Supernatural Continues to Make a Big Ol' Mess of Things

The Winchester Boys are back! And while "First Blood" accomplished the unenviable task of building the framework for the rest of Supernatural's 12th season and the foundation seems solid -- it just wasn't a particularly entertaining display of craftsmanship.

The thing is, we've seen Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) escape from prison (in season 2's "Folsom Prison Blues") and we've seen the brothers on the run from every government agency ever (throughout most of seasons 2 and 3) so the dire straits of their post-presidential-exorcism were ultimately kind of... Whatever? I didn't need a Supernatural jailbreak episode to grab my attention after the winter hiatus. I needed something a little more ~supernatural~ to do that.

Even the mid-episode death-fake-out rang hollow. Of course Billie (Lisa Berry) was involved. Of course Mary (Samantha Smith) offered to be the sacrificial Winchester when the terms of their deal came to light. Her salvation at the end of Castiel's (Misha Collins) apparently-smites-everything-now angel sword was surprising if only for the fact that I thought we overcame Castiel's baby-in-a-trenchcoat hangups several seasons ago. Is there something I'm missing (DON'T SAY DESTIEL, DON'T SAY IT) that explains WTF is going on with him?

Supernatural's Mid-Season Finale Jumped All the Sharks

We know Castiel has loosened up since the season 5 apocalypse. We know he loves them Winchester boys. We know he carries a ton of guilt over not raising Dean "from perdition" soon enough and for screwing up Sam's resurrection, breaking his brain that one time, and turning into a Leviathan-fuelled God-monster who ultimately paved the way for he and Dean to get stuck in Purgatory for a summer. He's a different angel than he was several seasons ago. Do we really have to visit this again?

A world without a Sam and Dean is an enticing concept, and maybe if they had been allowed to go off into Billie's white light (or cold, empty void) for a few episodes, it could have had some real oomph. It was hard to feel the sense of loss and lack of direction that Mary and Castiel tried to embody, knowing full well that Sam and Dean's escape was only a matter of time. They weren't dead. Cas and Mary even knew that.

Supernatural has delighted in drowning itself in real, brutal, painful loss. This wasn't that, and I still have a hard time swallowing that an angel, a rogue resurrected hunter legend, and all of their allies, were just going to throw their hands up and mope. Okay, so Crowley (Mark Sheppard) didn't want to help them. Big deal. It's important for Supernatural to occasional reassert that Crowley is, in fact, a demon, who usually only helps the Winchesters when it benefits him.

Supernatural Needs to Make Lucifer Scary Again

The hopelessness and helplessness is certainly what drove Mary to cozy up with the British Men of Letters despite their forever-sketchiness and the fact that every other dumb isolationist hick hunter looked at their offer of alliance and went "nah." That Sam has already tentatively reached out to the B-MOL and Castiel, on his own, as well, says to me that a good old fashioned bro-down is in the works for laster on in this half.

Billie's demise opens the door for more wannabes to try to fill the void left by Capital-D-Death's death at the hands of Sam and Dean. It also makes the casual and not-so-casual viewer wonder what exactly is holding the universe together at this point, and how anything ever gets done with the Winchesters casually slaying anyone who dares threaten to separate their perky, co-dependent a--es.

I mean, really.

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 9/8c on The CW.

(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS, one of The CW's parent companies.)

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Apr 05, 2017
So many of you people whining on and on about how lame/different/stupid this show is now. WE GET IT. You hate it. Stop watching if you want, who really gives a good shite *what* you watch but if you quit watching, do us all a favor and STOP coming on here whining ad nauseum. For a refreshing change of pace, it would be really nice to have someone write about SPN who *actually* fricking likes it. FFS.
Feb 01, 2017
They killed Billie (seriously?), Death...etc...Lucifer's gone....u name them. Zzz. Seems the W brothers are even above God. And Sam seems more pussy-emo-like and Dean is getting weirder by the second. Cas is weak, Crowley is on holiday mode....WTF ? Just END this torture. This show has met its reaper. Oh wait, Billie's gone, so more BS. Zzzzz. Whatever!
Jan 30, 2017
My pet peeve with this episode is why didn't Dean call Cas instead of Billie? It just made no sense.
On the positive...I did love those Winchester boys being all bad ass in the woods against the military.
Feb 01, 2017
Yeah, I thought that too, then again for a while now they seem to contact him by phone only. Not sure what led to this in the storyline.
Jan 30, 2017
Castiel can't fly I don't even think you can pray to him.
Jan 30, 2017
Cosmic consequences that's what she said COSMIC BLODDY CAS. I liked this episode it was good. Those BMOL guys seriously ahhhhhhhhh.
Jan 30, 2017
I wish they'd get a new main villain on this show. Some new supernatural force to fight. And the show got worse when they brought back the mom. Why couldn't she stay dead like their father.
I also find Castiel to appear way too weak for an angel nowadays...
Jan 30, 2017
Yes, a new supernatural force to fight would be good. Not quite sure what forces are left though after Lilith, Lucifer, King of Hell and The Darkness? The Leviathans were shite, most other supernaturals fall into the hunt of the week category and bringing God into the mix does kinda trump everything. Yeah, I'm not keen on Mary's return either. I hope she stays in the background living elsewhere.
Jan 29, 2017
Well, they hit a trick with playing The Specials Ghost Town and then mucked it up with Crowley citing a more cultured reference instead of Mr T. :( Oh and lest we forget that they got x amount of law enforcement of varying levels whacked under the conceit that they got everyone that knew about them/it? Smile and wave boys. Smile and wave as your credulity dies.

Jan 29, 2017
*sigh*
Jan 29, 2017
Are you seriously asking whether the magic has gone from a 12 year show?? the magic went out the window years ago love

Yes, i admit, season 11 gave the show some sort of resurgence (which was partially ruined with that Deus Ex Machina finale) but season 12 has not recovered from that awful finale and has given us bad episode after bad episode and the first season where i can not decypher what the seasonal story arc is even about

Not only that but for some reason, Supernatural just decided to turn into 24 this week :/

they also died for the billionth time and then they had a Deus Ex Machina in the shape of Cas killing Billie before she took Mary

Talk abou continuing to run out of ideas - and yet there is still another season to go (and maybe more) :/

Supernatural gets Carte Blanche yet quality shows like iZombie, The Path, Quarry have to actually fight for their seasons to be made - how unfair is that?
Jan 29, 2017

I've enjoyed reading all the comments and the recap this week and I mostly agree with them. Classic Supernatural from seasons 1-5 will always be my favourite but I still enjoy seeing it week after week. Jared, Jenson and co. obviously have great chemistry and despite it's ups and downs, the show is still mainly about family which is why I keep watching it. As much as I will miss the appearances of Billie on the show, I did enjoy Castiel killing her, if only to affirm that he's part of the Winchester brotherhood. Too many people are hating on what he did, but his little speech afterwards was just perfect for the occasion.

As for the BoL, they really like the secretive part of their jobs don't they? One things the Winchesters don't do enough of in my opinion is warn the bad guys of who they are (bloodline of Cain and Abel, Vessels of Michael and Lucifer, Legacies to the MoL etc). I don't know about you, but I would embrace my ancestry a little more if that was me (and probably harp endlessly too like a d**k).

Just saying, though recent seasons don't usually see me watching them again and again, I'm still a fan of the show for the moment.

Jan 28, 2017
Oh PHUCK OFF SPN, Billie aka Death 3.0? Is killed willy nilly by the lame/old ass SPN routine off sneaking up behind a bad guy b4 they can kill the hero routine and stab them? Death snuck up on by weak ass luv struck Cas? Yeah, who cares about overpopulation or ramifications like that. The world just can't survive w/o the bros.
Stop patting yourselves on your backs SPN you're not long for the world.
#BurnthisshowwithHellfire&Holywater
Jan 28, 2017
AHHHHHHH, as the leader of the unFREE world sees these brothers bring their world to the brink.... CONSTANTLY. And the misery the Supernatural brings the audience, makes the Armageddon....Much like Billie bringer of death.... The Armageddon is pleased by the events of the past month. F*_cK YOU It's JANUARY!

P.S. Noway would these two weak hicks be able to expel the almighty power of the darkness from the Commander in Chief with a silly little charm suddenly pulled out of the retarded neutered angel's arse. This makes the Armageddon smile....And almost even laugh!
Jan 28, 2017
I am angry. Not only the death thing was stupid but what Cass did was stupid. So we will have a lot of stupid cosmic consequences.
And the BoL killing all that people that the boys have left alive was awful. I don't want more BoL. As i said before the hiatus I want to see Supernatural, not James Bond (btw, I love James Bond. That is not the problem. The problem is that I want to keep watching Supernatural)
Jan 28, 2017
It wasn't that bad, there have been weaker episodes this season. I'll miss Billie, she was sassy.
Jan 28, 2017
As much as love Supernatural this episode felt extremely random...giving up their lives just to get out and then die, doesn't seem very Winchester does it. Also i wish we could of seen Mary go out on a haunt by herself...
Jan 28, 2017
It seems to me that people don't understand that we are talking only about entertainment. Such reasoning, so art must follow the logic to be interesting. It is not a science. The episode was well filmed. The acting is on the level. Who wants to leave or who do not like show anymore may not will have to torture themselves or us, fans with their opinions?
Jan 28, 2017
The episode was well done but the plot is stupid, as was the previous episode,
Jan 28, 2017
Plot was stupid since season 6 where Sam was released from Lucifer's cage. It was impossible
Jan 27, 2017
honestly this hasn't been the best season but for me season 10 is the worst season they've done so far. this has been a medicore season at best. this episode i don't think was that bad, it wasn't great but ti was a decent episode that had things i liked such as Billy getting Killed i could NOT stand the bitch.

the original Death was fucking awesome where he just would laugh his ass off when the boys died again and again. it in short made his day and if you are death you don't get to laugh i don't think too often. yes Mary at the end is a WTF ?
but than i am not surprised because she never did want that life as a hunter

and while yes she grew up as one and still did hunt as an adult even when Dean was a Baby. cause it's who she is, she did want like Sam did and at times even Dean a Monster Free world. so it's not that Big of a surprise she'd at least listen to them. as for the rest of the episode it had it's moments that i did like. not a great episode to start with but not the worst one either. and yes the boys have went to jail and escaped like it's been said in the review.

though why the men of letters would get pissed that they didn't kill the folks that arrested them is beyond me, cause they were not monsters at all but human beings doing their job like Sam Said and why would they kill them when they weren't monsters. though the deal with Billy did have me roll my eyes cause how many times have they done that already?

and i would have been Hugely Pissed if Mary would have killed herself because i didn't see the point in bringing her back onto the show well back to life if all they were going to do is use her very little and than fucking kill her in the 1st episode of the new year! so i was thrilled when Cass staked Billy,

i wonder how much Trouble he will get into with the angles now? plus there's also the fact that i don't think he was acting like a baby. he really cares for the family and feels like a part of their family and plus after all the deals they have done through the years i think he just fucking snapped and did what he did. i say hell yeah that

part saved the episode though. as for Quitting the show i think ya should at least finish the season cause regardless who is the show runner it's like any show they have some great seasons and some really shitty ones too. i don't think this is a shitty season but just medicore and that's so far, the season isn't over yet so i'm still optimistic it could get better. i wonder if the boys will stay on good terms with the men of letters though ?
Jan 27, 2017
I'm quitting this show, and the sad thing is, I don't think I'm gonna miss it.
Jan 27, 2017
I really wish I could but no matter how bad a show gets I would always wonder how it finished. I've relegated this show to background noise whilst doing other things but no matter how bad it gets I'm gonna wind up seeing it through.
Jan 29, 2017
Yeah i'm a completeist :/ i wish i could give up on this show
Jan 29, 2017
It's both a blessing and a curse isn't it ;)
Jan 27, 2017