Arrow's Greg Berlanti Is Working on a Supergirl TV Series

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's another in-development superhero TV series! As if we didn't already have enough comic-book characters running around the small screen, super-producer Greg Berlanti is developing a Supergirl television series, according to Deadline.

The currently untitled program will reexamine the Supergirl character and story, with No Ordinary Family's Ali Adler on board to write the script. The project is being set up at Warner Bros. TV, where all DC Comics television properties are produced; WBTV expects to shop it out to major networks soon.

This sort of thing is business as usual for the very busy Berlanti, who is also producing The CW's Arrow and The Flash, which are also from the DC universe. Between those two series, NBC's Constantine, and Fox's Gotham (which is set in the Batman world), there will be four DC Comics shows on television this fall.

Are you excited for a potential Supergirl series, or are you suffering from superhero fatigue? Who would you cast to play the Kryptonian?

I'm surprised everyone is suggesting 30-year-old actresses. I would assume that this would be teen show. But I'm confused about what kind of show this would be. Is it going to take place in the same universe as Arrow and The Flash? Isn't supergirl supposed to be unknown when superman gets famous?

I think it would probably be best to make this an independent show, like Smallville, with actors and actresses as young as possible. Bring in a couple of famous people as villains, and find new talent for the main roles.
I guess that is one of the reasons I rather not have Supergirl because I don't want the super heroine show to be a teen show. But I think many, like me , remember older, non-teen Linda Danvers. I'd prefer that they at least start her in college. I think it would be better to start her at a place where she isn't really a sidekick of Superman anymore and has learned to already a stand on her own. If you make her a teen, then you have no excuse not to have Superman and in fact he would be a must.
Plus, I really hate in so many of these teen shows, they have much more adult lives then they should (jobs, their own apartments,...) and once they get out of high school they somehow often happen to land dream jobs that they should in no way have at entry level, unless their parent owns the company. Or in the case of superheroes, they are just geniuses in high school. I really hated how they made Spiderman a teen now when originally he was a grad student so it was much more beleiveable he was able to achieve those technical aspects. One of the things these superheroes are suppose to be is role-models, and how can they be if an ordinary person can't even hope to achieve their human counterpart. It just makes things so unrealistic instead of being in the scope of reality.
More +
If they can get the twist of the story right, with a alien tring to fit in /trying to hide in plain sight element, I think it's possible that a supergril remake could be very good..
I can't recall Supergirl ever even being an interesting character.
Atleast its not yet another white man centric superhero thing. This could be really good.
Could be a great lead role for Shelley Hennig, she's certainly good enough.
Who should play the character? How about a brand new actress? That way, if the show is a hit, the actress will have a higher profile.
Only four? No, there are not nearly enough superhero series on the air. Once they outnumber cop shows we can consider that idea, but there is obviously a lot more opportunity for diverse storylines in superhero shows than cop shows, so even then it would be a weak argument. See also doctor and lawyer shows.
Good Idea?! Tough to say. WB let Smallville for 10 years..
Will they be quick to pull the hook if ratings are sluggish early?
I'll watch the pilot if gets made..
Back in the day of Gossip Girl I always thought that Taylor Momsen would've played a decent Supergirl. Propably not anymore though.
I read "Ali" and thought of Larter. That could be great.
There's a lot of potential here to REALLY expand the TV DCU... I'd they use the New 52 for inspiration, they could make Kara a Red Lantern eventually as well.

There's potential here, just have to see which direction they go with this.
Canceled after 5-6 episodes..... it'll be like the new Wonder Woman series a few years back, a dud.
cancelled! :P
Are you excited for a potential
Supergirl series, or are you suffering from superhero fatigue? Who would you cast to play the Kryptonian?

My vote is for Kaley Cuoco or Laura Vandervoort, two great actress different style in acting, but Laura is more like a serious person, at the end to me doesn't matter to me, I really want to watch more Superhero tvseries also a new Wonder Woman tv series with Gal Gadot, come on Warner Brothers lets do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Depending on how young they wanted to make her, Chloe Grace Moretz would be a good choice, assuming she doesn't care about being typecast.

Tracy Spiridakos has the look, but I'm kind of biased against her due to Revolution.
Tracy Spiridakos would be great in it. :)
Kaley Cuoco and Tracy Spridakos are terrible choices. Laura Vandervoort is only a good choice if they want to make it a true Smallville spinoff.
Good choices, but they'll never happen. Kaley's attached to BBT for the foreseeable future, and they'd never cast Laura since she was Supergirl on Smallville. They could cast her as someone else, but making her Supergirl would make people wonder if Smallville and the new show were in the same continuity.
... Sigh.

Alright Kara - you get yet another opportunity to prove to everyone how boring a character you are, solely redeemable by the fact you happen to have a huge 'S' stamped on your chest.

I know you will disappoint us all.
I think that this can be a good show as long they don't do what they seem to like to do with any strong female lead and that is give her a romantic interest, so many shows have been ruined because they introduced a woman's greatest enemy in the medium of television which is the romantic partner. I have seen so many good female leads get ruined because they have guy trouble.
Why not just bring back Birds of Prey? It debuted the same year as Smallville and was a great show.
What major DC females are not villians, love interests or basically spin offs off of a male counterpart? Is it only Wonder Woman, because that's the only one I can think of.

I think there's more than just Wonder Woman :P
Yeah but like I said they are mostly offshoots from the male counterparts or villians/antiheroes.
Saturn Girl, Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel... there are other female legionnaires, but Light Lass started out as Lightning Lass, who was pretty much like her brother Lightning Lad, XS is basically a female Flash (Bart's cousin)...
Vixen and Gypsy from the JLA...
I think Hawk and Dove were originally men, so they're out...
Donna Troy? I guess she's technically a Wonder Woman clone. Still counts though, right?
Fire and Ice? I think Guy Gardner had a thing for one of them, but they weren't there as love interests.
Big Barda?
Starfire. A lot of male heroes have had a thing for her, but she's not just there as a love interest. She's immensely powerful.
What about Zatanna, Black Canary (not a spinoff of Green Arrow btw), Raven, Stargirl, and Phantom Girl to name a few :D Actually I think a Zatanna series would be more interesting.
No Black Canary isn't a spin off of Green Arrow in the sense of not being related or like from the same planet, but I have only known her as GA's main girl. Did she start off truly on her own and then some years later they decided to let them have dalliances?

I don't know the DC world too well and I won't be surprised if it stemmed from them not having really any solid girl characters or probably Marvel had the cartoons when I was a kid.

I only heard of Raven from the Teen Titans cartoon.

What company had Cloak and Dagger?

And yes Zatanna would definitely be more interesting than super girl.
Cloak and Dagger are Marvel.
I don't think Black Canary was introduced as a love interest for Green Arrow. I'm pretty sure she was a member of the JSA before she joined the JLA and met up with Green Arrow.
Isn't Zatanna basically the female version of her dad, Zatara?
Zatanna and Stargirl are both spin-offs of earlier male characters. Liberty Belle and Terra are two original female heroines, but they don't have any big following.
Is Terra a hero again? Because I just remember her as the GeoForce clone (in terms of powers) who betrayed the Titans back in the 80s. I don't know, maybe she came before GF? Still, unless she's had a chance to redeem herself, I wouldn't put her down under hero.
True I had not thought about Zatara as a main character but indeed he actually was even present in Action comics 1! Same issue that introduced Superman! However I still think a Zatanna series about her looking for her father and travelling around the world solving issues would be a better series :D
Zatanna will be on the Constantine show eventually, she doesn't need her own show.
When I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's I did love my comic books. But there wasn't much to look forward to on the big screen or the small screen. Then, when George Reeves took his own life in 1960, I was heartbroken. Having Batman in 1966 didn't help much, either, because it was so awful--even for a kid. I had no idea that super heroes would catch on so much later in my life, and being a kid during that would be so much fun. But I guess I'll always be a kid. The best super hero thing I've ever experienced was Spiderman 1, which actually delivered a comic book to the big screen and was true to form. Superman The Movie was also great in '78. The best thing we have these days is probably Captain America, which is one I waited a long time for. But Supergirl? Why? Just Why?
Didn't No Ordinary Family get cancelled. They are still the same writer to do it again.
Yes, I enjoyed that one!
There's really nothing terribly complicated about Supergirl's personal backstory, so I'm sure they'll make up some goofy crap to fill in the blanks. Will this be better than the Supergirl movie? Probably. Will it actually have anything Supergirl about it? Probably not. They got the character wrong on Smallville and then had to write her out, hopefully this won't be that.

At the same time, it feels like another clumsy misstep by DC to get to the screen by any means possible.
There was a supergirl movie?
One of 1984's rare cinematic flops, Supergirl The Movie starred Helen Slater in a pair of fake boobs leaving the hippy dippy drapery out-of-dimension Argo City to travel to Earth to get some mystical power source tiny sphere that falls into Faye Dunaway's lap, turning her into a sorceress for Supergirl to fight. While Supergirl never meets up with her famous hero cousin (she I think actually just appears in that matching super suit as soon as she crosses into Earth's dimension), it is a true spin-off film because Jimmy Olsen from the Christopher Reeve movies shows up to be part of the "fun". It also starred Peter O'Toole and Mia Farrow as fellow Kryptonians - proving that casting is not always the only thing needed to make a good movie.

I saw it in the theater as a kid and it was really terrible, I caught it again on tv not too long ago and it is actually WORSE than I remember.
Can we have Wonder Woman TV series too?
Too bad they butchered the last one :/
I have a very high tolerance for superhero shows, but the saturation of 'em is starting to irk even me.

Someone wake me when there's more Preacher news & for gods sake, PLEASE wake me with a cattle prod if some cable channel ever decides to adapt Alan Moore's era of the Swamp Thing
Seems a little soon to do another super-show (related to superman), wait and see how flash does, then do another hero that's...I can't think of a better word than do-able, one with a feasible story in the real world like arrow or Gotham, (flash is okay at the moment because he pushes it to the line of acceptability); just stick with the current line up, we have enough hero shows (the reason why it feels like there is too much with only 3 is that only ONE channel has the rights to show them, it wouldn't feel like so much if other networks could successfully run them, but CW is doing so bad compared to the other ones that they can run them, few hero shows can ever last on any other network)
I think the fact that they are on CW is actually what is making the shows better. That channel pulls of that genre much better and more successfully.
I think Constantine might work, but I think Gotham is going to be a big disappointment.

And the CW is not doing "so bad" it is a fairly new network, has less money , and maybe only now is available everywhere in the country. I recall how fairly recently CW wasn't aired in a lot of places in the USA. Plus it has a stigma against it. CW is the channel I watch the most because it isn't saturated with cop/medical/law shows. And maybe its because they cater to a more well defined audience, they don't have to make their shows try and appeal to everyone, much like how cable network shows do.
CW is just rebranding of WB, which has been around for almost 15 years, a show that does well on that network is one that gets a quarter to a third of the audience of any of the other non cable networks; if a show on any other network got the numbers that the CW pulls, it would be yanked from the lineup (and they have)
Its not quite a re-branding. WB and UPN (owned by CBS) merged to become CW.
And yes their numbers are different .The CW operates differently from the other non cable channels nor does it really attract the much older viewers. Also those are the Nielson numbers that only apply to tv viewers with those boxes. Not all types of watching outlets.
About 20 yrs ago, when the WB channel just came into existence, I believe Fox shared the same relationship to the 3 other networks as CW now has to the older 4 (5 if counting Univision) back when it was around the same age.
Maybe Aimee Teegarden?
I don't get this antipathy against super hero shows. There are SO many? Really? I would class Constantine more as a supernatural show than a superhero show. Gotham - despite being about the origins of a superhero - also appears to be more of, well, something else. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is pretty cool but again despite being set in a superhero universe, it's more of a cool gadget driven sci-fi thing. Things like Heroes or Smallville also don't count as they're long gone. So what does that leave us with?
Arrow and Flash are pretty much the only real superhero-things on TV this season, so how is that too many? We have like a gazillion crime-procedurals, lots of all kinds of comedies, we even have a decent selection of Sci-Fi shows again (this was pretty dry after Enterprise was axed and I still miss a good space opera). So what's all you people's problem with superhero shows?

Maybe cinema is a little oversaturated with them recently, but the small screen isn't. All these characters have long and rich histories in the comics. A movie or two can't do justice to that and constantly rebooting things and retelling the origins (oh, hello there, Amazing Spider-Man) also doesn't help. If they have good writers and some good character development super hero shows can be a real treat.

So a Supergirl TV show? Hell yeah, bring it on. Just keep the highschool crap out or at a minimum. Also make it either a spin-off from Smallville's Supergirl or add it to the DC Tv universe along Arrow and Flash.

What's wrong with comicbook shows? Isn't a breath of fresh air? What percentage of TV Dramas are cop/law/medical shows?
Just a rhetorical question, but wern't comic book shows a breath of fresh air years ago? How many years does it take for ya before fresh becomes stale?

& as far as cop/medical/lawyer shows...well, that's the nature of the same beast, innit? People tend to tune into that shit to the point of parody...I can't help but wonder: whose fault is it really...the people who tune in, or the people who make 'em because people keep tuning in?

Just sayin' as an example, but, is it any coincidence that it's really easy to confuse NCIS & CSI as NCSI?

Nope. I'm convinced that shit's intentional on a corporate level

Superhero shows are no exception...they keep being marketed to the hilt because they're still marketable
it's not that there are too many in one go, it's that there are too many comic-based properties on the whole. throwing in 2 or 3 every year adds up in a very short span of time
Isn't a comic-based property just one of many kinds of sources? How many shows are based on regular (non-comic) books? How many shows are based on movies? How many shows are the nth copy of the same thing?
I bet that if you tallied the different types of sources up, even if you limit it to the time since comic-based properties became a thing, the comic-based stuff would still be one of the least common types of sources for shows.
Tell you what...if you took it upon yourself to make a list of comic-based shows for the past 3-4 years here & I were to make a list of cop/medical/lawyer shows made in the same time period, which list do you think would be bigger?

I submit the number may turn out to be unfortunately comparable

You willing to take that bet?

I am

I'll be here if you decide to take me on...after all, I might turn out to be wrong,,,wouldn't it be worth it to try?
@ Crazy: Fair nuff, but when you take what's off the top of my head:

Arrow
Flash
Walking Dead
SHIELD
Gotham
Constantine
Preacher
Walking Dead
Daredevil
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones
Agent Carter
Luke Cage
The Defenders

So, when you compare: One listing 3 genres together (Newsroom is a thowaway) & the other limited to the comic genre only, both aired & soon to be aired, I continue to stand behind what I said a couple days ago
Off the top of my head....

LAWYER/COP/MEDICAL/ETC. SHOWS:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Green Arrow
The Flash
Constantine
The Walking Dead
Gotham

These are the only comic-book shows I can think of. There's plenty of sci-fi & fantasy shows out there but they aren't based on comics so not applicable here. There's a lot of non-comic book shows I've left out because I don't watch them so therefore don't remember them - but I know there's PLENTY more! Even going by my list from my shitty memory there's at least TWICE as many non-comic shows as others. Pokes a hole in your argument there I think...

It's about time. The 80s Supergirl movie was atrocious and there isn't really a female helming any of the current superhero shows or movies. I'd watch it.
I personally would rather have Wonder Woman. They just have to cast and write it right. It can be done well if done more seriously and less campy. And of course if certain producers stay away from it (not referencing Berlanti here).
Supergirl would be a bad idea because it is too entwined with Superman. So they would basically have to have much of those characters in the show which I am guessing they wont have the rights to do.
Supergirl is a scary choice indeed...
I'm always nervous about shows based on comics. The chances for failure are so high, and when a show doesn't manage to take flight, it also leaves a mark on the character's legacy. If this show doesn't work, then the next time in the future when someone tries to make a TV show or film about it, people will say "Remember the last time they tried this? It was an epic failure. How good can it actually be?" Comic book characters with such grand legacies and extensive histories deserve to have shows that honour their pasts, and when a show fails, it feels twice as bad as when a regular, "non-comic book character" show tanks.

Secondly, the way female superheroes have been treated by show developers in the past has mostly been unfortunate. Remember Wonder Woman from three years ago, with Adrianne Palicki? Yeah, that's right. The chances are they won't treat the character of Supergirl with the respect it deserves, despite Berlanti being at the helm. If this Supergirl show looks like Arrow, then maybe I will be on board. But if it turns into a high-school dramedy in which she fights heartbreak more than bad guys, then I won't tune in.

But now to the casting game. Since the show will re-examine Supergirl's character and story, I assume she should be a little younger, and they can't sign anyone who is really famous. So here goes:

Skyler Samuels (age: 20, previous show: The Nine Lives of Chloe King)

Emma Dumont (19, Bunheads)

Nicola Peltz (19, Bates Motel)

Carly Chaikin (24, Suburgatory)

Maddie Hasson (19, Twisted, The Finder)
Pretty good choices. I like Sklyer and Nicola.
Well the way Supergirl has been portrayed on the screen can only go up at this point. Remember the 80s movie?
I would prefer a Superboy series (Connor Kent, but not the New 52 one). One in a TV universe where the rest of the DC universe exists, and maybe makes occasional cameos. I've always thought that he turned into a GREAT hero (after he got rid of that stupid leather jacket and stuff from the 90's...)
Sorry, but I can't see this flying, so to speak. There are too many new superhero (esque, in some cases) being introduced or that have already begun and are still on the air. Particularly being directed by the same man, I can't see The Flash AND Arrow being huge successes at the same time. Gotham is a bit of a different story. Back to Supergirl, though, I think it'll die out like the Wonder Woman reboot did before it got off the ground. I'm not saying it couldn't work at some point, but the superhero thing, especially DC characters that aren't really all that big to begin with (again, Gotham doesn't count as it's not about Batman), is being beaten to death at the moment.
i hope this show happens it would be awesome.
Hmmm Who would I cast. Lets start a list.
Keke Palmer
Abigail Breslin
Sophie Turner
Claire Holt
Kat Graham
Bonnie Wright
Lily Cole
Addison Timlin
Miranda Cosgrove
Ariel Winter
Brenda Song
Peyton List
Daphne Blunt

It really depends on how they write the character. Is she Superwoman or Supergirl? because that will probably be the biggest factor for narrowing down the character. Im sure I could come up with more names if I tried.

Why not it could be good
Something that DC are going to have to do before Supergirl gets off the ground is decide once and for all if the movie and tv shows are liked together. Having Arrow in it's own litte world worked fine because it's a B-List character, introducing The Flash makes life a more difficult as the character is usually on the Justice League roster. But you can't do Supergirl without making reference to her cousin.

Also interesting that you chose to illustrate the article with the 10 year-old Michael Turner 'jailbait' version of Supergirl and not the most recent one.
Eventually there will be a Marvel/DC superhero TV series that doesn't suck but at the moment Berlanti is part of the problem.
To Bad she doesnt (imo) have the acting chops for it otherwise Blake Lively is tall enough has the right hair color from the start and the appropriate bust size.
Georgina Haig was my first thought.
Maybe making it about a girl will make it more interesting than most superhero shows are turning out to be...
Call me crazy, but I'd be pretty happy to see Britt Robertson as Supergirl, especially now that she's gotten the axe from Under the Dome, and everyone that was on The Secret Circle should be incredibly successful!
Georgina Haig is my pick.
Have a feeling she's going to be busy for awhile as OUaT milks the unholy hell out of the Frozen franchise.
Actually the Frozen arc will be only 11 episodes, about half of which have already been filmed. So... no.
That was the easy answer, the other reason is that I just don't like her for it.
I was thinking Amanda Seyfried or Deborah Ann Woll but Britt Robertson is great for the TSC fans since Shelly Hennig is doing so well on Teen Wolf.

I'm not a big fan of Deborah Ann Woll with blonde hair. Maybe it's just that red is so striking on her, but it just feels wrong. I'm not particularly fond of Amanda Seyfried either. I don't hate her, I just don't see her fitting in many roles. Something about the size and spacing of her eyes throws me off. I would go with a blonde Kate Mara before either of those two.
I also think DAW is too lanky nor does she have a strong jaw.
I just remembered, Kata Mara just went blonde for the bullshit Fantastic Four reboot, so completely disregard that submission.
Amanda seyfried would be a great choice
I don't really see it. Any idea how Billie Piper does with an American accent??
Yup Gal doesn't look the part either.
I thought Laura at least looked enough like supergirl and she mainly kept herself in action rolls so that is a plus for her.
:) ok I always do this I go no this is the perfect person and no she/he won't do this properly they don't look the part but then they suprise me. It's like Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman she's an good enough actor but she doesn't doesn't look like Wonder Woman I tryed but I just can't see it.
@MichelleHood24 Laura is a pretty enough girl, but I just never really could buy her as Supergirl on Smallville. Something about her just always seemed a bit off. Might be just be something ridiculous like her waist to hip ratio is like 1:1. That always looks weird to me.
I don't think Billie piper could do the action sequence. If I had any choice apart from Amanda it would be Laura Vandervoort but she's the star of bitten so it can't happen
Billie is in Penny Dreadful. I adore the girl, but she would be a horrible choice nor does she have the look.
And the same goes for Amanda.
Furthermore neither of them can pull off the fighting.
I came into this forum to make the comment that in no way should they make a Supergirl TV show. However after reading your comment, you've changed my mind. Britt Robertson would make a hell of a Supergirl. Better yet, let's quit BSing. Just bring back The Secret Circle. Netflix, Amazon, Crackle. I don't care.
I think the TSC cast have all gone on to much bigger things (or should have by now) and are unlikely to come back to that series.
nope only some of them have. Man I miss Secret Circle.
I think Britt has the possibility of working if she trains, however she lacks the blue eyes which I rather the actress have to stick to comic book. I think that latest Superman movies was cast horribly and did not match looks or attitude.

Tom Welling and Micheal Rosenbaum look like their characters. Though yes Kristen does not look like Lana but I was many thinking of the heroes/villians that are the main.
And hey, the Arrow can get whispy hair as he grows older :).
@kou_shun_u if they followed that line of thinking, Smallville would never have been made. Heck, Arrow almost wouldn't exist as it is.
no she does not need to be muscular but she has to be able to pull of the stunts.
And I always think when making a book into a movie/show, more so a comic book/manga/graphic novel, one should strive his hardest to make the characters be as close as possible to how they are portrayed.
Eye color is an incredibly trivial thing to worry about and easily remedied. As far as training goes, she's Supergirl! Arguably stronger than Superman as well, so it's not like she needs to be bulky or jacked up to look the part.