Supernatural: We Object to This Wedding!

Last week I made an argument that Supernatural's future should consist largely of standalone episodes, as the season-long arcs of Seasons 6 and 7 haven't been up to snuff when compared to the greatness of the main arcs from Seasons 3, 4, and 5. But when I made that argument, I didn't have Friday's episode, "Season 7, Time For a Wedding" in mind. Oof, this was a tough one to stomach.

Supernatural has been known to get goofy from time to time, whether by throwing the Brothers Winchester into a real-life television reality full of nut-busting Japanese game shows and soapy medical dramas ("Changing Channels"), making Dean scared of kittens ("Yellow Fever"), or taking a wrecking ball to the fourth wall and making Supernatural an in-show phenomenon ("The French Mistake," "The Monster at the End of This Book"). All those episodes carried a wink-at-the-audience tone, and were some of the series' best. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding," however, wouldn't stop winking at me and just creeped me out.

As the title implied, nuptials were in store for one of the bros, and Sam was the unlucky groom. He married once-interesting character Becky, the superfan the show's writers created to poke fun at some of Supernatural's more, uh, obsessive fans. We didn't know why Sam suddenly decided to make her day, but given the number of odd things happening around town, it was fairly obvious to everyone involved (except clueless Sam) that something wasn't right.

I'll spoil the ending right now so we can get to the crux of the problem with the episode (hint: she's blonde and Tweets a lot). Basically, a local resident turned out to be a Crossroads demon who was accepting souls in exchange for making people's wildest dreams come true. Except the guy had discovered a loophole to negate the 10-year period before the soul could be transferred, so those who invested in the deal got screwed faster than a nude Jared Padalecki or Jensen Ackles at an all-female Supernatural convention. It was a weak nod at the economic situation the country has found itself in, the result of banks handing out credit cards to anyone with a pulse only to have them in their pocket for the rest of their lives.

Okay, now that we got that out of the way we can talk about just how awful Becky is. We first met Becky in "Sympathy for the Devil," the first episode of Season 5, and it worked well. She was a way for Kripke to have a laugh at the kind of fans who paid his bills and made Supernatural one of the biggest cult hits on network television. Becky was funny because she was used so sparingly, her one-joke behavior lasting for only a few minutes of screen time. But on Friday, OH MY GOSH it was non-stop Becky, until my ears were bleeding and my eyes were begging to be scooped out with spoons.

I know I'm not alone in wishing Becky would die a cruel, painful, and slow death, preferably while watching Sam get it on with any of the starlets who have guest-starred on the show. Make that chick cry her giant eyes out until she shrivels up into a piece of Becky jerky. And to see Sam, even a "roofied" one, loving her was just horrible to watch. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" was like one of those Saturday Night Live skits that doesn't know when to stop. And just so it's clear, I have no issues with the actress who plays Becky, Emily Perkins; she's just doing her job. This one is all on the writers.

(Note: I know some of you enjoyed this episode quite a bit, which I think largely depends on how much Becky you can handle. If you like the character, the episode was probably a hoot. Me, I can't stand her.)

Slightly less offensive was Dean's new partner Garth, played by DJ Qualls (Road Trip, Delta Farce, Breaking Bad), who was seemingly thrown into the episode just to give Dean's side of things a nearly equal level goofiness. Garth wasn't the coolest of cats or the most effective of hunters and could have been a welcome addition to the show if he'd been used to do more than make Dean's storyline as ludicrous as Sam's Misery-style marriage.

I love silly episodes of Supernatural more than most people (heck, remember how I loved that one from earlier this season with Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters?), but "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" failed to work on any level for me. I'll even go so far as to name it one of the worst episodes of the season and maybe the whole series. Yikes!

Notes:
– Crowley to Becky: "I'm sure you have a wonderful personality, dear." No she does not! Snap your fingers and turn her into a dung beetle, Crowley!

– So Guy's intern, the dude who looked like a pro-wrestling superfan, was the one who sold out Guy to Crowley? Yet he was killing people for Guy? That makes no sense.

– There was a lot of potential to the story of Becky's high school reunion, but it never went where I'd hoped it would.

– Okay, the wedding cake exploding in the credits was awesome. And some of the Dean and Sam reaction stuff was funny, but for the most part, not the best outing for the show.

– Question: What devious ways can you think of to kill off Becky?

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
Oy. Let's just pretend this episode never happened.

1. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)
A pair of witches needed some couples counseling in a gory fun-fest that guest-starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters.

2. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)
More standalone fun as the brothers investigated murders in a town full of psychics.

3. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

4. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)
Two Leviathans disguised themselves as Sam and Dean and took off on a cross-country shootin' spree!

5. "Hell, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

6. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

7. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)
Dean went on trial before Osiris because of the guilt he carries. Jo came back to blow him up!

8. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Too. Much. Becky. Larson.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Nov 25, 2011
Only thing good about this episode: the cake exploding as the opening credits.
Nov 18, 2011
"So Guy's intern, the dude who looked like a pro-wrestling superfan, was the one who sold out Guy to Crowley? Yet he was killing people for Guy? That makes no sense."

Actually, Crowley said the whistle blower dropped an e-mail into his "suggestion box", which I assume he did while meaning to brag about the loophole they found and suggest everyone else did the same....

The wedding cake exploding in the credits was AMAZING.

Ways to kill Becky: Have her infected with flesh eating disease. Have her bitten by a werewolf and have Sam kill her cos she couldn't control the rabies. Have her a vamp slave such as Tara was to Franklin in True Blood.... and then have him mock her and kill her. Maybe mock her again later. But maybe she'd like that? I'm not sure....

And, just to be clear, I believe Emily Perkins is great because she really gets a rise out of me with Becky, and in no manner do I wish these things to happen to her or to make her parting days as a Supernatural guest star unpleasant, but, really, Becky deserves a wicked murder just for the shrillness of her voice and for trying to replace Dean in Sam's life.
Nov 17, 2011
Giant eyes? I actually thought to myself throughout the show that her eyes were small and "beady" - that's what came to mind. Loved Dean's reactions, and Sam talking with the thing in his mouth.
Nov 17, 2011
I agree with you. Too much Becky; I wanted to jump out the window. I love DJ Qualls and wish we could see more of him. Of course Crowley is as usual the best. Loved his line: "This is not Wall St. This is hell; We have a thing called integrity here."
Nov 17, 2011
I agree, too much Becky. They could have at least shown them at the reunion, I think that would have been fun to see. I loved it when he found her notebook and got teary-eyed. I think that my fave episodes ever were "Changing Channels", "The French Mistake" and "The Monster at the End of This Book". "Yellow Fever" was good, too. I love it when they do comedy. They're so good at it and it breaks up tensions from 7 seasons of demons, death, etc.
Nov 17, 2011
I should add though, I do not think Becky is worth a murder, I just don't want to see her buggy eyes again. :)
Nov 17, 2011
The ep was worth everything just to see the reactions from Dean on hearing Sam was getting married and then seeing Becky. Worth the price of admission. lol Also Sam when he was tied up, excellent acting from J2 and to top it off, Crowley.
Nov 17, 2011
N'aaaawww. Harsh. :/ Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I guess, but I actually thought this was a decent episode. I'd agree that it wasn't up to the standard of the other 'wink-at-the-audience' episodes, but I don't think it's the worst episode Supernatural has ever seen. I don't particularly like Becky, but I do find her funny. My only issue was too much her and not enough GARTH! OMG, I LOVED THAT GUY! He really needs to come back! He redeemed the Becky-overkill, as it were. I would agree that it was the fault of the writers though, and not the actress. Making me laugh and encouraging me to hate her character simultaneously? Yeah, that's pretty good acting, as far as I'm concerned! Can't wait for Friday's, however! It looks set to more than make up for last week's! :D
Nov 17, 2011
Time for a wedding was over the top fanservice to Sam fans. (I'm a guy, so I don't care about which brother side you are on, I adore them both) The episode was funny in parts and Crowley was great. Dean & Sam's expressions were hilarious, but the Becky thing was overkill.

I dont agree with your episode list. Its very wrong! Mine is like this:

1. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)

2. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)

3. "Hell, Cruel World" (Episode 2)

4. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)

5. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)

6. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)

7. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)

8. "Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Nov 16, 2011
yay for DJ Qualls! and he should be mentioned with Memphis Beat in the first place, his character was so great and adrorable there, I wish he appeared on more shows..
Nov 16, 2011
At the end of this episode I wish I had watched Fringe instead.
Nov 17, 2011
I liked it but fringe was so much better!!
Nov 16, 2011
Question: What devious ways can you think of to kill off Becky?

Simple....Make her a star. A Leviathon commercial for cheese sauce on meat-cycles!! (but she comes back to life for each appearance!!)
Nov 16, 2011
I don't know what you guys were talking about. This is by far one of my favorite episodes of the season. I think Becky is a weird crazy lunatic, but I loved Garth, and seeing Sam tied up in a bed without pants made my year.

I'm so impressed with the season so far, loved the episode so much!!!
Nov 16, 2011
I really enjoyed it. For me the show goes places that other shows would never dare to tread. Long may they do so. I thought both Jared and Jensen were very funny. Showing Becky as the basically decent, although totally obessive, fan girl whose personal issues pushed her over the edge and into loonie territory was both risky and inspired.

I was hoping that she would take the deal so Dean would have to finish her off. Yeah, I don't ever want to see her again either!

Loved seeing Sam happy, even though he was under the influence....but not seeing him get smacked around the head. Ouch!

Nov 16, 2011
This episode made me dislike Sam, too, along with Becky. :( I know he was roofied, but it was too much. Dean was good. Hopefully next episode is AMAZING to make up for the rest
Nov 16, 2011
I have to admit, after a while Becky's annoyance put me into a catatonic phase (with convulsions) and I missed the episode. Glad to see I didn't miss much.
Nov 15, 2011
Dean was awesome in this episode though :D
Nov 15, 2011
I think we could see Becky returning as a hunter.
Nov 16, 2011
Please, God, NO!!!
Nov 15, 2011
The episode was kind of weird. I kept expecting to see the story turn on the spot. What Supernatural has always been good at, is showing us something we think we know and understand and then turning it into something different, and more often than not, seriously making fun of the show itself in the process. So I wanted this to turn out to be about more than just a lonely crazy girl. It would have been fun to figure out, that Becky's motive for drugging Sam and splitting of the Bro-Team were way more big-picture-thinking and less pathetic I-need-to-impress-my-high-school-classmates. What if it had turned out, that she could actually decipher patterns and schemes that the boys could not? Simply because she was NOT a part of the story. At least the original story. It could have been awesmazingly french-mistakingly interesting to actually have the voice of the audience inserted in the storytelling. We can all see the problems building up, the false security the brothers feel, the chances that they might pass up on, because they are standing too close to the fire.

Nov 15, 2011
When Supernatural does very funny episodes ("Bad Day in Black Rock", "Yellow Fever", "Changing Channels", "The French Mistake", etc.), they usually pull it off. This one, I'm sad to say, fell flat for me. Mainly because I loved Becky before (she was hilarious in "The Real Ghostbusters"), but I found her especially annoying this episode. I was like: "Love potion. Really? Was she that desperate?"

The only redeeming qualities of this episode were:

1.) Dean's reaction to the wedding. ("Really? Super fan 99?")

2.) Sam trying to talk with the gag.

3.) And Crowley. ("This isn't Wall Street, this is hell. We have a little something called integrity." LOL.)
drop a anvil on becky
Nov 15, 2011
I agree!!..becky was super annoying!.

and "love-drugged" Sam was also irritating!. At first i thought it was Sam's mental state that led to the wedding and i kept on wishing Dean to clobber him or something (just to fix his brain)!. When i saw Becky get that tiny bottle from Guy, i didnt wish her a messy death, i just want her to swiftly explode!.

Personally, i loved wacky temp hunter with even wackier taste in televison shows!. And though i would love to see him again lets hope this is the last time we see Becky!.
Nov 15, 2011
Ok, I don't like Becky (she's shrill and annoying) but I did quite enjoy how ridiculous this episode was. I usually find Sam pretty irritating but in comparison to Becky, he was enjoyable to watch for once. And I really liked Garth. He was the exact opposite to what you would expect a hunter to be and it was brilliant. I would love to see him return later, andhis scenes with Dean were good. And Guy was a pretty damn cool baddie too. Oh, and the bit at the beginning when a guy gets his skull smashed in with a baseball was awesome!
Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I disagree. While I wouldn't want to see Becky regularly, I think lats nights episode was a hilarious, but well written dig at all those psycho fans out there. I think they tackled it with the same dark humor that they did with so many other episodes in the past. Well done, if you ask me.
Nov 15, 2011
Garth was way more useless, Becky was awesome good off the pace Episode nothing wrong with at all
Uma
Nov 15, 2011
I prefer Carver Edlund, is that the guys name? His character is so much more fun to watch if they wanted to do an episode with one of the characters on the periphery of Supernatural they should have chosen him. It would've been alot more interesting
Nov 15, 2011
This was such a useless episode. I did squee at the wedding cake credits, but that was probably the best part of the episode. I was half-wishing that the whole thing was going to be revealed to be a fan fiction written by Becky because it was just so off. I too loved Becky when she was introduced, but I can only handle her in small doses. I didnt even understand why Garth was there. To show us that hunters can be clumsy, awkward, and uncool too? He wasn't all that funny or entertaining either. I also had an issue with this not being connected to the larger story arc. Standalone episodes usually further (even if only a bit) the plot, but this did nothing. I'm starting to think that the writers have run out of ideas.
Nov 15, 2011
feed becky to the ghouls!
1 - I think Crowley was being ironic

2 - He's a demon, demon's like to make humans suffer... he was just following orders, why spoil the fun while he could have it? It makes a lot of sense.

3 - Really, that whole levianthan thing is so stupid, unrealistic and REALLY poor explained, I don't mind not seeing them. Actually it was refreshing to see demons around and find out that they are searching for a way to defeat the big evil along with everyone else.
A female character that continues to live? That happens? ::blinks::
Nov 16, 2011
I think Becky only continues to do so because the afterlife knows better ...
Nov 15, 2011
I hated Becky in this episode. She was soooo annoying.
Nov 15, 2011
The episode had it's moments, but overall, I agree there was just too much Becky. I was quietly wishing that she'd die, I mean after the deaths of fan faves Rufus, Castiel and virtually everyone else the boys have met, I'm surprised that Becky lived to annoy another day.
Nov 15, 2011
Every standalone should further the plot in someway, but I am having a hard time remembering what this episode accomplished. The previous standalone episode reunited Sam and Dean, while exposing Dean's deep rooted issues... This episode did what exactly? Show us Crowley hates Leviathans? This was already shown before. I feel that the main arc is just getting drawn out too much with shiny standalone episodes that do nothing but detract us from the goal at hand.
Nov 15, 2011
My favorite line is when Crowley said,

"this isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity!"

Nov 15, 2011
IMO (apart from the brothers, of course), Crowley's brief appearance and very few lines were what saved the episode from being downright awful.
Nov 15, 2011
Actually, It's Crowley I can't stand anymore. I really hope he just stays away, but I'm betting that won't happen any time soon.

Was I the only one waiting for Garth to be a very deep-cover Leviathan, by the way? That would have perhaps saved the episode.
Nov 15, 2011
I didn't mind the episode (read, Becky) that much, but I also didn't consider it funny or especially likeable. It felt like something you have to sit through in order to get to the good part. So... guess I'm saying that next week's episode better be brilliant.
Nov 15, 2011
I thought this episode was hilarious and Dean and Sam's reactions were very funny. J2 does comedy well. I also loved that Crowley put in an appearance.
Nov 15, 2011
When I saw the previews for this episode, I had really hoped that the girl under the veil was Ruby in either one of her forms. Even if it was just a Laviathan in disguise or some other illusion. But Becky. They should have left her in a relationship with Chuck.
Nov 15, 2011
Becky is just the worst thing since moldy bread.
Nov 15, 2011
Worst episode ever (I mean the whole 7 seasons, not just this one). The only thing worth of my time was the ending with Crowley. All the other stuff was just disgraceful. Starting with Becky, but also Garth and the lame Demon assistant killing off the "customers".
Nov 15, 2011
It wasn't a particularly strong episode especially compared to the other episodes this season but the worst of the series? No way! That distinction goes to the episode "Bugs" from Season 1.
Nov 15, 2011
There were some funny moments but honestly it was a bad episode.
Yep.
Nov 15, 2011
I didn't mind it. I took it as just a goofy episode and it was fine. Although Supernatural can pretty much do whatever it wants and I'll at least like it at this point. Also I liked Garth...a hunter not as all crazy serious as Sam and Dean was kinda refreshing.
Nov 15, 2011
Crowley was being sarcastic.

I didn't mind Garth. Despite some initial awkwardness, he actually demonstrated he was a competent hunter. Sure, he was a geek, but he came up with the blueberry vodka idea and figured out most of what was going on, and got Marsha to safety.

And Emily Perkins was so cute back when she was Beverly Marsh in Stephen King's It.
hated this whole episode
Nov 15, 2011
Hopefully Crowley's speech leads to some arc time next week, the writers need a break with the stand alones cause this was horrible!

Was anyone else let down that DJ Quills character was a woosy? I was hoping he would prove Dean wrong and actually be helpful, but I guess they needed a loser interest for Becky!

• 7:00 pm