Syfy Closes Stargate Universe

Happy Holidays from Syfy! Just in time for the winter festivities, the network has decided to play Grinch and cancel Stargate Universe after two seasons, reports Deadline Hollywood. The second half of Season 2 will air next spring as planned, but hopes for a third-season renewal have been crushed.

Stargate Universe was the third proper live-action television series of the Stargate franchise, following Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. It's been a long time since television has been without at least one Stargate program on the air, but it looks like that will be the case as no new Stargate series are in development.

I know a lot of you are huge fans of the show, and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm not sure it's fair to direct your anger and negative energy towards Syfy, but I wouldn't blame you if you did. With Stargate Universe off the air, it becomes another darker, "real" (for lack of a better word) science-fiction show that Syfy has blasted into the cancellation wormhole.

Syfy still has Warehouse 13, Haven, and Eureka on its schedule and is adding Being Human, but those are all Earth-bound shows that don't target the same audience as Caprica, Battlestar Galactica, and the Stargate franchise. The network continues to make its transition to bringing in a broader audience, and I guess that means elbowing out the more hardcore sci-fi programs. Oh well, at least they have a cooking show coming out!

On a scale of 1 to 2,543,860, how mad at Syfy are you right now?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

hi people i don t know am i wright right ( the grammar part ) but i want to say i see the SG Univers and i want to see the 3 th season but i want that Ilai find same way to stay alive this 3 years and All the cammand is awake from 3 years i think that Ilai must to have a chance bacouse he is a Hero. Please if it is posible let the 3th season is begining . If you didn t know what to wright i have some ides that i can to give you. I think that it will be very interesting that if it past 3 years and alls is awake and the Young tald everyone that the Ilai iz say because the camera is dont working and that time someone is walking in the ship founging the Ilai he is laing on the flor but alive. something like this i have some ideas alsso whaiting to your answers on my fasbook

I never took to this show I was half way through the first season when it was confirmed to me it was a cross between Star Trek Voyager & BSG after that it was something to look at nothing more.

Everyone connects with a character on a show with this show I got nothing from it.

I don't miss the show in any shape or form.
After Stargate Universe was gone, I don't watch much on Syfy any more but Warehouse 13, Eureka, and soon Eureka is ending, then WH 13 will probably follow sometime after that, then nothing left for me on syfy. Well there was Alphas? is there 2nd season of that sometime? I might have started to watch Haven but missed 1st Pilot/episode and hard to know when they air re-runs starting from the 1st episode
sifi fans should boycott syfy channel...they dont care about what viewers want they want to keep the loved up teenagers and housewives more to watch!!
Syfy hmmm Me thinks you need to start thinking of a new name...means your pulling all the best shows..how many actual sifi programmes you got running now?? actual IN space?? yes warehouse 13, eureka and haven are gd but not what us space nutters want !!! i can ssay one thing you'll be losing a hell of alot of viewers will it be the worst mistake you'll ever done we'll see!!!
999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999x999,999,999,999,999,999 MAADDDDD, not only me, but all SG fans... please continue the series.... pls plsplsplsplspslpls
I'm Int64.MaxValue mad. heck, i'll have an overflow!
The last couple episodes were brilliant!!
About 7 billion or one mad mark for every person on planet earth! :D
Just want SYFY to know that if you take off Stargate Universe your network ratings will go down just saying and they don't then great for you.
It took me the whole first season to really get into the story (because I wasn't sure where it was going - too many main characters with too much going on). But it finally kicked in when they found the main bridge - and now they're canceling??? Maybe if they had found the bridge earlier they might have kept the ratings up.
i'd say 2,543,860. damn you syfy for canceling all the good shows!
universe never found itself. too much spred on the story. if stargate genera can come back to the network it needs a new take on it. Something like following a recruite team thrugh the last traning, getting made into a sg-team and begining to go on different missions. backup missions, exploration, attacks ect. but in the whole not "front line" so to say
there is no scale big anuff to say mad i am at syfy (what was wrong with si-fi) it was slow to begin with but that made it better cuz it felt more like they were really stuck in deep space alone. who really want to wacth wrestling or fake ass ghost hunters, and cooking show go and watch a coocking channle, what they be cooking space corn? theres nopthin sifi bout them. SGU was the only and last thing id watch that they did. if i ownd it, i would keep a few hardcore fan and better programs rather then loads of low IQ's idiotic programs and s*** loads of money. which it sounds like they want.!
2,543,861 ;o(
I had such high hope for this network when it opened, as it promised to be something different. There is so little quality sci-fi programming on television that anticipated this being my main channel.

Instead, I have seen the programming degenerate over the years to the present level. Well received shows featuring more complicated story lines have disappeared with regularity to be replaced with bad movies with 3rd rate actors paired with poor computer effects. SGU has gotten better as the series has evolved and the writers have experimented with some ideas I'd not seen done before and I've been intrigued and have been tuning in. The loss of this show is another demonstration that SYFY has abandoned its supposed target audience and is happiest with a demographic of 14 year olds. And come on now, wrestling????? A cooking show???? That Ghost Hunter show for the feeble minded? I realize they schedule what they can get advertisers to pay for, but I just wish they'd allow themselves to keep at least ONE thoughtful, adult sci-fi series that might be innovative, provocative and challenging.
SyFy is rapidly losing its core demographic and heading into the pit of reality show rubbish that seems to have gripped all the other networks - shame on you SyFy!
BET caters to African Americans/Blacks, Univision caters to Latinos, E caters to those interested in "Entertainment" Television. SyFy seems to have lost the spirit and character in which it was created. By doing this, the writers have been rushing the storyline along.
SyFy is supposed to stand for science fiction, but more and more often, they're making less room for those who truly love this genre. They still have a few good shows, but they have "reality" shows and the worst "original" movies! Sad to say, but SyFy's been heading in this direction since it changed it's name from Sci(ence) Fi(ction). The channel is suppose to gear towards fans of science fiction, that's why the channel's called SyFy.
:'(
2,543,860 -- Syfy is suppose to be science fiction not cooking and reality. Enough is enough.
. I can't believe it. And it was just starting to get good. If there not careful they'll turn into fox, canceling anything they have that's good.
Finally!!! The loons running the scfy network have finally woken up that this show is a total turkey. My advice to the heart broken fans...Switch on a B grade soap and imagine it is set in space. Nothing lost.
i never comment on threads, but this is now an exception for me. i am truly annoyed. this show kept getting better and better and is currently my fav show on tv. when will the channels get in touch with what we really want and stop canceling shows with strong and loyal fans!
2,543,860 times mad, here we go again. Just when they get to the goods, they kill it. (coughing) CAPRICA! At least Battlestar ended on a good note. They Do have a good start with Being Human which means it too will probably be cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons, and if it is Im done with this channel.
Being a HUGE fan of all the StarGate Franchise's, it would be great to see a follow-on of StarGate Atlantis. Being able to see how they fare with Atlantis being back on Earth and bringing about the realisation to the people of Earth that this great city is sitting in San Fransisco's Bay. Universe isn't great, but it's watchable.
Thank god, this show sucked like no other.

Please bring back stargate atlantis to replace it
2,543,860 times mad one of my favorite shows....so shame on you Syfy I'm piss of about this cancellation.
2,543,860*2,543,860*2,543,860*2,543,860.......*2,543,860 whyyyyy ;( STARGATE
2,543,860*2,543,860*2,543,860*2,543,860.......*2,543,860 whyyyyy ;( STARGATE
2,543,860*2,543,860*2,543,860 MAD
One real fan of SG has left the building!
I will no longer watch the Sci Fi channel after this. They have cancelled my fav shows and it sucks. Very upset and angry
I am not at all surprised that syfy would cancel SGU. They cancelled Caprica (and contrary to hard core Galactica fans, it WAS A GOOD SHOW!) and evidently DON"T have any idea what Science Fiction is. I can tell them what it is not: Ghost Hunters, Ghost Whisperer, Ghost Ship Or ANYTHING with the word Ghost in it. Ghouls, Being Human, Merlin, Tales From the Darkside, Never Cry Werewolf, Open Graves, Halloween, Wrong Turn, The Cave, Moonlight, or Requiem From the Darkness. These are all from the Fantasy genre. But what do you expect from syfy?
Its not likely this is true, The fact s say Syfy hasn't said any such thing, its currently the stations flagship with the highest viewer ratings and most sponsors, the show simply makes too much money to cancel, this Tim guy doesn't so much check his facts as he does reference unreliable sources.
On a scale of 1 to 2,543,860, how mad at Syfy are you right now? 2,543,862,543,802,543,602,543,860,543,860 and far far far far far ....
I'M SO HAPPY they canceled this abomination!

30 episodes too late, but hey, at least they flushed this stink bomb down the toilet.

I hope they destroy each and every episode of this shameful excuse for a series.

YAHOO!!!
sifi why put stargate in history. I'm with the show from the beginning. and there is no other alternative shows. Now their viewers will be one less.
For those who criticize sgu has other shows.
now those like me what would watch Human or Destination Truth or eurika no way, keep your ratings.
2.543.859+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
2,543,861 angry.
2543860+1 angry... Syfy should go back to SciFi.. all is Greed now.. that is why they changed the name. Syfy can be trademarked.. If you get a great show, great characters and a following.. the company just flips you the bird and cancel it. No respect! Give a show a start and a final end.. then they may shut down.. but it must be knows beforehand so you don't frigging waste all the time investing in the show.
why is it that when a great sci-fi show is brought to life; you f**king kill it? can someone explain to me why this is? Farscape - cancelled, Enterprise - cancelled, SG:A - cancelled, Caprica - Cancelled.... I mean WTF are you doing; you get a great program with some actual depth in it and then when people are just starting to bond with the characters you f**k us all over with more cancellations. Personally I hate programs like CSI, 24, and all the other cr*p show I refuse to watch but you still keep shoving this sh*t down our necks.... If I wanted to watch that sh*t I would just look out the window. SCI-FI sh*t in space yea...... I want to be taken away from this planet and be wowed NOT o\'h another death lets all mope about is white coveralls and try to look like we know what we are doing or OOOOO another assassination attempt on the president or who ever... BORING. Some of the programs I mentioned above were the highlight of my week.... thanks for fuc*ing up my week and making life BORING again. Who ever decided to cancel this show should be fuc*ing SHOT... in the head... with a cannon ball.... at point-blank-range!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do not want to watch a show about vampires, and werewolves or more wrestling or even reality shows. We get enough about real life from the other networks! About the only thing left is Merlin, Ghost shows, and Warehouse 13, come on SYFY (hint Sci Fi) get it together.
Pity.
I cancelled my Syfy sub because of this. I am sick of how they handle their shows.
It's fair to say that a significant chunk of the Human-American psyche now requires some sense of traveling thru space & time, if for no other reason, to discover and understand itself. What's left after SGU "jumps" into oblivion?
...Especially after getting so close to the ultimate explanation of our very existence... BUT, on the other hand, isn't losing something that we almost have in our grasp a great metaphor, perhaps, for life in general? OK, forget that, how about a feature-length movie with all the original cast members? Nah! that'll never work.
What did you expect when they changed their name to syfy from scifi so that the n00bs knew how to pronounce it?
SyFy ignorantly cancelled Atlantis and people still gave them the benefit of the doubt, but now with Universe, its just proving that they are NOT a network thats taking their viewers into consideration. Stargate Universe took writing, character development and drama to the forefront and really put a cerebral and intelligent space drama into our hands... one that DID NOT leave you wanting for action, as the show paced itself well, skirting danger on the regular.

im VERY disappointed in the network, to be honest - and so are many people that i know. i hope they know what they're doing, because the fans sure as hell dont see it.
NOT A BIG LOSS, honestly i have to say that I did see every episode of StatGate U and I do have to admit I like the Original and Atlantis better that U. Reason being is that Both the Original SG1 and Atlantis saw more action that SGU. Most of the focus (PLOT) was in the ship we hardly saw any aliens. This reminds me more of Star Trek Enterprise where it started off good but then focus went single minded I loved all previous Star Treks Shows. But when Enterprise just did a whole season with one BIG Mission it really did not go well for them yes Enterprise did see a lot of aliens but the one single mission killed it i cant say i was sad to see that go as well. How ever i do Miss NOT having a NEW Star Trek Show, and I miss Atlantis as well.
I was happy with StarGate U (and that it was not a near copy of its predecessors) . Caprica was growing on me (it just needed better pacing and an injection of real Cylon conflict). But, par for the course, I'm not so happy with SyFy as a tentacle of its parent company. Thank goodness we barely hold on to Warehouse 13 and Eureka . . .(maybe in part to the corporate sponsors) . I'm not 100% on Haven yet, though I look forward to it following-up on its premise and revelations.

For several long years SciFi / SyFy has made me wonder why I subscribed to cable to get the network in the first place. It seems to fall short more and more each year as a genre network . . . I blame the parent company. It didn't raise it right, tried to make it just like it's sisters, told it to be a me-too player, and date wrestlers and get grounded in reality. I'm waiting for it to change names to either SyPike TV of SyFX just to hang out with the cool kids. Seriously, . . it seems like pay tv will in the future mean we will have to raise funds to have our shows continue . . which can never happen at the level of costs involved . . . so. Hmmm. Oh well, time to watch cooking programs on the Law network.
Well let me think! U canceled one of my favorite shows and possibly one the best sci-fi sagas ever, so yeah I'm really freaking mad at syfy! Why couldn't you have just sold the show to a different network or anything else other than canceling it?
Caprica and SG:U are the only 2 shows I watch on Syfy. I love them both. Elbow out hardcore sci-fi?! the network is named after it! lol. ugh.
Load More Comments