The CW Renews All Its Superhero Shows -- but What's Still Missing?

The CW has renewed seven series for next season, the network announced Sunday ahead of its Television Critics Association winter TV previews.

All four of its superhero anchors -- Arrow (Season 6), DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3), The Flash (Season 3) and Supergirl (Season 3) -- will return for the 2017-18 season, as will the critically adored Jane the Virgin (Season 4) and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Season 3). And of course, Supernatural, the series that will never die, will be back for Season 13.

Check out all of TV Guide's Winter TCA coverage here!

"Over the past several seasons, The CW has built a schedule of proven performers, from our lineup of DC superheroes, to critically acclaimed comedies, to sci-fi dramas," Mark Pedowitz, The CW's president, said in a statement. "Early pickups of these seven series now allow our producers to plan ahead for next season, and gives us a solid base to build on for next season, with original scripted series to roll out all year long."

During his executive session Sunday morning, Pedowitz reiterated that he's happy to keep Supernatural around for as long as possible. "As long as it's performing and the boys want to do it and I'm sitting in this chair, this show has a long life," he said.

Still undecided are the fates of the network's freshmen series, No Tomorrow, Frequency and the upcoming Riverdale, and its midseason shows -- none of which have debuted yet -- The Originals, The 100 and iZombie.

Here's what the new CW schedule means for your new favorite shows

As previously announced, The Vampire Diaries and Reign are ending this year.

(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS, one of the parent companies of The CW.)

I'm so happy for Supernatural :)
Very happy to hear about Supernatural!! Love that show. But I do wish they branched out in a different way ... instead of it being about the 2 of them ONLY, maybe they can take on aspiring hunters and really train them. OR how about some long term LOVE interests? Maybe they can get married ... have kids ... I mean its been 12 years ... don't they want to settle down or something? The 'big bad' can be about balancing a healthy lifestyle where marriage and kids are in the mix. It would even be funny if Sam & Dean lived as neighbors so that they can go hunting at any time. Also no wimpy women as their spouses... badass women! OR they can start a hunters academy? I just want to see something that shows a different way of the life they've lived. The show actually leveled up to G-d's sister ... and thats after every single creation/mistake popped up ... i honestly don't know how they can level up from that. So an intern, or Wife, or Kid, or hunter school ... any one of those would make the show denser and maybe enrich the plot?
Basically it's a case of how the shows are doing relative to other shows on the network. No Tomorrow and Frequency haven't been performing well. And considering this is their first season it would make more sense for the network to drop them then to drag them along. But it all depends on how the unaired shows fare.

Even though Supernatural has been around for longer than the CW has, it's still getting enough viewership to keep it going. If anything causes it to end it will be the actors moving on to movie roles.
seriously enough already, end supernatural, and thats from a long time viewer
All Crap. Quit watching Arrow after season 3, Flash and DC Legends after s1.
Supergirl ...all boys and horny grandpaws like a sexy girl in mini skirt.
It's great that they're sticking with Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. These are different, quality programs that bring the network value beyond viewers. Good to see CW becoming reliably award-show bait!
Did they bring back Secret Circle yet....
Yes, Jane the Virgin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As long as the 100 gets renewed I'll be happy. That was the only show I was worried about I knew the the DC superheroes shows would be safe and I have a strong feeling that with the vampire diaries leaving the originals will be safe.
Seems logical about The Originals - hard to imagine CW surrendering all the vamps all at once, but I remain edgy about it. I wish they'd wrapped TVD last year and giving The Originals a full season this year!
Besides, isn't it likely that the Originals will get a season 5 for the coveted 100 episode count for syndication?
No.BatB had two full 22 episode seasons before two short seasons for s3&4.It ened with 70 episodes.Nikita& HoD had three full 22 episodes and HoD ened at 76 episodes and Nikita 73.Reign had two full 22 episodes before a 18 episode third season and a 16 episode fourth and final season and will end with 78 episodes.
Like I said shows are/can be syndicated at 88 episodes now not 100 episodes though more is better.But CW seems to care more about streaming( Netflix pays a premium for a shows past episodes if the show reaches s4)
1.88 is the new norm for syndication
2.CW has shows in s4 that didn't get s5 for 100 episodes-Nikita,BatB,Reign,HoD.
I don't know about most of those, but BatB was in a shorter season format to begin with, wasn't it? Are the others too? They weren't close to the 100 (or 80) episode mark.
The 100 and izombie are 2 ofthe best shows on cw and they are always treated horribly with scheduling and being renewed.
Hmm thats your opinion though, as for most people myself included they are the 2 shows i actually don't watch. Unfortunately most people are like me hence the ratings on the show that has already been renewed, Sometimes some really good shows have low ratings because they might not be promoted enough.
I'm happy to see Supernatural renewed, but at this point, they really need to either start some serious development on a spinoff, or start establishing an end game for the series. While I doubt they'll stop short of Season 15, I hope that is at least a benchmark they're willing to end on.
Well, they tried the spin off with bloodlines... That sucked big time.
I honestly have no idea how after so many seasons, with so many characters, stories, monsters, and assorted other lore, how they ever came up with that Bloodlines nonsense. They literally could have started completely from scratch, with no connections to the main series at all, and then at the last second of filming the pilot, have the brothers show up and say "Aha! It IS connected!" and been better off.
Well, in their defense they don't that many characters since they insist on killing them all the time (NOT JUST THE WOMEN!)

So it's not like they had much materials to work with. Frankly, I don't think the concept of a city full of monsters is so terrible, just their idiotic execution of it.

I mean I'm really trying to think hard of any random idiotic cliche that awful pilot didn't use
after a terrible half season - i simply cannot believe SPN gets to live on - WHY???? what more story could possibly be told??????

Jensen & Jared are fucking it over for wanting to continue on - why can't these two idiots move on??? (sorry, i love them two but come on, it's time to bury the show)

iZombie conspicuously absent from renewals - yeah, i understand season 3 has yet to air but still - it deserves a renewal more than SPN
Comparing to abysmal previous seasons, this half season was a masterpiece.
the God episodes of last season were the best the show had been since season 5 (minus that awful finale)

This season, no notably good episodes, no story, no direction, terribly written resurrection storyline for Mary and just downright awful
There IS a story, there IS a direction (it's not even changed!), yet Winchester's MILF is bad indeed. Still better, than that God vs Darkness vs Dude-from-Lost crap.
Please give a rundown of the story of season 12 so far - cause i really struggle to come up with one
Regarding Supernatural I couldn't disagree more.
What do you disagree on?

A good first half season (12)?
More story to tell??

I am sure you said Hannibal season 3 was shit yet you thin SPN still has life left in it? come on
I never heard anyone say Hannibal was a shit show, and it wasn't. It was just too out there for most people, but was very well written and acted. I watched several before I quit, and still thought it was a good show--just not in my wheelhouse. I like dark shit, just not that dark. Supernatural is like seeing an old friend each week, and I thought fixing God would end it, but it still delivers good scripts on a regular basis.
Murderboy and Klotensen

I am well aware Hannibal is a niche show - heck, i am very surprised i love it as much as i do, but my point was about Placebo and how he/she slated season 3 of Hannibal back when it aired so i already knew beforehand he/she was a fan of the show

and SPN isn't current airing episodes in it's 13th season - i think you made a typo Klotensen
also do you honestly believe the episodes they are putting out in it's 12th season is better than a lot of shows? i would've agree last season but the first half of the 12th season has been fucking SHIT - just as bad as season 7 and 8 (my two least favourite seasons of the show)
God I love Hannibal but I don't recommend it, and if I do, I'll give a proper warning: "be aware, this is the most fucked up show that will fuck your mind in a 1000 ways."
I can't count how many times I thought Supernatural was done and should be ended, but then it' surprises me by being still better in its 13th season than most shows in their first...
Agree completely.
I think its good that the show goes on although the fact that Jensen is hitting 40 in less than a year might be a problem
Hitting 40? Guess he'll just have to have a cane and keep his teeth in a glass by the bed--and say "Hey you damn kids, get the hell of my lawn!" a lot. Oh well...
I disagree on Supernatural not continuing, for me it still works, for me the brothers and others still have plenty of charm and fun with their roles, you know you can stop watching it right?

Never said it was shit, said it was a bit too much up its own arse in s3, always happy to praise and recommend Hannibal as superb television, even did so as recently as this week: http://www.tv.com/news/hugh-dancy-says-hannibal-season-4-could-work-in-five-years-14838277170090708/ and I certainly didn't want it to be cancelled, don't try to put words in my mouth.
Sorry but i wholeheartedly disagree - there is nothing about PSN that still works - repetitive storylines (especially ones that include Cas, Crowley and his annoying Jock Mother) very rarely good episodes, comedy not sticking, no direction, MotW episodes having no scares (unlike the awesome ones from earlier in the series), actors looking tired or phoning it in (Misha Collins being the main culprit), good ideas totally fucking ruined by deus ex machinas (that awesome string of episodes last season with God that ending with the biggest whimper since Dexter)
The show should end - and it's people like you who keep the show on air yet complained when LOST was on the air saying they are milking it (just an example, i am not suggesting you said that)

As for Hannibal - it is true season 3 became more arty - but the 2-part story of the season was more interesting than anything SPN could conjure up lately

Oh and talking about too much up it;'s own ass - the 200th episode of SPN is the epitome of that word :) thank you
I'm a firm believer that Supernatural should've ended a looooooong time ago, but my biggest gripe with the show is that it takes up precious CW programming hours that could be better spent on more deserving shows (e.g. iZombie, The 100, etc).

So, while I get the whole "you don't have to watch it" argument, the show merely existing on the network is actually a problem for some of us fans of other CW shows.
Awesome news. I watch Arrow, The Flash, Legends and Supergirl. Supergirl has gotten much better in season 2. I'm glad the show switched networks.
I'm glad that SUpergirl still feels more optimistic than the other superhero shows.
I like Supergirl's optimistic feel too. But season one was just too optimistic. It felt a little too G-rated for me. I like that they're getting more edgy with storylines. I also like the others shows just the way they are.
Great news! Now I just hope they renew The Originals as well.
The have to renew No Tomorrow and iZombie...PLEASE, PLEASE!

Throwing this out to all...Is anyone else besides me not seeing the list for the shows you follow? It's not been on my tv.com home page for 2 days!!!

iZombie is renewed already. On March 11, 2016, The CW renewed the series for a third season of 13 episodes, which is set to premiere on April 4, 2017.
Yay! Crazy ExGirlfried survived the Friday Death slot.

CW please renew No Tomorrow. I need this.
Yeah...... Soooo I only really care about iZombie! So just move it up the schedule and renew it. Thanks.
Uhhh GIF - Izombie Ravi Uh GIFs
Frequency is a tough type of show to do.

It can't keep on and on. This show has to resolved with a clear ending. For the sake of the story, I think that 2 seasons of this show would do the trick.

It would NOT make sense for this HAM radio connection across time to work for a long period of time.

But hey, let's face it, it shouldn't work at all to begin with! :)

Riverdale has yet to even air and it's fate is unconfirmed? I mean YEAH.. We don't know if it's good or if it sucks. Why should we expect Riverdale to be getting a second season, until we see it in action? That makes no sense.
I like Frequency, but I do think the storytelling is a little too slow.
It has to be slow, because it's obviously doing the movie over, and was definitely NOT a great idea for a 22 episode network TV show. It also has absolutely NO humor, and it's not twisty enough.
I loved the movie which the show comes from. The show is loosely inspired from it. It's not as good as the movie that's a fact. It's also not a show that I would care much if it got cancelled. But it would be nice if it resolved itself in a way which made sense, you know, a story with a proper end.

2016's best new shows have been Lethal Weapon, MacGyver and Timeless, although that one plays fast and loose with time travel logic, still, it's damn entertaining. :)
There is no "time travel logic," because it's impossible to begin with, and timeless is fun, just not nearly as good as Travelers or 12 Monkeys, and some other recent ones like Continuum.
It may be possible to do Frequency for more than one season so long as it does a different mystery that connects them. However, it is a tough show to watch keeping track of the back and forth who and what of the case.

Then there's Peyton List herself. Not sure I can take her almost complete lack of emotional range or expressions. She'd make a great robot in some show or movie. A better actress could have helped improve the show giving you a character to care more about.
That's the writing and directing, and her character will never be happy, and we all know it. So it's all about this Nightingale jerkoff, who is so very obviously one of the already established characters--it has to be, or the story doesn't work, because who cares, if he's not been on screen yet? He could be the freakin' milkman, and how dull would that be?
Partly due to the show's creative team, but it's mostly her lacking emotional expression. She was the same on Tomorrow People - and most everything I've seen her in. I don't think she could do a comedy to save her life. The closest she came on this show was when she had a tear in her eye in a recent episode and when she laid down by the cop in the hospital in the last episode where suddenly seemed more relaxed and happy. She remembers two timelines and with all that has happened, she should show more range. It's like she has the personality of a cat.

The killer does not have to be an established character. They are establishing the religious summer camp guy right now, but is he actually the one? If it turns out to be that cop or the former boyfriend, for examples, I will be disappointed. I don't care if the killer is someone new so long as it pays off. The same is true, if the killer is someone we know.

I believe the twists, by the way, are supposed to from her actions affecting the past and that then affecting her present depending on what, if anything, her father does. If it were any more "twisty", I think you could really start confusing people. More so, if the creators lose control of their story, or if it causes them to..
More +
It's funny, because Peyton can be a bad-ass.. She's the Golden Glider in the Flash, sister to Captain Cold and she was pretty good at the role.
Yeah, that too. A kick-ass robot then :0)
CW is really on a roll. They ought to capitalize on that by adding sports and news programming. Or perhaps another hour of primetime. Or bring back Sundays.
Great news :) The Flash have Typo there as should be (Season 4) o/ Wish Safe & Prosperous 2017 for Joyce Eng & to all Fans of these fine series :)