The Killing's Season 2 Finale: A Dream Deferred

The Killing S02E13: "What I Know"

I’m having a hard time reconciling two thoughts. The first is that I wasted my time watching all of Season 2 of The Killing, especially after a season premiere that was so lifeless I swore I’d never tune in again. The second is that Sunday’s season finale—series finale, I would guess—was more satisfying than I could ever have imagined. Is it just me, or was that a solid conclusion?

I suppose it’s not so hard to understand—I wanted badly to like The Killing, but the show dragged on too long. It let itself get mired in side stories, red herrings, and way too much Seattle politics. And yet, by the end of Season 2, I found myself invested again, mostly because I knew we were finally closing in on solving Rosie Larsen’s murder. Not to mention the fact that detectives Linden and Holder were sharper and more engaging than ever.

By the end of last week’s episode, it seemed clear that Jamie was at least largely responsible for Rosie’s death—to the extent that I worried the finale would just be the denouement from the big reveal. And it did seem that way for a while. But the way Jamie finally came clean, and everything that followed, made the finale one of The Killing’s most compelling episodes yet. "What I Know" didn’t make up for a meandering season—far from it—but it did remind me of how good this show could have been, and how good it briefly was.

As the episode began, and it became more and more clear what Jamie’s role was, I felt some disappointment. But his confrontation with Richmond, his pleas of “It was an accident!” took everything to a new level. It was also some of Eric Ladin’s best work: It would have been easy to simply transform Jamie into a villain, but he really conveyed that behind it all, there was this weird sense of morality, a desire to see Richmond succeed at any cost. It made Jamie’s death feel unexpectedly tragic.

The finale slowed after Holder shot Jamie—it was more of the Larsen family moving on (or not), more of Linden feeling unsatisfied, more of the audience (if you all are anything like me) wondering if we’d really reached the end of this saga.

We hadn’t. The actual big reveal floored me: Terry inadvertently killed her niece, pushing the car with Rosie in the trunk into the lake. She didn’t know Rosie was the girl trapped inside—all she knew was that her future with Ames was in jeopardy. She panicked; she made a hasty decision. It wasn’t until after it was too late that she realized what she’d done.

The scene in the bedroom was unbelievable, and I mean that in two ways. On the one hand, it was narratively implausible—so much of this reveal relied on coincidence and our suspension of disbelief. But dramatically, it was the rawest The Killing has been since the heights of its first season. Terry’s heart-wrenching confession, Stan’s rage, Mitch’s stunned silence—it felt like the culmination of the creeping horror that this series’ brilliant pilot established. In those bleak, brutal moments, The Killing finally lived up to its promise.

But cliché as it may sound, the finale truly was too little, too late. I won’t deny that the emotional impact of the mystery was heightened by how long it was drawn out. At the same time, there’s no excuse for the stalling and the fake-outs the series frequently employed. There were too many diversions, perhaps an unavoidable consequence of a murder mystery stretched out to two seasons. How frustrating—I get why The Killing needed to take its time, but I was bored out of my mind for so much of the journey.

There’s something else irksome about the ultimate reveal: Having Terry be responsible, almost entirely be accident, was a smart (and very depressing) choice. But as Holder said, it basically amounted to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It speaks to the randomness of life, and the way mistakes both big and small can have far-reaching effects. But if that’s the case, what was the point of such a lengthy investigation? Linden’s dawning comprehension hinged on a broken taillight, something she easily could have missed and almost did.

I don’t mind that there are loose ends—the corruption that led to Rosie’s murder went unchecked, with Chief Jackson and Ames getting off scot-free. That felt realistic, albeit distressing. But as much as I appreciated the finale, I still can’t justify The Killing as a whole. What an arduous journey just to prove the point that life and death rely heavily on accidents, coincidences, and mistakes. In many ways, our patience paid off with a great season finale. But what we ended up learning is something we’ve known from the beginning, and that makes the tedious missteps all the more bothersome.

I don’t think The Killing will be fondly remembered, if it’s remembered much at all. Most critics would agree that this show, despite a strong start, was a failure overall. But when I do think of the show, I will focus on its emotional resonance. In particular, I’ll remember the Larsen family watching Rosie’s goodbye film and her parting words: “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’ll let you know when I get there.”

What did you think of The Killing's Season 2 (and probably series) finale? And what about show overall? Are you satisfied with how things played out?

I'm glad this douche doesn't write for this site anymore.
I just finished watching the Killing seasons 1-2 and I'm also scratching my head over this review. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this dude and I were at complete opposites on this one. I think all the twists that led you onto a different path were actually pretty cool. I wasn't bothered by the fact that it took you 26 episodes to finally reveal the truth. I guess many from today's generation want things quick and easy. I personally like the details, so this show never put me off. I can't wait to watch season 3. Linden is awesome and even Holder came on at the end for me.
Have to completely disagree with critics. I love this show so much. Found the ending absolutely perfect. Season 2 was far better than the first, so yeah, I don't understand at all. Sorry. I think critics are just lying to themselves now because they started picking on the show for "red herrings" early on despite not knowing the endgame and how these served the character development extremely well. The ending has a hell of a lot of subtext. I actually think this is my favorite show of the year. Found it just as good as Homeland and Game of Thrones. But feel free to hate on it all you want. I'd think you guys would get tired after a while, but whatever.
I like The Killing but the way Linden left in the finale made it seem like a true goodbye. I think they should have just done one season for the case because the investigation was actually less than one month! The acting was great, the plot was great and realistic. I mean Law & Order has had the same kind of episode or maybe a 2-part episode and covered all the same bases. If there were less significant glances and pauses in action and that stupid loony bin episode, then one season would have been plenty to explore all the points they wanted to make.
I thought even the snails and turtles already gave up on this clunker with a great cast...
its that kind of show (feature movie or tv) of which the acting and the chemistry between 2 characters is enough to get you invested in it...
Just finished the last episode last night and glad it's over. I agree that it could have been one season show of perhaps 18 episodes or so.

The performances were the best thing, but the story really needed to be tightened up and actions/reactions to events quickened a touch. Dragging the kid around was also a waste. The only good thing with him was his acquiring the crime photos and releasing them. Had he been or got as involved in what happened as his detective mother, it might have become more interesting, but he was her needless ball and chain that slowed the story down even more.

I do believe the constantly dreary gray, rainy atmosphere was a bit of a turn off too.

I didn't pay much attention, I guess, so missed what the three were conspiring about, exactly. What was Jamie trying to accomplish for Richmond?

I have a hard time believing Aunt Terry held it together for so long. I think they could have done more to create intrigue involving her by showing her acting more and more strange or coming apart at the seams, so to speak. More focus on her in this regard and less of extraneous red herrings perhaps. I am not sure I quite understand how she thought killing the girl in the car would get her the guy and they could live happily ever after. Since they never delved into the depth of that relationship, it seemed tacked on and not having any depth of meaning or what he meant to her. I barely remember seeing Ames in this story so it made it all the more uninvolving. What I also can't understand is how does Aunt Terry not testify against him or implicate him in what happened and that he is still walking around and now doing business with Richmond???

Which leads to why Richmond is doing business with the very people that could be said to have paralyzed him??? Had it not been for them to begin with, he would still be walking around, as he would not have been thought to have killed Rose resulting in his being shot by her father's friend/co-worker. Or is it that he feels deep down, in a twisted way, that Jamie's efforts, and what resulted from it all, should not go to waste?

What was Stan's former boss up to? Was he involved in the prostitution business that was thought Rosie was involved in? Was that all what the moving of the computers and burning down that one business was about? Will his murder go unsolved or will Stan find out the son of the guy he killed did it?

If they do a third season, I hope they learned from mistakes in the first two.
There is an anime called Monster that I had just completed watching before Season 1 Episode 1 of The Killing premiered on AMC. During both seasons of The Killing I compared it to Monster. I think the fact that I had seen Monster made The Killing more enjoyable. Overall, whether you liked The Killing or hated it, I recommend seeing Monster. These two shows compliment each other so well its like peanut butter and jelly.
Good post Louis, but I don't think it's fair to say that you don't think The Killing will be fondly remembered if at all. Because for a fan like myself, I will definitely remember it. Yes the show did drag on, and I do feel that one season would have sufficed. But I eventually was glad for Season 2. I got more invested in Holden and Linden, and even in Gwen. I followed the characters relentlessly, wondering where this would lead me. And the final reveal was shockingly disturbing. It was one thing to learn that it was Jamie after all who was involved and who we thought by the middle of the final episode had really killed her, but to find out it was Terry? That took the finale to a whole new level. I think critics have been too harsh about Veena Sud and about the show in general. I think some of the criticism was unfair. I loved the show and I would wait to see what Veena does with it if she brings back a Season 3. Or if she brings another show, I will be watching.
It's interesting comparing the reviews of the US version to the Danish original. A similar length (20 x 1 hour episodes), similar twists and dead ends (although a different killer), and a similar dark, foreboding atmosphere, but the original is universally hailed as a masterpiece of modern television. Worth checking out if you don't mind subtitles.

Maybe AMC would have more luck with an adaptation of the follow up season, a more compact storyline about the consequences of the Danish army's role in Afghanistan.
AMC's proved it's quality with the wrongly late Rubicon. The Killing was a slow dragged show, but, as mentioned by dixidoo, way better than tons of shows out there like, The Bacharolette.

The Killing proved, like Rubicon did, that tv can be smart, emotional, depressive and with brain, with content. You see, i'm not a Walking Dead fan, actually I don't like this shorta of show, but, it's the new way to make TV. Easy to understand, silly at the end. The full-of-content shows, that makes you think the whole week long, are pretty much dead.

This finale was brilliant, the Jamie's confession of guilty conscience was a blast, the turn over Terry's character, holy moly! The priceless scene of the Larson's watching Rosie's missing footage, beautiful.

It was the best (probably and sadly Series) finale since 24's Series Finale. Huge with content, huge with emotions and full of content to think about. I really hope they renew it for a brand new case, but, after Rubicon's desapointment, I don't really trust AMC's anymore.
One more request: Isn't there a single patch of sunlight in Seattle?? I found the chilling effect of the lack of warm light very good for the story line, but felt very hopeless to this viewer. I could not really appreciate the two characters, Mitch and Terry specifically because their portrayals were so overwhelmingly depressing and unredeemed - maybe because there was no light anywhere.
OH! and another thing I forgot to say a minute ago: Holder's evolution captured my attention because of its surprise, but Mirielle Enos' character Linden, unfolding at it's own excruciating pace is equally compelling pace. She stands up he husband-to-be because of unfinished professional business and during the course of this investigation painfully discards layers of her persona until we learn she had had a previous breakdown of some sort. This is a game-changing detail ass far as future plot revelations go as it hits her both professionally as well as personally. What a minefield! And Enos navigated this course in a such an intense way it began to take on the dynamics of addiction, since every other single thing takes a back seat to the case. Whew!
Man, I really really loved this show. I can only assume the criticisms noted above are just sour grapes from would-be screenwriters or critics. It certainly can't be because this show wasn't 1,000 times better than 99% of whatever else passes for television!! I'd rather watch one-half of one "flawed" episode than 1 minute of - you name it - "The Bachelorette"?!

I have observed critical comments that I can agree with - for example, who's idea was it to create a two-season story arc? But even with that, I wasn't so disappointed at the end of Season 1that I got mad at the producers (?!)

The most compelling reason to watch ANY show is getting to know the characters who tell the story, and this series is full of star-making performances of really subtle, troubled and entirely lovable characters. The whole back-story of Linden's character could be fodder for several seasons, and what Kinnaman did with the character of Holder was so good and unpredictable I could watch re-runs of his performances for many years. His part in the drama unfolded so oddly - a character begging to be dismissed by every viewer as a loser/impediment to the investigation with all his "yo whazzup?!" interactions... good heavens, when he finally became a character equally in the forefront of this drama, I could not take my eyes off him!! Some of his smoke-screen acts to take the focus off of Holden are priceless and when he invaded the local mob guy's house, ate his lunch and powered his point across are amazing!!! Holy cow - when did he become one of two powerful leads in this opus? And how about Stan - the character of Rosie's father was so conflicted and performed with such nuance of emotion... as a supporting character, he deserves an Emmy for this work.

I sincerely hope this is not the end for this show. I have a lot of friends who, on my recommendation) have taped the whole second season so they can watch is later. So these are completely new fans of the show. There are viewers yet to be drawn in and addicted.
I applaud AMC for taking a chance on it in the first place and while I agree that there was way too much filler material thrown in for the past 2 season that the show had quite a few powerful and compelling moments. The cast was really excellent (Michelle Forbes is great in whatever she was in), and Mireille Enos, Billy Campbell, Joel Kinnaman, Eric Ladin, Kristin Lehman,Jamie Anne Allman and Brent Sexton all were very very good. Overall the show highlighted by the Premiere and Finale the show had enough twists and turns and poignant/emotionally gripping scenes that kept you guessing and on the edge of your seat, to make the overall experience satisfying and to warrant at least one more season.
"Chief Jackson and Ames getting off scot-free. That felt realistic,"

All you need to know about this guys opinions.
i liked the ending. it was a good wrap up, but i wouldnt watch if they had another season
also the scene with them watching rosies video was great.

too bad she was dead for most of the show. she's a hotty. :-)
I liked both seasons and can imagine a third season with Linden investigating the murdered mother case.

Of course it had it's lengths but overall a quite realistic take on police work, murder and the devastating toll coming along with it.

But one thing made me almost quit during seas 2 and none so far has mentioned it, but to my own opinion it was quite huge:

Richmond gets shot - injured to the spine - almost died - and is from then on paraplegic AND LEAVES THE HOSPITAL AFTER A WEEK??? So all the reha and the knowledge to master the all day work as a paraplegic has been transfered to him via brainscan?

He should have been at least 3-5 months in hospital, for me the biggest mistake the writers made.
Who says Richmond was in rehab only one week? OK maybe he was. But if we can suspend our beliefs to watch dinosaurs and heroes with people who could fly etc, we can suspend belief about a one week rehab. We already quarrelled that the 2 season arc was too long; would you want to spend 3 months alone on rehab? I think not.
I enjoyed both seasons. at times it did feel a little slow but overall i enjoyed them.
"The first is that I wasted my time watching all of Season 2 of The Killing, especially after a season premiere that was so lifeless I swore I'd never tune in again."

I made it about half way through this season before I just couldn't do it anymore, it was just too bad that I couldn't bring myself to watch it. When a show is in your DVR and you're dreading having to slog through the episode it's time to stop.

Naturally I checked in on message boards to see who the killer is...without having seen it, it seems silly. I'm really glad I didn't stick it out.
If you stopped watching the show half way through the season that is fine but why post comments about a show you didn't care for?

Because I had to check in to see who the killer was, and I was happy to see that I made the right choice...well...realistically I should have stopped half way through first season, but what can ya do?
well you missed out, ayedub, cause it was really a great ride and thoroughly worth the wait.
The show was more realistic than most murder shows. It took them 26 days to find the killer. Most shows find the killer in less than a week. Nevertheless, the point of the show was not to find the killer, in my opinion. It was how one murder can affect so many people. Literally, every main character in the show had their lives turned around by one murder. The show was more about seeing how everyone was coping and dealing with the murder of a teenager. Solving the case was what propelled the show forward, but this was not the point of the show.
I didn't think I'd ever read a comment about how "real" this show was...I'd say it was far from it...instead of good police work at good portion of the time Linden and Holder were incompetent and lucked into clues by jogging past signs or walking up on a beeping computer.

Real this show was not.
Exactly! Couln't agree more and It should be obvious to anyone.
I've been focused on the Killing, drawing hope that the series would pay off with a great ending despite a long and unfocused journey into the minds of a large group of troubled individuals. The season finale was a monumental save, in my opinion. The musical score during the reveal of Terry's decision, was nothing short of unstoppable and tragic. Also, detectives Linden and Holder are both left behind as unresolved despite finding the truth, which is basically what the whole series felt like. Overall, I enjoyed the journey, with its highs and lows (more often lows), but an ending to die for. I'm still reeling from how great the Rosie Larcen movie was, and how it impacted her family - it was like having closure inside a piece of Rosie that needed to be returned to its rightful place.
Yeah it is sad that nobody will remember this show coz overall it is truly a failure( coz several good episodes cannot save whole series. And with that great start? And timing in this show (dealing with one day per episode not a good idea) is always implausible. I can't decide either watch second season selectively or not at all. Sitting right now in the middle of the night in my half empty apartment Im playin' with that idea not havin' any good shows to watch. But may be I'd better wait sev weeks for Breaking Effin Bad? I'd probably do that. But I will remember raw emotional scenes, atmospheric gloomy sounds and intriguing storyine in the first episodes of the show. After that better to forget.
You mean you hope people wont remember the show because you didnt finish watch it. But you're wrong. The fact that you posted, and several people posted and are still posting so long after the show is done, goes to show it wont be forgotten. Even if it's to criticise, it won't be forgotten. It was a good run and I for one was not disappointed.
I liked the show enough to keep watching. However, I didn't love it by any means.

1) I like mysteries and murder (fictional, heh), so I like the premise;

2) I don't mind the wait for the big reveal (if I remember correctly, I defended the show's decision to not reveal the killer in the first season);

and 3) I like the actors involved and most of their acting.

However, the biggest flaw for me was that there were too many pointless and boring episodes for too little payout. In comparison: Breaking Bad is my favorite show on TV, despite having more than a handful of episodes throughout the series that I'd consider too slow, too boring, or kind of pointless. The difference? Breaking Bad offers a HUGE payout with plenty of scenes and episodes that just blow my mind. I think hardcore fans of Mad Men can say the same about that show. The Killing didn't offer that. They came kind of close a few times -- the bedroom scene with Terry's confession in this episode was really good -- which is why this was arguably their best episode of the series. It wasn't necessarily because the killer(s) were finally revealed, but because it offered two or three scenes that really grasped my heart or mind.

Anyways, I certainly wouldn't mind if this was a series finale. I thought it was one of their best episodes of the series -- if not the best -- and it played out in a way to be a sufficient finale to the series, not just the season. For a while there, I thought they'd end the episode after showing "the next killing", but it worked better the way they had it.
Thank you for writing this up. I was fiercely loyal all through Season 1... and just as fierce about never watching it again after the season finale. Morbid curiosity as to who actually killed Rosie (payoff for my investment of time) led me here, but your review of the show as a whole makes me feel less like I 'missed out' by not watching the rest. I hope the cocky condescending show runner(s?) learned their lesson about leading on the viewers.
The problem with the show was that the female lead Sarah Lindon was stiff as an ironing board. She didnt demonstrate any quality of emotion that you might expect from a lead in a cable TV show . The video from Rosey was gorgeous and more emotional than anything else in the series.

I dont expect another season after they screwed viewers with a promise of resolving the case early in season 2 or end of season 1 (Which is how the show it is based off operated)
There were lots of highs and lows in this EPICALLY long murder case. (26 days) I thought the end with Rosie's video was a high lite, because I had stopped caring about who killed her as she was barely in the show to begin with. She was about to leave for California and start her dream , she just wanted one last look at the city's view from the casino.

In the wrong place at the wrong time, refers to her more than Terry.

Also, isn't Stan out on bail for almost killing the teacher? They're talking about moving into a new house without once mentioning that he has a trial coming up and faces serious jail time. This was laughable and took me completely out of the story.

From the beginning , the Mayor was the bad guy, then the Indian Chief. The Mayor wasn't even involved in the killing and the Indian Chief wasn't punished for obstruction of justice.

Oh, and after one day , new Mayor Darren has totally changed all his beliefs and is now ok with sitting down with unsavory figures. The office might change someone. But after one day?

Didn't like the 2 part finale at all.
I loved the show, could not wait till the next eposide each week, even though it took 2 seasons for the killer to be revealed it keep be interested each week. I hope their is a season 3. i love the cast and the caracters. I really like the ending. Awsome season finale.
I'm a bit confused. It was no accident that Terry killed Rosy. She knew someone was in the trunk of the car and that person was going to die at her hand. She committed cold blooded murder. It wasn't "wrong place, wrong time." What a cop out!
It wasn't an accident that Terry killed someone; she was committing murder, plain and simple, and she knew that. However, it was kind of an accident -- wrong place, wrong time -- that she was killing Rosie in particular. Of all the girls she could have been killing, it "happened" to be her niece.
Also, aside from everything else...Holder is the boss.

GarthDanicich: Nice. Very well put. It seems like in this day and age, it is all about the "twists." What people forget, is that not everything is meant to be about twists and turns, or shock value. There is nothing wrong with a well crafted, dramatic story. There are other elements to tv than just suspense: genuine drama, story, character development/acting, natural suspense (as provided by such elements as, acting, camera work, setting, atmosphere/mood...)...basically, it all comes down to art, as that's what it is, at least that's how I view it, tv as art. Someone created their vision of something, and that's exactly what it is, their's. They told the story the way they wanted to. Obviously, some people will like it, some people won't. Simple as that. People have no right to say how it should have been, because it is not their vision, it is someone else's. If they want to make something different, then do it, and stop complaining about other peoples' work. They did not make it for you, for your specifications, they made it for themselves, the way they wanted to the story to be told. That is not to say that they did not make it for the people, the tv viewers, the fans, as of course that is the overall purpose, but perhaps just not for the simple, one track-minded tv viewers of this generation. I hope it will be back next season, and I'm sure most people will complain ahead of time and say something like "How can it be...?" Just let the writers take of that, it's their job. Watch it, like it or don't...
Loved it. I cannot imagine how Terry must have felt throughout the 2 seasons. She loved Rosie so much, you can tell. She was in shock and denial the entire time because who wants to admit to killing their niece accidentally? Such a terrible thing to be consciously aware of and to live with, especially since your so close with your sisters family and love them so much. I mean, talk about karma that really hit home literally, geez. She knew what she did that night was wrong, but she was only thinking of herself in that moment, especially since she was so close at having what she always wanted, and to have some stupid guy who she doesn't know ruin it for her because of his carelessness and mistake... no, she wasn't having it, that's why she took the matter into her hands and did what she did. She was desperate and acted as such. Reason went straight out the window because the fear of losing everything was so much stronger... little did she know she would end up losing so much more.... very, very, tragic.
The movie made by Rosie was really, really touching!
Sure, anyone could've killed her, but after all the hoopla, it was a bit weak that no one actually had a personal-to-Rosie reason to kill her. No one killed Rosie because they specifically wanted her dead. Just like the killer, it turns out the victim could've been pretty much anyone. Jamie saw a girl who heard too much, and Terry just saw a girl in the way of getting her boyfriend. I didn't like this show, but I guess that part isn't too big a deal.

What was a big deal was the tack-riddled journey from Point A to Point B, and that journey was boring. So I now know who did it. K.
I love the show, I loved S02 and this was an amazing finale.
"But if that's the case, what was the point of such a lengthy investigation?"

Well, isn't that just about the stupidest thing ever written on this website? So, just because it wasn't a moustache-twirling, black hat-wearing villain, it was a waste?

Is every police investigaton pointless if it doesn't end up in the unraveling of a conspiracy that "goes all the way to the top"?

This show is so f*cking good and it gets such a bad rap because of idiots who have been weened on so many police procedurals that they can't handle a show that doesn't wrap up in 42 minutes and end with Sam Waterston and Jill Hennessy walking down the hallway in a freeze frame with Briscoe and Logan?

The only real misstep through two seasons was the 1st season episode in which Linden's kid disappears.
hahaha. The Sam Waterston joke: so funny yet so true. Good post.
Yes, it was a waste. If the procedure and the journeys were the point, then why end them in only two years? They could've made it last four years, even eight. If that sounds like it would be stretching things out unnecessarily for too-small a payoff...that's our point. Maybe what was two years to some felt like four to eight for others.

I'm glad this show made a few people happy, but content and pace are important, and I'm not alone in saying it delivered neither.
I am a mystery murder fan. Loved the show. Will need to get the Swedish version now that I know it has sub titles. Only show this season that really held my attention. Recorded every one to go back over to catch the missed nuances. Only dissappointed that all the periferal corrupt personas didn't get their comeuppance but aint that normal? Boo on this critiquer

Great acting
How did they get Rosie down from the 10th floor? They had the security footage of everyone arriving and riding up to the 10th floor. Couldn't they have just played the tape further and seen Jaime dragging Rosie into the elevator?
I would guess some sort of garbage chute for the construction. Remember that he thought she was dead and the Indian girl found her backpack in the garbage. Jamie and the Chief wouldn't have been stupid enough to just throw away her bloody backpack so he must have thrown it down with her and forgot it when he recovered her from the bin.

I think they meant to include something about it but maybe just cut it.
I really enjoyed it all the way through. Save for my few weeks of disappointment after season one's lack of reveal, I think this is one of the freshest, most moving experiences on television since Lost. Not every show needs to move quickly - many of us were trained for this kind of pace when we fell in love with The Wire, where [SPOILER ALERT] it took 3 seasons to close the first case. Slow CAN be satisfying.

This show has made me rethink shows like SVU, where a family is decimated by tragedy but we, as an audience, get to leave them behind and move on to another case next week. Now when I watch those shows, I feel I have a better understanding of the victim's family's suffering. I think about the families' future after the show leaves them behind. Few shows can make you change the way you view other shows. For that reason alone, The Killing was well worth my time.
I have to completely disagree with your review, I love every minute watching this show and I don't think they stretching it too long. This show is the best cop show out there, I'm tired and bored of those cop shows that takes 45 min to solve a case, and spend 2 minutes on consulting family of the murder victim. When I watch those cop shows I always wonder to myself how this murder affect the victim's family and friends afterward and can they ever find happiness. The Killing answers all my questions with terrific acting. This show is not all about finding the killer but it also focuses on the life of people involve in the murder, there are so much depth on this show that I don't feel like it is stretching anything.
When all is said and done, "The Killing" was a single episode or complete "LifeTIme" movie stretched out over 2 years and 26 episodes. I feel cheated that I spent a fraction of my life watching this show. Season One was really good, but it was almost as if some 14 year olds were in charge of writing Season Two...the writers sure made it easy on themselves with obvious twists that have been used over and over in movies, television and books... and the "twist" at the end was so weak that I actually laughed.

There was SO much filler and unexplained happenings that were written in, just to try and keep viewers interested. The part of the show about the mother leaving to try and "find herself", was a total waste of time and the "Super-8" movie BS at the end, to try and evoke a tear was laughable at best. The acting in the final season also was degraded and not as good as the first due to the writing.

A 3rd Season? NO Thank you!

It's dicks like you that ruined Murder One and Twin Peaks.

You have not a single clue what good acting and good writing are.
You don't even know me, so keep your personal comments to yourself. Disagreeing is one thing, but attacking is another. Besides, you actually think that the acting in The Killing was good? Rewind and watch the performances from the Father and Mother..pretty pathetic actually. However I liked Linden and Holder's performances.

"Twin Peaks" huh? Give me a break. Yep, I was one of the millions that didn't waste time on that pathetic show, which is basically a comedy, that no one really laughs at.
Anyone wh thinks "Twin Peaks" to be pathetic is completely bare of sense, wit and taste.

I almost feel sad for you.
Performances from the mother, Michelle Forbes, was pathetic?

You mean the EMMY nominated Michelle Forbes for her supporting role on this show?

It seems Garth is right, you are clueless and have no idea what good acting is. The Emmy nomination proves it.

Also

Saturn Award nominee

Satellite Award nominee

To be fair, award nominations -- the bigger Oscars and Emmys in particular -- are often lame or stupid and are just another's opinion.

I don't disagree though... I think the acting was one of the bright spots of the show. Of course, the show was basically one-note -- sadness -- so it's not as if there's a wide range of emotions they had to portray.
I wish they would repackage the entire series (1 and 2) and re-edit it to fit in one season. Get rid of most of the useless red-herrings and just leave a solid story. At the end of it, I do like the characters - to the point that I'm actually hoping they bring Holder and Linden back for another season. Holder with the charisma and Linden to add some brain-power to the case.

One thing I didn't like, but after seeing the finale, it seems like it was necessary - the political bits of the story. Honestly I didn't know why they had politics as part of the story. And to be honest I tuned out or walked away when the scenes with the Richmond campaign came on.
Nope. I mean if they had tightened the story and gotten to this season finale in the first season and had a second mystery for this one maybe. But it dragged and it felt pointless so I stopped watching altogether. I only read your recap so I know the ending and if the recap was good maybe watch it but it feels like such a cheat. ehhh moving on.

Well I LOVED this show and so, so hope it returns for another season. of course it would not be all the same cast, but hopefully holder and linden. Yes, it did drag on a bit, but the finale was worth the wait. Come on people, this is so much more realistic and stimulating to watch than the other stuff on TV where they solve a crime in about 50 minutes. I felt the characters were real and the political situation involved certainly very realistic. I can only guess that she confessed as she did not know Jamie was dead (it had not been released) and yes probably could not live with it anymore.
The 'wrong place, wrong time' statement kinda irked me. She made the decision to put the car into the lake to improve her chances of staying with her rich BF via shared guilt, then did NOTHING as she listened to the screams. I didn't believe the mother hugged her sister after hearing her confession - I was expecting her to pick up something to smash her sister with.

Looking back, I would have enjoyed this show more had it only been one season. I'm surprised they're even considering a third season. I have enough closure, and probably won't watch another season, unless there's not enough good shows on and I get bored.
This was both good and bad.

Good: The acting, the way they got us emotionally involved.

Bad: After all that work, they didn't find enough evidence to build a case against either of the two culprits. Maybe they did have enough on Jamie, but they certainly didn't have enough on Terry. She just confessed because it was that time of the season. It was like the end of every episode of The Mentalist, Castle, etc.: A few minutes from the end, the cops begin to suspect the right person (usually without enough evidence for a conviction), and he/she then immediately confesses and explains in detail what happened. That's the sort of lazy writing I would expect from a show where a new case needs to be completely wrapped up by the end of each episode. I didn't expect it from a show where it takes two seasons to solve the case.
I thought it was understandable that she would break down under questioning after spending nearly a month supressing her emotions as much as possible and trying to atone for her actions by dedicating herself to the family. Noone had confronted her about such a thing up until this point, plus the picture of her niece drowned alive had to be giving her nightmares. Sure, it was a convenient time, but that's how the reveal works in stories like this. You find what you are looking for in the last place you look, at which point you stop looking. I loved this show, which did have a slower pace than many but was absorbing and beautifully acted. I loved the way they stripped away layers in both the plot and the characters' lives bit by bit to get down to the truth.
But Terry wasnt cold blooded killer..she was mess and she wasnt able to pretend anymore.

my guess is that season 3 will be case 2 from the original the killing.
i watched season 1 but then i watched the original norwegian (?) version, which i loved, so i didn't watched season 2. not a great idea to do a remake just because people don't like to read subtitles. btw: the finale on the original version was a bit more cruel, but also more credible.
The original is danish!
If the show just ended with Jamie being the killer, I would say that the finale would be a failure. The Killing needed that one last twist for there show to be remembered.

I just want to make a comment about a potential season 3, How would they do a season 3? I'd assume that Linden and Holder would come back together, but would there be a almost completely new cast? I would guess that the Larson family wouldn't be involved, maybe Richmond. Thank you for listening to my ramblings.
A lot of good comments, though I suspect much people who didn't bother watching and/or didn't like the show won't come on here to comment, but I wanted to add that, in any case, this was another win for AMC. They continue to produce some of the best shows currently out there.
I agree with most of the comments below. This was a terrific TV show and will be remembered by those that don't just watch the cookie-cutter detective shows - where as mentioned, they brilliantly & miraculously solve a case every 45 minutes.

Everything about this show is fantastic ... bucked the trend of those others, even at the risk of only being a 2-season series.

Definitely one of the favourites over the past 2 years!
Load More Comments