The Killing Has Become The Killed: AMC Cancels the Series After Two Seasons

Not a whole lot of surprise here: AMC has decided to pass on another round of its drama The Killing after two uneven seasons. The show burst onto the scene in 2011 with a lot of hype, having been birthed by hit-maker AMC, but really all it did was piss off a lot of viewers and critics when it didn't wrap up its case at the conclusion of Season 1.

Here's AMC's official statement: “After much deliberation, we’ve come to the difficult decision not to renew ‘The Killing’ for a third season. AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast.”

We eventually did find out who killed Rosie Larsen in the Season 2 finale (it was the butler! (note: it was not the butler)), but the drama never recovered from all the bad press it received after the Season 1 finale... and by that point most people were over it, anyway.

But for those who did stick around and actually enjoyed Season 2, there's still hope. 20th Century Fox Studios, which makes the show, is currently looking around for another network to host a third season.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

saaad, i love that show, it was very diferent from others
It's one of my all time fave series. It went the way of most of my faves like Eli Stone and Wonderfalls...[sigh]. Really loved this from start to finish. i don't know why not a lot of people love it as much as I did. The characters were very consistent all through out and the plot and direction of the story were cleanly done. I knew from the start that the killer wouldn't be revealed in the 1st season but it didn't matter. Hope they get a new network.
I didn't watch the first season as it was playing out on AMC, or really had much interest at first. I remember all the praise it was getting when it first came out and then frustration as the season went on. The anger I read in comments about the first season finale is strangely what got me interested in the show. I wanted to see what made a number of viewers turn on the show.

I watched it on Netflix's Watch Instantly after the second season started, saving those shows on my DVR. I watched it knowing that the murderer would not be known that first season so my expectations weren't high. I went from the first season right into the second season. Doing so actually made me enjoy the show. It was not for people who need to have a mystery solved within one episode. This was a show that looked at characters that weren't good or bad. Good people can have a dark side and bad people can still have good in them.

Anyway, it did have a satisfactory ending. If it did return again for another season, I am guessing the mystery to be solved was the one Linden mentioned when she was in the psychiatric ward about the dead hooker and finding that woman's son alive locked inside the apartment with her decomposing body. They arrested and convicted the boy's father and Linden doubted he was the real killer. I believe Linden would be brought back to work (for the department or herself) to figure out what really happened.
The finale was SO good it would have been hard to imagine a season 3 despite how much I wanted one. They wrapped up everything so perfectly. And don't believe Tim or the critics. Season 2 was not uneven. It was so much better than the first season. It truly became one of my favorite shows over the course of the 26 episode series. Critics are not always right, and often miss a lot of the true classics: Se7en, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Carnivale, Rome, etc. Sometimes they are a wee-bit pretentious and like to exemplify their superiority by taking out on shows they don't understand. The same thing happened to The Shining. Now look how many critics double back on what they originally say and now call it a masterpiece. Watch the show for yourselves and judge. There's a lot of themes that run parallel to the movie The Godfather throughout the show.
bummer
sure not by AMC and dish-- dont even have the channel anymore thx to both !!!!!!!!! >:(
People seem to forget that the Danish one, although great, also took two seasons to complete and was also slow moving. the main reason for both shows are the two main actresses.

While I found the Danish version good, the American reproduction was different with a different killer which was more surprising and sad.
The Danish one did _not_ take 2 seasons to complete, it was 2 completely different stories with only a minimal cast/character crossover. This side of the pond having had the Danish version first rather made the US version sink
Too tedious and slow and lacking the impact of Damages and other good shows...
Completely disagreed. The only time Damages even came close to it was during the end of Season 3. The finale for the Killing is probably my favorite episode of the year, and that's with a lot of tough competition already. And I highly respect Damages as it's one of my favorite shows, but it just wasn't as good as The Killing.
How can you write this article and not mention the Danish original, that is a work of art your version meh I never bothered it couldn't compare.

Just buy the Danish version and learn to cope with subtitles it is up there with the best.
I'm definitely going to watch the Danish version. Both because it's highly touted, and because I love watching shows from different countries.

Just watched Braquo, my first show from France... amazing stuff.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

This is disgusting !!!!!!!!

AMC =fascist
I couldn't get into it for some reason, but sad news for the fans.
So much wasted potential. I remember my reaction when they didn't solve it at the end of season 1 and being hugely disappointed.

Second season was very boring...I think I watched the first 2-3 episodes, skipped the middle, and then watched the finale.
No!! :( I love the show! Season one was great and I thought season two was even better! Ugh. Farewell, I guess.

FYI, yes the Rosie Larsen murder was solved but they would have probably come up with a whole new storyline for the new season(s).
Not really surprised or upset. While I never got angry about the season 1 finale and did enjoy watching it at some points throughout the series, once the killer was revealed I didn't really know where they would take the series, nor did I think they needed to continue. I also thought the last episode with Rosie's video was a good way to end it all.
Agreed, that video was heart wrenching and a great cap for the show. Once I finished watching that episode it felt like the end.
Please come back for Season 3 FOX!
Never got into the show and from what I heard the Danish version is so much better. That being said, I hope Joel Kinnaman can get a new show... he's really talented.
Joel will play Robocop in the remake of the original movie, and it's coming out next year. I'm biting my nails over that project because remakes of legendary films have a 96.7% likelihood of sucking.
Yeah, I know. The original was great, so the remake has a lot to live up to.
Eh. The end of the second season was good. Other than that, I'm a bit relieved. One less show (that was kind of a burden) for me to worry about watching.
I think it should be given a third season somewhere else as it was very well done.To be clear ,in the Danish original we find out at the end who the killer is, and the possibility of him being a serial killer and this totally ignored in the second season for another story completely and it was very frustrating.In the original it was Larsen's employee who killed himself in the US version.At the same time, we will see the Danish third season only next September on the BBC, so really an American third season is not too late.
And here I was hoping for a miracle.

In a way, too bad as season 2 really did a good job in the end and built a really strong partnership with the main two characters... I would love to have seen them solving another case or several other cases...

Who knows... fingers crossed that someone else picks this up...
The Killing should have been a three episode mini-series. BTW it was _____ who killed Rosie.
I guess I have mixed feelings about the show itself and it's cancellation.

For me, I didn't have a big problem with the murderer not being revealed at the end of season one, and both seasons have been okay enough for me to keep watching without complaining every week.

On the other hand, both the plot developments and the pacing of every episode were quite slow. It's not a big problem, but at the very least, it's a small one. I didn't find much enjoyment in the political spectrum of the plot, but I guess it was needed... or not.

I'm basically just indifferent about it. I'd have tuned in for a third season if it had been renewed, but I don't feel any sadness at all that it's being canceled. Maybe I'd have been a bit more outraged... that's a strong word, maybe 'slightly unhappy' is more appropriate... maybe I'd have been a bit more slightly unhappy if the season two finale didn't actually feel like a season finale anyway.
Does every show have to continue until it gets canceled? The Killing was over and there was nothing left to tell. The network probably could have saved a little face by just saying as much.
WTF. I tought it was over. It has a good conclusion and all the mysteries was uncovered. But it sill sux, I really liked the show. Today television is full of teenage bullshit and lack serious shows.
I will miss the show, but I am not surprised it's gone. It ended in a satisfying enough way for me.
i stopped watching from the last season .. didnt think of if a bit ..
The list of shows I'm following is just getting shorter and shorter, to the benefit of my personal life.
exactly how I feel! weeds is done this fall :( fringe is done this fall :(:(:(:( desperate housewives ended this spring :( breaking bad ends next year :(:(:( the killing already ended (but I don't really care haha)