Supernatural's Season 8 Premiere: ...And Kevin Makes Three

Supernatural S08E01: “We Need to Talk About Kevin”

Supernatural's Season 8 premiere had a lot in common with its Season 4 premiere. Or was it Season 6? Gosh, these Winchester boys end up in other dimensions so often its hard to keep things straight. “We Need to Talk About Kevin” brought the basic requirements for a Winchester resurrection/reunion—including MAN HUGS—and demonstrated that one Winchester is human and one Winchester inevitably resents the other for some slight committed while he was dead or missing or whatever we’re going to call it this time around. Missing? Missing sounds good. For all intents and purposes, Dean was technically alive the entire time he was in Purgatory, though I’d love some more detail on just what being alive (or dead) in Purgatory entailed. We saw Dean slaughtering some vampire souls, but since they were SOULS, does that mean they came back to life later? Regenerating like some annoying video game baddie?

We met Benny the Friendly (for now) Vampire and watched Dean stick Benny’s soul back into his body upon returning to Earth, which confirmed that Benny was definitely dead during his time in Purgatory. But since Benny’s body didn’t go to Purgatory with him like Dean’s did, Dean could very well be facing an entirely different set of rules. However, after a year in what basically amounts to endless wilderness, Dean was looking pretty well groomed, which made absolutely no sense unless he ditched the meatsuit months ago. But then there’s always the Hell approach to the passage of time, right?

Right. Okay. So. Dean Winchester, freshly spewed from his never-ending hunting trip in Purgatory via a handy-dandy humans-only portal (really?), hitchhiked to Louisiana to reunite his new BFF Benny with his bones. They decided to part ways for a bit and Dean met up with Sam for his complimentary resurrection man hug. The entire sequence of testing Sam’s human pedigree was a nice wink toward those of us who have literally seen this process, like, three times now. Dean ended up testing himself for Sam’s benefit when Sam insisted that it was unnecessary, that he could tell that it was really Dean. Oh Sam, methinks you got soft in your early retirement.

So does Dean. Let’s see: Escape from Hell/Hell/Purgatory? Check. Man hugs? Check. Holy water test? Check. Bring on the resentment. Nothing says "Winchester Reunion" like resentment and secrecy.

To be fair to Dean, it is kind of a WTF that Sam didn’t look for him, and I sincerely hope that we get a better reason at some point this season than the whole “we promised not to look for each other” excuse. Like Dean said, that’s never stopped them before. I felt for Sam when he tried to explain that after so many years and so many dead friends and family and the loss of Bobby, followed by the apparent loss of Dean and Castiel, it was just too much to come back from. “Nothing says family quite like the whole family being dead.” Sam has seen what their constant defiance of death has done over the course of the series and at this point, maybe a small part of him is ready to finally accept that “what’s dead should stay dead.”

So while I understand where Dean’s hurt and anger is coming from, I just hope that Sam’s acceptance of his “death” doesn’t become the primary fuel for Dean’s immortal angst this season. To quote my man, comedian Lewis Black, “I don’t have the patience. I don’t have the patience.” You’re reunited. Sam explained himself. He’s sorry. Don’t be dick.

Unfortunately, not only did Sam neglect his Dean duties, he also seemed to ditch the whole hunter thing pretty fast and pretty thoroughly in general. Kevin Tran escaped from Crowley because God showed him how via another tablet, and he repeatedly called Sam for backup—calls that Sam never received. He admitted to occasionally browsing the paper for potential cases, but never followed up on them, which just added more fodder to Dean’s righteous anger.

But again, Sam’s complete abandonment of the hunter lifestyle makes sense. For Dean, hunting has always been a duty that extends beyond the family Winchester. Every hunt is personal. Dean, especially in the early days, embraced his unsung hero status. He knew he saved lives through his actions and every life saved was a tribute to his mother’s memory and a point in his father’s favor.

To Sam, hunting has always been about family, and ONLY family. As a child, he was forced into it, and without the memories of their mother that Dean drew so much strength from, coupled with Sam's rocky relationship with their father, he escaped to Stanford at the first opportunity. When the supernatural encroached on the “family” he had found with Jess, he found his reason to hunt and found that reason constantly strengthened by his loyalty to Dean, Bobby, and Castiel. With Jess’s death essentially avenged and the rest of his family apparently dead, Sam no longer had a reason to hunt. It sounds callous, but frankly, hunting was never about saving strangers for Sam. It was never about being a hero. For Dean, hunting was a duty and an honor. For Sam, it was a penance and an apology.

So despite his six-month head start, Sam and Dean eventually caught up with Kevin in an old church that he’d fortified like Macauley Culkin in Home Alone. However, Crowley'd had his feelers out for those six months and caught up with his former prisoner just as Sam and Dean went knocking. Kevin said that the tablet contained instructions for sealing Hell’s gates permanently, essentially cutting demons off from Earth for good. That's like a hunter’s wet dream and Dean jumped right on board. Sam was a bit of a straggler, but then Crowley killed Kevin’s girlfriend and Sam realized that he had a potential mini-me on his hands.

On a pit stop in the middle of nowhere, Dean took a phone call from Benny, who was feeling nostalgic for the “purity” of Purgatory. Dean reluctantly agreed. Maybe that will end up being our eternal angst this season? We got the implication that Dean did some not nice things in Purgatory and that Benny was a huge help. Despite their team-up ultimately leading to Dean's reunion with Sam, Dean is keeping Benny a secret. Benny is the new Ruby. What do you make of him?

CASE NOTES

– New title card: I like!

– “Cas didn’t make it.” Yeah, Dean. That doesn’t sound evasive at all. More please!

– I didn’t know if I would like Kevin, but I think I do. Do you?

– So are the Leviathans still a thing or is that over with?

– Kevin said that God helped him escape. By “God” do we mean Chuck? (Please mean Chuck.)

– Right before the flashback to Purgatory, Dean seemed to be utterly confused by the vending machine in front of him. Are we perhaps experiencing difficulty adapting to the real world? Is this what consequences look like? Am I setting myself up for disappointment, as usual? RESPECT THE EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE, YO.

– The fact that the Impala now smells like dog because Sam adopted the one he ran over delights me entirely more than it should. I’m just imagining Dean Febreezing the hell out of the backseat and glaring at Sam the entire time.

– What are your Purgatory theories about all the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff?

Supernatural "We Need to Talk About Kevin" Photos

Staff
Yeah I think I am out. Been following for 7 years now. Much of the same. Throw rock salt on it and light it on fire.
Oh and one more thing, where the hell is Tim? and I'm hoping that the reviewer puts the Season 8 Power Rankings back.
Thought that it was a great and solid episode. Definitely a step in the right direction towards becoming what it once was. I'm already liking this season better than the last 2. Loving Kevin so far but it still doesn't feel right with him sitting in the back of the Impala when it should be our favorite trenchcoat-wearing angel.
Worst episode EVER!
That's a tad over-dramatic. At least state why you think so.
Tull and Locamotive Breath, wow, what a great way to start!!!!!!

Super has such a great soundtrack all thru the years!!!
I admit this might be twisted, but I laughed when Dean splashed, sprayed, then cut himself, then did the same to Sam, after not seeing Sam for a year. Dean's intensity along with Sam's "WTH?" cracked me up.

Something's off about Sam, wanting to know more about the tablet, then acting like he didn't want to close the doorways, even though it's obvious he doesn't want to be a hunter.
loved it!
This episode didn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on it but, it felt like something was missing.
I'm guessing it was the strong bond and connection between the brothers. The chemistry between them felt vacant and distant.
Having watched Supernatural religiously for 7 season (including rewatching the DVDs and repeats on TNT) I have to say the Sam and Dean reunions are getting extremely tired. Dean's first trip to hell and getting mysteriously yanked out was awesome. But Sam getting trapped in hell (at leat his soul) and then reuinited again over a year later already felt repetitive. And now...Dean was stuck in purgatory for a year and they start things off right away with a reunion ONE YEAR later. New storylines please Jeremy Carver
Benny is very easy on the eyes.
What happens to monsters when they die in purgatory is an interesting question. Do they respawn somewhere else or is their existence totally wiped out for good? I doubt they're answer this question but I would like to know.
I liked the tone of the episode, this season seems promising! But I have to say, the special effects were particularly bad! The head choppings were ridiculous, I actually started laughing! I think the idea behind all the flashbacks is really good, and I can't wait for more episodes! Already liking this season more than 6 and 7 to be honest.
to have an "exit" in purgatory for humans isn't that hard to believe...

think it is pretty good idea,that if they get suck into it by mistake, that they can get out...and no one say,that any human that would get into purgatory,that he would just walk out of it

1) they need to know about "portal/exit"(whatever you wanna call it)

2) they need to kill ALOT of monsters that are in there

3) make some "friends" to help them stay alive

all 3 things above Dean had to do and more,way more to get out

titles were always awsome in supernatural!

maybe person/monster in Purgatory doesn't age? think Dean was in there around year or so...for him to be in there a week or so, is hard to believe,because he got real close with Benny I think ( not in sexual way u perverts)

Kevin is nice edition to show, but I miss Bobby and Cas
BTW: I know it's on the CW and the budget sucks, but the effects were awful tonight.
Ha! A Doctor Who reference. Where's my cookie?

It was better than the season 6 and 7, but I'm not too happy. I'll wait and see, so far I've seen an improvement, but anything is better than s6 and 7.

I don't know if I'm happy that we have already a goal...It felt kinda rushed, but it's better than a season long of boring episodes like we had not so long ago.
I've learnt many seasons back to watch Supernatural just for the demons, Cas and entertainment what nots. There are a lot of loose ends and if we dissect the episodes for stuff that didn't really add up, the fun will be gone. But having said that, bring back good ole Castiel and all the apocalyptic splendor that this show was known for and stop dishing out weak story lines that serves no purpose except as a week, God forbid, weeks' filler episode; ala remember the Paris Hilton episode and then some and then what? Duh?
All I can think is, how the hell Kevin's hair crawl to Sam's hair??? XD
What I realized after watching the truly solid episode is that Supernatural is done pandering to the fans and is striving to tell a good story and become something worth giving a damn about, regardless of what the fans want. I'm very pleased with this change in tone of Supernatural. It will never be as good as it was in seasons 3-5 (some of the best seasons ever in all of tv history), but this episode gives me hope that we're in for a spectacular ride.
I've seen a picture of Castiel for this season. He's in a stream (in Purgatory) and he looks feral,,,like a wild animal.
I'm interested in Sam's interest in where the Tablet is stashed, versus Dean's "as long as it's safe". Is Sam a little too interested?
Staff
I thought their different concerns were interesting too. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
Kevin is no Castiel. I don't hate him. He's just not the guy I want to see in that back seat.

Leviathans cannot be a thing.

Yes, Chuck has been confirmed by two sources to actually be God.

The vending machine thing is an oddly accurate representation of the culture shock that happens when you leave civilization for a year. That's not like them at all.

Dean was in Purgatory so long he saw Castiel die of old age.

Kevin "There's a demon in you, and you're going to your safety school."

Channing: "What?!"
Tim, come back!! That is all.
I was pleasantly surprised by Kevin - was expecting the helpless, clueless, slightly whiny kid from last season. Instead we got a fairly determined Mini-MacGuyver who seemed to actually have a BRAIN. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking Dean's carrying some not-so-good baggage from this trip "down under". Will be interesting to see if there's any (more) PTSD, difference in morality etc. after his little hookup with the vamp. I mean, just the fact that they're calling each other "brother" is setting off MAJOR alarmbells - was he just a replacement for Sam, a neccessary way of filling a familyshaped whole in Dean's life, or is there more to it?

Dean being stumped by the vending machine makes sense to me - he spent months surviving in the wilderness, probably by eating whatever didn't eat him first, and here's a whole machine with LOTS of CHOICES, right there in front of him - I mean, even normal people in an everyday setting get stuck thinking "OMG, too many choices, can't decide" - so having Dean have a quiet little OMG/freak out worked for me.
I didn't like it. I didn't find Sam's behavior believable at all. The Sam we've been following for seven years would have done something to try to find his brother, wouldn't have been that freaked out by an injured dog, and wouldn't have turned his back on Kevin like that. I do find it believable that he would eventually move on, but not until Kevin was reasonably safe.

Their version of purgatory didn't make enough sense to me. OK, it's a place where a bunch of monsters have been dumped, but what do these monsters do there? Just kill each other all the time? There wouldn't be many left in that case. Did God also fill that place with animals so that they would have something to eat? Is there water there? Is everyone running around aimlessly in the woods? Are there towns, cities, farms, governments? If Dean had been there for a day, these things would have been irrelevant, but he was there for a year, so they're not.

Maybe I wouldn't have cared about the details if they had gotten the characters right, but I don't think they did. Sam was like a completely different person, and Castiel wasn't even there.

Why wasn't Misha Collins in the episode? This makes me concerned that the new showrunner doesn't understand how much worse the show got when they killed off both Bobby and Castiel, or that they're desperately trying to save as much money they can. Both options are bad for us.
Well, there obviously is a reason for Sams behavior, his not looking for dean, his reluctance to close gates of hell, etc., they (thankfully) just haven't disclosed that yet in the first episode. We will obviously get more details on purgatory and what happened there (including Castiel) in further flashbacks though I doubt they will go much into 'Purgatory society'.

And I love Castiel and Bobby as much as the next guy but I definitely hope that they stay dead, you can't drag an ensemble cast on forever, if Supernatural is to survive they need to refocus the show on the two brothers on the road with occasional companions (Kevin at the moment, whos change to 'badass' was suprisingly believable). If you just cater to the fans and put their favourite characters in every ep or every season the show becomes bad fanfiction, that's a fact. That being said, if they want they can easily bring Bobby and Castiel back (Remember the first seasons where one of the major questions that was never answered was 'were do ghosts go when they don't move on but are burned?' - If humans can leave Angels can propably too and Bobby could hitch a ride with Castiel).
More +
I hope you're right about the reason. It's just that since they didn't really hint that there's an explanation coming, Sam's behavior just made the episode feel wrong somehow.

Castiel has already been brought back from the dead (twice actually, if you count the instant respawn), and I don't doubt that he'll be back from purgatory as well.
Hope it won't be a 'bad dean' season .. seeking pure kills or what not.

Kind have to understand Sam .. why the heck even bother looking ... its always the same. Move on dean .. .. Sam wasn't even that surprised when Dean was back, Its you again .. yeh!

It was a good okay episode.
"He's sorry. Don't be dick."

Is Sam sorry? He didn't apologize or say he was sorry to Dean about not looking for him. Sam apologized to Kevin, but not Dean. (the one time Sam did say he was sorry was because of Castiel, not because Sam didn't look for Dean)

Also, I think Dean is entitled to be hurt and upset that Sam didn't bother to try and find out what happened to Dean. I don't think that makes Dean a dick at all. I completely understand Dean's feelings and I think he has a right to feel that way.
Were those vampires or ghouls? Or something else? The teeth didn't look quite right for vampires.
Yeah, Beeny looked awfully comfy in broad daylight (for a vamp) .
Don't think they were vamps, especially because they were all the same. In the beginning I entertained the thought that they might be some kind of monster which all souls who go to purgatory become and half expected Dean to show some teeth aswell. His refusal of dinner in the cabin and his longing looks at the doritos furthered my suspicions, so I was a bit relieved when he finally ate that Burger ;-)

Oh, and I definitely like the Benny character, given the fact that he had very little screentime and, well, is new, that's remarkable. Same thing with the introduction of Kevin as a regular, they pulled that off suprisingly well.
Maybe Benny's a Jefferson Starship! haha jp... in all news articles and spoilers online they've been calling him Benny the vampire, however maybe that was just an assumption I dunno. So many rules have been bent and broken on this show that it wasnt until I read these comments that I even batted an eyelash at Benny being out in broad daylight lol.
"Respect the emotional baggage , yo" has become my new mantra :D

Really enjoyed the episode. I think the best way to describe it would be to say "There was no bullshit". Story established, no stupid dialogue. Everything to the point. Dean busting Sam's balls seemed reasonable and understandable. Sam's point of view also seems reasonable which makes the argument between them real. Kevin was good (he was a tad annoying last season). Crowley finally did something horrible by killing Kevin's girlfriend and looked menacing and strong with his usual snappy-talking-thing, burning the demon knife and walking calmly by the Winchesters. He's starting to feel dangerous again which I missed last season.

Liked the flashbacks as well. Good episode.
Staff
"There was no bullshit" is TOTALLY accurate. LOVING the legitimately evil Crowley.
I am thinking that in order for Benny to hitch a ride with Dean it might have involved some sort of angel sacrifice. I haven't heard anything about Misha Collins appearing this season, but perhaps in the flashbacks we will see Dean having been directly responsible for Cas not making it back.

I am interested to see how different time is in Purgatory. In hell it went life dog years, for every month on earth it was years in hell. I wonder if that is how purgatory was or if time was just perhaps frozen-had no meaning at all.

Kevin was okay. I like having a link to God but I wish they would explore God a little more-I thought in the fifth or was it sixth season we would find out where He was and what the heck happened up in Heaven and was disappointed that the thread was just left there hanging. I mean, we have met monsters, demons, prophets, angels and even the devil-the boys have even been to Heaven but we have yet to see God.

I don't think that Benny is the new Ruby-cuz there was sex going on there I think right? I think that Benny helped save Deans ass and he probably feels a brotherly bond with him and is not ready to admit that to anyone-especially given his "all monsters are evil" philosophy that led to him killing that friend of Sams a while back (Amy I think)

I really don't like that vet chick that made Sam take the dog. Kinda thinking she might be a demon or something...but hey, that might just be wishful thinking.
Hate to break it to you Rebecca, but I'm pretty sure the vet is Amelia, Sam's new squeeze...I was sooo annoyed by her, and shes not very pretty IMO, I mean they couldn't have found a hotter girl to be with Sam?? And as for Castiel, I heard that the flashbacks were really only going to be going on consistently for the first four or five episodes of the season...thats not to say some mind blowing flashback/revelation might not be revealed in later episodes but I do think Cas is going to turn up in the present. Kevin has definetly grown on me...my only wish is to see God (hopefully Chuck as God) show up...that'd be boss.
I thought she was attractive, and it's a subjective thing, and Sam certainly isn't any more attractive than she is AND she's a veterinarian and he's an unemployed headcase who might get her killed, so I would say he's the undeserving one in the relationship so far.

I just really got annoyed at your comment, what a weird thing to say! A beautiful actress isn't hot enough for Sam? Because people date based solely on looks, and women have nothing else to offer?
Considering how long ago I wrote that, I can't tell you what kind of place I was in or how I was feeling at the time. I can tell you that to me, even still, I do not find the actress that played Amelia to be very attractive.. But all around I just didn't like how they wrote her character and that particular storyline... Matter of opinion I suppose...
The comment following it, about how they should have found a "hotter" actress for Sam, that was rude and ignorant. I don't feel at all that people should be judged solely on their looks, and what's inside a person is much, much more important. I understand why my comment offended you, and I thank you for taking the time to say something about it. It is through reflection of our mistakes that we grow as people.
@Madelynn1984- I wish I had unwatched eps of Supernatural to watch.. I'm a lil jealous actually lol. Enjoy :)
Haha, sorry, you're right, I shouldn't complain about a comment you made so long ago. I'm just catching up on these episodes now. Thanks for the nice reply. I just had a bad reaction to the comment, and I hate it when women diss each other based on looks (or really for most stupid reasons). Sounds like you agree with me, and just an offhand comment. Have a good one.
The writers said Misha will appear in "at least 8 episodes this season" so I guess it will be more than just flashbacks.
remember now those flasbacks will play throughout the whole season.
It was an all right episode. I like that they are finally just getting back to Crowley and the demons. Closing the hell gates? Sure. I buy that as an endgame. That is their wheelhouse and they do it well so do it well. As for the rest it was all right. Nothing too special, nothing too ludicrous just Sam and Dean and Kevin. I can buy that too.

Notes:

Cas either went native or he went hippie cas like in the future. And sits around meditating and if someone bothers him he zaps them or something. Who knows. It could be something awesome like Dean left him there. And then they have to deal with that.

I like Kevin. They are in need of a new Bobby and he fits the bill. Plus he is a prophet so there is that.

I am with Sam on this. Let dead things be dead. Don't bring them back. They were the worst enemy they have had.

It better be Chuck, I am still pissed we don't have any answer of that. It has to be Chuck.

Maybe he has purgatory PTSD. Who knows.

Everyone is getting a dog this year. Reese has one and now sam.

Well if 4 months in hell was like 40 years. What is a year in purgatory? Or are they going to gloss over that. He had to be in there a while. More than a year.

And Benny is probably the new Ruby. I can deal with it. But it is weird.
Is it a catchphrase? I think nearly every evaluation you make begins with the words: "It was an all right episode."
No. Do you think it should be? If it was a fantastic episode I would say so. But is was just all right. Last weeks POI episode was fantastic. I will try better next time.

Plus I am not watching the shows that I ripped into them being horrible. Which was and still is New Girl and American Horror Story. I don't want to watch them again. But if it helps break up the monotony. I can watch an episode and critique the hell out of it. Let me know.
Seriously you don't like American Horror Story??? I found it to be original, and amazing...I was completely engrossed during the whole first season.. Very much looking forward to season 2. What was it about season one you disliked so much, just out of curiosity?
Deans comments of what happened to Castiel were definitely puzzling. I highly doubt he was killed,,,again. Could he have succumbed to Lucifer? I never believed Lucifer was just a hallucination last season.
lisa127

I agree with everything theopratt just said 100%. Also,what's up with what Dean said to Benny: "I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but what we did down there is what we had to do & I don't regret it for a second. Maybe we need to lay low until we both adjust..."?

What could they have done? Something to Castiel? Eat vampires to survive? What happened that caused them to be so close? Why did Dean (and now Benny, too) think purgatory was so pure?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Deans reference to Purgatory as being pure meant that existence there was down to bare bone basics. Kill or be killed,,,nothing else whatsoever. As for him and the vampire doing something to Castiel, I doubt it. Dean didn't have an Angel killing sword, and Castiel would be far more powerful than a vampire. Actually, aside from the Leviathan, Castiel was probably the most powerful being in Purgatory.
I think like me all the Supernatural fans ( well at least when this was a top notch tv show) wants Cas back to what he used to be. Not the evil (stupid) version of the last seasons.
Yea I was wondering why Castiel seems to have a beard in promo and the 8.02 pictures but Dean doesn't, it's weird.

The reason Crowley found Kevin just as Sam and Dean did was because they were the idiots that alerted the demon-girlfriend while Kevin himself apparently was careful and smart enough to avoid the demons in some way (did he know she was a demon? is this explained?)
It wasn't explained about Kevin knowing to steer clear from his ex-gf but I had also assumed he knew somehow that she was a demon.
ok so first I totally have a confession. this is the first time I will be watching the show on its original broadcast after catching up on the whole thing on Netflix.

secondly I love the scenes from purgatory and they way they are being addressed with flashbacks, and how Dean just seems really not at ease anywhere. He hates sitting around the hotel room. it seemed the only 2 times he was happy this episode was when he got back in the impala (until he smelled dog) and when Sam got him his burger. Where I love seeing him all dark, I also loved it when he is a little more light hearted and sarcastic, hopefully he forgives Sam soon and we start getting those great one liners again.

I really didn't like the way Sam left in the middle of the night, it just really really seemed cowardly and out of character for him. Atleast to me, but I could be wrong. But we will see where this goes I guess.
streaming supernatural through Netflix is shit. They removed the awesome soundtrack and replaced it with generic crap, they took out carry on wayward son, faith from the first season isn't the same without dont fear the reaper, and no In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in the skin episode when the swat team busts in.

sorry for the rage just cant stand a fan not knowing the awesome music of supernatural
What?? Is this true?? I may never watch a show on Netflix again, if so. It's not worth the risk of seeing a modified version!
What?! That is unacceptable. The music is one of the defining characteristics of the show, and like you said, just plain awesome.

I didn't even know they could do that...I thought once they obtained the music rights for the episode it applied for it's various distributions as well.
Unfortunately they do it A LOT in tv shows on Netflix, in fact I have many seasons of different shows on DVD that the music has been changed in, the dvd's for Dawson's Creek immediately come to mind, they even changed the opening credit's music. Some licenses must just be really specific and/or expensive. I agree that Supernatural's music is a huge part of what makes the show so awesome. And Danette, welcome to the club, better late then never right!? I didn't jump in until seeing the first 4 seasons air on TNT, season 5 was the first I saw new episodes.
Yeah, why did Sam just sneak out on her and just get back on the road? He could have at least told her that he was going on a trip or whatever. Also, any idea what work he did during his year off? Like Dean was a construction worker (I think?). And the vet lady needs to step up her game because she was even worse than S6 Lisa.
Agreed about the vet, lol I never thought another woman on Supe would make Lisa look better in comparison....
Staff
Nothing wrong with that! I didn't start watching live until the end of the 4th season.

I was weirded out by Sam leaving in the middle of the night too. It's like, look, you kept hunting from Jess and see what happened? You'd think he would have learned. Even Dean let LISA in on it.
What, no mention of the awesomest quote of the whole episode?

- That's like Sasha Grey going legit.

- She did a Soderbergh movie.

- What?
I didn't even catch that one. WTH?
And I really missed Kansas' "Carry on Wayward Son"! I didn't dislike the song they chose but just wasn't feeling it, although I like the rest of the music. I usually like variation, but Wayward Son is just so perfect for this show and especially for those beginning- and end-of-season montages that it just didn't seem like Supernatural without it. From the lyrics to the alternatively pensive, emotional, and rockin' tones of the song, plus the classic rock feel, it just fits like a glove. You'd think it was written for this show!
That's a season finale thing. Season openers have a variety of songs. For example, season 5 had "Long, Long Way from Home" by Foreigner.
Thanks for the correction, I couldn't remember for sure about the openers. See, it's so perfect I still missed it anyway lol. But I actually did have that song in my head all day knowing the premiere was that night.
Solid start to the new season! Like the new title card, it's always fun to see what they choose each season. Crowley's always awesome, I'm diggin' Kevin so far and his outsmarting the demons, and Benny has potential. I'm interested to see how his alliance with Dean plays out and especially what it is they had to do in purgatory. My first thought was sacrificing Cas but we'll see. We know Dean can go very dark when he has to, like the things he had to do in hell, so it's not surprising he might've done some questionable things in purgatory. And his PTSD seems entirely appropriate. He was probably constantly hunted the whole time and even if he still required sleep in purgatory, how could you sleep? You wouldn't want to close your eyes and let your guard down for a second. The action was awesome in the flashbacks and Dean was totally bad-ass. And I agree about the guys reasons for hunting and it makes sense that Sam quit and that Dean would resent him. I'm not sure about Sam quitting so quickly though...that he didn't at least try to find Dean & Cas, or help Kevin seemed odd. I can understand if he tried, hit complete dead-ends and then decided to quit. Or maybe more will be revealed about that.

The only thing I really didn't like was the vet. We didn't see much of her so she might grow on me. But I didn't care for the actress' performance and she and Jared had zero chemistry. And her guilt-tripping him seemed weird and inappropriate even though I get the parallel about him taking responsibility and following through, as with his family and friends. But that might have to do with the actress' delivery. We'll see how she does in future episodes with more to do. But I loved the whole thing with the dog and the Impala lol.

Overall I really enjoyed this episode and am so glad to have my guys back!
Staff
The guilt-tripping really bothered me too. I just adopted a dog myself and there were a few hoops to jump through in regard to SHOWING that my fiance and I are capable and responsible pet owners. I can't imagine any vet essentially forcing someone to take an animal that they aren't 100% enthusiastic about adopting.

It was a solid ep overall though, definitely!
Exactly! And maybe I missed it but how exactly did she know it didn't already belong to someone?
"So are the Leviathans still a thing or is that over with?"

--> OH GOD! Please let this be over.

""Cas didn't make it." Yeah, Dean. That doesn't sound evasive at all. More please!"

--> I think they used Cas to cross from purgatory. Maybe an ingredient needed to escape was an angel? Just a theory.
I must confess, I didn't even think about the whole Dean was passing actual time in Purgatory and shouldn't he have like, I don't know, a beard or something? Not a totally unusual thing in TV shows, call your actor about six weeks before you film the flashback stuff, ask him not to shave or get a hair cut, film all the flashback stuff and then your actor can have a scene when traveling of revealing himself back to himself in a restroom (it would take thirty seconds).

Anyway, I like Kevin, I like how he is kind of a cross between early Sam and Dean. He is smart, this wasn't the life he intended to have, a demon killed his girlfriend, but...I just kind of got the impression when Sam was doing his apology speech and he said this isn't the life you wanted that Kevin was pointedly not looking at Sam. Then he was getting a kick out of what they could do and save the world like Dean.

I am going to guess that because they were making careful effort to point out the portal was a human only one that maybe they tried a hitchhiker thing with Dean for both Cas and Benny but it didn't seem to work with Cas and Dean had to leave (or and this just seems freakier, but Dean left thinking Cas disappeared but as soon as he was rid of Benny's soul , perhaps Cas took over a bit of Dean and that could factor into a little more of the unnerve that Dean is suffering)
Thanks for the recap, it's so hard to find anyone who reviews Supernatural anymore!

I am in purgatory with Dean but I must say...how cute does Sam look? Love him with the longer hair. It seemed to be in the 'in-between' stage last season. Okay, I'm gonna get back to the show. Sorry for the unnecessary broadcast interruption! ;-)
Awwww no I don't like Sam's long hair at all! He looks like a clothed Tarzan or something. It's too long, it flies out when he walks and bounces when he talks o.O Dean's Purgatory hair, on the other hand, epic.
Same here. I kept thinking, "get a haircut, dude."
Same here. I kept thinking, "get a haircut, dude."
Great episode. I think we are going to see a common book twist before the end of this season. Boys are probably going to close hell gates thus giving an opportunity to some other power to fill up a vacuum left after the disappearance of demons.
Purgatory is not meant for humans, that's why they can get out duuhhhh. Loved the reunion scene of the brothers I agree Dean's face when Sam got him the burger was priceless (If Chuck or Castiel was still God, Jensen Ackles would have a few Emmys by now)

I think Dean was forced to do something awful to Castiel cause the angel "changed" in Purgatory. We will see how Mischa Collins returns. The idea of them trying to find a way to seal Hell forever is AWESOME & opens a lot of storylines in my opinion not ends the show.

Even if Hell closes, there's Purgatory still. What if Castiel to get out accidentally opens Purgatory for good? hmmm

I have always loved that the relationship of the brothers is so realistic. I mean of course Dean would be pissed that Sam stopped & didn't even look for him and I understand Sam who stopped hunting. So there wasn't a reunion and everything is hunky dory (like a lot of unrealistic shows) there is tension, there is supposed to be tension. Dean not being hard on Sam, would not be Dean anymore

Really intrigued by the vamp.
Having an out for humans in Purgatory was a cheat. And it seems Cas may be gone for good.

It also seems that this tablet could mean the writers are getting ready to wrap up the show. But even without demons there would still be vampires and other creatures to deal with.
Things I really liked:

- Ty Olsson is good, seriously. You do not know whether to trust him or not. What a mystery his relationship with Dean. In the sense that clearly they are tied and Benny called him 'brother' but I do not think Dean will put his own trust on him 100% . The final dialogue is mysterious to perfection and makes you wonder what the hell happened in Purgatory and why Dean likes him.

- Dean? I mean, WOW o.O He's deadly, less emotional, more down to earth ... and there is a bit of post-traumatic shock especially when he's watching the kids play, the distributor's scene, the insomnia and when Sam gives him a sandwich and chips to eat.

- The flashbacks of the Purgatory are FABULOUS. The colors, the direction, everything. And I also liked that Dean was determined to find Cass there. Which makes you wonder what really happened with my favourite Angel.

- The new title card is FANTASTIC. Welcome back to the rock n roll, too. The music in Supernatural is one of the most defining elements as for Sons of Anarchy.

- Crowley badassing all the way and this new version of Kevin.

A very solid premiere. I know that we can't go back to the first five seasons in terms of quality, storyline, mythology, epic moments, heartbreaks, etc... but Supernatural is Supernatural.

And, now, "where's the Angel?".
Dean's first scene, Benny and purgatory! How frickin' badass was it! A really solid start to the season which is looking highly promising.

- The new title card is simply Awesome (with a capital A)!

- Of course purgatory, and thereby Dean and Castiel's story will be pursued in the future episodes. I like that they didn't do an exposition dialogue between the two and get it over with. This is so much better.

- Leviathans can come in anytime just like demons, but let them not be the main focus. Hoping they end that atrocity properly.

- Kevin meant the word of God. I really liked Chuck, but the ambiguity to his character, whether he really is God or just one of the prophets, is what makes him that much more mysterious and likable.

- He's still traumatized by the events. And like he said, he misses the raw visceral quality of purgatory life and is finding it difficult to adjust in our world. I thought he was acting like he was happy when Sam said the burger was for him. I don't think he feels hungry anymore.

- SAM NEEDS A BUZZ CUT! Crowley was right! That floppy mope has to go! On a bright note, Impala is finally back for good!

- Wonder if time flows slowly like it did in hell. Probably not.
I thought this was a solid start to the season. The Leviathans are probably going to be a loose end to tie up sometime during the season now that the demons are taking point again. And I'm really interested to see where the sealing of Hell's Gates is going to go, especially because it might be a multi-SEASON arc, according to Jeremy Carver.

And I know this was a tiny moment of acting brilliance, but when Sam bought Dean his cheeseburger, did anyone else notice the face Dean made to Sam that pretty much said "Aw, you shouldn't have, but I love you so much right now..."? I loved it.
Load More Comments