Sons of Anarchy: Out of the Grip of a Monster

Wow, so THAT happened. I know we've said that Clay has passed the point of no return before, but this time he stepped over that point, peed on it a little, and gave it the double-bird as he trotted off toward a horizon that few television characters ever reach. It must be tough for Ron Perlman to play such a despicable and vile character every week (he's doing fantastic work this season, btw). He has to warp his brain and go to work believing in Clay and he deserves an award just for that. I love good villains and almost always want them to stick around a series to enrich the drama, but Clay has entered a territory all his own. I want him dead, and if I have to put a hitman on speed dial to see it happen, I will.

"Hands" was one of those rare episodes of Sons of Anarchy that provides such a hard punch in the gut that it's hard to calm down after the credits roll. THAT scene with Clay and Gemma was one of the most difficult-to-watch scenes of television I've ever seen, and it was eerily reminiscent of the final moments of Season 2's opener, when Gemma was also on the wrong side of extreme physical abuse (it still haunts me). I don't think I'll be able to erase the image of Clay's face as he beat the living crap out of Gemma from my mind, no matter how hard I scrub.

Last week I struggled with Gemma's decision to defend Clay after Piney's murder and everything else he messed up, and in "Hands," Gemma saw the light by seeing the darkness in Clay. And for that, she got brutally beat down. Creator Kurt Sutter is merciless when it comes to torturing his characters for the purpose of his story, and something like this had to happen to bring the Jax vs. Clay showdown to fruition. A lot of credit goes out to Sutter and his real-life wife Katey Sagal for never holding back for the sake of their art. How do you think that breakfast conversation goes? "Honey, last night I wrote a scene where you get brutally beaten by your husband. Pass the bacon, please."

But we're not in the clear, yet. Clay made an interesting accusation when he told Gemma that the plan to murder John Teller was all hers. We've known for a while that both of them were involved somehow, but Clay put it all on her, saying he was helpless to resist because of Gemma's "form-fitting lady parts" and "damsel in distress" state (I'm paraphrasing for TV.com's semi-family-friendly audience). Clay is certainly a monster and easily played the wife-beater role, but Gemma isn't innocent in all of this. Did she deserve the beating? Absolutely not. But she has secrets of her own. She's now going to orchestrate the second murder of one of her husbands, this time letting Jax get his hands bloody. And this time we know the guy deserves it. But what happens when Jax finds out that Gemma also played a role in JT's death?

The confrontation between Clay and Gemma was set in motion by the botched hit on Tara, who didn't even come close to enjoying Oregon's lack of sales tax during her road trip up north. Instead, she ended up with a crushed hand and little hope of returning to her profession as a surgeon. Drugged up, frustrated, and broken emotionally and physically, she unleashed a bitter tirade at Jax about staying in Charming and flushing her life down the toilet so that Jax and his pals can continue strutting around in leather cuts and slowly killing themselves. It was another brutal scene to watch, as the collateral damage from Clay's decisions and Jax's pact with Clay moved closer and closer to Jax and his family.

And if that wasn't tough enough to watch, Jax then chatted with Opie and admitted that he's been lying and secretly plotting his exit from SAMCRO. Opie reminded him that not long ago, it was Jax, his BFF, who convinced him to stay in the club, which ultimately cost him the life of his wife and destroyed his family. Arguably, it will also cost him his father's life, as soon as he finds out Piney was murdered. "I NEED you in this club." Aww, Opie. The exchange put another surprising strain on one of the show's strongest bonds—Jax and Opie are ADORABLE together—and provided more torture for us, the viewers. But that's how Sutter rolls. Sons of Anarchy has been compared to some of Shakespeare's works not because people prance around in poofy shirts, but because it's a tragedy. And Season 4 has been the most tragic of them all.

But there was one uplifting moment in this symphony of devastating blows. Sheriff Roosevelt stepped up and apologized to Juice, and even hinted that he may take SAMCRO's side against Linc and the investigation into SAMCRO simply because he's so ticked off at Linc and his manipulative ways. You gotta love Roosevelt right now, he's been questioning things over the last several episodes and redeemed himself by proving he's a man of honor last night. In this battle between cartels, feds, gangs, and individual members of SAMCRO, it's not where people start off, it's where they end up that will determine who wins the fight.

"Hands" was not only one of the best episodes of Sons of Anarchy's fourth season, it was one of the best of the series. Sutter has managed to combine our emotional connection to the characters he's perfected over the last four years with intricate, fast-paced plotting, and the result has been extraordinary television that's simultaneously difficult to watch and impossible not to crave.

Skid Marks:
– Every time I see Jax doing something soft, like singing "This Old Man" at the top of his lungs to his kids on a family road trip, it cracks me up. I should record it and use it to blackmail him.

– I love the wrinkle that the hit crew was actually comprised of white boys disguising themselves as Mexicans. I really appreciate these kinds of details. Of course a professional hit crew would run their operations like that.

– That was probably the LEAST productive meeting with the Niners EVER. Two men dead, nothing gained. They didn't even grab a beer!

– When Wayne was playing cleaner at the scene of Piney's murder, Gemma called him up to tell him something was wrong. Wayne replied in total deadpan, "Really. Can't imagine why you'd say that." Gotta love Wayne!

– Juice might just be better off telling the club what's going on.

– Gemma: "Clay can't be saved... He ain't going down by law. He's going to die... by the hand of his son." BOOM! Can't wait. [UPDATE] As some of you pointed out, it sounds like Gemma actually says, "By the hand of A son." Which could mean she's looking to sic Opie on Clay to avenge Piney's death, which would conveniently keep her own hands clean of having to tell Jax about her involvement in the murder of his father. Or it's "A son" as in a member of the Sons of Anarchy. God you guys are good!

– In case you missed the news, Sons of Anarchy is adding an episode to the end of the current season for a total of 14. Apparently the original plan was to air a 90-minute finale, but now it will be two 60-minute episodes. Also, it looks like next week's episode is 90 minutes long!

Question: Who do you think is truly in danger of dying by the end of the season? Can the series survive without Clay?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I love Sons of Anarchy just the way I used to love The Shield - both are such great series! I loved "Hands", I thought everything was so heartbreaking - Gemma's been beaten up, Tara's emotional breakdown, Opie and Jax - but what really sticks to my mind was Jax's reacting defensively when meeting the police officer as if he was going to give him a hard time when he was just making small talk with an average family guy - that was truly heartbreaking, like Jax had a glimpse of what his life would be like, being a normal guy, not a criminal, not fearing the police or having them as an enemy. Very sad, 'cos obviously this will never happen.
Sorry, Gemma TOLD Clay where Tara was going.......
Did anyone else think it was strange that at the end of episode "Kiss" (aired Nov. 1st) TOLD Clay where Tara was going? (The time and location of the conference) She basically said Tara was going to the medical conference in Oregon that weekend, and then in the next breath asked Clay not to hurt her? Just seems odd that she suspected that Clay would go after Tara bc of the letters, then provide a date/place where she would be alone?? What do you guys think? BTW, this show is amazing!! Best show on TV!! Thank you Kurt and cast/crew!!!
I think Gemma needs to blow Clay's ass away!!!!
One of the finest episodes of the show.. Kurt Sutter is a genius.. Love this show !
It's funny because I was certain that the ONLY thing that would keep Jax in the club was Tara's death, but Kurt Sutter amazed me that he didn't have to kill her - he just had to kill her career. So Tara is "safe" for now as the club deals with the whole Clay/Gemma issue.

Resolution without killing Clay? Vote him out of the club. Remember that vote that was supposed to happen but didn't a couple episodes ago? But I'm sure Gemma is thinking about revenge not diplomacy. Whatever happens I look forward to it.
Gemma definetly said "a son" not "the son". Plus Jax is not his son anyway. She probably plans on using Opies anger over his father killing to get him to do it.

And either the kidnappers were federal agents trying to protector Tara from the real hitmen or Romeo is actually not what he appears to be and is actually a cop of some kind. If they were the real hitmen they would have shot her. Period. And there would have been no reason for them to pull up their masks and be revealed as Americans afterwards.
The fact that they were Americans doesn't mean that they are no hitmen.

And Clay said that he wanted it clean. With the kids in the car, near a public park... they had to kill her somewhere else, hence the kidnapping.

Finally, Romero said that his guys would take care of it, no more middle men, thus confirming the hitmen.
I was thinking the same thing when i read this. no had of his son BUT by the hands of A son.. meaning one of the sons is going to kill him,, I don't see her having Jax do it.. I don't think she wants him to be that kind of person..
For the past 3 seasons this show has been a "turn off the phone", "shut off the lights" event of total concentration.

Love the series and we discuss it for days after each episode.

I and my wife heard Gemma say "a son" and when we heard that we knew that Gemma was going to get Clay taken care of while protecting her own involvement. I would hate to see Clay go, he adds so much to the mix. Frankly, every cast member needs to be the owner of an EMMY.
I totally agree with you regarding everything u said in this article. I began watching this show after season 1 went off. I came in on episode 3, "Fun Town", when I saw Gemma and Clay playing around at the Fair. Just seeing them together made me stop channel surfing and look at that episode. So seeing Clay pound on Gemma that way, I so want him D.E.A.D!!!!!!! Still LOVE Ron P., but he's got to die!! Don't know how Opie will deal with Jax after his confession. Hope it doesn't destroy their bromance. I know Gemma will ensure that Clay dies, just hope it painful. Him killing Piney hurt my heart and what he did to Gemma and Tara, just forced me to wish for is demise. Episode was wonderfully tragic and Kurt S. did excellent. Now because of psycho Linc, Otto now knows Bobby and the Club lied to him. What will Otto do now???? Scared to find out....
Oh girl, you're gonna hate him more...

Contrarily to the general belief, I don't think he is out yet.
Forgot to say I really believe they should just hand out an emmy for every cast member on here. Perlman and Sagal especially but everybody is great.
Not to nitpick but I heard ''...by the hands of THE Son.'' Still the same thing, she is going to use the club against Clay. Awesome episode, mind-blowing season. It is a tragedy as you said. This is my favorite show by far.

Gemma and Unser since Clay now has no alternative choice to save his ass, and Tara because the Cartel hasn't call off the hit.

Can the series survive without Clay?

If only one season left, yes.

Otherwise they will have to bring in another "heavy canon" as a replacement actor.
I think there's a big wrinkle no one is talking about. I watched the last two episodes over and over and paused them, and I'm 99.9% sure that the guy who Jax punches in the van is the same guy who is in the RICO office that pulls juice off the cop. Watch when he pulls hisask off in the van and look at the scene in the DA's office from the Kiss episode.
I agree 100 percent
Nope! The hair receding line and the eyebrows are not the same.

And why would the ADA participate with the Cartel to hit Tara?

That's probably why no one is talking about this. ;)
My guess was that they were actually there to grab Tara and protect her. I was guessing that someone in the cartel was an informant. I've never been able to predict this show so what do I know...
Considering the conversation between Clay and Romero after the hit would mean that he is in on it (with the ADA) which is very unlikely.
I don't know, the theory is as plausible as some others. I wouldn't put anything past Lincoln Potter. He has already proven that he is willing to do anything to make his case. Kidnapping Tara and putting his boot to her neck would definitely not be beyond the pale for that duplicitous bastard.
Finally got around to watching this episode, and man, it was awesome. I remember reading some comments on last week's review where people said Clay had to die this season. I didn't believe it myself -- I figured they needed his villainy until the show ends -- but I HAVE to agree after this episode. How does he not die this season?

Oh, and as already been said by others, Gemma said "by the hand of a son", which I took to mean anybody in SAMCRO. If and when Clay is killed, I assume it'll be Jax that does it, but I could imagine it being Opie as well. Maybe it'll be something I can't reasonably think of at this point, like Juice having to kill him.
As much as I would love for that to happen, but I don't think he will die this season. I think killing Clay will be the main story of season 5.
Actually, Juice may be the only one who could join Clay in his exile. That would protect him from Linc and from the Club.
E P I C episode. I think this was the best episode of the entire show.

-Tara, Gemma, Wayne and Clay - I see one of them if not all in grave danger.

When do they find Piney? 2050? Mummy Piney? And whats up with Dany Trejos cartel? The killer was not independant as they claimed he was. There was something about the look Galindo gave his second in command... maybe Clay survives this season too, I got a strange feeling...
To be fair, Piney tends to disappear for weeks at a time and the club usually only goes looking for him when they need an important vote and occasionally to make sure he's not dead. Gemma only went to the cabin because she knew something was up. Opie did want to go check on him and I think he's gonna remember that Clay convinced him not to.

I"m thinking that the cartel might even get rid of Clay or try to take out Samcro, but i dont see Clay alive outside of the club>

BTW: Danny Trejo's character is called Romero 'Romeo' Parada, he's Galindo"s second in command.
Man this show is great, i hope that there will be a throwdown between Jax and Clay, and that Jax dont kill him too easy, altough if they let Clay live and get away with everything that could be awsome too he is a perfect bad guy. Altough how he is going too explain the beating Gemma took wont be easy.
Kurt Sutter is amazing!! this season he has been eating his orgacreative fruit daily!..And that is a great thing!

All through 1-3 we have been forgiving Clay for many things..but we cant do it again. I have been trying to imagine in what way will i accept Clay surviving this season, i couldnt. I CANT!.

Who has to kill him? Simple, Kurt Sutter is also a romantic (Yeah, i said it, Otto is a romantic) so it will make sense that he will find a way for both Jax and Opie to be involved in fitting Clay with cement shoes!.

Clay is a sick man, mentally and physically, if the cartel, the Irish or Gemma-sick puppy Tig kill him it wont be as satisfying(creatively) as if Jax and Opie kills him.

At this moment, Tara feels like nuisance to me (i know i know,she makes Jax stay upright in some manner, the babies mom etc), "When" she dies i will understand Jaxs sorrow, i just wont share it!.
I also think Otto will do something. But it won't be Clay Otto will go after :)
I don't see them killing off Clay. I think there will be a huge fight between Clay and Jax. When what happens to Piney comes out, the club will vote him OUT, then they'll have to deal with an angry Clay who's been excommunicated and is out for revenge. OR if they find out what's happening with Juice, they'll set Clay up with the Irish, and have him taken down in the ADA raid.
Gemma said clearly that he will die by the hand of a Son... not the Irish nor the ADA. These things are usually dealt with internally.

On the other hand, Jax, Opie, Bobby and Tig may be picked up by the ADA during the raid, giving Clay some kind of deferment.
so season 5 would be about them getting back the club from clay...hmm...you know i like this idea so much i'll hate you if it actually became true....you ruined it!!!
Just guessing. Ruining it would be if I *know* what will happen and tell. But if you need someone to hate in your life.. go ahead, make your day.
Love that idea. Voting him out doesn't seem necessarily like what they would do (based on past actions against the club, they shoot first, kick out later) but what a fantastic storyline that would be, dealing with him not having everything he wants!
I'm very scared that he will kill Gemma and Unser. They are the only ones who know everything and can put him in trouble with the Club.
Unfotunately I think they will kill Tara which I really hope they dont as she's the only thing keeping Jax tied to his family and always thinking about a way out from guns and killing etc.

As for Clay I think Wayne might do something to him to revenge for Gemma and yes the show can survive without him as there are other bad guys the club has to deal with.

Last night's episode was so emotional and the best episode throughout the season!

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this show
Tara will get killed, then Jax will kill Clay after finding out all that Clay has done. Then Jax will have no reason to leave the club, and will hang around and become the new President. Or they bump into the dudes from breaking bad and start selling meth.
I don't see any other way out for Clay, as long as Gemma is alive. Unless Sutter pulls a rabbit ou of the hat (and he very well can), one of them has to go!

Sidenote: I've always hated Clay!! As a human I wish him dead, as a TV watcher I'd miss him...
You and I think alike my friend. I knew you would put THAT picture of Clay up here. That scene also reminded me of Gemma's other scene, the look of fear on her face was heartbreaking. HATE HATE Clay right now.
I cannot believe no one brought up Margaret Murphy's scathing little convo with Gemma in the chapel. Margaret, you feisty old bird, I didn't think you had it in you! Gemma is a horrible woman, and finally someone is calling her on her mess.

Yes seeing her get the snot beat out of her was terrible, but in a true Gemma move, she is going to manipulate one of the guys in the club to take Clay out. I cannot begin to decide which piece of dirt she is going to unearth to set those wheels in motion, but it is pretty certain that cluing Jax into the letters in not on her agenda. Opie seems a likely patsy, but will she let the Donna mess slip and allow Tig to go down as well? If she was smart she would ask Unser to do it - he is terminally ill, by the time the sheriff's dept. and the USAG pick through Clay's death Unser will be that much closer to his final goodnight.

This season has far surpassed my expectations and "Hands" was simply superb television. Cannot wait to see where SAMCRO takes us next week.
Tig can't really go down, because it has been handled. Tig confessed to Opie. They killed what's her face, the ATF agent to end it all.
I told you that she would change stance towards Clay if something happened to Tara or the kids. :)

About Margaret, yes I agree. But the rest of the show took quite a chunk of the spotlight. Actually, I am more surprised that you remembered it.
I think she deserved every punch, she was almost sure that clay would do something to tara but she did nothing to prevent it from happening while knowing that her son and her grandsons were with her. I think what triggered her to shift sides was the beating she got not tara or jax or the kids. she is a horrible horrible person.
(???) She changed her stance *before* the beating and it is actually why Clay beat her like that: she was not supporting him anymore.

I don't know... maybe it was different on your TV.

P.S. No human being 'deserve' to be beaten like that. I hope you don't have children.
Two replies, but totally in agreement with Swing up here, no human deserves a beating like that.

And Clay has MURDERED his best friends, and now is going after a woman he thinks of as his daughter in law and mother of his grandkids. Who is worse?
True, you called Gemma's trigger spot on. You are right, it seems unlikely that anything but this would have set her against Clay. But I think good ol' meddling Margaret lit a fire under Gemma when she laid all the blame for Tara's harms on Gemma. Gemma was enraged at Clay and his duplicity, but I think knowing that she suspected he was capable of this and not taking action when she had a chance is what set her to such a violent confrontation with him. You said it, Gemma in her heart has more loyalty to her "family" than to her old man, if just barely. Clay crossed her on the only deal-breaker in their relationship, and now it will cost him everything.
I agree, Margaret's intervention was definitely part of the equation.
I think Gemma said that Clay was gonna die by the hand of *a* son", meaning one of the Sons of Anarchy. Some kind of 'honorific' disposal maybe...

Opie? Maybe if he finds out that Clay killed his father but Unser has set the cabin to point to the Sonora Cartel.

Tig? Even tho he loves Gemma, I thing that the old ladies are not a reason to kill the President of a motor club in their culture. They are more like... "part of the furniture" kind of.

Jax? Well he is very shook by Tara's reaction and quite vulnerable and unpredictable. He might not kill Clay but we may see a hell of a fistfight.

I have a hard time imagining how the show would go without him since it his about him and the impact of his actions. He might get killed eventually but not yet. I think he's going to run. Where to? That's in Sutter's head. But Clay creating havoc is not over.

Oh, and kudo to the makeup department!
I dont think he will run away, i think the brothers will try to get the club back from him.
I'm pretty sure that at least two main characters are going to be gone by the end of the season. Unser is gonna die by the end, probably killed by Clay, he's been dying of cancer for over 3 seasons now and he's no longer Chief so there's not a lot they can do with him anymore. He's put himself in Clay's crosshairs and Clay is NOT letting anyone get in his way!

Tara is probably leaving too, the nerve damage to her hand is the last straw to get her to finally leave Jax no matter how much she loves him. They keep using her character as either a support or a damsel-in-distress for Jax, and it's getting old. She's spent the season wanting out so it's written pretty clearly but i doubt they'll kill her.

Clay has gone down such a dark path that i don't see him continuing on the show because you can't get past what he's done this season! There are so many possible killers though! Jax? If he finds out about Gemma, Tara, Piney, and JT. Gemma? I think she'd do it to protect Jax, not for Tara or Piney. Unser? He would, but Clay will kill him first and Gemma knows it. Tig? For Gemma, but not out of romantic love, he may see Clay for the rabid dog he's becoming. Opie? For Piney, for Donna, for his club.

Juice could wind up dead if he doesn't find a way out of the crap he's stuck in. He can't confess to the club because killing Miles will bury him but i think he's gonna do something drastic and possibly suicidal about that RICO room! Roosevelt apologized and might help Juice, knowingly or not.

Good God! I can't stand waiting week to week!! Kurt Sutter, you devious brilliant man!!!
Tig loves Gemma, not necessarily romantically, but he does love her, but I think the person who sees the rabid dog best right now is Bobby.
I see Juice talking about what is going on and eventually clay will be the fallout president they are going to feed to Linc. Win/Win for all :D

But what if the club may find out what clay did ... murder of opi's wife ... opi's father ... that would means Tig'd be gone more or less ... maybe kurt sutter (always forget his chars name, the guy in prison) will get revenge for his wife, too ... Clay gone, Tig gone, Elvis gone :D worst case? I don't think so ... what if Jax isn't the winner in a Clay confrontation :D so many scenarios for thought experiements, wonder how kurt sutter will play it all out.
Otto (Kurt Sutter's character) might get revenge for his wife, but it wouldn't be against the Sons.

Tig already confessed to Opie that he killed Donna.
Doh, I must have totally overlooked the confession.
It wasn't a huge issue, so I can see that.
This show is so difficult to watch sometimes, but so compelling in the way it tells the story. Clay can't get killed, The show wouldn't be near as good with out him. Bet we are left hanging at the end of the season though...
Great episode. Hardest scene ever on SOA ( along with the rape). It was not easy to watch.

Shit is going to go down between SAMCRO and the Mayans...Why else would Romeo not call the hitman when he clearly could do it. He wants SAMCRO to be weak before turning against the club and taking over the gun business (guessing it's going to happen when the IRA makes a visit to Charming in the next couple of episodes)
Romeo isn't with the Mayans, he is with the cartel. That is different. And he didn't call the hitman, because Clay told them that Tara was going to rat on the operation, not on something personal with Clay. Clay was using their fear of being found out to have them help with the hit, and now he can't call it off, not without telling them all the truth.
i know alot of people hate Clay but i love Ron Perlman and just cant hate him and i hope he dont die (but he probably will) because he is certainly an interesting character.
Couple of corrections from your recap:

"...Jax then chatted with Opie and admitted that he's been lying and secretly plotting Opie's exit from SAMCRO" - Jax has been secretly plotting HIS OWN exit from SAMCRO.

Gemma: "Clay can't be saved... He ain't going down by law. He's going to die... by the hand of his son." BOOM! Can't wait. - Actually what Gemma said was: "He's gonna die... By the hand of A SON." As in a member of the club. Not HIS son.

LOVED the episode though! The Gemma-Clay scene was heart-wrenching. Can't wait for next week.
oh, and no, the series couldn't survive without clay. this whole season feels as if sons is coming to an end...
And don't forget, this season was written and shot before Sons was renewed for Season 5. So as far as they all knew, it WAS coming to an end.
Not ALL of the season was shot when they got the ok for a fifth. Sutter had plenty of time to change the last three or five episodes. It usually takes about a week of shooting per episode.
Okay, but it was written, and maybe he did change some... but he may have let it go. I know with The Shield, the end, well, it wasn't what I expected. I wasn't sure what I expected, but the end was insane, and this may go that route as well.
I dsagree. The show is centered around Jax. Though I think Clay is an excellent villian type character, I think the show could easily succeed. The next seson could be with the repercussions of Clay's death, trying to find a new way with the Club, and so much more. There are many other things that can go down.
Yeah. There is so much good action in "trying to find a new way with the Club", like they could open a flower shop or something.
Nice. Maybe you're right, but I don't see that it couldn't succeed without Clay. I think the best course of action (though it is hard for me to see) is for them to kick Clay out, and take his cut. I can't imagine the repercussions of him trying to get back in their graces and how much he could do then. THe problem is, they have killed for a lot less offenses.
I was kidding a bit up there...

There could be a "last" season without Clay about the Club, lead by Jax, fighting its way out of the grip of the Cartel with a deal with Linc, at the end , maybe, in exchange for some kind of immunity.
I agree, and it makes me SO curious about what next season will be.
I think it will be about *revenge*...

Clay (in exile) vs Sons and Sons vs Clay.
still in a fog after that jaw breaking ep, but at the moment i think clay has to die. how could he possibly be redeemed after all the things he's done this season? lies, i guess and fabrications...but, still.
the moment i saw Tara`s hand stuck between the doors i was like please Sutter don`t go down the "my hand doesn`t work anymore so i can`t do surgery and transfer to Oregan and i have to stay here at home in charming raising kids while you do the gang business" road! for a show this awesome and totally unpredictable that was a predictable thing! but the episode in total really blew my mind...
if its only "predictable" once you saw her hand in the door, its not predictable. now if you tell me you saw this plot line coming before the episode aired then you could call it predictable or I'd call you psychic. yes that is the logical outcome once you saw her hand smashed in the door but it didn't make Jax and Tara's scene in the hospital any less impactful and heartbreaking
Agreed, but Jax is holding out hope that it might work, and Tara can still be a doctor, just not a surgeon. I think that it was so sad, she feels she lost everything.
Staff
Gemma: "Clay can't be saved... He ain't going down by law. He's going to die... by the hand of his son." Goosebumps and Adrenaline. Excellent line.
I'm pretty sure Gemma said "...by the hand of a Son," not "his" son. Great episode, can't wait for next week!
Yep just checked it.

She says he's gonna die ........ By the hand of a son.

So who's it gonna be?? Dont forget about Opie when / if he finds out about his old man.
Yeah, I think Gemma might just tell Opie, or Lyla (if they bring her back) that Clay killed Piney... and let some chips start falling.
I think Tig is going to kill Clay for Gemma
That is not a bad idea, we know he really cares for her... but he loves Clay too... I wouldn't discount that.
What if Opi found out Tig killed his wife? Could imagine this slipped out at the wrong moment.
Tig already admitted to Opie about killing his wife. They had a little fight and there was obviously some tension, but they haven't really touched on it since.
Opie already knows that Tig killed Donna. He confessed because the guilt was to much.
I thought for sure they would kill off Tara this season, but now that her hand in mangled I'm not so sure. Clay on the other hand will most certainly die, he has to.
I thought Gemma's line was "He's gong to die by the hand of a Son"...which I thought was great because its vague and played up a lot of the tension. It could mean her telling Jax the truth and getting him to kill Clay. Or a statement that she is not just an Old Lady but has power, refuting Clay's insult against her. Or maybe even manipulating someone else in the club to do it to keep Jax safe
I think she did say at the hand of A Son. She may tell Opie that Clay killed his dad, I don't know what she is going to do, but I have a feeling that if half of the things she has done have been for Jax, she isn't going to let him get his hands dirty... She may tell Opie first, then tell Jax everything (or her version of it all) and then let them vote on how to handle it... without Clay.
Clay is a bad bad man. But who could possibly be surprised by that? We saw it in Season One. This confrontation is nothing new, it was just put on hold. And now, with Gemma turning on Clay? It's going to be epic. And I am not sure who's going to make it out to next season. Who do you think is going to die before the end of this seasons ride?

How does Ron Pearlman hold on to his character? Easy. Clay is not some psycho like the Joker from Batman. Every decision he has made, makes sense in the world. Is it the wrong decision? Is it evil? Hell yes, but they are rational. Remember, Clay such a nut job right now because he has NOWHERE else to go. He an old biker with no retirment plan. He's going to go from being King to that old has-been at the bar. And he knows it. And he's terrified of it. Clay knows he's doing bad. He probably hates himself. The scenes where he tries to call of the hit show that he cares for Jax and his Grandkids. But at the end of the day, he is what he has lived and he has succeded by being ruthless, decisive and by never looking back. And through a healthy dose of paranoia. That's what has brought him to this dark place. Has Clay got to die? Yeah, but this whole sale condmnation of the man? He's a man falling, unable to stop himself. The best we can do now is hope that he does not take too many people off the tower with him. Clay's not a monster. He's just a lost, desperate frightened human being with no options and a temper problem. If Clay was a monster he would have laughed as he beat Gemma. As it was, when we watched him slink through the club to the back room, we could see it. At least I could. He hates himself. And I think he's coming to understand that his crazy attempts to secure his retirement have destroyed everything worth retiring with.
the reason why this episode was so great,because of other episodes in this season.

They build it up nicely and now we enjoy aftermaths :D

I thought Gemma would get couple of slaps,when they were fighting, but DAMN. really brutal.

scene started kinda funny : What you gonna kill me like your last husband :D

Katey really takes different roles( Married with children,8 simple rules,...) and she is great
This show, as you stated, was easily one of the best of the series. The part that I loved was seeing Jax talk to the cop like a normal, every day guy. The look on his face was like, "Huh, I think I can do this." Then the world came crashing down around him.

A few weeks ago, I believe you wrote about the Clay and Gemma love being something of legends, and this is exactly where I thought it was going... you can't have that last. Clay loves Clay and power, and everything else is second.

Gemma, I think she feels the only way to keep SAMCRO alive, and working is to get Jax to kill Clay. I can't imagine how he could live with himself after making that decision, but I have to say, I can't wait to see it.

I also think that Jax might have to get in line to kill Clay, once Opie finds out about Piney. His old man and his old lady? That is a lot to take there as well.