SyFy Looking at Cooking, Talk Shows?!?

Hello, and welcome to another edition of TV.com Whines About Poor Programming Decisions by a Network We Fear is Going Down the Tubes. Today we'll be discussing one of our favorites, SciFi Channel SyFy, which is in the process of "redefining" itself -- much like a post-pubescent woman does upon entering high school.

That is, it sacrifices substance and forgets where it came from in an attempt to get more attention. And SyFy's version of a cleavage-baring tube top and high heels is (possibly) a foray into cooking and talk shows. To this we say, "SyFy, stop being such a damn slut!"

According to an article on the all-things-science-fiction blog io9, a "source" -- who's had meetings with the soul-crushing suits that run the new SyFy -- claims the network is looking at developing a cooking show and a talk show, thus further separating itself from the realm of the nerds.

This is both incredibly shocking and totally unsurprising. We all saw this coming with the universally hated re-branding of SciFi Channel as SyFy. Genre channels don't want to stay genre channels anymore -- not in an age of mega-mergers like NBC/Universal (which owns SyFy), AOL/Time Warner, and KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, where watering down tastes can maximize profit and minimizing the niche is the order of the day. Why serve one audience well when you can slap some mediocrity on a platter and serve it to the masses?

There are something like 4 billion cable and satellite channels out there, being beamed and streamed via orbiting robots and vines of coaxial cable. Is it too much to ask for one channel to devote itself to one of the most sacred genres in television? Apparently so.

Mark Stern, SyFy's original programming VP, said this to io9: "In regards to reality, we're developing all sorts of ideas, and there is an opportunity to push the envelope a bit with the new brand; to see where 'Imagine Greater' might take us. That said, as with our scripted programming, anything we do needs to fit within a speculative genre, and the idea that we're celebrating the imagination. So, if we were to do a 'cooking show,' it definitely wouldn't be a normal, conventional cooking show."

SyFy does have reality shows, which include Ghost Hunters and its kin. But no one would argue that Ghost Hunters still falls under the science-fiction umbrella. And I would rather watch hours of Mansquito and Boa vs. Python than a minute of a show where some goon dresses up as a Vulcan and teaches me how to toss a Romulan Salad (snicker).

Suddenly, the sci-fi lite Warehouse 13 looks a lot better.

i cancelled my cable TV. i got netflix's it cheaper, and between that and surf the channel and hulu i can watch what and when i want. wtf the stupid FY channel. you killed the Stargate shows that put you on the map. hay high up exec how do you know where your going if you dont look back . whats the use of having ends if you loose all your friends. cooking shows rip off's of BBC television thats currently running being human a vampire werewolf and a ghost for real. i am done with it, the syfy channel forgot the ppl who made them great and is now doing the w/e the father network says big mistake
the syfy channel is done .they are the new MTV, i am just waiting for episodes of jersey shore to show up. they cancelled sgu wtf. they blamed it on ratings OK. well maybe they shouldn\'t have taken a 7 month hiatus in the middle of the season. I am a musician and i have played in bands 20 yrs . and the best way to loose Ur audience is to take to many breaks during a show.. if they had shot all the episodes or at least most of them then waited and time scaled the release dates of the newer episodes so no break 1,2,3,4,5,6,.....................a yr later ok 7, o **** wwe is a bigger show lets move sgu from Friday to sat then Mon the Tuesday 8,9,10,11,12, mid season break. OK releasing season 1.5, repeat the season again 13,14,15, etc. horrible strategy guys oh **** lets put on ghost hunters a bunch of guys running around a building saying they see things i never saw **** the syfy channel is done
Cooking shows on Syfy?! WTF
Mark Stern has proven himself completely out of touch and incompetent. He should be IMMEDIATELY fired with loss of all contractual compensation of ANY kind. Likewise, he should NEVER be allowed to work in the entertainment industry in any way shape or form EVER again.
What a stupid idea! This is exactly why I have stopped watching so many other networks! NO MORE STUPID REALITY/GAME/MAKEOVER SHOWS!!! For the love of GOD!
Well, it looks like something else which will cause an immediate channel change. Other things that cause this on SyFy include Ghosthunters, Destination Truth and Wrestling!
Looks like I'm not going to be watching SLY Fly anymore. Why go there when there are a million other networks showing the same crap? I just won't have to surf as long. Too bad there isn't someone else who wants to put a Science Fiction/Fantasy network on Cable.
Please me it is not true. Cooking and talk shows on sci-fi. Have you people lost it. The field of good sci-fi shows are already so narrowed compared to other channels. We have already lost most of the best soaps on tv and in turn have talk and cooking shows to watch. Do you want to see how to make a dish of food made or see a doctor take an organ out of a person. yuk to both. The other waste of tv viewing and a loss of money and time is the infomercial shows on every channel almost from daytime to any time slot on to many channels. News and sports channels by the bucket full to watch and they are all telling us the same thing which is debateable. You can watch any show on tv you want except the ones that are worth watching. I am really worried about what I am going to be subjected to this season and whether I am going to be able to watch tv or will I be forced by the decision makers on each channel to get out my movies. Reality shows, there are some good ones out there. All of the talent reality shows are great. I like the undiscovered talent shows because not only are they entertaining but they help people that have real talent to get their foot in the door easier than ever. All reality that help people,The Biggest Looser is a 10, the design competition shows, the house hunting helps people watching learn the do's and don'ts of buying and selling a home.There is just way to much I could say about the choices or lack of. I will close with how many more shows is Oprah going to put on the air? Answer: as many as she wants to because she has the money and with the money you get the power. Her show is so old and outdated. Maybe she could stay at home and just put more shows on tv. It is great that she is helping a few people to make some of the money like she has. I would rather help all the regular struggling people that need the help. The top number one reality show is of course the Home Extreme Makeover, now they really help needy people that can't help themselves. I wish that they could help my daughter that is a single mother with a 20 year old profoundly disabled son. Her house is in bad shape and it takes all she can do to keep food on the table with no money left for home repairs. She is trying to keep her car running because she has to travel for her job. I wonder how much tv and what channels I will be watching this season if any. I can only hope.
I think a cooking show related to either fantasy or science fiction is ridiculously far-fetched, and I certainly won't be watching that. A talk show might be legitimate if the guests were limited to scifi writers and/or actors, and I might even watch that if they had a guest I was interested in. I agree with everyone else who detests the name change--sounds like they're afraid people can't spell the old name because it had a silent c in it. I do enjoy Warehouse 13, although the two main characters need to be better defined. If the new SyFy channel doesn't continue to provide good scifi and/or fantasy, I'll get my science fiction and fantasy from Fox (e.g., Fringe), the CW, and any other network that offers it and forget the SyFy channel.
GH must not be too bad since they now have GHI and Destination Truth is returning, I like Eureka, W13, Estate of Panic was fun, BSG and Stargate always welcome. I watch ECW because I already watch WWE brands on other stations which get bumped by one either tennis or baseball and a Dog Show[which I like too, but on weekends]. How the heck does tennis pop up on USA? It's not ESPN ! I can see some USA shows going to Fox even Monk, Psych that are funny.
If they add anything it should be shows that Fox dumps like SCC or old seasons of Supernatural and others from CW plus some from Bio or A/E, Travel and kid GH from Toon. Even could add Clone Wars to SYFY. Any talk or cooking show better be during odd hours when folks sleep or should be Science or Supernatural related. Psychic Investigators could work or The Other Side reruns with the original host[not Edwards lol]. I like James Van Pragh. He could have a talk show or give Josh Gates one. lol The host should be from a SYFY type show at least if not the guest. A cooking show, really? lol
sheesh - got so mad - made some typos on my post - sorry - fandowm should be fandom - probably made other mistakes but then again - none are as big as what SciFi has done by changing the name to SyFy & now changing the essence of the channel.
I agree with what all the other posters are saying. What in the world is TV coming to?? Nothing but junk on TV. Just what we need - another dumb cooking show & talk show. SciFi was unique & wonderful. Guess the name change to SyFy was by design so that they can now put other dumb shows on besides Science Fiction. This TV channel was one reason we got cable so that we could enjoy Science Fiction - well now that is going away also. Don't really understand what management is thinking. On October 9th, Sanctuary starts its 2nd season - I do hope & pray that SciFi (or whatever else they want to call themselves) will give this show a chance. It is unique & different & actually speaks to the intellect & it has a character from SG1 (Amanda Tapping) who is absolutely great.

SciFi (now SyFy - stupid name change) is going downhill with the new direction they want to pursue. There is nothing on TV anymore but reality shows that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for - another stupid endeavor - *sigh* what is happening in this world? The Science fiction fans are a huge bunch. Why are the network exec trying to break up this fandowm? SciFi was one channel worth watching & is now going to go down the tube into garbage hell.

As someone said - the management will not blame their own stupid ineptness - instead they will blame the shows. I would rather watch reruns of all the science fictions shows like SG1, all the Star Treks, BSG, Dune, even an old show like Time Trax than to view the mindless blather that is currently passing for entertainment.
Agree with the article. There are reality shows of every genre littering the airwaves. SciFi does not need to contribute to the terrible glut.
Ditto for cooking shows. There are both cable and over-the-air channels running cooking shows every hour of the day. Imitation is not necessarily a form of flattery. Needless to say, SciFi's change in format will cost it viewers from the science fiction community which cuts across all commonly followed demographics. Terrible idea SciFi(SyFy, whatever)
SYFY LOST THE MOST POINTS WITH ME WHEN IT STARTED RUNNING WRESTLING. THIS THE THE MOST INANE CRAP EVER DEVELOPED. DESIGNED FOR MORONS WHO SECRETLY WANT TO BE MOLESTED BY MIND-NUMBING CLOWNS.PLEASE GET RID OF THIS #$%*&!!!
I went on to read some of the comments. Boy do I agree. There is not much good on TV anymore.

Even the Western Channel is boring, with all and I mean ALL the old westerns out there, they constantly play the same movies over and over and over and over again. I don't watch it for months on end, then go back to see what's on...well, need I say more. We pay waay toooo much for the cable to have to put up with this crap!! When are they gonna get a grip? Maybe everyone should just have cable shut off nationwide for one day, boy would that break the bank. Give us quality TV!!! You'd think we were asking them to share the Denver Mint with us. I am sick of paying through the hilt on crap TV!
I think it is ludicrous!!! Don't we have enough of that crammed in our face as it is??? Sci-Fi should have never changed the name and should add to the sc-fi of life not change it to boring. Come on, with all the great movies (new and old)out there and science exploration, weird-but true things, supernatural phenomenon. You want cooking and talk shows??!! PLEASE- get a grip!! Change is rarely ever better!!
add a commentNow we know the first person that should be fired at syphy....yeah you mark stern
What the Hell Are they doing? First the name change now this?!!
please tell me this is a joke?!
Yes, I have to agree with xavier, SciFi sucks so now to me without adding this garbage, wish I also had the option of dropping the channel from my subscription individually.
Not only is it wrong but who'd watch?
and reality tv continues to kill tv as we knew it :(
I ordered cable for genre networks like Sci Fi and I've been feeling cheated over the years as it has lowered the bar on quality and quantity of quality shows to devolve into a me-too status with its sister stations owned by Universal. If it continues, reality crap, wrestling, made for crap movies, forget being branded Sy Fy, be branded traitor and call yourself NBC2. This and Cartoon Network, cable needs to go ala carte so I can dump them individually.
If Sci-Fi (I can't bring myself to stoop to their level of double-speak) has "GhostBusters" or whatever the phony show is called, and both the History and National Geographic channels can put on (note my choice of words) shows about UFOs and Big Foot, with all claiming that they are real, and the Cartoon Network is trying to become more like Nickelodeon and Disney - - and failing miserably - - by adding faux reality and other non-cartoon shows, and the Travel Channel has poker shows, while the list of ironical and/or oxymoronical (with emphasis on the middle two syllables) networks and shows mounts, then, by all means, add cooking shows to the "Won't Fly" channel . . . I'm sorry . . . of course I meant "Sci-Fi" . . . what was I thinking??? One would hope that, at the very least, they could serve Gagh or Terrine au Tribble!
am i the only person bothered that it is no longer si-fi but sy-fy?? i could just be weird but it just irks me for some reason
Question: If Klaatu landed his spaceship outside SyFy corporate headquarters, and announced that Gort would vaporize HQ in ten minutes time, would anyone leave?

Answer: No. There is not a single intelligent life-form working there. The potted plants would be quicker to react, and at least try to escape.

Mark Stern, you, and the rest of your programming team are all IDIOTS!
If they keep this up, nobody will be watching TV. There's the Food Network and HGTV that have cooking shows as well as the regular networks (Rachel Ray, Hell's Kitchen etc) so why change something that's original and unique. I just don't get it. Not everyone wants to watch reality programming 24-7. :P
I don't even watch this channel and I'm pissed. Who is in charge of television these days?? At the risk of sounding psychotic, I wish I could find the person(s) responsible for today's crap on TV and murder them. Tie a rope around their neck and drag them across the continent. Now that would get some good ratings!
While I do enjoy the series, 'Warehouse 13' and 'Ghost Hunters'... Lately, I've been tuning into BBC America for my Sci-Fi fix. 'Doctor Who', 'Torchwood', and 'Being Human'!!! (And, when they do show it, 'Life on Mars' UK [even if that series is over], and it's spin-off, 'Ashes to Ashes')!.......... What do I really miss? Series like 'the Sentinel', the original 'Stargate' series (Showtime quaility), and all those science-fiction shows that had more sci-fi and less horror. (What is really sad is when I tune into the Cartoon Network, I expect cartoons. When I tune into a Sci-Fi [Sy-Fy, same deal] channel, I expect science fiction. Now, both channels are threatening not to give us what their names promise, and they are still expecting us to continue to tune in? Forget it).
This is wrong!!! Another channel that I originally love watching, completely ruins itself!
It does appear that the suits at SyPhYllus are more interested in going up the NBC corporate ladder than producing good science fiction shows. That's what the former president of SyPhYluus, Bonnie Hammer, did. She may have brought in ratings but canned a bunch of shows sci fi fans liked. And she wasn't demoted for it, she was promoted!
Cartoon Network, SyFy, Teletoon (Canadian channel), all becomnig reality. Why, why the !@#$ are they doing this to us????? If we wanted reality shows, we'd watch them elsewhere. NOT shows aimed at a specific genre
Stop the madness!!!
hahaha! so it have come to this now, after all their crap producing of so many bad sci-fi movies... its cooke and dine, i dunno if i am gonna laugh or cry, the revenge of the housewife is becoming a reality.
There's nothing wrong with Warehouse 13. It got enough of a scifi feel to be included in the genre as far as I'm concerned. They could make more like this and I'd be okay. It's like the USA Network-ifiacation of X-files... happy and not too dark. . . . . . Otherwise, no more wrestling, or those reality shows with contestants getting chased, or Scare Tactics, and please no talk or cooking.
What is with these cable channels putting reality crap on their station first Cartoon Network is getting changed to CN Real now Syfy talking about putting cooking and talk shows on are we in h***.
I'll watch Caprica and SGU, otherwise this network has gone to garbage. This used to be my favourite channel and i still like a handful of their science fiction themed shows, but this whole "imagine greater" theme has really turned me off. I have no confidence in the execs of the network anymore.
This is the beginning of the end of basic cable as we know it...
You've got to be kidding me... *ugh*

This is starting to become a complete joke...
Don't like that picture. It kind of pisses me off ever time I see it.
Survivor and The American Race are the only reality shows worth watching...and that's saying a lot. The reality show genre is dying. Why doesn't NBC/Universal concentrate on making the Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis movies??? Why not resurrect the failed Fox show Virtuality?
SciFi or whatever they call themselves now has been in a tailspin since they canceled FarScape. Even when they were still focusing ON SciFi, when did they ever play anything GOOD? They never played anything but SG-1 marathons and awful, cheap ripoffs of horror movies that were just plain god-awful to begin with (seriously? Just HOW MANY permutations of "Anaconda" did they REALLY need?).
i think taht if tehy had spook macke a romulan salad i whaqtch but other wis probebly NOT.
Okay,THIS IS IDIOTIC!!!For those idiots who made this channel,this is called SyFy!And what the heck does the title say?Syfy?Don't they mean SciFi?I liked the other channel better.
they should bring back estate of panic i liked the show and the host hes awesome
Talk shows, cook shows, what is that where the money is? There are enough of those in the Food Net, Bravo , Travel Ch plus others.Noe I know the why of the name change, the new name means Sorry Fanny.
Dude I'm so sick of the niche channels turning into the same sub par standard network. Mtv started the trend many years ago and now even Cartoon Network and SciFi. Seriously WTH. Not that SciFi has hit the mark the last few years. They additions of original scifi shows was fantastic, the lack of picking up network scifi cancellations was disappointing. So lets drop the b movie crap, lets forget the mess they are planning. Pick up the rights to old sci fi greats and run them again. Pick up great programs like Sara Conner Chronicles when networks dump them. That is how they are going to win more fans not this crap soup they want to serve us
boycotting doesn't do any good, the idiot execs think it's the show(s) and not their manegment of the network. No one watches reality shows but it doesn't matter because they don't cost anything to produce, they are just cheap filler. SciFi has always delivered for the most part and well, now, they are turning generic as all the others. I used to believe this reality business was caused by the idiots that watch this garbage but now I realize it just to be the dumbing down of the American people, which of course television is geared for people with an 8th grade education anyways. Fellow idiots unite, read a book!
It seems almost too real for it to be a prank. First Cartoon Network starts airing "reality" shows (that have NOTHING to do with animation), now SyFy wants to air cooking shows and talk shows? I'd hate to see the day when all the channels are airing the same types of shows.
Load More Comments