Supernatural: Women! Can't Live With 'Em...

Supernatural S07E13: "The Slice Girls"

Considering the two handsome cross-country rapscallions the Winchester brothers are, it's not surprising that sexy ladies often play their foils. Friday night's episode of Supernatural, the unfortunately titled "The Slice Girls" ("Amazon Women in the Mood" was already taken), made women into a bunch of man-carving monsters... and Dean was the target.

Everything started when bodies began appearing with no hands or feet and a mysterious symbol carved into their chests. After meeting the first victim and the awesome quippy coroner, Sam decided to do more research, and Dean opted for the more Dean-ish response of "go boink a chick at the local meat-market bar. Thousands of women all over squealed at a shirtless Jensen Ackles as he and his workout partner Lydia got it on. But we knew Lydia wasn't a future Mrs. Winchester because the sex scene was intercut with scenes of Lydia murdering a victim to AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long." Sweet! Blood and sex, my two favorite things!

Later, Dean realized he'd left behind an old trinket of Bobby's, his flash, at Lydia's place and went back to retrieve it. And wouldn't you know it, she'd already had a baby. AND that baby had been on E*Trade recently because it was talking like a blabbermouth. Looking for answers, the boys realized that all the victims had something in common: They were all recent participants in one-night stands that began at the same bar Dean where picked up his loose lady. Not good.

It turned out that several ladies in town were part of an Amazonian sect, a bunch of X/Ys who didn't rely on men to survive except for procreation. Every few years, the women would shag dudes and have kids, and the babies must have been sprinkled with Miracle-Gro because in three days' time the little girls that resulted from each romp in the sack became teenagers. And those teenagers had to go through an unusual tradition: To be accepted as an Amazon, they had to kill their fathers. And that meant Dean's little bun Emma was ready to cut off Dean's hands and feet.

Sam arrived just in time to see Dean hesitate to pull the trigger and kill his daughter, and there was a very cool role reversal of what happened earlier this season in "The Girl Next Door." Sam shot Emma dead, just like Dean killed Sam's old girlfriend because she was a monster. Whoa. Shoe, meet Other Foot.

"The Slice Girls" was a pretty standard monster-of-the-week episode, but really worked because of how the Winchesters got involved in the case. The investigation basically became a horrible Walk of Shame for Dean after he got Lydia pregnant, and the way the writers squeezed in the idea of Dean being on the losing end of the one-way tryst was very funny. There was still no progress with the Leviathans, but given how convoluted and uninteresting that story has become, I didn't mind at all. What did you all think of the episode?

Notes:
– All I could think of all episode long was Futurama's "Death by Snu Snu" episode, where Fry, Zapp, and Kif were all at the sexual whims of Amazonian women. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised."

– Even though Bobby is gone, I like how they're keeping his "spirit" alive with disappearing beer and strange gusts of wind.

Supernatural is still looking for ways to replace Bobby, and this week's professor of ancient things was pretty cool.

– Ewwwwwww milk and people parts are part of the Amazonian initiation practice? Gross. The inclusion of milk makes it that much grosser. Bleh.

Supernatural Season 7 Power Rankings
"The Slice Girls" was an enjoyable one-night stand we can look back on without much regret. But we certainly don't need to pick up the phone and do it all over again, either. Let's rank it in the upper-middle tier of this so-far lackluster season.

1. "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" (Episode 5)
A pair of witches needed some couples counseling in a gory fun-fest that guest-starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters.

2. "Death's Door" (Episode 10)
Bobby fought for his life and delved into his past as he tried to deliver a message to Sam and Dean from beyond the plane of the living.

3. "The Mentalists" (Episode 7)
More standalone fun as the brothers investigated murders in a town full of psychics.

4. "Meet the New Boss" (Episode 1)
Castiel got all righteous on those who didn't respect The Good Word, and it was great.

5. "Adventures in Babysitting" (Episode 11)
Sam and Dean coped with Bobby's death and met a fellow hunter's young daughter.

6. "Slash Fiction" (Episode 6)
Two Leviathans disguised themselves as Sam and Dean and took off on a cross-country shootin' spree!

7. "The Slice Girls" (Episode 13)
Dean had a one-night stand with an Amazonian lady, and Sam took Dean's Daddy card away.

8. "Hello, Cruel World" (Episode 2)
The Leviathans set up a buffet at a hospital after spreading into the water supply.

9. "Time After Time" (Episode 12)
Dean traveled back to 1944 and battled the God of Time with Eliot Ness.

10. "How To Win Friends And Influence Monsters" (Episode 9)
Hyperadrenalized cannibals and stoner sandwiches! Dick Roman's plan was sort of unveiled! And Bobby got shot!

11. "The Girl Next Door" (Episode 3)
Via flashback, we saw Sam's first kiss... with a monster! Then Dean killed her.

12. "Defending Your Life" (Episode 4)
Dean went on trial before Osiris because of the guilt he carries. Jo came back to blow him up!

13. "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (Episode 8)
Too. Much. Becky. Larson.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Tim, of course there isn't any progress. Since Eric's gone, there isn't any progress until we get to 2 episodes before the season's finale and then BOOM, in 10 mins everything will be done. Remember Eve?...
Totally disagree that s7 has been 'lackluster'. I am absolutely loving it. It is the best the show has been since s5, or maybe even since s3.

Slice Girls was an excellent ep, and last weeks ep (Plucky Pennywhistle...) was even better. It was classic, old school SPN. Loads of fun.

S7 started brilliantly, dipped a little from GND to Slah Fiction but since then has IMO gone from strength to strength.
Ha! TOTALLY reminded me of Death by Snu Snu too!
The episode was okay... however I have become a little frustrated with the writing this season. Where are the playful quips and banter that used to just roll off the Winchester's tongues? That was one of my favorite parts of the series and lately it has been way too absent. I understand that there are new writers, but still.

My other issue with this episode was that it seemed to take forever to get Sam and Dean in agreement about who was the bad guy. I feel as if though they should have been able to put the clues together quicker.

**IN my opinion**, sorry about that
It was a good episode. Like @IlgtYld said, it felt like a first season MotW episode.

It's a step back compared to previous seasons, but a step forward compared to this current 7th season, in which the main arch completely fails (and I think the writers know it, and that's why they are giving us so much standalone episodes.

The only problem I got with that, is that Kripke set the bar so high in seasons 3-4-5, that season 6 was a deception (in spite of the excellent final episodes) and season 7 is a total flaw on my opinion, in spite of a couple great standalone episodes (The Mentalists being the best by far) and just a couple great arch-episodes (the best At Death's Door, which in fact barely had a mention to the lame Leviathans).

I would love if Supernatural had a season 8, just to set things straight. This pathetic 7th season can't be the show's last. BRING BACK KRIPKE PLEASE!
me want snu-snu! one of my favorite Futurama episodes. haha

I was wondering what they were going to do to replace their encyclopedic father figure and I like how they didn't just give them a new guy and leave it at that. You can see them (realistically) struggling and lost, especially when they didn't have Bobby to answer the FBI phone.

I feel like they're killing off all the supporting cast to prepare us for the end.. not a good feeling.
they have to give us some more about the Leviathans....

I don't want a predictable finish for the last two episodes in the season and that's it...

what about the rumor that Cass and Bobby will appear again, so come on....how many midseason episodes we can keep like that?besides it's the 7 season, not 1-3
I thought this would never happen but I don't feel the same way about Supernatural anymore....Nothing wrong with the boys, has to be me or the writers.

What about family Dean? Feel sorry for the girl even though she tried to kill her daddy, couldn't they have given her a chance or even cry a little, a mention? I mean, who of the Winchesters hasn't gone through a monsterphase?

The end was great, oh they left, nevermind then. This season doesn't make sense.

Fun to see the Mayor again, third of Btws this season. Xandeeeer you're next!
The episode reminded me of Buffy. Not just because of the Mayor from BTVS, but also tonally. Good stuff.
I thought there were definitely parts I liked a lot. It is interesting to see the brothers struggle with things that used to come to them easily-like research. Not having Bobby around sucks for more reasons than just the emotional ones, he did a lot of work for them when they needed it. I also like how the brothers are finally starting to get closer, tragedy can do that sometimes. Seeing them both acknowledge that they are both screwed up was nice. Dean is also evolving as a character. He is trying to get back to normal, to act like things are okay, but his old way of dealing with crap isn't working any more. Whether or not he is looking for affection I don't know, but he for sure is not able to get over the loss of Bobby the way he has gotten over loss before. It is cool to see him still be Dean, but not the same Dean from earlier seasons, KWIM?
I loved this episode. It was like a payback to Dean for killing Sam's first crush. I never knew Aunt Jenna could be so hot. The camerawork was too good while Dean was flirting with Lydia. And man, did Dean look years younger or what!!! Btw happy to see Death's Door being No.1 on your list (choosing to ignore that Shut Up Dr. Phil episode on the list).

-Lydia didn't murder those people. It was the offsprings of the respective guys, who did the deed.

-XY chromosomes are for male. XX are female.
Having Harry Groener was awesome. Good to have the Mayor around. Good guess but not the principal saxyroro, That was always Armin Shimerman.
Yeah, until the Major ate him!
I liked the role reversal of Sam and Dean most of all. With Sam coming out and putting down the monster while Dean was hesitating. Also, Sam called Dean out in a big way this week.
Well I didn't see the episode so I know that I am not really one to coment but reading this article made me think that personally, I think that Dean would have more of a reason to be angry with Sam than Sam had to be with Dean. I mean for one, as twisted as it is, the "girl/woman/whatever you want to call her" was pretty much Dean's flesh and blood who Sam killed, whereas, the woman that Dean killed was simply a girl that Sam liked. And also Dean's "daughter" hadn't yet killed anyone and 2. how ever improbable this idea is could still possibly convinced not to become an "Amazon" (at least SPN's version of such) but that's just my two cents, without having been able to watch this episode (or any other episode this season for that matter)
What about the main subject, main enemies? This season is almost like first season, mostly stand alone episodes...
And that is a bad thing? lol jk
How come you moved Deths door up to a 2nd, Tim? You disliked it to begin with and had it near bottom.

Peer pressure? ;)
It was the Principal from Buffy! He was great as dad of the week and Jenna from Vampire Diaries was fine. Very monster of the week standard fare nowadays.
Actually, it was the Mayor from Buffy (Richard Wilkins III) - AND he was the Big Bad of Season 3. Kudos to Harry Groener, I love seeing him in new stuff. Even if he's not his creepily cheery but evil Mayoral self, some of his creepy cheeriness came off in the professor.
i still cant believe that the top ranked episode is "Shut Up Dr. Phil"...
Maybe Tim should be forced to watch this episode again - this time NOT high on ... well, judjing from his picture I would say ETHER ?!
"the sex scene was intercut with scenes of Lydia murdering a victim" - that wasn't Lydia. It was the kids who were killing their fathers, and Lydia couldn't have been " of child-bearing age" and a child at the same time. We presumably never see the two girls that kill their fathers.
I'm convinced now. Bobby's coming back...as a REAPER !!
The inclusion of milk makes it that much grosser. Bleh.

Yup, puts a whole new wrinkle on the commercial....." Got FEET?"
XY are male. Amazons are a bunch of XX.
I think they're actually more like XXY
I didn't really like it. Normally, the standalones are my favorites episodes of the season, but while this one was admittedly better than the majority of season 6, it was extremely forgettable to me. I was actually rather enjoying this season until they went and killed Bobby. All the episodes since have been moody to the point of annoying for me, including this one. I do hope they turn Bobby into a ghost, just so I can see him call the boys idjits again, and so Dean will stop being all weepy. Man up Winchester!
It was a good episode, nothing really special, just normal supernatural, which is nice. I'm not one for the whole main story in shows like this. For example, shows like Charmed were really good in the start but eventually became just demons, demons and more demons. Very few "monster of the week" episodes which is what I look forward to personally. Supernatural was starting to get pretty demon happy to so I'm glad they managed to grab hold of the reins and take it back to what made the show great to begin with.
+1 for using the word rapscallion.

I didn't mind the episode, it was a fine standalone and it further reiterated the point that the Winchesters can't do anything normally, including having normal babies. It just seemed like I was waiting for things to come to a head and then the episode was over. They could've done a little more with the daughter and less with the mythology of Amazon women, but it was just okay, I guess.
Like ya said for a standalone it was a decent episode.. actually agree with everything ya said. Good job this time timmy
I have to say, I didn't enjoy it. I thought considering we have had ancient badies before from other cultures that this was done not as well. I think the daughter was kind of wasted, I think it would have been interesting if she had been the rebel that they were kind of implying that she was. The taking of high powered people could have been two fold. One for the strength and two because they keep within the rules. A rebel amazonian just sounds better. She could have still died at the hand of the amazonians rather than at the hand of Sam. i know that it set up a kind of balance from what Dean did. But it was predictable. This seemed way too routine in a premise that if presented well could be more interesting in itself more so than the Leviathans.

It wasn't a bad episode in the realm of Supernatural it was just painfully average.