The 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards

goldenglobes_winners2_heade.JPG

Did you catch the Globes tonight on NBC? For those who did, you know it was quite a show with Queen Latifah getting it off to a running start. Up first were prestenters Natalie Portman and Adrien Brody for Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, which went to George Clooney for Syriana. For the full list of winners check out the Hollywood Foreign Press Association web-site here. Take a look at the television winners below and let us know your thoughts!

Best Television Series – Drama: Lost

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama: Geena Davis, Commander in Chief

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Hugh Laurie, House

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Desperate Housewives

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Steve Carell, The Office

Best Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made for Television: Empire Falls

Best Performance by an Actress In A Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: S. Epatha Merkerson, Lackawanna Blues

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Elvis

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Paul Newman, Empire Falls

Lost and Desperate Housewives really are right choices for Golden Globe. Sandra Oh and Paul Newman are pretty good also.
I'm super happy that Steve Carell won!!!! It's about time that The Office gets recongized. I've been watching it since it started and he makes every episode hilarious. And I'm also happy that Lost won!! YAY
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! GEENA DAVIS WON!!!!!!!! She totally deserve it!!! I am so happy, I just might have a party!!! I am not happy though Deserate Housewives won though. >:(
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEENA DAVIS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Can you tell I'm am histerically happy!!)
I believe that some of the shows going up against each other boarder on the absurd. Show like Desperate Houswives and Monk deserve their own categories, like Dramedy or something like that. To put a show that mixes Drama and Comedy up against shows that are straight comedies is just dumb.

I thought Anthony Hopkins was really classy to mention all of the behind the scenes people that he did.

I thought that it was interesting that S. Epatha Merkerson said that Lackawanna Blues was her first Feature Starring role.

How do they mix up series, mini-Series and Motion Picture for Television? Those should be three separate categories.

Steve Carell's "Wife" was hilarious!

Now we have two American Presidents that are known for lies, George Washington and Geena Davis.
I was thrilled to see that Hugh Laurie won Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series Drama. His work on House has been fantastic. He's created a clearly defined character that you really love to hate. I'm glad that his hard work was noticed. On top of it all, his acceptance speech was hillarious and original. I hope things continue to happen for him.
I'm really glad that Commander in Chief wonsomething. I adore hat show. It's great!!!! I'm also really happy that S. Epatha Merkerson won for Lackawanna Blues as she is a fabulous actress with great potential. I loved her in The District!!!! All the shows were deservng of the acolades they recieved!!!!
Ive seen House before and have to admit that Laurie does a good job at his character, but I'm angry that Matthew Fox didn't win for Jack on Lost. I think Laurie got it more because he has snappy one-liners and an attitude while Jack is more every day kind of guy.

I also think Naveen Andrews should have gotten it for best supporting. Yes I know i'm obviously a Lost fan here, but there are very few characters on t.v. as rich, layered, and deep as the ones on this show. These two plus so many more do an amazing job on the show and I'd like to see them not just the show itself get rewarded. seems like they always come up short, and where's Evangeline Lilly's nominations??

When every main woman on Desperate Housewives can get nominated in a single category, she can't even get nominated period!
very good {*-*}
hugh laurie ROCKSS!!!!!!!
I reiterate--no Arrested Development, no credibility.
Happy for all the winners EXCEPT Steve Carrell for the Office. That show absolutely ****s!

Lost = best show on tv period :)
Yeah!!! Hugh Laurie!!!
I like Desperate Housewives. It's okay but no way did they merit all those Golden Globe nods. I believe Arrested Development and Scrubs would have been better fits in their categories. They did get something right with Lost's win.
I was pretty happy with the people who won. I got extremely excited when "Brokeback Mountain" won for best drama, I love that movie, it is so amazing and i was so happy. Now I can't wait till the oscars!!!
I'm not too happy Desperate Housewives won... Great that Hugh Laurie won! His show and his performance is realy great entertainment :)
I was really suprised that Lost won considering that its second season has been so pathetic so far. They are very undeserving of that award.
I can't believe the following were snuffed!

VERONICA MARS
KRISTEN BELL
THE ENTRIE CAST OF VERONICA MARS
Smallville
24! Supporting actors and actresses!
Finally Hugh is being recognized for his incredible acting.
Congrats
Nice to see
Ang Lee WON!!!

Happy to see Commander in Chief, and House bringing home some globe as well.

Too bad I don't follow Lost/Housewives ;-)
the golden globe awards ****ed this year, there was like no clip of the nominies, i like the awards, but i though that this show was poorly configured
I watched all of these series except Empire Falls. I'll catch it on DVD later on. As for the choices, I don't quite disagree with any.
As always, the quotes from the winners of the many Golden Globes really supercede all other awards show speeches! My picks of speech winners were Steve Carell, and Geena Davis! It was just too funny!
I am so very glad my favorite televison actress won for best performance by an actress in a televison series-drama- the magnificent Geena Davis. I just wish Commander and Chief had won for best drama. I also think it is ironic that Hugh Laurie won for best actor in a drama. These two shows compete every Tuesday for ratings. Even thought CIC is my favorite show, I
think Mr. Laurie is awesome as Dr. House.
Congrats to all.
Im so glad that Hugh Laurie won Best Performance by an Actor in a television series - Drama for House I love House it has to be my favorite show hands down and I especially thought that he was so origional when he went up to accept the award.

I was also happy to see shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives and Geena Davis for Commander in Chief receive awards.

As I am in Australia we havnt yet seen a lot of the stuff that received awards but hopefully we shall be able to enjoy them soon as much of the US audience has.
I am so glad that Hugh Laurie won. I just wish I could have watched his speech, I would have liked to hear his British Accent.
I am glad to see some of my favorite shows and actresses get the awards they deserve.
In response to rosalindpr04 AND jamintea

i am not sure if she was the very first but Patty Duke (Astin at the time) played the President of the US in the early 1980's sitcom Hail to the Chief
In your face desparate housewives. You should smoke some pot. Go weeds!
i guess that i don't understand what the hype is about desperate housewives and lost is. some of the best tv shows are ignored because there on a not as great of known tv channel. in my opinion the best tv shows come off of the WB channel. they are the most creative and the least easy to predict what will happen.
I was delighted that "Lost" won for Best Drama, and perfectly fine with the "Desperate Housewives" win for Best Comedy--though I think the REAL best comedy was "Arrested Development," which was shamefully not even nominated! I'm also not sure why Paul Newman (icon of American cinema that he is) always has to win almost everything he's nominated for. I'm sure his performance in "Empire Falls" was wonderful, but he probably won just by virtue of who he is. Naveen Andrews should have won for "Lost"--Sayid's had a pretty bad near, and Andrews proves to be one of the best, if not the best, things about "Lost."

I thought it was fitting that in her acceptance speech for her win for "Lackawanna Blues," S. Epatha Merkerson thanked NBC-without her continued role on "Law and Order," she probably won't have had the kind of name recognition needed to get the role in "Lackawanna Blues," or to be nominated for, and win, a Golden Globe.

Jason Lee should have beat Steve Carrell for the Best Actor in a Comedy award, but Carrell's speech--no matter who wrote it--was probably the night's funniest moment.
I wish I could have watched it. I'm so glad Hugh Laurie won because House is a great series and he rocks
In responce to rosalindpr04. She is the first female president. The president in Battlestar gallactica is president of some alien planet not America.
I really didn't think Hugh Laurie was going to win, but when he did i was so happy. I really loved his speech method: just pulling random people to thank out of his pocket. Very entertaining. I think he's a great actor, really deserved the role, and I'm glad to see that so many poeple support him and the show.
Congrats to Steve Carrell! But other than that, I really don't care.
Oh, and I didn't watch the awards because I was watching the 24 premiere, which was much better than any awards show.
Lost deservingly won Best Television Series Drama, although I would have liked it more if Grey's Anatomy won.

It's nice to see Geena Davis win, and her speech was the most hilarious thing of the night.

Of the drama actors, three played doctors, one played a special agent, and another played a prisoner. All of them deserved the nomination, but it was great that Hugh won cause some of the others got this award already.

Mary-Louis Parker was deserved his award, but it wouldn't be so bad to see Marcia Cross win since her storyline this year has been the best in DH.

Though I haven't seen the Office, I've heard great things about Steve Carell in it, and his speech which he said his wife wrote was very funny.

Not much in Mini-series, so I didn't really care that Empire Falls win.

When S. Epatha Merkerson won, I had the flashback to the Emmys with her wardrobe mishap, and kept thinking what else will happen to her this time....major hot flash.

I don't know if Jonathan Rhys Meyers deserved his award, but then again, I'm not into mini-series. I don't think Paul Newman deserved the award he won, because I heard Jeremy Piven was excellent in Entourage.

But I think the best moment of the night was when Sandra Oh won. When they were calling out all the names of the nominees and the screen flashed Sandra and she was hugging her family member and laughing in such a sweet way. Then when her named was called as the winner, she was sincerely so shocked. And her disoriantation as she navigated her way to the stage was so funny. But darn it, I didn't get to see her give her speech because the cable went out on and off throughout the award show. I was so pissed. But at least I got to see a clip of it online today.

A short non-television comment. So great to see Reese Witherspoon win cause she's my favorite actress, and Joaquin Phoenix also deserved it. Plus, Walk the Line won, and I'm making a promise to myself to buy the DVD when it comes out. It's a little sad that Heath and Michelle didn't win in the acting category, but at least BrokeBack Mountain took home four globes, including Best Movie Drama.
I was trying to keep score here.
ABC 4
NBC 1
FOX 1
CBS 0
SHOWTIME 1
Lost and Desperate Housewives? They're so overrated IMHO! Hugh Laurie and Sandra Oh totally deserved it! And I'm glad to see that Mary-Louise Parker won and not one of the Desperate Housewives cast! Were'nt most of them nominated?
Congratulations to Hugh Laurie and the HOUSE team :-) Loved the series from the beginning. Second Series shows in the UK as from this Thursday (01/19/2005).
I DID NOT WATCH THE AWARDS, BUT AT LEARNING OF THE WINNERS, I WONDER? WHERE ARE MY FAVORITE SHOWS AND THEIR ACTORS? BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, 24, FOR EXAMPLE? AND JUST TO MENTION IT THE 1ST WOMAN PRESIDENT APPEARED ON "BATTLESTAR", NOT "COMMANDER IN CHIEF"!!!
im so happy Hugh laurie won!!!!!!
Very glad that Lost won, great show!! With the way the current season started out I was nervous that it was not going to live up to the first season but it is back on track and is one of the best shows on TV.

Was surprised to see Marie Lousie Parker win, I am not familar with Weeds, I will have to try and find it.

Notice that one of you is looking forward to catch the new season of "Lost" when it comes to Star World...If you have Itunes you can download each episode for $1.99 per episode along with some other really good shows.
Congratulations to Lost as best drama series and to all the winners too.Lost is my favourite,I always looking forward to watching every episode when it was playing and now anxiously waiting for the next season. Hope it comes to Star WORLD soon ;)
hurray for mary-louise parker!!!i'm really happy that she defeated the 4 DH women and got the award that she had deserved..also congrulations to lost and hugh laurie
Glad Lost got what it rightfully deserved. It doesn't matter to me that no actors/actresses were recognized beacuse I see it as more of a team effort.
I'm happy for all the winners specially Lost and Desperate Housewives! Too bad they didn't win in their individual acting categories...