Studio 60 getting the axe?

The curtain is closing on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

The expensive NBC drama about a fictional late-night comedy show, from West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin, was the most buzzed-about new show of the fall season, but it hasn't lived up to the hype. The show's premiere was mediocre, earning 13.4 million viewers and coming in second in its time slot against CSI: Miami, and the series has since dipped to third in its time period, with 7.7 million viewers.

Studio 60's low numbers are made worse by the fact that its lead-in is new hit Heroes, the highest-rated new show of the fall season. Heroes earned 14.3 million viewers last week.

The peacock ordered three more scripts for Studio 60, but that doesn't mean they will make it to air. Fox News' Roger Friedman says cast members are already telling friends the show is ending.

NBC has had a tough time this season, with several high-profile expensive shows failing to draw big ratings. Production on the action drama Kidnapped was wrapped and the show was moved from Wednesdays to Saturdays to run out its course, and football drama Friday Night Lights has languished in its Tuesday night spot despite receiving the best reviews of any show this season.

Studio 60's fate is ironic because one of the main storylines is the fight of network head Jordan McDeere (Amanda Peet) to have high-quality programming on the fictional NBS network. In the last episode, McDeere was taking the heat for passing on a lowbrow reality show, while at the same time, in the real world, NBC president Kevin Reilly said that his network planned on devoting the 8 p.m. prime-time hour to cheaper fare such as reality and game shows and less to sitcoms and dramas.

I love Studio 60. They should keep '60' and cancel SNL. Now that show got really crappy. How could they fire so many great people? They have no one now. It is sad.

RIP Studio 60
CBS needs to buy the rights to this show, if they cancel it. They're the only channel that can put the energy and the money required for advertising & actors into this show to keep it running.

I really hope this show stays. It's one of the best shows on T.V., (24 & Heroes being better) and it really deserves a chance. Don't cancel Studio 60 prematurely, "NBS"; it's not completely Ricky & Ron's fault.
"If you can't say anything good about this show, just shut it."

Yep, that pretty much defines the mindset of modern liberalism. It's not the Christian Coalition that is causing the decay of society and the lackluster quality of television, rather it is the mindless followers of the leftist agenda, the PC censors and book-burners, the "either you agree with us or you're a trailer-dwelling, beer-swilling truck-driving redneck" types. I love Sorkin's writing when he stops trying to promote the agenda, but he can't seem to go two scenes without doing so.
I love this show. It is not up to the standard of the West Wing but it is still sharp and funny. It is a crying shame to cancel it.

We may as well give up and let Endemol productions just keep giving us the crap reality shows that are so much like each other. Sadly Endemol are from where I live in Holland.

I am watching Heroes as well and after a couple of shows got really hooked on it.
If I hear one more person put this show down, I'm cursing the lot of you.

Friday Night Lights sucks the almighty you-know-what... unless you are a pedofile who gets off on watching teenagers make out.. no story line.. drama? my as*

Studio 60 is definately more of a drama than a comedy. I love it because it goes against the norm. We've got enough stupid game shows out there. How about leaving something on for the thinking people that still exist. It's not going anywhere people, get use to it.

If you can't say anything good about this show, just shut it.
I've seen three episodes and they're alright, but nothing great. I think Aaron Sorkin needs to re-evaluate what is motivating him. All the good/funny stuff (IMHO) has to do with the relationship Perry's character is having/not having and some stuff with the writers. When they do "let's insert a bit that makes a political point" bit the show really slows down and falters. I'm as non-religious as you can get and after 2 episodes of the "let's stick it to the fundamentalist Christians/Crazy Christians" bit it was getting old. You want to be on the edge or think you're controversial Aaron? How about a "Crazy Muslims" sketch instead with a cast member playing the part of Mohammed. Now THAT would generate some publicity, (and some bomb threats I'm guessing too). But that doesn't fit his ideology, it doesn't take a shot at the "right" people. Instead he goes back to the same old well with the "Let's work a McCarthy/blacklist theme here, let's work another anti Bush angle over there. It's not too overt and yeah, it could be funny, but unless you're "one of the choir" so much of the show is stale re-hash of the exact same themes that were explored on The West Wing. The show is predictable, so, to many people it's boring.
i am going to be so pissed if Studio 60 gets cancelled. It's the best show on TV right now and it deserves atleast 4 or more seasons. If NBC decides to can it, atleast let it finish out the season so it doesnt leave the fans of it hanging.
I hope it doesn't get cancelled, I really want to see it if the show ever reaches the UK.
I know TV is about profit, but good writing does not come cheap! Studio 60 is a solid drama that requires an intelligent viewer to catch the fast-paced irony and dry wit. I think if it were given a decent time slot it would do great. Ripping it off the air to put on Friday Night Lights was a stupid knee-jerk reaction that left viewers confused. How can you build Studio 60 loyalty if viewers do not know when it will be on. Shame on NBC for taking the low road on this one.
This is truly absurd. Studio 60 is the second best show out there, next to Heroes. They're both smart shows that you have to use your mind to figure out; its no wonder so many people hate them, they can't comprehend them. Just like NBC can't comprehend that THIS SHOW NEEDS TO STAY! Friday Night Lights, on the other hand....meh....
Well I'm really not surprised, overhyped from the very beginning, expensive to produce, and the show has Matthew Perry (the friends actors seem to be cursed when it comes to coming back to TV). So long Studio 60.
Want to improve the quality of Studio 60? Less screen time for Matthew Perry and a lot more for Steven Weber. Better yet...just give Steven Weber his own show. He certainly has the resume and talent to deserve one.
sorry for saying this, but i just don't get why people like heros. i watched the first 5 episodes, i don't really like it. on the other hand, studio is one of my best showes, and as far as i know that all my friends like it too. so people say it is not funny enough, but this is not a comdey show, it is a drama.
YAY! Studio 60 was awful lol.

If I had to listen to 1 more pissy speech about how clever & dynamic a scetch on a SNL knockoff was from Peet or Perry I woulda thrown the TV out the window.
I love this show. There is just something about it that keeps me watching. I can't describe it, but the show has me hooked, and i really don't want to see it go. I absolutely love the cast, they are all fantastic as well as the writing. I just wish more people could see how good this show is, b/c it's one of the few good shows left on television.
Overhyped and underperformed = gone
Seems a bit early to cancel the show, but then again I am not in "the business"

RIP Studio 60
Although this show is not outstanding it does have some entertaining aspects, it has some good acting and very good writing, lets hope it doesn't get axed.
What a shame. I'm a big fan of all the charcters and while the writing isn't extraordinary, the dialogue is certainly better than anything on television at the moment.

Maybe this will teach Aaron Sorkin a lesson - he shouldn't have left the West Wing! And he's incapable of caputring lightning in a bottle again.

How tragic.
although Studio 60 isnt one of my favourite shows, i would like it to continue...they should change the script a little but not give up on it.
I've watched every episode so far and I'm not surprised the show is doing poorly. While the show is pretty good....the show within the show STINKS. It's just not remotely believable that Studio would be a hit sketch comedy show, and the main show suffers for it.
I don't think they should cancel it...I'm just now getting into it! It's one of those shows that grows on you!!! Give it a chance!

Also, I'm really enjoying Friday Night Lights, despite all the typical stereotypes! Don't cancel it either!
I really hope they do not cancel Studio 60 it is a smart show with great writing. It desevers all the support it can get. heroes is great and i love watching it but I look forward to Studio 60 just as much if not more. I have no interest in Friday night lights and turned the tv off after heroes last night. hoping for a long run of Studio 60... it will be worth it.
studio 60 >>>>>>>> crap
bring smith back on cbs
I really hope NBC doesn't cancel Studio 60. It is pretty much the only show that NBC offers these days that I make sure I tune in for or make sure I DVR. And to hear that NBC is going to go with more reality TV shows and less scripted shows... All I can say is that TV has definitely gone down hill! As many have stated already, it would be an incredibly hypocritical thing to do after bidding so high on a show that talks about this very thing. Studio 60 needs to be given more than a handful of episodes to prove itself. (As mentioned in another post, the West Wing started off in a very similar way).

In summary, if NBC cancels Studio 60 and adds more reality shows, especially after the comments Amanda Peet's character had regarding reality shows two weeks ago, it will be the nail in the coffin for me with NBC and I will tune out the Peacock network for good.
Studio 60 is the Best show out from the new crop of shows. I've watched the OVER-HYPED heroes, and while it has some entertainment value, I find it rather boring and way too predictable. Come on, who really didn't 5 minutes before it happened that the kid was going to attempt to rape the cheerleader.

On the contrast, Studio 60 has the amazing ability to take 2-3 continuing story lines and merge them seamlessly with 2-3 single episode story-lines with amazing richness and undertones. I wish more shows had the depth that Studio 60 has brought to TV. (That being said, NBC will still probably cancel it because they care nothing anymore for quality, rather they care about the bottom line.. I.E. in their own press release they are going to focus on more reality shows because they are cheap to produce-- forget the fact that the american public is overwhelmed by this cheap meaningless drivel)
And while we're at it -
don't cancel Friday Night Lights either!
These good shows just need a chance to be seen.
Like who here doesn't think ABC canceled Invasion way too soon? It probably would've been doing much better after Lost than The Nine is now.
They better not cancel it, there are only 2 shows I like about that channel and its that and Heroes (the reality tv's doesnt count because I rarely watch much of them). This is almost exactly like Surface (a great show it was, and even though they did a whole season, it was still canceled)
DON´T CANCEL. Great show, great dialogues!
All I know is... if they cancel it... they will be contradicting the very show is about. NBC... you really need to reconsider. Are reality shows really that much better than a good solid drama with a pretty decent meaning? Or are you going to sell out and go the cheap route and go with most of the time... sleazy reality shows?
Well studio 60 is not the best of the season but it is very good! it would be a shame if it didn´t complete at least one season!
I have said this before, the reason for the problem is the salary of the stars, writers, directors, producers etc. Cut back in that to accomodate lower viewership and then these shows will be around longer. The same thing is happening in the sports world, not everyone can afford the high prices of seats. They are marketing themselves out of jobs. Take a pay cut!
I always hate to see good, scripted dramas cancelled but I gave this show a chance and it just bored me. you can only take so much of sarcastic banter between people. It becomes over done. Some people may like this show and I hope it survives but it wasn't for me. Heroes is great and I also really enjoy Friday Night Lights.
What did you guys expect. Sorkin is a great writer but the show was not written to hold the attention of the adverage middle american Television viewer. And the Casting was hideous. They should have never casted actors to play the role of comedians. Why the hell not just cast Comedians?! Everytime they'd show a clip from the fictional show - it was like watching a bad highschool "skit" (not sketch).
I keep praying that Studio 60 will remain on the air. Look at the West Wing when it first started. No one was watching and then it won the Emmy for outstanding drama. People started watching and it was one of the highest rated shows for awhile. Studio 60 is such good writing and I actually lose myself sometimes in the show. I hope that the powers that be will rethink this decision and give it more time to breathe and get an audience. How many dead bodies do people want to see for heavens' sake? speaking of CSI: Miami opposite Studio 60. ridiculous
I agree this show should be kept alive. It's million times better than any game or reality show.It's funny the axe-talk is coming up at the moment the network head is passing on a reality show to bring some high quality shows on the fictional NBS. Give the show some time to establish!!!!
Great comments from all!

Firstly, Sorking basically wrote his own check with this one; everyone expected a hight brow hit (hence the bids). What they got was no hit and less than high brow than expected. Half the cast really don't fit in and the skits really aren't funny, whether you're into Monty Python or In Living Colour. I defended this show for the first few episodes, but they are NOT showing improvement. Sorkin is basically ignoring Whitford for some of the 2nd tier characters and that's a mistake. Pace is not up to his standards and, again, it's not funny nor dramatic enough.

Still, I am continually amazed at the utter crap that's left on the air and the decent to brilliant shows that get the axe simply because humanoids DON'T GET IT. Farts and chips it is, then. Cheers!
NBC doesn't have a very good track record in keeping good (and future profitable) series on the air. This coming decision is yet another example of why GE executives should replace NBC executives!
I totally agree with Teacake911, why bid on a tv show and only air the first couple of episodes?

The ironic thing about the whole situation is that in Studio 60 was fighting against ratings and won, but in reality it's the opposite.
I so agree with you TeaCake911! and as I said before...

F*** NBC! they've cancelled all the goods shows! and I know they will do it again! There are no wrods for how stupid NBC are! bunch of F***-heads, who only stretch thier hands for money! Dont care about the shows, just look a the ratings...and cancel it! Its no logic! Im still damn fu**ing åissed about the Joey cancellation....after ONE F***ing episode with bad ratings (when NOBODY knw when it was gonna air again cause of the OL in turin) they cancelled it! Still no logic! and that is delaying the DVD-release of that season....

AGAIN!! F*** NBC! after Studio 60 is gone...there are no more shows on that channel i follow...stupid money licking F***-heads! they dont care if the rest of the world is interested in thier series, dum-asses! ...

sorry for all the harsh laung! Its so hard to explain how mad I am so I added a sound file...that explain how mad I really am!!!

Perhaps the problem is just that the people who have Neilson boxes are idiots?

Also I meant will instead of was in my last comment.
Great show, but it was overbilled. It was always deliver quality but never sensation. I hope it doesn't get cut but who knows. Put it on a different night is all I am saying. Not because of anything particular but really who wouldn't watch it over Supernatural? Monday just isnt the right time. Is there some where I can see the Prime Time TV line up for all the major networks for the week on one page?
If NBC never had any intentions of keeping this show, why the F did they outbid ABC and CBS for it when it was new and all hyped-up by critics due to the OUTSTANDING writing and cast? They can talk the talk, but when it comes time to practice what Studio 60 itself preaches (putting on 'quality' programming instead of appealing to the lowest reality-tv denomination) it's all about 'show me the ratings/money' with NBC. They make me sick.
This show is okay. They have some interesting story lines... I just get tired of the extreme emphasis on the "EVIL RELIGIOUS RIGHT" and to the fact the characters keep no secrets or "different sets of knowing".... when someone gets a big secret they announce it to everyone instead of developing it over time and creating tension.

Still, I'd rather have Studio 60, a narrative show, on the air than more trashy reality tv and game shows.
Studio 60 is a great show; clever, amusing and with pretty yet likeable characters. It has depth, and in the world of reality- and other variations of shallow, populist TV it's not going to survive ratings wars without a decent chance, in an appropriate timeslot.
Not surprising that this would get cancelled. Along with Heroes this is my favourite new series of the season so I'm devestated to hear this - although still not officially confirmed from NBC.

Honestly, if people are so stupid to watch something like CSI: Miami then put this out of its misery and put on some reality garbage. The smart people will go back to cable programming.
THIS SHOW IS FUNNY AND IT'S DIFFERENT FROM ANYTHING ON TV. IT ALSO SHOWS YOU HOW HARD IT IS TO MAKE A TV SHOW AND IT HAS A GREAT CAST.

DON'T CANCEL

THIS IS A KEEPER
They really need to try antoher time slot before shelving this show. I mean, they pitted a brand new show up against CSI:Miami, come on!

It's a brilliant show and I think it needs more time to catch on. Everything from the writing to the acting is awesome. It has so much depth to it, it's smart and creative; it's not suppose to be funny, it's drama!

C'mon NBC, you remember the days of "Hill Street Blues" and "Cheers"... yeah, those shows didn't do well at all in their first season, did they and now almost everyone know HSB and esp. Cheers!

I will be SO sad if (or should I say 'when') this show is cancled... everything that was said in the opening 'speech' of S60 was true... we're replacing quality shows with things like... My Super Sweet 16 and Big Brother... it's too bad- tv isn't what it used to be- or what it could be.
Don´t cancel this show. Give it another time slot whrere it isn´t running against such a big opponent.
Not a fan of this show, watched the first episode, wasn't too funny and this show should not have been picked up since they picked up 30 Rock as well. 30 Rock is funnier.
Load More Comments