The 8 Best Things That Happened at Comic-Con

Comic-Con has come and gone, but it will live in our hearts and on TV.com forever. Seriously, you can find all of our coverage right here for the rest of time or until your eyes go blurry and you're forced to take a nap. But if you don't have time for that or you just want to know what the biggest, bestest, most exciting things to happen over the weekend were, we've got you covered there too. These are the eight coolest things that happened at this year's Con:

8. AMC's Into the Badlands trailer debuts

Comic-Con may be dominated by established franchises and rebooted hits, but every year a sneaky newcomer comes along with something original, and Into the Badlands may be it. We barely even remember AMC ordering this to series (six episodes coming later this year), and that may be a boon for this under-the-radar drama. Set in a fictional universe that prefers swords and knuckles to guns, Into the Badlands looks like the martial-arts drama we didn't realize we needed so badly. Badass Hong Kong action star Daniel Wu does his thing, and Marton Csokas absolutely devours dialogue as one of the series' nasty villains. But the coolest part? The backbend by Emily Beecham's the Widow that's turned into a double-puncture stabbing with dual-wielded daggers.

7. The Shannara Chronicles pleasantly surprises by lookin' freakin' cool

We don't know where MTV is getting the money for this adaptation of Terry Brooks' fantasy series, but we don't even care. The trailer so far exceeded our expectations that we're already setting a DVR recording for it.

6. Joss Whedon explains the meaning of life, the universe, and everything

Joss Whedon's annual solo panel moved to Hall H this year, where he received the SDCC Icon Award and an emotional standing ovation. He also blessed us with the meaning of life during the fan Q&A portion of the panel. "You think I’m not going to, but I’m going to answer that," he said. "The world is a random and meaningless, terrifying place and then we all—spoiler alert—die. Most critters are designed not to know that. We are designed, uniquely, to transcend that, and to understand that—I can quote myself—'A thing isn’t beautiful because it lasts.'" Whedon also stopped by Nerd HQ to drop more truths and knowledge bombs (he's a big fan of iZombie!), and you can watch that full panel here.

5. Alan Tudyk's Con Man webseries takes over Hall H

Essentially a dream come true, Con Man's trailer is a parade of familiar faces from beloved TV shows, including Tudyk, Nathan Fillion, Tricia Helfer, Joss Whedon, Seth Green, Felicia Day, and others. And the web series' panel, which was held in Hall H—the first web series panel to EVER be held in Comic-Con's largest room, by the way—was just as exciting as you'd expect from a lineup like that. And as an added bonus, Tudyk came out in costume as Firefly's Wash (R.I.P.) and we'll never turn down a Firefly reference at Comic-Con.

4. Hannibal previews the Red Dragon

My body is ready.

3. Bryan Cranston's sick burrrrrrrrrrrn

When a fan asked what he thought of Albuquerque during a Nerd HQ panel, the Malcolm in the Middle star broke bad for absolutely no reason other than he can absolutely destroy other people and get away with it. That's what teaching chemistry to a bunch of ungrateful students will do to you, I guess.

2. Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars

Look, we're not animals or robots here at TV.com! We like things outside the world of TV and our feelings are out of control after the Star Wars panel at Comic-Con. Between the video that went behind-the-scenes of The Force Awakens to showcase what life was like on-set as everyone prepared to return to a galaxy far, far away, to the movie's panel—which saw original stars Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford stop by—and the surprise concert after for everyone who was lucky enough to be in Hall H, we're so ready for more Star Wars. Is it too soon to camp out at our nearest movie theater?

1. Groovy! Ash and the Evil Dead are back

Going into Comic-Con, the trailer for Starz's Ash vs. Evil Dead was what we were most looking forward to, and it was everything we hoped and prayed and dreamed it would be. Bringing back the original creative minds behind the films, as well as Bruce Campbell, means the series is already at the top of our Best New Shows of the Fall list. Having Lucy freakin' Lawless is just the cherry on top of this very groovy, very funny, very bloody cake. Is it Halloween yet?

What was your favorite moment from San Diego Comic-Con 2015?

Jul 25, 2015
Tyler Posey calling Tyler Hooechlin. Or better... Dylan O'brien's reaction :D
Jul 22, 2015
Stephen Amell in his new Arrow costume
Jul 15, 2015
I think I actually just got cancer from reading this. Purposefully leaving Batman v Superman off, I see. I wonder why...
Jul 15, 2015
These are all excellent. But, I would have added the candlelight tribute to Jared Padalecki's Always Keep Fighting Campaign that supports the To Write Love on Her Arms organization during the Supernatural panel.
Jul 15, 2015
"The world is a random and meaningless, terrifying place and then we all—spoiler alert—die. Most critters are designed not to know that. We are designed, uniquely, to transcend that, and to understand that.."

What is it, random and meaningless or are we uniquely designed to transcend lack of meaning. I love a lot of Joss's stuff but that is a lame statement. The fact that we seek meaning is evidence for meaning.
Jul 15, 2015
"The fact that we seek meaning is evidence for meaning."

So in essence, in a way, what you're saying is that Nothing isn't really nothing because in order to define nothing, we have to define it as something...& the very act of defining nothing as the lack of everything makes the very notion of "nothing" truly something, ultimately negating the existence of the the concept of nothing by virtue of the fact it exists as a concept in the first place. That about cover it?

I'd say the fact that we seek meaning is really only evidence that we have the ability to seek meaning...Seeking the address for a destination is not the same as evidence of ultimately arriving at a destination.
Jul 15, 2015
Sort of. I agree "Seeking the address for a destination is not the same as evidence of ultimately arriving at a destination". It is evidence that we think there is somewhere to go even if we're not quite sure where it is.

Still I think it's funny that he says " we are designed, uniquely, to transcend that, and to understand that". He is using concepts that imply meaning to say things are meaningless. We are apparently designed by nothing yet still create just to keep us busy so we don't have to ponder our purposeless existence. Doesn't make sense to me, Nobody lives that way.

Maybe I am just bitter about the blown opportunity and how he whiffed on the Serenity movie.
Jul 15, 2015
"It is evidence that we think there is somewhere to go even if we're not quite sure where it is."

Think about that for just a second...............Now, I gotta ask: How is thinking there's somewhere to go actual evidence of anywhere to go at all, no matter where anyone thinks it might be? Bottom line is, yours, mine, Joss's & everyone elses' life philosophy is ultimately just a big 'ol guess when you boil it all down. Nobody, no matter who they are can prove they really know what they're talking about.

Past that, why waste time on being bitter about Serenity? It's really just a waste of energy...I would have liked the flick to be better myself, but the fact a feature flick was made out of a cancelled series years later for the first time in history because of the fandom support is something to be proud of, not bitter about.

...besides, Whedon did warn in the DVD intro that the movie was made for the fans, so if the movie sucks, it's ultimately our fault ;)
Jul 15, 2015
Hmm I woulda thought that the fact human's have been seeking meaning for thousands of years and never found anything able to withstand rigorous scrutiny would indicate that (a) there is no meaning and (b) humans spend a lot of energy on purposeless 'make work' activities given half a chance.
Jul 15, 2015
I don't agree with your statement "never found anything able to withstand rigorous scrutiny". Many things have withstood this rigorous scrutiny and thrive today in human practice and experience. Have they been proved beyond doubt, no. Still they persist and for a reason I think.

Conceptualizing true meaninglessness like nothingness is impossible imo. It is foreign to the way we live, think and who we are. If life is truly meaningless we sure don't act like it, even people like Joss. That seems telling to me. If life was meaningless I don't thing we would have a concept of meaning, it wouldn't be necessary.
Jul 17, 2015
Joss doesn't sound overly nihilistic to me there, so I read it as more of a statement that yes, the world is an unfair and a terrible place that often makes no sense, but at the same time it's not bereft of relevance. Assumed or given to it by us.

We create our own meanings, even if we don't think much of them ourselves. Telling stories is one such a way to infuse our lives with something that offers significance. In the end, you don't really need to hold out hope for some bright future or greater sense of existence in order to keep going.
Jul 15, 2015
Don't be playing with semantics by equating meaningless with nothingness. The two words mean quite different things.
If any of the kazillion variations of 'meaning' humans dreamed up had been able to withstand rigorous scrutiny by an objective person rather than someone who had already bought into the spiel we would all accept the result just as we accept 1+1=2 or that gravity is a force whose power is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the distance between them.
I don't follow of the last sentence is as it seems to claim that the absence of meaning in one thing in this case life, cannot be so because that would cause nothing to have meaning?

Of course some things have meaning but it doesn't follow from that everything must have meaning - how could it?
See that is the typical humancentric stuff that had blokes burned at the stake for pointing out the earth circled the sun and wasn't the center of the universe.
We are what we are here and that is all there is - why should it have to mean anything?
Jul 14, 2015
Wow, Shannara was really a surprise. A fantasy series that uses its huge budget and amazing location shooting to showcase fantasy elements rather than shock us with rape scenes and beheadings? A breath of fresh air honestly. I too would question how the hell MTV was able to produce such a thing, but with Manu Bennett seemingly in a starring role, I'll just look right past it and dive in.
Jul 14, 2015
Shannara looks good and as epic as GOT.
Jul 14, 2015
This page alone proves how we're gona lose ourselves in joy over the next TV season. It will be epic! It will be epicest! It will be the epicest of the epic...
manu bennet!!
Jul 14, 2015
Yeah...the most obvious miss on the list is the Deadpool trailer...which won the internet technically and not comic-con i guess...
Staff
Jul 14, 2015
As a TV site we tried to keep the focus on TV. Plus, the Deadpool trailer wasn't officially released and we didn't want to embed the leaked videos from someone's iPhone.
XY
Jul 14, 2015
Bryan Cranston is the best.
Jul 14, 2015
Badlands...yes! Shannara Chronicles...yes! The stunning lack of ethnic diversity...no longer surprising.
Jul 14, 2015
Does the color of one's skin make them a better or worse actor?
Jul 14, 2015
Of course not. It also goes both ways. Though looking at the majority of programming, the only quality actors to be found are apparently white.

Law of averages says that (at worst) actor demographics should probably be about the same as the general population.

But we all know that's not how casting directors often work.
Jul 14, 2015
How do Reavers clean their harpoons?

they run them through the Wash.
Staff
Too soon. TOO SOON.
He's sleeping
Jul 14, 2015
Sorry, Joss Whedon. If the universe is meaningless, then the term "beauty" is also meaningless, and so is everything else.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. I still love your TV shows.
Jul 14, 2015
Into the Badlands looks interesting, and The Shannara Chronicles looks freaking amazing.
Jul 14, 2015
Al Cough, Miles Miler, Jon Favreau, John Ryhs-Davis and a Shannara series... Count me in. I read some of the books but apparently not the same part as the show.
Or maybe the show is in the world of Shannara but with new stories?
Jul 14, 2015
Into the Badlands looks fantastic. How have I not heard about it before now!?
Jul 14, 2015
So so so SO thrilled that Bruce Campbell is going to be back as Ash!! Ohhhh man, I can't believe it. This is awesome.
Jul 14, 2015
Bruce Campbell in anything usually works for me!
Jul 14, 2015
Maybe I've just become too jaded, but Into the Badlands looked somewhat underwhelming to me. The premise isn't horrible, but not exactly new and exciting either. The action looks interesting, but nowhere near as exciting as it does from shows like Banshee. I'll definitely give it a shot, especially for a new AMC series, but my expectations are rather low at this point.
Jul 14, 2015
I was giving you a break because this is a TV-focused site so you had to look at your particular world. But you can't include Star Wars as a 'best of' entry as the second-top choice, doubly so when neither it nor you connected it to its little-watched but fantastic animated TV series!

I can give you Ash Vs. Evil Dead being the big thing, it really looks fantastic, but once you open the Star Wars door to this kind of list, you also open it to:
- the Deadpool movie panel and trailer,
- Hot Toys' 1:6-scale Millennium Falcon cockpit and TIE Fighter,
- Bruce Timm announcing his next animated film is The Killing Joke,
- Conan O'Brien's nightly live broadcasts from the convention, complete with Funko exclusive Conan figures (a thing that, I might add, HAPPENED ON TV),
- Bill Murray's SDCC debut,
- Congressman John Lewis' cosplaying as himself 50+ years prior during the civil rights march on Selma to celebrate his graphic novel "March",
- Zack Snyder showing up in the new movie's Batmobile (the movie might suck, but that's a hell of an entrance),
- Hasbro's 18-inch-tall combining Transformer, Devastator,

... and more. Get it together! Shop smart, shop S-tarz.
Jul 20, 2015
The Killing Joke animation is on the way? Huh, that might prove to be at least a little controversial. But I'm sure Bruce Timm & Co. will give the story their own personal touch.

I've lost some faith in DC's animated endeavors after the two rebooted Justice League movies turned out to be total bores (that silly new continuity), but they generally maintain a decent level of consistency when it comes to their favorite and overused Batman (regardless of how one might feel about his "super powered" son). Plus the latest JL, Gods and Monsters, was a much needed breath of fresh air.
Jul 20, 2015
I find that DC Animated gets it right more often than not, but they still have an iffy track record and I'm never all-in with them. I loathed their Batman Year One that everybody else claims to adore though.
Staff
Jul 14, 2015
I'm standing by the decision to include Star Wars and only Star Wars because it's freakin' Star Wars. And also because this isn't the list of the 25 best things at Comic-Con.
Jul 14, 2015
First off, weak. You know what else was "freakin' Star Wars"? The prequels. Star Wars is no longer bulletproof.

Second, ok, but my point is that there's a lot of things that should make this list ahead of the choices you included, neener neener, my opinion is different from yours.
Jul 14, 2015
There's Going to be a Killing Joke thing happening?

Le Squee!
Jul 14, 2015
Wow, The Shannara Chronicles actually looks good. It will be the first show I check out on MTV in a couple decades.
Jul 14, 2015
You should checkout Teen Wolf, it's pretty darn fun, especially if you enjoyed similarly themed shows about teens, wolves, and other assortments of monsters and nefarious plots. Also, along those lines, there was the one season of Death Valley, a mockumentary following police that fought vampires, werewolves and zombies on the job, and introduced the masses to the impeccably gorgeous Caity Lotz who's now on Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow.
Jul 14, 2015
Shannara Chronicles as in that series that began with the positively dreadful Shannara trilogy where each book's plot was an exact copy of The Fellowship of the Ring except that they absolutely sucked, that allegedly eventually got better in later books?
Jul 14, 2015
People also say the same thing about The Wheel of Time book series.
Jul 14, 2015
Certainly the Eye of the World was similar to Fellowship but it was also high quality, and The Great Hunt onwards were completely different but I take your point.
Jul 14, 2015
Pumped to see The Shannara Chronicles. I have read the books and they are great. Didn't even know they were planning on making this. Only worried about it being on MTV meaning it might be too "teeny bop." The trailer looks amazing though.
Jul 13, 2015
I'd seriously put the Dubsmash war between Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD on #1, but I guess that's personal XD
Jul 16, 2015
Oh crap, then this happened:

Hahahaha. Guess Agent Carter won after all (BUT, SHIELD did definitely win the SDCC dubsmash battle). For now.
Jul 16, 2015
I meant these two links, this article isn't totally clear on the winning dubsmash :P

Staff
Jul 13, 2015
That was awesome. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. totally won that war.
Jul 14, 2015
You mean Clark Gregg as Agent Carter won that war.
Clark Gregg just wins
Jul 16, 2015
Clark Gregg's tha maaan!

(but seriously, totally seriously, both of these casts are just awesome 8) ).
Jul 13, 2015
The world is a random and meaningless place. Spoken like a true existentialist. If you read Jean Paul Sartre (Nausea) you get inspired for life. More people should read the Western philosophers. Good stuff. You saw that guy in that "in Joss we trust" shirt? Worshipers will worship. I don't have the shirt but i got Buffy, Firefly and Dollhouse on DVD. Does that count? Everybody worships in their own way i guess.

And because Kaitlin wasn't there this year, Walton Goggins was. He spend some time in South Carolina and there was that thing with the confederate flag. He called it extraordinary. The Charleston shooting was awful and all but why people have to die first to remove a flag?It's about f**king time they removed that thing. The American civil war ended 150 years ago. Sigh. In a national survey 75% of Southern whites described the flag as a symbol of pride, while 75% of Southern blacks said the flag represented racism. So what is it?
There is still a lot of work to be done ....
We didn't learn much about Tarantino's new movie only that Ennio Morricone (age 86) is going to compose the music. I can feel some once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-vibes coming on...

And i always enjoy watching the pictures of the cos players doing their thing. Peace on earth and all that...
Staff
Jul 13, 2015
This confirms my suspicion that Walton Goggins is just avoiding me now.
He's probably gay.
Jul 14, 2015
Or playing hard to get? Maybe he likes a girl who's up for a challenge?!?!
Jul 13, 2015
Not really a spoiler for those of us familiar with The Hannibal Lectuer universe but with the show ending. Was this a preview of the next bad guy to take us to the end of the series? I heard a movie was coming based on the tv series as well.
Jul 13, 2015
The king of all things groovy certainly looks the best - if it can sustain the basic premise of quips, slashes and, well, more quips.
Shannara could be good and MTV obviously saved a bunch of loot by shooting in Kiwi land *cough out tax break y'all*. But I fear it may drift into syfy's realm of overcompensating with CGI and ham acting. That is, LOTS of ham and ZX81 graphics.
Into the Badlands looks a bit foppishly camp to be taken anywhere near serious. Vehicles but no guns? Do they at least have drive-bys with death stars? Utter madness.
I await Star Wars with trepidation and remind myself that one of the last three killed Samuel L Jackson and was rather freaking good.
Web series? Most are cack so we'll see. But I feel compelled to channel Whedon and say; just because a thing has a myriad of well known actors, doesn't make it good.
Hannibal? Not watching that trailer as I'm currently viewing it for any surprises it decides to plate up. La, La, La!
Jul 13, 2015
For me DC ruled them all with sick new Batman v Superman and (leaked) Suicide Squad trailers!! Jared Leto's joker looks freaking scary!
Jul 13, 2015
Into the Badlands looks interesting. I have probably seen an Martial Arts style movie like that before. But this is a show, it has an obvious high production value and the fight coordination looks amazing.

Shannara I remember reading them when I was 6 or 7. I enjoyed the story and the characters. It isn't quite LOTR but what is, and really after the whole prequel thing, even LOTR isn't LOTR anymore. But I would watch Shannara to see what they do with it. The visuals look amazing, it looks like you can finally drive through Seattle without traffic, so even just to see that would be astonishing.

Hannibal, it is over, it is dead, this season hasn't lived up to the last. Eh

Ash vs the Evil Dead, looks like it is going to be amazing. I really can't wait. One of my absolute favorite series of movies.
Jul 13, 2015
Yeah. Comic Con flooded Youtube with trailers... And weirdly, Ash vs. The Evil Dead is the one I'm most excited about. And I'm not even a big fan. I still haven't seen Army of Darkness. I have seen the first two movies and I loved them. I even liked the reboot-that-was-not-actually-a-reboot-but-a-continuation even though it was pretty unoriginal.

Evil Dead all the way!
Ohhh man you MUST see Army of Darkness. Like right away!! :D
Jul 13, 2015
Everyone i know is raving about the new Superman vs Batman trailer saying how this is the best thing to ever happen at comic con....well those mother fuckers are missing out on a series about someone who makes superman and batman look like a bunch of school girls. Ash vs Evil dead is my most anticipated show after Fargo(also featuring Bruce Campbell). Hail to the KING Baby!
Jul 13, 2015
Wow. Evil dead tops my list (hail to the king, baby) but everythings looks at least very good. Even a show adapted from a lazy Tolkien clone by MTV doesn't look half bad. Sounds like I'll have a whole lot more of tv watching to do come fall.
Jul 13, 2015
I'm really excited about Ash vs The evil Dead (Groovy!) And Con nan.
Jul 13, 2015
Wow, it might be that mtv just pulled the next game of thrones?
Jul 14, 2015
GoT probably is the reason why thy put the money in it. The book series is more like 'Lord of the Rings' though. I do hope they will pull it off, though my hopes aren't up that high. I have the first book of the series at home, I should read it once. But I also have the first book of GoT at home and never had read it before the series started :-).
Jul 14, 2015
Do you think that Lord of the Rings could come to tv at some point too? Maybe still too soon? They probably chose Shannara instead for that reason. Plus i understand they are basing this in book 2 cause it has more teenagers, and this is MTV :-)
Jul 14, 2015
Yes, I guessed it is aimed at kids. The main characters are grwoing up teenagers. Usually a category I do not relate too as even my kids are adults (yes, I am old :-)).

No, I do not think any tv/cable company will try to make LoTR into a television series as the costs of making it anything comparable to what Peter Jackson are too high. If it's not comparable, tv viewers will be disappointed. So, until the films are outdated, there will be no tv series.
Jul 14, 2015
@ElisaDiaz Oh, I will watch it and I do hope to enjoy it. I sometimes might find their judgement lacking. On the other hand, it is written by and televised by adults, so who know what will happen.
Jul 14, 2015
They won't be updated any time soon!

I can connect to female characters my age a lot better, obviously, but idon't have problems with the rest of fiction as long as i enjoy the stories.
Jul 13, 2015
Thanks @thekaitlin. I will probably watch all of them (the series and the one off videos). Although I'm not a horror fan at all, Ash seems fun so I might take a peek.

To be honedst, I'm most excited about Con Man. I've followed it since the first moment it got on Indiegogo. As a small time con runner, there will be so much to enjoy.
Jul 13, 2015
For us foreigners, this is the ' Into the Badlands' trailer.

you're a hero.
Thank you.
Jul 13, 2015
The Shannara Chronicles looks awesome! Can't wait!!!
Jul 13, 2015
Aside of anything Amy Acker, Lucy Lawless' Xena movie shout out was a personal highlight! Get it done TPTB!
Jul 13, 2015
I just got memories of Xena's battle cry.