Studio 60 lives

The reports of Studio 60's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Yesterday, rumors swirled that NBC's expensive drama Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was headed for the scrap heap. Despite the fact that NBC had ordered three more episodes of the show, cast members were reportedly telling friends the show was near its end.

Now, NBC has refuted that story, saying the show is still profitable and that the network will give it at least a little while longer. Media Daily News says NBC is frustrated by the decline of Studio 60's ratings, but that the show brings in affluent viewers that advertisers care about. Therefore, the 7.7 million viewers the show earned last week is OK--for now.

Studio 60 is the brainchild of Aaron Sorkin, creator of West Wing. The show tells the story of a Saturday Night Live-type late-night sketch comedy show. The premiere was solid, with 12 million viewers, but the show has slipped in successive weeks. Last night, NBC ran an episode of Friday Night Lights in Studio 60's time slot, and Lights scored more viewers than Studio.

Despite network assurances, if Studio 60 continues to slip, it may face cancellation. NBC quickly wrapped production on Kidnapped after it produced lower-than-expected results for the network.

thank God....i agree with Howdy Doody
I am so sick of stupid tv. The writing is genius. Canned laughter and predictable scripts are so lame. I also agree that I am sick of seeing fat husbands with gorgeous wives, "reality shows" , teens doing it all over the place and "shocking" gore and violence. For the first tie in a long time, this show, Studio 60, raises the standards of TV viewing without having to watch some documentary, the history channel or discovery. WAY TO GO NBC! And thank you for recognizing the intelligence of at least SOME of your audience. I appreciate it.
Studio 60 hasn't found it's voice. It has great acting, some witty and crisp dialog, potentially great - but unfocused - characters and certainly watchable, but somehow it still doesn't quite "click." That's why it ultimately won't last.
Yeah!! Keep the show!!!
Oh I'm so happy they decided to keep the show! I love it! Hopefully it will be there for at least one season...
Nbc did a good thing to keep "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" on for awhile. I was sad when It might be cancelled, but I'm glad that the people at NBC were able to listen to what people have to say about the show. Let's keep it on the air.
Hallelujah! I wasn't going to add a single new Fall show to my viewing schedule; none of them sounded appetizing. I was seriously considering just watching my current shows to the end of their runs and giving up on television (except for the shows I follow on BBC America). Then I was at my parents' house the night "Studio 60" premiered. Two minutes in, I was hooked and have watched every episode.

The show is far more intelligent than just about everything else on air now, the writing is crisp, the delivery is at a good pace, the chemistry between the actors is great, the show is original, and has anyone else noticed the insanely long tracking shots they do? I haven't timed them, but it feels like 5 or more minutes at times, without a single cut. Impressive. Do you realize the resets they'd have to do if an extra dropped the prop he was carrying past in the background? I wonder how many takes they end up doing?

I sincerely hope the entertainment industry pays attention and realizes what a good thing they have in "Studio 60." It's attracting intelligent people. Intelligent people generally have more money to spend on what the advertisers are selling. The audience may be smaller, but we have more dollars. Do the math, NBC.

"Studio 60" is a glorious change from the usual sex, unreal "reality," and idiot husbands with drop-dead gorgeous wives.
Holy Cow! Of course there is going to be a small audience for this show - it's intelligent television! Talk about an oxymoron! Do we really need to lower our expectations and supply television only for the Homer Simpsons of the world? Give me a break!

I love Studio 60! I watch three times a night when it's on.
I have to say that I have not found a piece of Aaron Sorkin work that I didn't like and Studio 60 is no exception. I think that Monday nights are poor nights and they could find a better time slot and if they were willing not to just move it and not tell anyone like they did with The West Wing. I think that they should do a better job of finding it a proper home because I know people like it but I think that the time slot is the problem.
I had originally posted a scathing analysis of why this show is bad, but I decided to delete it as it was in poor taste. After scrolling down and reading all of your comments, I was reminded of myself two years ago, when news got out that Fox was considering cancelling Arrested Development, which is still my favourite show. I probably sent fifty emails to Fox protesting the move... and so did many others apparently, because we did get a third season... or half of one. Look around for Save Studio 60 websites, or make one yourself. The Networks seems to respond if enough people are yelling. While I am not going to watch the show anymore, I can sympathize with your plight. Good luck to you all; for your sake I hope the show stays. Who knows, maybe I'll be drawn in too.
I love Studio 60, but what doesn't make sense NBC test ran the time slot with Friday Night Lights with a new episode, so sure the rating were higher than Studio 60. FNL fans watched Monday increasing the Monday ratings in that time slot. Anyway it always seems like the shows I really want to watch end ... is it a plot to get me to stop being a tv Junkie.. haha.
I totally agree with Dannymalt, that is exactly what I think about the show, and it's a shame that is getting so boring because I really love Matthew Perry.
NBC should definately keep this, give it time and it should so itself to pull in the audience it deserves...

its SUCH clever TV and at the moment is seriously under appreciated..
Hopefully NBC will keep this show on the air. I can't take any more "un-real" reality shows!
Dybo, i agree with everything you're saying, but I think its funny that, while calling smartavenger stupid, you use the phrase 'if your such a genius'-- is should be 'if you're such a genius'--

sorry, i had to point that out--lol
Good news for the majority. Studio 60 lives.

The issue with Studio 60 time slot still continues.
I have watched all the episodes up to now, and I did like it in the beginning, but i have decided to stop watching. It's not funny, which i wouldn't care, but the drama is not that good either. I have found myself bored too often, where i shouldn't be. The writers are good, but they should not be writing this kind of show because they are out of place. The show takes itself way too seriously, a show like this should be less like the West Wing, and more like Entourage, where there's comedy and good drama, and it's about show biz.
Hey SmartAvenger, I wish you could have made one "Smart" comment in that little rant of yours. 30 Rock, is pure comedic television, and not even good comedic television at that. To compare 30 Rock to Studio 60 is like trying to compare House and Scrubs, they are two totally different shows, with completely different audiences and the idea's behind the two shows couldn't be farther apart!

Studio 60 might be the most intelligent (and intelligently written!) show on TV today, and just because it is "over" some people's heads (and I take it that you are part of that group) does not mean that it is "pretentious", but rather written for a different demographic. And to call Aaron Sorkin a "tired hack" might be the funniest part of your entire diatribe! If your such a genius, why aren't you out in Hollywood writing for something half as brilliant as what Sorkin comes up with on his worst day?!?!?!
Studio 60 is a very poolry written show and deserves to die (as quickly as possible please.) It was a great idea, a great cast and in someone else's hands it might actually have worked. But Aaron Sorkin is a tired hack whose pretentious shows have clearly run their course. He needs to learn you can write intelligent dialogue without talking down to your audience, that having your characters give lectures to each other about the history of comedy or American warships doesn't replace the need for intelligent conversation, and most importantly, that if you're going to write a show about (supposedly) the most important comedy show in the last 20 years of television, that you had better know how to write something funny! Studio 60 isn't too bright for American viewers. It's condescending, and dull, and takes itself way too seriously. West Wing could get away with this kind of thing because after all - its about keeping our country safe and staying a superpower. But using the West Wing, self-important tone and style for a show with fart jokes just doesn't (if you'll pardon the pun) cut it. 30 Rock is far better written, funnier, engaging and interesting. And it does so in 30 minutes. Sorkin, retire for God's sake - - - and ours.
Good call.
i am glad NBC is giving Studio 60 a good chance, i hope they stick with it throughout november sweeps, this is probally it make or break time
Studio 60 and Sorkin's other shows should be CREATING affluent viewers as well as attracting them. SportsNight helped me realize how good television can really be, and I've followed Sorkin's work ever since. That's why Studio 60 needs more time on the air to help build a better audience. It turned a lot of people away at the start, but those were the wrong people for the show. I expect it has the potential to draw the right kinds of people in, it just needs time.
Studio 60 is amazing, I will admit the pilot was a little on the slow side and I think that hurt it a little, however from then it has picked up... 10/11 is late for it. I live in the UK and download it, I was only downloading it at first because Matthew Perry was in it and I like him and I was thinking that it might not be that good with him in a Drama, however I kinda liked the pilot and downloaded the second episode and really got into it. "NBC BRING IT TO THE UK", the UK people saved 24 from cancellation (Even Keifer admitted that) so bring Studio 60 to the UK we'll give you reason to keep it going. When I read this article I jumped for joy I was upset yesterday with all the rumours of it ending but now I'm happy. Keep S60 going oh and by the way it should have been on Monday night I was upset that it wasn't and I couldn't download it... Bring on the two parter.

Jak.
To Redthor:

Sports Night was by far Sorkin's greatest show. Witty, fast paced, captivating and criminally misunderstood. The romance had nothing to do with the show's cancellation. The romantic storylines existed from the beginning. It was the fact that most american audiences found the show to smart for them. On studio 60: While its no sports night, I like studio 60 and think it should get a chance to bloom. American audiences when will you wake up and realize that cheesy sitcoms like two and a half men isn't good television, goood television are those few, brilliant shows that you let die off. Shame on you!
I love how this "article" says that rumors were running wild of the demise of this show and the link goes to a TV.com "article".

Shame on you, TV.com for starting false rumors.

Continue to shine on Studio 60. Don't let TV.com and other sites who have nothing better to do than make stuff up get you down. (And that includes Fox)
I still say they should cancel SNL
Good news! a great show! doesn´t deserve to be axed so soon!
ok
yey, hopefully it'll keep going i'd say its probably my favourite new show of the season.

on the plus side west wing kept going for about 2 seasons after their ratings started to dip a lot, for the same reasoning, the affluent, advertiser friendly viewership that is commanded, hopefully same will hold true for studio60
Hurrah! I really like the show.
I've been finding Studio 60 to be a little bit too self-congratulatory in the first few eps. It's also been formulaic early on: "Oh no, we need a sketch and you're having a moment of personal drama!" "Here's a sketch we found at the last minute." "Wow, what a great show we just did!"

The biggest problem it faces, though, is the lack of real world issues. TWW worked in this format because the crises being navigated were topical and could be understood by anyone who watches CNN. The crises in S60 aren't as interesting to anyone outside the industry - though I'll bet they're all nodding sagely when THEY watch the show.
Good for studio 60
I don't understand why people stopped watching this after the pilot! It's an amazingly smart show and the episodes as so engaging... Glad that NBC is giving it a chance!
This is the best news ever. I almost thought that it was again the sophisticated show that would get the axe. Thank god NBC isn't that kind of channel.
NBC... just keep it going. It will improve. People need a chance to watch it.

What they need to do is air some reruns during the week or on the weekend, so that other people might catch it. Do something... just dont shove the show aside and call it a day.
I agree with smartguy, NBC should make some simple moves. Studio 60 to Tuesday 9pm and L&O:CI to Monday 10pm. Also, maybe move Friday Night Lights. I don't know where though, maybe sometime on Wednesday?
It's all a bunch of lip service. All in all, the network won't pick up the series.

First of all, they've already paid for 13 episodes whether they air them or not because that's what's stipulated in the contract (unlike the other new shows).

Secondly, it's the most expensive show to produce. That's probably because of all those high paying salaries to Sorkin and the many-named actors. Thirdly, it's failed to be likeable.

It's a big ego goose egg.
Aaron Sorkin was great with "West Wing", but take a look at his previous series "Sports Night". "Sports Night" had a great cast and a good story line, then Siorkin started focusing on the love lives of the characters, and the show tanked. "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" is going the same way. The story line is concentrating on the romantic problems of the Matthew Perry character and his former girlfriend Sarah Paulson, while ignoring the problems of producing a live SNL type program. Would West Wing have lasted 7 years by focusing only on the romantic problems of the President and the First Lady?
Now, we just have to find the people whose televisions factor into the ratings and make sure THEY watch. Me telling my next door neighbor just isn't going to cut it! ;-)
Well this is good news. I love the show. The 2nd best new show this season!!!
That's too bad... 'Kidnapped' was up against some stiff competition. Given a different season, a different line up maybe, it would have done well, I think.
Aside from CSI: Miami, which I'm sure is putting a hurting on the ratings, I have to agree with what "5alive" said which is it's on a little late for some people. It's also competing against Monday Night Football which takes a good amount of male viewers away as well. I have no idea why a show like this would get cancelled. But of course if it does you know NBC is sure to bring back stellar Television viewing the likes of "Fear Factor" (Yay!)
Studo 60 will stay on.

There are more thinking people out there now.

I love this show, it's the only thing that I watch. I say we all e-mail NBC whenever they don't put it on. I gave them h*ll last night. Friday night lights... ugh. A bunch of teenagers getting it on. How shallow and stupid... great for pedofiles though. j/k I think we need smarter things on tv besides 'my name is earl,' omg! Studio 60 all the way~!
i agree with smart guy- move studio 60 up an hour somehow and it;ll be a huge sucess...personally, for atlantic folk its on at 11, which is kinda hard to watch when you get up at 6:15 but i love this show and glad its sticking around
The ONLY thing wrong with Studio 60 is its timeslot. Switch it with Law and Order: CI, for goodness sakes, and you'll have a L&O on Monday at 10 and Tuesday at 10! CSI: Miami is killing 60 and will kill it if the show isn't moved. Let something like CI come in and you'll see the ratings even out.
This is the One Show that really needs to stay on the air and I hope it's audience picks up and NBC picks it up for a full season (the first of many!)
The gem of the new season line up is still shining at least for now,please let sanity reign and keep Studio 60 going for all of us who believe good tv still exists outside of the csi stable
The first step to success.
studio 60 rocks
Cool, i love studio 60

the reason its not doing good is because it is way too smart for Americans to comprehend. Many of the jokes go over their heads. If there isnt sex or things blowing up, they don't want to watch it...
Thank God, Studio 60 lives!
Load More Comments