Twitter Had Strong Feelings About That Emotional Breakup on Supergirl

Another couple called it quits on Supergirl.

Tuesday night's episode, titled "Damage," saw the emotional breakup of Alex Danvers (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie Sawyer (Floriana Lima). Ahead of the Season 3 premiere, it was announced that Lima would be exiting the series after Episode 5, making their split inevitable.

The two first met in Season 2 after the failed assassination attempt of President Olivia Marsdin (Lynda Carter) and quickly bonded. Soon after, Alex realized she had feelings for the detective and came out to her family. They began a relationship, with Maggie helping Alex come to terms with her sexuality, and were officially engaged at the start of Season 3.

However, as we learned in this week's episode, they just couldn't come to an agreement about children. While Alex had always wanted to be a mother, the same couldn't be said for Maggie and the two decided to call it quits. As Maggie left their apartment for good, Alex thanked her for helping her accept who she is and in turn, Maggie thanked Alex for making her stronger by helping her face her past.

Supergirl First Look: Odette Annable Suits Up as Reign

The bittersweet moment touched fans of the show who turned to Twitter to express their heartbreak over losing the show's only queer couple. "I'll never forget maggie saying 'I want you' and her voice breaking while crying, that's the part that killed me the most," wrote user debnamsexual.

Leigh also weighed in on the breakup, expressing gratitude for being a part of the show's only LGBTQ representation so far. "What we were able to do together for the community, but also for just like our friendship and being able to establish such strong characters ... that goes beyond how many episodes we do together. I'm incredibly grateful for that," she told TVLine.

Additional cast members also took to the social media site to share their thoughts.

Here's what the rest of Twitter thought about Maggie and Alex parting ways.

It looks like the breakup will continue to hit Alex hard moving forward. In the episode's final moments, she heads to the bar to drink her sorrows away. Fortunately for Alex, the DEO agent will have her sister Kara (Melissa Benoist) to lean on for emotional support, with the latter even asking J'onn J'onzz (David Harewood) to fill in for a few days while Alex recovers.

Supergirl airs Mondays at 8/7c on The CW.

(Full disclosure: TV Guide is owned by CBS, one of the CW's parent companies.)

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Nov 10, 2017
I think this particular part of the episode was well done. I liked how they writers tried to keep us guessing if Alex and Maggie would stay together with the scene of them dancing to "All Through the Night" and one last night of romance. Would Maggie agree to have kids? In the end I like the way it ended. I had no problems with Maggie, I just like the fact that both Alex and Maggie stayed true to themselves. Despite their love for one another they can't be anyone else but who they are which I like very much. To thine own self be true.
Nov 10, 2017
I hate this part of the show.  Bad acting, and pandering to homosexuals.  As a gay man, I find the way television portrays homosexuality is so pandering and cloying.  It's obnoxious and offensive.
Nov 10, 2017
Okay, not to stir up shit but because I'm genuinely curious: how do you think gay relationships should be portrayed then? Because I actually thought the one in Supergirl was one of the better done ones. At what point does it stop being seen as "pandering" and just becomes an organic thing to do?
Nov 14, 2017
That's the problem FOR ME on this one. I'm just expressing my opinion of how I view this. I apologize if my opinion may have spoiled it for you. My bad. I have seen many shows portray homosexuality and dating...differently and less trite. It just seemed so rushed and superficial. I am comparing to shows like Queer as Folk or even Shameless or even (gasp) Star Trek Discovery. This just seems shallow and rushed. And to be honest, I'm here for the superhero action stuff, not the soap opera love affairs, gay or otherwise. It seems Berlanti just force feeds his sexual diversity crap. It doesn't seem natural. It seems contrived. Forced. And please don't take offense, this is just how I feel. When I watch these shows, for my love of the superhero story lines, I have to constantly say, "OKAY Greg Berlanti. We know you're gay. Can we get back to the reason the show even exists?"
Nov 09, 2017
Poor Maggie & Alex. As a childfree woman, I've always made my feelings about this known early on, but I realize that not everyone does or even considers even discussing it. A little surprised that Maggie didn't, but I can see it. I really loved them as a couple. But they'll both be stronger for it now, and hopefully we'll see Maggie again at some point.
Nov 08, 2017
Who cares? It's the story. I'm not for or against breakups in TV shows. Let's face it. The breakup wasn't 'organic', they never had a chat about kids? never? and they get married? really? if you think about it, that was rather weird, but since Lima wanted out of the show, well, that's how they set up the plot. It was kinda forced. Still, as breakup goes, theirs was quite amicable, many folks could learn a few things about how it went, but it's a TV show and It's called "Supergirl".. Not "Danvers and Sawyer". If they had any sense, they would even create a "Superman" show and have Maggie in Metropolis.
Nov 09, 2017
Yeah, I found it surprising that a couple who is engaged to be married doesn't discuss whether they'll have kids or not, most people do from the first time they talk about love & stuff. Many people even sooner.
Nov 08, 2017
I'm just glad that the episode address the whole issue of using a lead bomb in last season's finale
Nov 08, 2017
And then Alex meets a nice guy and they decide to get married. Oh, boy, THAT'S the Tweeter reaction I'd like to see.
Nov 08, 2017
That's called the Ellen Degeneres effect. Google Anne Heche for more info :P
Nov 07, 2017
I'm glad that the reaction is seemingly mostly "positive" and not lashing out and implying that the show hates LGBT couples because of the breakup. I thought it was a nice departure overall, although it felt like there was a scene or two missing in the beginning, with them implying that they've had a big conversation about things off screen. I actually had to check the episode list to make sure that I didn't miss something.

On the one hand, I'm sure the audience could infer what the conversation would have looked like so not that much is lost, but it just made the initial conversations seems a little jarring.
Nov 07, 2017
Cannot say I'm mad, I never liked Maggie. There was a moment I hoped her only reason on the show was for Alex to make a coming out and find a different girlfriend later.