Sundance Renews Rectify for Season 2

Sundance's first original-programming rodeo is officially a business success: The network has handed out a Season 2 renewal to its debut scripted drama Rectify halfway through the show's first season. The 10-episode order is a promotion of sorts, as Season 1 will only be six episodes long. Season 2 is expected to air in 2014.

Rectify follows a man who gets released from Death Row almost two decades after was first incarcerated for the rape of a teenage girl after DNA evidence proves his innocence. The character study follows his reintegration into normal, free society and the suspicions of his family and friends. It's most often advertised as "from the producers of Breaking Bad," but did you know that the man who created the series is Ray McKinnon, who played Linc Potter in Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy? Yep, the guy who hung upside-down and drank chocolate milk like he was addicted.

Rectify is next on my list of things to watch and I hear the first hour-and-change is a bit of a slow grind, but after that, it's fantastic mature drama that's beautifully shot. Check out what our own Ryan Sandoval had to say about the first couple episodes

Rectify currently airs Monday nights on Sundance Channel at 10pm.

The worst thing about this show, is that we have to wait until 2014 for season 2 GRRRRR, but season 1 was absolutely stunning, and as engrossing as Breaking Bad. This has got to pick up the reigns where Breaking Bad left off, and get the next Emmy for Best Drama Series... Well Done Ray!!!!!
This is a very good new series. Better than most things on TV. Its a bit slow especially the pilot but it gets better. The script and acting is very good and really make you believe this person is away for a long time and really missed a large part of his youth. I am glad it gets a second season!
I'm glad it was renewed because I just watched the finale and it was a cliffhanger... in that there are still questions that need to be answered.
How can people enjoy this show. Its as boring as church
I know, right? Who in their right mind could possibly enjoy a show that makes one think and feel and question society itself? I could never find myself engrossed in the subtle, nuanced dialogue and characters that feel strange, yet familiar and very real. Seriously! And everyone in the show can really act? Who wants to see professional actors doing a great job?? Let us all slink back into the murky depths of reality t.v. where it's safe from all this dangerous thinking and feeling. What's really needed is a show about actors dancing..or is that dancing actors? Oh well, i'm sure someone will save us from quality television series!
I think what's appealing to some that it's different than anything else on TV. I saw the first few episodes and I think it was slow paced, but I found the story compelling. I think it's done more artistically, with the non-speaking of the protagonist, and him having to rediscover the world after being locked up in prison for such a long time.

I like how the whole family is super dysfunction and weird. < XD
because sometimes real dialogue and an actual mystery as well as a story of a man locked up for 18 years trying to find a plcaer in 'modern' scociety, as well as reconnect with his family. It is realy no boring at all unless yo need rampant sex scenes, tons of violence and excitement. Itis not boring at al. there are a ton of questions, a ton of possibilities, and the acting is top notch.
I'll catch up on the show now that I know it has a season 2. I don't bother with mini series (that could change sometime later).
The woman in the last picture looks like Alessandra Torresani but after a quick internet search I found that it isn't. Who's lying to me my eyeballs or the internets?
Woohoo, great show as Ive said many times here before. Aden Young is fantastic, the rest of the cast is fantastic, the writing is superb and 'real'. Best family dynamics on tv since Six Feet Under.
Off topic but is anyone doing a 'should I watch this' or a Review of USA's new 'Graceland'? It is a little cliche at times but I still find it to have promise. It is interesting to see USA doing something a little different than their normal quirky character dramedys.
I feel like watching it too but not sure if I should start.
this show has an amazing way of making you stop everything your doing to just watch; like its hypnotised you, and before you know it the hour is over. each character is so oddly compelling without ever saying much. im soo pleased this show has been renewed because its one of the best from this year, last year and next year!
This show was so good I was hooked from the first five minutes of the first episode. Really happy to find it's been renewed. I was a fan of SoA (until the last season totally jumped the shark); but I went into this not expecting more of the same, but was actually hoping for something *different*. I certainly got that.

Aden Young was completely brilliant and yet utterly understated as Daniel Holden; his voice......like liquid chocolate and I am some serious chocoholic. Damn that man could recite the ABC and I'd be hooked the choco junkie I am. I also thought Abigail Spencer was excellent as Daniel's sister Amantha (what a weird name - I can't be the only one thinking, why not just call her samantha?) Their close relationship, summed up in their dawn conversation by their car, was nice to watch and very believable.

The rest of the cast were all good, but these two really stood out for me. Amantha was the sort of sister I'd have loved. I also thought Tawney (Adelade Clemens) was quite sweet and, along with Daniel's sister, one of the few that just accepted him.

Overall I'd give this show two thumbs up and can't wait for S2 to see what happens next.....
Abigail Spencer was on Craig Ferguson last night (tuesday, 4/30) and was quite fun.
I'm thrilled that it was renewed and really love this show. This show is nothing like Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy (both excellent shows) but it is still great. I worry that people will go into the show expecting similarities to BB or SoA but it's completely different (but still excellent).
It's funny, I've only watched the first two eps so far (three is on my DVR), but I was hooked from the get-go, and yet I keep reading how people had to "get through" that part. I guess it all depends on...I don't know what.
I think they are saying "get through" that part because they think a show without a lot of physical action or fast back and forth dialogue is slow (which is misused as synonymous with boring).

"Slow" was never meant to imply "bad" or "boring". Instead it was meant as not much physical action--instead of that, the "slow" bits have thought provoking plot/filming/acting. "Slow" can be excellent and I think "slow" has become inadvertently synonymous with boring--it's not.
Agreed. Like, every Mallick film. I love them yet I don't many others, at least my age, who do.

• 8:00 pm