Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Season 5 Finale: The End

Star Wars: The Clone Wars S05E20: "The Wrong Jedi"

Like the Hitchcockian hero, Ahsoka had her name cleared and the real culprit, Barriss Offee, was captured and confessed her guilt. The status quo was restored. It all turned out exactly as it was supposed to.

Except that it didn’t.

An underlying theme in the Star Wars prequel trilogy has been the failure of institutions and leaders. Corruption, passivity, in-fighting, greed, and complacency all contributed to Palpatine’s ability to assume control of the galaxy and establish the Galactic Empire. The Senate was never depicted as an active, useful branch of government, as it was mired in bureaucracy and special interests. The Jedi Order was unable to detect the return of the Sith, and ultimately failed to see the forest of the trees, becoming instruments of an increasingly bellicose Senate under Palpatine’s shrewd control.

What this arc has demonstrated is that those themes are bleeding into the connective tissues between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The Jedi Council failed to back Ahsoka by conducting its own investigation; instead, it expelled her to avoid political pressure, and turned her over to the Republic military. Both the hearing in the Chamber of Judgement and the military tribunal were farces of justice (though the latter came off especially poorly because we saw so little of it), existing as either formalities or blunt instruments to further discredit other institutions, in this case the Jedi Order. Both failed in the stated purposes of serving their followers and their citizens, respectively.

And in these sorts of situations, the show tells us, it falls to individuals to act in an effort to create change. Anakin went to do what the Order should’ve done and questioned Ventress to get the the whole story. Barriss, who was able to see the big picture, acted violently and dangerously because she had no ability to properly voice her frustrations within the Order itself, even if the seeds for this had been planted way back in Season 2. Ahsoka left the Order because it doubted her loyalty and thus betrayed her trust in it. Mace Windu can talk about how the entire ordeal was a trial that Ahsoka passed, but the real truth of the matter is that Ahsoka passed the trial by realizing that the Order had failed her and she walked away.

It was a surprisingly devastating and emotional moment as Ahsoka closed Anakin’s hand around her Padawan braid, and then when she walked down the steps of the Jedi Temple. The series has been building to this in some capacity, to resolve the question of where Ahsoka would end up by the series’ end (I'm not saying this is definitely the series’ end, but no official announcement has been made about the show’s future). We all knew the character would likely depart in some way, either shuffling off the mortal coil or leaving the Order, the question was simply which one it would be. And while I doubt we’ve seen the last of Ahsoka, the show’s dynamics have permanently and drastically changed.

Notes & Quotes

– A quick casting note: Tim Curry replaced Ian Abercrombie, who died in January 2012, as Palpatine in this episode. I like that the show went with someone very different from Abercrombie, as it would’ve seemed not only odd to have someone mimic him, but also a touch disrespectful to someone of his status.

– The younglings! Hi, younglings! Glad to see you’re getting your lightsaber training in!

– This was the first time we’ve seen Padmé in forever, right? I don’t think she's appeared all season.

– “You should’ve gotten rid of them.” “I think they suit me.” The duel between Barriss and Anakin was appropriately brutal, especially on Anakin’s side. Let that anger through, Master Skywalker.

What'd you think of "To Catch a Jedi" and the season as a whole?

what is the name of the ending song from this episode? PLS! tell me. I really like that song
I wish there was another season coming.
A solid end to another good arc for this season. besides the Gascon and D-squad arc this has been a strong season for the Clone Wars. if it is the end, it went out strong. Pretty high body count for all the naysayers who claim this is geared for kids and never gets "too dark"
It's funny. I was surprised whenever I realized this show was played on at 9:30 AM. I felt like this show got too dark for little kids to watch. There were a couple of episodes that were kind of creepy and weird, even to me. The episode where we find Darth Maul in the trash heap comes to mind.
i enjoyed all of the arcs this season. they all had there moments of entertaining with action and humor and everything else.
This makes me wonder. If they don't kill off Ahsoka...does she return in the episode 7 movie in a few years? She isn't exactly human, so the aging could be explained in a way that makes her last a few more years...even then, in the timeline she'd only be in her 60s in the movies. She could re-unite with R2 and C-3PO.
In the Expanded Universe, there was, we find out, a Twi'lek who was sent by the Order to scout a new threat to all Jedi and Sith, the Yuuzhan Vong. It is a possibility. We can hope that Ahsoka led to great things...or just wait and find out. :)
Staff
Ahsoka's a Togruta, though, not a Twi'lek...
It would be nice to find out what (officially) happens to Ahsoka. Specifically, during the time of the great purge. From the expanded universe, we know that some jedi and force sensitives managed to avoid Vader's and the Emperor's wrath... but it would be nice to know her ultimate fate.

I want Ahsoka's clothes
This is the first time I finish the entire season from start till end. Earlier seasons I either skipped or stop watching. This one felt more engaging and strong, specially toward the end. And an interesting end as well. I like Ahsoka's character more. I can't say about other seasons since I wasn't following them but this season seems very good for her storyline. I hope next season will be as capturing as this one.
This season has been a really good one. I thought this last episode was just tremendous. Especially the ending and how the visuals and music really came together for an amazing presentation. I couldn't believe how engrossed into the story I became and how emotional in regards to the departure of an animated character.
But even if Ahsoka will return in next season , what we will see about her? She isn't a jedi anymore so Filoni cant show us her in next season..
That didn't stop them from showing Ventress after she went from Sith to bounty hunter
The show doesn't resolve around Jedi, there have been clone centric episodes, Filoni can easily show us Ahsoka could easily be given an episode or episode arc next season.
check out epic season 5 summary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DxqPXYmcU... and i think ending of S5 was beautiful
Season 3 was the best of all time, they should have ended the series there... After all, it was 3 years between episodes II & III, so one year per season. Maybe Ahsoka returns in episode VII, she be real old grandma lady by then like a wise oracle type.
I don't know if I've missed anything, but this trailer shows what appears to be another story arc that wasn't shown in this season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQRoVlePvg
Staff
There were 3 episodes that were produced that they decided not to air this season -- "An Old Friend," "The Rise of Clovis," and "Crisis at the Heart."
I heard this is the last of the show but it may just be the last of the show on CN. The problem is that with ownership of the franchise changing many of the older projects get closed down so that there's not an issue of rights and royalties later on. And I don't think anyone really wants a Disneyfied version of this show.

This would avoid the problem of Anakin/Vader killing her, although either way, we know by the end of the Star Wars movies that Ashoka is dead because Luke and Leia are suppose to be the last two with Jedi power.
Not necessarily, as there are characters in the EU, like Corran Horn, who have some force sensitivity. Others are full blown Masters, like C'baaoth.
I voted for The younglings arc,but only arc I didn't like was Colonel Gascon and D-squad. It had it moments(1st episode and in final that awsome explosion),but other arcs I loved. I think this should be the last we see of Ahsoka,because what is coming next for Jedi's ain't pretty:D I didn't really miss Amidala and this was great episode. Sad,but great. Also sad to see Jedi bowing to Republic and falling under it's pressure.
great season/series finale, with this we can assume Ashoka avoided Order 66 and lives happily on a farm somewhere with husband nad kids :P.
She did the one thing Anakin has no balls to do... meaning leaving the Order
For Anakin, being a Jedi gives his life meaning. One that was going to be denied to him if he stayed a slave on Tatooine. Just because he's conflicted doesn't mean he's necessarily making the wrong choice by staying.
So do you think that when Anakin was explaining that he knows what it's like to want to walk away from the order & Ahsoka responds with an "I Know" she was talking about Anakin & Padme?
think so
well after watching this episode im not sure what to make of it. i have 2 opinions, my first one is. if this indeed that last of the show then i feel mostly ok with it. the show feels to me like it was reaching the time where revenge of the sith would start. with how anikkin was acting, by the look of the clones armor and along with the jedi console trying to please the galactic senate to avoid getting in the middle of a political mess. also we all knew ahsoka would leave or die at some point so i feel this was a good way to have her leave and say good by. My only problem with this is if it is the end is that darth maul is alive and the emperor has ketp him for other plans, but what are they? so if it is the end i feel they messed up with leaving him in this situation. my second one is. i do feel like it could come back to tie up some small lose ends aswell as to finish the darth maul storie and to have its proper end with counselor palpatine been kidnapped. the only 1 thing that would bother me if the show comes back would be ahsoka i have really grown attached to her character and if they come back for another season and she is not in it at all or if she only is in a little it would not feel write but and i dont know how they could bring her back, but if she did come back they would need to get her out the way again to fit in to the films and i do not want to see her return then get killed some how. even tho that would be a good step to make anikkin more dark side as he cares for her.
I noticed the voice actor for Palpatine was different, I didn't realize he had died though, what a shame.
Yep died in January. Tim Curry was his replacement. I though Abercombie had lived long enough to record his lines. I guess not.
Oh and btw, I love this show and all most everyhting Star Wars, but if they do another D-Squad storyline, I quit.
Haven't really read up on it yet, wonder what this one will be about? pre Darth Vader, or post?
While this last little storyline about Ahsoka being faulsy accused was frustrating, it did show us quite well that this is about when in the war that the Jedi start to bow down to the senate and political pressure. It was obvious that she was going to walk away, but somewhat saddening. I really hope the show gets renewed. Lucas Arts does have to focus on their new trilogy though...
Great send off to the character without being cheesy. I would have been ok with that being the series finale and actually prefer if it wasn't renewed. I disliked much of this season especially those droid episodes.
All I can say is this was the best season so far. All the stories have been thought provoking, This last one maybe what finally drives Anakin away from the ideals of the Jedi Order.
Great show.
It was a very unsatisfying ending to the series and now I wish I hadn't spent my time watching it. Good riddance to bad rubbish and such. Please understand until this ending I really liked the series and talked positively about it even defending it to people who don't understand why someone would watching cartoons (as I say cartoons aren't for kids any more (look at Bleach, Soul Eater, Eureka Seven, etc)).

I could accept the end if it was a cliff hanger for the season, but it is the series end given it won't return, as Disney owns Star Wars PLUS they'll be looking at promoting movies episodes 7, 8, and 9 now and in the foreseeable future.

Well, from my perspective this ending makes Star Wars damaged good at least from the anime / cartoon perspective. Only time will tell the tale as to how Disney handles it and if they'll fix this series by continuing it either on Cartoon Network or the Disney Channel.

BTW, I thought Disney had a policy of ending series and stuff after 3 years. How will they adjust for Star Wars or will it be simply there for 3 years and they go into the vault only to come back every 5 or 10 years? Nah, Star Wars will change Disney and hopefully for the better!!
Disney has abandoned that three year rule long ago when they brought Kim Possible back for a fourth season. Phineas and Ferb has been on for at least four years now too. Wizards went from 2007 to 2012. If the story deserves to continue it will...

If this was the finale though it was a great one. It left us very close to Episode 3.

But since they are working on the next season already I'm sure we'll see it. Disney has long been involved with the shows production. There was an interview with Ashley where she mentioned when they recorded the scene of Ahsoka leaving the Disney executives had to leave the room... This was before Disney even bought Lucasfilm.

The movies shouldn't effect tv. Look at Marvel. Disney has plenty of Marvel tv being worked on at the same time the movies are going.
Believe in the force you must.
I would be satisfied if this were the series finale but I would definitely miss the show.
it would be a decent series finale if it isnt renewed - ties up what happens to ahsoka between the films
Staff
I think it works pretty well as a series finale if we consider the show Ahsoka's journey, which isn't *too* outside the realm of interpretation, but I would not not refuse more episodes. :)
true. but where do they go from here. kenobi's love was killed this season, as was darth maul and his brother. ventress is now a light saber less bounty hunter - so that only leaves the clones and grievous as story lines as far as i can see.
We could have some stories about the clone troopers, with no Jedi at all. There's plenty of settings from the SW galaxy that could be visited to see them differently from their later portrayals. Bespin, Corellia, Kessel, Trandosha, Ord Mantell... even Endor if they can do it without ewoks... Kashyyyk. We've seen next to nothing of the Techno Union, Sienar Fleet Systems, or Incom.
Darth Maul is still alive.
Staff
Well, any number of places, really, as this season has shown. If they stick to this sort of 4-episode arc format, they can tell all sorts of different stories.

WE COULD GET ANOTHER GASCON AND D-SQUAD ARC. GUYS. THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.
More episodes of those droids. Ugh.
or we could get half a season of jar jar
It was sad seeing her leave the order, but given the ordeal she went thru and was left to take the fall and finding out her close friend framed her, I don't blame Ashoka for leaving. If this was to be the last episode. I think it was a pretty good way to end. Her character evolved a lot over the series and I'd rather she leave on her terms than getting killed off. However, IMO, I liked the shadow conspiracy the most of this season. Always fun seeing the villains take center stage. The Star Wars villains were always great, but sadly killed off too soon. I like the good guys, but after a while there's nothing more interesting than seeing what makes the villains tick.
It's not unreasonable that the Jedi should be answerable to the military since they are generals and commanders in that military during this war.

This is an unusual review, in that it reviews the themes behind it rather than the material at the front. It's a fair way to review, but it seems very philosophical.

I found this an adequately enjoyable episode, but there were a couple frustrations that held me back from loving it. The first is how inept both sides of the Republic trial were, the fasttracking of this trial was ludicrous, and then Padme forgot to actually gather any evidence to present, so Anakin's running around doing everything and nobody is presenting what he's gathering because of a phony ticking clock. This issue really suggests to me that this arc should have been a minimum one episode longer, and probably should have had more of its elements sprinkled throughout the season.

The second issue is much smaller, Barriss Offee is the traitor we knew her to be, Anakin busts her and she whips out the Ventress sabers, Anakin gives her guff about keeping them and then she says she feels they SUIT HER! What the hell? She's fighting for the honor and integrity of the Jedi Order, she's killing people to ensure that the Jedi don't fall further into the hands of the Sith (her methods may be wrong, but her message turns out to be very true, as we learn in Ep 3), yet Ventress' evil red twin Dooku-like sabers somehow suit this Jedi all of a sudden? That was so stupid I actually groaned... loudly. That's just a dumb line though.

One thing I think was lost was the resonance of Ahoska's choice on the Jedi council, that's a moment I think that should have been held and examined, and if it doesn't resonate then I think that has to be addressed as well. But overall the final moments where the music swells and the imagery gets much more dramatic and creative, that hit hard.

Back when the series first started, I predicted Ahsoka would be drummed out of the order or would leave the order in disgust rather than be killed, turns out I was right twice. This is the ending Lucas and Filoni mapped out back when this started. Does that make this the end of the series? I don't think so, I think there have been enough rumblings to make a season 6 likely, but if that doesn't come to pass then that's ok too as I have no idea how they could address this ending anyway.

I hated Tim Curry as Palpatine, I know they had to scramble but he wasn't right at all, he sounded nothing like the character and every time his voice came out of Palpatine's mouth it looked and sounded and felt wrong. Keep in mind, Ian Abercrombie's performance was mimicking Ian McDiarmid's performance, so it wouldn't have been disrespectful to have another person in that place do the work.

Seeing the younglings and Pietro, all I could think was "you're all going to be dead at Anakin's hand in a few months" which bummed me out.

I thought the same thing, Padme has been Sir Not Appearing In This Film, turns out that's partly because an arc from this season with her in it was cut.

Shadow Conspiracy was my favorite arc of the season, this arc was a little clumsy in how it balanced its storytelling needs. More people right now picked D-Squad over the Onderonians, that's just sad.
The rush to Ahsoka's trial seems counter to what we know of the late Republic era, where anything involving the Senate or the Republic Courts is so slow as to appear motionless (note, for examples, that Nute Gunray is still free because he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, or how slow Republic assistance for Naboo is in episode 1.
I love that comment! Great point, even show-trials take forever to get off the ground in the prequels.
Staff
I had my Philosophy 'n Oats for breakfast this morning.

Barriss was a mess. "The Jedi Council only knows violence!" ...So you decide to blow up a hangar in a temple and frame a perfectly innocent person...? Yeah, no. That's crazy dark side paranoia talking. I get that she's been driven to the edge, but since Barriss hasn't been present enough, it's something of a big narrative leap that the arc asked us to make. And, yes, she's correct, but her methods aren't going to help matters.

I was fine with her leaving the Council chamber without the show letting that land too heavily. Hers and Anakin's relationship was the big core (not that I addressed it, because I decided to be philosophical), and that's why while her leaving the Order is sad but understandable, but her leaving Anakin's side was just sort of gut-wrenchingly sad. No tears, but a decidedly strong emotional beat for the series, and works really well.
I saw your Young Justice review, more philosophical conversation there, you really should cut down on that cereal to a single serving. ;-) (I hear eating PHD-levels can get one's fiber up so high that it sucks one's heads right into one's ass - HIYO!)

Barriss was no more a mess than any other true believer who does something stupid and becomes a terrorist though, but I do agree that someone who laments the lack of wisdom and restraint on the part of the Jedi Order shows a remarkable lack of wisdom and restraint in her actions. Then again, she's a lot of talk, but she doesn't spread her message, she instead frames others - including her friend, Ahsoka - for the bombing, so she's a mess for sure but I think it's more "the strains of war" that can be blamed than the Dark Side itself.

Since this story isn't really about Barriss, it's not so much a narrative leap as it is unimportant to these storytellers - they don't care how Barriss got there, just that she's there and moving the plot forward. I guess they chose to only tell the story from Ahsoka's perspective, and that's a shame because the really interesting story is Barriss' motivation and the protesters that showed up after the bombing.

Her leaving Anakin is an interesting thing, I felt like that'd have to affect the character at the start of Episode 3, he's too bouncy and jovial, he doesn't grimace at Obi-Wan for playing a part in the failure that was Ahsoka's treatment, but I guess if they were/are planning another season then there's time to resolve it there.
More +
I read on Wikipedia that "Series Supervising Director Dave Filoni confirmed in October 2012 that his crew had begun working on scripts and designs for season six in Star Wars Insider 137."
Staff
Yes, but that was even before the Disney merger. While they worked on it, and had the freedom to do so given the considerable resources of Lucasfilms, there's been no official word on if and where the series is continuing. Reasonable to assume so, but nothing's been said.
you do realize that the creative team was probably aware of this up coming purchase, right? probably told to be hush with it, but still.

also, disney has been smart so far, leaving their purchases ips in the ands of the original owners ultiamtely. why would they just up an cancel one of the most successful and deep animated series around when they could make more money by allowing the seris to continue? if they are smart enough not to interfere in the workings of the marvel universe, then they are smart enough not to cancel the series. that would kinda make the upcoming movies hard to produce when they have a flood of enraged fans yelling at them every day.
The Avengers cartoon series was axed because it was based on the comic-book Avengers and not the movie Avengers.

I still say that if Disney REALLY wants to resurrect the franchise, they'll put off episode VII and instead make Han Solo's life story up to a certain meaning in Mos Eisley, with NO JEDI and NO POLITICS. Lucas was burned on Young Indy and never would have made this, but this is the Star Wars movie people want to pay to see.
Staff
I don't realize that because there's no way of knowing. I personally doubt that they were informed and started work on a sixth season in the expectation that they may get picked up (the original plan, even from waaaaaaaaaaaay back before the show started was about 100 episodes), and so that they'd have episodes ready to go due to the long production time animation needs.

Clone Wars is in much more precarious position than Marvel's programming is given that it aired on another network (Also consider that they cancelled Avengers: EMH -- which Disney produced (unlike Spectacular Spider-Man) -- just to make room for an animated series that fit more with the films). What were the possible syndication deals that were worked out? What about transferring DVD sales from one holder to another? It's a bit more complicated than you're making it seem.

Yea, I looked up the date of the acquisition after I posted that. But the word is that if it does continue, it'll probably be on DisneyXD.

On an unrelated note, is the Round-Up done?
It has been confirmed that once Star Wars concludes on CN it would move to Disney XD. And according to Disney XD upcoming series Star Wars is listed as it's air date is 2013. Disney XD will air Season 6 and on wards!
Staff
Yeah, has been for a while now. Not enough eyeballs and comments to justify it.
Staff
GL has been *really* good. I sort of can't believe it's the same show from the first half of the season, to be honest.
That sucks. I really enjoyed it. I feel like Green Lantern has been really great these past few weeks (even if it is a bit Dark Phoenix-esque).