Suits' Season 2 Premiere: Loose Lips Sink Ships

Suits S02E01: “She Knows”

The last time we hung out with Mike and Harvey, Mike’s sucky friend Trevor (henceforth known exclusively as “Sucky Friend Trevor”) had just spilled the beans to Jessica Pearson about Mike’s pretend Harvard pedigree. Oops.

Pretend friends, pretend degree—is there anything in your life that’s real, Mike Ross?

In “She Knows,” Suits' much-anticipated Season 2 premiere, we learned that Jessica did her due diligence following the revelation and looked into Mike’s Harvard credentials. They checked out thanks to Lola Jensen’s savvy hacking kills back in last season’s “Identity Crisis.” Unfortunately for Mike—and, by extension, Harvey—Jessica was more thorough in her investigation than Mike and Lola were in their fraudulent creation of Mike’s highly educated alter-ego. His Harvard Law background checked out, but beyond that, Jessica failed to find any record whatsoever of a Mike Ross attaining any other degree anywhere else. This proved problematic, since one typically needs to earn a bachelors degree before entering law school. Jessica confronted Harvey and demanded that he fire Mike. She also informed Harvey that if she were to discover that Harvey knew about Mike’s lack of qualifications and hired him anyway, she’d hand him a pink slip, too.

So Harvey was prepared to fire Mike. He certainly didn’t want to and he even felt bad about it, but like Harvey has repeatedly said (and oh, so desperately wants everyone to believe), “I care about me.” Donna called him on his conflicted feelings because Donna knows all. For example, did you know that Harvey rarely wears lavender to the office? And when he DOES, it’s typically a signifier of his protective big brother feelings? Well, Donna knew. Donna is awesome.

Harvey couldn’t bring himself to fire Mike because somewhere beneath the lavender silk and the immaculately coiffed hair he has FEELINGS. They’re very small and he’d appreciate it if you’d please ignore them because they often prompt him to recklessly endanger his career. He sent Mike out to handle the big important Swinton merger that was being held up by a pesky lawsuit (don’t you hate when that happens?), then baited Louis into throwing work at Mike so that he could buy time to work on bargaining with Jessica. If Mike was just randomly fired, then Louis would start asking questions about it and the entire story would become common knowledge... which was exactly what Jessica DIDN’T want.

Luckily, Harvey didn’t have to brainstorm for too long. The wife of David Hardman, the man who put the Hardman in Pearson-Hardman, passed away after a long struggle with breast cancer. News of her demise sent the partners at the firm into panic mode because it meant that their absentee overlord was potentially returning to torment them all. In their defense, all of that anxiety wasn’t exactly unfounded since we learned that David Hardman was a womanizer and an embezzler who nearly brought down the entire company with his nefarious ways. I mean, even Louis Litt was dreading Hardman’s return. Admittedly his concern was more about the potential return of long work hours than anything else, but still, it’s pretty impressive that the thought of Hardman had even the firm’s residential skeeze panicking.

However, no one panicked quite as much as Jessica Pearson, whose very position in the company would come under fire if David Hardman returned. Harvey compared the situation to Highlander: “There can be only one.”

From Highlander, it was a quick jump to Let’s Make a Deal. If Harvey kept Hardman away from the firm, Jessica would let him keep Mike.

Meanwhile, Mike quite successfully settled the lawsuit that initially held up the Swinton merger... all by himself, like a big-boy lawyer. It made his impending unemployment all the more unfathomable. He’s come a long way from the bumbling newbie we knew in Season 1, formally qualified or not. Now if only he could get his love life sorted out.

Harvey pulled his best...um...Harvey, basically blackmailing Hardman to stay gone unless he wanted Harvey to go public with his dirty laundry. Harvey claimed that he could destroy Hardman’s professional reputation, and implied that the truth about his past philandering would turn his teenage daughter against him. Harvey left a pricy gift basket behind and went off to primp for his “Mission Accomplished” photo shoot. The good people of Pearson-Hardman breathed a collective sigh of relief...for a few hours at least.

Upon returning to the office in the morning, Harvey walked in on Hardman in the middle of a seemingly heartfelt mea culpa to the staff. He admitted to his past crimes and swore that he was a changed man. Yeah, I’m thinking probably not.

Yet Harvey still refused to fire Mike. He admitted to Jessica that he'd known the truth about Mike the entire time. And Jessica promptly fired her best asset who, in return, pointed out that he was her best—and at the moment, only—ally she had. Harvey skillfully explained that if Jessica went ahead with firing him and Mike, she’d have to explain her actions to Hardman, who would certainly spin the events leading up to their unemployment as some sort of indictment of her professional competence, and very quickly kick her out of her own company, just as she feared.

In the end, Jessica kept both Harvey and Mike on the payroll. Summoned to the office in the middle of the night, Mike arrived thinking that his meeting was with Harvey. Instead, Jessica revealed that despite knowing everything that she knew (and not particularly liking it), she’d let Mike stay... and she wanted to him to show her how he'd won Harvey over. Mike implored her to start up a laptop, echoing his challenge to Harvey in the pilot. Amazed, and a little bit amused, that Mike won his position by essentially “beating” Harvey, Jessica smirked and closed the laptop with, “I’m not Harvey.” Jessica Pearson is a total badass.

Case Notes:

– I think that my favorite Mike-and-Harvey interactions are those in which they try to out-movie-geek each other. This week had Mike quoting Goodfellas (“Where’s the money, Karen?”) and Harvey pulling out Highlander references at a funeral. Between Highlander and Harvey’s documented Star Trek love, I daresay he’s the bigger dork. Awesome.

– Forget WWHD (What Would Harvey Do?). It’s more like WWJPD or WWDD. Jessica and Donna are the fierce female string-pullers of Pearson-Hardman and I’m totally okay with it.

– Okay, so the Rachel-Mike-Jenny love triangle is over, right? Hopefully? It was seriously my least-favorite storyline last season. I didn’t even care who Mike ultimately ended up with, I just wanted the tug o’ war to stop.

– “She Knows” tied up the remnants of Season 1 and set the stage for Season 2 quickly and efficiently. I think David Hardman is going to be a lot of fun to hate. (Plus: Hi, Gale from Breaking Bad!) I’m pretty excited. How about you?

Donna is the awesomest :D
Awesome episode. Hopefully they can use David Costabile's acting chops this season.
This episode was probably one of Suits' best. There was a great fast pace to it, and all of the main characters were well-acted and quite memorable. It was fun and smart, and I loved that Gale -- ahem, Hardman -- is a part of this season. Also, I really like the premise that season 2 is seemingly going to take. There really isn't anything bad I can say about the episode... I even liked the fact that Trever was "told off" and that Jenny might be out of the picture (she's cute, but season one was more than enough for her).
Really loved that episode! USA, how I've missed you! You're my channel of bromances! Between Suits, White Collar, and now Common Law, my heart rejoices. Anyways. T'was a really great episode. Mike and Harvey were awesome, Donna was Donna (and dear lord do I love that girl!), and Jessica was a smart bad-ass.

I'm intrigued about Hardman. I love that we're finally seeing where the Hardman is from, but I need more David Hardman screentime before I make up my mind about him. Didn't know the actor from before. I think the problem is... everybody seems so afraid of him, but I'm really not. At least not yet. I hope we see the bad-ass lawyer soon, because right now I don't find him really scary. Doesn't help that the actor is kinda on the short-side, too. Doesn't help the intimidating factor for me. But still! We'll see!

Oh, and Harvey's "To protect my own" was my heart's downfall. Those boys. Let me hug them.
Thank you so much for pointing out that Hardman was Gale! I feel like an idiot not realizing. The entire time he was on the screen though he looked so familiar. Donna is amazing. This show has great female characters which a lot of shows sadly don't. And hell, this show has amazing characters all around it is why I watch among many other reasons. The premiere did not disappoint and I can't wait for the rest!

I hate lawyer shows.. like I'd rather stab myself with sharp objects instead hate.. but I find this, and Franklin & Bash too I guess, to actually be really good probably because they're not typical law shows.

also, what on earth kind of alternate universe is this where every single woman who works there is that gorgeous? Rachel, Donna, and Jessica.. SERIOUSLY! I need to work at this law firm asap.
This has gotta be one of the BEST Season 2 openers I've EVER seen! You had (a) women pulling the strings, (b) youngers practically bodyslamming one another (verbally, of course), (c) power games that the US and Soviets would lust after, (d) Mike's panic and brain power on display WITHIN seconds of one another, (e) Harvey sticking it ONCE AGAIN to Lewis, (f) Donna STEALING her scenes, wrapping them up in duct tape, and sending them into the ether like frakkin' Times Square on New Years' Eve, and finally ....

two men, bonding over movie references AND ... dare I say it ... mutual trust and brotherly affection!

I will spend the weekend replaying this episode several times - and NOT just to see the Donna scenes (but, seriously: did you SEE that dress she was in??? HOTTTT!!!!)

OK, I'm done.
Staff
It was a GREAT episode. And I agree, Donna always steals her scenes! She's so awesome. She might actually be my favorite.
Suits is the best show involving lawyers mostly series involving lawyers are boring but SUITS is awesome
I was impressed how this episode was able to keep its balls juggling in the air right up until the end, definitely fun and interesting.

Still unfortunate though is the writing for Mike falls just a hair short of passable, he's still too immature and dealing with small things rather than focusing on the precarious situation he's gotten himself into.

All in all though, a good episode and an impressive return. My chief complaint would have to be Harvey's hair color changing from shot to shot - dark, light, dark, light. Store run out of Grecian Formula?
Staff
I think my issue with Mike (a small one, but definitely with the potential to grow) is that he constantly make his own messes without taking responsibility for them. It made his attitude toward Harvey, with the expectation that Harvey would/should just FIX IT, annoying. Harvey TOLD HIM to lose Trevor. Trevor is CLEARLY the worst friend ever. WHY ON EARTH would you tell someone who has REPEATEDLY screwed you over, a secret that not only jeopardizes YOUR career, but those who helped you get there as well. Mike is so smart and so stupid at the same time.

Harvey's hair! Haha, I miss the giant POOF from early s1. It was so ridiculous.
I too miss the poof. I mourned it for the entire episode after it was gone.
Gotta disagree with you there on Mike, Captain. The kid hangs with grownups better than I did at his age, that's for sure. He's a KID, though - he's SUPPOSED to act immature and deal with small things while missing the bigger picture. That's kinda the point of the character ... which is why he pulls it off so well.
really really strong opening for season 2! I just can't wait for the next episode
This is really one of the most smartly written shows around. I wasn't the biggest fan initially but when I caught up with the whole season. i really ended up liking it and it was probably one of my favorite new shows of last season.

As for the premier. I really want to see Mike take down "sucky friend trevor" because that character is written really well to not have any redeemable feature. Also I am glad to see that the relationship with the girlfriend is on the rocks. Because I never really understood it and it never seemed like Mike would be the kind of person to violate the Bro code, despite how crappy trevor is.

As for the rest. Harvey, is such a well written character and Gabriel really pulls it off. Same with Jessica and Louis. I am not certain of bringing the new Boss character into the mix but I imagine it will make for more tension. If Jessica knows Mike's secret, there has to be some type of consequence for it and that is a natural thing that the show needs. So I understand the need for a big bad, I am just not sure the new boss is going to to be it.

Louis, is Louis. That character is just fantastic. In a way he kind of reminds me of Dan Stark from The Good Guys on Fox. He is charmingly vile. He is just a fantastic character and fits so well in the universe that they built for the show. I am not certain I could imagine the show without him in it.

As for the case of the week. I like to see Mike becoming more like Harvey but still like himself. Jessica had it right when she said he is the perfect parts of both her and Harvey.

The legal Secretary is back. and still all kinds of yummy.

But what did it for me and honestly the only thing that lacked from last year. More Donna. More and more Donna. She like Louis, is essential for the show. She needs more screen time and I know that is difficult for a show like this with as much talent and great characters it has. But he lines, her facial expressions and her battling wits with Harvey was fantastic and was missing from last season. I hope they continue with that.

The great thing is that with the great writing of the show and with all of the fantastic characters the episodes are going to be filled with wit, intelligence and great one liners. The bad part is that it is going to make the episodes fly by quickly and the season even quicker and then it will leave fans wanting more.

Out of all the USA shows I could see this one easily taking a 23 episode season and not miss a beat or lessen the quality.
I hate "Sucky Friend Trevor"

- Apparently has a long history of getting screwing over Mike

- Set Mike up for a drug bust (mistakingly)

- Turned his girlfriend (and Mike's) friend AGAINST HIM immediately after the drug bust

- Stole Mike's stuff

- You Mike STILL saved his butt with Harvey's help

- And "Sucky Friend Trevor" still turned on him at the end
I know ... what we need to see as fans is one more episode with Sucky Trevor -- caught in a drug sting, frantically calling Mike and begging for help .... and Mike hanging up on him after telling him, "watch yourself out there in the yard."

Now THAT would be a cool wrapup to this jerk!
SUITS!
So glad that this show is back!that office.

Finally a fan who feels similarly. Jessica Pearson is a frickin BADASS. We're accustomed to calling Harvey one, but clearly the lady behind Harvey being this awesome is Jessica Pearson. Love her. Love that Jessica and Donna totally pull the strings and call the shots in the office!

I loved seeing Harvey and Jessica work together and antagonize each other. they have easily the most interesting relationship of the series. While the others are great as well, there is something delightfully complex and unimaginably ambiguous about the two of them. There is no way to adequately define the bond that they have because it seems to surpass labels. Love it! No way in hell she would have fired her favorite protege and you could tell she was somewhat impressed with Harvey's loyalty to Mike and in Mike himself. I loved the line she said about Mike being the best of both of them. There were a lot of dynamic relationship type vibes in this episode. The harvey/Mike bromance. the parental/sibling vibes that both Donna and Harvey had for Mike and one another. The closse relationship between Harvey and Jessica. Just good stuff.

I hope the love triangle is gone, or at least on ice. It isn't the most interesting thing on the show, and fortunately they don't have to rely on things like that to be entertaining. I soo look forward to what havoc Hardman will cause. Jessica and Harvey (with donna and mike) agains Louis and Hardman perhaps?! So glad that this show is back!
Love this show. The ladies are total badasses and I love it. The love triangle was quite overhyped and for the most part not needed.
Love, love, love this show, I'm glad they didn't try to find a cop-out to the cliffhanger and dealt with it head on. You are absolutely right, Jessica is a badass and I could not agree more about the love triangle. As a device in general, the "love triangle" is overused, add to that the fact that no one really knows Jenny or cares who dates who, then it just becomes annoying. The characters on this show are awesome just focus on that.
So glad it's back! Definitely with you on the love triangle. Never bought into his relationship with Jenny anyway, no chemistry. Also... Gale! That guy's got range. I think he's going to be a great adversary for Team Pearson! Such a fun show!