Supernatural: Kill All Monsters! (Except the Nice Ones?)

After kicking off Season 7 with two heavily serialized, mythology-building episodes Supernatural's third episode ventured into case-of-the-week territory. And it was... fine. Many of Supernatural's standalone episodes have been among the series' best, but aside from its somewhat shocking ending, I don't think "The Girl Next Door" will remain in my memory bank for too long.

The cliffhanging events of last week's episode (Sam and Dean were headed to Monster Hospital! Bobby's place burned down!) were wrapped up quickly to make way for a tale of teenage love. Bobby helped spring a literally broken Dean and a mentally shaken Sam from the joint, immediately crushing any hopes that the episode would come to be known "Escape from Dr. Sexy MD's Human Buffet." There was some trickery involved on Supernatural's part, ending last week's episode by throwing Sam and Dean into the lair of this season's lieutenant bad guy and then pulling them out right away, but whatever. I'm not filing a formal complaint, I'm just not sure it was necessary.

Fast forward to three weeks later, where we found Bobby and Dean recuperating with some telenovelas and Sam occasionally bugging out. Can I just say that it's great to have the old Dean back? It's great to have the old Dean back. While out on a munchies run, Sam noticed a headline that reminded him of a case he worked on when he was but a teen—so he decided to up and take off without telling anyone. Oh, Sam! So smart, yet so dumb. Turns out he'd linked some specific murders to the girl he shared his first kiss with. Wait, what? Yes, what.

Through a series of flashbacks intercut with Sam in the present day, we found out he was hunting a Kitsune named Amy. A Kitsune is a monster that likes to snack on people's brains, and this Kitsune was hot. In fact, it was Jewel Staite, the other other cutie from Firefly. Young Amy once saved young Sam's life by stabbing her Kitsune mother (who was ready to kill Sam), and because of that, current Sam found himself in a bit of a quandary: "Do I kill her? She's a monster, but she's a nice monster (i.e. she's killed, but it was to save her son's life)." Sam ended up not killing Amy because of their history; she now has a kid, and she's feeding from cadavers she picks up while working as a mortician. So even though she's a monster, Sam let her off.

But you know who did kill her? Dean! Older bro went behind younger bro's back and stabbed her in the heart in what can only be described as utter defiance of Sam's wishes. This was precisely the moment when "The Girl Next Door" got a lot better. It's was a big step for Dean to take, and it's going to come back in a big way at some point in the season, at which point it will surely create one of those trademark hubbubs between the two. It also raises an interesting question: Who is in the right here: Sam and his forgiving heart, or Dean and his commitment to being a hunter of all things that threaten the world? I'm caught in the middle here, guys. I suppose all decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis, but this was a tricky case. How could anyone guarantee that Amy wouldn't kill again? That's what monsters do. But she did save Sam's life, and she seemed sincere. Where do you all stand on this issue? If I were forced to choose a side, I'd pick Dean's: Rules are rules are rules, no exceptions. Because if you let one monster live, next thing you know you're letting others off the hook as long as they swear they won't kill again. Better double-check to see if their fingers are crossed.

"The Girl Next Door" further developed some season-long bits as well. Apparently the Leviathans are a bit more restricted than other supernatural beings, in that they must rely on normal human means of investigation—like tracking credit card charges to find the Winchesters (nice recall of "Mistress Magda," by the way). I'm on board with this. It humanizes the storyline just enough, and the idea of an underground network of Leviathans who still have human day jobs offers up lots of possibilities.

Not the best episode, but not the worst, either. The most important thing is the light tone of Supernatural is still intact, and the season does not seem to be going off the rails at all.

Notes:
Jensen Ackles directed this episode, his first since "Weekend at Bobby's," which was an impressive directorial debut. I'd forgotten this fact going into the episode, and was immediately wowed by the pre-credit sequence in the hospital. Then Jensen's name popped up and I was all like, "Damn, this dude has skills." He's got a fallback career if he ever loses that handsome mug of his.

– I don't watch Dr. Who, but I noticed some people taking exception to the "Amy Pond" reference on another website. Why?

– Will Amy's son get his revenge on Jensen? Maybe sometime in Season 9?

– I always love Supernatural's references to Ackles' and Jared Padalecki's films. This time we got Ackles' My Bloody Valentine 3D. Anyone see it? Is it any good? It's a rom-com, right? Yes, I'm joking about the rom-com bit.

– Did anyone else think of Game of Thrones' Khal Drogo and Viserys when the Leviathan poured the nacho cheese over that guy's head? There's your golden crown!

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
It looks like there's an ominous theme so far... episodes are getting worse as the season goes on. Let's hope the trend doesn't continue.

1. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

2. "Hell, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

3. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Oct 21, 2011
You really should watch Doctor Who. At least the new series. I'm not a sci fi fan, but I really like it. And I didn't take offense, I just laughed. I love it when shows "Cross" like that...
Oct 18, 2011
The Amy Pond Doctor Who reference was awesome! Giggles ensued. As for the Game of Thrones pouring comparison... I yelled out Golden Cheese Crown!

This episode was good, and directly BEAUTIFULLY by Mr. Ackles.
Oct 12, 2011
Im sure someone mentioned it before (kinda lost track with all the comments), but the leviathans look like venom from spiderman when they feed, don`t you think?
Oct 12, 2011
Dean needs to kill Sam..

Sam has killed just as many as Amy or more. From what Dean said was the reason for killing Amy, Dean needs to kill Sam.

Why is Sam still alive? Also why didn't Dean let the hunter who said the same thing Dean just said kill Sam?

As a matter of fact, they better not bring Castle back, as he needed to die as well from what Dean has said. He killed ALOT more people than Amy did
Oct 12, 2011
It was an excellent episode. First, while it's true that Dean should have killed the son, I think the writers weren't sure how to deal with Dean killing a kid. The usually angry public would have been in an uproar if he had killed the son. Second, the cliffhanger was a bit unnecessary but it did get me thinking who they would get out of it. It did it's job and it was finished. Supernatural is a great story and I'll watch it til it ends.
Oct 12, 2011
there is no such thing as black or white spots!

Oct 11, 2011
I'm trying to get into this show and I really was with the first episode but with this episode i'm not sure if I want to. First you make a "Docto Who" reference which is a show about a monster hunter who wont actually kill monsters. Then you kill the monster that was killing for her son and leave the son alone. I think there just trying to set up a character for later on. But most likely they will kill the son in a few years which I kinda hope by then that Sam will shoot Dean for being a Dumba**
Oct 11, 2011
Firefly is a bit of an old reference now. I think more would recognize Jewel Staite from Stargate: Atlantis.
Oct 11, 2011
I didn't care much for this episode. I've realized that many of the characters on Supernatural operate in a morally gray area, even when they believe they are doing the right thing someone else can have a different interpretation of their actions. That said, I found Dean's actions to be questionable, not the fact that he killed the monster but the fact that he lied about his plan to do so. I found that to be out of character.

Also, why did they end on the cliffhanger about the hospital if that entire storyline would be wrapped up before the title card showed? That was a bit strange as well.
Oct 11, 2011
I actually thought and secretly chuckled at "AMY POND" because it was one of those coincidences I didn't expect, Amy Pond isn't a common name in my book so hearing it the day before I watch Doctor Who... was that a self promo lmao
Oct 11, 2011
Is there a link to previous seasons power rankings?
Oct 10, 2011
They shouldn't have killed Jewel Staite, just because of her out-of-this-world cuteness.
Aug 22, 2012
I'm with you doctor, how could he kill someone as cute as Jewel.
Oct 10, 2011
Well I'll certainly give you that. I wish she had played a less um "killable" character.
Oct 10, 2011
Good on Dean, somebody had to man up and stab the murderer.
Oct 10, 2011
I don't like Dean very much after this episode - not trusting Sam is one thing, going after monster he let live behind Sam's back is another. I think that Sam will be very pissed when he finds out, because he specifically ask Dean to TRUST HIM, not Amy. Oh Dean, you're gonna regret this decision....
Oct 11, 2011
When you think about it, Dean has every right to doubt Sam. How many times has Sam told Dean "trust me" and then betray Dean? While the brothers are definitely getting back to the way they once were, Dean has to still remember that Sam chose Ruby over Dean and betrayed Dean on several other occasions. So is Dean really in the wrong for not trusting Sam here...the same Sam that seems to have a way with making bad decisions?
Oct 10, 2011
As for this episode, the teen performers were good. I don't think the issue is that it's Dean's approach vs. Sam's approach. Dean figures that Sam is still nuts from Lucifer's influence, and that his judgment can't be trusted. If Sam wants to spare Amy, is that because he wants to spare her, or because Lucifer wants Sam to keep her alive so she can wander around and kill more people? Dean went with the latter. I guess I'm not buying why Bobby is so comfortable with psycho-Sam just barely holding it together. He's never been one to be overly Polyanna-ish in the past.

Oh, and keep an eye out for the Batman:L Under the Red Hood t-shirt on the convenience store clerk.
Oct 10, 2011
I suppose you could argue that if the Winchesters know who Amy Pond is, then they watch Doctor Who. Which means that they should be wondering why Canton Delaware looks like Crowley. But you could say that about any show. Stargate made numerous Star Trek jokes but never seem to recognize that half their co-workers looked like people who had been on that show. "Why does our IAD head look just like the holographic doctor?"
Oct 10, 2011
Found this episode a bit dull except for the plot twist near the end.
Oct 10, 2011
It highlights one of the shows major ethical and moral dilemmas: How du you judge humans vs. human monsters? How do you deal with "evil"/"criminal" monsters?

Cause the fact is, there IS no way to punish the monsters except killing them - there are no convenient monster-jails, no magic bottle or geas or such to punish/control them.

And then you have our "darling" boys, who've gone darkside on occasion, especially Sam. He's hurt people, probably killed, while under the influence of demon blood - and that's just if you choose to drop all the horrible stuff he did when he didn't have his soul.

Yet Dean chooses to forgive him - or at least let him live - again and again.

I think it just comes down to the fact that he probably feels that he SHOULD have killed Sam at some point, before he released Lucifer for example, or before he went around killing people without a soul. He's realised that he's just not capable of killing his own brother, but he can take care of everything else that needs stopping.

And so in some way Amy was a substitute for Sam, as in "I can't stop him, and it's going to come back and bite me in the ass when he flips AGAIN, but I CAN stop you".

I think that Dean isn't questioning IF but WHEN Sam is going to flip, and that he really doesn't trust him. But he's also too tired to care, and resigned to the fact that he'll never be able to STOP stuff from happening to his brother, just stuck with reacting after the fact. And some day, it won't be enough.

Cause Murphy just LOVES the Winchesters.
Oct 10, 2011
Personally, I can understand why Dean let the kid go. Just because his mother -played poorly by the always horrible Jewel Staite- was feeding him brains didn't make him a killer. Dean isn't the type to kill an innocent person. I see people keep bringing up Madison, who killed herself in the end, and Dean was actually torn over that issue. Because she was a victim of something and it wasn't her fault. But she'd killed people, so that's why Dean knew she had to die. Lenore and the others in the vampire coven hadn't killed in years but Dean thought they had. Once he learned the truth, though he was still iffy about it, he agreed to let them go. Hence why letting an innocent kid go free... With an ultimatum, of course. It was a very Kill Bill moment and well played at that. The kid may be a monster but an innocent one nonetheless and Dean is a very black-or-white kind of guy. The episode definitely wasn't as great as the first two it's still laying down the groundwork and that can always be a bit bumpy. I did love the 'My Bloodiest Valentine' commercial and the crowned-clerk wearing the 'Batman: Under the Red Hood' shirt. Not one of Jensen's best roles, the Red Hood, but it was a wonderful nod nonetheless.
Oct 10, 2011
Sam and the show has lost it's marbles.

It's not supposed to be a soap opera. What's with all these sympathetic monsters all the time?

They are hunters, they kill monsters. End of story.

Was good to see Dean going back to his old Season 1-3 bad @ss hunter self, and doing the job.
Nov 19, 2011
The problem is, that's not the story. Life isn't that simple. Amy killed scum just like Dean and Sam kill scum. Who is he to judge? The Winchesters have gotten SO self-righteous it's unbelievable... look at the way they treated Castiel, when they'd made deals with Crowley themselves. Dean out-and-out murdered an innocent person in my eyes this episode.
Oct 10, 2011
I have to go with Dean on this. Plus Dean gave Jacob a small chance at a normal life. If plotting revenge is a normal life. As for My Bloody Valentine 3D... I got this on DVD and it came with 4 pairs of 3D glasses. The old style red and green ones from the '80's when they would show something like Attack of the Giant Ants on a Saturday afternoon TV. The movie was not that bad by the way. 3 and a half stars out of five.
Oct 10, 2011
Dean didn't kill Amy just because she was a monster, he did it because she was a monster AND had killed people. Her son had never killed anyone. So by Dean's logic, he had no beef with the kid. And also, the kid promised that Dean was the only person he ever would kill. So Dean was like "Fair enough." So he stopped/punished one killer, and made sure that her son would only ever be after him. And he gave the kid the chance to live a "normal" life.
Nov 19, 2011
What did he punish Amy for? Dean kills bad people too, just like she does. If someone kills Dean at this point, he has it coming too I guess.
Oct 10, 2011
totally sided with the Dean, in fact I always side with Dean. he shoulda killed the tiny monster too though. That woulda been hardcore.
Oct 10, 2011
I hated this episode. There is just an unflinching feeling inside me that Supernatural is going downhill and this episode confirms it. Dean is now an unlikeable character in my eyes. They let the vampires go who didn't feed on humans and there were numerous times when we knew Dean would never kill Sam if he went darkside. Somehow this is an exception? Someone getting by the only way they can? Plus she was killing scumbags. It just makes no sense to me and has ruined Dean's character for me. Dean has always been my favourite but now Sam is more and more the better man.
Nov 19, 2011
I was very upset after watching this episode last night and am still upset about it today. But that makes it a GOOD episode, because it's haunting me! You're absolutely right about there being no difference between what Amy did and what Sam and Dean do.
Oct 10, 2011
This is the first episode that I gave a really low score. I don't agree that he killed the mother so that the son can be orphaned. Think of all the juvenile delinquents right now in the real world. Killing off Castiel and then having poor Jensen Ackles direct this terrible episode were just bad. I guess that this could be the last season for Supernatural.
Oct 10, 2011
As you said, the episode wasn't great but it wasn't bad, and if it wasn't for the ending, I was gonna go meh, and just watch an old S5 or 4 episode. But the ending, what Dean did, wow. Reminds me of how he acted after John's death - Bloodlust. I mean yes rules are rules but come on, Dean let things slip away before, the whole losing Cas, and before that Lisa and Ben, its getting to him, its not only a trust thing or just another monster hunt.. This is going to be epic when turns out to bite him, as usual.. BUT, our old Dean is back, that required a happy dance I did it when I was watching lol, we didn't hear PIE in a while, it was just like old times.

Jensen kicked as*es on that ep, great job, and even better than S6 ep.. He acted and directed and it turned out awesome. As for Amy's kid, that part was just like in Kill Bill, or its just me? Humm.., coming back, he won't be the first monster after Dean, but whatever that kid turns out to be, its on Dean's hands.

RIGHT? Right? Pouring the hot cheese on the dude from the shop did remind me of the scene in GOT, and it shocked me as much, - don't think that was just there, it meant to be there, I guess. Loved it though, I won't each cheese again, but... loved it.
Oct 10, 2011
I found this episode to be really intriguing and it helps a lot that it was directed by Jensen Ackles because who knows the characters better than the two Winchesters...well maybe Eric Kripske. I found myself not liking Dean for his defiance of Sam, I guess Amy's sincerity didn't just capture Sam's feelings, lol. But anyone who has watched shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel know that not all monsters are monsters, its just another form of prejudice. Like you said she killed for her son, but was using another way on a daily basis. Now I do feel she should have paid for her killing in some way, but maybe not death.

My Bloody Valentine 3D was one of the few films that did a great job at recapturing the greatness of the original while having its own greatness(let's face it the original lagged a lot). I'd recommend seeing it.
Oct 10, 2011
I think that killing on a general principle is sets a dangerous precedent. It is assuming guilt before proving it. It's like saying we should lock all criminals up for life because all criminals are just going to commit crime again and are a danger to society. Or all drug addicts. Or all black people or all Jews or all white folks. Its a sweeping general statement, which while made to protect, ends up harming.

Especially in light of his inability to kill the kid. If Dean truly believed it, he'd have killed the kid. Because a monster is a monster, no matter what. Food is food, the Kitsune are people except they are also addicted to brains.

In fifty years, when we can clone pituitarie glands and Kitsune never have to kill again...then what? Do we kill them anyway because they are dirty monster people and don't deserve to live just on principle? There's nothing says that the Kitsune are breaking the world some how. They just preying on humans. Which is not good (being human myself, I am against it) but is not evil either. We eat cows, in some cultures, we eat other people. At least the Kitsune have a good reason for it. The girl was trying to exist without killing humans and except for one time when she needed a fresh brain, she had succeeded. The...more just answer would have been to try and figure out some way to help her. Or perhaps give her an encouraging ultimatum. "Eat live meat again and I'll be back to kill you." so she knows that she's on the radar.

I dunno. It's a tough call, and given Dean's black and white point of view I understand that as well...though...why has dean not killed his blood drinking brother yet? Or that werewolf they let go? Or the vampire coven? Little hypocritical there Dean.
Oct 10, 2011
I liked it. It was surely not the best, but it kinda referenced back to previous seasons. A couple of years ago Sam was willing to let a coven of vampires go because they were nice. And Dean was like "Let's kill them because they abducted you." I thought this was similar to that situation, which is good because in the first season we could clearly see how different Sam and Dean were since Sam didn't want to hunt, and now he has given up on the idea of the "apple pie life", and this episode reminded us of how different they are. It also touched on the idea of Sam being a freak again, which was nice.
Oct 10, 2011
I did think about that episode too, cause I knew it was explored before. Mercedes McNab played a vampire who didn't wanna kill, but Dean didn't care
Oct 10, 2011
Err...this episode was okay. It was probably one of those I'd have to go back and watch again to fully, I don't know, absorb all the details. I did enjoy watching it and I don't want to hate on it because I am a Dean-girl and I love Jensen Ackles but I am a realist as well. Looking back and reading what people are saying, I have to agree, it wasn't the season's best.

The beginning made it feel like the prior episode's cliffhanger was pointless. I was looking forward to a bit of Hurt! Dean and Sam. Sam having the MRI and maybe a tense moment where one or both of the brothers are scheduled as lunch and have gone so far as to be on the operating table when other brother or Bobby bursts in, saves brother's organs and an escape in a cunning fashion ensues. Instead, it was rushed and quite lacking in explanations, such as Sam's healing from what had to be a nasty concussion AT LEAST being completely ignored. I prefer Dean over Sam but even I can appreciate well-thought out plotlines and a bit of chronology.

The flashbacks...I enjoyed them. Colin Ford and whoever played young Amy were simply excellent. I have to be honest, I don't think Jared or that Jewel lady really captured the same chemistry that their younger counterparts had. The adult relationship seemed...off to me. The case also unfolded very quickly, as did its revelations and conclusions and again, it just seemed rushed. The flashbacks were interjected, though at appropriate moments, quite quickly and it gave me no time to catch up with the prior dialogue before a childhood memory was being thrown at us. Still, I did like them and they were a comfort to watch after the messy Season 6 and the very dark (though truly outstanding!) first two episodes.

As for the ending...I think everyone else has pretty much said it. If the mother had to die, the child should have too, but I have to wonder, what would these forums be saying if Dean HAD killed the child? To be perfectly honest, I thought the ending seemed very out-of-character for Dean and that, for me, signalled poor writing. The less said about Sam vs Dean screentime/storylines last season, the better and I don't want to start another flame war about it (God knows I got into enough of them with the Sam girls in the Hellatus!) but I think the writers are trying to compensate for what we perceived to be the lack of Dean-centred stories and, I have to say, they are not dealing with it very well. Castiel's loss was not really touched on (something I'm appalled over), especially with regards to Dean, and now they are trying to make it seem as though he's really going off the rails about it, DESPITE it not really being acknowleged in the first place! Again, very bad writing and not what I, as a Dean girl want to see, particularly when it's just a recycling of Season 2 'Dean's-cut-up-about-John's-death-so-he's-gonna-be-a-cold-pyscho-hunter-and-kill-anything-with-the-word-'MONSTER'-in-the-description'.

By the same token, Sam's hell isn't really as...dramatic as I thought it would be. They really built it up in the Hellatus, to the point where Dean girls like me were sick of it but, now it's here, I've found it really anti-climatic. The first episode where he was seeing the meat on the hooks and there was fire and just everything people perceive hell to be, was brilliant and even as a Dean girl I really got into it and enjoyed it. Now, he just sort out zones out and there's no show of what he's seeing, just Bobby and Dean barking his name, which gets annoying after a minute or so. Where was Lucifer? I preferred the physical representation of hell (meet hooks, chains choking Sam from the ceiling) but Mark Pellegrino is brilliant and seeing Lucifer drift around in the background is better than watching Sam, literally, stare into space.

I've seen several interviews about this episode having been the one that establishes Dean's 'secret' for the season (I'm presuming it to be him killing Amy behind Sam's back) but even this lacked lustre. In the realm of Supernatural, there are worse things to be keeping a secret about, let's be honest. Besides, what happened to re-capturing the spirit of what made us all fall in love with the Winchester brothers in the first place?! In my opinion, some fresh blood needs to be introduced to that writing room, or the existing writers need to go back and re-watch their own show. Conclude Sam's hell-arc quickly and don't build up this 'Dean's secret' thing. Wipe the slate clean and introduce some new drama for the brothers to tackle together. At least, that's just my opinion.

Sorry, Jensen. I love you, I do, but you should have picked a different episode to direct. The first rotten apple of what looked to be one of the best seasons yet. Looking forward to next week's episode, though!
Oct 09, 2011
I think it was not reasonable that Dean killed Mommy Monster and not the kid. He is a Monster, and he will probably end up killing people (even more now that his sweet mommy was stone-cold killed by a hunter). Bad writing there.

Did like the episode in spite of that.

I did think about Drogo and Viserys during the nicely ripped-off "cheese coronation". I bet that was the intention of the writers.
Oct 09, 2011
I don't think Sam is even going to find out. I think Dean killing her in the end was just another way of letting viewers know Dean cannot trust Sam's judgement. Dean thinks he is right and Sam is always wrong. Normally this episode would have escalated into a famous Sam and Dean fight but because of Sam's weakened state of mind, Dean did this one behind his back.
Oct 09, 2011
"Will Amy's son get his revenge on Jensen? Maybe sometime in Season 9?" Doubt it, Jensen's an actor, but maybe he'll try to take revenge on Dean, the character...
Oct 09, 2011
Don't hate me for saying this, but letting the kid live after killing the mother was just the most stupid thing Dean could have done.

The boy is a kitsune. Like his mother. And he has to eat pituitary glands (Fringe, anyone?) to survive. So now that Dean killed the only person who was able to get him the food without killing anyone, he sends him out into the world. Seriously? Let them both live or kill them both, but this wasn't even a half-a**ed decision, it was clearly a really incredibly bad one!
Oct 09, 2011
Didn't like the characterization at the end. As said before, hypocritical. If he's man enough to kill the mother, he'd should be immediate and swift to kill the child, since he sees them as monsters, freaks that will kill because it's their nature. By allowing the boy to live, he sets himself in the same 'bad' judgement mode as his younger brother, and creates a situation where you have an angry/deadly child without his mother to tether.

I do find it freaky that a girl raised by a bad mother that she had to kill by her own hand pretty much was a good girl who drastically limited her bad nature, while the boy Dean left alive from a good monster mother, will probably be a bad child and a curse of Dean's judgement.

Great future conflict, bad immediate decision. Dean, punches Sam with a fist, punches Sam's trust with a knife. Or the reverese, as seen from Dean's perspective.
Oct 09, 2011
My biggest issue with this episode was Sam as a 15 year old hunter?? It was weird...

And doesn't it sorta go against the back-story we already know??? Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Not really... they've been raised to be hunters, from a very young age. I don't remember any back story contradicting that, quite the contrary. :/ And we didn't see Sam 'hunting' with his dad and brother, otherwise he would have been in the impala with them when Amy's mother noticed them. He was on research duty, technically. :)
Oct 09, 2011
I enjoyed the episode and the flashback element. I was surprised when Dean showed up and killed Amy. I got a very Kill Bill vibe from that scene. In that movie, the bride killed the little girls mother and than said that in a few years, if the girl still holds a grudge, she should come looking. Dean basically said the same thing to the kid here. Come look me up in a few years. But it does raise the question, could Amy have kept the boy on the right track and now that she is gone, will the boy become a monster?
Oct 09, 2011
Thank you!! I was trying (without success) to think of that.....great fight scene between Vivica A Fox and obviously, Uma (Jerry--UMA!!!)
Oct 09, 2011
I'm a bit confused Tim. You basically watch TV for a living and you don't watch one of the BEST fanstasy/sci-fi shows of all time. Seriously dude, you need to start watching Dr. Who. It really is some of the best writting. Just saying........

Supernatural. Ehh it's okay. I may watch this season.
Oct 09, 2011
The ending made no sense imo. I can agree with Dean killing Amy because she might kill in the next ten years (which might be true), but then the kid should die too.

Without his mom to harvest pituary from corpses, he's going to kill in the next days or weeks to survive!

Not a bad episode, but the ending ruined it for me!
Oct 09, 2011
I agree with your premise, but not your conclusion. The ending didn't ruin it for me. In fact, the opposite is true. and I think it was a conscience decision of the writers, to make Dean a hypocrite. So when Sam finds out, the situation gets that much more complicated....
Oct 09, 2011
But the kid has not killed yet. Dean is giving him a chance to make the right choice. If he fails to do that, then Dean will come for him just like he did his mother.
Oct 09, 2011
It's not even a choice; the boy HAS to kill in order to survive. His mother said it: she harvested the cadavers for them both, which basically means now that she's gone he will have to get the pituitary glands somewhere else. And since he's not a mortician take a wild guess what he's gonna do...
Oct 09, 2011
Also true. but Dean's still CHOOSING which monster to kill-- after saying it's all black & white. His decision is pretty grey..
Oct 09, 2011
So if it's so black & white, and all monsters need to die, why the hell didn't Dean kill the kid monster? He basically did the same thing that Sam did, decided to let a monster live. I guess stabbing a kid on tv is a no, no.
Oct 09, 2011
Dean did the right thing. BUT, he's also a huge hypocrite!

Just like Sam has a weakness for monsters, and believing they could change and be good (remember the old werewolf episode?)... Dean acts like he knows better and has clearer judgement, but then ends up doing the same thing as Sam. By killing the mother and not killing her son, he was rationalizing which monster has to die and which doesn't....and it's lame, but the reason is simple.. he couldn't do it. monster or not. he saw a little boy like Ben. And that's Dean's weakness...

Oct 09, 2011
I think the cake/pie thing was just a wee bit of fun. Though I could see it linked to Eddie Izzard's "Cake or die" joke or the internet's obsession to pie (which I've never understood).. But those are a little far fetched so I'll stick with it just being fun.

And I forgot. in my previous post.. My Bloody Valentine was an awful movie. Besides the weak script (and everything else), it was one of the first 3D movies and thus was filled with those annoying "something flies towards the viewer" moments.
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks, that's what I kinda thought, too.
Oct 09, 2011
Dean had to kill Amy Pond, why? Well there are many reasons but here are the main two. First, Sam has a weakness for monsters, how ironic was it that his first kiss was with a monster? Sam is worried about losing his humanity and becoming a monster so he continually tries to convince himself and Dean that some monsters are good monsters and deserve a chance. It's Sam's blind spot, his weakness. If she had been left to live, who knows that could have happened. Sam can't tell right from wrong sometimes if the monster isn't trying to kill him or Dean or Bobby at that second.

The second reason Amy had to die was a little demon named Ruby. Remember her? Dean wanted to kill her right off but she convinced Sam that she was good and Dean let her live and look where that got them. Sam got addicted to demon blood, he ended up letting Lucifer out of the cage, eventually had to go into the pit, go to hell and then came back, with no soul and now, is a complete and utter head case. So..if Dean had killed Ruby right off, none of that would have happened. Don't you think that's in his head? Amy Pond was just another Ruby waiting to happen. Sam had feelings for her, he would never have been able to have killed her no matter what. He knew she killed innocent people, even if it was for her kid, and he let her go. Dean always has always tried to keep it black and white, a monster should die. Sometimes Sam clouds his judgment but for the most part, he's been able to be consistent about it. As for the kid, I don't know why they let him let the boy go, maybe that is Dean's weakness, kids. He can't kill a kid, he's always a sucker for kids in fact. I think that Dean is to the point now of where he knows that they can't let anyone go, nice monsters are still monsters and they can't always fight who they are. And why tell Sam? So he can try and stop him from doing what was right? Sam stopped him from killing Ruby many times....and look what happened. He was right to do it behind Sam's back. I'm sure it'll come back to haunt Dean, it always does, but that's part of their relationship. Dean doing what he thinks is the best thing for Sam.
Oct 09, 2011
I believe that Dean did the right thing. Her child would get sick again and she would need to kill again. The rule has always been that once a monster has killed a human, the monster needs to be taken out. Sam couldn't do it because she saved his life. Dean didn't tell Sam because he didn't want to burden Sam with any more stuff. As his big brother, he took care of things.

What's up with the cake/pie thing? Sam says close enough, instead of oops, I forgot the pie/ or there wasn't any pie????
Oct 09, 2011
I both liked and disliked the ending. It's a great way to set up further storylines going into this season. But at the same time he killed Jewel Staite!! No one kills Jewel Staite and gets away with it! I'd much rather have her alive and come back as an ally to the Winchesters later on in the struggle against he leviathans, whom could be munching on monsters and humans alike. Thus forcing the WInchesters to trust a couple of monster in order to bring down the baddies, and in the process they learn it's not all black and white as they've believed so far.

On another note.. I've never been a fan of flashback episodes. I think it's lazy and convenient storytelling.
Go Dean! I am all for what he did
Oct 09, 2011
Not great but not bad either, a "ok" episode by the way!
Oct 09, 2011
I hated the end. I believe in second chances, and even when I can understand killing the girl, not after lying to Sam about trusting him. No, I am not happy at all with this episode or with Dean behavior
Oct 09, 2011
The ending is utterly ridiculous....Dean may be right in killing Amy on some level if he describes it only by saying that he only slays the monsters that harm human life...otherwise he should have killed the other monster in the room as well......and if that boy comes after dean without killing any human ever...How would he justify defending his life from him?
Oct 09, 2011
For the kid to survive, he will be killing people because he needs fresh meat. Eating dead people wasn't working for him.
Oct 11, 2011
We never really got the details - it may be that he got ill because he ate diseased meat, i.e. something that ended up in the morgue because of something that this breed of monster is susceptible to.
Oct 09, 2011
I think by killing Amy was bad if he didn`t agree with Sam he should had told Sam immediately. But when Dean killed her behind Sam`s back and prove that he dont trust Sam either. I think in the next episode will bring it because Sam has to defend from the god Osiris and surely this will come up.

For the Amy pond, yes it not the only one even the Leviathans remember Farscape it was the spaceship/creature.
Oct 09, 2011
I'm with u on the 1st part but are u seriously giving Farscape credit for creating the concept of the Leviathan? That's like saying they stole the lucifer character from little nicky.
Oct 11, 2011
Yes surely i gave the credit for Farscapefor the Leviathans they were the first to introduce the name so why is the reason you dont. Ok its a different creature by the sound of it but also Amy pond a human with a monster so the same concept.
you've got 3 missed calls from Lars Ulrich.....hahahahahaha

they've got the best jokes

and when Dean and Bobby watch the spanish soap at the beginning.

great show after 7 seasons!!!!!!!
Load More Comments