Supernatural: It's a Nerdy Job, But Someone's Got to Do It

Supernatural S07E20: "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo"

I'm still trying to figure out whether I enjoyed or loathed "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo," Friday's episode of Supernatural. On one hand, it reminded me of everything that's been off about Season 7. On the other, it actually sorta kinda worked? I'm sure many of you loved it, so to avoid hateful comments below I'll just say it was great with some moments of being not-so-great! That works, right?

The greatness came mostly from the tone of the episode, which was light and breezy thanks to goofy homages to caper movies and classic Supernatural-not-taking-itself-seriously-essness. It was an hour's worth of the series admitting that what it was doing was entirely ridiculous. After all, the episode was about a geeky girl and a ghost hacking into a monster's laptop to steal his emails about a plan to turn humans into hamburger meat. Hello, Season 7! But if Supernatural is going to go down this road, it may as well do it in a clown car, and that was pretty much the vehicle of choice for "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo."

Felicia Day (Joss Whedon stuff, geek cred) guest-starred as Charlie, a lesbian computer hacker who starts counting the days until the next Comic-Con the day after Comic-Con ends. Because she was an employee of Richard Roman Enterprises who was also handy with a keyboard and mouse, Sam and Dean tasked her with grabbing confidential files from Roman's computer. And because Sam and Dean's faces are painted on the back of all Leviathans' eyeballs, Charlie had to go in solo with Sam and Dean barking orders to her about how to be a thief. That provided plenty of comedy, particularly when Dean played Cyrano de Bergerac and told Charlie how to flirt with the male security guard to get into Roman's office. And you know what? Dean was gooooood at it.

The action on the screen was heightened by occasional 24- and Ocean's 11-style presentation, with the screen divvied up into smaller rectangles following Sam and Dean in one, Charlie in another, and whatever obstacle was in her way in yet another. It's a device that could have been painfully annoying, but I had already given up on taking the episode seriously, so it actually helped amplify the fun factor. The fact that this style of editing—usually reserved for blockbusters or serious heist flicks—involved a geeky chick who had no business snooping around a secured building made it all the more silly.

Eventually Charlie intercepted an email to Dick Roman regarding an important package that was essential to his master plan of turning us all into his personal buffet, and Sam and Dean got to do some caper-ing at the airport to pick it up before Dick Roman got his hands on it. I don't know how they managed to get to the airport, steal baggage handler uniforms, clear security, and make a Borax bomb in just over an hour, but one rule of television is that things don't have to make sense once you get to Season 7. Just churn it out. The Winchester bros nicked the package, which turned out to be a suitcase full of magical clay dug up in Iran. We don't know what the importance of it is, but Dick Roman sure is pissed off that he doesn't have it, so I'd guess Sam and Dean are going to hang on to it for a bit longer.

On her way out of the building, Charlie ran into a bit of trouble with Dick and his bodyguards, and that's when Bobby (who ghost-hitchhiked along by putting his flask in Charlie's bag) stepped up and ghost-pushed everyone all over the place. Bobby's still a little upset over being shot and killed by Dick Roman, so he's channeling that rage into ghost-pushing, which appears to be damned effective. The only problem with this is that Sam and Dean think Bobby isn't really in control, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone because at least one main character in Supernatural has to be in danger of being completely out of control and a danger to society at all times. Your turn, Bobby! Go nuts!

"The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" also had the distinction of cramming as many geek-culture references (Veronica Mars! Lord of the Rings! Star Wars! Star Trek! Harry Potter!) into an hour as possible. I'm sure there are people out there who clapped their hands when Sam and Charlie talked about Harry Potter or Charlie showed off another "cool" T-shirt or bobblehead, but the sheer volume of the shout-outs tiptoed into pandering and condescension territory. We get it, Supernatural. Charlie is a geek, and we're supposed to be geeks too. It's kind of like when I watch a beer commercial and the commercial thinks it knows me and tries to get me to love it by saying things it thinks I want to hear. Or like when your cool dad comes out in flip-flops and shorts and says, "The new Radiohead album is wicked sick, yo!" We know when things aren't genuine, and this week, Supernatural was trying to be cool dad.

But for the most part, "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" worked as a fun piece of mindless entertainment, and Supernatural made great strides in embracing the silliness of the Leviathan story. It should be all Leviathans until the end of the season, so let's hope the writers can keep things light.

Super-note-urals

– HACKERS BE HACKING! I love Hollywood's vision of hackers.

– Charlie's entrance to "Walking on Sunshine" was both amazing and horrible.

– A Tim Tebow reference? On Supernatural?

– Dean: "Planet-wide value meal. We're the meat."

– Bobby's recap of the Leviathan storyline was pretty hilarious in that it reminded me of the haunted sandwiches and secret experiments and cancer-curing. And the fact that it was told by a ghost made it even crazier. Seriously, this is the storyline of Season 7. Rich white-guy monsters want to fatten us up for Leviathan Thanksgiving.

– Sorry for the tardiness of these articles, but with Fringe, Supernatural, and Game of Thrones all airing between Friday and Monday, I'm pretty much slammed to the max.

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
"The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" had its charming moments, but needed more Sam and Dean at the forefront. I'm also not convinced I like Bobby tagging along as a ghost yet. The Leviathan storyline is finally back, and if the rest of the episodes follow the tone of this episode, it might even be tolerable!

1. "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie" (Episode 14)
Sam and Dean investigated mysterious deaths around a kid's pizza-and-games party house. Unicorns farting rainbows, ball pit sharks spraying blood, and octo-vamps giving fatal hickeys made this a fun episode.

2. "Party On, Garth" (Episode 18)
A Japanese ghost can only be seen by drunks, Garth returns, and Mr. Fizzles the sock puppet! But we finally learn the truth about what Bobby is up to in the afterlife.

3. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)
A pair of witches needed some couples counseling in a gory fun-fest that guest-starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters.

4. "Death's Door" (Episode 10)
Bobby fought for his life and delved into his past as he tried to deliver a message to Sam and Dean from beyond the plane of the living.

5. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)
More standalone fun as the brothers investigated murders in a town full of psychics.

6. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

7. "Repo Man" (Episode 15)
The brothers visited a man they saved from a murderous demon four years ago, and Lucifer blabbed Sam's ear off.

8. "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" (Episode 20)
Sam and Dean got a lesbian hacker to sift through Dick Roman's emails and Bobby ghost-pushed a lot of people.

9. "Born-Again Identity" (Episode 17)
Sam ended up in a mental hospital after too many chats with mind-Satan, and Castiel returned to smite and then get left behind.

10. "Adventures in Babysitting" (Episode 11)
Sam and Dean coped with Bobby's death and met a fellow hunter's young daughter.

11. "Out With the Old" (Episode 16)
A tale of cursed ballerina slippers became a story about a Leviathan real estate agent.

12. "Of Grave Importance" (Episode 19)
Sam and Dean headed to a haunted house, where Bobby learned a thing or two about ghosts and finally became visible to Sam and Dean.

13. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)
Two Leviathans disguised themselves as Sam and Dean and took off on a cross-country shootin' spree!

14. "The Slice Girls" (Episode 13)
Dean had a one-night stand with an Amazonian lady, and Sam took Dean's Daddy card away.

15. "Hello, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

16. "Time After Time" (Episode 12)
Dean traveled back to 1944 and battled the God of Time with Eliot Ness.

17. "How To Win Friends And Influence Monsters" (Episode 9)
Hyperadrenalized cannibals and stoner sandwiches! Dick Roman's plan was sort of unveiled! And Bobby got shot!

18. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

19. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)
Dean went on trial before Osiris because of the guilt he carries. Jo came back to blow him up!

20. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Too. Much. Becky. Larson.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Staff
Dick Roman is Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. This ep was good. Considering Season 7 has been a little better than average.
I'm surprised no one picked up on the mention of "Mr. Trump" in the letter Roman was reading. I think either the plane or the landing strip was from him. Which brings me to the one problem I have with hating this season. It has all the flaws you mention, but they are at least partially set off by the political commentary that runs through the whole season. From the targets of Castiel's Rampage through the parties Roman supports, through several obvious comments about the 1%, and the whole tenor of the Roman plan, this is pure left-wing populism, and it's about time to see it on tv again. (Even the name "Leviathan" makes little sense as the Biblical reference, but if you think Hobbes -- not the Tiger, the political philosopher -- it's less bizarre.) As for Charlie, I hope this isn't the last time we see her. After all, somebody needs to be their research hub if Bobby is not returning to full humanity. (Of course there is the possibility hinted about in Born-Again Identity -- remember the universe when you hear what seems to be a cliche -- but that would be daring even for these guys.) Felicia Day can steal any show she's on, and deserves a steady gig. (That is my brain talking, though other parts are cheering me on.)
I thought Charlie's entrance to "Walking on Sunshine" was amazingly cool!
I've enjoyed almost everything about season 7. I will say that the episode "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" was just cringe worthy and possibly the worst episode of Supernatural every, but I still really like the title.
I thought this was ok, but I did think it was a pretty obvious way to use Felicia Day. They just wrote her character like every other character she has ever played. I bet they specifically wrote it for her too.

As for the clay, wtf? Did anyone else think maybe that was some sort of magic God playdoh like what he used to make humans or something. (I'm not really christian, so I'm working off some paraphrasing, so maybe there was no clay in the bible and I'm crazy).
This episode was alright. The geekiness was overdone -- although that may have more to do with me not being a geek -- but I quite liked Felicia Day. Charming, in a geeky way, as I guess she always is.

Not sure how I feel about the Leviathans. On the one hand, I kind of like a bad guy who's opposed to all other beings, including other bad guys. They're also seemingly stronger and more powerful than other baddies. But on the other hand, it's as if this strength makes them more lame, mainly because the writers can't think of a better way for them to be "flawed".
"But if Supernatural is going to go down this road, it may as well do it in a clown car..."

Ha! That's good stuff. When you actually say out loud the premise of season 7...it is kind of clown car'esque...which is okay so long as the show doesn't presume it's riding in a stretched limo. Which is isn't, so it's all good...umm...right?
like this episode for dick roman I like that guy too bad the Levi's took a huge back seat in this season
I think this was one of the best of the season. At least, this one made me not want to claw my eyes out, like the previous few did.
I cannot remember, but was the mother of purgatory trying to release all the monsters before she was killed?
I thought that this episode was quite good. It's the first episode dependant on the leviathan storyline that I've enjoyed. Felicia Day was fantastic as always, and the revealing of Dick's plans was good, but I still can't shake the whole leviathan thing. They're way too overpowered and I feel like they're just doing what most sci-fi shows do when they're dragging on - up the stakes. Supernatural has always been an end of the world show, but maybe next time you don't have to make the bad guys worse than before. Swan Song was a perfect time to end the series, they'd just beaten the devil (you can't really one-up that), Sam got a fairly noble death, and Dean got to live out the life he deserves. Any Supernatural episode like this I get is nice, but I would have preferred to have it end with five seasons of solid awesomeness and a departure to cult heaven.
Felicia Day is probably best known lately for Eureka, although it looks as if she may have left that show (but it's ending anyways). I don't see a Charlie spin-off working in the same universe though.

Sam and Dean were working on the bomb in the truck. However, they filled up two jars with borax but then used a plastic bottle for the bomb so it's a little inconsistent. Swiping the uniforms wouldn't have been that difficult provided they could get into the locker rooms without being seen. The security issue wouldn't be a problem if it was a small local airport and not a major one. It would make sense since it would allow the Leviathans to fly without having to worry about getting caught by security.

Am I the only one who thought it was weird that Charlie waited until the door to the elevator was closed before starting dancing like a lunatic... and yet the elevator is made of glass? XD
I'd go for a Felicia Day/Supernatural spinoff in the likes of "The Lone Gunmen" (13 ep). Have Frank being still alive, or Felicia being a drifter like Bruce banner teaming up with some witchfolk.
Looking at all those bad eps, all I can say is cancel the show or bring on the 13 ep final season, cause this season sucked out loud. the only good was because of its guest stars.
I don't understand the appeal of Felicia Day!! someone help me out please because she seems to be object of geek crushes all over the place.

Not a bad episode, I'm glad they dealt with the Bobby issue some more and that we FINALLY got to know Dick's plan to rule the world. Unfortunately it's been done (can you say "the entire plot of V"?- which was remade so that's a thrice-used plot line!).

I'm happy to see the trio back together but we need Cass to make things complete. Cass is probably my favorite character on the show - almost tied with Dean - and I miss him lots. What I really miss is all the clever original seasonal big-bads (angels, demons, yellow-eyes). Remember that season where Dean went to hell and came back? That was really cool and unexpected. Or when Lilith was the creepiest little girl imaginable? awesome.
The appeal of Felicia Day is she is a legit geek chick, who is very funny and very very charming.
The show is still bad...

What I just couldn't buy:

Dick not bothering to have a leviathan guarding his office...A leviathan would have been immune to Charlie's flirting, and just would make sense for someone who is so (rightfully) paranoid. Paranoid enough to have his computer on a separate network. *shrug*

So Sam and Dean now have the super-kill-death-ray for leviathans (or at least that's my guess as to what it is). Glad Dick dug it up for them. I sort of get wanting to have the only thing that can kill you in your own possession...sort of...it just feels to me that if the only thing that can kill you is so well hidden that you have to do a series of archaeological digs it's PROBABLY safer if you just leave it there. At least until you've executed your end game and "dumbified" the population.

The special effects for the leviathans are SO bad and they're such a lame super evil creature...ugh. I want to be done with this show at the end of this season, but there's a new show runner next season. I doubt it can be this bad....but should I even bother?
You're not actually supposed to buy any of it - rewatch The French Mistake, you'll see - you're just supposed to enjoy it, and I do...
I won't watch another episode from after the point the show went bad as justification for watching that show. The show should be legitimately good, it isn't and it hasn't been in nearly 2 seasons now. I'd enjoy it if it was good, but it's not.
Do we know that the leviathan would have been immune to Charlie's flirting? Do we know that they have no real feelings?
Yes. Yes we do.
Sheesh, Tim. Some of us do five 2,000-word recaps in a weekend. You can handle three reviews. :) But seriously... I don't know. I feel like I'm watching the Simpsons Spinoff Special, Supernatural style. We got Bobby the Ghost, we got Garth the Hunter, we got Charlie the computer geek who switches identities every few months (per her last lines of dialogue). It feels like they're covering their bases if they don't get picked up for Season 8, so they have a couple of spinoffs in the wings. Although you'd think they would have learned after Ghostfacers came and went.
I personally did enjoy the episode, so did my bf but he did not like Felicia Day in it, he felt the "nerdiness" thing was kinda overdone. I agree a little but I still liked it. I thought Charlie was kinda whiny and bitchy though like telling them at the end "don't ever contact me again" I mean wtf shes already on the levithian hit lit she might as well continue to help Sam and Dean oh I dont know...save the world!? I mean so what shes just gunna go back to living her everyday hacker life and act like she knows nothing... kinda lame. It was funny that they flashed back to those other moments about the levithians it made me think about it and I was like wow so they had only like 3 other episodes this season that revolved around the main storyline? That just proves its kind of a stinker plotline.... Lets move on to the next thing shall we? My boyfriend and I are holding out hope for God turning up! Oh yeah and I think the boys were real quick to start bitching about Bobby! I mean yeah I get it they don't want to see him go all ghost crazy but man you'd think they be a bit happier (not to mention grateful as he did it to stay with them and help them save the freakin' world) a least for a little while before they're practically already having meetings about ghost-ganking Bobby! IMO..
So, yes, they basically hired Felicia Day to be Felicia Day (except the lesbian bit), and ever since a month ago when she launched her geekandsundry channel on youtube (cable is obsolete, etc) my fandom has turned into addiction. This helped me get my fix and it was appreciated because they *spoilered* *spoiler* *spoiler* Eureka last week *also, spoiler*. I really can't evaluate this episode in an unbiased way, because I am a geek and she is geek royalty. They may have used her to pander, but she doesn't pander herself. She really is that geeky. She makes geeky things because she plays, watches, and reads geeky things herself. So, they basically didn't so much hire Felicia Day the actress as Felicia Day the personality. Maybe they thought it would bring back some of the geek audience they've lost.
Seriously. Everything I have seen her in she is the exact same annoying twit.
loved it. Especially after coming off last weeks ep. of Eureka.
That was so depressing! Poor Fargo.
All season I've been pulling my hairs out at every time they show a leviathan for primarily two reasons. One, Leviathans are lame, they make horrible monsters, and let's accept it they are nowhere in the same league as our lovable monsters like Azazel, Lilith, Lucifer, Crowley or for that matter an over-zealous Castiel. Two, They are so powerful that it is beyond human comprehension, so when Sam & Dean throw some cleaning product at them and they get burned is just pathetic, but not even as pathetic as some hardened babylonian red 'Goo' might be the answer to all of humanity's prayer (not that we know the world is going to end again and we should pray).

Supernatural is my favorite show and I have loved it over all seasons, even during the angelic civil war because the character's were likeable and actually making the story interesting. I am just hoping that they kill off leviathans in any way possible and be done with this season, so I can look forward to seeing the next season for some badassery.

I agree with your first paragraph.
A. Don't Feel Rushed

B. The episode was absolutely awesome and fantastic!

C. I loved learning what Dick was up to and seeing Bobby in action

D. Felicia Day was awesome as were all the hilarious comedic scenes and lines

E. I love this show!
You must work for the CW.
I'm one of those people who know who Felicia Day is but never seen her on anything except the Joss Whedon musical. I honestly thought they were going to make her character like Lisbeth from the Dragon Tattoo. You know someone who was extremely assertive and sly, but instead we get a super geeky character. Oh well, I guess I was expecting too much. The only thing I liked about this episode is that it is progressing the leviathan story but that is all.
Hey, no hating on the Tebow reference. I don't even watch football, but it made me laugh.

But yeah I can't say for sure if I liked this episode. It was fun and breezy, but lately I've been missing the serious plot lines of seasons past when every episode had some major turn of events, even if the whole thing was a goofy spoof in the end (e.g. Changing Channels). Maybe I'm just being a nostalgic Supernatural fangirl, but I'm starting to wish that Supernatural had ended on the high note that was Swan Song. On a side note, Felicia Day was hilarious, as always.
I gotta say, I wasn't loving this episode... Mainly, it was Felicia Day. I'm definitely not a fan of hers, but it's like writers weren't even trying to make her into a believable character. It was as if they told her she would be starring as herself in the episode, just with a fake name. There was no differentiating between Charlie and Felicia in real life. I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch a show, a like an actor to, I dunno... ACT. That being said, James Patrick Stuart earned some serious kudos, because Dick was just dripping -yes, I actually just typed that- with greasy slime ball charm you come to expect from evil monster businessmen. As Jensen made abundantly clear during a con in Rome, just because the actors know the material is shit doesn't mean they can't act the hell out of it. And James did just that. I think this episode should be just a little more further down than it is but hey... Jagger said it best, you can't always get what you want.
I really enjoyed this episode. I agree the storyline is kinda just ridiculous, but they're doing it well-- keeping it light and entertaining. The Veronica Mars reference probably made the episode for me, but Felicia Day did a great job, and there were plenty of good moments to outweigh the "wtf is this crap" moments. lol
I have to agree with you Tim. I don't know whether to like it or hate it. It was funny, it was original for the most part, it had Felicia Day who is quirky and fun in a natural kind of way. But at the same time I could only keep thinking that this is part of the build up to the season finale. Really?! I see that they are wrapping up this ludicrous storyline that this season has resulted in. And for that I am appreciative. But at the same time they are doing it in such a mundane kind of way that I am not sure what to think about it. They spent half the season, and all of their best episodes on other things. I am sure they are just looking to wrap this up. But a rock from Iran? is it a rock? Is it Clay? Is it some type of ore that can be forged into a weapon? Who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough.

Personally I would have them focus on the conflict between Sam and Dean and Bobby. I think that is a way more interesting plot than going after Dick. I wish it would be expanded on more than just end of the episode asides.
I thought it was the best episode of the season!!!