Supernatural: Return of the Angelic Son

Supernatural S07E17: "Born-Again Identity"

Okay, Supernatural, are you going to finish this Leviathan plot or what? Push and pull, push and pull! I no longer know what to prepare for anymore when watching this show, and after last week's standalone-turned-Leviathan episode, I fully expected more of that this week. So when Friday's "Born-Again Identity" managed to go an entire commercial break without any mention of Team Black Goo, I did a fist pump, settled in, and crossed my fingers that some sarcastic real estate agent wasn't going to show up and try to eat someone. I'm really hoping the writers delay this Leviathan thing for as long as possible. Like until sometime after I die.

Instead, "The Born-Again Identity" marked the exciting and nerve-racking return of the departed Misha Collins, professional actor who play(ed) fan-favorite angel Castiel. We'd been teased and teased about him coming back, but it always came with a hitch as all mentions of Collins returning included a "he's back, but..." (At least in what little news I read to remain as spoiler-free as possible.)

When we first saw Collins sans bitchin' trench coat, it appeared that he was just your ordinary man with magical powers named Emanuel. Dean wasn't buying it, but given the amount of body-swapping that happens and vessels that exist on this show, I wasn't so sure the angel would make an appearance at all. It wasn't until "Emanuel" smited half-a-dozen demons outside a mental hospital that I became a believer and once again bowed down to the Church of Castiel.

That scene was so awesome, and pretty much made the episode worth watching on its own! But in the end, it made me pine for the Castiel of old and wonder why the show decided to go the route with him that he did. So, Supernatural, if this was your way of bringing Castiel back to the show and making amends for turning him into a ludicrous, power-hungry God, I'm not sure it worked. More on this in a bit.

Cas and Dean (and oh, Hi Meg!) were at the hospital to get Sam, whose annoying, Satan-fueled insomnia (note to self: Pitch Annoying Satan character to Saturday Night Live) led him to teetering around the wrong part of town and getting hit by a car. Hmm... okay. Sam's instability had reached its tipping point, as the wall that Death put up in his brain to keep the crazies out was completely destroyed. So it was another hour of television with Mark Pellegrino playing an irritating imaginary character (Lucifer, in this case), and at this point I'm beginning to wonder if Pellegrino is actually a real person. Get a new agent, Mark!

To give Sam something to do in the joint while he waited for Dean to arrive with Cas, he met a totally random patient who just so happened to be a cute chick who was getting visits from her ghost brother telling her to kill herself. The situation featured exactly zero relevance to the episode and was straight out of a summer-school course on Ghost Hunting. You feel cold when he's around? Cool. Are his bones anywhere nearby? No? Do you have a personal item? Burn it! Voila, case closed. But it did help the episode reach its network-mandated 42-minute running time.

After Sam burned the girl's ghost bro, Cas sought to help Sam out and cure his insanity. But his first attempt failed, as Sam's wall was nothing but dust. So Cas, now of clear mind and guilty for killing a ton of people during his madness, paid it forward by pulling a reverse Scanners and absorbing Sam's insanity. So then Castiel was seeing Lucifer in his head, and given that he's supposedly an all-powerful angel, it seemed a bit ridiculous and an incredibly convenient way to fix Sam. I imagine things went something like this:

Supernatural Writer #1: "How can we make Sam better again? Shouldn't we have figured this thing out a long time ago?"

Supernatural Writer #2: "Let's just give that crap to someone else. How about Castiel?"

Supernatural Writer #1: "Two birds, one stone! Let's do it!"

So with that problem solved, Sam and Dean heartlessly opted to get out as fast as they could and leave Castiel behind in the hospital to deal with fake-Lucifer throwing firecrackers at him all day and all night. But at least Meg decided to stick around and be a nurse!

I get that Sam and Dean felt they needed to leave Cas behind, but man was it cold. And strictly speaking, in a good-vs.-evil-battle-for-the-world sense, wouldn't the good side be better served with a clear-headed Castiel than with a clear-headed Sam? I'm still pretty peeved at how the Winchesters have treated Cas, but then again, it isn't Cas's show. "Born-Again Identity" did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong, something that's been the case a lot this season.

Super-note-urals

– This episode touched on some of the accidental humor that made Cas so great. Dean: "It's in there. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike." Cas: "I don't know how to do that either." Awww, Cas.

– Not a mention of poor Frank Deveraux, whose insides we last saw splattered around his trailer at the end of last week's episode.

– Did Sam take drugs in a stranger's car at the beginning of that episode? I just hope he didn't do more. Two young strapping lads sitting in a car in a dark alley usually means some other type of transaction is going on. And what was up with that area Sam was walking around in anyway? It was like the least-scary "scary" place ever on television with its underwear-model drug dealers and "tough" guys and day-glo graffiti. Come on Vancouver, represent.

– Future request: Never have an episode of Supernatural where Sam or Dean gets put into a mental hospital. Also, please no more "crazy things" living inside of anyone's heads. Thanks!

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
"Born-Again Identity" had a lot of things going for it: Castiel! No Leviathans! Demons AND ghosts! But some parts of the episode appeared to have been added because there wasn't enough story to go around. Did anyone care about that girl and her ghost brother? And what was the real story behind "Emanuel" and his wife—how did that really fit in with everything else that was going on, and what will happen to her now that her husband is locked up in a mental institution? Kind of sloppy. But you know what? CAS SMITED AND IT RULED!

1. "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie" (Episode 14)
Sam and Dean investigated mysterious deaths around a kid's pizza-and-games party house. Unicorns farting rainbows, ball pit sharks spraying blood, and octo-vamps giving fatal hickeys made this a fun episode.

2. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)
A pair of witches needed some couples counseling in a gory fun-fest that guest-starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters.

3. "Death's Door" (Episode 10)
Bobby fought for his life and delved into his past as he tried to deliver a message to Sam and Dean from beyond the plane of the living.

4. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)
More standalone fun as the brothers investigated murders in a town full of psychics.

5. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

6. "Repo Man" (Episode 15)
The brothers visit a man they saved from a murderous demon four years ago, and Lucifer blabs Sam's ear off.

7. "Born-Again Identity" (Episode 17)
Sam ended up in a mental hospital after too many chats with mind-Satan, and Castiel returned to smite and then get left behind.

8. "Adventures in Babysitting" (Episode 11)
Sam and Dean coped with Bobby's death and met a fellow hunter's young daughter.

9. "Out With the Old" (Episode 16)
A tale of cursed ballerina slippers became a story about a Leviathan real estate agent.

10. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)
Two Leviathans disguised themselves as Sam and Dean and took off on a cross-country shootin' spree!

11. "The Slice Girls" (Episode 13)
Dean had a one-night stand with an Amazonian lady, and Sam took Dean's Daddy card away.

12. "Hello, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

13. "Time After Time" (Episode 12)
Dean traveled back to 1944 and battled the God of Time with Eliot Ness.

14. "How To Win Friends And Influence Monsters" (Episode 9)
Hyperadrenalized cannibals and stoner sandwiches! Dick Roman's plan was sort of unveiled! And Bobby got shot!

15. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

16. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)
Dean went on trial before Osiris because of the guilt he carries. Jo came back to blow him up!

17. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Too. Much. Becky. Larson.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Mar 31, 2012
I always watch everyting on tape, so sometimes I come late to the discussion. I'd rank this as one of the best episodes, and expect it will lead to some even better ones. As with the Eliot Ness episode, you guys missed the significance of one line that was a tip off to one place they were going.

No, I'm not going to tip it off, except to say that, on this show, what would be a cliched line in real life can turn out to be literal and real. (When Flip Wilson said 'The Devil Made Me Do IT" it's not quite the same line as if Sam said it.) There was one 'throwaway line' like that that hinted that they might solve the show's 'greatest mystery.'

(Unfortunately, it also hinted -- as with the other one -- that they are 'wrapping up all the loose ends' which could mean they've decided this season will end it. I hope I'm wrong about that. I like a show that is given a 'proper ending' but I'd hate them 'going out' with the Leviathan mess as their final story arc -- even with the other pieces they are adding to it.)

And one question. Their previous episodes have been listed as Season 7, Episode 17 or whatever, but the next one -- after last night's one -- is marked "Episode 145." Just a slip, or something meaningful?

Mar 29, 2012
Even if it was only for a short time, I LOVED seeing 'Cas' back.

I was kind of hoping that they would keep him around, but maybe the Winchesters just left him in the looney bin under good 'ole Meg's care because they decided they must kill the leviathans immediately! It's not as if Supernatural's plotlines have been a little A.D.D. lately or anything...
Mar 28, 2012
This episode had so much going for it yet I didn't really love it. I think the main problem was that I haven't liked Sam for a long time and Cas has always been my second and sometimes first (whenever Dean decides to make stupid decisions and/or judgements) favourite character. The fact that the amazing and powerful Cas got sacrificed for the annoying and useless Sam just seems like an aweful mistake.
Mar 28, 2012
While I agree with you that the boys 'dumping' Cas at the asylum was cold, was I the only one who almost teared up when Dean pulled out Cas's coat? All this time. and even with how angry he was with Cas at his betrayal (which we saw during the ep), he still kept Cas's coat which means he's been lugging it from car to car, all over the place. He didn't even leave it in the impala, wherever it's been stashed. I think this shows once again, the deeper feelings of Dean. Just like when Sam has screwed up, Dean was mad as hell at Cas but still cared and mourned his loss. So I thought that was well written.
Mar 28, 2012
Noticed the coat thing too. It was a great thought... remember the very first episode when Dean told Sam "No chick flick moments, ok." Dean will never admit how much he cares but the caring is till there.
Mar 28, 2012
It wasn't about filling up the 42 minutes with the ghost brother stint. I took it completely different. It showed me that even on what we could consider Sam being at the brink of death, he still did everything he could just to save one more person. Even with satan driving him off the rails. I actually thought it was really interesting to see him so ravaged and still so commited, when a lot of the season has shown Dean growing weary of the job.
Mar 28, 2012
Oh c'mon!! 'Meet the new Boss' SO was the best episode of this season so far! Not even James Marsters can take that away from our lovely Misha 'Cas' Collins!
Mar 28, 2012
For the love of God will you SOD. Off.
Mar 28, 2012
well possibly the Sam in a car with a strange man thing is to appease the fans who will never be satisfied until either (but preferably both, together) Jensen or Jared are found to be spending time with Dorothy.

If I were a writer on Supernatural I'd be planning an April Fool's Day prank where by the boys - in real life - are sent a fake script with a "slash" scene between the two of them "to please the fans."
best Jared and Jensen!!!
Mar 28, 2012
Not wanting to sound like a women but did any of you notice the meat meg had put on, thought for a second that the screen was out of ratio. still sweet looking still but nice to see the vessels well feed. haha
Mar 28, 2012
According to the interwebs, Rachel Miner suffers from a nerve disorder, which she treats with steroid therapy. Misha said last year in an interview that during filming for season six, she had a hard time even walking around. So yeah, even I noticed the shocking change in her face from a year ago and was like "FOR WHY?!", but apparently, it's due to swelling and/or abnormal weight gain due to the steroid therapy.
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, her face looked more swelled than fatty I think.
Mar 28, 2012
yeah! I've noticed and I thought that something is wrong with my computer :D But I love Meg and I lowe Rachel so good that she is not another anorexic actress.
Mar 28, 2012
Definitely,also have to give props to the show for loyalty. I'm sure they seen the difference and could have cast a new actress or actor (its a demon) to save on harsher critisism of die hards that like to pick at every detail. And the anorexic actress thing is true. The only time women have a bit of weight to them (in american tv) is when they need to show a kid getting bullied and going mental.
Mar 28, 2012
exactly. And she is great and SPN fans love her. I am glad that she was shown like that. And you are right, people who are a little bit fatter than size 0 are totally discriminated and tv is showing them as losers. that's sad.

With Rachel I was a little bit shock, but she looks really nice and I like her this way.
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know why you'd assume SPN fans love her, I find her incredibly irritating. Her voice is grating.
Mar 28, 2012
I totally loved this ep! I mean, Cas and Meg, yeah!

And I totally disagree with you about Mark. His Lucifer is awesome and he is an awesome actor, so no matter what is he doing, he's doing it just perfect! And he is just the best bad character ever!

And I am also really pissed, because the leviathan thing is not moving at all. Nothing, nada, nic. I just hate that. And the next episode will be just another filler.
Mar 28, 2012
Great episode and finally have Cas back, but at what cost. I liked the twist at the ending!
Mar 27, 2012
I think that Cas should have been found by his vessels actual wife. I mean, really? Another wife? I am happy Sams part of the story can move on, it was getting quite tiresome. Maybe this will set up a Lucifer-Castiel-Michael fight. If they couldn't get their vessels to say yes, at the very least they can fight it out inside Castiel's noggin'!

Also, is Meg dead yet? She works my last gd nerve!
Mar 27, 2012
I want Cas to be back BACK not back like this. I want almighty Catiel back 100% just like how he used to be. Now let just figure out how to get Bobby back!
Mar 27, 2012
OK, so I have been thinking about this ep the whole weekend and just had a brain wave in relation to Castiel returning and the plot regarding the Leviathans. The Leviathans were trapped in hell and were released when Castiel tried to put everything back in hell (after stealing some souls), right? So who has been looking after/residing in hell the longest, thus would know the most about these things? I'm guessing the Devil. And I'm speculating that he'll know how to get those damn things back in their cage. So if the guys figure this out, they are going to have to talk to Cas and get him to ask 'ole Lucifer what to do with the Leviathans. Don't ask me how (although I do think it's possible, with a little help from Meg) they are going to get the info out of Cas, but if I'm right, it would make for an interesting scenario. I do think however that if if the plot goes down a route similar to what I've suggested, then why not just re-build Sam's wall and threaten to crumble it again once they figure out they need to talk to Lucy? That would make for a pretty cool situation, even if its kind of been done before. Personally the whole mechanics behind Sam's 'crumbling wall' and reverting the devil into Cas doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (why not just put the devil in a person that's already crazy in the mental hospital?) But obviously Cas and his demons are going to come into play sometime in the next few episodes. My money's on the finale.
Mar 28, 2012
just seen somebodu already said about pergatory so scratch that.

Mar 28, 2012
Cas went to pergatory to get the leviathans and souls not hell, crawley controlled hell at that point and had access to the souls and the devil was not real in sams head, hence dean saying ''you know hes not real, right sammy'' over and over again. just supposed to be a damaged soul or something. as for the wall cas said it couldn't be rebuilt at all as he let satan in, and so took it from sam leaving him free of it all. agree that someone else should have taken it though although it would be unlikely as it would be cas passing the buck when it was his fault but a pycho angel isnt good news either.
Mar 27, 2012
The leviathans were trapped in purgatory, not hell.
Mar 27, 2012
i just want to say i was disappointed with matt lauer's interview with christie brinkley this morning, march,27,2012. there was very little compassion shown for her reason for being there. she has been very quiet about her personal life, only to come forth to defend herself against a troubled ex-husband! lauer's questions and interruptions were uncalled for. it was almost like he was attacking her personally. this is my opinion only like a behind, everybody has one.
Mar 30, 2012
And what does this comment have to do with SPN?
Mar 28, 2012
what are you talking about?
Mar 27, 2012
I gave up season 7 after episode 10, not a bad one but repeating previous patterns, events, plot points... Season 6 was disappointing, season 7 is even worse... It's like "they" don't know how to play out their ideas and don't even try to dig deeper. So, who cares about this episode or the next or the next? I'll always cherish the 5 first season! R.I.P. Supernatural!
XY
Mar 27, 2012
Me too. They try to take too many approaches. On the one hand we have the season archs which have been imho pretty strong until season 5. Now they are just...strange and don't take credit of the past 5 seasons history. On the other hand they have these standalones orienting on S1/S2 but they really don't do it for me anymore...

So many missed chances! A show which runs 7 seasons has enough of it's past to involve it in the present. Show us what's going on in heaven. Where is God? Who is he? Will noone try to bring Michael out and continue "the plan"? Bring Castiel back as he was or forget him completely. Finally resolve all those 95% finished storylines in a good, satisfying season arch and I'm back.
indeed
Mar 27, 2012
I think that the show has been getting better and better since the episode 13 and the 2nd half of the season is much better than the 1st. Born-Again Identity had however major plotholes. How did they get sam so easy out of the hospital? Why transfer the lucifer to an angel killing machine(that can't be good).
Mar 27, 2012
Because Castiel does not need to eat or sleep, so he would not die of deprivation due to Lucifer messing with him.
Mar 27, 2012
True, but after everything that has gone down, is his mind strong enough to not be led astray by a master manipulator?
Mar 27, 2012
Why not just transfer Lucifer to someone who's already dying and get rid of him for good?
Mar 27, 2012
either they've added too many new characters or their ability to keep things cohesive is deteriorating. I love Misha as Cas (and as "himself" that one time) and will be SO pissed if that's all we get of him. "Let's bring back a much beloved and missed character, ruin him to fix a plot issue, and occasionally mention him in future episodes" does not fly. I hope they find a clever way to "fix" him, too and then enlist his help to get rid of those annoying Leviathan once and for all.
Mar 27, 2012
This episode was a royal mess. I don't know how you could place it so much higher than Time After Time, which was a decent installment and had fewer loose ends.

Sam and Dean simply left Castiel behind to deal with his newly acquired demons. Just like they forgot their half brother Adam in Lucifer's cage and never even mentioed that again.

If Castiel is being haunted by Satan hallucinations now, can't he just fly back to Heaven? I find it hard to believe that he would still be afflicted by these hallucinations in his true angel form.

Passing the hallucinations from Sam to Cas doesn't make sense. Sam was losing his mind because of the memories he had of being tortured by Lucifer in his cage for so long. Now he remembers everything and that's supposed to make him insane, right? What Castiel would have to do is remove the memories, but Death already said that was not possible, and the best he could do was build a wall. And if bad memories are removed, so are good, necessary ones. So the show is going against its own rules.

Talk about sloppy writing...
Mar 27, 2012
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh yyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, Aaaaddaaaam! I may have forgotten all about him as well:(
Mar 27, 2012
You only saw Sam for a like a minute after - who says he's completely cured of his memories? Misha is supposed to be back for at least 3 episodes, so there are still two more left to answer your questions.
Mar 28, 2012
OK, that's a good point. maybe Sam would still have some personal demons to fight with. But I somehow I think the writers will lazily sweep the whole "Sam's madness" under the rug and get it done with.
Mar 27, 2012
yeah i had the same thoughts, really makes no sense.
Mar 27, 2012
Ditto. The only way it could be explained is if Cas turns out to be god eventually (which means he can do whatever). That would be cool but I doubt that's what the writers had in mind.
Mar 27, 2012
I think we'll see more of Cas. For one thing, who says insanity works the same way for angels as it does for humans? Maybe HE'll actually "heal"?

Also, the guys had no choice but to leave him, as he appears to be catatonic - in which case he needs around-the-clock care, which is hard to manage living out of a car and shady motels...

But I'm convinced they'll keep an eye out for alternative methods of healing, in case something pops up. Besides, I wouldn't discount Meg or some other demon fixing darling Cas on purpose or accidentally. ;)
Mar 27, 2012
I'm starting to wonder whether Supernatural should come back for an 8th season, especially if they plan to continue the Leviathan story line past the season finale. Compared to the show's best baddies--the angels and demons--in seasons 4 and 5 who were everpresent and always menacing, the Leviathans are a lukewarm, unwelcome addition.

I loved seeing Cas back. Even as Emanuel, his humor was so nostalgic ("Is that a flirtation?"). I didn't like that Dean and Sam left Cas in the crazy house (I mean, why even bring him back onto the show only to shove him into the corner for a couple more episodes) but I get the necessity for Cas to repent as canon. The guy screwed Sam over and killed a whole lot of people. And as "Emanuel" said, Cas isn't really a bad guy. He was deluded for a while, but I agree that this episode showed a clearheaded Cas that needed to do something to fix the mess he made.
Mar 27, 2012
supernatural is my favorite show ,i regret not seeing more of cas lately and crowly and those two whould logically team up against the Leviathan why not bring back the father of sam and dean or bobby ???? make the show cool again ,cas goes mental and he has a demon has a nurse ???? dean and sam leaves him behind and cas even if he did screw up help them alot since verry long did he deserve the mental institution for now and worst now he will be like possesed by satan ????? please bring him back has cas not in a evil crazy again cause did cas plan to be has strong has god and to be god but than he realized what mistake he did after all he is a angel and he does good but now just to serve evil instead cause we know satan can use cas now since cas see satan now so not such a great idear to see cas making sam ok but making another mistake unless someone get that crap out of him why not god finally showing up ??????? god forgive cas and heals him and gives him a true vocation and he becomes a superhunter whit sam and dean and whit his power wow instead the angel is just thrown away to the crap its sad really cause dean and sam fights the superntural and what better friend than an angel to have ????? more monsters and legends and demons to fight and please not all demons are the same so the producer could really make an effort and crawly was one of my favorite bad ass sort of a monster and all these good or evil angels also made the show cool now its just weird and this show is the best ,i do watch secret circle and vampire diarys and they could all have sam and dean at certain point fighting supernatural they are the superheroes humans fighting all the bad ass crap out there and its cool and i love the comedy included in the drama and horror ,the show is cool to the bone and the producer can do so mutch even series of movies for big screen if they wanted if they only knew what to do to make it more fun i even hope for the xbox game why not???? just missing fighting zombies dracula frankenstein more evil ghost or evil creatures or even fight jason or chucky or halloween or nightmare on elm street i dont know but they can make so mutch i imagine dean and sam against the jeepers creepers lollll but why not ???? fight werewolf and everything you want guys
Mar 27, 2012
It's a shame, this show just isn't the same anymore. I dig standalones, but I miss long-arch Supernatural seasons. This was a pretty lame season in that department.

Also, I'm getting tired of this "It's Sam and Dean's show so let's Ditch/Kill-Off/Vanish every other interesting character there is" policy. I know they have a low budget all in all, but killing off every character except the brothers is not good for the show.

BTW, not happy about Meg, first of all, the original actress was so much better. The new one I have to make a great effort not too laugh at her funny accent, she's not intimidating at all.

Second, if you are going to bring back a she-demon, bring Lilith back, or Ruby (but played by Cassidy -who was really baddass at the role- not Cortese -meh-).

Just waiting for this season to be over, hopefully all Leviathans will end up dead and if by any chance we get an 8th season, I'll beg to all the Gods there are for Kripke to come back and vanquish evil Sera Gamble.
Mar 27, 2012
At least we know that Cas is alive. To tell you the truth, Cas taking in the madness was possibly the most logical thing to do. The whole problem was that Sam was going to die without sleep. Angels do not need to sleep so he can last as long as needed to save him.

Of course that is if Lucifer was actually just a figment of Sams imagination. Maybe he has actually been trapped in Sam the whole time. This might explain that strange red energy that traveled from Sam to Cas.

If it was just madness, I would think that Cas would see something more painful to him. Like his godly self, the one who caused so much death and destruction. The guilt is already haunting him so it would fit that the madness would manifest as a vision of himself.

Meanwhile, I think that the brothers did not have much choice at the end, they had to get out of their and get back to business. They know that Cas is there and will eventually try to save him. But for now, they have bigger problems and they know that Cas, as an angel, is not effective against Leviathans. They have left some sort of protection in Meg, as self serving as she is. I do wonder if they left her with Ruby's knife though.

Best part though was seeing Castiel in his coat again.
Mar 27, 2012
Something. Wasn't Lucifer just a figment of Sam's experience in hell.

If Cas absorbed Sam's agony and insanity, why would it be Lucifer whom only Sam and Michael spent time with in the pit. Wouldn't Cas' demon be someone/something else ?

Or maybe (and this is the mini twist I'm hoping will actually turn out to be true) given the way that Luci talked to Cas in the end, as well as the hints he gave earlier in the episode about knowing what had happened with the girl before she even said anything, could it be that it isn't actually just an imaginary Lucifer, but that some part of Lucifer managed to sneak on board Sam's soul when he got pulled from the pit, and in that way escaping. And thus via a vessel he slowly waits and gains power until his time comes to strike back in some way. Kinda like how Sauron's spirit is bound to the tower in LoTR.

Food for some extreme posibilities there hehe.
XY
Mar 27, 2012
I doubt the writers spend enough time thinking on that plot that they considered this.
Mar 27, 2012
cas pulled out what was essentially a part of sam's mind, so that's why lucifer comes to his mind.
Mar 27, 2012
For a moment I thought that Cas might put something of himself into Sam's head along with Lucifer in a variation on the angel/devil on the shoulder. That could have really made things interesting.

I suspect that LuCas (Lucifer/Castiel) could wind up coming back in the season finale to deal with the Leviathans.
Mar 27, 2012
Sam was dangerous when he was completely unhinged by Lucifer. What happens when Cas goes off the wall nutso with his power?
Mar 27, 2012
I find it odd that the writers made so much effort to de-power Castiel in season five, as to not have a convenient deus ex machina hanging around, only to turn around and have him be a convenient deus ex machina. Don't get me wrong, if there's one thing this show DOESN'T need, it's Cas, and having him tucked somewhere far away with Sam's crazy is the best thing there is. Please the screaming fangirls, get Sam back on his feet and do away with an unnecessary character... At least until he shows up for the last two episodes of his arc, that is, for god knows what. I did like the ghost storyline, if only because of the parallels of the Winchester motto, even when there's no hope, keep saving people, because that's what we do. For Dean, it's been shoving down all his angst and focusing on killing the Leviathans. For Sam, I think it was just the need to prove to himself that wasn't just Lucifer's plaything. And of course, because I like the old school monster-of-the-week plots. I don't like how much of a mess this show has been since the end of season five, all over the place, plots that don't add up and the back and forth between strings of standalones and season plot episodes. If this season is going to be the last -please please please let it be the last- then this Leviathan shit had better all be worth it. Because I'm really starting to forget why I keep watching this show, sad as it is to admit. Unfortunately, I just can't help but remember the writers saying they're starting a whole new chapter in Sam and Dean's life and that Meg nursing her old boss's new living quarters -and her continuing grudge with Crowley- isn't going to open up a new can of really shitty worms and keep the trend of lackluster storytelling going on far longer than it should.
Mar 27, 2012
I totally loved having Cas back...I was hoping he'd stick around forever, not just for a cool 10 minutes. I loved having his accidental humor back. Damn writers better find a way to bring him back into the show.

Mar 27, 2012
what I really don't understand is - if Lucifer can drive sam and cass off, why wouldn't he just somehow try to manipulate them so they'll get him of the cage...?
Mar 27, 2012
Because Lucifer is selfish. Therefore Sam's head Lucifer is not going to go out of his way to help cage Lucifer. To see this play out, watch Farscape to see Scorpius in Crichton's head help Chrichton vs actual Scorpius.
Mar 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's "smote."
Mar 27, 2012
I think this episode created more questions than it answered. Most notably, is satan a figment of imagination or is he merely real in mental form? Also, is satan in Castiel's mind (angel's have minds?) or is he in Jimmy's mind? If he is in Jimmy's mind why can't Cas just find a new vessel? Also if Cas has always been able to just transfer satan into someone else's head. Why not find a catatonic guy and transfer satan into him? And if he is stuck in Cas' head, shouldn't his angel powers and the powers of the souls that didn't "escape" with the leviathan's to just wipe it clean.

It was an overall good episode. But it does seem like the writers were trying to unscrew the pooch that they wrote themselves into. I think I would have preferred soulless sam's return rather than everything is cool again except now Cas is in a mental hospital under the supervision of Meg. Seems silly.
Mar 27, 2012
I agree with much of what you said, although I have to admit I'm so gosh darn happy to see Cas that I'm willing to overlook a lot of it. Although I don't think he has any "souls" left in him from which to draw power from, I'm pretty sure when he opened back up the door to put back the souls where they belonged, only the leviathans where able to "hang on" in Cas's body, until they later broke free. I definetly thought it was a cop out though. I mean ok so he couldn't fix Sam and so he had to take the affliction onto himself? Bring back Cas and then sentance him to that? I'm sure that they'll figure something out for Cas at the end of the season though. I liked that they brought back Meg, I think she'll play an interesting part (even though I was always more of a fan of the first Meg.) I definetly think Lucifer is real in some way after seeing this episode though. I think maybe he piggybacked on Sam's soul back into his body? And they all just assumed it was just Sam's fractured mental state. Who knows..

As for those leviathans.. I think its already pretty clear what they intend to do. Slowly infiltrate society and eventually take over and "raise" humans like cattle.. thats why they wanna cure cancer killing two birds with one stone, make TONS of money and therefore more resources to slowly takeover and secondly boom! no more cancer killing any of their food source. Or the assistant could have been lying, and theres going to be far more nefarious chemical/biological research going on in that town. Either way, I reckon Supernatural's going to bitch slap us pretty quick here and up the ante on the ol' leviathans...there must be something thats going to make them dangerous..surely the writers of Supe don't have them written up to be complete lame-o's.

Oh yeah and I loved that they had another appearance of what could only be Ghost-Bobby. I'm sad that Bobby's a ghost because if the apparent memory loss and slow insanity that this show implies is the fate of it's ghosts, but I can't say that I'm not excited about possibly seeing Bobby again. And hey, this is Supernatural, no one stays dead forever!!!
More +
Mar 27, 2012
Good points. However, if it is just an "affliction" what was with the red in the veins. I know it looked cool but if it is just a creation of Sam's broken mind. Why would their be a physical manifestation of it? I also agree with you about the first Meg.

I agree with you about the Leviathons. The whole you catch more bees with Honey kind of thing. Cure all the Human's ails and maybe they will sacrifice a portion of their populace to feed us kind of thing.

The whole Bobby's ghost thing is interesting as well. It makes me wonder if he will come back when his run on Justified is over.
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I agree with you about it being more then just Sam's mind, I may not have written my previous comment in a way to convey that. I think its Lucifer, like really him, not just pretend. Maybe they are still connected in a way, like they were when Lucifer was actively possessing Sam before the cage. I think somehow a part of Lucifer was crammed into Sam when he got his soul back. Now Luci"s Cas's problem! I think the red vein thing was a sign of it being something more then plain ol' crazy Sam as well. And while therir at it with bringing back EVERY character thats died how about the TRICKSTER!! I mean Gabriel lol
Mar 27, 2012
I enjoyed the character of the Trickster/ Gabriel. I thought that was one of the better characters the show has brought forth. And you are right they should bring him back. As well as Chuck since we still don't really know what happened to him. I still think he was/is god.