Suits: The Importance of Being Louis

Suits S02E04: "Discovery"

An old case that Harvey won four years ago was reopened when the delightfully nefarious Travis Tanner got his hands on an office memo that basically tossed Harvey’s driver-error defense in the toilet. The case in question was a lawsuit between Coastal Motors and the family of a man who died when the hood of his car killed him in an accident. The family claimed that the hood was defective, but without any sort of smoking gun to implicate Coastal Motors beyond a shadow of a doubt, Harvey’s defense, a smear campaign alleging that the family member in question was a known alcoholic, triumphed.

Harvey stood by his old defense and firmly believed in the story he had told in court years earlier. Tanner announced plans to reopen the case, sue Coastal Motors for the previous faulty hood allegation, and this time, sue the pants off of Pearson-Hardman for initially defending the company. Yikes. I had a brief flirtation with the pre-law track in undergrad and episodes like this always serve to remind me why I ditched it.

Harvey initially believed that Travis Tanner was screwing with him because it’s not like Tanner has other aspirations in life, outside of making Harvey’s suck. Harvey was confident that the memo was a forgery, though after Coastal Motors fired Pearson-Hardman in the most awkward break-up ever, Harvey was willing to at least entertain the notion that the memo was real, and The Powers That Be conveniently forgot to give it to him during the original lawsuit because they were evil corporate overlords, or something. He certainly didn’t think that the memo was in his files all along and that our beloved Donna SIMPLY FORGOT TO SHOW IT TO HIM.

Poor Donna. Sarah Rafferty rocked the facial expression spectrum when, after spending literally the entire episode poring over old case files, Donna found the infamous memo with her own signature confirming that Harvey’s office had received it. We’ve never seen Donna screw up before. I don’t like it. It’s like living on Bizzaro World. But it’s the sort of thing that happens in real life, and the fact that Harvey had so thoroughly convinced himself that there had to be some sort of underhanded reason why he didn’t have the memo during the original trial made the reveal that his most trusted team member had simply had an off day absolutely devastating. If anyone stuck around to see the previews for next week, you know that Donna looked absolutely wrecked. It’s going to be hard to watch. Donna’s my homegirl.

On a lighter note (at least for the first half of the episode) the epic bromance between Harvey and Mike took a backseat to the budding relationship between Mike and Louis. Mike was essentially wrapped up in a big ribbon and gifted to Louis after he insulted Harvey’s vinyl collection. Never insult the vinyl, Mike, you idiot. Louis was delighted to have Harvey’s associate on call for as long as he wanted and the entire scene between the two rivals setting the terms was hilarious. “What do you want to do to him?” “THINGS.”

Despite initial apprehension, Mike and Louis actually worked really well together, defending a beverage company accused of false advertisement by a rival. Louis got to show off his own awesome lawyer skills by bonding with a low-ranking executive from the rival company over the frustration of being continually passed up for promotion, despite being capable and loyal to their respective employers. On one hand, the scene blatantly laid the goings-on in Louis Litt’s head out in the open, finally explaining himself to Mike while avoiding the sort of mushy heart-to-heart with an associate that would make Louis gag. It also served to successfully persuade the overlooked rival employee to jump ship and testify that the entire lawsuit was orchestrated to stir up publicity and sales for his own failing company. But most importantly, it was foreshadowing of what was to come. The rival employee was a mirror image of Louis, which is why Louis’s words worked so well to motivate him to turn his back on his employer. Louis understood how it felt to be ignored all too well.

But, unlike the dude from the rival company, Louis had hope. He had been commended by Jessica for his solution to the Harvard problem in “Meet the New Boss,” earned the respect of the associates, and, most importantly, a handful of praise from Harvey himself. Having worked well with Mike to win the false advertising case, the two often antagonistic individuals were actually getting along. However, having been the butt of Pearson-Hardman’s jokes for so long, it was understandable that Louis was apprehensive about his newly accepted position in the firm. It only took a few cutting words from those he admired, the “popular” kids, so to speak, to tear all of that progress down.

Harvey and Jessica were adamant that the Coastal Motors lawsuit had to be kept away from Hardman. He would use the fact that the memo was lost under Jessica’s watch to overthrow her reign as Managing Partner in the firm. Louis realized that Harvey was in trouble and rather than be a dick about it, actually offered to help. While I understood Harvey’s rationale in rejecting the offer, I was also disappointed. I mean, it’s fairly obvious why Louis is the way he is and frankly, a good chunk of it can be traced back to Harvey. I love the guy, but he has the tendency to come off as a bully, and he’s certainly more reactionary than anyone realizes (though after “Meet the New Boss” I think Jessica is starting to take a hint.)

After being unceremoniously tossed on his ass, a hurt, insulted Louis pulled out his handy dandy digital recorder that was conveniently left in Harvey’s office after he was kicked out. Despite Mike’s defense of his actions and plea to Harvey to reconsider leaving Louis out in the cold, Louis was only concerned with Harvey’s rejection, his assertion that Louis could not be trusted. It only took a few aptly timed kind words from Daniel Hardman to get Louis to tell him everything.

However, rather than jump on the opportunity to dethrone Jessica, Hardman expressed his disappointment that she and Harvey kept such an important thing from him. He pointed out that he was a founding partner too and that an attack on the firm is an attack on him as well as on Jessica. He asserted that he would do everything in his power to save the firm, even team up with Jessica and Harvey, despite their hatred of him.

Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s just saving his coup for a more opportune time.

Case Notes

– Well, Rachel got to be awesome for at least a little while, right? This week it was right back to storylines that revolve around nothing more than being the office love interest. And no, changing things up and having dorky Harold be the one pursuing her instead of Mike did not make it better.

– This season of Suits is doing a good job of making Jessica and Harvey look like douchebags. I mean, right now, Hardman is doing the saint act, and while it’s all clearly bull, I can’t help but think it might be in their best interest to at least outwardly play along. Even Mike has started to turn on them, especially after Harvey’s treatment of Louis this week.

– Mike was less of a brat this episode. Yay.

– I’m still holding out hope that Louis will be the Severus Snape to Mike’s Harry Potter. How about you?

I live in Toronto and was walking down the street when I noticed several trailers lining the street. Each one had a name in its window, "Jessica", "Donna", "Rachel", "Louis", "Mike". "Wow", I thought, "those are all character names on Suits!" Little did I know they were filming only a couple blocks away! Thanks to a friendly crew member who directed me and a friend to the right location, I got to see Gabriel Macht (Harvey) & Patrick J. Adams (Mike) in person! Really cool -- and they both looked really good too! :)
-Rachel: If they are going to have her be the office romance and beat every guy back with a stick at least make someone that could be a threat to Mike. I would have liked to see Rachel and Donna digging through the storage room together especially after the 'incident" with Mike lol I'm hope this is the low point episode for Rachel and that we get to see why she's the paralegal with her own office.

--The only look like douchebags due the chickens fearing the fox in the hen house.

-- Mike will be less bratty when he's nowhere near Rachel. He only turns into Gollum when he sees her.

--- Lay off the Harry Potter ;) I'd prefer to see Louis get some REAL respect for a change.

I have the feeling, that the writers/producers actually lurk this site and the comment section.

I mean, a few weeks ago, somebody mentioned about "the hair" and now suddenly they trim it even shorter. Then, somebody mentioned about "the brattiness", poof! its gone now. Less damsel rachel, more donna, sympathies towards tragic character louis, etc etc...

Perhaps i was wrong, perhaps they've finished filming long ago, and the writers were just really that good on giving us what we wanted.

But still, i cant shake that feeling.
3 hotties on tv-Maggie Q, Grace Park, and Sarah Rafferty!!!! wow!
I keep thinking about that scene in the file room when Donna found that paper in the file, and then her signature and initials at the top. The facial expressions, the body language ... that was, Sarah Rafferty, INCREDIBLY EXTRAORDINARY! And one of the best things about it? When Rachel found her, and Donna shut down her face JUST enough to hide her anguish, but allowed enough to let her friend know that she wasn't her usual self ... was PRICELESS.

The last time I remember seeing acting like that was with Kiefer Sutherland in "24".

If you're an aspiring actor, you need to WATCH THAT SCENE OVER AND OVER AGAIN .... cause, kids, THAT'S how it's done!

"Suits" is just amazing.
It almost felt like this story was a little out of place following the Rachel-Mike meltdown. But I don't think "love" is what 99% of the guys who hit on her are going for.

I keep asking myself what I do in Donna's situation. I have a reputation for owning up to my mistakes, but this if HUGE. How would any self-preserving person handle this. I adore this story line.

In my dreams I am like Donna, but IRL in so many ways, I am far more like Louis. It is incredibly cool how the writers are building, expanding and revealing these characters against the backdrop of the antagonists. This is nothing like a soap opera. It is cleverly crafted, well acted and at this point, I am absolutely hooked.

Team Louis.
We're all assuming that Louis spilled the beans to Hardman, but I think it's certainly possible that he didn't and they just want us to believe it at the moment. We never actually see Louis tell him, and earlier in the episode Harvey even says to Jessica that Hardman has friends at CM and is bound to find out sooner or later. So even though Louis is obviously hurt by the tape, and he tells Mike he will remember it, we don't actually know if he told Hardman yet. It could just as easily have been the people he knows at the company.
Just a random firing between my brain cells: wouldn't it be great to see Harvey and Mike go up against Franklin and Bash? Just the interaction between Donna and Pindar would be life altering! I wouldn't even care who won.
I actually forgot Rachel was in this episode.
Does this make Harvey Dumbledore?
Great episode! The only thing I hope isn't happening is that this whole thing with Donna is them trying to writer her off or lessen her role. Because she is amazing.

Tanner: You know, I'm thinking Upper-East side.

Harvey: Well, why don't you check out the corner of 81st and kiss my ass.

- Cut to opening title sequence -

That had to be the best line leading to the opening title sequence I've seen this year. That made me snicker really loudly. Also:

Mike: What? I found it, that makes me even smarter.

Harv: Don't be cocky. It's unbecoming.

Mike: Ahem.

Harv: On you. I can pull it off.

Haha! Love it.

Anyways, I absolutely loved this episode. The best part? The two I loved most were Louis and Donna. Yeah, that's right; most of affection is not towards Harvey, Mike, or Pearson (or obviously Rachel) but to Donna and Louis. Donna had very little screen time, but she probably had the most impact to both the plot and the quality of this episode. The show did a great job making Louis look pretty awesome and fantastic and great... then be an asshole (with some reason) again. Perfect. Loved this episode.
The exchange between Harvey and Louis about labor laws and the Geneva Convention was particularly brilliant, too.
For so many years now there has only been one excellent law drama on our TV's, but season two of Suits has definitively proven that The Good Wife now has some company.

The characters are all fantastic. Fully developed, well rounded human beings, with strengths and weaknesses, a good side and bad. Characters are everything to the long term survival of a TV show so I expect Suits to be around for many years to come.

The cases are all well thought out and well constructed; in fact the writing for the whole of the show is extremely good. They have some great actors, fantastic guest stars and the show has a great setting and wonderful feel to it. This is surely one of, if not the, best shows of the summer.
You're so right about The Good Wife and people don't say that enough. It's certainly the best written show on TV and if not actually the best TV has to offer then it's way up there. We all have our favorites like Fringe and Revenge and True Blood, but we should be watching this as well. I've liked Suits from the beginning and have only watched the first episode of season 2 - because I like to savor them so I space them out. I think you may be right because I loved what I saw and will watch more later because I want them to last. The promo for the 2nd episode has me wanting to watch it but I will wait just a bit longer...
I can't wait to watch the new episodes, I don't know how you can stand it?

I was actually late to the party with The Good Wife, just after season three started I decided to marathon through the first two seasons - it took just over four days (and long nights), I couldn't stop watching. Plus, Julianna Margulies is one of the sexiest women on TV.
The only reason I can stand it is because I have no choice...
I felt so bad for Donna. She is so awesome and I don't like seeing her sad. Hardman freaks me out cause I just don't know when he is going to attack and every time I look at him I see Gale's karaoke video from Breaking Bad. And I completely agree, Mike was way less of a brat this episode, so yay!
Delicious...
Harold. Donna. Louis. Daniel.

I'm glad to see Harold get more time onscreen. Yes, he's a clueless wretch, but you can't help but like him. I honestly hope he and Rachel get a chance. It'll be good comedy if not good drama.

Donna is always fantastic - the impromptu mussed-hair distraction was beyond genius. And I'll disagree with those who don't want to see her fall. Seeing how she handles falling will bring complexity to her character and I think it will be fascinating for all of us. (And of course, she'll be redeemed.)

Louis is seeing himself in a better light at times, and that's going to help others see him that way: Jessica, Daniel, Harvey, and Mike have now all given him props recently. And I no longer hate this actor. Wow.

Here's where I risk ridicule from the rest of you: I'm not so sure any more that Daniel is faking it. More than once now, he's had the ability to wreak vengeance and he hasn't. His smile may be his way of controlling the knowledge that he has the power to destroy and chooses not to. I'll posit that he may eventually be the best choice to head the firm, and that Jessica and Harvey's truest enemies are not Louis or Daniel, but themselves. If anything, this show is emphasizing that lies come out and destroy the liars. If it turns out I'm wrong about Daniel, feel free to laugh in derision at my naivete. For now, though, I'm voting neutral on Team Daniel.
I think ^THIS (stanking) is an awesome perspective, but I can't shake the feeling that Hardman is playing chess while the others are playing checkers. He'll eventually make his coup de grace.
Staff
Word. I'm not entirely ready to jump on Team Daniel, but I'll join you over in neutral. Part of me wonders what the point of him would be if he's not going to be a big bad, but part of me thinks it would be AMAZING if he really was redeemed. I DO think that Harvey and Jessica jump the gun sometimes and tend to have a wee bit of a holier-than-thou self-righteousness. They aren't infallible, and if this season's arch ended up being about those two realizing that, rather than a power struggle with Hardman, I'd be all for it. If written well, it would be amazing.
Also joining team chaotic neutral. I want to believe Hardman's bs. I do. But this may just be a huge windup and not only is he locked and loaded, but has a whole flotilla just waiting for the precise moment to blow Jessica and Harvey to kingdom come.

Still, at this point, I am finding it incredibly difficult to full on hate him.

That said, something in his eyes and mannerisms makes me not want to fully trust him, either.
Anybody who ever had a Jewish mother knows what Daniel's up to...I'm shocked he didn't specifically say the phrase "I'm not mad, just...disappointed." AAAHHHHHHH!!!
this episode made me want to like Louis more, but he keeps ruining it for himself
Ironically, that is exactly why I do like this character more. It helps explain him and makes him more complex and believable.
Louis is what he is and a great character. He will always come up on the short end of things because he thinks he gets it but ultimately doesn't and that's what makes him a good character...
This show is amazing! It truly is. I mean there are shows that I watch that are into their fourth and fifth season that still have not mastered great character development quite like this show has. That is what set this apart from other shows as a standout breakout hit last summer and that is what is making it so incredible this season. I mean each episode has been well crafted and well written and relevant. They are giving us a show worthy of an Emmy nomination. I'm not saying that just to say that either...it truly has been that good.

Yeah see it could very well be that I'm biased. I don't think that's the case though...but I don't think this season has done anything to paint either Jessica or Harvey as douchebags. I think it has peeled back layers of two of the most complex characters on the show. My opinion of them has not lessened in this whole ordeal, if anything I'm enjoying them both even more than usual because we're getting to know them more. I'm drawn to the complex and Harvey Specter (and Jessica Pearson) are complex, multi-faceted charhacters. They've managed to explore with character development and character relationship dynamics and that is positively thrilling! I think it's shown some of the positive attributes to both characters coming through more than ever to the point of it almost becoming a fault. Loyalty. Drive. Dedication.

I loved the Louis and Mike bromance! It was so awesome and fun to watch. Louis again was stealing the episode and I loved it because he too is such a fun character...although he's probably the most simplistic of them all. He wants adoration, reverence, respect, and accolades. It makes sense. Although his lack of understanding of people in general is probably what is keeping him from truly being happy...and that is an interesting aspect. It isn't realistic to expect someone to praise you nonstop for doing what you are supposed to be doing. His expectations of what he thinks he deserves are almost too high, so much so that he fails to acknowledge the little things that actually count. Harvey and Jessica both have given him his props on more than one occasion, but it's never enough for him. I mean he wants what he believes Jessica and Harvey have but he misses all the things that they actually have. Like the fact that Jessica and harvey get along so well because of how similar they are...they aren't the sensitive type to have their heart on their sleeve and they banter and snark and make fun of each other more than anything and that's how they express what they mean. If Louis paid attention to that he'd realize that he isn't nearly as ostracized as he tends to believe. I mean Harvey himself has told him that he only jests like that with Louis because he respects him. As much as I enjoy Louis and get his feelings of inadequacy and underappreciation I also think that even though there is some stakes in his claims there aren't nearly enough for him to behave the way that he does, and in some ways he does in fact bring it upon himself. But if for not him being this way he wouldn't be nearly as interesting and the awesome wild card that he is this season. Loving it.

And Donna! Damn! That is my girl! I cannot wait to see what happens next week. The beating that these unshakeable bonds are taking this season are so unbelievably awesome. I mean first it was Jessica and Harvey and now...now it'll be Harvey and Donna. She's his right hand girl, confidante, and bestie.

Speaking of Donna...her and Mike in the file room had me in stiches! gotta love a girl who thinks quick on her feet in such a hilarious way.

Harold is so pathetic it's adorable.
Now I know why I like you, MaryAnn. The Snape reference is spot on (I hope).
Spoiler alert: LOUIS KILLS DUMBLEDORE.
This season of Suits is doing a good job of making Harvey look like a douchebag... Please explain. I dont see it. Not his fault Donna missed the document.
I thought when the show began Harvey was just a vehicle for Mike to ride on but he has become great on his own and gives the show great depth as most of the characters have. The only thing I don't like is that the show has short seasons and always leaves me wanting more...
Staff
Oh, no, it has nothing to do with Donna. I just meant that despite what we know about Hardman being a jerk in the past, and Louis being a pain in the butt most always, Harvey and Jessica are often very quick to reject both of them, go behind their backs, and basically just make quick and harsh judgments based on past wrongs.

As an audience, with our inside knowledge of how Hardman and Louis tend to operate, it's easy to take Harvey's side, but if you look at he and Jessica from the POV of a Pearson-Hardman employee, with no additional insight, it's hard to like Harvey.
I hate to admit it, but Louis got to me when he took the fact that the first year's rated working with him as the worst place to be, as a compliment. That was kind of funny. I'm glad they're showing more and more how he got to be the way he is. This is what a good second season is about. Character development at this stage is as important as the story line itself.
Completely agree! They have really tackled the character development head on. I'm impressed.
And continue to do so in some really unexpected and intelligent ways. It is so refreshing to see a show that doesn't dumb itself down for the lowest denominator.
XD I just wanna know why Rachel was hoarding all those staplers... I thought it was hilarious and moment in the room with Donna and Mike when Harold popped in was soooo funny... Poor Louis... I'm starting to feel sorry for him... AAAAAND Gabriel Macht had gotten a haircut! XD
I think Rachel had all those staplers because she used that as a way to get male employees off her back. They bother her, she tells them she's desperate for a stapler so they go off to find her one. I wish they would have told us what happened with the bar exam, I missed Rachel this week.
Having never taken the Bar, I can't speak from experience, but I seem to remember when I took my SATs that the results took a while...and the Harvey/Hardman discussion would indicate that this episode only takes place a week after the previous one.
Still it would have been nice to have a little mention.
-Dorky Harold pursuing Rachel wasn't that great, this is true. I had thought Rachel was going to be the one who messed up, but I guess I called that one wrong. I say get her more into the underhanded stuff. I liked her internal struggle with that sort of thing.

-Harvey to Louis this was a straight up tortuous. We love Harvey because we're supposed to, but if I were in that office and I weren't Mike or Jessica, I'd probably hate Harvey, too. But they're definitely setting this up for a really good show-down at some point, so I'm okay with it.

-I like it when they actually put Mike to use and he works rather than just complains about people threatening him and finding out about him. Actually work, then people won't have time to speculate whether or not you went to school.

-I am loving Louis a little more each episode. I really am. He's a great character.
Another good episode. Louis has every right to feel like the forgotten soldier cause thanks to Harvey and Jessica, he kind of is. Suits is doing a great job of pointing that out while also giving him a chance to either move on or use his newfound info as leverage against them.

I too felt bad for Donna, but it works for the show so I'm ok with it. The look on her face when she realized what she had done was priceless. I like her, but she did the crime, so she'll face the time....with Harvey!!! Yikes!!!
It will definitely give Sarah Rafferty a chance to show what she is made of. I love Donna. She's Della Street to Harvey's Perry Mason.
And I thought I was the only one who thought so :)