resolved to tidily and quickly and although I know tv isn't meant to be real, when it completely lacks logic in the context of what certain characters would do or makes familiar characters seem a bit foreign, I find it hard to ignore.
McPhee was AMAZING!!!!!!

1. He should so go to J.A.I.L.

2. I do like her and I hope Ivy doesn't do it, but if she does, the crew will be upset, of course. As for Derek, not sure where his head is.

3. Don't think he was. He was being truthful. He's been seeing Karen as Marilyn and he's the director. It worked for him. Now him sleeping with Rebecca was harsh.

4. Oh yeah. So boring that Frank is.

5. Karen MURDERED the final song soooo good!!! I clapping for her at 3 in the morning. Probably made some neighbors angry.

6. I have no idea.

7. I was hoping that Ivy told Karen about her roll with Dev so that Karen would use the pain of it and kill her performance. Then it seemed like she was going to fall apart and I was like nooooooooo. Then Derek saved the day and my Karen did what I wanted her to do, she killed her performance and murdered the final song. So proud!!!!!

well this is one of the best shows on tv at the moment and it still hasn't made it to Australian TV screens(come on Australia)...

1...For sure he should be sent away for attempted murder....i disliked this guy from the start too shifty...

2 I hope Ivy actually kills herself she is a pain and a trouble maker for the show

3 No Derek had the right to treat Ivy like he did she is a trouble maker look what she did with the engagement ring....

4 I think Julia should leave frank as she really has feelings for the other bloke the only one i feel sorry for in that situaration is there young son...

5 No The last song was the best ending

6 Yes i do think Marilyn Monroe did kill herself she was in a lot of pain and didnt feel loved( i think we have all felt like that sometime)....

7 It was a great Finale lets hope we see more of the show and silly TV execs don't cancel it like many other good shows...

I was gonna type in my own answers, but it would just be an exact duplicate of these... Well said!
I LOVED this show from the very 1st episode so I'm THRILLED that the ending was so great. I, too, rewound the ending song (more than once) and was really moved by the scene with Marilyn rolling around on the bed. CAN'T. HARDLY. WAIT.
Look who finally open her eyes and see the GREAT actress/singer McPhee is and realizing what a BIATCH the Ivy character is! After so many bad comments Lily, Im glad to read this.

1. TOTALLY.

2. Im sick of Ivy's attemps... Im hoping she actually dies... LOL it wont happen but everyone will feel sad and maybe affects their performances?

3. NO. She's not a little girl, everyone treats her like a baby giving her everything she wants. Its time for a reality check.

4. Yes, she doesnt love him and he doesnt trust her. Whats the point?

5. I honestly didnt think she would BE Marilyn, but man, that girl Slayed it and fed it to the monsters! A M A Z I N G!!

6. No, there will never be an answer to that, but she sure didnt go to heaven by her own hand.

7. GREAT, I love Derek fighting to get Karen as MM even when EVERYONE wanted Ivy, it shows why he's a great director. All the moments where he talked to Karen, we didnt see him being like that with Rebecca or Ivy, he knows exactly how to treat his stars. The look on everyone's faces when Karen performed were unbelievable it just showed how great she was. I wonder what the topics are going to be for season 2.
I was never a huge Katherine McPhee but in each episode she slowly won me over and last night that final song made me just sit there in awe. I think frank will leave Julia due to the fact she could be pregnant and that right there is something I don't think frank can handle. I hope they would have her abort it to save her marriage because all she has wanted was another child.

Ellis should have been arrested. He could have killed her. He thinks to highly of himself and what he deserves.

The episode was just amazing!
That should say wouldn't have her abort
I love the black swan refrence
I love love love this show! Last night was their best episode, it showed everyone at their most sincere. Don't forget the soundtrack is on sale! Can't wait to get that.
I got it definitely misses some great songs, but it's amazing!
I am very happy with the finale, but I would also have believed Ivy getting the part. Actually I thought it would build up or keep up the tension for season 2. (since Karen yet needed to fight for a chance to become a star) Still think that she is the perfect marilyn, maby not as contemporary. I still have a lot of sympathy for her character even though she is portrait as a villain, they managed to tell a good story behind her bad choices - it was very real - I'm with you there Lily!

I think marilyns cause or scenario of death is similar to Heath Ledgers, Amy Whinehouse and Whitney Houston and Brittany Murphy and so on .. dont you think. So no suicide, but a bad combination of medical drugs ..
Rightfully Karen was the understudy even if she didn't know everything. He also was looking at the costumes and only one dress would have fit ivy's chest compared to Karen. It's much easier to make a dress smaller in short time then let it out. Then there is his obsession with Karen.

Ivy is very talented and I do feel bad for her at times, especially when her mom showed up and I was like hug her, tell her something and she just stood there!
I will start in reverse and respond to point 7) first.

I was actually refreshing tv.com, anticipating your review, because I was sure you were as stunned after the finale as I, or any other connoisseur of musical theater, or simply great television would be.

The show delivered, and it did so with bells on, I was constantly shaken by goosebumps, chills up and down my spine, little squeals of sheer emotion and...in the end - full row of tears running down, because it was THAT overwhelming.

I have to say, throughout the entire season I have somehow naturally sided with Ivy, even when she acted like a bit of a cartoon villain, I always could relate to the way she felt and the motives that stood behind her every action...Whereas Karen, being considered with a bit of a raised eyebrow and an eyeroll - mostly because of her superpower to bring crowds to aural orgasm after listening to her singing, and her goodie-two shoes behaviour. But still, despite my firm belief that Ivy was the perfect Marilyn, Karen did justice to the role and managed to justify her choice.

1) YES, or at least he should be prosecuted for it. But he won't be, as Rebecca herself has already stated she wouldn't press charges and she didn't even want to know who it has been - she dismissed it as a common occurrence in the theater/movie circles.

2) Ivy's attempt, and I really hope it will be an unsuccessful one, would probably make the rest realise how serious, the issues she has been dealing with, were. Also, I think the parallel between Marilyn's last performance on stage and Ivy's real life act of despair was brilliantly drawn and combined with the song lyrics - about how some people need to be protected and treated gently, in order to reveal their potential...well that just hit home. Brilliant stuff!

3) Derek...well, as much I consider his badass act as the perfect conceal for his proverbial good heart, I think that he was unfair to Ivy....Unfair in the way he failed to recognize her own fragility, as he obviously did with Karen, and I hope he will realise his mistake after the suicide attempt.

4) Mr. Eyebrows may be a good husband, but I can't help cringing at the idea of her following him with teary, puppy eyes, no matter what she did. And don't get me wrong, I don't approve of her adultery, but I find it ridiculous that every time she so much as speaks to Michael, and gets 'caught' doing so, she feels the need to run and explain herself. Ugh.

5) Yes

6) I honestly have no idea. What a great loss, though...
LOL, I also thought Karen "brought crowds to aural orgasm after listening to her singing". I mean the face they make its like they're enjoying themselves a little too much. Its Kargasm!
1. Yes. He won't though.

2. I think Derek will definitely feel bad and then shy away from Karen to pay more attention to Ivy. Which was probably Ivy's goal in taking the pills in the first place.

3. No I don't think he was harsh. He was being honest. And in my opinion what he said was true. I need Karen/Derek in season 2. Their chemistry, like you said, is insane.

4. Yes. I actually love the character of Michael and I think they should be together. It's also pretty clear that Julia is pregnant with his baby.

5. She absolutely slayed it. I was in tears by the end. Some of Katharine's best vocal moments ever, and Karen finally got to be triumphant and show everyone what she's capable of by letting her voice soar. It was incredible. The scene on the bed was amazing too, and so moving.

6. I'm not too well-versed on the Marilyn story, but from what you said in your review about the evidence, I think it's entirely possible that she didn't. I like to believe that she didn't.

7. Reading this review and thinking back on the finale gave me chills. I thought the episode was breathtaking. Best episode of Smash yet, and best finale I've seen this season. It's obvious that I'm a huge Katharine and Karen fan, so seeing her so much in the spotlight was amazing for me :)
Excelent final episode I loved it !!! Amazing !!!
best show ever.

cant wait till next year!!

1. yes, he should. that was my first inclination. once he said it i was saying "wow, nice confession. eileen, call the cops!" out loud.

2. i rolled my eyes when i saw the pill bottles in hand during karen's number. i was in "okay can we get away from the crazy person and go back to seeing a really nice song?" mode. honestly it wasnt exactly surprising to see this happen. after that episode where she got taken off of her heaven on earth musical or whatever it was called you could just feel this coming. im actually predicting that she didnt take them at all. they never showed it and all we have to go off of is megan's eyes i think? if im wrong and i missed an obvious sign than okay.

3. i actually liked derek in that scene :x. hes always so good at brutal honesty and it continued with that statement. he really cant explain it. to him, ivy really is missing whatever karen has. it was brutal honesty at its most brutal form but it was just that. he didnt beat around the bush so ivy could just shoot more questions at him like "but i can do that just as well".

4. no. im not with you here. family!

5. yes, she did. like i said earlier when ivy put her face on my screen with her pill bottle i went "move aside crazy person" in my head.

6. i choose to believe not like you, for your same reasons.

7. all in all good stuff from Smash. they did a great job at hiding who marilyn was actually going to be. i was also actively unsure if karen was going to be it until they actually revealed ivy walking up as a shadow self. that was a feat of and in itself i think. and yeah, the musical was actually good and id pay to see a real one :p

an aside, on her make up, i thought it was actually a nice touch to add to the realism of musicals and plays. when your in a stage production the make up artists add more make up than necessary so people can see the colors of your cheeks and lips from wherever theyre sitting -- even if its in the back. im probably giving them to much credit though and it may be a coincidence this excuse exists for them.
1. I really hate Ellis (as everybody) but every show needs a true villiain, so I think he'll just screw things up all over again.... ugh...

2. I don't think she takes the pills (hope)

3. God!! I wanted to kill Derek when he said that!!! (but the rest of the ep he looked REALLY hot!!)

4. That's what I want the most. Julia and Michael should shirtless hug again!!!! please!!!! That's one of my favourite storylines of the show!!! Without it, Julia doesn't have an interesting story (besides her lovely chemistry with Tom) :D

5. I totally got goosebumps, it was A-MA-ZING!!! I rewatched it three times, it was a beautiful song :)

6. I've always had the same thoughts as you regarding her death, honestly (it will be known one day....)

7. One of the best finales of this season, along with OUaT and TVD's finales (and I'm waiting to see Game of Thrones and Person Of Interest's)

GREAT RECAPS!!! I hope to read them again when season 2 begins!!!!! good work!!! :)

1. Yes.

2. No effect whatsoever.

3. Yes. Because he is not a nice person and he has no human empathy.

4. Yes.

5. No. If she took any more breaths where they didn't belong, she would have started hyperventilating.

6. Yes.

7. All the worst parts of the season and none of the best. Too much Karen being handed life without working for any of it and the show telling us how much we should love her and how much she IS Marilyn when all our senses not to mention real life knowledge prove it otherwise. The giant Marilyn picture at the end was too corny for words.