Suits: Poker Face

Suits S02E06: "All In"

A week later, how was Harvey handling Donna’s absence? About as well as you’d expect, maybe even marginally better than that. I was expecting more drunken loss of control, honestly, especially considering the picture that last week’s promo for “All In” tried to paint. It tried so hard, didn’t it? I was actually worried—not about Harvey, but about Suits itself. This season has been awesome episode after awesome episode, week after week, and frankly, I thought the promo for “All In” looked kind of ridiculous. I thought that maybe the ball had finally been dropped.

I was wrong. While “All In” didn’t quite stand up to the epic goodness that preceded it, it wasn’t the hour of crazy that the promo led me to fear that it would be either.

We opened with Harvey answering—and immediately hanging up—his own phone, Donna’s desk still empty and sad... though it was soon to be manned by an overeager temp, at Jessica’s urging. “You haven’t replaced Donna,” Jessica pointed out later, when she and Harvey were having one of their Fine/Not Fine conversations. Harvey succinctly explained that Donna is irreplaceable. Aww.

A phone call from an old friend had Harvey showing up on Mike’s door in the middle of the night, dressed in his best and destined for Atlantic City. I wonder if any of the writers have actually BEEN to Atlantic City? I have. I’ve been there many times. I grew up an hour away from “America’s Favorite Playground” and let me assure you, it is not that classy. It’s more like a festering cesspool covered with glitter. Wipe the thin veneer of shiny away (read: walk across the street from your neon palace of a casino) and you’re going to need a pretty big can of mace.

Anyway, Mike WOULD get banned from a casino for counting cards.

It turned out that Harvey was on a rescue mission: His friend Keith, after five years on the no-gambling-no-drinking wagon, had taken a bit of a fall and in his drunken haze, lost his company in a poker game. What Harvey thought would be a simple matter of pointing out that contracts written by drunk men on cocktail napkins typically don’t hold up in legal proceedings turned into a legitimate court battle when Thomas Walsh, the new owner of Keith’s green energy company, revealed that drunk though Keith may have been when drafting the contract, he still managed to include the three things that make a contract legal: an offer, an acceptance, and a consideration. With those three things, a contract becomes binding, even if it’s scribbled on a scrap of paper by an inebriated individual. Methinks somebody may want to, um, take a hard look at that law and fix it. Just a thought.

Meanwhile, Rachel and Louis teamed up for one of the most awkward and amazing partnerships on Suits to date. After bumping into each other at the New York City Ballet, the duo discovered their mutual appreciation for the art, and when Louis took on a case from Sergei, the master of the ballet (and one of Louis’s childhood idols), he turned to Rachel to do the “associate work” for the case after hapless Harold proved to be useless. Sometimes I wonder how Harold keeps his job.

Rachel was thrilled to be given work above her usual station and quickly discovered all sorts of flaws in the ballet’s rehearsal space that pointed to neglect from the landlord. When confronted by the allegations, the landlord in turn pointed out that the funds the ballet was obligated to pay him for maintenance of the space hadn’t been paid in over a year. Sergei was embezzling the funds and Louis was crushed.

Luckily, Rachel was there to remind him that he was Louis. He was mean. When people screwed him over, he screwed them back.

I thought that Rachel and Louis made a great team and I actually found their storyline to be more interesting than Harvey’s poker-themed meltdown (blasphemy, I know). It was great to see Rachel being awesome and brainy and content without Mike and I’m still holding out for the results of her law school exam. Did we forget about it, writers? Here’s a friendly refresher: Remember that time Rachel Zane took her law school entrance exam? We’re all sitting here patiently waiting for the results, but this is getting ridiculous.

I found myself entertaining delusions of the fabulous Rachel/Louis team-up before Mike showed up and ruined the delicate fantasy land I had constructed for myself in the span of 42 minutes. He applauded Rachel being awesome, but warned her that BFF time with Louis Litt never lasts. SHUT UP, MIKE.

Sadly, however, Mike is probably right. Rachel borrowed Louis’s Dictaphone and Mike replayed some of the greatest hits of Louis Litt’s headspace for laughs... and then he stumbled upon the recorded conversation between himself and Harvey about the Coastal Motors situation. He realized that Louis had deliberately left the recorder in Harvey’s office and later, sold them out to Hardman. Mike, in turn, handed the damning evidence over to Harvey who, fresh off of his poker victory and a tongue-lashing from Jessica, went full Godfather on Louis with the old, “There will come a time when I will call upon you to perform a service...” spiel, capping it off with “You owe me.”

As Mike pointed out earlier in this episode, who DOESN’T “owe” Harvey?

Whatever, while I lament the end of the brief joy that was Rachel and Louis (since Louis will surely work out how Harvey got his hands on the Dictaphone and cast Rachel back down into paralegal hell), I’m pretty excited to find out when and how Harvey ends up calling in his chip. You know it’s going to be awesome.

Case Notes

– I miss Donna. When do we get to have Donna back?

– No Hardman this episode either. It was kind of weird.

– I loved Harvey’s judgment of Mike’s apartment. “Nice panda.” “It was a grandma Christmas thing.” Those are the BEST things.

– I know that one of my favorite things to do is rage about Rachel’s sole existence relying on being a love interest but—and this freaks me out—I think I’d be okay with Rachel and Louis as a thing. Maybe. "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contract myself." —Name the poet for an internet cupcake.

– I don’t know how I feel about Jessica’s storyline this week. I get that we were supposed to see how ruthless and tough she is, but I fail to see anything admirable about getting a classmate blackout drunk and then leaving her naked and confused in a classroom. It would have been a disturbing revelation had Jessica left the explanation at “COLLEGE. LOL.” But the fact that she actually did it to land herself a job makes it worse. I love me some Gina Torres, but I’m having a hard time loving me some Jessica Pearson this season. Harvey peeing in Louis’s office and blaming his cat, however, is always acceptable.

I liked the episode fine but I really CAN'T STAND the Harold character. I just HATE when caricatures are added to shows. It lowers the overall quality.
I asked recently about the fantasy of a Suits/Franklin & Bash crossover. When watching the latest F&B episode, in walks guest star David Costabile (Daniel Hardman). Unfortunately, he's playing another, non-Suits related role, but at first view I inhaled so hard I nearly passed out. I still wanna see Donna in a scene with Pindar.
Louis is better competition than the clown. I don't know what troubles me more Louis and Rachel having chemistry or the fact I liked that it. What the TV show displays a hash tag #SaveDonna I know she's not going anywhere, just taking the episode off ;)
The episode was okay. As much as I enjoyed the poker and ballet storylines, I'd have been happier if any part of the episode involved Donna or Hardman.

I would NOT be content or happy or okay with Rachel + Louis. I feel like throwing up just thinking about it. For some reason, which is probably 99% due to Louis, I'd find it very creepy.

The show seems to be painting Jessica as more of an asshole every episode. For a second or two, I thought Jessica just told the judge what she wanted to hear, and that she really didn't know that they were fighting for the same job. But I'll take it at face value and assume that embarra-toging her was Jessica's intention. Jessica, even young, doesn't seem like the type to be ignorant or stupid enough to not know they were both competing for a job. Which, despite being young, makes her an ass.
I must be the only one who thought Jessica only said she sabotaged the judge in college because it was the only way she could get her to back down, that she could never convince her that she didn't do as sabotage so she gave the judge what she wanted to get her to back off?

No, that's a distinct possibility; Jessica could pull that one off. (I wondered about that, deep in the back of my mind.) And Jessica would look slightly better in that light, only damaging her reputation before a person who couldn't like her less anyway in order to help the firm (and Harvey). But if that's the case, then Jessica still has nobody in her life who really sees her as she is, and people don't last long that way.
Walt Whitman?
I'm not surprised about Jessica's "prank" in college. A cutthroat competition between wannabe lawyers? It IS a shark tank, after all. But what worries me is that Jessica lied about it to Harvey, to the judge, heck even to herself. If she's losing the ability to see what the truth is, then she's approaching the point where she WON'T be the person to lead the firm.

I love me some Gina Torres too (just downloaded some Hercules episodes to see her - she fights off attackers by wielding ELECTRIC EELS! HA!) but yeah, Jessica isn't looking too loveable. And blaming the cat? I had to pause the episode until I quit laughing. :D
Nebula. Awesome.
I don't know about Louis + Rachel.

It's not just that the thought makes me uncomfortable, but the fact that she and Mike found the message on Louis's dictaphone can't be good for the 'thing' she and Louis might have.
Blaming the dead cat is acceptable?
What's objectionable? You got some kind of honor system where the cat has to be respected because it died? Or it can't "defend" itself? LOL. The point is that Harvey peed on Louis' floor and got away with it. The status of the cat really isn't relevant.
he didn't blame the dead cat. he blamed the alive cat. Which then died. much later
Another great episode. I fear redundancy if I go on saying the typical spiel about why Suits has been awesome this season.

- Who doesn't. She's Donna. Donna is the heart of the show...without it's just weird. But I love her absence too. It's...complicated.

- I didn't miss Hardman. I mean I don't trust the guy as far as I can throw him and I don't like him per se but I love the conflict his character brings to the show.

- I love seeing these men enter each other's spaces more...it just reflects how deep the relationships on this show have gotten. Coming into the place Mike is slumming it at with a Tux...classic. Even his "Are you watching Different Strokes?" Love those two.

- I KNOW! I like this...this...THING that Louis and Rachel have. It's fun to watch and they somehow work. Who'd have thought it after last season when he fired her and she went all badass on him or whatever that they'd make such an awesome pair. Rachel needs to be able to share the screen and operate with people who aren't Mike and Louis needs to be seen as the competent badass that he is when he isn't being the butt of Harvey/Mike/Jessica's jokes. I hope they work together more in the future...even though the recorder incident may interfere with that. But this also confirms for me that Rachel is every bit as much of a wild card as Louis...so she never deserved to know things.

- This much is redundant. I love Gina Torres. I love Jessica Pearson. I love that we are getting to see more of Jessica Pearson. I love that Jessica and Harvey are so similar...which further makes their relationship one of the most intriguing ones on the show. I got that Jessica was/is like a female Harvey...maybe that's why she invested in him the way that she did. Sometimes I think the gender things affects the perception. Guys doing the same thing...all in good fun and what guys do...girls do it and it becomes...I don't know. I didn't think twice about what she did back in college. Because it was back in college. (Though I wouldn't do anything like that). I found it more disturbing that the judge had such difficulties keeping what happen in college at college. She's a judge...her job is to not let that interfere with the case. It was as irritating as the judge that accused Harvey of sleeping with his wife.

I liked the poker case. I was so into the contractual dispute...and as much as I loathed it...darn it if the opponents didn't have a shockingly reasonable argument. I also love Harvey on edge...he doesn't typically get flustered or let things ruffle his feathers so when they do...it's interesting to see. He requires the two ladies of his life to tame him...and one of them isn't there to do it. He's unhinged. I actually felt for Louis when Harvey went all Godfather on him like that. But I can't say I didn't like it.
I agree, I found it much worse that a judge would be so petty. Getting revenge on Jessica is one thing, but destroying a company and peoples reputations seemed a bit much, and unbelievably unprofessional.
With the brief glimpses of humanity we've seen from Louis lately, it wouldn't shock me if he's on Team Jessica by season's end. Daniel Hardman, prepare to get LITT UP!
My fav part was Jessica trying to grovel before her old classmate. She was SO insincere, you know it was killing her LOL
Cat piss and human piss smell nothing alike.
Well, there was that time I ate a lot of tuna...
Lol I almost peed myself!
I was having the same freaky feeling about Rachel and Louis! (haha, that happens to be one of my favorite poems! Song of Myself by Walt Whitman!)
I didn't like this episode much. I enjoyed the Louis+Rachel interaction, but not much else. The poker stuff was done really badly. Harvey is much too smart to do something as incredibly dumb as playing heads-up no limit hold'em for millions of dollars of his client's money. And don't get me started on that preflop all-in with 82o.

The most disappointing moment was however when Rachel let Mike walk off with Louis's dictaphone. She shouldn't have let Mike listen to the recordings in the first place, but I can sort of understand that she did. The part I really have a problem with is that she didn't even tell Louis what just happened. She seems to be enjoying her new professional relationship / friendship with Louis, but that should be over now, because what she did was a serious betrayal of his trust.

It's not just Rachel's behavior that's wrong here. It's also Mike's, because he must know that he's getting Rachel into trouble. Isn't he supposed to care about her?

I don't really know what to think of all this yet, because we still haven't seen Louis's reaction.

It also seems pretty weird that Louis would hand it over the dictaphone to her without deleting the embarassing and/or incriminating stuff on it. (Did Rachel take it without his permission? Did I miss that part?)
As much as I knew it was necessary for the course of the show, I didn't like how easily Rachel just let Mike take Louis' dictaphone either. Not only did she let him listen to it...listen to it longer than necessary, but she let him actually take it with him. Unprofessional.
Totally agree. I guess being a paralegal or an associate is far different than being an executive assistant. You NEVER betray your boss(es) confidence like that unless they are breaking some serious laws. What Louis did, albeit a low blow, was self preservation. What Rachel did was too stupid for words.

But I also am still struggling with Donna destroying evidence. That was far more stupid.
I like that they haven't written Louis as an out and out bad guy. He gets funnier with every episode now. Still feel sorry for him that he lost his cat...

However, Rachel and Louis? NO.
I really liked this episode. I really enjoyed Harvey and Jessica's conversation at the end. It summed up a lot in a very short period of time, and made Harvey seem like a mortal human being. I also loved Harvey's confrontation with Louis. All I could think was that he just went Walter White all over him, and that is not good for Mr. Litt.

But I loved the Louis/Rachel story. I don't get ballet but watching them work together on something they are so passionate about was really fun. Also, I am not dying to know Rachel's test results, I took the SATs a few years ago and it take a little while for the results to come. It would be unrealistic if it happened immediately, so I doubt the writers forgot about it.

And yes, Harvey peeing in Louis's office is something that made me laugh.
I'm with Harold... Ballet makes no sense to me either...

And gosh what an amazing episode... there is not fluff in Suits... every scene is awesome with supersharp dialogue delivered like bullets... Just the opening scene with Harvey and Mike bickering like an old couple.... Awesome...

Even the Rachel+Louis+Ballet story which on paper sounds like a snoozefest was riveting... Louis and his free seat were hilarious.... So funny....
I thought it was a pretty good episode. I think the next episode we might get more in depth in to the Donna/Harvey relationship, how it came about etc. I would love for them to do a back in time fade out with Mike as Harvey and Rachel as Donna. OR Harvey playing a younger version of himself along with Donna and throw in Louis just for fun. Anywho, back to the episode. I think Rachel and Louis was pretty solid. I am not sure about them coupling up because Louis needs to go for that Harvard recruiting chick, he is the type of person that will go for what he perceives as his equal and that woman would share a lot of characteristics that he has. So it is good to see them team up. I don't know about anything else.

Harvey, I think was cold blooded. The man has ice in his veins and he kind of showed what I think is going to be the conclusion of all of this mess. And that is. While people like Mike can know everything. Harvey knows people. He doesn't win because he is the smartest, he wins because he knows people and is invariably correct about them. He exemplified this with the first hand in the poker game.

As for Jessica. I loved her story this episode. Here we are all along this show and we think that Jessica is the paragon of justice and professionalism. That tries to reign in Harvey's eccentricities and gray area way he goes about practicing the law. And reign in Louis' kind of dickishness. But in reality she is worse than both of them, they do that because of who they are. She does it because she wants to get a head. And with that both of them should be careful. I liked getting this insight into Jessica. She is ruthless and will do things that Harvey wouldn't do. I think it expands her role and opens up a whole bunch of new stories for her.

Donna is missed. She will be back next episode.

I thought it was weird that Hardman wasn't in this one as well. He would have added to Harvey story, especially with the playing poker for the company.

I think Rachel is going to be integral to the story. She might not be a Donna like character. If this show goes on long enough she could very well be another Jessica.

But they need to bring back Donna. And they need to get on making a Donna and Rachel bar webisodes. Because that was too fun.

I think I heard that they were supposed to go back five years for one of the episodes. Like a flashback or something..back to when Hardman was managing partner and Harvey wasn't senior partner etc.

Yeah...kinda like that saying "you can't be old and wise without first being young and stupid". I think Jessica being the moral police between Harvey and Louis etc. works because she also has had experience being on the other side. To me it carries more merit...she's just as human and flawed as they are...so her words actually matter. Plus she is like this great walking contradiction. She can be so regal and professional and then so down to earth and casual...and you see both sides more so this year than last year but it's kinda cool.
very true. I do like Jessica's increased role this season.
Harold is still there because he is related to some very influential and/or very very wealthy has asked them to give him a sinecure.

more comments later.
Loved this episode... So many good points.... Hervey was a total bamf in this episode. Owning the poker player. " Your right i do got you beat, but these sh*tty cards have nothing to do with it " AWESOME. Not to mention the slow walk into Louis office... watching Louis crumble .Lol If there ever was a BAMF award Harvey gets it..Also he peed in Louis office ha

Top of the Mornin to ya mate want tea and crompets!!

Excuse me Mrs Zane you just got LIT up!!! ..................LOL Louis FTW

Miss Radimgrl What was your favorite Louis line??
Litt up. I was going around saying that for I don't know how long afterwards!LOL!