The 4-Episode Test, Fall 2013 Edition, Part 3: The Originals, Masters of Sex, Super Fun Night, and More

You know what they say about the third round of the ol' TV.com 4-Episode Test: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. What? They don't say that? Well who do "they" think they are? Whatever, moving on: This was a tough group of shows to get through. Back when we first started this fall's proceedings, we were relatively hopeful. And after round two, things were looking pretty decent overall. But round three contained some real stinkers—it's like the broadcast networks saved many of their worst shows for last! (Well, almost last; we'll do a fourth and final catch-all round in a couple weeks, to weigh in on the stragglers.) However: It's not all red Xs up ahead, because thanks to cable and one sassy witch, there are a couple true keepers here, too. Hence that 'best of times, worst of times' thing. Ladies and gentlemen, round three:

Betrayal

Episode 1: ★★★ | Episode 2: ★★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★★★

Verdict: Dump it.

After introducing the series with one of the worst drama pilots of all time, there was only one way for this disaster could go: just barely up. The Jack-Sara affair at the core of Betrayal's dry romance finally showed some signs of life in Episode 4, but up until that point, it only consisted of Jack's frightening stalking, Sara's perverse day-mare fantasies, and wretched fingerbanging in the back of a taxi. For whatever reason, several stories following new characters sprung up in Episodes 3 and 4, and the show's "sexiness" was undermined when Jack exhibited more chemistry with his 18-year-old lesbian IT whiz than he has with Sara. The last two episodes weren't as embarrassing as the first two, but they didn't help solidify what this show is about. Is it a steamy romance? It is a murder romance? Is it Chicago big-business mobsterdom? Is it TV's version of The Room? Poor James Cromwell, he really should erase this from his resumé and go back to playing sadistic Nazi scientists. —Tim Surette

Hello Ladies

Episode 1: ★★★★ | Episode 2: ★★★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★★★

Verdict: It's earned a fifth date.

There are moments when Hello Ladies is by far the best new comedy of the season, and there are moments when it's just difficult to watch. That's the series' aim, but it still needs to figure out how to make the awkwardness fun. This up-and-down quality was on perfect display in Episode 4, which featured some of the biggest laughs of the fall, alongside some of its most painful moments. When Hello Ladies is at its best, it touches on what made Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld so special; when it's at its worst, it feels like a knock-off of both. Main character Stuart is still too over-the-top, refusing to tap the brakes for the sake of cringe comedy, but the supporting characters—Kevis, Wade, Rory, and Jessica—are fantastic (Jessica could go on to become the new Elaine Benes). Reinforcing Hello Ladies worth-watching status are its surprisingly artistic emotional moments, which express the true pain of aching loneliness—and which have caught me off guard in every episode. This is a good show that will get better. And the awesome soundtrack doesn't hurt, either. —Tim

Masters of Sex

Episode 1: ★★★★ | Episode 2: ★★★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★★★★

Verdict: Move this to the top of your Sunday-night watch list.

This season's crop of new shows has left quite a bit to be desired, but there's one legitimately good, teetering on great drama in the bunch, and that's Showtime's Masters of Sex. The show has a lot of ground to cover in the real-life work and romantic courtship of the chilly genius Dr. William Masters and his smart, progressive assistant (and eventual wife) Virginia Johnson, but it's done a, well, masterful job in that regard thus far. Although there's quite a bit of buzzworthy material to play with—a whole lotta masturbating and nudity, for starters—the show has successfully honed in on the personal drives and frustrations of a slew of fascinating characters. Michael Sheen has been great as Masters, but Lizzie Caplan has been even better. Her Virginia is strong, smart, complex, and willing to throw Masters' (or any man's) B.S. back at him. For a show that's headlined by a man, Masters of Sex has many great and interesting female characters that help it paint a more diverse picture of the late 1950s than anyone might have expected. I know you're bummed out about Homeland, but stick with Showtime anyway, because Masters of Sex is worth it. —Cory Barker

The Millers

Episode 1: ★★ | Episode 2: ★★★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★★★

Verdict: Oh what the heck—keep watching (or DVR it for a rainy day).

Confession: I thought this show was going to be a real stinker. I didn't hate the pilot, but nothing about it really stood out, either. And after four episodes, I have to say that I find the show amusing enough to give it the green light. The weakest parts of The Millers—the plots that feature the helplessness of Beau Bridges' Tom, for instance—are eventually balanced out by some genuinely funny moments courtesy of Will Arnett and Margo Martindale. And Episode 2, which featured Eliza Coupe as the ex-wife of Arnett's Nathan, was definitely a high point. The show should bring her out more often. Bottom line: Although it's not laugh-out-loud funny, The MIllers is a harmless comedy that passes the time easily. (But just a suggestion, CBS: Tone down the Smothering Mothering a bit. It doesn't need to be the focus of every episode.) —Kaitlin Thomas

The Originals

Episode 1: ★★★★ | Episode 2: ★★★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★★★★

Verdict: It was shaky for a while there, but keep watching.

The Originals faced the same curse-slash-blessing as any other backdoor pilot: It counted on fans to be familiar with the characters but then spent most of its creative energy trying to attract new viewers. That made for a very frustrating start, as anyone with a passing familiarity with The Vampire Diaries was bound to grow extremely bored with the constant exposition of the parent show's labyrinthine plotlines. Viewer goodwill and artful rephrasing made the series premiere an overall success, but then Episodes 2 and 3 seriously overestimated our tolerance for reiterated back story. Suddenly The Originals felt tedious, unadventurous, and borderline creatively bankrupt. Thankfully Episode 4 happened.: It was a rip-roaring hour full of forward momentum, crowd-pleasing moments, and the kind of TVD-inspired breakneck storytelling fans of the franchise have grown accustomed to. If Episode 4 was any indication, The Originals may soon finally become as good as (or better than) we all expected it would be. —Price Peterson

Sean Saves the World

Episode 1: ★★ | Episode 2: ★★ | Episode 3: ★★ | Episode 4: ★★

Verdict: Nope.

Sean Saves the World is what happens when a network starts develops a show by grabbing a "star" and stops developing it immediately afterward. NBC's love affair with and commitment to Sean Hayes (he produced Smash and created Hollywood Game Night) shows just how out of touch the network is with the world around it, and the decision to plop this uninspired comedy in the 9pm slot on Thursday reveals just how far gone its mind is. Each of the first three episodes was indistinguishable from the one before, with only the fourth episode showing a hint of originality when it faked the death of a bellhop. The series' sole bright spot is Tom Lennon (Sean's boss), who earned all the points in the star ratings above. Why NBC ever thought this show would be worth anything is beyond me. —Tim

Super Fun Night

Episode 1: ★★ | Episode 2:  ★★ | Episode 3: ★★★★★ | Episode 4: ★★

Verdict: Burn any hard copies and erase this show from your memory.

There's no other way to put it, Super Fun Night is a complete wreck. And I'm trying to be nice here. This is technically a five-episode test, since ABC scrapped the pilot (probably due to poor advanced reviews) and kicked off the series with Episode 2; unfortunately, it didn't show a single sign of improvement at any point during its first two-and-a-half hours. This sitcom has two ideas of what constitues "funny"—singing, and ripping clothes off of Kimmie—and it dips into those wells all too often. In a season full of generally terrible new comedies, Super Fun Night is the worst of the bunch, bottoming out in its purely awful Halloween episode, which featured three costume changes for Kimmie (sexy vampire, bride of Frankenstein's monster, and the "chick" in a "chick magnet" couple costume), none of which even attempted to take advantage of the show supposedly being a comedy. I'm no big fan of Rebel Wilson, but even I know she's better than this disappointment, which was rushed onto the schedule just because ABC wanted to say it had a show starring Rebel Wilson. How did the network possibly convince itself that Super Fun Night would be a good fit behind Modern Family when it also had Back in the Game, The Goldbergs, and Trophy Wife? No more for me, please. Ever. —Tim

PREVIOUSLY:

The 4-Episode Test, Fall 2013 Edition, Part 1: Dads, Sleepy Hollow, The Michael J. Fox Show, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine

The 4-Episode Test, Fall 2013 Edition, Part 2: The Blacklist, Hostages, S.H.I.E.L.D., and More

I'm sorry that I love Betrayal as much as I do. But everyone likes a show they shouldn't at some point. Uhm....Hello Ladies didn't watch yet..but I love British people and really that solidifies that for me. Everything else is trash to me. The Originals...I don't watch the original show so I don't even get the premise at all.
Hello Ladies seems like a clone of Legit, obnoxious foreign guy front lining, out of shape divorcee sidekick, handicapped guy in a wheelchair who gets the women... it's kind of strange they'd follow the same casting so closely. it's not overly funny to be honest. it has moments but the lead is such a jackass I find myself wanting to hit him more than laugh at him.
I enjoy Sean saves the world, the cast are fun and make me laugh.
Figures Tim wrote the 4-episode review for "Super Fun Night." The dude has no sense of easy going, light-hearted enjoyment! This show is most certainly not the worst comedy premiere of the season, and the Halloween episode was actually very enjoyable. I will never stop watching this show!
“Masters of Sex” is so boring; I won’t keep watching that one.
“Betrayal” I gave up on after having seen that terrible pilot.

But I’ll keep watching “Super Fun Night”. It’s nowhere close as bad as this article makes it out to be. It’s actually rather funny. :D (I want to see the pilot!) But I agree it doesn’t seem like a very good fit for ‘Modern Family’ ...
Oh I forgot about “Sean Saves the World”. Again I have to disagree. I watched the first 2 episodes but found Sean’s boss to be so annoying and weird and boring I couldn’t keep watching. He’s without question the worst part of this unpretentious, forgettable series.
I watch none of these.
I only watched 3 shows out of the 7 and I am sticking with all.

Hello Ladies is wonderful good. Stephen Merchant is not as likable as Louie C.K or Ricky Gervais but he was not as annoying as I thought he would be. It is one of the show that I think some people will hate but I think it does "loneliness" and "awkwardness" of being single very well !

Masters of Sex is the best NEW show for this fall. For a show about sex, it is great most fans loved it for the story and the 2 main character especially Lizzy. I am predicting she gets nominated for an Emmy and may even win if the show goes on for multiple seasons.
The focus of The Millers are on the 4 main family members and I say they are all great especially Will, Margo and Beau. The jokes are not anything special but its a lot of fun.
It says "vote to see the current results" but I'm not sticking with ANY of these. I'll just click "Masters of Sex" to look classy... and what a surprise, it's got a huge boner of votes.

Meanwhile, I'm giving up on The Millers, Sean Saves the World (I gave it less than 3 minutes, sorry show), and Super Fun Night which could work but never gets it even remotely close to right.
thank you for telling they get married....................... i hadnt read anything from the real life masters to not spoil myself. THANK YOU
I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. This isn't a friggin' book, it's history, it's a thing that happened 14 years after this show takes place. Another spoiler, they also got divorced and died.
its based on real life i know and like any book or ficticious story you can google it. the point is i didnt. i dont even read reviews, and then i went ahead and read this and he had to add information tha wasnt even needed... i have only myself to blame. also by how the story is progressing in the show i would have never ever thought they would get married wich made it even worst
Think of it this way, it's like when a procedural show tells you who the killer is at the outset, and the drama comes from discovering why they did it and the various little things surrounding that. "How did William Masters eventually leave his wife of 29 years and get Virginia Johnson to marry him after 15 years of working together?" It's still compelling human drama that way, just not so much a "surprise".
I guess, but it's history, it's not just real life, they are historical figures and events, it comes up outside of discussion of the show: "did you know Masters and Johnson eventually married?" It happens, it's not a spoiler because it's a factual event that already passed.

As for the show, it's unlikely that they'll ever cover the marriage because it happened in such a later timeframe, and they'd also have to cover... well, I won't spoil it further but their later personal and professional lives are probably more interesting than merely learning that they married 15 years after the show takes place.
I'm sticking with the Originals! I am truly loving it!!!
Am torn on the Millers. I really enjoy watching almost every actor in the series and they are great they are not being served well enough by the material. The writing is not funny enough with such talent in it.
For The Originals it was never a question weather they will stay. After the success of The Vampire Diaries, The Originals are just adding more food for the fans.
What? Betrayal got better over time?! Now I regret I didn't give it the 4-episode test.
Not really.
i am watching only The originals of this list and i love it. It think it is getting better every week.
The only one i wasn't planning on watching was Once upon a time in Wonderland, but now Whoopi is going to play in it...i think i am going to wait, how that goes,before i decide...
No surprises here.
Dropping everything. Still have to get to The Originals and Masters of Sex though.
So I much be the only one that not can stand Hello Ladies!?
No you are not, I couldn't get through more than ten minutes of it. It was painful.
I am loving The Originals more than TVD right now!!! I like them both but its like I cant wait for the next episode of TO when I think crap TVD was on 2 days ago I should watch it.
Masters of Sex is a definite must watch for me!

The Originals is there, I will keep watchin it. I just can't pretend to get over Klaus after all the things he did in TVD. I mean...he actually murdered Jenna. I still hate him for that.

Hello Ladies does make me cringe and my skin crawl at times, but I will keep watching it. I like Jessica. She needs her own show where she can continue her catty relationship with arch-nemesis Amelia. I find them funnier than the rest of the bunch.
Aww man when I was making my dead pool I was deciding whether to put Originals or Betrayal on there. Clearly I made the wrong choice and put Originals on it ): Although I really got to check Masters of Sex out seems really good!
I'm liking The Originals more than TVD right now. But it could change. First reason?: Damon got soft...
Agreed 100% with these.
I had hope for Hello Ladies and I watch three episode to give it a fair shot but I couldn't watch anymore, the cringe comedy is succeeds at making me cringe but not at making me laugh. There are some genuinely funny moments but none of them involve Merchant trying to hit on a woman, it's just painful to watch.
well. at least somebody has something to watch. my tv is as useless as two turds on a hot day in august
I totally disagree with your assessment on Betrayal.
I like it, quite more than Revenge.
MOS is ok, drags on but is mildly interesing

Hello is just plain good!, Like The League, watch it 2 times and you hear stuff you missed the first time! Merchant is a talent!!

Is SFN the worst show ever? Dont get me started about Wilson, why do people think she is funny at anything?
Betrayal, one of the worst drama pilots of all time? Seriously, what show are you watching, TV.Com staff or whoever really did write this? I can't speak for Sean Saves the World, because I've never watched it, but I do watch every other show on this list, and I will continue to do so. I had no idea who Rebel Wilson was prior to Super Fun Night, but I like the show, as I do all the others here except SSTW.
i love masters of sex. lizzie caplan is beautiful and she has breathed life into the character of virginia johnson. i couldnt be happier with the show thus far.
In last week's episode of Hello Ladies they had Kevis and Wade reading Stuart's journal and feeling sorry for him... and I was thinking "wait, this show's been on only a few weeks, how am I feeling these things?" Bravo, Stephen Merchant. Also, I <3 Christine Woods. She would have been wasted as a dead person in the late great Go On.
Sorry, Hello Ladies, but you just didn't do it for me. Your main character doesn't have a redeeming quality and I don't have time for someone like that.
Tim somehow mirrored my feelings on Hello Ladies exactly. It can have huge laughs and then be depressingly cringe worthy and unfunny. I'll be sticking with it because it's one of few promising new shows. episodes 1 and 4 were my favorites and I prefer kives over wade.

I have masters of sex queued up but can't bring myself to muster the interest to give it a try. I heart lizzy caplan but that and nudity are about all it has going for it as far as I can tell and currently that's not enough. If it were someone other than Corey the giving the recommendation it might have been a proper push but we don't seem to share an genuine interest in any other shows. and showtime hasn't been a true draw since nudity was enough to get me to watch something.

So just last night I binge watched all of super fun night when I ran out of other things to watch. I can't bring myself to do a show with a laugh track any more so at least super fun night was harmless in that regard. I disagree that "the only things the show thinks are funny are undressing kimmy and singing." that british dude was pretty solid comic relief, at least up until he fell for kendall. when he was naively(?) uninterested in kendall and brushing her off for any reason that suited him it was pretty funny. otherwise yeah the show is entirely lackluster and probably good for only a couple of giggles an episode but, again, I consider laugh tracks a scourge and so my personal options are pretty limited when it comes to comedy. I'll probably continue to check it out every time I become desperate for someting to watch and I can't be bothered to sit through a SNL repeat because we all know how hit and miss that can be and I'm currently nearing kate mckinnon's arrival wich is the beginning of the end in my mind.

the millers and sean save the world are both multi-camera laugh trackers right? and again, hey Tim!? you think "agents of shield" is garbage too, right?
Of those, the only one I was watch was The Originals but maybe I will give Masters of Sex a try.
the Originals is awesome, the first four are way better than TVD first four, as for the BETRAYAL its far better than people think, IMO peoples expectations were high due to the fact of ABC Disclaimer!!! which IMO is fruitless I have seen more adult content on ABC FAMILY!! for the rest I do not watch!!!
I watch The Originals and Betrayal. I will keep watching.
Will everyone stop telling me how good Hello Ladies and Masters of Sex are! I don't have time for new shows, don't convince me to watch more!

I may have missed a couple of your reviews of The Originals, Price. I haven't seen the fourth episode yet, but I thought the first three episode were great, particularly the second. And I've watched all of The Vampire Diaries too, so your major gripe of re-introducing characters and heavy exposition is lot on me. Anyway, it's the best new show of the season that I'm watching.
Just think though, if you don't start watching them now you'll have to play catch up when you inevitably start watching them.

one of us...
one of us....
one of us....
You sure make a convincing argument...
Plus, the absolute worst downer.. when you finally DO marathon it to play catch up and you happen across a really great scene/episode and everyone else has long since stopped talking about it? the WORST!
if you weren't watching things like the vampire diaries and the originals you'd have time for new shows, no?
True. But it's not as if I'm watching them for no reason, I actually enjoy those shows. Just because these two new shows maybe considered a lot better than The Vampire Diaries or The Originals (although comparing them is probably relative) doesn't mean I'm instantly going to drop pre-established shows that I already watch in favour of them.

I'll probably get to both eventually, although each has something that makes me suspect I might not enjoy them as much as everyone else. The question of Masters of Sex pacing has been bought up, and I don't generally enjoy period pieces, while Hello Ladies has been described as often cringe-worthy, which is not the sort of humour I'm after.
Master of SEX is a must watch ! Boardwalk is a period piece. Virginia Johnson died not long ago, its quite recent actually.

You are able to relate to Hello ladies more if you are a awkward single man or at least if you used to be.
You've got me on Boardwalk, and I'm most definitely an awkward single man, but I don't know, watching a show about another awkward single man might hit too close to home for me haha
Luckily I haven't wasted a minute of my like on Sean Saves the World or Super Fun Night, which seems to have been a good decision all along... yay me.
Because men are deficient at writing interesting women? What?
Masters of Sex is the only one of this bunch that I've watched, and I'm definitely sticking with it.
The Ladies Man, Masters of Sex and The Millers are definitely checked off.

The X's I haven't bothered watching so I can't say much about them.
The originals is a great show I love it and it's getting better and better by each passing episode
oh boy, for the which shows are you sticking with, NONE OF THEM, in that list LoL . I don't get the channels that Hello Ladies, and Masters of Sex are on . But I am giving up on Betrayal, and Super Fun Night as the 1st episodes bored me beyond boredom . I laughed quite a bit during the 1st episode of The Millers but I haven't laughed since so I dropped that sitcom from my must watch list . As for The Originals, well I got bored with The Vampire Diaries during the middle of season 4 so much so I haven't even watched season 5 so I have no desire to jump into its spin-off show either . As for Sean Saves the World, I have never seen a single episode.
giving up/ never watched all of the above.
I like the Millers but I agree about the character of Tom, him being really clueless is way too over the top that it makes me question how he's able to function at all half the time. Love the Originals (probably more than TVD at the moment) as well as Masters of sex. In all honesty, I haven't tried any of the others on this list as none of them appeal to me for whatever reason, although I think reading tv.com articles put me off trying Super Fun Night.
I'm watching Master of Sex, which is great, and thinking about The Originals, since I have never watched TVD. For what I read here, it might be something worth catching up with, so I might try a couple of episodes.
I still fell The Originals should never have killed off the youngest brother, as I think he would have provided more story opportunities plus, maybe, be the more unpredictable of them. It feels like the show is incomplete without him.

Gave up Sean after the first episode.

I've only seen some scenes of the Millers and can't say it interests me in the least. Also not a fan of Arnett. I also can't help Martindale made a mistake here. I should probably try a full episode though, so I could be wrong.

Super Fun Night I have not seen, but I believe it is doing better in overall ratings than something like MJ Fox's show. Is Tim the right audience for this? Shouldn't Kaitlin Thomas be reviewing this? It may be working because it's geared towards more realistic looking women who are happy with who they are rather than the pretty and skinny Hollywood ideal that is often the norm. That is not to say it is doing it right, but I think women may be, or are, identifying with it that way.

I've not seen or get premium cable for the rest.
Yeah, perhaps The Vampire Diaries writers weren't thinking about The Originals spin-offs when they killed off Kol. It would have been fun, but I guess Klaus is providing the unpredictable/ reckless role in the family, so maybe it'll be alright.
It also occurred to me that Rebekah could have perhaps better identified with and bonded with Kol after all the years with Klaus with whom she's basically fed up with now. Then you have Elijah being the older (?), more adult, responsible one making him more of a parent figure with the actual folks and older brother gone now. Kol would have balanced them all out, I think. You're right though, they may not have known a spin-off series was being thought about. Of course, he may rise from the dead in some way plus they'll give her a boyfriend/girlfriend otherwise, but still.
Kol is on the "other side" so might come back as a ghost, an since New Orleans is filled with witches he could come back to the world of the living dead.
Masters of Sex is the only one I'm still watching.

All the others I've never tried or decided to quit.

I kept thinking of sticking with The Millers because of the cast, but I hate seeing Martindale in that role and the others just don't have enough funny material for me to stick around.
Masters is amazing!

Masters of Sex and The Originals are the two shows I'm sticking with out of these, I love them both, but for very different reasons. Masters is simply tv of the highest quality, and The Originals is pure fun.

I hate cringe comedy, so Hello Ladies sounds like torture to me. I've seen a few episodes of most of the other shows, but none of them have managed to keep my interest.
I might be the only person in the world, who will ever say this, but I actually kind of like Super Fun Night. The characters are really awkward in a fun way that female characters usually aren't on tv. They're not just the token female smurfettes in a mostly male ensemble of immature weirdos, they're the focus of the show. It's true that SFN does have a lot of rough spots to work through, but there's something about it that enjoy watching. Although, I liked watching Neighbors every once in awhile too, so that probably says something about my tolerance for unpopular abc comedies.
I also didn't like Masters of Sex or Ray Donovan either. I thought that Masters of Sex was much to reminiscent of the boring parts of Mad Men and while Lizzy Caplan is usually great, her delivery of 1950s lines was kind of weird. Ray Donovan made me realize that the anti-hero character trope is getting old and will stop being enjoyable soon unless some new element is added to it. I agree with Dudekota, the only show I actually liked on Showtime was the L Word.
I also like duper fun night well enough, and am also a fan of the neighbors which tim badmouths without good reason. the neighbors actually came back incredibly strong this season IMO. and it has some great talents in the cast (namely the alien family.)

I've not tried masters of sex probably for the reasons you didn't care for it despite also being a fan of lizzy caplan. and I did enjoy ray donovan but it was despite the titular character. I found his brothers and father and coworkers, even family interesting enough to keep coming back.
I like Super Fun Night as well and I am not afraid to admit it.
I can't say I'm giving up on any, because I'm only keeping with Masters...
Load More Comments