Strike already taking toll on shows

tv_StrikeSource2.jpg

The Writers Guild of America strike isn't even a day old yet, and television schedules have already changed.

As predicted, the first programs to be affected are late-night talk shows, which typically tape five nights a week with shows airing the same day. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Late Show with David Letterman, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, and Last Call with Carson Daly are all currently scheduled to opt for repeats rather than go ahead without their scribes, according to the Associated Press.

CBS said its two late-night offerings, Letterman and Ferguson, will be repeating through the end of the week, but will almost certainly extend that date as it deems necessary. The fate of ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live, which could try to go ahead with Kimmel winging it, was still up in the air as of this afternoon.

ABC also revised the premiere date of one of its new shows. Cashmere Mafia, starring Lucy Liu, will no longer debut on November 27 as originally planned. Instead, the drama's release date has been given the nebulous "to be announced" stamp.

NBC's Heroes is preparing for the worst. According to TVGuide.com, the superhero drama is reshooting the final episode of the season's first half--also known as Volume One or "Generations."

Originally scheduled for multiple volumes, the second season of the drama may be halved, and the reshooting of the December 3 episode is designed to wrap things up nicely...by transforming the episode into a potential season finale rather than a midseason cliffhanger. The strike was allegedly also the cause of the indefinite postponement of the Heroes: Origins spin-off.

In a strange bit of irony, it isn't the lack of writers' words that cut production of one show short, but rather writers' words. Noise and disruptions from the strike brought shooting of Cane to a halt in Los Angeles, says The Hollywood Reporter.

An upcoming episode of the CBS drama was being filmed at a café near the network's lot, but "about 20 writers chanted, screamed, and used a bullhorn" close enough to the action that the cameras were forced to be turned off. According to the Reporter, "After the shoot was stopped, writers cheered and rejoined picketers around the corner at the studio."

For more on the writers strike, check out TV.com's Strike Source, featuring up-to-date statuses on shows, the latest information, and more.

Isn't this strike like an episode of the Simpsons when cartoons were banned for violence and all the kids went out and played and led healthier lifestyles...until the ban was over? Maybe it's a good thing to not watch as much television!

I'm sure everyone has a claim for DVD sales - the writers, the actors, the musicians, the dvd case inventors...All I know is that they make a whole lot more than I do and probably a lot more than the majority of their viewing audience so I don't have any empathy. I'm afraid they are all hurting themselves. I think maybe strikes should be reserved for really important things if you want them to be taken seriously (like poverty and poor working conditions and schools and discrimination issues). Some people who used to be avid fans don't care much for baseball after the strike - they thought the players were too greedy. It makes the average person angry to think they are barely making ends meet and there are people who can but it's not good enough!

You don't have to agree with my opinion - I just wanted to share it!!!!
When will the strikes ever end? It's hurting the shows that people watch.
Leave the Heroes midseason cliffhanger alone. Thats the way it was written for the future episodes so leave it alone. Its would be off the air until next year anyway. I'll wait 2 months or 6 months for the second part of the season. Or better yet, give the writers what they want. Without them you have no great shows like Heroes, Bionic Woman, Battlestar Galactica. We would have stupid shows for people who don't think like I Love New York, The Fattiest Loser, and The Singing Bee. From what I am reading they want 4 more cents per DVD sold...You can't even buy a piece of gum for 4 cents anymore.
The strikes are a tough situation but it's unfair to always picture a network as the bad guy. The network can't create a product without writers, and in turn the fans become angry at the network - I don't think we actually know enough about the issue to really comment. People have been saying 'let the writers have the extra few cents of DVD sales' but we don't have any realistic idea as to what that will cost the networks - can they even afford to have this happen. I'm just saying that I doubt most people commenting really know enough about the issue to suggest resolutions.

That being said, I think the writers are only going to punish themselves through this strike. I ask you what is televised when there are no writers.... thats right, reality television! Scripted TV has already been threatened by reality TV in the last decade, and this strike will only serve to exacerbate the situation. Just like in 1988 when the writers strikes lead to the creation of COPS - a reality show still around today!

On the other hand, there's the fact that in the 88 strike I think like 10% of all television audiences were lost and they still haven't recovered those viewers today! - that is bad for the networks!

So it seems both sides of the camp have reason to settle. I've got my money on the writers accepting a deal which today may seem ok but 20 years from now they're going to get screwed over yet again, once more heading down to the picket lines. Strikes in the 60's, the 80's and now the 00's - these writers are intelligent enough to come up with great television but couldn't negotiate their way out of a box!
For those of you who support the writers, check this out.

Spread the word! If the studios don't have writers or viewers then they have no power. The execs need to learn who is REALLY responsible for all that money they make. That would be us, the fans/consumers.
Well, with some of the ideas and thoughts portrayed here it is no wonder if the networks think they can get away with hoarding all revenues to themselves and disrespecting the creative talents actually delivering their shows. ...'hiring independent witers', ... ,poor viewers aren't treated as important enough, so end the strike now'? Really guys, don't you care that you try to undermine the very people that are creating the very shows you are loving so much? If all the viewers would go ahead and let the network know what they want them to do and actually refuse to watch television during the strike and write the sponsors of the shows to help make the networks decide on giving in the really reasonable demands of the writers guild, maybe then some here needn't talk about their unappreciated viewer selves.
What are all the shows being affected. I can't beleive Heroes is getting affected. I hope it doesn't spread to my fav show, Supernatural. Let this stop now.
The writers do deserve the extra 4 cents that they're asking. With that said, when it comes down to money, no one else is considered but those who give the money and those who receive the money. In this strike, the viewers aren't important. They're pushed off to the sidelines and are forced to watch in dismay as their TV shows get postponed or shortened. The networks need to find a way to keep the shows going. Be it give the writers what they want, or hire new ones. Whatever. Our TV shows cannot be stopped. They're in the entertainment industry. And if they cannot provide entertainment, then they shouldn't be in the industry in the first place.

End the strike.
is it so hard for people to share what they got

with another person or group?
I've already seen one result of the strike, as far as late-night programming is concerned: General Motors has pulled its "Pontiac Garage" I.D.'s {"The 'Jimmy Kimmel Live Concert Series'...powered by Pontiac!"} from "JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE". They're not inclined to sponsor "stale" repeats of musical groups featured on the show...and that's going to hurt ABC because General Motors is their biggest advertising support on Kimmel's series....
I don't know what writers are paid on different shows, but I did read in my local newspaper that one issue they had was that they were receiving no payment for episodes they had written that were later being released on DVD. In other words, they are paid to write the episode for TV, but only the studios get to profit from the DVD releases.

DVD's seem to cause lots of problems. For instance, some shows like Roswell and Charmed have faced long release delays because no one had the forsight to get the music that is played on the shows during original filming liscenced for later DVD releases as well. Stupidity like that means that the bands can refuse to let a show play their songs, or ask for more money when a studio wants to produce a DVD, holding up production, and sometimes requiring dubbing new songs by new bands over the original songs.

If you ask me, the studios should automatically assume there will be a DVD release, have any music that is played for an episode automatically liscensed for use on future DVD releases, and give the writers extra compensation for any episodes they have written that go to DVD as well as TV.

This is tricky since not all shows make it to DVD, but most know ahead of time if they plan on doing so. Worst case scenario is that you only hire bands that will grant permission to use their songs in DVD releases, and pay writers for their contributions if a DVD set is released. They have a guild, so they shouldn't be hard to track down.

All of that being said, why can't some of these shows hire freelance writers, or schedule new episodes for spring or summer release if need be instead of having reruns all summer long and only a ten or twelve episode season? Use some common sense.

The writers have the right to strike, but the Studios also have the right to hire temporary replacements until the strike is over, and surely there are hundreds or thousands of would-be Hollywood writers chomping at the bit at the chance of writing for shows like Heroes, Smallville, etc. The Producers and Directors should have a general outline for how the shows and episodes are supposed to progress or else they are doing a poor job.

I'm all for the right to strike, but when you start to read about writers using Bullhorns to disrupt fiming of shows like "Cane" just because they are on strike, that's when it is time to call the police and report them as disturbing the peace. Regular people wouldn't get away with that sort of thing, so why should studio writers? It is fine to strike, but not to interfere with a company trying to continue doing business while one is in progress. The writers aren't the only ones who get paid, so why should the actors, producers, cameramen, soundpeople, and all the other crewmembers be out of work just because of the writer's strike?

And let's not forget the people who make it all possible, namely the viewers like you and me. Are any of you really going to try and say that you will be content to see seasons that have already been scaled back to a ridiculous 22 episodes per year, and with more commercial time than ever, having seasons comprised of only 10-15 episodes? I don't think so, people!
I hope the producers and networks will see reason quickly and once put their viewers and incidently their staff first and give them their due. I can't believe (well maybe I can but it still sucks!) that they try to short change their writers on revenue from the not so new "new media". The real losers in this seem to be the other staff members that will be let go during the strike without any compensation. And yet I have to say I fully support the writers strike how ever long it might take. Back to the books for now.
i dont want to sound like an idiot. But what does this mean for tv shows? Are they all going to stop running this week? Or will they still show new episodes as sceduled?
I'm with the writers, but I think the attention span of the viewers are short. The viewers will get frustrated, yell, scream, and then move on. They aren't going to wait through a 22 week strike if it goes that long again. They will turn to alternatives. With the Internet the way it is now, the writers may not have jobs to come back to. That happened a supermarket during the grocery strike here in cali. The company shut down the store for loss of sales and those grocery workers were out of a job. How come nobody thinks through the long term? It sucks that we are running out of new episodes, but it sucks worse that so many people are screwed out of pay.
I see a lot of people commenting on how greedy the writers are. Well, it's the viewers who are mad because their show is ruined or canceled who are the greedy ones. Me-me-me! Never mind that the writers are trying to support their families and are being screwed by the companies. Go Unions!!
Why not import some shows then? I've seen quite a few good shows from Canada, UK and other places over the years. Granted, living in Australia means we get different shows, but we're only a week or so behind with US shows this year so the strike hits us too. Just not as hard.
Can someone pleeeease tellme the status of Gossip Girl??? I love this show!! Ohhh maaan, this sucks.
Peope unless you can provide links PROVING what writers get please don't make those claims. Burden of proof is on you, so if you make those claims please back them up with sources.

I also never meant ALL writers are rich, just the ones working on TV shows. Unless you can provide links showing they are not. Heroes is my favorite show and I don't think everybody should suffer over money issues. Everybody is loosing money and entertainment. End the strike!
This is for all you naysayers out there who don't support the writers.

You think they are being greedy? Do you really? So you know what the WGA is asking for? Hmm? How about getting paid for the work they did on New Media. Getting paid sounds greedy, does it? Okay, how about doubling the cut they get on DVD sales? You wanna know what they make right now: 4 cents for every $15. They want 8.

So far the WGA has dropped 9 of it's terms (it's probably been more actually), and every time the Nets have shot them down. In essence the Nets are not giving the writers ANYTHING they want, or in fact deserve.

Here's the deal: screenwriting is not as lucrative as it sounds. Don't believe me? Look it up. The average television screenwriter makes about $30,000 a year. And most have families to support. Yes, it's true, there are some incredibly wealthy screenwriters, but typically they also are producers, OR are working on an extremely popular show.

So before you go running your mouth of about how the writers are greedy, look at the facts.

I myself fully support the screenwriters. Why? Because I hope to one day write for television myself...yes, even with the pay tending to be as low as it is.
This is also going to kill off some new shows that have promise, which sucks.
Ok End the strike already
If the writers are striking now, why is heroes affected? Should this seasons episodes already be filmed and done?
I hope this doesn't go on for to long.
My prediction is that the strike will last 2 weeks (a month tops), then they will get what they want, and the strike will be over. Then again, I am extremely optimistic. :)
should be interesting to see how long this thing lasts for
forget about understanding them...all hollywood is just way too greedy and selfish and the ones that are going to be affected are the viewers even after all our loyalty - without us watching the wirters wouldnt even be needed, this is all greed if you ask me. and for the recored i think everyone should stick to downloading for free and not use itunes then this whole issue would beresolved haha - or just do it the old fashioned way, watch it on tv or tivo it! dont pay to watch online coz all its doing is causing problems.
Its really a shame that they ruined a recording of one of my favorite shows. I can understand them striking, but interfering with a production is outright lame and they ALL should have been arrested for trespassing.
I sympathize with some writers but seeing Julia "billionaire heiress" Louis-Dreyfuss out there picketing when tons of people whose jobs depend on TV production (crew, etc.) are sent packing fumes me.
In the music business, it's long been accepted that a songwriter gets paid royalties for every instance of airplay of a song. Why should there be a different situation in TV?
Someone mentioned how this hurts the viewers, which is exactly what the writers want. In order to get their demands they are relying on the pressure from the viewers on the networks. If enough people raise enough hell hopefully this will be over rather soon. Man I am pissed about Heroes!
I'm with the writers on this one; without them writing scrips, actors are not all that special and shows aren't that much fun where the writing's crap. Even some of the actors support the strike so they understand where the writers are coming from. the writers should get royalties from DVD sales, internet viewings and whatnot. Its only fair; the producers and the actors get the credit and royalties for that, don't they? why should the writers be left out? oh and DeathisARight...not all writers are filthy rich. quite a considerable number are barely making their ends meet trying to sell scripts left and right; only those writers who are on staff and have more or less permanent jobs (until the show ends, or they get fired) have a steady income; but even then, it's a lot less than what actors and others get. (unless they're not just the average writer but created their own show, produced it, and so on and so forth..)
Heroes doesn't bother me. I have been following this strike all day yesterday (um, quote from the office for those who aren't cool enough to know). Anyways, I support the writers 110% and it is so great to see so many people who also do, be in actors, show runners, producers.
I want this over as soon as possible, but I hope the writers get their fair share as striking is tough, its not a cake walk for either side.
Even if it means going without my shows, I fully support it, and I am writing letters and boycotting whatever I can.
Heroes shortened? Now I am mad. That is my favorite show and they shorten it over credit? Extra cash to pad their already fat wallets? I say fire all of them and hire new non-union writers now!
I fully support the writer's right to strike and their right to receive a fair slice of the pie. Without the writers the producers wouldn't have any product to sell in the first place. How would you feel if you were being exploited like they are? But selfishly I hope that the re-shoot of the last episode of Heroes (volume 2) doesn't radically alter the show's direction. Heroes is an excellent show and it would be a shame if the strike has adverse affects on the story. Personally I would have just left the cliffhanger as is, even though that would have left me hanging for however many weeks/months until the strike was resolved and production resumed.
I understand where the writers are coming from. I mean without decent scripts shows wouldn't be a sucess. They do deserve more credit than what they get and money. It just bites for the viewers.
let's hope that the strike will be stopped and to see the alternative ending of Heroes' season two in the DVD edition...
Cane was interupted by about 20 writers? wow, thats 5 times more than it's actual viewers
actors can't survive without writers, and vice-versa
the whole situation saddens me - writers deserve far more credit than they usually get, and the fact that it would have to come to such desperate measures is disheartening. actors can't survive without writers, and vice-versa.
I'm sure they have families to think about. They have every right to strike, although I wish they weren't. It's like if everyone of your coworkers were getting paid a ton more than you even though you did most of the leg work for your job. You'd feel cheated too. So they should be paid more. There wouldnt be any shows without them to begin with.
Working for passion is great and all, but passion dont pay the bills. That's like saying hey the pay at McDonalds is crap, but you should work there for the rest of your life anyways because you love it so much!
Wow, they really care for viewers huh? making noise why they were doing Cane @@ all they care about is money... i should just stop watching tv shows all together.. oh how they would care then if all viewers would strike on their shows.
well if all else fails I will just watch dvds of my tvshows while this thing last
it must be so horrible to be doing what you love, people loving your writing, i mean yeah the companies are being pricks too

but come on you write for a living and i bet you don't get min wage suck it up and do it for the passion

get back to work.
Its still the first day and the strike is already getting old. get back to work. Bums!!
To the person who wrote this article: It's not volume one of heroes, that was last year's first season; it's volume two or "generations" that had to re-shoot the last episode.
From Dirk 13: Hahaha the writers strike is ruining heroes....at least something good is coming out of it.

Response (To Dirk 13): Your comment is stupid and juvenile. Heroes ROCKS !!!!!!!!
TV is sacred... Don't mess with my tv!!!!!
The people jeeting the Cane shoot are probably not writers. More like viewers.

And i wonder which of these writers are the ones "picketing and screaming at camera crews"....are these the same guys that write for top shows or are they the more radical scraggly writers?
Load More Comments