Terra Nova: Banish Him!

Wow, I almost forgot this show even existed! Terra Nova returned last night after a baseball-related week off, but you wouldn't know it based on how quickly it got back into its groove of being entirely mediocre. "Bylaw" gave us a look at the colony's justice system, moved Josh's storyline forward by an inch, and sent a message of hope to all baby dinosaurs that they can hatch healthy as long as Elisabeth keeps playing God.

Things started off as they often do on Terra Nova: near an outpost with either a scientist or a soldier you've neither seen before nor care about, followed shortly by a dinosaur eating that person. To death! Science stud Malcolm was on the crime scene, analyzed it in a hurry so he could get back to ogling Jim's wife, and said, "Looks pretty straightforward what happened here to me!" And that's when we knew things were very much not straightforward, that they were practically crookedbackward, because Malcolm is an idiot.

It turned out the soldier had been murdered! Murder weapon? Dinosaur! The so-rare-it-never-actually-existed Nykosaurus, if my ears didn't deceive me. That forced Jim to don his Silhouette 8568 sunglasses and switch into CSI: Terra Nova mode. His investigations led him to the soldier's mistress, which led him to the mistress's civilian husband, who confessed to the crime because he was asked about it. Case closed! And there were still 35 minutes left in the episode to focus on Lt. Washington's eye makeup and watch Josh practice his guitar.

But there was still the matter of what to do with the confessed cold-blooded killer, and that's when the discussion of crime and punishment started. Commander Taylor had never dealt with a murder before, and it was up to him to either imprison the murderer or banish him to the great unknown, where he'd probably be pecked to death by bird-osaurs or have his memory erased by a virus. Or possibly join the Sixers. Thank the lord the murderer wasn't a soldier with an intimate knowledge of how Terra Nova's security and armed forces work, because if he was banished he could end up in the hands of the Sixers and really help them strike a blow against Taylor and Terra Nova. Sarcastic foreshadowing!

After an obvious and unusual close-up of a suspicious-looking soldier, Taylor announced that he was banning the confessed killer, who moped as he walked through the gates to fend for himself. But after a convenient argument with Elisabeth over morality, Jim began to suspect that the guy who'd confessed wasn't the killer, hunted him down in the vast expanse outside of Terra Nova in about 30 seconds, and learned the truth: The guy had confessed to save his wife (the soldier's mistress) from taking the fall, because she'd obviously killed the soldier after getting dumped. So Jim and the dude went back to her, and she was all like, "What? I didn't kill nobody." And thus a lesson was learned: Don't take a murder rap for a loved one without first knowing if she's actually guilty. So those two, despite infidelity, one of them using the other to win the Terra Nova lottery, and a huge disparity in attractiveness, lived happily ever after. Seriously, that's what happened.

But even though we'd solved the case of the Incredibly Stupid Couple, we still had no clue who used a dinosaur to kill a perfectly innocent soldier. At this point, there were about 15 minutes left in the episode. So Jim did what he should have done in the first place—actual detective work. He went through the victim's old financial records (yes, Terra Nova is protected by a wall of logs, but it also keeps detailed online records of its citizens' banking histories), and discovered the victim was owed a lot of money, which exposed a gambling ring at Bar Terra Nova. Then there was an extremely complicated plan to fake an arrest of the jolly Australian bartender to root out the actual culprit, and it worked! The murderer (or indirect murderer, because let's be honest, the dinosaur is the one who should've been on trial) was a soldier who was terrible at poker or Uno or whatever they played and owed the victim a lot of Terras. I'm not even going to start on where the Terra Nova Mint is.

So in the end, one of Taylor's men—a soldier with an intimate knowledge of how Terra Nova's security and armed forces work (foreshadowing callback complete)—was banished into the wilderness, where his only real chance of survival would be to team up with the Sixers. Cased closed for REAL this time. Aside from the time wasted on chasing the wrong lead and the fact that we didn't care at all about any of the suspects, it was the best murder mystery in Terra Nova's history.

Meanwhile, Josh was still trying to get his future girlfriend shipped back in time, so his employer, who is responsible for a ton of illegal activities in Terra Nova yet still doesn't mind doing shots with the underage son of the colony's head of security, told Josh that he needed to meet with Sixer head honcho Mira. Josh, along with Skye, trekked halfway across the planet to meet her under the cover of darkness in dino-infested jungle so she could tell Josh that if she helps him, he'll owe her a favor one day. Case closed!

Even more meanwhile, Zoe (the kid) wanted mom to save an in-egg baby dinosaur that has its front paw stuck to its neck. But it wasn't just any dinosaur, it was an Ankylosaurus, which—no joke—is one of my top five favorite kinds of dinosaurs of all time. It's the original armored dinosaur, and it defends itself with a clubbed tail. Pretty awesome. Elisabeth saved the dinosaur, and the Shannons decided that they may keep it as a pet, "at least for a little while," which sounds like a fantastic idea. Case closed!

I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign that this was actually a decent episode, by comparison, of Terra Nova. All I know is that centuries from now, when aliens have destroyed us and are passing time by watching our old television shows, they'll ask themselves, "How did Terra Nova set up wireless internet and GPS tracking?"

Notes:

– I'm starting to see other sites trail off on Terra Nova coverage and declare they aren't recapping the show anymore. I will do no such thing! I'm in this for the long haul! Which I hope doesn't last longer than a 13-episode first season.

– Josh seems to be getting worse at playing guitar.

– Exactly how valuable is money in Terra Nova? How do people get paid? Where does the money come from? If there's a bar, is there a restaurant? Is the open-air market the only way to get food? I thought there were teams of people who divvied up the work to make the place sustainable? Didn't Jim start off on the agricultural team? Wasn't that team responsible for providing food for the entire colony? I always thought the place was like some rad hippie commune, but apparently if you owe someone money it's a motive for murder. Can one of you guys come up with some sound economical reasoning for how Terra Nova's financial system works?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

This review is one thousand times more entertaining than the episode itself.

Wait! Maybe the show is an outrageous dead-pan comedy and we're just too dumb to get it?
Also given up on this show
i gave up on terra nova after the two first eps, but the for the sake of these recaps of pray for a second season. Cracks me up, every time :)
This show could instantly become so much better by splitting time between the future 2149 and terra nova. There has to be some impetus for the characters besides it used to suck so much in the future living in log huts is sooo much better. Every time I see their sets its like you couldn't send some drywall into terra nova through your portal?
It amazes me that in all three Stargate series the writers always tried to balance the militarys wievpoint with a civilian one, heck Atlantis was always run by a commmander from the "civilian" side just to balance it out. One would then think that if you are going to write a story about a society of people which is so advanced that it can travel through time (albeit acidentily) those same people wouldnt be so stupid to set upp a military controlled/police state bunker. Its just poor scifi writing from start to finish.

By the way I think a new drinking game should be in the works, for every sappy hollywood moment in a episode you can spot, you have to drink (ex. Biggest douche on the planet wants to smuggle his girlfriend several million years into the past)
as first I have to say that until now I've only seen the pilot episode of the series. and my first comment was, how much money they spent on this show?? We're not just talking about special effects (which are poor for the money spent), but also actors, script ... where exactly they've spent $ 20mil, hire a serious writer was not worth the effort, for some extra $$$? Then I said to me, wait two or three episodes and then watch the show. I still didn't watch it, and I'm doing everything not to watch it, especially after reading the comments and the article by Tim. In my dreams Terra Nova was going to be a mix between Lost and Jurassic Park, but unfortunately it is not 'either of this show
What can you buy in Terra Nova with alot of money anyway? exotic fruit, one of those armored vehicles? Its kind of a ridiculous premise for murdering someone. This show needs to hire some real science fiction writers and lose the little house on the prairie stuff.
Damn, you're right. I never thought about it. No need for big money so no need to get our debts paid quickly.
it was a poorly written episode. everything about it spelled disaster. no jail? an out of control police state that nobody seems to notice is a bad idea,esp seeing from where they came from...and a story that is hinged on time-line sci fi and corporate bad guys that are not "yet born" in the backround that goes nowhere???
Couldn't agree with you more Tim. Don't get me wrong, this was the most entertaining of all the episodes so far but still I kept wondering when it would end. The egg hatching reminded me of something....a little obscure movie called JURASSIC PARK....way to regurgitate your own stories Speilberg. And clearly, Mira has been in contact with Aussie bar guy. You mean to tell me that she can't just tell Aussie to tell Josh the terms for getting his chick to dino-land? Nope it's way easier to drag those kids over the gates, right?...
and if you dont like it, dont watch it.!!!
What are you, 11? Who still responds with this hackneyed preschool tripe?
let's just hush on the cold remarks, ALOT of us LOVE the show. should go to SYFY for the true fans tho.
Why is there no "dislike" button. Your mention of SyFy made me throw up...
I don't care for the show but the recap is absolutely brilliant!
GPS would be possible even without satellite if they set up a tall enough tower. That tower could also be used for wireless communication. But the tower would have to be obvious and the range would be limited. Trees could also cause a problem.

The coins were likely brought with a group during an earlier crossing. I'm guessing that there's a few general crops that everyone gets, such a wheat and potatoes, which provide the basis sustenance for the people. Others could grow or harvest from the forest fruits and other vegetables to sell at market. Money for some may come from a weekly allowance according to what type of work each person does, similar to the way the army pays it's troops while still providing the basis necessities. Others may receive money only for what they sell.

Um.... you'd need more than one tower, as even with GPS you need at least 3 signals to estimate position.
Dude, keep a copy of this comment. I think you could ask some royalties when the writers will use your ideas soon. Because you definitely know more than them about the economic system of Terra Nova ^^
Wow! A comment down there somewhere, "we KNOW this show is not going to be good"? Well just because the viewers on THIS page do not like it, does NOT mean everyone agrees! I know of quite a few folks who love this show and I am one of them! I hope that the people on this page do have the ability to control what the rest of us watch, because the rest of us want to watch this show! Also, there is a lot of potential development from the shows so far. Give it a chance! If not, dont mess it up for the rest of us!
If you're talking about my comment, I precisely said "We all know for several weeks now that this show is not gonna be great". The key word here being "great".

Now, I'm not a native english speaker but my understanding is that the word "great" has a way more powerful dimension than the word "good". Am I wrong ? I don"t think so.

So, I insist : We all know for several weeks now that this show is not gonna be great.

But if you read my comment in his entirety, you would have understand that I was quite pleased by this ep. And therefore I'm inclined to hope that the show is gonna be good.

So please, don't twist my words to serve you blind adoration of a "good but not great" show.

And if you did not make reference to my comment... sorry ^^
Maybe because those who like it never bring any argument in favor of it...

They just say what you say.: that they like it.

So, please, tell us what is good or great, that we don't see, about this show.
thank you! My thoughts exactly .. what exactly do people "love" about this show?
Nothing ! I just enjoy how bad this show is and laugh, laugh. Also it makes my self confidence to go up cause i could write better plot than they do.

Since you asked i were thinking for 15 minutes whats good about Terra Nova and answer is nothing just big emptiness !

Bad Disney family drama mixed with dinosaurs or something like that idk.

Altought i didn't liked Fringe at all i don't say i hate it i just don't like it i saw first 2 season episodes in non stop and i was done with it.

Also 30 rock i don't like it to i just don't get it i think in first season i laughed only once for god sake only once ? Same for The big bang theory.

And Rango i hate that movie, i think its Depp worst movie, well i will not be to harsh jokes didn't worked on me , plot was to simply and i haven't seen so much movies which in Rango had references. So it was just to boring for me. Also little to dark and horrifying although character personalities was interesting besides they all were ugly.

Well final verdict we each have different taste for tv shows and movies - some times it can be very opposite to us and we dot'n understand why it is so for instance i know many ppl who don't like and even hate Dexter and other good shows.

Or for you its worst show episode but for other best episode - and here we go conflict :D
More +
If they'd gotten rid of the *yaaawn* cute-dino-of-the-week story (now titled "Cuteness: The Zoe and the dinosaurs story"), this wasn't half bad. Sure, the main plot was convoluted yet unsurprising, the twists unexciting and sometimes weird - but it was still a fairly enjoyable hour of television.

And to those who hated the pilot: WTF? So far, it's been the most interesting episode, with lots of teasers and hints of the stuff that MAY turn out to be actually interesting - like the big metaplot, with the calculations and the sixers and such.

What I want to see - and will perhaps "save" the show for me:

More from 2149 - flashbacks and parallell storylines, I don't care.

More about the strange calculations and what is actually driving the Sixers (and Taylor's son).

Some rational explanation for Zoe - I DON'T buy "It seemed like a good idea at the time" as the reason why the decent cop and the idealistic doctor would chose to violate laws and risk the future of all their three children just to have another baby. There has to be some secret behind this storyline.

Branwrecking paradoxes - some part of me hates them, but another craves them like candy. My favourite? They claim Terra Nova exists in a separate timeline because the "probe" they sent back can't be found in the future. I'm waiting for someone to blow it up, meaning they may well be f*cking up their own future in the very same timeline, without knowing it! Oh noes! :D
Totally agree. The probe thing is totally nonsensical so the probe couldn't have been moved in hundreds of thousands of years? or I don't know maybe destroyed or carried away in the apocalypse that killed off all the dinosaurs.
the trailers for this show where very misleading had no idea it would be this bad I stopped watching it the previous episode and by the looks of thing i will not bother with this episode
If Spielberg's name weren't on this show it would be canned by now. No more needs to be said, save that it better be canned soon.
Some people are still talking about the cost. Wasn't the $20 million only for the pilot? I don't remember them saying that ALL episodes would cost that much...
Tim, I found you a little harsh. We all know for several weeks now that this show is not gonna be great. Therefore I lowered dramatically my expectations and seriously I found this episode entertaining and with a good dynamic.

First of all, we were not annoyed by those teenage romance storylines. I mean, think about it people : the previous episodes gave us DOUBLE dose of teenage romance with Josh/Skye and Maddy/ToyBoy. Here all that we see was Josh and Skye getting in more trouble with... the sixers !! That's good ! I prefer to see this that the two of them making out and Josh being guilty about it because his girlfriend is stuck back in 2149 and bla bla bla.

But of course we get our part of cheesy with "sophisticated-accent"-Elizabeth and "dugh-she's-hot-eyes"-Malcom and the whole egg storyline which was u-s-e-l-e-s-s.

Secondly, the murder storyline. Again, it's not grammy-level writing : we all agree. But in comparison with memory-eraser-virus and horny-birds, it was awesome ! The twists were expected because we all know something was wrong due to the pace of the narration but whatever. We got some action with with the dino chase and we got a peek into the not perfect justice system of Terra Nova.

On the monetary and financial system of the coumpound, I think that we have to just accept that it's working. It's obvious that the writers did not plan a whole realistic economic system. They just make things up as they need them.

I'm more disturbed by the funeral thing ! A commentator made the count last episodes of how many people (soldiers included) were killed by dinos. Why all those people did not get the emotional ceremony that Foster got ? If they did but the show did not show it to us, why elizabeth kinda said that she never saw it before ?

So yes, it's not perfect but it's far more entertaining that the family soup we used to get from this show. However, I'm with you Tim when you hope that the season will be no more than 13 eps.
"I prefer to see this than the two of them making out" Don't be so quick to get rid of that stuff. Hot teens making out is what helped the Internet catch on.
Lets hope the series will be no more than 13 episodes... :-p

(That's probably not fair since I don't watch it anymore.)
Well i think they saving money for second season, so now they are stetting up decorations for new locations on terra nova and with showing us this all crap buying time for them to build and come up with something better. Na just joking - probably next episode will be last of terra nova for me !
Yeah, I'm not that far to think that too ... lets see what the next eps will be.
Wow Tim you thought this was a decent episode of Terra Nova. Gonna strongly disagree with you on this one. I thought it was tied for the worst with every other Terra Nova episode barring the Pilot and the last episode. With that said it was so bad that I couldn't even fully read your recap because I didn't feel like recapping the boringness I felt watching the episode. Well I never thought I'd say it as I haven't took the time to say it about any show so far on here but I think I'm done with this one after this episode as I can see that Terra whatever is going to stretch out their only interesting storyline for the remainder of the series. Hugely dissapointed as I think I haven't been looking forward to a series as much as this one for quite some time. With that said Case Closed!!!
The problem with this show is that it seems to be written with a family-entertainment formula.(adding dinosaurs). With so many good shows out there right now, it just fails in comparison. It's just the waste of potential. Adding the cost aspect for this show it inevitably must go down after season 1.
"family-entertainment" my bleeding eye!!!

Murder, dinosaurs running after people. Hell, they should have done a remake of "Giligan's Island". It would have cost less and would have had a better chance.
Not saying it's a good idea to try to mash storylines for everyone. But it's obviously what they're doing. e.g. Teenage romance, Zoe playing with dinosaurs every other episode.
HOW DARE YOU! There are literally DOZENS of people who love Terra Nova, yet you continue with your biased, nonobjective, bordering on spiteful reviews. Never mind the fact the writers seem to be is more focused on regurgitated Disney family melodrama, than any substantive science fiction elements. Disregard the bland and unbelievably immediate repetitiveness of a program, that is remarkably only on it's sixth episode. Forget about the horrible writing, predictably contrived plots, and lack of action on a show with such a large budget. COME ON, TIM! Where's your objectivity? I don't understand where all this negativity is coming from. You should really find someone on your staff who appreciates Terra Nova for the beautiful drivel that it is (if you can).
Objectivity is overrated. I believe an excellent review considers personal feelings. And I for one, feel personally let down by Terra Nova.
I forgot: A GPS ? It means that they already put satellites up there ? Or are they in the future finally with satellites still working after millions of years !
I never heard the word "GPS" nor "Satellite". They mentionned "locator" which could be, for instance, something like a beacon paired with a radio frequency or sonar-based technology. They obviously are vague to avoid to have to really think about it.
I am seriously considering on not giving to much attention to shows or movies that are produced by Steven Spielberg. First Super 8, then Falling Skies and now Terranova. It is just too sad watch good ideas going so dumb..
Sorry to defend Falling Skies again, but it was hundred times deeper than Terra Nova. Plus, the main plot was going forward and I don't remember having that many useless fillers.
He used to be very good but, lately, he has lend his name to some very bad projects. I remember the series "Taken", for instance.
I had high hopes for this show, still have no ideas how the writers messed this up. The 85m BC scenery + 22 century tech = so much potential...

You just can't blame the actors. Seriously guys, 7 years in Terra Nova and this is the first murder, over some debt.. Not logical. I'll let dinosaur murder slide, but the CSI-fail with the guy and his wife was absolute bull.

-Marooning a soldier doesn't make sense if he could just go join your enemies

-Who is the dumb one.. Sky or Josh.. (make up your minds already) seriously, just last week a bunch of there friends were killed by dinos .. SMH now there's going out to meet the 6rs?

PS: I'd prefer watching the Sixers side and how the survive out there.. seriously, that's the real Terra Nova.
I watched a little bit because I thought they would finally explain how the past communicates with the future so easily. When it became clear I wasn't getting my answer, and when that moppet I can't stand appeared on camera again, I switched channels. This thing is sooooo bad.
I enjoyed this weeks episode. Developed some of the lesser characters. Looks like next week we finally may have some action - about time.
The show lacks drama, comedy and intrigue. So far there is no real story to follow just a bunch of randon happenings that i for one could care a less about. With shows like Damages and Breaking Bad ending next season there really will be nothing worth while watching on TV
Maybe they are not yet of the same level but Homeland and American Horror Story seem to be decent replacements so far!
Give it a chance people. Let them flesh out the characters and work things out.

Just remember all the great shows that when you watch the first couple of seasons

make you cringe because of the horrid acting/story etc. Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, ST:TNG and many, many more all look cheesy and raw the first season or two.

As for the CGI, it's not Jurrasic Park, they can't spend 10million/episode. The effects are fine and reasonable for TV. I've seen much worse.
"Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, ST:TNG and many, many more all look cheesy and raw the first season or two."

No way!

Besides don't compare "drama" with "comedy".

Check the first six episodes of The Wire, The Shield, Prison Break, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Burn Notice, Leverage, Damages, Dexter, Flashpoint, Fringe, Justified, the new Hawaii Five-0, NCIS, "24" and,more recently, Person of Interests.

We are not at all in the same ballpark and it should not take 2 years (not even one) for a show to be ... "good".
i Agree with all shows you listed except fringe i dont like it - and all my friends call me crazy for that :D
I'm lately getting away from that one also but the first 6 episodes were better than the first 6 of Terra Nova.

Even Ringer which we could say had a as much a shaky start as Terra Nova has picked up very well since.
I know how people hate to hear it, but this show should really be more like Lost. No one wants to watch a show where people are happily settled in a prehistoric world, solving whatever petty problem pops up each episode and then sipping juice and cooing over dino eggs in between. That's boring. These are people fleeing from a collapsing world trying to survive in the distant past. Where's the survival? Where's the struggle? How is this not interesting?

Thematically, it's not all that different from Lost. We have the settlers living in this mysterious tropical world, monsters that roam the wilderness and a scary group of Others outside of it all with motivations unknown. I don't actually expect a carbon copy of Lost, but they had all the tools to make this show just as exciting, complex, and realistic (as realistic as a show with smoke monsters got), and they dropped the ball for this family crap. This episode was undoubtedly better than the rest, so i'll resist tuning out next week, but still, I wouldn't mind if a dinosaur gobbled up Zoe and her brother. Now that would make a great episode.
This show is terrible. Terrible Nova. Fake dinosaurs, and barely and of them. Stupid plot-lines, and horrible acting. Who comes up with this stuff?
this show's been off our DVR for a couple of weeks. Very disappointing.
I really tried but this show keeps getting worse.

I understand it's light entertainment... it's not Homeland or, i dunno, Mad Men... But that doesn't mean it shouldn't make sense... NCIS is also light entertainment, their crime mysteries though actually make sense
Boy, oh boy... what a failure.......

First of all - the murder mystery.... Why did husband confess? Yes, he thought that his wife had killed the soldier but... why would his wife, if she had an affair with him, do that. And if he knew that the wife had already dumped the soldier, why would he think the wife killed him? Doesn't make sense.... If I knew that my wife was having an affair with some man and police arrived to ask her some questions about her relationship with him, I wouldn't rush in screaming "I DID IT! I KNEW SHE HAD AN AFFAIR WITH HIM, SO I KILLED THE MOTHERFUCKER!"

Where's the logic......?

I don't like it when a show makes me want to root for a military dictatorhip... Taylor is basically the legislative, executive and judicial power in Terra Nova. The fact that he believes that bunishment is a more humane/good thing to do than locking a person in a prison is one thing... another thing is that he doesn't believe in any kind of trial, be it by some appointed judge or jury... he doesn't believe in collecting evidence too (the same can be said about Shannon)... and the scene with him looking in soldiers eyes and saying thet he knows he killed him and no other evidence is necessary.... my mum used to do that when I was a kid and ate candy when I wasn't supposed to .... and he applies that to murder.

Why would they take a guy out far into the jungle just to confront him... Yes, they gave him an empty gun. What woul've happened if he had another gun and shoot both... or injured them severely... Why unnecessary risks? Cause it's written BY MORONS.

The thing with dino egg was cute and for all family audience but WHO ON EARTH WOULD WASTE RESOURCES ON COMPLICATED OPERATION ON A DINO'S EGG? Would two of the best Terra Nova minds spend days just figuring out how to save an egg even if a small girl was into that kind of sh**...

I hate lazy writing, everyting was lazy about this episode... How about them raising hell with two cars, motorcycles chasing a dino that swallowed soldier's tags...? Dinos are animals, they are disturbed by wild noise... couldn't they just approach it silently and stun... rather than shouting and risking to get killed on every step by looking at the top of the tree, thinking about on which one of them the dino will jump??

If you're a father/mother of 2-3 just from a 9-5 job and watch this show with your family it might be ok for you. If you're a single guy, 23, and watch tv to gain quality entertainment... and you look and analyse every scene... then there's nothing really great about "Terra Nova"...
It is not fair that Terra Nova's reviews are written by a person that despises the show, let me review Boredwalk Empire or Modern Family, shows that most of the people love and I'll destroy them too just like Tim Surette is doing with Terra Nova, his reviews are totally biased and they are anything but objective and informative.

The best thing they could do is change the reviewer for someone who has a more objective eye towards this show, which is not the best either the worst but I think it's quite good.
I don't understand why people want the reviewer to be objective. The judgment of the episode is, by definition, subjective. There's no such thing as objectivity into a review because if there is it's called a synopsis.

Thinking that doesn't prevent me to disagree with Tim and that's what the comments section is made for.
It wouldn't be more fair and as biased if it was done by someone who loved the show. What do you expect? That the reviewers are totally indifferent? That would be such a boring job. If the reviewers do not like (or despise) a show it is not necessarily their fault. Anyway, curiously, I haven't seen as much writing and detailing from the comments of those who like the show as from those who don't.

Why don't you tell us what you find so great about the show?

Oups, Maybe that would not be very objective and fair either, would it?
if you like this show, there is something terribly wrong with you or you are just 12 years old.
Staff
So a negative review means the reviewer wasn't objective?
Staff
Well, I think you'll find my first few reviews were pretty objective. But there's only so many times I can say "it has a lot of potential" or "I hope it gets better" before it's repetitive and I'm just fooling myself. I will absolutely recognize any improvement in the show as I see it, you can bet on that. But until then, it gets the same treatment as The Event.
Has it ever crossed your mind that he WAS being subjected? Never mind that this is the best episode of Terra Nova ever (low praise I know), but compared to other shows this one was just filled with logical failures that absolutely deserves mockery. For 35 minutes we were strung around on a pointless dinosaur chase that will probably have no bearing on the main storyline, or anything that happens. It was filler, but at least it was well directed filler, which the last 4 episodes can barely boast of. As Tim pointed out by mentioning their currency and the deal with the bar guy, the world of Terra Nova is desperately in need of more thought.
Staff
You're right, I am being subjected to it!

Haha how did I not spot that! Well, I hope you keep being subjected. Your recaps are the only amusing things about this show.
I'm pretty sure the reviewers care more about laughs than objectivity.
I like the show despite it's flaws, though I hope it does get better.
This was my favorite episode of the season thus far, besides the awesome 2-part premiere.
Remember people this show is filmed in the jungles of Australia so thats why it cost so much.

Well Xena, Hercules, and Legend of the Seeker were filmed down there or there abouts and they did not cost an arm and a leg, and were pretty entertaining. I'm very much into fantasy and specially sci-fi, and I have tried very hard to get excited about this show! Well yesterday I fell asleep in the middle of it... it's just sad...
Lame episode again. This is supposed to be survival. There should be some difficulties, I mean real difficulties in this new environment. A bit like when John Smith arrived on the Mayflower in America or when the vikings arrived in Greenland; sickness, cold weather, the bad dinausors, violence, rapes, etc .... Instead, there are these two teenagers who walk in the forest during the night (which is supposed to be full of dangerous dinos), and this CSI-type solving mistery. I feel a bit the same as with Falling skies: for this show, I was waiting for scences like in Terminator, where people live underground and move mainly during the night, not people walking in groups during the day, chatting like nothing ever happened etc ... In any case, I have read quite a lot of reviews from Tim now, on many shows, and his comments are generally well justified and very interesting ...
I was hoping the dino would smash out of its shell and rip the gals face off. Now THAT would have been an ending :).
I don't loathe the show, it's too boring and the script writing is too shoddy to loathe it.
@SeanArata= I agree with you. I know that when writing about something that you don't like or think is boring it can be hard to not let your feelings show through, but come on. There are shows that make much less sense than Terra Nova and no one rags on them. Everyone loves them and millions of people watch them. I'm not saying that Terra Nova is the best show out there, because it's not; it has storyline flaws and character lackings, but as a show about people going back in time and having to deal with dinosaurs and other issues 22nd Century humans have never had to worry about, but they are dealing with it in a very realistic way and a way that is relateable to audiences.
well your right i don't like Fringe at all and all my friends calling me crazy/nuts for that i watched first 2 seasons idk why i even did it - what i can do its just to boring for me.

Well this episode was better but still something like for kids/teenagers - save little dinosaur :D
I think that someone else (who doesn't already loathe the show) should write the reviews. There is absolutely NO sense of fair writing here.
Staff
Huh? Since when does being fair only mean being positive? You must be able to tell from many of the other comments that this show is objectively bad.
I don't know about the money, but i remember spending far too little time worrying about that when josh was first torturing that poor guitar that would cost him 60 terras.

i keep trying to watch this thing, but it's just too easy to flip channels and find entertaining commercials these days.
The motive for the killing was idiotic. One soldier owes another soldier terra nova money so he kills him? What were the going to do, reposes his hut? What's with people saying how dangerous it is at night and then 10 minutes later having 2 teenagers walking miles to a secret meetup? If this show makes it to a season 2 they need to fire every single writer and get some real ones.
and they said that they were going to build a better humanity... A Second Chance to do it right this time...
i don't see how this show costs so much money.. Primeval had better SFX and didn't cost as much.. i like Terra Nova,but man is it cheesy.. the little girl just randomly wakes up just as the eggs hatching? sure. i think it's funny how everybody's complaing about how bad this is, but yet there are probably hundreds of worst shows that're on air right now, most of them on CBS (except for Monday night) and NBC (except for Parenthood and Thursday night shows)
The way the Terra Nova economy works is, everybody gets enough basic, bland food to survive from the communal efforts, but if you want something interesting to eat, you have to either go find it yourself or pay someone to get it for you. (Not sure why they don't kill one of the big lizards and have a massive barbeque).

Earlier, we saw that the kids run a still out by the forbidden waterfall... apparently risking death by dinosaur beats the prices charged by the bar.
i think terra nova is getting better and better ever episode and people should give it a chance
Simply have to say it.....: WOW!!!