The CW Eyes More iZombie and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend... What About The 100 and Legends of Tomorrow?

The CW is hoping to capitalize on the forward momentum it created last season with the strong debuts of Jane the Virgin and The Flash, and it looks like the network feels confident its upcoming slate will continue to elevate its status as a purveyor of quality programming. But how confident is it? On Monday, the network ordered five additional back-up scripts for its beloved series iZombie and incoming freshman comedy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, according to Deadline

Scheduled to debut its second season on Tuesday, October 6 after The FlashiZombie stars Rose McIver as a medical-student-turned-zombie who works in a morgue and helps solve murder cases by using the flashes of memories she receives from the deceased after ingesting their brains to retain her humanity. The show's freshman season, which also stars Robert Buckley, Rahul Kohli, David Anders, Malcolm Goodwin, and Aly Michalka, was well-received by fans and critics, earning the series an initial 13-episode Season 2 renewal last spring.

Meanwhile, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which debuts Monday, October 12 at 8pm ahead of the second season of Jane the Virgin, stars Rachel Bloom as a lawyer who packs up her stressful but successful life in Manhattan to move to West Covina, California on a whim to chase after an old boyfriend and a chance at real happiness. The series was originally developed as a half-hour comedy for Showtime but made the transition to an hour-long program after The CW picked it up to series.

Now, here's the tricky part: The CW currently only airs 10 hours of new programming a week, 8-10pm Monday through Friday. If these additional scripts should eventually turn into full-season orders of 22 episodes for both series, where does that leave the three midseason dramas waiting in the wings?

The network renewed the critically acclaimed drama The 100 for a third season last spring, and many assumed the post-apocalyptic series would take over the time period vacated by iZombie after it wrapped up its 13-episode order. But there was always an option to be picked up for 22 episodes and iZombie creator Rob Thomas told the Hollywood Reporter on Monday that he's been writing this season with that in mind. "If we only get 13 episodes, we are going to be in big trouble," said Thomas. "I'm structuring this season like we're doing 22. If we don't get a back-nine order and end up only doing 13, it will just feel like the water cut off midstream." Meanwhile, the show's executive producer Diane Ruggiero-Wright said "it was never an option to plan for a straight 13."

But The 100 isn't the only series the network has on deck. The CW also has new contagion drama Containment from Vampire Diaries and Originals EP Julie Plec and the Arrow/The Flash spin-off DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Assuming The 100 gets top billing based on proven critical reception, where does that leave them? This fall, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will take over The Originals' old Monday time period as it is now paired with TVD on Thursday evenings, which has pushed period drama Reign to Fridays where it's paired with America's Next Top Model. Will one of the new projects eventually slide into the open Top Model time period once it wraps up its current cycle? Will The CW consider expanding to include Sunday programming again, which was eliminated in 2009 thus giving the airwaves back to local affiliates? Or will the network take a cue from ABC and attempt to use Legends of Tomorrow to bridge an extra-long hiatus for either The Flash or Arrow, even though that series builds off the events of both programs and should stand as its own full-fledged adventure? Of course, there's also the option the network will simply feature fewer repeats and shorter hiatuses during the season thus opening up the schedule for a late spring debut. Still, it's also possible the network saves one or both series for summer.

The CW President Mark Pedowitz has been very vocal about his desire to expand the network's slate of original summer programming. It currently has an okay foundation with super-popular-oversees-drama Beauty and the Beast, which has already been renewed for Season 4, but it has found little success in its many attempts to schedule programming around it. Could either Containment or Legends of Tomorrow be pushed to summer to further help solidify the schedule?

No matter what The CW decides to do should the additional script orders for iZombie and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend translate into back-nine episode orders, one thing is pretty clear: The CW currently has more quality programs than it almost knows what to do with, and that's a very good problem to have.

Nov 18, 2015
Please can someone tell me when to set my DVR. THE 100!! When will it air season 3 on The CW?
Oct 23, 2015
So much for that confidence... accord to the TV Grim Reaper (formerly the Cancellation Bear):

"Even within the kiddie pool that is CW ratings, the premiere ratings for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend mark it as “likely to be canceled”."
Oct 16, 2015
Quality trumps quantity anytime.

Despite what Rob Thomas says, just look at an example like Sleepy Hollow:
Season 1 = 13 eps - tight storytelling
Season 2 = 18 eps - bloated & draggy

iZombie's sophomore season has started so brilliantly - can this crackling pace be sustained over 22 episodes?
Oct 08, 2015
Has anyone at CW or DC considered a DC Network? They could do many more DC Comic shows...Just imagine a network where you can see Arrow, Flash, Legends, Gotham, Supergirl and maybe others!!
Oct 08, 2015
Even Smallville reruns!
Oct 23, 2015
And AC/DC music videos!
Oct 07, 2015
If I have to wait until next summer to watch season 3 of The 100, I'm gunna be so pissed...
Next top model is fucking lame, it may have been a novel idea for a lil while, but it's overstayed its welcome and should have ended a long time ago.. I honestly can't believe it's survived this long..
Crazy Ex-GF sounds pretty stupid to me, and I'm sorry Jane lovers, but I didn't really care for that melodrama either. Jane the Virgin isn't a terrible show by any means, I just didn't really care for it.
IZombie is great however, and I'd be happy with as many episodes as they can produce. They just also need to find a spot for The 100.
I fear for Reign's move to Fridays, cuz a lot of people won't watch it live for obvious reasons.. So I hope they pay close attention to internet and dvr viewing of the show.
Very interested to see an Elena-less TVD, and I looove The Originals & Supernatural (though I admit its quality isn't what it once was...fingers crossed for season 11!)
Contagion might be cool, but again, not if it means pushing off The 100..

Oct 23, 2015
You shouldn't have to wait. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend debuted to abysmal ratings (even by CW standards), and a major TV ratings site has predicted it as likely to be canceled.
Oct 23, 2015
Niceee
Oct 23, 2015
So that would bump it up to mid-season right? Most likely, anyways...
Oct 07, 2015
Cancel Am Nxt Top Model and Never air stupid Crazy Ex girlfriend. I watch everything else. There problem solved.
Oct 06, 2015
I would love it if all networks listened and only did 13 episode seasons. Tight story lines, better character building, easier-to-follow seasons that were able to pull the audiences these networks want in. It's much easier to follow a 13 episode season and reel in new or broader audiences because they don't have to slug through 22 episodes or more and get bored or lost part way through it.
Oct 06, 2015
CW is doing amazing these last few years. Arrow, The 100, Flash, The Originals. All amazing shows, and last years newcomers (IZombie & Jane) have really put the CW on the map. Sounds like they have alot to figure out and alot of prioritizing to do, but as long as The 100 gets its due I'll be happy
Oct 06, 2015
Does anyone want 22 eps in a season? The shorter (10-13) are more palatable (for me.) It seems that shows with 22 eps end up with a lot of filler that dilutes the series.
Oct 06, 2015
It depends on the show. If it's episodic then the longer format tends to work better, but if it's serialized then the shorter format works better. And even a serialized show can have filler. It all depends on what else is on when the shorter-run show isn't.
Oct 06, 2015
While I agree a series is easier to follow if you have a 13 episode season (Or even 18. Sleepy Hollow has a nice balance with 18.Nothing feels rushed, but each episode adds to the story.), I find that if it's a show with great characters, I don't mind watching the filler episodes. Sometimes it's just about watching these characters you enjoy so much getting into/out of situations. It doesn't always have to be a heavy story filled episode.

Hope everything's easy to understand. For some reason, my brain is having a hard time forming a coherant thought, today.
*coherent*

Totally thought I fixed that typo... Guess not...
Oct 06, 2015
I LOVE iZombie - but it really does not need a full season
Why ruin something that is already working? these networks never learn
Dear networks,

Just to let you in on a secret you should always be aware of, less is more. Taking a 10 episode season and stretching it to 15 very rarely makes things better. It just waters down what was probably a solid story.

Just stop, please.
Oct 06, 2015
I was just wondering about The 100 this morning. I had assumed it would return this week and then realized I hadn't seen any mention of it and got worried! I love that show. Can't wait till it's back...
Oct 06, 2015
"The series [Crazy Ex-Girlfriend] was originally developed as a half-hour comedy for Showtime but made the transition to an hour-long program after The CW picked it up to series."

So weird. So, so weird.
Oct 06, 2015
As iZombie is the only of these shows I care about, I find the news good.
Oct 06, 2015
People think about this stuff?
Staff
Oct 06, 2015
Well, I do. It's my job. But I think if people really like a show, then yeah, they're going to be concerned about when it comes back.
Oct 06, 2015
I'm not sure if moving Legends of Tomorrow to Summer is possible. It's supposed to be integrated with Arrow and The Flash. Maybe less reruns, and air the reruns online to generate extra revenue? Their reruns don't do as well, and shifting shows online or re-airing reruns on weekends might generate more revenue.
Oct 06, 2015
if they really want summer programming to be a thing then they should probably put legends of tomorrow in the summer. IDK if i agree with them going after summer programming so hard, but network summer programming has always struggled so they need to put something that has a built in fan base and is extremely buzzy and can tell their viewers that the cw has amazing programming year round. unfortunately beauty and the beast isn't going to convey that. I could actually totally see a legends of tomorrow at 8pm and the 100 at 9pm block working well for them. maybe on wednesdays?
Oct 06, 2015
Question to the tv.com admins. Can CW air shows at 10pm like the other major networks (CBS,ABC etc.) ? if they can,then they didn't do it because they didn't have enough shows?
Staff
Oct 06, 2015
Good question! The short, uncomplicated answer is that The CW cannot air shows in the 10pm hour. Here's why: The network, which formed when The WB (owned by Time Warner and the Tribune Company) merged with UPN (owned by CBS), doesn't own and operate their own stations in every market. Instead they have agreements with affiliate stations to air their programming, so that 10pm hour is dedicated to local programming for that station's market. It's usually the news hour. Hope that clears things up a bit!
I love Reign! Losing interest in Arrow tho. :(
Oct 05, 2015
so very looking forward to izombie and 13 episodes hardly put a dent in my hunger for the show last season, but can we talk about Liv's wardrobe change? at least I don't remember their dressing her like a goof (denim skirts!) last season. all so that no one ogles her ass presumably?

as for what happens to the mid-season shows...I for one don't care. I gave the 100 a fair shake but had to give up early on in season 2. and legends of tomorrow I'd rather see not get aired at all.
Oct 05, 2015
Speaking of the 100 when is it coming back I've been binge watching the entire series and I'm running out of episodes.
Oct 05, 2015
"I'm structuring this season like we're doing 22."

Rob, what have you done? Some of the best TV happens in 13-episode seasons.
Oct 05, 2015
and good writers should be good regardless.
Oct 06, 2015
Absolutely. Because we all know that you can write a research paper in college without knowing how long it should be before hand. And speechwriters can write speeches before they are told how many minutes it should be. Here's your sign.
Oct 06, 2015
I was responding to the fact that you mention the length of seasons in general, not that he doesn't know ahead of time what the length will be.
Oct 06, 2015
Are you saying that the length of a season should not matter to writers, if they are good at their jobs? That for talented writers it's all the same whether the episode order is 13 or 22, because they should be able to write equally high-quality material for both season lengths?
Oct 05, 2015
Why don't they just open up their new programming slot from 8-10 to 7-10? They could also stand to put some new shows on Sunday. Fans will watch their favorite show regardless of where you put it, the proof of that is Supernatural; we all still watched it even when it got booted to Fridays and they were forced to move it to earlier in the week.
Oct 06, 2015
It probably has to do with the complicated mixture of agreements with local channels, left over from the WB and the UPN, the predecessors of the CW.
The CW is a 50-50 partnership between CBS and Warner. It took over the WB and the UPN [United Paramount Network].

The CW doesn't have its own owned-and-operated stations in every market...so it has agreements with affiliate channels, to air their programming in those areas.
Oct 06, 2015
Supernatural, btw, is the only show still in production that was one of the WB shows.
Which makes me happy, since I love Supernatural.
Oct 05, 2015
kind of a bad idea to plan out 22 episodes if you haven't been given a 22 episode order... they could easily do multiple 22 episodes a series for more than one in a timeslot if they just stop taking so many breaks with shows and then just air them a little past May.
Oct 06, 2015
Shows do this all the time though. For new shows, pilots that are picked up are only rarely picked up for full season orders from the beginning (last year the Michael J Fox show was, but as we know from that it doesn't always mean the show is safe). They are usually given 8-13 episode orders. If a show is given an 8 or 9 episode order the next step is the network ordering more scripts and/or shows (more scripts just means they're interested in reading where the show would go if it were to stay on the air before making an official decision on an episode order) usually at that point for 4-5 more (to get to a total 13 episode order). Depending on critical acclaim and most importantly ratings networks will hand out what is known as the back 9 to bring the grand total to a full 22 episode season. Or, they won't and the show is likely DOA at the 13 episode mark (unless it was always going to be a 13-episode series). So, most new shows have the entire 22 episode season planned out (not always written) because they want to prove to the network they have tons of ideas and clear direction for a whole season should they receive it. I'm guessing Rob Thomas did this with iZombie, even though it's going into its sophomore year, knowing it was such a hit the CW would be very apt to extend the order if they had a solid 22 episodes planned. With so many shows on deck for the mid-season iZombie would likely not have gotten more episode orders if it wasn't such a popular show and if RT hadn't already planned a season that not only could support it but that demanded it from a story POV. Netowrk, promgramming, and the like are all confusing but in this case it makes sense that RT had 22 episodes in mind, because at the end of the day he's likely to get them.
More +
Oct 06, 2015
using a comedy to base it on kind of defeats the purpose though since they're not serialized and even when they are, it's very loose. when it's a serialized show like iZombie, they shouldn't map out 22 episodes unless they have an order for it. at the end of 13 they should have some sort of an ending and if they get more ordered, resume the storyline from that. Networks are too reliant on outdated ratings systems and so they will cancel a show even if it's somewhat popular with the public (unless the ratings "prove" it) so when they try too hard to map out a continuous storyline it usually backfires. some sort of ending is better than none.
Oct 07, 2015
Won't let me reply below but yes I agree 100% Relying on a full 22 episode pickup when it's not guaranteed is sloppy at best. Having direction and material for 22 episodes when it's not certain is different. I think we're agreeing it just took writing some short novels to realize :-)
Oct 06, 2015
Other serialized shows do this too so my example could've been better. I agree that networks rely on an outdated ratings system and this is something that truly needs to change sooner rather than later. Most shows do midseason finales and plan for it, so Rob Thomas could've easily planned for that and if they didn't get more episodes at least there would be some form of concussion to pick up next season so he definitely had more options in that regard.
Oct 07, 2015
I re-read my comment and I realized they could map it out, but shouldn't totally rely on it unless they do get more. the way it was talked about in the article just made it sound like it's 100% going to happen in his opinion but it might not be, so doing it with definitely in mind isn't the best idea. If he's got a good enough end that can be picked up easily for more episodes or just serve as a full on season finale then that's fine. They can have planning for storylines if they get that many but definitely mapping it out for 22 when you haven't been given a 22 episode order is kind of asking for it.
Oct 05, 2015
They should have original programming on Sundays if they have too many shows. Hell, even if they put some new programming on Saturdays they'd get ratings considering everything else is a rerun.
Oct 05, 2015
When did the CW become such a haven for excellent TV and at worst at least mild entertainment. All those shows are 'good' in their own right.
Legends of Tomorrow cannot be pushed back because the Arrow and Flash have already begun filming crossovers with the relevant characters.
They better not fuck with the 100 which is my most eagerly awaited show,,,Already killing me to wait the extra 4 months,
Personally they should push Izombie back or keep it as 13 episodes which i thought worked in its favor. Of all the shows it is the least Arc heavy requiring a full 22 although i could be wrong depending on what they bring in this season..I just don't see how the Izombie format (Especially the case of the week procedural with Clive) can stretch over 22 episodes.
I vote Reign and Crazy ex girlsfriends to die.
Oct 05, 2015
iZombie still has higher ratings and ad rate than the 100. Ad rates: Flash 68k,Arrow 48k,TVD44k,TO32k,Supernatural 35k, iZombie 34k,The100 27k,JTV 25k,Reign 19k.
interesting, thanks!
Oct 05, 2015
Legends with Flash and Arrow is superhero overkill. I would think they could push Legends to summer, or late spring - April or so, and continue to promote it through Flash and Arrow. In some way that could be a seamless transition from the end of Flash and Arrow seasons into the Legends season for those hungry for more heroics and finally getting to see the show on the air.
Oct 05, 2015
Considering Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will probably last about a month, I don't think The 100 has anything to worry about.
Oct 05, 2015
Cancel Reign it never shoud have made it this far.
Oct 05, 2015
Reign is was actually good in s1, just barely decent in s2. CW just needs to get back on Sundays and stop trying to avoid it
Oct 05, 2015
I've seen parts of Reign season 1 and in my opinion its not horrible especailly compared to shows like 90210 and starcrossed. But its not good and I'd rather watch nothing than Reign.
Oct 05, 2015
batB got s4 with even worse ratings, so will Reign.Czw tries to get Thier lowest rated shows to four seasons & 70 ish episodes and they'll do it with Reign too.Pkus Czw has said they don't want all genre shows and CW/Netflix deal requires four season oh and the fact Reign is a cheap Cadain co production cheaper Thier other scripted dramas other than BatB is in its favor too,Reign has made it this far do get over it.
Oct 05, 2015
LOVE iZombie, PLEASE give us more.

Oct 05, 2015
Even as a fan of The 100,I really don't think you can assume it will get top billing because of critical acclaim. Given the acclaim and ratings Arrow and The Flash get, it's obvious that Legends of Tomorrow will get top billing of the mid-season shows. There's no way they put a show with that ratings potential and that already has buzz about it into a Summer slot.
Oct 05, 2015
it's kinda hard to imagine that The CW as helmed by Pedowitz was The CW as helmed by Dawn Ostroff just 4 years ago...
Oct 05, 2015
From what I sort of understand, I think Legends is likely to get pushed to the summer just because I think they are feeling a good 13 episodes out of that one (and to be the hiatus show like ABC, its usually has to be 8) and they just started filming recently and it actually sounds more like the cross over bits than anything else and there would seem to be a lot of effects on the show. And, well, Reign is on its last legs so if there is an under performer on the current schedule, that ends in like eight weeks. I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that the Originals is on a bit of a probationary period (and they are probably holding their breath as a network with The Vampire Diaries)
Oct 05, 2015
They won't air a show in summer that has a potential to get Flash-like ratings. That would be dumb on their part.
Oct 05, 2015
I don't think this really has that potential. It's filled with 3rd-rate stringer characters like Atom and Mr. Cold from Arrow and Flash that no one really cared about in the first place.
Oct 06, 2015
That's from a comic book fan perspective. Remember casual viewers are bigger in numbers and that they'll try to appeal to them more than the vocal minority.
Oct 11, 2015
&That;'s from a comic book fan perspective.

Actually I don't read DC comics; it was just from a "I watch Flash and Arrow and read the comments in the recaps here" perspective. :-) People seemed to think the Atom character felt forced/contrived to make a spin-off and Captain Cold wasn't much more than a villain-of-the-week without much backstory or motivation who had a few recurring appearances.

Contrast this, with, say, Felicity on Arrow before she became a regular.
Oct 05, 2015
Legrnds is also Hobestly Caws only chance at a ratings hit show this season so it won't air in summer
Oct 05, 2015
Legrnds is too high profile,too hyped/antipicapted & too expensive for summe p,us as you said it has 13-15/1506 episodes, it'll air in midseason..If anything Reign & The 100 move to summer.
Oct 05, 2015
Better to have an embarrassment of riches than the alternative. I can see them holding The 100 until summer, with only 13 episodes and an established fan base. It's a bigger risk to try and establish a new show in the summer, unless the cost of the show has already been mitigated through other means. DC's Legends of Tomorrow could be the exception, since it's a spinoff of The Arrow / The Flash universe.
Oct 05, 2015
And the furious sounds of clicking, sliding, tapping, and typing were heard worldwide as people rushed to adjust their Deadpool picks.
Oct 05, 2015
Only problem is the last day the deadpool picks could be adjusted was Sep. 30.
Oct 05, 2015
As long as they keep their best show the 100, I'm happy.