Syfy Backpedals, Cancels Eureka

Syfy is canceling its longest-running scripted show, the light-hearted small-town sci-fi series Eureka, mere days after it announced the show's renewal. How does that work, you ask? Less than a week ago, the network ordered a shortened, six-episode sixth season with the implication that it would be the series' last. But late last night, EW.com confirmed that the sixth season won't be happening and that the upcoming 13-episode fifth season will be the show's last. Eureka is currently in the second half of its fourth season.

Before we all let our emotions get the best of us, let's look at this news objectively. Syfy has a history of angering its fans (the best fans out there, am I right!?!?!), both by canceling beloved series like Stargate Universe and "rebranding" itself by adding cooking shows (barf). But Eureka's producers will at least have plenty of time to wrap things/create a satisfying finish, and five full seasons is a very respectable run.

Okay, ready for a "That said..."? That said, what on Earth is going on at SyFy? Who orders a sixth season of a series only to backtrack and cancel it less than a week later? Eureka fans, you have every right to feel jerked around. But at least the series will ride off into the sunset with closure.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Actually I think we only have 1 more Episode to watch. If you look at season 4 of Eureka you will notice that they actually have both Season 4 and Season 5 wrapped in one season. I am not sure why it was done this way.
Why do networks always axe the good shows to bring in more crap?
I got introduce and addicted to Eureka by my kids and Netficks; I love watching back to back episodes! Now my kids tell me that it is cancelled! Just like regular TV when they don't listen to the views on their opinions; word to the wise; they cancelled the original Star Trek and boy were they sorry!!!
Wonder what they're gonna fill that time slot with... Maybe some more mindless pro wrestling, reality competitions and an endless stream of godawful movies (except the occasional airings of Serenity). Why on earth would they cancel Eureka of all things? *sniff*
Damn... What's wrong with you syfys!
Finally... one of the dumbest shows on TV is yanked ;)
Or at least the dark overlords at syfy will fall to the Jedi
you know with another season upcoming syfy might change their minds
first it was Farscape, then SG-1, then SG:A, now Eureka.

at this rate, soon SciFI (i'll NEVER call them SyFy willingly) will be the MTV of science fiction.

you remember MTV right? MUSIC television? it was this marvelous channel that played MUSIC back in the 80s and 90s? i can't remember the last time they actually played music on MTV. (TRL didn't count because what little music they did play was inevitably and incessantly preempted by screaming tweens who just wanted the attention their parents should have given them but didn't.)

now SciFi is heading down the same road. replacing good SCIENCE FICTION shows with wrestling, "reality" TV, and just about anything that would never survive on NBC's main network.

with Eureka ending, the only show left i'll watch is Warehouse 13, and something tells me, they'll find an excuse to cancel it as well. probably for the new wrestling-based reality show where Snooki, Paris Hilton, and The Undertaker travel the world trying to find something or do something that nobody gives a flaming crap about.

meanwhile, i'll be watching Doctor Who on BBCAmerica and Torchwood on Starz.
I have absolutely no problem with this.

Don't get me wrong, I love eureka, it's a fun show.

But the best thing that can happen to a show is to have it's cancellation one season in advance.

I hate it when shows I like just get cancelled leaving the fans without a proper ending.
too true

I mean look at Firefly, Dark Angel, Freaks And Geeks, and the list goes on.
As much as I love Eureka, this doesn't surprise me. The syfy channel has gone down the s**ttube ever since it changed it's name.
Sigh. Bastards. And I agree with chevrolet7442. Wrestling? Really? Stargates had pretty much run their course, but I'd rather watch those reruns than freakin' wrestling (of course, if there was ever a sport that could be considered pure sci-fi I guess professional wrestling is right up there. But I would love it if they would bring back threshold.
Time someone canceled all the executives at SCI-FI (SY-FY), since they changed the name the station has gone downhill fast. Fire them all, start over with TRUE SCI-FI lovers, give us back Eureka, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, cancel the wrestling, food shows, reality crap which all belongs on NBC (Nothing But Crap) Pick up the broadcast rights and bring back Threshold, Surface, V, The Event, Moonlight and many other True Sci-Fi shows. Or maybe BBC America can step in, they seem to have more Sci-fi than Sy-Fy.
I have but one single word for the people at SyFy, and that word is as follows....

FAIL!

That is all.
Not a surprise. Remember, Syfy changed their name specifically to distance themselves from the mainstream view of the Science Fiction/Fantasy geek. That in my opinion is the start of the downfall.. give it 10 years and they will have a completely different name and will never show sci-fi stuff.
Disappointed. Not surprised. Stopped watching Wharehouse and Sanctuary this year.

Struggling with Eureka and Haven.

Why not cancel them all and start over with some NEW ideasw.
yea like bring back stargate atlantis!
Hey SyFy Here's you new logo!

Sci Fi

Sy Fy

WWW Rys (World Wide Wrestling Reality Shows)

How do we as fans get a chance to make a difference and have network idiots listen to their loyal viewers! Syfy has pissed me off so many times by cancelling good shows and showing wrestling and food that I just want to throw up! PLEASE who can we write to at syfy?
I am SPEECHLESS! And that's saying something about me! I mean look at how they aired this season. They aired ten episodes then it goes on break for like for EVER. Then WOO HOO it's BACK ... no wait ... for ONE episode and then its on break again like for EVER. Now its back and we're all getting involved with our geeky family and SyFy pulls the plug! REALLY! You know SYFY lost me when they changed their name TO SyFy. What's with that? Are they trying to be COOL? That's all I have to say!
As so many of these comments have said, SyFy, has become Sy-Why. Surely there is enough reality TV for everyone. Only so many Islands to survive or great races to win or Wrestling matches to show, or crap suburbs to write 90210 thing about.... Start thinking about what will come, what should come, what can come into existence. Gene would be turning in his "vacuum" grave to think of this right now.
By the way, the best Sci-Fi programming hasn't been on SyFy in years. Try BBC America (or the real thing, if you can get it).
Eureka fans, welcome to the Farscape cafe. After they jerked around this FANTASTIC title, I stopped watching "SyFy" [ok, seriously?!? This is what happens when marketing directors try to understand geek culture.] I've never seen Eureka, but I'm sure that it's love is deserved. I feel your pain.
Eureka is just a FUN show that anyone can enjoy, from kids to adults. That can't be said of many shows now days, lots of us look forward to watching, so WHY Not just keep it !?
Really upset about the canceling of Eureka. This is one of my favorite shows and they have not even scratched the surface of some of the unique story-lines they could create. I wanted to see Bill Mumy as one of the cast members.
This has got to be one of the best shows you have on the air at syfy. Why on earth would you cancel such a good show???? It has it all, the syfy brand and all of the extra's. What are you thinking? Maybe not at all.
SyFy - you have lost me forever now! Eureka was my favorite show!
Come on, why do networks keep renewing crappy shows and cancelling good ones it doesn't make any sense! Stupid network executives!
Let me guess we get more WWE instead...Stupid Movie Syfy...Warehouse 13 or Sanctuary next???? Why don't you just get it over with and change the line up and name to Fantasy Sports and Food! This ranks right up there with Nina Tasler(CBS) and cancelling Moonlight.
i am disappoint.
Disappointed but not surprised. Syfy have had far too much "form" for this - they cancelled SG Atlantis (shamefully with collusion of the show's producers) and publicly insulted the fans, then wondered why universe failed! Eureka was intelligent sci-fi and its xovers with Warehouse 13 were a nice touch of "world building realism" - remember Charmed where the supposedly devastated sisters apparently forgot Pru ever existed? I also liked the subtle way Erica Serra and Niall Matter portrayed Jo/Zane's situation over S3-4; in the old timeline, Zane grew up because he realised it was the only way to win Jo, in this timeline, Zane has never had that incentive, until now. Serra also plays the role so you realise she isn't being femalely awkward - not just Eureka but everyone in on their secret is dependent on her ability to kick ass, she can't be selfish and just give into this timeline Zane until she can be sure he's got her back. At least Eureka has plenty of time to get S5 right, unlike other poor shows like Angel and Altantis and I'd like to see Zane and Jo have a happy ending - and Carter too. Ok, I'm sentimental, but I really was uncomfortable with the whole Zane - Zoe thing - she's barely 18 and he/Jo are supposedly nearly 30; men should be romantically attracted to women, not adolescent children. Supernatural did the same thing in S2 when 18 year old blonde Alona Tal was initially intended to be a love interest for nigh on 30 year old Dean - in real life Zane and Dean would have been arrested within 5 minutes, so why are the producers letting some lecherous TV exec influence the show's characters. Eureka doesn't need to go to the gutter - its cast, writers and production are good enough to make it on talent, as they've proved. If Syfy proves true to form, Warehouse-13 will only last 5 seasons, then the only thing we'll be watching in the UK is repeats - in this country we have a rich sci-fi legacy, and we are sci-fi gourmets, which I think Syfy will realise when it finally wonders why nobody is watching its tat of wrestling, reality and daytime filler shows and why its repeats of cancelled classics get the highest ratings.
Part of the reason my late husband and I switched to satellite was that our cable provider wasn't in a hurry to supply the SciFi channel out here in the boontoolies. Now I hardly ever watch it. They only have a few episodes per "season" of the few sci-fi series they actually put on the air, and fill the rest of the time with so-called reality (should be called wild fantasy) shows and wrestling and obnoxious horror movies. Now I know wrestling is fantasy, but it doesn't belong on a sci-fi channel. Yeah, BBC America is doing better than the channel that is supposed to be dedicated to science fiction -- hear that, SyFy? You're failing!!!
For a network that ascribes itself the name SyFy it sure goes a long way to rub the fans of Sci-Fi up the wrong way. I can understand that US TV programming is a cut throat business. I can understand canceling a show that's not performing well. However, this sounds like a group of people with the mentality six year olds who are being paid a lot more than I am to air their dirty laundry in public. As an aside, I was looking in the thesaurus for another word for 'stupid' and guess what I saw? A picture of the SyFy logo! ;-)
This sucks!!! I don't get them saying it 's the second part of Season 4 when TV.com shows Season 4 started 7-29-10 ... Doesn't that mean Season FIVE started THIS July 2011?
Do these people have press conferences to explain themselves? If they do please post them here because I really want to know what they are doing over there at SYFY. I never got into the show but I am a Sci-Fi fan for most of my life and I am just confused. Can someone please start a new channel with Sci-Fi in mind. Thanks
I am probably going to get flamed for this but this season has been pretty bad. Carter solving nearly every crises with his clownish every man solution has gone from way too predictable to just plain boring.

Somewhere between the beyond obvious solution that all the geniuses can't see right in front of their faces and the insultingly convenient way the stories play out has become eye-rollingly bad.

Don't get me wrong, I am addicted to this show, but it has been dying for a while. Better to put it out of its misery.
When my cable went fiber-optic in the late 90's, they polled users on which five new networks should be added and I led the charge by saying Sci-Fi 5 times. These were the days when Sci-Fi shows mainly second-run classic series but had also becomes the home of great "new" series like SG-1. Now with a few notable exceptions - Eureka one of the best - there ain't much Sci-Fi on SyFy - home of (admittedly mostly paranormal) reality shows, wrestling (I've never understood this!), and just plain junk. What is it? Does SyFy just hate Sci-Fi or just the fans?
Syfy I stood by you ever since I was five, you just killed the dreams of millons just thought you should know.
Hating SyFy.
If SyFy really need to cancel a show, pls cancel Haven.

Omg, we r going to miss Eureka....
Hey, hey, watch it now ... I like Haven :-)

... but I'll really miss Eureka - loved Carter and the other characters - hope they end it with everyone flying off to Titan .... and the few remaining behind get drafted by Warehouse 13 ... LOL!
Syfy was for many years my main source of great shows but in the past couple of years it has killed the great shows and replace them with the no so great. I watched Syfy for great Sci-Fi not the same old show seen on every other channel. Lets hope another channel can pick on the great things Syfy used to do.
This sucks...Maybe we can get some petition going and show the execs at Syfy how many people care about the show. Who knows, maybe we can get the six episodes we were promised.
What can you expect from a network that cancels original, quality programing like the Stargate franchise and replaces it with wrestling and so-called 'reality' shows. Also, what is with these split 'seasons'? Instead of showing multiple episodes of 'Ghost Hunters' on a single night, or repeating the same episode of ANY show 3-4 times in a week, why not give us the full line-up and at least 20 episodes per season? At least that would make the DVD bundles a little more appetizing.
thats upsetting i love eureka but lately it hasn't been the same show i fell in love with 5 seasons ago.
SyFy must have lost its mind totally is there absolutly no brain function in there exec offices?

What would possably posses them to do this. . They are on par with our totally dysfunctional congress , wonder if there is a tie in there, if it is absolutele stupid they vote for it. SyFy will end up loosing

What is really disturbing is that BBC America now has MORE scifi programming than SyFy does. They were able to accomplish this by buying the syndication rights for BSG, ST:TNG and the X-Files...

Why in the world SyFy passed over those opportunities, sold it's highest rated show ever to a competitor and is adding more and more pathetic "reality" programming that no one seems to be watching is a mystery.

My only theory is that the channel has been taken over by aliens who don't want us to think about "What if?" but what's on other channels. One of SyFy's shows came too close to the truth about the aliens' conspiracy to enslave everyone and they had to get rid of ANY programming that might reveal the truth.

That's why they're encouraging the brain numbing wrestling, cooking and ghost shows, along with the D level Saturday Night Monster Movie Schlockfest.
SyFy has been emulating NBC for quite a few years now.

It seems most of the networks will cancel any show not rated above X (amount differs between networks), then only continue if fans rally for the show.

I consider a network's loyalty to its fans before I begin watching a new series.
Staff
makes sense...SyFy is *owned* by NBC Universal!
SciFy used to be my favorite channel. BBC America has better programming and I find I seldom tune to SyFy at all anymore.
I always look forward to watching Eureka. I think it is a great fun show. Now you are taking it off. Warehouse 13 will not last much longer nor will Alphas. Actually I have very disappointed in Wardhouse 13 this year. It no longer holds my interest not like Eureka. Alphas is growing on me. I think it is kinda neat.

What is SyFy going to put in its place now more wresting. Like there is not enough of that already on TV. Talk about fake give me a break.

I guess if Alphas is cancelled I am done with SyFy. Monday night is the only night of the week that I watch SyFy and that is because of Eureka. I guess when every thing that is worth watching on SyFy I don't have to worry about this channel.

KEEP EUREKA ON SYFY.
Eureka has higher ratings than Alphas, so it seems like Alphas would also be a goner by Syfy standards
I've watched Eureka from the start and it's had some great moments and storylines. BUT this latest series has been pretty poor. Maybe it's better to finish with a flourish (assuming that the final series will regain some of its previous lustre) than to let it limp along until we just want to put it down.
Load More Comments