The First Cast Photo Of Bryan Fuller's Munsters Remake Looks... Normal?

A remake of The Munsters sounds stupid, right? But Bryan Fuller, the plaid-jacket-wearing and super-creative creator of Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, and Dead Like Me, is the man who's remaking it with the NBC pilot Mockingbird Lane, so we can take any preexisting notion that this will suck and bury it in a coffin.

The first cast photo for the show has been released (and edited in Instagram, from the looks of it), and it features stars Jerry O'Connell, Eddie Izzard, and Portia de Rossi looking far more normal than their counterparts from the 1960s comedy the show is based on. Heck, they look more like your run-of-the-mill serial-killer goth family than what would happen if Frankenstein married the bride of Dracula.

My interest! It's been piqued! But if they don't look like monsters, what's the show about? Let's ask Fuller himself to explain, via an interview with The Hollywood Reporter:

"The Munsters actually do what monsters do: They eat people and they have to live with the ramifications of being monstrous. It's like grounding it in a reality because the half-hour was a sitcom, we saw the monsters—they were monsters on the outside and weren't monsters on the inside. For us, they're monsters outside and inside, and we get to double our story. So any story you can tell on Parenthood and True Blood, we can tell. To have Eddie Munster be the starting point for the family—because in the past, when Eddie was born human, they stopped living like monsters because they didn't want to damage Eddie. You get to this interesting thing with Lily, who's been hiding who she is for the last 11 years and now has to accept who she is after she's denied it for so long. It's those types of emotional stories—yet they're going out and eating people at the same time."

Eating people! Now we're talking! Fuller's one of those guys who makes TV a better place, and Mockingbird Lane sounds more like what we're used to seeing from him than his other project, Hannibal. I'm on board, let's see what he can do with it.

NBC has yet to place a series order for The Munsters, but it did ask for more scripts, a sign that the network likes what it's seen so far. The network will probably make a decision on the series' future in the next couple of months.

Does the first cast photo change your outlook on Mockingbird Lane?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Why call them Munsters at all? Looks like all they're taking from the original is the character names.
It sounds like they are going in a different direction now as opposed to the original tv tries. To be honest, it wouldn't have lasted long as a comedy show. With this new direction they are going, it sounds awesome. I am glad they are not just trying to repeat the old series. Someone in that business needs to get just a little bit of originality. Can't wait to see it !!!!!!!
I love Bryan Fuller! Bring it on.
I'm quite intrigued. Sounds like it could be really great.
Fairly sure it'll probably be great. Whether it'll survive or not is another matter entirely. If it is as good as I hope, then fingers crossed it doesn't go the way of Wonderfalls/Pushing Daisies/Dead Like Me...
sounds good if they pull it off? i'm imagining a buffy/supernatural type monster who can look normal but also change appearance when they've lured in their prey(maybe not everytime or even the first time we see them feed? give it a few episodes to sneak glimpes? each member of the family could be different types of monster, while eddie's normal). done right it could be great but if it's too cheesy or takes itself too seriously it'll prob ruin it, it'd have to get the balance right?
I don't know... many people love the original series because The Munsters were supposed to be funny. But I'll be happy to watch it and give it a shot. Who knows? Maybe this new version of the Munsters will be good. Looking forward to see if the pilot gets picked by the network.
For me, personally, as a fan of both the original series and the "today" show from 1988 I am aghast that this has went in such a different direction with the way the characters look and how they "kill people". If he wanted to make a series like that, why choose these characters to mess with? They look nothing like the originals anyway, and the house is a completely different ball game as well. I hope the series doesn't get picked up to be honest. Making the original concept a little darker could have worked, but think this is too far.
The same was said about BattleStar Galactica. Nobody could think of it without is fun campiness.
The original BSG wasn't a comedy, at least when I watched it as a youngster. The Munsters was a comedy. It'd be like turning King Of Queens into Revenge. Frank McGowan was right; the only relation this show really has to the original is some character names and could have been done without the Munsters license at all.
Now I am probably not going to be watching this. Mostly because the first one was stupid. And this looks stupid. But am I the only one that thinks Marilyn looks older than Lily? I know she is Lily's niece and all but they look seriously close in age. Plus has Jerry O'connel been on anything decent since Sliders.
Not sure what to think of this. I will check it out, as it falls into my realm of interest. Fuller is imaginative, and for that deserves credit amid what we normally get on TV, but he is flawed. His shows seem dull, dark, and tend to drag on in spots. They need to be brighter, sharper, better paced, more fleshed out or better developed to fully know his characters and where they want to go with them, etc. Watching Pushing Daisies mostly bored me, but I liked that it was different and its concept was interesting. I could not help feeling the show should have been just about Chi McBride as a private eye set in that world they created and solving cases involving peculiar characters, but not with Lee Pace or his girlfriend. Those two could have been, at best, recurring characters, but ironically, i think they sort of killed the show as regulars.

Here, Fuller already has an established creation to play with, so maybe it will be better, but the whole "they eat people" thing seems odd. Does he mean that literally, or that vampires drink blood, werewolves may eat folks, but only Eddie comes close to that except for that one uncle in the old show. Frankenstein was basically just a homicidal brute. Eddie is human? How's that? Genetic flaw? Is Marilyn still human?

It's intriguing, but I hope does not become disappointing, as most shows like this become for me lately. A healthy budget, as referenced in the article, should greatly help though.
Wait there going to be eating people, now am interested.
Why don't we just wait for it to air and form our own opinion? I have to admit i had no plans to watch this but the more I read about it, the more I want to watch it. Besides, I don't see Bryan Fuller doing crap and I liked what he had to say about the project. He described it as if "Hitchcock was directing a Harry Potter film." Special effects to be added will also allow Lily's outfit to form out of spiders and for Grandpa to manifest out of rats. "It is a darker version of Pushing Daisies," said Fuller.There will be plenty of special treats in Mockingbird Lane, including homages to classic Universal monsters, made easier by the fact that the show shoots on the Universal lot where many of the old sets still stand. For instance, Grandpa's dungeon is on the same stage as the original Phantom of the Opera set. Fuller also plans to explore the mythology of how the family came to the infamous address and introduce family pet Spot (a live-action, dragon-like version "It's going to be quite fantastic") and the DRAG-U-LA automobile ("We want to see them build [it]").

Exciting!
The photo doesn't move me much, but I like Fullers explanation a lot. It even increases my interest in the "Hannibal" project.
It's Bride of FRANKENSTEIN, not Dracula. Drac could have any chick he wanted. It's the eyes ... you know?
Lily is actually the daughter of Dracula. Grandpa's name is Sam Dracula.
I'll pass.
I've been a huge fan of "The Munsters" since I was a kid. Just short of obsessed. I'm also a huge fan of everything Bryan Fuller has created, so based on that alone, I will watch with anticipation. He's never disappointed me thus far so who am I to judge before I've given it a chance.
I'll let this one slide (Eddie alone), but I'm done with any new NBC comedies! Pushing Daisies was so masterful.
I didn't watch the original The Munsters so my opinion on this version wont have anything to do with the original. I also have no real opinion on this first cast photo. It seems cool... it seems corny. That typically seems to be the case when looking at Bryan Fuller's shows from pictures and descriptions.

What I do know is that Bryan Fuller has yet to really disappoint me. I didn't like Dead Like Me that much, but apparently, he left that show fairly early on anyway. Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies were very fun though, and so Fuller is 99% of the reason I'm looking forward to both Mockingbird Lane and Hannibal. The other 1% is Portia de Rossi.
Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies were both brilliant shows (I've never heard of or seen wonderfalls so I can't comment on it) so anything the creator of those shows makes I'll be on board with.
Stupid, just stupid.
This formula probably works for Teen Wolf because the movies, while comedy had a serious side to it. But The Munsters was a sitcom that relied on particularly the gags of a family of monsters trying to fit in with the 'normal' world. Making a True Blood version of it just feels wrong from head to toe. Television is meant to depart from some realities and beliefs, make things unexpected, turning this into "just another show about monsters" is going to kill it for a lot of people, and don't expect any fans of the Munsters to return to a ruined franchise.
Bryan Fuller, Portia de Rossi, Eddie Izzard, and monsters that eat people but need to appear normal...I'm definitely watching this.
Another remake that will be "grounded in reality"....pass
I don't like Eddie Izzard, and I didn't like the original sitcom.. But I trust Bryan Fuller, and Portia de Rossie hasn't been in anything bad, (except for Ellen, who I also dislike.) so I'm not sure what to think of this.
Sorry, no, this is a journey I cannot follow Fuller on. That image says a lot, it says they're ignoring the point of the original show to tell a much blander story. The Munsters were monsters who were just trying to live their lives, trying to be people, trying to raise their kid and be good neighbors and be who they wanted to be. This looks like the polar opposite, people who are actually monsters, doing monstrous things, that's a story we've seen way too much of the last 15 years or so, it's a lazy pretense for drama.
You're right. In the original we rooted for the Munsters; in this one I'd be rooting for anyone who tried to arrest or kill them!
I wasn't interested at all when i first heard of this. But after hearing is from Bryan Fuller i have to watch it. Sadly, though, his ideas don't last long. Pushing Daisies was so good! *sobs*
This has got "cancelled" written all over it.

It looks like Herman had been replaced with a vampire.

And the original Munsters never ate people, although they did eat a lot of weird things.
Brian Fuller shows are interesting, imaginative and well written! I hope this is sold and we get many seasons... or at least one until NBC decides it is far too different from main steam, gets chicken and cancels...
I meant main stReam LOL!
This actually seems like it might be good. Damn NBC, every time I think of ditching you...
Staff
I can't quit you, NBC! Even though you push me down the stairs every other week.
It does!! Also his description! Huge fan of Bryan Fuller, so I was going to give this one a chance no matter what, but seeing this photo and hearing his description of his take on the show; I am definitely interested. "Parenthood" is SUPREMELY underrated, and if that's the sort of model he's starting from, given his past shows ("Dead Like Me", "Wonderfalls", and "Pushing Daisies", all of them very awesome), it sounds like this will be just as awesome. Yay.