Suits: Blast from the Past

Suits S02E08: “Rewind”

I hate to say it, but I was skeptical when I saw the promo for “Rewind.” Mostly, it was that bit from Mike at the end, in full pothead bike messenger regalia, eying up his future mentor and quipping, “If I ever look like that, shoot me.”

There’s only so much “look how clever we are” winking at current continuity that I can take. Plus I was annoyed by the fact that Hardman finally made his play last week, moving to throw Jessica out of power, and it looked like we would be spending an hour screwing around in the flashback funhouse instead of, you know, addressing the coup.

Good thing the flashback funhouse turned out to be FUN.

In the present, Harvey sent Mike on a special mission to initiate contact with an ex-Pearson-Hardman lawyer, Monica, who just so happened to leave the firm around the time Harvey and Jessica gave Hardman the boot. Harvey, meanwhile, hopped a train and stared pensively out the window for most of the episode. Cue flashbacks.

Where were you in 2007? I was a grumpy undergrad picking fights with professors over whether or not stilettos are a form of oppression. (Their argument: YES. My argument: Only if you LET them be! I happen to think they make my legs look FABULOUS.) Mike Ross was a loveable stoner with a photographic memory that made for a neato trick in picking up chicks. Harvey was a successful senior associate frustrated with his little office and seemingly fixed position on the corporate ladder. BUT HEY, AT LEAST HE HAD DONNA BACK THEN.

The Donna/Harvey love hurt, man. She was sassy and brilliant and happy. They busted out the mysterious can opener ritual, she bugged Harvey’s office just because and bonded with then-new girl Rachel, “You’re weird. We’ll be friends.” Oh god, I miss Donna. This episode could have been awful and I still would have appreciated it for the copious amounts of Donna during a time in the main storyline where such an abundance of Donna sightings wouldn’t have made a lot of sense.

When Jessica went to Harvey with paperwork indicating that someone at the firm was embezzling money from clients’ escrow accounts, asking that he “follow the money,” the reason for our trek to the past suddenly became clear. Harvey agreed to help Jessica with the condition that he be offered a partnership when all was said and done.

When we weren’t tagging along during Harvey’s investigation, we were picking up chicks with Sucky Friend Trevor (before he was a truly sucky friend) and Mike. Honestly, I spent most of their screen time waiting for the chance to head back to the happenings at Pearson-Hardman. We saw him meet Jenny, but I never cared much for her and she’s gone, so... who cares? I enjoyed seeing Trevor be awesome, though. It was so frustrating, during the first season, listening to Mike protest Harvey’s insistence that Trevor was bad news, that Trevor was ruining his life, and then watching Trevor actively do just that, just to have Mike turn around and defend him. We only ever heard that they were great friends going way back, so it was hard to sympathize with Mike’s reluctance not to ditch him. It was nice to see what they used to be.

But overall, it was just hard to get excited about Mike’s backstory. We know how Mike Ross ended up at Pearson-Hardman. We know why he used to take LSATs for cash. We know all about his sick grandma.

Harvey's past, however, has largely been a mystery for most of the series and, despite everything we learned in “Rewind” a lot of it is STILL a big unknown. Maybe I got caught up in the internet hive mind, but I've always adhered to the theory that Harvey’s dad was a dick. Harvey’s dad was a dick and that’s why Harvey is the emotionally repressed headcase that he is today.

In truth, Papa Specter appeared to be a rather swell guy, proud of his lawyer son and supportive of his career aspirations. When Donna broke the news that he’d died of a heart attack while Harvey was out busting Hardman for embezzling funds and cheating on his cancer-ridden wife, she was devastated and Harvey wasn’t doing so hot himself. Finally, we learned that Harvey’s train adventure had little to do with Mike’s mission to contact Monica, or even the effort to thwart Hardman at all—he was just visiting his father’s grave. And while Daddy’s stone was, admittedly, a little on the modest side, the scotch Harvey toasted him with in the cemetery was anything but. Macallan 18: NICE, dude.

None of this, to me, says deadbeat, abusive, sucky dad. So there goes that theory.

Suits: "Rewind"

Furthermore, we learned that Zoe, the jury expert we met last week, resigned from her position at Pearson-Hardman immediately after Harvey’s promotion. She was disappointed that he was working, rather than mourning his father, and wasn’t particularly impressed when he pulled out the standard Harvey Specter Emotional Repression that we know so well. She claimed that the firm ruins men. She didn’t want to watch it do the same thing to Harvey.

So, Harvey lost Zoe to the job and if you think about it, Mike lost Jenny in the flashbacks AND lost Rachel earlier this season to “the job.” Rachel, still harboring some resentment toward Mike for his usage of her to contact Donna last week, which led to that painful questioning by Louis, was further dismayed by Mike’s treatment of Monica. She accused him of becoming more like Harvey and warned him that the evolution wasn’t necessarily a good thing. Do you think, in the long run, that Suits will ultimately boil down to Mike being forced to decide whether or not he really wants the life that Harvey has?

Mike claimed, however, that there were some things he knew before he even met Harvey—in particular, he said he understood the notion of the greater good, of occasionally screwing the little guy, making questionable decisions and sometimes even taking actions that her personally didn’t approve of... simply because he HAD to.

The parallels between Mike and Harvey were particularly pronounced this week with vaguely negative connotations on Mike’s part. Following his trip to the cemetery, Harvey returned to the office with a sort of energy we haven’t seen from him in a while. He told Jessica, firmly but not sternly, “I’m getting Donna back.” THAT’s the Harvey I like to see in the mentoring spot. Welcome back, bro. I missed you.

CASE NOTES

– Mike and Jessica’s “argument” over Monica was pretty sneaky, sis. I still don’t know what to make of Louis’ betrayal though. Legit?

– “Finally, an office big enough for your balls.” Donna, I love you. Don’t ever change.

– Did anyone else think that Jessica’s initial defense of Hardman was a little naive? I mean, sure, he brought her through the ranks, put her name on the door, but c’mon. He’s the founding partner of a highly successful law firm but he needs to embezzle money to pay for his wife’s cancer treatments? I understand insurance, even super awesome one-percenter health insurance might not cover everything, but for God’s sake, Jessica, just THINK for a minute.

Remember "Sucker Punch" just before Harvey hit Tanner? Tanner was making allusions about Harvey and Jessica and then said Harvey had a thing for mommy. Tanner said "I checked into you Harvey, seems that while you were hangin' out with daddy, mommy was out bangin'....." and then Harvey hit him. And there was the episode where Harvey wouldn't let Jessica speak while he was listening to Jazz. He stopped her with one finger and said, "my dad".

This show is the best show. I need it.
1) Mike's an absolute genius and was willfully blind to Trevor. While Jessica is brilliant, it's not impossible that she would defend Daniel when he told her of his wife's illness.

2) I found it particularly interesting how Jessica seemed to grin when Harvey asserted that he was "getting Donna back". Makes me wonder if Jessica fired her just to re-focus Harvey. The same way Mike pissed him off with Louis' dictaphone just before the poker game.

I always feel that Harvey got his bitchy side from his mom.
no way this show gets cancelled
It twas definitely an interesting episode and the flashbacks were fun to watch. How in five years so much can change and yet..not.

Ahhh 2007 I was a not so grumpy, very shy undergrad who kept her head down, did her work and tried to blend in with the woodwork. Good times.

- It was interesting seeing how Harvey got his promotion to Junior Partner from associate status. I can see why Louis would have been annoyed with that, but we all know Harvey would have gotten that postion anyways...and then a few years later he gets senior partner over Louis too...that's gotta burn.Poor Louis and his hilarious braces, comfy couch fetish, and bar hoarder. Anyhoo..I continue to be riveted by the relationship between Harvey and Jessica because they always get each other and they're so much alike. You can't buy the type of loyalty that they have with one another...there was this one time I found it for half price at the Wonderful World of Wit and Other Traits I'd love to Posess (we call it W^3OTIP) but it was a ripoff.Go figure. But I always love the parallels in the relationships and in the flashback it was evident that Daniel was Jessica's Jessica and she was his Harvey. I got her apprehension because of how much she respected him as a mentor. It's not far off from how Harvey feels about her and...I'll say how Donna feels about Harvey because even though Mike is Harvey's mentee he's totally been flaky when it comes to Harvey these days...maybe he spent too much time around Rachel.

- Here is what has been killing me from the beginning. I admit I may find it more frustrating for my own personal reasons but still. Why is everybody all up on Harvey's case? Oy. I mean it would carry more weight that they ride the guy harder than Seabiscuit, if they weren't working at a Corporate Law firm. It doesn't get any more cutthroat than that. Corporate lawyers are known for being career driven, type-A personalities, cutthroat in everything they do...feelings be damned. So when Zoe expressed her disgust and ended up leaving because she didn't like that Harvey threw himself back into his work instead of mourning the loss of his father how she deemed fit I was floored. I get caring about the guy but trying to change who he is regularly is doing no one any favors. It's been like that all season. I love my girl Donna to pieces but her response to Harvey has been equal parts entertaining and frustrating. And everyone getting on his case and saying that half this stuff is his fault when it kinda isn't has been getting to me practically every week.It's like some twisted intervention where they're trying to make him change and become a better person when in all honesty I don't see what's wrong with him as he is. Especially since half the things they criticize him for are the things they kind of need and rely on for them to be a successful firm. Show me a corporate lawyer who doesn't keep his emotions in check, separate emotions from the job and rational and logical arguments, has a sizeable ego, and is uber competitive and I'll tell you that person clearly isn't a corporate lawyer. I'm just saying. It seems like they're putting all of his flaws on display and swinging at the guy with their self righteous stick when half of them have their own issues (which makes them so awesome too...perfect is boring folks)Even Rachel...who really gets to me. When she constantly (because it's frequent now) accuses Mike of being like Harvey, followed by...and that's not a good thing, as if it's an insult, I get annoyed. For one, it would carry more weight if she actually knew Harvey..they barely if ever share screentime together...indifference regarding a person you don't really know is one thing but she almost seems to loathe him and far as we can see she has no reasons for it. And secondly, didn't she break up with Mike in part because she doesn't know him...feels as though she can't really get to know him? So whose to say he wasn't "like Harvey" before he even met Harvey? And why does she toss that about like it's the ultimate insult when it isn't?! And...mini Harvey rant is over.

- I too was under the impression that Harvey's father was some jackass that screwed up his life or something. Like I was totally picturing a fallen musician with a drinking problem with abusive like tendencies...and Harvey being the oldest son who sort of had to step in to take care of his mother and younger brother. Like from his father he got the whole idea that "emotions are weak" because that is so deeply ingrained in him that it just screamed childhood mantra being shouted at him when he was crying in a corner at three years old or something. All these little tidbits along the way supported that theory. Like that was canon for me. So when it was eluded to that it was something different I was pleasantly surprised. I like it though. He respected and loved his father and most likely spent a lifetime trying to make the old man proud. (The reason why one woud continue on with their plan to reach partner status despite finding out news that their father died, zoe. ugh). I loved that side of him they showed, loved the scene with Donna telling him, both of them fighting back tears. And of course the long trek to visit his father, where he dressed up just for him, and did some pretty expensive drinking over his father's modest grave. It was awesome. It had that whole "We did it dad." quality to it that I loved. Great scene and great insight into one of the most complex characters on tv right now.

-Donna is freakin awesome and I just loved her during the flashbacks. It's hard not to love that woman. And a canopener AND thumbtacks?! Series finale we have to see this ritual.

- I loved watching Mom and Dad play little Mikey. As soon as Jessica and Mike started in on that convo in the halls I knew what had happened and it was awesome. Then Harvey and Jessica walking together and finding out she was in on it the whole time. Followed by Harvey throwing in that he was getting Donna back and Jessica having that smirk of hers. Loved it. In reality Donna shouldn't be back...but in this wonderful world of Suits...we can't not have Donna Paulsen at Pearson Hardman. It just isn't right.

-Mike's flashback stuff was fun to watch. It wasn't necessary per se but it was still fun. It reminded me of why I loathe trevor so much and it sucks that he really could have had Jenny...even though I didn't care for her either. Plus we got to see Grandma Ross and she's awesome.

- Ugh Hardman using client money to diddle a coworker while his wife is dying. How grotesque. But so not surprised that Louis went to him. Oh Louis. Little does hapless Louis know that Harvey and Jessica saved his arse from being Hardman's patsy five years ago.

-The wardrobe department of this show deserves a medal or a thousand. To die for. I mean at least if you die from it's awesomeness you'll be casket ready and looking awesome as hell.
"I'm Donna, I know everything."
Very good episode, especially for a flashback episode which if not done right, can be downright boring! Hardman needs to get taken down, I don't care how, but just as long as Jessica and Harvey make it happen. The flashbacks showed me everything I need to know about that SOB Hardman. Good riddance to bad rubbish!!

It was great seeing Donna and Harvey in flashbacks, as well as Mike and even Trevor, despite the backstabbing SOB he was to Mike. Jessica was lookin SMOKIN HOT as usual in her power suits and dresses!!! Damn, Gina Torres is fine!!
Just realized While Louis may want to play in favor of Hardman I'm not sure if that is still the case since Hardman set him up to be the fall guy 5 years ago
so anybody even more suriprised about thumbtacks being part of the ritual between

harvey and donna? first can-opener and now thumbtacks....

this is TRUELY a mystery
The Harvey flashbacks in this episode were awesome. Getting to know more about his past was fun. In "Sucker Punch", Tanner's remark about Harvey's mother lead me to think she was the deadbeat parent and that his father was the better influence...
ok, i have to say this: i have this huuuuuuuge girl crush on donna!! phew... that felt good!
Fringe, saf, please keep both hands on the keyboard.
It's okay. I totally have a girl crush on both Donna and Jessica. There are support meetings every Friday.

Donna, Jessica, and Rachel need their own side show. Webisodes or something aptly titled "Skirts" they should really get on that. Fierceness.
Is there any way this discussion turns into kinky cosplay?
Go on.
The one thing this ep did not clear up for me is the Donna-Harvey love affair. I saw something more than a business relationship with he and Zoe, but not Donna.
I think its pretty clear. Donna and Harvey have never had a physical relationship (Donna admitted it in an earlier episode) though I agree that Donna wants to but is probably worried what will happen if they break up. What they had, NO, HAVE is an emotional affair. Its telling to me that Harvey showed how devastated he was with Donna but not Zoey
IDK. I kind of like that we don't know. As someone else mentioned, the sparks between the two of them are very interested to watch. I enjoyed watching the two of them smiling those goofy smiles at each other without getting any more info.
Louis is a brilliant character. Perfect balance of funny and bad guy, but with a depth that doesn't make him a token character. Stating the obvious, his allegiance to Hardman will end when someone (Mike? Harvey?) points out that Hardman framed him for the embezzling...

Welcome back Donna!
My vote is Hardman framed Louis. Louis even said it himself during the smuck, schmuck bit at the restaurant when Harvey gave him the paperwork to decipher.
This episode made Rachel look even more boring, again with the LSATs! (I'm rolling my eyes!) Dare I say almost want them to get rid of Rachel, she's so flat and lacking of passion! I'm liking Jessica even less, Go Hardman! Boy was Jenny a sight for sore eyes!!!

This episode was great but only two episodes left :( I still dislike flashback episodes.
How anyone says go Hardman is beyond me. Rachel was better when she had competition for Mike...I'll give you that. But Hardman has been...well the kind of person to cheat on his sick wife in every episode he has been in. Only my opinion.
Oh! I'm so thrilled to find another anti-Rachel person. Yea! let's be bff's. We can dish about her all the time.
Signing on as three. I don't get the appeal. I am not sure if it is the actress or the writing, but something smells like Limburger cheese about 98% of the time she is on the screen.
I blame the writing. Rachel is by far the least developed character on the show. We've never really been given any reason to care about her. Her father is a rich lawyer and she wants to be more than a paralegal. That's pretty much her life story thus far. She isn't overtly unlikeable, but if you stacked her up against every (main) character on Suits and ranked them on the "give a shit" scale, she'd come dead last.

The real problem is that she is Mike's love interest. Her character has been defined and consequently diminished by that fact. They have no chemistry, and if we aren't emotionally invested in their relationship, then the question becomes: what the hell is the point of her even being on the show?

The writers need to expand her role. MaryAnn has been asking for episodes about her LSATs. If she became an associate attorney at Pearson and (hopefully not for long) Hardman, then her character might get more interesting. Imagine if Louis takes her on as his associate. That could be kinda fun.

She's absolutely gorgeous, but it would be nice if she was given the opportunity to be more than just a pretty face.
More +
Ha ha. Yes. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. Rachel has become that girl that comes on screen long enough for me to run into the kitchen and grab a snack and return before more interesting people appear on screen. Because of her lack of development and the fact that she does and says things that annoy me when she is on screen. I find myself annoyed by her character...when I bother feeling any sort of way about her character at all.
Welcome to the cabal.
how to solve this then...Maybe Rich Zane patriarch to buy into Pierson and Hardman
I love that Harvey is a man of mystery. It makes him so intriguing, and I kinda hope he ends up being like Ron Swanson from Parks, where the more we know, the more questions we have. I didn't dislike Mike's story this week, but I just don't care that much. Like you said, I know all really want to know about Mike, he is like the anti-Harvey in that he is an open book and doesn't hold anything back.

I'll be interested to see how Harvey gets Donna back because if I were one of the senior partners who just paid 100 grand to save the firm, I wouldn't be too pleased to the see the woman who caused the problem, no matter how fabulous she is.

I don't know if Louis is part of the set up or if he really did betray Jessica. All I can say is that if he did betray her, he got played good by her and will seriously regret it when I'm assuming she wins.
"I'm getting Donna back."

Music to my ears, Harvey. But how?
I'm with Stanking. Donna has all the dirt. It comes down to them getting rid of Hardman. They get rid of Hardman and they don't have to worry about bringing back Donna. No one would oppose it. Not even Jessica.
This may be the key to winning the vote as well. If there is anyone who knows all the dirty laundry for the partners, or how to get it, it would be Donna.
Attention SUITS fans im just getting into this show and im on Season 2 episode2 already and I want to keep watching but I want to know if this show is going to stay on the air. I don't want to invest my time in a show if its just going to get canceled .
So far as I can tell, USA hasn't really cancelled one of their original series since The 4400, and even that ran for 4 seasons.
It's getting better ratings than White Collar, Covert Affairs, Common Law, Necessary Roughness and Royal Pains, and it's getting about the same ratings as Burn Notice. So unless the network is about to cancel six or seven shows, I think we're safe.
Not a chance it'll be canceled. Too popular right now.
Ok thank you YES!!!!
I was leery when I saw the flashback promos, as well, but I never should have doubted you SUITS. Another fantastic episode! And Donna was all kinds of AWESOME!

Whether or not you consider Louis' actions betrayal is moot at this point because their plan counted on him doing exactly what he did (running back to tell Hardman). That's why Mike had the meeting with her in the restaurant where Louis used to stare at Monica every week and told Harvey he'd been having lunch there every Thursday (or was it Tuesday) at 1PM long before her and would still be long after she was gone.

I thought Jessica was a pretty weak about confronting Hardman. I kept waiting for her to say, "That's terrible, but it's still no excuse to embezzle half a million dollars." Instead it was "Have a little compassion, Harvey, his wife is dying." And it turns out, that wasn't even what the money was for! Fortunately, thanks to Donna, the truth came out and helped Jessica save face in the end. But he should have gone to jail after they figured that out.
I'm like you about the flashback episode. I almost skipped it. But, it was really great.
Okay, I'm going to say something that won't be popular. (Please remember, when you are throwing fruits and vegetables, please throw the rotten ones; they hurt less.

I don't like Rachel. Never have, never will. The star-crossed love between her and Mike seems too contrived. I liked Jenny and I hated Mike for the way he treated her. He liked her, but once he met Rachel, he just used her from then on. So, I was glad to see her. And I was very glad to see Donna (the cherry on top of the sundae that is this show). When Harvey said "we made partner", I was thinking it was a shame he didn't remember that. So I was happy when he announced his intentions to get her back. I wonder how easy that will be.

I wasn't surprised at Jessica's naivety in initially believing Hardman. What I was shocked at was hearing her tell Harvey that he might play dirty but she didn't. Wasn't this the same woman who got a classmate drunk and naked in the front of her whole class, and then admitted she did it on purpose?

As for Louis, I was sad when I saw him tell Hardman about Monica. But, I understand. He doesn't appear to have ever been treated with anything other than amused contempt by Harvey. And Jessica is just dismissive of him altogether. I wonder how different he would be if they had just treated him with respect, as an equal, instead of scorning and laughing at him at every opportunity.

Okay, well I'm done. Remember, rotten fruits and vegetables only.

Begin.
yeah same here i never liked Rachel jenny was way more interesting
I like Jenny better than Rachel too. I like her better in almost every way: looks, behavior, compatibility with Mike, compatibility with ME. :) But I don't dislike Rachel. The show certainly needs that character. Who else is going to get drunk with Donna, or take Louis to the Ballet? She's actually very good at those things.

I agree that the Mike and Rachel story isn't working, but I don't think Rachel is the problem. The problem is Mike. The actor is good at playing a guy with an unbelievable ability to remember things, and he can play concerned, stressed out and scared, but I don't think he can pull off the kind of emotions that we need to see to believe that he's in love. I'm not even getting the impression that he's *attracted* to either Rachel or Jenny.
I agree. There couldn't be less chemistry between the two. It's like once they decided they weren't going to date, they just both forgot they were supposed to be so crazy for each other.

I like Rachel as a friend for Donna, but I don't like anything about her character. I don't care that she can't pass the LSATs. There are a lot of people who would kill for a job as good as hers. And I don't care that she and Louis both like the ballet. Now, if they wanted to set up an attraction for Louis and Rachel, that might be interested. Right now she's in with the "popular group". If she started slumming with their perceived court jester, how would that impact her standing with Jessica and the other ones in the clique?

Other than that, I sigh every time she appears on the screen. I know the pace of the show is going to slow way down as we try to muster up feelings of sympathy for her.

*Winds up to throw a bushel of rotten tomatoes* ... Bushel of tomatoes? Is that right?

I guess it doesn't matter, because I have no intention of hurling any metaphorical fruit at you.

Your comment is spot on! Personally, I've never really cared for Rachel as a character and her jittery romance with Mike just might be the most boring aspect of this show. At this point who really cares if they eventually get together?

Now on the other hand, the dynamic Harvey and Donna share is far more compelling. They just have this electricity. A certain unquantifiable chemistry in all their interactions. When they were bantering back and forth in this episode, there were enough sparks flying all around for a fireworks show. I don't know if *it* has ever happened, or will ever happen, but they make a great pair.

And your description of Donna as "the cherry on top of the sundae that is this show" couldn't be more felicitous.

BRAVO!
Donna is 1 of my all time favorite character i like her because she is so strong but i won't like donna and Harvey as a pair I also think that it may ruin her character and i don't want that.
I'm with you. I LOVE Donna and I LOVE Harvey and I love their relationship but I love it as is. What I like about this show is just how little the romantic entanglements matter. The relationships as they are, are far more complex and interesting. I love the ambiguity to them. Especially with Harvey. Like there are enough moments between Harvey and Donna that dance oh so close to being flirty and something more...but honestly you can say the same thing about Harvey and Jessica. Harvey in general has a way with the ladies where everything he says is shrouded in innuendo or something. I don't know. All I do know is..I find the characters and their relationships infinitely more intriguing to watch w/o romance being thrown in. In fact any romance would almost degrade the relationships.
Not ANY romance. I think if Donna were the dominant and Harvey the submissive that would be a totally interesting after-hours relationship for them to have. Also, whips.
You're right. It would be dangerous and difficult to do without adversely affecting both their characters. But their crackling chemistry is undeniable.
Thank you! *handing you a shield and sword. Now get ready, cause I have a feeling we're gonna get hit hard!
This was a pretty good episode. The only reason I don't think it was great is because I have a negative bias towards flashback episodes. They just don't "do it for me." But Suits, at the very least, created this flashback episode at a decent time. So much of the greatness of this season is due to the power struggle at Pearson-Hardman, therefore an episode like this where we get to see the events leading up to the initial Pearson and Spector vs Hardman beef is pretty significant. Also, it was great seeing Donna being Donna again. I love her.

It doesn't seem very dramatic, but I could foresee a situation where if Jessica and Harvey need to woo Louis to their side, they could tell him that Louis was Hardman's patsy -- or the "smuck" as Louis unknowingly called himself.

Like others have stated, the Mike flashbacks with Trevor and Jenny were kinda weak, mostly because Trevor and Jenny are seemingly out of the picture for now, and also because the firm's power struggle is SO much more interesting. It kind of feels like the writers wanted to have a flashback episode just for the Pearson-Hardman plot, but because that would mean Mike wouldn't be involved in any way, they also decided to include flashbacks about him. However, seeing Mike, Trevor, and Jenny all happy with each other was kind of refreshing in a way.
First, when I read the stilettos comment, I had to look up top to see if it was MaryAnn or Price doing the review. Just checking...

What are the chances that Jessica knew where the money was going to lead to all along and was just playing Harvey? She's played everyone else: the judge, Daniel, Mike, Louis. I think it's possible that Jessica Pearson is almost as good an actress as Gina Torres.
I don't know. Last season I thought she was alright. This season, I am not so sure. I do think if she could play all the angle to win, she would and it has been hinted at that she ha some kind of freaky smart like Mike does. But I think she may have an even more tarnished moral compass than Harvey appears to have.
I think Price is way too tall for stilettos.
For me it felt like Mike is becoming more and more like "old" Harvey, being a "stone hard lawyer" - while Harvey himself is getting more and more humanized, caring about people even take a big trip to visit his fathers grave.
I miss Donna... everyone likes donna...
Can you imagine what would happen if somebody came on here and started bashing Donna?

Blood would be spilt.
Had we ever learned that Rachel's dad was a bigtime lawyer at another firm? I don't remember learning that before, it struck me as a big deal to her character.

This was a good episode except it had pacing problems and it was difficult to focus on when it was in the past sometimes. Also, Louis really should have gotten a little more screentime and gravitas for ferretting out the crook.

Trevor still came off like a douche-b, and the stuff with Jenny really did feel like an opportunity to rehash old, uninteresting material. But it gave Mike something to do (even if everything in Mike's life seemed to happen exactly at the same time as Harvey's big stuff).
I don't remember which episodes right now, but I do remember it being said in one or two previous episodes that Rachel's dad was a very wealthy lawyer.

Also, I agree about the switches between past and present. It often created a slight confusion to me as to whether I was watching the past or present -- it wasn't a big problem because I could figure it out after a couple seconds... Just a little bothersome, I guess.
The key was the clothing: in the flashback scenes, Harvey wore a suit like Mike does now: cheap.
I think it was mentioned veeeery fleetingly sometime in season 1 that Rachel's dad was a bigtime lawyer. Maybe the episode where she and Mike posed as a couple to "buy" a swank apartment? I think he brought her along because he didn't know how to evaluate nice things, or something.

It was definitely a little hard to figure out whether we were in the past of present sometimes. I would have liked to see Louis get more credit for his contribution too. I feel for him, man, and I don't entirely fault him for the "bad" things he does based on what we've seen in the past (not just this particular past, but the series as a whole.)

Great episode. Fantastic actually. I think it showed things that were very essential. Like Harvey isn't Harvey without Donna. When he said that "we made partner" he meant it because he wouldn't have gotten there without Donna, she was the one that figured out the affair and that is what put him in the office. And it was well done, as was his fall from grace with the whole playing poker. I don't think he would have done that with Donna there.

The parallels with he and Mike are fantastic. I think it is leading to one of two conclusions. Jessica thinks Harvey is like Hardman, and he is, kind of. Mike is like Harvey, so is eventually Mike going to have to reign in and or kick out Harvey. Or perhaps Mike and Harvey will have to in the future take out Jessica. No proof just speculation of possible future scenarios.

As for Louis. Now granted he isn't my favorite character. But I don't think it is betrayal. Both Jessica and Harvey have treated him kind of poorly the whole season. Which is weird because really he isn't that much different than either of them. He just lacks the charm and Joie de vivre that Harvey and She has. But as we have found out about each of them more, he is actually kind of better. We got to see a darker side to Jessica this season. I think Louis is doing what they have been doing the whole time. Which is looking out for number one. And plus I think he deserves the senior partner title.

Case notes;

Well from what I gathered, Jessica was the protege of Hardman, like harvey was to her and Mike is to Harvey. So I can understand it to a point. You don't want to think ill of your mentor. But the answer came to quickly and it was far too vague to make sense. You have to step away and look at it or be objective like Harvey was.

I am looking forward to the next episode. I don't think Jessica is going to lose to Hardman. Which brings a couple issues. When she wins and when Louis gets Senior Partner. It wraps up the season quite nicely. But what is the lead in to next season? I presume it is going to be again something with Mike. Either Rachel is going to find out or Louis is going to find out. But I wonder what next season is going to bring.
Lmao at Harvey's braces. He is a great character actor. Goofy one minute, then vicious and brilliant the next. That can't be easy to pull off. Kudos, Rick Hoffman!
Louis?
Yeah. Sorry. Louis. He responded to a tweet of mine a couple weeks ago and almost peed on myself. lol.
I thought that we established in the mock trail and other previous episodes that Hervey's mother was the one that screwed him up not his father
Btw: Does anybody know why they said that second season will have 16 episodes and now only 10? Are ratings that bad or what?
Like Mate said, USA will probably split up the season in two. It's kind of what they do. So the second season will technically be 16 episodes long, but I think there'll be a fairly long break between episode 10 and 11-16.
I think they are going to do what a lot of USA's shows do. The season isn't an continuous block but it will save those episodes for later this year or early next year.
Wow, just wow! This episode was beyond BRILLIANT on every angle; sans Mike's history with beyond irritating Trevor...Zzz ! Louis is well, Louis. The trailer for next week itself was too intense. Can't wait. Great job Suits Team. Seriously - WOW !
I don't see anything Louis has ever done as a betrayal. He's a free agent, owing no loyalty to anyone.

Also, you can spend unlimited amounts of money trying to heal a cancer patient. Usually, involving trips to foreign countries with experimental treatments. If Bill Gates' wife got cancer tomorrow, he could definitely run out of money trying to keep her alive, still fail, and still not have tried everything.
i think it's only fair you let your readers decide how your legs look in stilettos?

(please don't ban me for sexual harassment :P)

rachel was absolutely adorable in the flashbacks, all innocent and not really her confident self, all alone taking the hard path when she could have taken the easy path with her fathers firm, nobody, nobody and zane.

however it was absurd that jessica bought the whole hard times plea from hardman. i agree, incredibly naive.
Hey now, we're not that kind of website. :P

I really liked flashback Rachel too! Her comment about "not going to be here long" made me go "aww." I reeeeally hope we find out how she did on that freaking test once all of this Hardman/Jessica blah blah blows over.
Actually I think that Jessica felt about Hardman the same way that Mike feels about Harvey and Harvey about Jessica.. like their mentor and somehow even savior..she didnt want to believe what kind of man he really is..I get it.
My sentiments exactly. I don't think she was naive to give him a chance to come clean at all.