Supernatural: Meet the New Bobbys

[Big-time spoilers ahead if you haven't seen Friday's episode!]

Supernatural returned from its winter hiatus on Friday with "Adventures in Babysitting," answering the question of whether or not Bobby Singer (Jim Beaver) is dead or just nodded off in the hospital bed at the end of the midseason finale. Answer: He's dead. Until Sam or Dean dies (for real), Bobby's passing will be the series' biggest casualty. So why did the impact of his death feel so... blah?

Was his fate dragged out for too long? A cliffhanger gunshot, an entire episode with him lying in a hospital bed, and a full month-plus break with no definitive answer probably hurt the emotional impact of the death of the Winchesters' surrogate dad. Was the way he died an unfair send-off for such a grizzled badass? Bobby is the man, so I'm a bit ticked that he was offed by a stray gunshot when he was already in the getaway car. This is Bobby! He deserved to be sent to Hunter Heaven while killing a swarm of Leviathans or vampires or werekittens! Or blowing himself up along with a bunch of baddies via a homemade bomb he made out of potatoes! Or even by drinking himself to death. But to me, the biggest offense is that Bobby was killed by Dick Roman, Supernatural's most laughable bad guy ever. I wanted Bobby to get a proper hero's sendoff, and I don't think he did.

Anyway, after a "time passes" montage that showed us three weeks' worth of Sam and Dean being sad and trying to figure out the meaning of the numbers Bobby uttered, the series wasted little time in replacing Bobby. Added to the mix were Frank Devereaux, the basement weirdo we met a few episodes back, and Krissy, a teen girl whose hunter dad had gone missing, thus igniting the fuse on the monster-of-the-week case and giving the episode an even split between helping her out and using Frank to unlock the mystery of Bobby's numbers. It also separated Sam and Dean from each other for most of the hour, with Sam helpeing Krissy rescue her dad from a group of Vetalas and Dean investigating the numbers with Frank.

To be perfectly honest, neither of the storylines were particularly interesting. But I was intrigued by these two potentially recurring characters. It was kind of like having some friends of friends over for dinner unexpectedly. Krissy, who backs up her steely gaze with tons of sass, is a new version of a character we've seen countless times. But in the world of Supernatural, she's a decent fit, and her move to kill that she-bitch Vetala was sweet. Methinks the actress needs to settle into her character a bit more and the writers ought to lighten her up a bit, because it's Sam's job to be the resident brooder, not hers. Frank is no Bobby, but he was way more tolerable in his second episode than he was in his first. And he talked like Frank from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (or Danny DeVito in general). And he bore more than a passing resemblance to Fringe's Walter Bishop (LSD!). Adding new characters to a show like Supernatural is dangerous and difficult, but I'd give these two a satisfactory grade with plenty of room for improvement. I'm sure we'll see more of Frank. As for Krissy, maybe, maybe not.

In the end, with the Vetalas dead and more clues to the Leviathans unearthed, Sam and Dean drove off as they do at the end of almost every episode, and there was a long, lingering head-on shot of Dean smiling, or half-smiling, or attempting to smile. And it hearkened back to some advice Frank gave Dean: No matter how much shit you go through, the professional response is to put it behind you, smile, and do your job. That's the lifestyle. The question is, was that good advice? And how long can Dean fake it?

Notes:
– So, what was up with the missing beer early in the episode? The popular theory is that the ghost of Bobby is swiggin' the boys' suds. Is it an ode to Bobby, or something more? Or is Dean such a raging alcoholic that he can't remember when he pounds a beer?

– Dean and Frank as phone repairmen was kind of pointless, but damn funny.

– For once, I'd like to see mysterious numbers NOT be latitude and longitude coordinates. Who the heck uses latitude and longitude coordinates anymore anyway?

– I don't think I'm macho enough to prove to someone that I'm not a Leviathan by slicing my arm open. Tough guys! Couldn't they just sprinkle some borax on their skin?

– Jim Beaver may be gone from Supernatural (or maybe not?), but he'll be featured prominently on another one of my favorite shows, Justified.

– "I'm a fun guy. I'm actually awesome." - Dean

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
"Adventures in Babysitting" was good by virtue of it not really being bad. The story structure was a bit all over the place, but was any part of it really boring? No. Jensen Ackles is getting some good material in what is clearly a Dean-heavy season. A solid comeback from the winter break, but still not up to par with episodes from the show's early seasons.

1. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)
A pair of witches needed some couples counseling in a gory fun-fest that guest-starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters.

2. "Death's Door" (Episode 10)
Bobby fought for his life and delved into his past as he tried to deliver a message to Sam and Dean from beyond the plane of the living.

3. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)
More standalone fun as the brothers investigated murders in a town full of psychics.

4. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

5. "Adventures in Babysitting" (Episode 11)
Sam and Dean coped with Bobby's death and met a fellow hunter's young daughter.

6. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)
Two Leviathans disguised themselves as Sam and Dean and took off on a cross-country shootin' spree!

7. "Hello, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

8. "How To Win Friends And Influence Monsters" (Episode 9)
Hyperadrenalized cannibals and stoner sandwiches! Dick Roman's plan was sort of unveiled! And Bobby got shot!

9. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

10. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)
Dean went on trial before Osiris because of the guilt he carries. Jo came back to blow him up!

11. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Too. Much. Becky. Larson.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Bobby will be back! We've been given some great clues from the crew! 'What about Bobby?' http://thevoiceoftv.com/news-and-gossip/supernatural-poll-what-about-bobby/
For starters I can't believe anyone thought Bobby was still alive. Yes I loved Bobby and I was sad he was gone but it would've been worse for the show to tug at our heart strings and then go, oh wait forget all that emotion, Bobby lives!

As for the end scene with Dean, I didn't think that was smiling looked like he was trying not to cry to me. :S
I thought the sam marrying becky episode was hilarious! :D but yeah, i guess too much becky, huh? how i wish they would bring back the ghost facers lol

it's really sad coz first they got rid of castiel, then we don't get to see much of crowley, and now bobby's dead. or a ghost.
I already miss Bobby........... There isn't anyone else who can stand with the brothers than Bobby....
There was no question whether Bobby was dead or not coming into this episode. The only question was whether or not he would move on or become a ghost. He clearly became a ghost...that's whatsup with the beer. Bobby probably knows a few tricks as a ghost.

It was a good enough episode. Although now that Bobby's dead it does beg the question for these two guys: Why bother? They've lost every one they've ever loved. The have no friends. Although this was an episode in the right direction..to start adding side characters if they want the show to continue being good in season 8+.
I understand that after 7 years it's hard to come up with new villains and such. These leviathan were so scary before they actually came on to the screen. I was like "holy crap they're gonna be like demons and angels on steroids!" but they're just barely there. I get they want an element of mystery but bibbing and vomiting sandwiches are just not enough for me. This season needs to pick up and I hope they're really going somewhere with the disappearing beer and I think there was another "time slip" but I forgot where.
Great news about Jim Beaver's character returning this season on "Justified" but he needs to get his resume into F/X's other safe haven for Deadwood character actors, "Sons of Anarchy" or as a romantic foil for Josh Lucas's character on The Firm;) (That last part wasn't at all serious but how awesome would it be to get Molly Parker and Jim Beaver together again?)
Agregar un comentario ...Bobby if this one died but I am sure that returns when castiel returns and he goes to bring again to the life bobby. For me it was not necessary to say to dean to throwing the garbage under the carpet and only smile, it is what it has been doing from child, has raised and taken care of sam, to support to his baby bro innocently of all the males and for it it learned to support his front of " quite this well kiddo ". Dean does not need that they teach him what it has to do, to take care of sam and to the world
I've been preparing for Bobby's death since season 5. So when it finally happened all that preparation went out the window when I still cried like a baby. I agree what others have said that the episode was emotionally heart breaking to watch as Bobby defied death to give his information to the Winchesters. His last words couldn't have been more perfect.

However...shame on the writers for giving one of the best characters on the show a piss-poor way to die! Really? A gunshot wound to the head? Out of all the sh*t Bobby has been through, he dies from a bullet. That's an insult to Bobby. Like you said, where's the big hunter send off? It kind of ticks me off that Dean and Sam are not trying to find a way to bring Bobby back to life, but I guess they learned their lessons...

As for the Leviathans, at this point they're pointless. I miss the days when angels and demons were at each others throats. They were interesting. The angels were complicated, the demons were badass. These Leviathans bring nothing to the plate other than boredom. There's a reason why God locked them away in purgatory.....
Good episode with new developments.

Good article with valid points and good questions. I look forward to finding out the answers!
I suspect Bobby was killed off because he was becoming too much of a surrogate father. The show would have been just as well off had they kept their real father alive.

I'm getting the impression that the producers are starting to wind up the series. It can't have many more seasons left in the show, especially when it's ratings are worse than the 10th season of Smallville's. And with Grimm now winning the slot it doesn't seem as if they will ever get better. The Leviathans are nothing more than a new form of demon. It's probably best to end the show before it gets like the last seasons of Smallville.
Ack..bite your tongue!

With network execs making mind numbingly stupid decisions about awesome shows like Fringe and Community, even mentioning the idea that Supernatural is coming to an end is blasphemy!

Besides, Grimm and Supernatural aren't even in the same league. Grimm is not capable of achieving the same cult status as Supernatural has. If it weren't for Silas Weir Mitchell (Monroe), the show would be a complete dud, which it is in danger of becoming anyway unless Nick Burkhardt starts to grow a pair and actually does something 'Grimm' like for a change, and not just behave like a walking icicle.
I 100 % agree with you crazy.
"- I don't think I'm macho enough to prove to someone that I'm not a Leviathan by slicing my arm open. Tough guys! Couldn't they just sprinkle some borax on their skin?"

That was what I thought when I saw that sequence!

On the missing beer, it has to mean something. Why put it in otherwise? I am hoping for Bobby's ghost.

Didn't really get that Frank and the girl are recurring roles. Have to see how that goes.
Sheriff Mills is definitly a recurring character. She was introduced to Supernatural in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. When the dead rose in Bobby's home town her son Owen was one of the ressurected and he killed his father Sean. Then we saw Sheriff Jody "Fargo" Mills again in Weekend At Bobby's when she risked her job to help Bobby and after that she showed up at Rufus's cabin and spilled the Borax that burnt Chet the Cheese loving Leviathan and finally she was in Time After Time.
Why was Dean up an electric pole dressed as a telephone engineer?
Dean was spying on the Leviathans. Dick Roman just purchased all that land and the Leviathans have infiltrated every aspect of world wide power-military, political, financial and I should imagine the media and religion. So Frank tapped into the security setup already there so they could monitor the Leviathans.
Just another mediocre episode.
Tim and fellow readers all say it as I've said it here before. Sera said this at the beginning of the season this season was about taking everything from the boys. The impala, Cas, and yes now even Bobby. I have a feeling that time is starting to play an integral role somehow notice how we got the countdown and then the fuzziness surrounding where the beer went and then even the whole 4 days or four weeks conversation between Dean and Frank. Could time being reversed be the only way for the boys to beat the Leviathans or get Bobby back or even better could everything that's happened since Lucifer first reappeared to Sam be only in SAMs head trying to piece itself back together. It may be nothing but maybe.
Bobby's death was not "blah" at all! It was really moving and heartbreaking and extremely well done. I saw tons of people saying it was a great send off after Death's Door. But the thing is, Bobby died in Death's Door. He was already dead when this episode started. So I don't understand why people were expecting this episode to be a send off to him. His send off was last episode, and this one was about grieving and finding a way to move on. (And I'm sure there will more of that to come.) The end of Death's Door wasn't about whether or not Bobby would die, it was about whether or not he would stick around as a ghost, and that was very explicit in the dialogue between Bobby, Rufus and the Reaper.

Also, anyone who has to be paid $15,000 to help is not a replacement for Bobby. He's a hired consultant. A very crazy and entertaining hired consultant, but definitely not a Bobby.

As for the coordinates, it's a hunter thing, or at least a John thing, since he was in the Marines. It's clearly stated in the pilot that he always communicated with his boys with coordinates. Bobby would know this, and it makes perfect sense that with only a few seconds before he died, that he would give them coordinates. I actually thought it was clever they left off a number so it wasn't clear that's what it was.
I'm sure this X-Files black snot is saving them tons in graphics fees, but all it's doing is putting me to sleep. And killing Bobby off, when he was the only one with balls on the show, is just icing on the steaming pile.

Oh, and that bit of touchy feely Dean acting was creepy. Smile till you make it seems to be the motif of the writer's this season. What in the hell are they doing?
I have to agree that Bobby's death was a little anticlimactic and I expected him to go out with more of a bang (no pun intended). As for the random missing beer, I kinda had to tie that to the "Then" opening credits. One of the scenes was back when Sam almost shot Dean in the warehouse, thinking it was Lucifer, and Dean made Sam double-check that what was around him was in fact real. Since that point (or the reason for bringing up that clip) wasn't mentioned outright in the episode, it makes me think maybe all this really is just Lucifer playing with Sam. Thus the missing beer. As for Bobby's mystery numbers, I don't think it's as simple as coordinates. Like everything in Supernatural, there's usually more than one purpose for everything. Plus, the numbers only made sense when a number was added to it. I don't think we've heard the last of the mystery numbers just yet.

I agree Tim--color me f'n disappointed. It was one thing to kill Bobby in such a crappily disrespectful way. Dick Roman is laughable. Compare him to Yellow Eyes, Lillith, Lucifer, Crowley, or even Grandpa Jerkface; he's a dud.

But the episode following Bobby's untimely death was an important one. and this did feel kinda "blah" to me too. I dunno what else to say..at least the girl from True Grit paid us a visit?
I agree I hate Dick Roman and the whole Leviathan concept completely. I think its a really lame plot-line I would have enjoyed the God Cas story a lot more.
First. The biggest casualty so far is John Winchester,

second: I am betting we wil see Bobby and even Cass again.
'Meet the new Bobby's?' No. Uh-uh. There is no new Bobby's. Big mistake writers. Huge, gigantic. Excuse my french but fuck that. Bring him back. NOW.
Bobby will be back, probably as some sort of a ghost. Maybe he did drink that beer? I just hope Sam and Dean don't have to burn his bones!
One more thing that I never seem to comprehend is why does these supremely powerful Evil things start cooking up a plan to destroy the world...I mean Eve, the mother of all, spend all her time scheming and then just got killed...If only she had came out and killed millions at least she would have died in peace......Same goes for these badass leviathons.....Cas has already proved to the world that supernatural things are real with his shenanigans, also considering the number of hunters hunting in plain sight makes one think that every town has had their tryst with something sinister.....So why don't this 'dick' take a step forward and tell everyone that he wants to eat them all, instead of earning their accolades and senate seat?

Ghosts drinking beer...really??? Supernatural hasn't sunk that low just yet...This might just be the starting some sweet or sinister relationship of Sammy with some other supernatural being, 'cause accept it people we need at least one more strong character in this show.....otherwise it would be just 'Here's the Apocalypse and 'Then there were none''.
I don't think it was a ghost at all, well not in the traditional sense. Past of the story so far went back to the Lucifer in Sam's head storyline that seemed to die in the early episodes this season. He may be attempting to assert his influence once again since he said he wasn't going away. What made it foggy was Dean not being certain about the beer either.
If it was Lucifer, then he would have drunk Sam's been since he's after Sam, not Dean's, that doesn't make any sense. Plus, please no, I'm pretty sick and tired of Sam and his hallucinations. I would love it if it was Cas, or someone connected with Dean this time, instead of always about Sam.

As for Bobby, I don't feel that close to the character and his death had not effect on me. He had wornout his welcome and just became another instant fix whenever the guys needed one. Talk about deus ex machina, Bobby became the biggest one of all.

I'm not impressed with Dick either, but that's because these writers tend to turn all characters into one big grey blob without making or keeping anyone unique and interesting. The angels became demons with wings, and the Leviathans are more of the same. Someone should get rid of Gamble and find somebody with more imagination.

As for this season being Deancentric, I can only wish. But Sam has had his screentime and story alongside Dean's non story, but Jensen does have screen presence and acting chops which make him noticeable.

However, I have not doubt that Sam will once again have to deal with the overdone and long drawn out hell story. I'm sure the complaints about no Sam will only continue, since the fans who complain seem to be the ones who only want to see Sam and only Sam. Which is what made last season so boring, but I guess the rest of us can do what many fans have already done, leave.
More +
It was obvious to me Bobby died as well, although his sendoff by Dick (of all characters) was a bit disappointing!
if bobby and Cass are really dead i think I'm done with supernatural. i loves it so much because of how real it was. the monsters are really from the bible. and I'm not some GOD nut or something. it gets old seeing all the made up monsters in angel / Buffy. even thought i love those shows as well. I'm trying to keep supernatural from turning in to a show for teen girls
please contact NBC execs!!! They are going to need the work. SOON!!!
i kept falling asleep during this episode...
You know, at this point I've pretty much come to peace with the fact that Supernatural ended 2 seasons ago, and all this is just bonus alt-universe stuff, so I gotta say I'm enjoying these episodes. It's better this than none at all.
I don't think we've seen the last of Bobby. I think it was him who guzzled Dean's beer (though yes Dean is kind of a rager in the booze dept lately). Somehow Bobby will end up coming to the boys, helping them completely annihilate the Leviathans in the finale and that will be his final piece of justice before crossing over through the pearly gates (led by Cas of course).
Also, Sam and Dean not even trying to use the numbers as coordinates is just plain stupid, I'm guessing 80% of us thought those were coordinates (Dean was crossing options in his notebook, and none were coordinates).
I agree that coordinates would be the first thing that come to mind! But you're forgetting there was a number missing from what Bobby gave the boys. Only after Frank did his whole thing on the computer did they actually realize the numbers are in fact coordinates.

But yeah, the way they revealed it made sound like it was something unexpected.

It wasn't :-)
"Krissy the character" I have nothing against, "Krissy the actress" was painful to watch. Get some acting lessons girl!
i agree the actress was awful
Yet another not-awesome episode of season 7. Are we living the end of Supernatural?
There's gotta be more to the Bobby thing. He can't just be gone, not like that. Same goes for Cas. It's not cool to give two great characters such crappy send-offs. Not cool AT ALL!
Castiel isn't dead, he's coming back this spring. Promise! They announced that in early December, and said that they were giving the boys time to grieve real losses (more realistic in their line of work), and then Cas is scheduled to be back in April I think.
- I don't think the repercussions of Bobby's death have been fully explored yet. It's kind of unfair to say the sendoff was improper because we still have ten episodes left in the season. As long as the Leviathan problem exists, Bobby's sacrifice will be fresh in the boys' minds (and in ours).

- This episode felt like the calm before the storm. It was disappointing in the sense there wasn't AS much devastation about Bobby's death as there should be. But Supernatural has a way of making us blurt out "WTF??" at the weirdest moment, so I still think there's something special in store for Dick Roman, like a borax bomb shoved up his ass or something.

- Dean's unending awesomeness has increased threefold over the past few episodes. It would be a waste for him NOT to kill Dick this season.

- Frank can NEVER be the new Bobby. There will be no other Bobby. Bad choice for a title.

- Meghan Ory (apart from being freakin' hot!) had more dialogue in this episode than her entire stint in Once Upon A Time!

Was it me, or did she look exactly the same as on OUAT? (minus the fangs that is)
Agree on all counts. Well put sir, well put.
I wouldn't say that Dick is a laughable villain at all. He's very powerful, embedded into society and of these crazy leviathans answer to him. Just because he's not plastering people to a wall, doesn't mean he isn't hatching an evil plot.
Seriously, I am the only one that it was CLEAR to, that Bobby was dead.At the end the Reaper said that his mind is dying and we saw that as the surroundings of Bobby were disappearing.

The ONLY question that was left lingering, was whether Bobby stayed behind and became a ghost, or he went on to heaven? That's it...

It was really clear that he was dead at the end of the episode. So there was no reason for them to give any clarification in this episode....
I thought it was very clear he was dead, and the only question left was whether he would cross over or stick around as a ghost--the very same choice Dean faced in In My Time of Dying. It's explicit in the dialogue with the reaper and Rufus.

Whether or not he is resurrected later is another question. But at that point in time he was clearly dead. And I saw tons of fans mourning Bobby and saying it was a great send-off and debating whether or not he should be resurrected later, so I'm guessing a lot of people understood it that way.

That open end just left the door open for Bobby to stick around as a ghost. Somebody drank Dean's beer.
I dont dispute that Bobby died but that doesnt necessarily mean the end of someone on Supernatural. Both Sam and Dean effectively died (well Sam did die when he got stabbed to death) and various storylines took effect to bring them back.

I think killing Bobby was a mistake unless it was the actor's choice to leave. and even if they do bring him back some how it will seem cheap
Yeah I knew too, I even posted to say as much after that last episode. I think it was wishful thinking that maybe there was a tiny sliver of hope that maybe Cas would pop up and save him or something. Who knows.
No, you weren't the only one. I knew he was dead too. I guess folks were just hoping the whole thing was some kind of phantom punch and that Bobby would be in a coma or something.

• 8:00 pm