Suits: Oh Donna!

Suits S02E05: "Break Point"

Tell me that didn’t just happen. Tell me we didn’t just lose Donna.

Realistically, of course, it had to be done. The shock we saw Donna slide into at the conclusion of last week’s episode, when she realized that the entire mess revolving around the missing memo was, ultimately, her own fault, gave way to total blinding panic as she struggled to protect Harvey, protect the firm, protect herself, and ultimately, do the right thing.

Unfortunately, destroying the incriminating document was nowhere even close to “doing the right thing.”

Mike was quick to figure it out—interrupting a pensive Donna contemplating the industrial shredder on two different occasions while hoarding a particular file like it was the last Twinkie in a zombie wasteland. Donna’s usual sharp quips fell flat and she clearly and uncharacteristically struggled to take control of the situation. Mike implored her to come clean to Harvey about the lost memo and argued that it was more damaging to everyone if she continued to feign ignorance. She insisted that keeping knowledge of the file from Harvey, and ultimately destroying it, was the only way to protect the firm.

While Donna’s logic was certainly flawed, it wasn’t particularly out of character. While we had never seen Donna incapable of thinking straight prior to this, we’ve seen her on numerous occasions, take charge and skillfully handle various messes around the office on her own. More often than not, it was Harvey who went to Donna for help, rather than the other way around. Donna often took pride in her ability to make problems go away. The idea of turning to Harvey for protection simply didn’t compute. That wasn’t the sort of thing their relationship was based on.

For his part, Harvey wasn’t exactly making things better. While his apologies to the family of the man whose reputation he devastated in his defense of Coastal Motors years earlier were genuine and heartfelt, they couldn’t truly make up for the anguish he had caused the man’s widow during the initial trial. I felt bad for him, repeatedly being rejected, but I also felt for the woman in question. We’ve seen Harvey be harsh and maybe even borderline cruel in court and I can’t imagine that he was in any way gentle with the family during that trial. As the woman said, “My husband died and you made me sit there while you shit on him.” It’s not the sort of thing someone gets over quickly, if ever, especially after being given an opportunity to vindicate their loved one at long last.

After being turned out a second time and finally realizing that a teary “I’m sorry” was not going to dissuade the wronged widow from her pursuit of justice and had, in fact, made things a great deal worse for the firm as a whole as much of the staff wound up with subpoenas to their names, the defeated Harvey admitted to Jessica, “I shouldn’t be a lawyer.”

It was a harsh indictment of himself. The problem isn’t necessarily that Harvey shouldn’t be a lawyer. He’s intelligent and capable, competitive, and at his core, he DOES care about doing the right thing. However, Harvey often seems to fall victim to a blind spot when it comes to his clients and cases. Harvey wants to trust people. Time and again, the idea of trust is often presented by Harvey as the most important part of any relationship he has, both personal and professional. It’s hard to break Harvey’s trust, though when it’s done, that individual is pretty much reduced to outsider status forever—as we’ve seen with his old boss, the DA, Coastal Motors, and Daniel Hardman. Trust was a topic in Harvey and Donna’s argument in the restroom when Mike ultimately ended up spilling the beans about the memo. Trust (or the lack thereof) was the determining factor in rejecting Louis’s peace offering last week. With Harvey, when the trust isn’t there, it REALLY isn’t there.

However, when Harvey truly trusts an individual, he is often willing to do anything for that person. He’s put his career on the line for Mike at least a half-dozen times and he would take down the moon if Jessica asked him to. Harvey is fiercely protective of those whom he trusts, and while that makes him an excellent ally and friend, it often causes him to turn professional matters into personal battles, and it makes it difficult for him to become friends or allies with a party that was previously treated to the full power of his verbal venom.

The problem isn’t that Harvey shouldn’t be a lawyer. It’s that despite being someone so acclimated to working in the gray area, Harvey often can’t help but see other people in terms of black and white, right and wrong, friend and enemy.

At Hardman’s urging, Jessica hired an outside lawyer, Allison, to represent the firm. I think it was the introduction of Allison and her actual motive to represent Pearson-Hardman that may have finally revealed what Daniel Hardman’s real intentions are—not that we didn’t already pretty much know. From the beginning, Allison was quick to condemn Harvey. She was quick to point out that Harvey had been accused of burying evidence in the past and that he had a reputation among their peers for pushing the limits of acceptable courtroom conduct. As Allison’s investigation wore on, it became apparent that though she intended to save Pearson-Hardman, she was determined to do it at the cost of Harvey’s career.

And Hardman was pretty much okay with that, making thinly veiled allusions to getting his old office back.

Donna called the “witch-hunt” for what it was during her disastrous (though somewhat amusing, Star Trek-laden) deposition. However, that brief spark of Awesome Fierce Donna wasn’t enough save her. She tried to tell Harvey about the memo, only to have her last chance interrupted by the deposition proceedings. It ultimately came down to Mike telling Harvey after the latter almost perjured himself by signing an affidavit claiming that the office had never received the memo in question.

The resultant confrontation between Harvey and Donna in the women’s restroom was tense and tragic. Gabriel Macht and Sarah Rafferty were stunning to watch as the two fiercely loyal friends came to verbal blows over Donna’s faulty decision-making and the revelation that she did indeed end up destroying the document. It was the decision that sealed Donna’s fate. In saving Harvey, she sacrificed herself both professionally and personally. The trust issue came up, with allusions to the possible past Donna/Harvey romance that was hinted at earlier this season. Harvey condemned Donna for keeping things from him, which she tearfully countered with, “You keep things from me ALL THE TIME!” They were both hurt so deeply and I got the vibe that the issue with the memo was really just the final straw in a long line of little traumas. It hurt to watch this scene, you guys.

And it hurt to watch Donna carefully pack up her desk and walk out after Jessica fired her, “to spare Harvey” from having to do it himself. He met her at the elevator bay, but neither one of them said a word. Harvey moved first and pressed the call button for Donna, silently accepting her dismissal without a single word of dissent. Whether it was out of deferment to Jessica’s authority after an episode of defying it or a concession to his issues with broken trust, and the fact that Donna had severely broken his, remains to be seen.

Did anyone else have to grab the tissues after credits rolled?

Case Notes

– This was an awful day at the office for everyone, wasn’t it? Poor Louis had to put his cat to sleep. I’m glad Rachel took the time to show him a little kindness.

– The settlement terms from Travis Tanner call for Harvey to be stripped of his partnership and reported to the bar. Do you think it will come to that?

– Speaking of Rachel: Are we EVER going to find out how she did on her LSAT?

– Mike got to handle an emancipation case all on his own. No one cared. His bratty side was showing again.

– Do you think there will be any long-term repercussions for ditching Donna in Pearson-Hardman’s future? What about Harvey? Do you think we’ll get Donna back eventually?

Pearsone Hardman go online!

www.pearsonhardman.com
I am a huge fan of Louis and this episode just made me feel even more for the guy. In the scene with Rachel where he breaks down, a part of me wanted to laugh but I found myself offering condolences through my TV screen. Poor guy. When Rachel passes her LSATs she will be working for Louis; they make a nice duo.
I also think the memo is forged, that would be the only way to get Donna back. And having Daniel on, sucks. Don't like his character and frankly, he doesn't fit on the show. But hey, that's just my opinion. If Jessica can IGNORE the fact that Mike ISN'T a lawyer, this should have been easy. Nope, the document was forged, and planted, but I guess will see what happens in the next few episodes.
I could totally do without that tool of an associate that had to cat-sit for Louis. Did you catch the line in the last episode to Rachel, "I don't see us like that" (referring to him being an actual lawyer and she not quite up there)? Grow a pair, man!

LSAT results take time. Hopefully the outcome will let us finally cheer for her.

My professional opinion is no, we will never see Donna again. You know why? She never apologized. Sure, that realization gave Harvey an idea with the CM case, but she could have at least mouthed the words in the final scene. Then again, I think Harvey and Donna tried dating once, and it didn't work; so maybe she will show up again.
I do not care how the story goes on from here, BUT I WANT DONNA BACK :(
I don't think the memo is genuine.

In the previous episode, the quality control employee for coastal motors stated that she did not write a report for that make of car and instead relayed her concerns to the CEO verbally. If the memo and her 'quality reports' are one of the same, then the document must be a fake - I can't see the CEO sending an email to his colleagues after he asked his employee to keep quiet. Therefore, the question should be how did it get into the Pearson archive and be so convincing, that Donna thought she handled it, and whose idea is it to set the firm up like this?
the only thing i can think of to answer your question is

is hardman in league with tanner or did tanner got ahold of

someone else in the firm?
At this moment, this is the most popular article on the site. Congratulations, MaryAnn.
I banged his best friend's mom so I can vouch for this.
Please come back Donna...

I would marry that woman on the spot.
Does it mean anything that Sarah Rafferty (Donna) is on the list for the next two episodes at IMDB? I like her, so I hope she'll be back!
Good catch! This makes me smile.
OH Donna!! :(
No one told me Julia Gillard was going to be in Suits!
Obscure.
I think it's too easy to assume that Donna and Harvey had a relationship or almost relationship. I think maybe she almost had a relationship with someone else--Louis? Daniel Hardman? Someone else, not Harvey. Maybe Daniel Hardman, since we already know he has a propensity for affairs after the stuff with his wife. Just a thought... And maybe she in the end rejected him, and this sacking of Donna was the long time waiting revenge, keeping along the lines of Hardman planting the "memo" that Donna really didn't see, and that's why she didn't know about it, and was truly shocked at seeing it. Any comments?
I suspect Donna's comments leaned more toward Harvey having/nearly having an affair with Jessica. Donna knows pretty much all of Harvey's secrets and it would make sense that she would give his protege advice on handling a situation she had been witness to during her time as Harvey's girl Friday. Jessica's overblown reactions to Harvey's lackluster efforts to curry favor within the firm, hiding her marriage from Harvey and her squicky comments about "our boy is growing up" when Mike soloed the emancipation case have only added to my suspicions.
i'm not sure but donna almost implied that she and harvey did have relationship....like on personal kind but for some reason both never commited to that so

and i highly doubt that donna would have relationship with donna as affiar
First and foremost my thoughts and prayers go to the victims of the Batman Theatre massacre and their families.

As for the issues at hand, there is a misconception in the USA that has been going on for a very long time that the Maverick attitude is absolutely always and under any possible circumstances the best. The fact of the matter is, and Harvey is maybe learning this to his expense this season, that this is almost never the case in real life. Any lawyer in any firm in the US and no matter their status will get fired on the spot for even a fraction of what in the show he gets away with. But that's the point, this is a TV show and while there is a drive to verisimilitude, it remains what it is. Harvey's navel gazing comes at a heavy price to all those who deal with him and maybe this is the meaning of that look that Mike gave him as Donna left in the elevator.

As for Donna, she could have avoided her firing if she had not panicked and destroyed the document. What I don't get, and as I understand it all happened on the same day, is why have the strips not been found and the page reconstructed and copied.The signs of tear could have been typexed and that would have been it. The dynamic of the show would indicate that maybe this was a way to lure Hartmann into some kind of trap and that Donna was not really fired or that one way or another she would be brought back; but I don't know if she should.

As for Louis I found his whole episode repulsive, but it has to enter some kind of subplot as he had been made sympathetic since the beginning of this season.
The Donna Storyline took the forefront for me. I'm sure she'll be back she's too valuable a character to loose. To answer your question the problem is that if she did it today whose to say she didn't do it before. Apparently, Pearson thinks Harvey can still be trusted.

Even if they recycle the document it can still be discovered and it will be further proof of the burying the document. I wonder if Tanner already has proof of that Donna received the document. I mean if they check the process server they would have learned who received it and the the firm did receive it since Donna signed the document.
Thank you for your comment yutg25, and I agree with you. Another instance that crossed my mind is that she could be used as a trojan horse of some kind if she gets a job in some other firm, even Tanner's firm.I would not put it past Tanner to want to hire or "seduce" Donna into giving him her loyalty.I am also more and more convinced that we have not seen the end of Donna yet, especially as Harvey told Mike that he will "take care of it".
I doubt it she destroyed a document. If Mike had learned about it before Harvey or even Before Jessica maybe...just maybe Mike could have recreated it.

The only way that I can think that Donna can get back is if we found out that Tanner faked that document and had someone put it in Records. We never did learned who typed up the original or how Tanner got a hold of it. For all we know the document was fake.
I disagree completely about Harvey. I do not believe he is capable of the trust you assign him. I think his fatal flaw is his ego-maniacal need to always win and at any cost.

The bit with Louis was nauseating. I don't know why the writers felt the need to go there. There had to be a better way to show this side of Louis and Rachel. (And yes, my best friend is my cat roommate, in case you are wonder where that last comment is born from.)

I wonder if throwing Donna to the wolves was the renegotiation of that term.

The writers were already on my list for ignoring that bit last ep.

Mike. Whatever. Funny how he is not the most interesting character in this show, isn't it?

I am not going to like this show as much without Donna.

I think Louis will play a pivotal role in the whole Pearson vs Hardman fight. I don't know why but I think that. Whichever side Louis swings will determine who will be number 1 thats why this scene was probably made to know that Louis is still appreciated in the Firm by others.

Further with Donna's TEMPORARY leave of absence Rachel has to have someone else to interact with. Since she's not talking to Mike.

I hope Harvey tries to hire temps as his assistant and Harvey gets angst annoyed and finds out how important Donna REALLY REALLY is to him.

Truth is Mike is the second/third least interesting character on the show for me. (I'm only interested on him because of Mike/Rachelle thing) For me the lesser is Harvey and Jessica. Harvey is cool suave and international man of mystery but I would really like to delve more into his character.

DONNA MUST RETURN!
i was away for several days and just got back, my friend texted 'watch suits NOW!'. i shrugged, figured mike ALMOST got found out again, or Harvey pissed off Hardman again, but now having just watched it, all i can say is a very tearful 'oh my freaking God no!'

now let me be honest here, i adore this show, i love Mike, and just can not get enough Donna/Harvey banter, but this show never goes above 'good' for me because mostly it's predictable. Mike will never get found out, Harvey will never get fired (tho there could be a ep where he quits temporarily). Well, Suits, you proved me wrong in the most gut wrenching way possible...

first the bathroom scene tore me to shreds. the writer here has it right, his anger was about his broken trust. Donna probably could've told Harvey Mike was his long lost brother and also an alien, and he would have believed her. i knew he'd be upset, but even i didn't realize how much he trusted her until after he checked the stalls, the first look he sent her made my chest hurt. then Donna trying to explain she only did it for him. and for the record i think that's what he was so angry about. he was hurt and damaged by her lying and destroying evidence sure, but it was the fact that she put herself in that position FOR HIM made him feel responsible. I've giggled and gasped at this show, but this was the first time it has manged to make me cry and feel REAL emotion. This scene was THE scene for the series so far IMHO.

and the ending. OMFG the ending. i stopped crying b/c i was thinking 'okay now that that's out of the way Harvey can fix it' even when Jessica said "Yes I'm firing you" i kept waiting for her to finish like say "Yes, I'm firing you, then in a month we'll hire yah right back!" The actress who plays Donna was a star in this episode b/c her face just fell. I'd swear i could physically hear her heart breaking. Then Harvey's waiting at the elevator and I'm thinking "Finally i was starting to worry there for a moment" then he just pushes the button and she leaves. it took like twenty seconds after the credits rolled for the tears to flow again b/c i just stared like a mental case at the TV, not comprehending what the hell just happened.

well my review turned more into a rant and i apologize, but wow. Suits, you impressed the hell out of me and boy oh boy Thursday will take forever to get there. And the actors who play Harvey and Donna need an award. Her cornered panic then heartbreak had everyone sniffling if not out-right bawling, like me. and his enraged betrayed pain made every man woman and child want to hug him and punch her. and oh yeah, my favorite line

"I'm not gonna fire you. I might KILL YOU, but i won't fire you."...lol epic
- Truly awful. But I'm loving the character depth that is coming through. They aren't just scratchng the surface of each character on the show..they're clawing with finely sharpened talons and it's kind of beautiful to see. So much being revealed and yet a thin veil of mystique still casts over them all, because revelations are through allusions and innuendo. I love it. Tough day indeed. Louis' issues were so trivial and yet so telling that even though I was wrapped up in the other storyline I couldn't help for feel for the poor guy. I loved the development between him and Rachel. I did not like Rachel's tennis ball thing though, and again with the whining about Mike not telling her crap. I'm so over Rachel and that aspect of her it isn't even funny.

- There was a time when I could have easily said "hell no" because this is Suits. But now...I can't definitively answer that question because this is freakin SUITS! I'm trying to avoid the redundancy by saying every week that season two is nothing short of incredible and is kicking all sorts of ass. Their actions are having honest to God consequences and repercussions. They are tackling every single issue head on w/o skirting around it like most shows do or wrapping stuff up in a pretty little bow. So I can't say for sure that Harvey won't be stripped of his partnership etc.

-Maybe. It's clear that Rachel is C List storyline at best and I'm okay with that.

-Interesting case..and that "Kid" who was supposed to be sixteen looked older than me for pete's sake but...it gave for a great line or two.I love when they get all familial with their sarcastic quips. Jessica's "Our baby is growing up" or whatever was awesome.

-They've shown that they aren't afraid to tackle repercussions so yeah. It was great seeing Donna get more screentime and seeing that other side to her. We've seen the ominiscent goddess, with badass secretarial skills, who is Harvey's right hand woman and who takes care of Mike like he's her baby bro but her not being level headed was incredible. And that scene with her and Harvey was fantastic. The first one with them going at it...their chemistry is great and in that moment I was reminded that Gabriel and Sara are honest to goodness best friends and it showed...great chemistry. Also the silent farewell at the elevator. NOthing was said but yet everything was. A great combination of Donna and Jessica keeps Harvey grounded and on a leash, w/o one of him he's going to spiral...and Donna was kind of like his everything at work so it's really going to cost him. No way in hell this show would go on w/o Donna, of that I'm sure of.

-Diane Neal was freakin' AWESOME! Loved her moments with everybody. Great seeing her.

-Gina Torres looks absolutely, positively STUNNING in red!! The wardrobe on this show...fantastic.

-Hardman's motives are becoming clearer and clearer and it's interesting to see.

-I love the deeply thought out reviews on this. I feel like I'm with a kindred spirit with reading them because clearly you analyze like nobody's business! I agree with everything about Harvey. A few of his greatest qualities also happen to be his worse flaws.
"NOthing was said but yet everything was." Completely agree. Sometimes no word is better than thousand words.
Given what was happening with the memo, I completely understood how Mike's first case essentially because a really small issue; the fate of the firm and of Harvey was being dealt with. So, although I'm sure Mike will eventually get his due, it's OK for the show to back-burner it for a while.

Nice that the writers slipped us another layer of Lewis as a lapsed-but-recovering human being. Last week it was doing work for his slaves; this week, it was his cat. Maybe next week, he'll stop to help an elderly lady across the street. It'll be nice to tune in and find out.

Now, to Donna. I hope every TV show writer and producer is watching this series, because this is a TEXTBOOK case on how to take a secondary character - and actor with world-beating talent and chops - and move her(or him, as the case may be) to the center of the show's arc (if only for a while). THIS is why you get talented great secondary characters who can come "off the bench" and shine when the storylines call for it. Sarah Rafferty is this show's Bryce Harper - a player who has killer talent, and who hits homers in EVERY scene she's in!

All you needed to know about Harvey and Donna were contained in three scenes; when she tried to bring him the file with the memo, and was interrupted by Jessica ... Harvey and Donna's confrontation in the restroom ... and then when Donna was fired, packed up, and was met at the elevator by Harvey.

We didn't need any dialogue during that last scene - they could have even done without the short conversation between Rachel and Mike, as well - all we needed was to see everyone's faces. That's it.

Oh, and my opinion? Donna KNEW that Harvey wouldn't change the firm's mind at the elevator - just look at her face as their eyes met.

I also don't think Harvey's completely cut her loose (beside the fact that Donna as played by Sarah Rafferty is one of the top five new characters on TV in the past couple of seasons); Harvey doesn't do that to people he has deep connections with ... and Donna WAS, and IS, still one of those people.

She'll be back .... I'm not quite sure how, or when, but Donna WILL be back at the firm.
I just realize something....

what if Jessica is behind all of this, keeping everyone but donna out of loop?

does that seem far-feteched?
I had a similar thought as well....like maybe there is some gameplan in there somewhere and everything has to fall apart before it comes together. I could see them strategizing together. Just a couple of weeks prior you had Jessica joking about giving the woman a raise. But yeah, if you haven't noticed anytime those two women share the screen together it's usually when they are scheming and/or plotting...(and usually to save Harvey). I'd love that to be the case and it definitely seems feasible to me.
What exactly do you mean?
i'm not sure but something just went off when jessica call hardman into her office....something just telling me jessica has bigger plan and somehow

donna is involved, i dunno how i dunno why i dunno nothing except that

i hate tanner .....a lot
-Awful day for everyone. And a mistake like that is very easy to happen. Very easy. So hard, and Donna is so awesome. And you're right, Donna is used to cleaning things up for Harvey, so that's exactly what she'd do in this case. Except it turned out wrong. Very sad. I'm a big tennis fan, too. I would have loved that signed tennis ball.

-I think there's a chance we'll see him stripped of his partnership. But reporting it to the bar is something that they'll have to fight tooth and nail. They can't afford an investigation into Harvey, because that dovetails straight into one about Mike Ross, and that equals bad.

-Sure, in an episode that's a lot more boring because they have nothing else to cover so they'll use that to try and make the episode interesting (I'm still pretty sure that given that case, the rest of the episode would still be about 5 times as interesting as the LSAT scores stuff).

-He won, yay. I don't mind him doing that from time to time. It's pretty cool to see that, I think.

-The Donna Situation will definitely lead to some stuff regarding the Pearson-Hardman battle for the firm, what, I don't know, but some stuff all the same. Harvey of course will be dragged into the middle of it because that's where he is anyway. As for getting Donna back, while it would KILL me because I LOVE Donna, I would absolutely want USA to go for it and just use this to shut her out completely. Eliminate the character from the show. Because that would truly up the drama for this show. But I feel that given that this is a USA show, they'll find some way to keep the character around and bring her back eventually to play to the crowds. And I will be happy with that because I love Donna. But I would love to see this show have the guts to just fire her character and keep her gone (and apologizes to Miss Rafferty, because that would mean that she's out of a job and she did this one extremely well).
Donna will be back. And no, I don't think completely get rid of her would make the show more DRAMATIC. That is called "OVERDO".
Donna will be back... But I agree with you, I'd love to see this show fire someone and keep her gone. Rachel.
This episode was simply great. The end scene with Donna leaving was emotionaly brutal, I had trouble staying all man like :D I do hope it's not the end of Donna, as she's, at least for me an important character and I can't imagine the show without her. I think that Harvey should have tried harder to save her. It was one of the best if not the best episode of Suits.
After the bathroom scene between Harvey and Donna where was the trust between these two? It feels like Mike and Rachel have started down that same path with that tennis ball. Harvey couldn't fix a light bulb this week. I still believe that memo was a plant in order to split up Donna and Harvey, it doesn't smell right.
I smell a Hardman conspiracy all over this. If he didn't orchestrate the whole thing himself he is complicit. Time will tell but that is my gut feeling
I had a similar feeling last week when this whole thing started. And being in the position he's in, he could easily arrange for this as well as a forged file with Donna's stamp.

He's a tough one to figure out. Is he really trying to be a nice guy, or is he just trying to manipulate them. It could really go either way: dealing with a loved one slowly dying of cancer is quite brutal.
If he's really at the bottom of all this, and this is a way to break up the Jessica/Harvey power duo by first taking Donna out of the equation, then it's truly evil and Machiavellian in its' scope (which means it's PERFECT for a TV show ... or the halls of Congress).

One thing we know for sure: since his return, Daniel Hardman would have had direct access to that case file; and, since he's already stolen firm funds in the past, it's not a leap to throw in forgery of documents to his repertoire as well.

You two might be onto something here.

Let's go get Agent Gibbs (with Ziva David along, too), and put him in the box with Hardman.
what if hardman decide to use tanner as well?
Yup, it's possible he started this whole thing with Tanner in the first place. Either directly working with him, or just passing him information (anonymous call saying "they have proof of flaw")

But it's all speculation at this point
Tissues for outside pain but what about internal ones? It seems suits would never be unable to dazzle people................

like the show infact like all the USA networks show
...even Common Law? C'mon...
I love when a tv-show shows unknown traits of a character to its audience: the story is always dynamic and moves much more fluently (the emotional, less arrogant Harvey of Break Point is a clear example: the scene where he excuses himself is great); 2) they take us away Donna Paulsen (who doesn't love her? She HAS to come back) and they gave us a dramatic end: the moment where Jessica confronts her is chilling and powerful. Kudos to Sarah Rafferty. Anticipation, realization and sorrow in just one look. Surprising and so tender, instead, the scene between Rachel and Louis. The promo doesn't look good but I love drama and angst. Let's hope to find a rat ;-)
I think Donna is coming back. She was specifically fired from Pearson & Hardman. They also made a reference to crossing off the names of the firm when Jessica and Hardman spoke about spilling blood. I think the Firm is in for a name change as Hardman make's his exit. Donna helps make this show. She can't leave.
Pearson & Specter has a nice ring to it. Hell, I wouldn't mind Pearson, Specter & Litt.
That would certainly throw a monkey wrench in the works for the Law Firm of Litt, Nothing, and Nobody.
YES! Clearly that has always been the plan I think. Harvey being Jessica's protege and all.
Harvey said "I shouldn't be *the* lawyer", meaning in the case.
Wow, terrific episode! I definitely felt bad for Donna. I like her a lot. The bathroom argument between her and Harvey was great dramatic television. Even if her and Harvey recover from this, that process is going to take a LONG time!!!
Hope Donna still remains on the show.. just throwing this out there but maybe she and Harvey could begin to date (again?)
Donna !! Nooo.. I definitely felt like grabbing a tissue! Although when Jessica asked Daniel into her office I hoped everything would be resolved by them finding out he planted this thing. On the other hand I'm actually glad how they finished this episode, it was so true.. so tragic and sad though. How is it going to continue now ? without Donna ?
Maybe Tanner had that memo planted!!!.. Remember how Donna said she doesn't remember seeing it??..and Tanner likes to do things underhanded kinda!!!
I admit, I thought that, too. But that would take a mole to get into the file room, find that exact box, forge the date stamp and Donna's initials...naw, too much to pull off.
Umm, finding A box used for a case isn't exactly hard. They're clearly labeled (either with the case number of the name). It didn't matter WHICH box for that case he stuck the file into... so long as it was there.

The problem is going the other way around: wading through the boxes and all of their MANY sheets of paper to find that one piece you care about.

It's like a needle in a hay stack: it's easy to hide the needle, it's hell to find it.
The scenes between Donna and Harvey, in the bathroom and by the elevator were great. The chemistry has to be amazing to pull off such an intense scene in the bathroom that seemed natural, as well as a nonverbal one that spoke volumes. There is no way you can let that slip away in a show that good. I believe, at least I hope, she will be back at the end of the season after the whole Hardman issue is resolved.
It is a little sexist. I suppose I generally find the idea of a woman getting punched, worse than the idea of a man getting punched. Call me old fashioned.
You're old-fasioned and so am I. Gina will come around and if you've seen her on Firefly and Alias you know she hits back - she's a badass...
@emmiegirl

After reading your comments on this forum, I understand why you have "The Brain" as your icon image.

I guess we just have to hope you don't try to take over the world.
As a woman, I for one appreciate many old fashioned mores and do not necessarily think society is better off with so much "equality": women on average work the same hours producing the same or better work yet take home 72% of the pay of their male peers, only now we have to seat ourselves at dinner, carry our own bags and open our own damn doors!

And I agree, there is something pretty distasteful about a man smacking a woman in the mouth. But if Rachel had come around that corner and socked Jessica in the kisser and given her the come-to-Jesus dressing down that woman needs to hear, well that might have taken some of the sting out having to watch Donna go through that.
I don't really believe Donna is going to be gone for very long. The writers aren't stupid and know they have a special character in her and would be idiots to just let her go. Instead, I feel like this situation gives her a great story arc for her to grow and somehow become more loveable than she already is.

I was really happy with Rachel's story this week. It showed her as an actual person and not just a sex object. Plus, she managed to bring out a better side in Louis. I wish the writers would develop her a little bit more, but then again I am just fine with them focusing more screen time on Harvey, Mike, Jessica, and Donna.
I totally agree. Donna adds so much flavor to the show. Being whitty, charming, stunningly gorgeous, sassy, cunning, bold, confident, and mysterious makes Donna a key character on the show and support for handling all that Harvey throws his secretary's way. Sarah Rafferty Nails playing Donna. I couldn't imagine a better actress for the part. The fact that she and Gabriel Macht had history playing off each other on screen makes the two a dynamic duo that would be a serious mistake to tamper with. Donna, we love you and want you back.. next episode. I can't imagine the show without you!
Love the Donna adjectives! Spot on!
PS: Mike and Rachel need to revisit their relationship status. Rachel can So handle Mike's dirty little secret - yet I was wondering when/if she'd show some passive aggression to not getting the privilege of knowing. I'd really like to see Mike shine a bit more. Really bummed he became a supporting role instead of a main character the past two episodes.
Screen time wise, he is still the main character.
The show wouldn't be the same without Donna. The way the four of the talk to one another play right with Donna. I may stop watching the show if she doesn't return somehow. They got rid of the wrong person. Sorry
No tissue but hate to see a real babe go!

She rates with Maggie Q and Grace Park as one of the hottest on TV
Donna Donna Donna. say it ain't so! one of the best characters on the show.. I hope she comes back somehow.. when she specifically said it was her "stamp" not signature then I immediately thought "somebody might've framed her!" and if that had been the case I'm sure she'd be rehired.. but I don't see how they can get around the whole destroying evidence thing
You know how when you see a car or a train wreck and its unspeakably horrible but you just can't look away?

Well, this was NOTHING like that!

I couldn't watch. I couldn't. A TV show has no right to make me this emotional. Right before Jessica's conversation with Donna I paused my totally legal download and had to take a break. I went into my liquor cabinet, poured myself a stiff drink, downed it, and proceeded to devour half a canister of Pringles (my ultimate comfort food). But no matter how many deliciously curved chips I ate, the pain wasn't going away. I think it's because deep down I knew what was coming. I had known it ever since we saw Donna holding the incriminating memo at the end of the last episode. I didn't want to admit it to myself, but the little man inside my head was saying "Dude, I know you don't want to hear this, but Donna might get fired. SOB!" (The little man inside my head is just as emotional as me.)

So when I finally collected myself and finished the episode I was able to keep it together ... barely. The elevator scene almost broke me. Harvey stoically standing there and not saying a word, then pressing the "down" button. The look on Donna's face cut the deepest. I couldn't help but internally scream "Not Donna! Anybody but Donna!"

Now the question becomes how long this will last. One episode? Two? Or *choke* more?! I don't know how long I can take a Donna-less Pearson and Hardman. Harvey is my favorite character (duh) but Donna comes in at a very close second. I just don't know what can bring her back. The only way I can see it, like other have already written, is she was set up and this whole scandal was orchestrated by Hardman to oust Harvey. He has shown his true colors and I certainly wouldn't put it past him. He hired Allison to eliminate Harvey, not Donna. So the whole situation is somewhat suspect.

I truly believe Harvey won't take this lying down. He's lost this battle but I don't think Harvey is done fighting for Donna. They have a very complicated past. We've had hints that it has been more than a professional relationship. Now that she's no longer under his employ will there be any romantic developments between them. Really, I don't care how the writers rationalize it, just bring her back. Any way that they can.

Sidenotes:

- Louis is becoming harder and harder to dislike. Almost all of us know the pain of losing a pet. It hurts. Bad. Kudos to the writers for making Louis a three-dimensional character that can elicit different reactions from the audience.

- Once again Rachel wasn't given much significant screen time, but the gesture to Louis was a really nice touch to the kindness of her character.

- What's going on with Harold? Is he just simple comedic relief or is there a more meaningful reason for showing him getting constantly shit on?

- It's amazing how Suits can make me hate and love an episode at the same time. I hated the outcome with Donna, but any show that can evoke such an emotional reaction is a testament to how well it is written. Suits is easily one of the best shows on television any time of the year.
I really like Harold, awkward but cute.
I also don't like my emotions yanked like this. I am far more into intellectual puzzles (that may be equally as distressing), than 'my cat died' chit. I seriously do not like that.
You always make me laugh hysterically Fringe! :)

I was so like you. My eyes had to be as big as saucers, I chewed my nails down to nubs and I'm not even a nail biter and I was balled up on the living room floor muttering Donna's name by the end of the episode. And then, being the masochist that I am, I started it all over again. P.S. it does not get any less nerve wracking the second time around.
Oh c'mon guys, she's totally not gone. We've gotten out of bigger jams than this one on TV. I once saw Batman drop 25 stories before being saved by landing on a window washer's platform. Of course when he landed he was doing at least a hundred and twenty but he has strong bones and eat's right so what the hell. She's too good to go, you said it yourselves...
I knew it was coming and had to be done, but wow, it was still a huge kick in the gut to hear Jessica fire Donna. I'm sure they'll find a way to bring her back soon enough, though. If it were me, I'd advise Donna to start a legal assistant / exec secretary / paralegal firm and outsource herself to Pearson-Hardman at 150% of her previous salary. Just like that, she's back, but technically not an employee of PH.
There ya go . That's the way to think, I vote yes...
Brilliant, what a very clever work around. Incorporate and come in as a contractor. Next time I need creative career advice I am checking in with you.
Did anyone else totally want to punch Jessica Pearson in the mouth during the Donna termination scene? What a freakin' hypocrite! MaryAnn, you were spot on calling out the d-baggery this season, and Jessica Pearson is leading that charge with all 8 cylinders. I am so disappointed - last season Jessica was the epitome of the accomplished professional woman, head of her own top law firm, smart, savvy and making it look good in couture, and this season she is emotional, disorganized, inconsistent and just plain reckless.

Daniel Hardman doesn't need Travis Tanner to bring down team Pearson-Specter, he just needs to wait for Jessica Pearson to open her trap. The affidavit scene in Harvey's office when she was joking about Mike not being a lawyer was just 50 shades of WRONG - Mike's face was precious, he was so weireded out by her comments. We've already seen Louis leave his little voice recorder in Harvey's office - it is only a matter of time before these idiots sink their own ship.
I like Jessica but not her die hard fan. She just did what she has to do. No matter what, Donna's behavior is wrong...... both on professional level and personal level.
I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a die hard Jessica fan. And a Die Hard Gina Torres fan...but I haven't had the problems that some people have had with her (or Harvey's) character this season. And thinking from the business perspective she had no choice but to fire Donna. If Donna didn't shred the evidence I have no doubt she'd still be there, but she did...even after Mike pretty much told her not to. She didn't want to fire Donna but she had to, and if came down to choosing not just Donna the not as close legal secretary and Harvey the close friend and one of her best lawyers...on a personal and professional front she'll always choose Harvey. But Gah it's killing me that Donna got the boot like that! I love my fierce female characters and two of the best ones on the show (sorry Rachel) having a scene that ends with one of them fired and the other doing the firing is killing me.
I completely agree, from a business perspective, as managing partner Jessica had no choice but to terminate Donna, but the damage that can be done to the firm when the truth about Mike comes to light will actually hurt the firm, and Jessica's rep as managing partner, more than keeping on a legal secretary that is guilty of evidence tampering, yet she not only allows that situation to continue, she makes jokes about it in the office! My beef with her behavior stems from her ambivalence towards rules and equivocation in enforcing them. If she can break the rules for Mike, then why couldn't she, the brilliant lawyer, come up with a plausible argument for not terminating Donna?
I'm a guy and I don't condone the hitting of women. But in that moment, I totally wanted to punch Jessica in her beautifully molded mouth!
Lol!!
This season is soooooo good, just like Falling Skies season 2, among others,
I didn't cry, both because I'm not a girl, and because I don't believe Donna will be gone for any amount of time. I even briefly entertained the idea that Harvey would do the only sensible thing and date her, but that won't happen because it wouldn't result in enough screen time for her.
1) Louis is really growing on me as the person you hate to love (or the other way around? no idea, but i'm actually starting to like him.)

2) too much to ask for as Harvey was genuinely out of the loop on the case of the missing document. And tanner in an ass.

3) Rachel / Mike fan here and she will have passed it i think.

4) Tough case though the kid wanted to go pro and whe shouldn't he?

5) I want Donna back and i think everyone from the office does; Mike, Harvey, Rachel and even Louis. she was a great character and sarah rafferty played her to perfection, i just hoped that wasn't her last episode.
they cared about the almost perjured Harvey while allowing a pretend lawyer to go with the emancipation case to court. geese.

never has Harvey been so indecisive, humanly confused and out of his element.

Donna come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which is weird. Because technically Mike is a lawyer. He passed the bar which makes him eligible to practice law in the state of New York. He just lied about going to Harvard and you don't need to go to law school to be a lawyer. They just tell you what books to read and teach you how to make an argument.
Did he ever pass the bar under his own name?
I do not think he did pass under his own name; in the state of New York one must graduate from an accredited law school or qualify as "reading the law" with at least 1 year of law school and apply for special consideration of such in order to be eligible to sit for the bar exam. Some US States do not have the law school diploma requirement but NY does.

@Mate - Technically, Mike is guilty of a half dozen felonies and misdemeanors, including fraud, perjury and impersonating an officer of the court, but technically, Mike is definitely not a lawyer. Regardless of his ability to pass a test and regurgitate case law, he would not be able to meet the Character and Fitness requirements in addition to failing to meet the education requirements for NY.

And I know several dozen lawyers that would dispute your assertion regarding the purpose and merit of law school, but I submit the common sense argument - if you were in trouble and needed a lawyer, would you really be cool with some guy who just read some books and took a test, or would you want the guy that spent 3 years proving he had the goods, and he passed the test?
More +
I think that 1 year requirement is actually new. I don't believe that requirement existed when this show started.

To flip your common sense argument on its head, do you want a lawyer who can learn things by reading them in his spare time or one who takes 3 years of school to learn the exact same things? I'll take the first guy, because he sounds about 10 times smarter. The second guy sounds a bit dim. Common sense says you want the smarter lawyer.
I believe he did. In the first episode he told Harvey he did it to Win a bet.
Are you familiar with the term, "Lawyered?"
Once again, they've done an amazing job of making Louis sympathetic. While Harvey is still coming off as a d-bag, the point of him freaking out on Donna about the memo is that it'd have been better if she HADN'T destroyed it (because then it doesn't look like he was trying to bury it).
I love this show so much, it has quickly risen to the top of my "cannot miss" list. I honestly thought that Harvey would be demoted and reported in this episode, and I never guessed Donna would be fired. Also, for the first time I really felt sorry for Louis. Part of me thinks that he may actually be hyper-sensitive and that's why he acts the way his does. Lastly, I have to think that Donna will back somehow, I refuse to believe that she's done for good.
Donna.... I'm dying inside.
Aw, what a sad episode. Work and friend relationships being broken, sons separating from fathers, cats dying, hot girls dissing Twinkies... Jeez, way to bum me out, Suits.

I don't think Donna will be gone for long. It's the same with most shows, but it seems especially true of shows on USA Network that regular cast members don't die off (literally and metaphorically). They'll figure out a way for her to be back, whether it's with actions that she takes herself or by Jessica/Harvey/Mike/Rachel.
This show is goooooood!!