Stargate reopens new Universe

All is right with the world--actually, universe--again! The whole fabric of space and time as it relates to science-fiction television was momentarily ripped asunder yesterday, when the Sci Fi Channel dropped some bad news for Stargate fans: at the conclusion of the currently airing fifth season, the network was retiring Stargate Atlantis.

Thankfully, the thought of television without a Stargate-branded series only had to last one day. This morning, Sci Fi sent out a blast that was a blessing to Stargaters everywhere--a new Stargate series is in the works.

Stargate Universe will take over the reins of the franchise sometime next summer, says the network. The idea was initially pitched last year, but was forced to take a backseat due to other Stargate projects as well as complications from the writers' strike.

The series will be in good hands; Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, the duo that created and produced both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, will serve as executive producers and writers on Universe.

In a statement, the pair said, "In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home. Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping off point for telling stories."

Universe will debut with a two-hour television event before heading to a weekly series, and will see a group of explorers board an abandoned, Ancients-built starship called The Destiny. Of course things won't go smoothly, and the crew soon finds itself essentially trapped onboard The Destiny and heading to strange worlds.

Previous intel on Universe said that the show will deal with the ninth chevron, and that the cast will be new, with a possibility that a familiar face may show up.

Phew! Stargate lives on! Comment party!

Mar 22, 2009
So, some people are excited and some just want more Atlantis. I'm in the middle. I do think this show will be pointless unless it is in the past. SGC currently has Atlantis equipped with a fully operational wormhole drive which will probably not be mentioned because that makes it impossible for anyone to be lost in space. I don't think it will be anywhere near a popular as Atlantis. As people have posted here, Atlantis ran during three years of SG-1 that gave people time to adjust to the new crew. I don't think Atlantis needs three more years, but without any lapping, Universe will not be accepted as lightly.
Jan 13, 2009
What they should have done is run the new one at the same time as atlantis. In the same way they did with SG1 and Atlantis. Letting people get convinced with the new univers before killing of the Atlantis. I am very sceptical to the new show. But only time will tell
Dec 08, 2008
Sounds like a ripoff of Voyager. I'm not loving it. Atlantis is great and shouldn't end. Or if they're really following the Trek model, why not let Atlantis and Universe coexist for a few seasons before killing off Atlantis?
Dec 03, 2008
SGA has at least 3 more years in it if not more. There's a great deal still to deal with, with both the Ancients and the Wraith but no limited to them since it's a big quadrant, etc., etc.

I can't articulate enough how dissapointed I am with this series being cancelled like this. I'm not that optimistic about a "Stargate" show that takes place on a spaceship. A show that could have waited until SGA ran its course in a few years.

I think it's a great idea to go back thousands of years and present the history of how the gates came about and so on which I hope what Universe will delv into.
Nov 30, 2008
I am wondering whether anyone else finds it strange that they are planning to call it "Stargate" anything when the cast will essentially not be able to use any stargates. I think they should have let Atlantis run its course before greenlighting a new show just because they wanted a younger, cast. Probably a cast willing to take less money. I find the whole changeover at least somewhat offensive, especially given Brad Wright's assumption that Stargate fans will be fine once they get their next "fix".
Nov 19, 2008
So what, is this the Voyager of Stargate? Will there be a female team leader? I swear to christ if they screw this show up like that, forget stargate for good...
Nov 14, 2008
Hmm wasn't much of a fan of SG1, but I was surprised of Atlantis and I really enjoyed it. Anyway I don't think it is a mistake canceling it and I have a feeling that Universe will be better. At least I like the idea behind it for starters...
Nov 05, 2008
I have been a constant fan of both Stargate Sg1 and Atlantis for as long as i can remember. It is a real shame that MGM have decided to cancel Atlantis when it was in its prime. Although the Stagate franchise has had a few setbacks ober the years with the altogether not so great Ark of Truth. It is my firm belief that Stargate Universe will bring new life into Stargate and make the producers realise that cancelling Atlantis was a bid mistake. Bring back Atlantis.
Oct 26, 2008
Stargate Sg1 was a great show, and my love of it was what encouraged me to watch Atlantas and stick with it, despite the fact that it was and still is not up to the same standard. Hopefully Stargate Universe will not be another step down, if it is, well Atlantas might not have been good enough to make me stick with the franchise.
Oct 12, 2008
I think this are great news to Stargate fans. I like the series. I discovered years ago, but never gave my attention, till last year. I've seen all seasons since then, and now I'm beginning the 10th... I was thinking i'll end it without any continuation.
Oct 01, 2008
this is very disappointing news but i think they will play it smart and keep SGA open for more seasons if SGU doesnt get the ratings.
Sep 25, 2008
Atlantis could easily run for as long as SG-1 did. It's a shame they are replacing it with SGU. Although I have read on Gate World that if the Atlantis movie is as successful as The Ark of Truth and Continuum, which I'm sure it will be, there is a good chance of more to follow. The character bios (lets hope they make some big changes) for SGU don't look good in the slightest. I think we have to have faith that Brad and Robert will make good of it. When Richard Dean Anderson left SG-1 I never thought they'd could make it as well as they did, granted the show was better with O'neill, we can't deny that they have been some excellent episodes in season 9 and 10. I'd hate for the Stargate franchise to die with some lame ass show that brings down everything before it. I really hope they can make this work.
Sep 24, 2008
Im going to try and stay optomistic about this.I agree that SGA still had plenty of steam but this might be a refreshing change. It will PROBABLY be rubbish but lets not count brad and robert out yet.........
Sep 22, 2008
Starting a new serie and cancelling a great old one isn't gonna sooth me !
To refer to Brad Wright's interview : The "horse" SGA isn't getting tired and I doubt it would've in a long time...I guess we'll never find out. :-(
Sep 19, 2008
Oh my gosh I just read the bios for the new characters...... roll on Stargate 90210
Sep 19, 2008
Well here we go again. SG1 at least got to finish story lines with defeating the Go'auld and the Ori. I feel that Atlantis still have so much more to finish with the Wraith and the Ancients. How the heck are they going to do that in one season and the possible 2hr movie? I agree with others about the unnecessary reality shows that are popping up all over the world... boooooorrrrring. I for once wish TV execs started to realise that its not just the diehard oldies watching these shows. My 10yo and 13yo watch SG-1 and Atlantis, they have grown up with it. And a younger cast???? Now how believable is that going to be when the casts we have experienced have been professionals in their fields for the exploration work they have been doing. Or are they going to be like Doogie Howser? Come on get real continue with what you have and explore.
Sep 19, 2008
Has anybody read this article? (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/09/meet_the_istargate_universei_tea.shtml) I thought about SG1 "200"'s YOUNG team immediately(LOL). hope this RUMOR Universe team keeps in rumor :P
Sep 14, 2008

sign people...
Sep 13, 2008
I think the rating numbers are a long way from the true viewing figures, people like me have been downloading these episodes for many many years, ok this is not strickly legal but I know from my download sources SGA is one of the most popular downloads, I wonder when these large american companys will get with the times & actually give people what they want & count all viewing meathods when compiling rating numbers, seems to me too many good shows have been cancelled becouse of a ancient business practice.

If anybody from scifi is reading this - try putting the last few episodes up for download at a cost of $1 per episode I think you will be supprised just how many pay & download - I know I would .. plz don't make the same mistakes as the music industry ...... just my 2cents worth
Sep 13, 2008
I have always been a crazy stargate fan since I first watched the movie and now the tv series. When it started I wanted to act and I am pretty good at it now. What I really want to know when the casting call is coming up because I will do anything, well not everything if I can not afford it (hate being poor), is coming up. Want sign up for the casting.
Sep 11, 2008
I wrote to Sci-Fi to complain they were canceling Stargate Atlantis: feedback@scifi.com
Sep 11, 2008
Stargate is great. Hope they keep new franchises coming every years.
Sep 11, 2008
I agree, they have'nt even scratched the surface with Atlantis yet, why are they going to drop a potential award winning sci-fi to start somthing new,i mean didnt atlantis come along during SG-1's prime, whats the big deal about having 2 SG's at once. if anything it would help launch the new "Universe" series.
Sep 08, 2008
Yet again the yanks shoot themselves in the foot! Another top class sci-fi act dumped!! Universe sounds good, but it's another 'hope the fans will watch' move instead of more creative writing and plot lines for an established favourite. Anyway, the way it's going there won't be any decent sci-fi series anywhere soon!! Medical and police dramas and s***e reality programs, whoopy F****n doo! Come on!! America's tv networks get a grip and start listening to your audiences and not ratings. Ratings are never 100% accurate. Grow up.!!!!
Sep 06, 2008
I love SGA and will miss it, but it is getting a little stale- hasn't lived up to the possibilities of a new universe (same as Voyager and Enterprise) - need writers with big imaginations. I agree that a new young cast is not necessarily the answer-why can't we find out more about the ancients as the whole of Atlantis itself is explored,surely there are hundreds of stories on the ship alone!!!
Sep 03, 2008
Okay what i dont understand is... why end the program again just to start another with a different name??? is there really much point when you can leave it as it is... it was bad enough when sg1 finished now atlantis is finishing early its not right!
Sep 03, 2008
Lexa Doig, Claudia Black and the sexy blond nurse in SGA, bring them all back on the new series SG Universe, we need more hot chicks, heck you might even throw in Charisma Carpenter for good measure, as well as the two Superhot Jessicas (Alba)&(Biel). LONG LIVE STARGATE!!!
Sep 02, 2008
We don't want Stargate Universe !
We want Stargate Atlantis.
To help us

Sep 02, 2008
I am completely PO'd! I mean, I was upset when SG-1 was canceled; but, we at least had 10 wonderful seasons. Plus, the promise of at least the 2 DVD movies (maybe more???). And there was Atlantis, which I love; Stargate, but kinda totally different...ya know? But now, it seems that while Atlantis is still doing very well (despite Woolsey being in command), that they are going to offer Atlantis up as a sacrificial lamb, for Stargate: Universe. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch the new show; but, why do we have to give Atlantis up so soon {2-hour TV movie aside)??? What a rip!
Sep 01, 2008
Ah, the old "younger viewers" ploy. CW, meet Stargate. They'd better have a huge cast on the space ship Jupiter 2, ah, I mean Destiny, so that there isn't too much inbreeding while they're hopping in and out of bed with each other. While SGA didn't hold a candle to SG-1, it wasn't pandering to the insistence on younger and prettier actors. File this under "What were they thinking?"
Sep 01, 2008
Well i got to say i'm absolutly gutted once again the only bright side a new series, i guess you have to hand it to Brad Wright and Robert Cooper they know how to make sci-fi so im sure the new show will be great, my guess is there is only so much these guys can work on and having new ideas and wanting to create new projects means the downfall of sga, especialy now with sg movie projects to work on to, so is it realy sci-fi that is canceling the show when you realy think about it?. still absolutly gutted once again
Aug 28, 2008
Stargate. Voyager.

How are they going to use STARGATES if they're trapped on a ship? Anybody? No, any gate travel will simply be thrown in willy nilly to stay true to the show's name.
Aug 28, 2008
I'll probably watch the new show, but only because I'm loyal. There should be nobody who could be called "Young" on any SG team - They are supposed to be the best, elite! Not wet-behind-the-ears! Top Gun was annoying when I was 20, and I don't think I'll like it now either.

The SciFi channel must be run by morons! They're not interested in Science Fiction anymore. It's turning into the Wrestling/Horror channel.
Aug 26, 2008
Just read the news about SGA being cancelled and have to say i'll be sorry to see it go, although IMO it has failed to live up to the standrds of season one it has still been a pretty good show, i liked most of the characters partiuclarly Sheppard and Mckay. Just had the season 5 premiere in the uk and it was only an ok episode so maybe it has prematurely run it's course. As for SG:U i'll give it a go when it reaches us as it is a stargate show and deresves a chance and a full season butt i agree about the ST: Voyager, lost in space comparisons, i just hope it can be better than both of them. In the way Farscape exceeded all expectation of it despite having a premise that sounded like it could have been a Buck Rogers/Lost in Space rip-off.
Aug 26, 2008
They should just go with the former story line of Universe a 9th chevron and then combine Stargate SG-1 with Stargate Atlantis to explore this new Universe instead of this Star Trek: Voyager RIP-OFF.

I'm part of the international fan base. Just because the Hosting network is based in The US doesn't you should forget that any decision being made doesn't only affects viewing in The US, but that of the The United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, etc its bad enough we have to go without Stargate SG-1 and now Stargate Atlantis. I think the international community should have there say as we are not view these shows for free.
Aug 26, 2008
it sounds like star trek when they say heading to strange new worlds
Aug 26, 2008
Someone probably asked for more money. So, the p-brains at the Sci Fi Channel decided its time for a new, less costly, cast.
Aug 25, 2008
this show might be good but still think they should have kept atlantis
Aug 25, 2008
We will will see how it ends, for the moment it is good news, let's if it staya that way
Aug 25, 2008
NOWAY!! i cant believe there cancelling Atlantis!! i luv ronan and mckay. they need to add them into the new show at least!
Aug 25, 2008
Like several friends over in the UK, we're gutted that SGA has been axed. Sg1rulez is quite correct, there is a considerable following all over the world!! Hey, I got my entire family and friends hooked on it!!! To me, it seems that the TV execs Stateside make the same mistake over and over again - cancelling brilliant shows for bizarre reasons. People around the world rely on US TV, expecially sci-fi - I watch very little UK TV progs, aside from Doctor Who. The way I see it, if viewing figures are on the up for SGA, keep it going for at least two more seasons - then review whether to continue. If you've got something that works, why mess with it?? After all, the third spin-off could be a failure!! Why risk everything on something new and unknown?? So, come on Sci-Fi, listen to the worldwide fan-base; invest in SGA for at least two more series and sit on SGU for the time being. You know it makes sense!!!
Aug 25, 2008
It a great news for a new series i loved SGA and i`m going to miss atlantis. I don`t like it how is going to begin trap in a spaceship and travel. It sounds not stargate like another science fiction serie not based on the orginal script of travelling through acual stargate and then travel around the universe. And If they don`t include old members of stargate like sam, mac kay even john or Ronan or daniel more than just one member hopefully into the script it will be a disaster. But i will be one of the first to watch it.
Aug 25, 2008
Yawn! A group of people trapped on a spaceship, meeting new worlds and civilisations while they try to make it back home...sounds a heck of a lot like Voyager to me. Been there, done that...as an idea, it's tired, old and desperately unoriginal. And as for 'we're sticking to what makes Stargate unique...' Oh, puhlease! What made SG unique was that our heroes travelled to other worlds through a...stargate! Any and every other SF show out there can wander through space in a spaceship. Seems to me that what they're actually doing is removing the elements that DID make SG unique and continuing the franchise with a tired old formula done to death already by other shows. Shame on them for trying to palm this off as original and part of the SG universe.
Aug 25, 2008
This sounds kinda like Farscape scenario? Well, from John Crichton's prospective anyway.......
Aug 25, 2008
When they say younger I think and hope they mean less experienced than the SG1 and Atlantis teams. It will make for an interesting show with the cast questioning there motives and options on what to do. I want them to experience the stargate and all the wonders of the ancients first hand. I want them to see everything with a new eye if you will.
Aug 25, 2008
I think Atlantis should keep going, sadly I haven’t watched season 4 or any of 5 yet but I slept on the show and only started watching from S2, then went back to watch S1 and then saw S3. It’s funny because I remember thinking back then that this is genuinely a great show, a match for SG-1 but I doubt it will go past 5 or 6 seasons. Now I found out a few days ago that it’s over at the end of S5 which is a shame because there is so much that could be done. I’m glad that there’s going to be a third show because I just love Sci-Fi shows, anything to do with outer-space gets my attention! Stargate Rules!
Aug 25, 2008
I agree with the people saying that SGA should keep going, there are so far to with this series yet. They had SG1 and SGA running consecutively, why not SGA with universe. I just got used to the SGA characters and like them a lot. C'mon guys.. soo many stories and possibilities. you could go with SG1 for 10 seasons. SGA at least deserves about 7 or even 8. PS. International viewers count as well.
Aug 25, 2008
What is this bs Atlantis should stay I believe they should even bring back SG-1. Now we have Universe sounds too much like a Star Trek Voyager rip off come on guys be original stop cancelling shows let them run their course. I don't see why the couldn't have all 3 shows on at once in the first place as the fan base is high and we aren't just talking about The US
Aug 25, 2008
Oh man why the hell do the execs do this? I'm all for a new Stargate show, but not at the expense of Atlantis, and just when it was coming out with some really really good plotlines. If universe turns out like the young SG1 from ep200.... :(
Aug 25, 2008
anyone remember that scene from sg1 ep 200. with the younger, hipper sg1. i hope its not like that!
Load More Comments