Teletrivia Episode 4: Holiday Specials

In the latest installment of Teletrivia, TV Guy gets nostalgic for TV holiday specials—and he's taking you along for a trip down a snow-covered memory lane. Shows covered include beloved classics How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, plus newcomer Shrek the Halls and the incredible Star Wars Christmas Special from 1978.

How many did you get right?

Psst! New to the game? Catch up with previous episodes of Teletrivia here.

I don't think that I saw the Star Wars one, but I love all the others especially A Charlie Brown Christmas it is the best ever with Rudolf a close second,
I remember the Star Wars Christmas Special and I dont think it was totally terrible. It had a certain charm and its the only time we got to meet Chewbaccas family. With all due respect to Shrek, it feels like a flavor of the month. Are we really going to remember it 45 years from now like Rudolph or Charlie Brown? I doubt it.
Okay, let me get this straight...DESPITE being "unabashedly Christian" and "strongly anti-commercial," A Charlie Brown Christmas remains the most popular HOLIDAY special! Hmmm. Sorry, that's not puzzling. That's encouraging.
By the way, if "A C.B. Christmas" were produced today it would be called "BUDWEISER presents: CHARLIE BROWN'S ONE-WORLD NON-DENOMINATIONAL SOLAR-POWERED WiINTERTIME CELEBRATION."
4/5 the stupid star wars got me the others were easy
4/5! That's the best I've done on Teletrivia!
The first three were super easy, then the last two I choked on. 3/5 Despite how early I feel this is (before Thanksgiving? Really?), I do love these teletrivia things. Keep 'em coming!
Honorable mention should go to "A Christmas Story" even though technically it was a theatrical release. But I think "A Christmas Story" is more deserving to be included as a TV special. Though originally released in theaters with little success, it became a TV Christmas classic after being continually replayed. And although the same case could be made for the film “It’s a Wonderful life,” that film was directed by Frank Capra, starred Jimmy Stewart, and was nominated for five Oscars, so it was quite famous before becoming to TV. I would place "A Christmas Story" at number 5 on my all-time list.
Here is my list of the 15 best TV Christmas specials: 1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, 1964; 2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966); 3. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965 Short Film); 4. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (1970 TV Movie); 5. The Year Without a Santa Claus, 1974; 6. Frosty the Snowman (1969 Short Film); 7. The Little Drummer Boy (1968 Short Film); 8. Merry Madagascar (TV 2009); 9. Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962) (first ever animated TV holiday special); 10. Prep & Landing, 2009; 11. Shrek The Halls (2007); 12. A Christmas Carol (1984, George C. Scott); 13. A Christmas Carol (1999, Patrick Stewart); 14. "A Garfield Christmas Special, 1987; 15. Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas (1977, 1980)
Unlike the last installment of Teletrivia, I actually was left wanting more. Would have liked to hear more about other TV Christmas specials. But it was fun to watch and it did get me to do some quick research on my own, so I appreciate your effort.
Very nice job, Tim. However, why did you feel the need to qualify that the story in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" had a Christian point of view? I understand there is a difference, now, between the religious celebration of Christmas and the cultural one, but C'mon. It still originated as a Christian holiday. I wonder if it were about a Buddhist holiday special, you'd feel compelled to to make the same disclaimer?
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer is my favourite oldie. I do like the animated Grinch (Jim Carrey's version was awful) and Charlie Brown. Newer soon-to-be-classics?: The Muppet Christmas Carol and Shrek the Halls.
I wish to point out that it is unnecessary for the link to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to go to a guide all of its own because that special is the first episode of the "Charlie Brown" guide.
Ha ha I remember watching it as a kid. At the time I didn't know any better and loved it. Plus it had Boba Fett!
The less said about the horror that is the Star Wars Holiday Special, the better...