The Killing's Season Finale: Disappointment of the Year

The only thing I enjoyed about the season finale of The Killing was the equally outraged reaction it inspired in other TV critics and fans. Remember, this was a series we all felt excited about: It gripped me from the first episode. Even as my interest wavered midway through the season—to the extent that I no longer felt inclined to write about the show—I held out some hope that the show might be saving up for a big finish. The season finale would somehow win me back! Which was pretty naïve, but hey, I’m a glass-half-full kind of guy.

To say Sunday’s episode was disappointing is a colossal understatement. And no, I’m not just saying that because we still don’t know who killed Rosie Larsen, though the non-reveal did contribute to my raised blood pressure. The Killing screwed its audience over and over again, with a season finale that reinforced just how little the audience matters to executive producer Veena Sud. You can, in fact, satisfy viewers and still leave things open-ended, but that’s not what happened here.

My disappointment with The Killing has forced me to question whether I will ever be satisfied by a TV mystery, because they seem pretty lose-lose on all fronts. If the case takes too long to solve, the show is slow. If it's solved quickly, there’s not enough build-up. If the killer is the main suspect from the throughout, the big reveal is too obvious. If it’s a total surprise, then the show has done a poor job of dropping clues. Was The Killing always going to be a letdown?

That’s a question I’ll continue to ponder, but there were certainly other ways to wrap up the first season that would have been far better than this. I was dubious at the end of last week's penultimate episode, when it looked like Richmond was the culprit—the killer unmasked before the season finale? But like many others, I guessed there might be some last-minute twist: Perhaps Gwen or Jamie murdered Rosie to cover up Richmond’s indiscretion. Fine. Not groundbreaking television, but at least a bit of a surprise and, more importantly, a sense of closure.

Instead, we got the half-hearted “reveal” that Richmond didn’t do it after all. Who did? No clue—but Holder is somehow involved. And that is the moment I went from annoyed to irate. Holder has been the standout character this season. (I would have said it was Mitch after the first few episodes, but surely not at this point. More on her momentarily.) His character was developed better than the whole rest of the cast's, and part of the thrill was watching his transformation from sleazy cop to decent-guy-with-issues. And now—surprise!—he was dirty all along? It’s insulting to take us on this journey with him, only to close the series with a last-minute reveal that rewrites everything.

Mitch turned out to be a disappointment, too, which is a travesty given Michelle Forbes’ undeniable talent. The Killing took place over 13 days—not nearly enough time for a grieving mother to move past the loss of her daughter. I never expected to see her do so, but I did long for some sort of character development, some hint that she was in transition. Instead, we got the same sad, sunken Mitch in every episode, until she just stopped being interesting. When she showed up in the finale, I actually sighed. And now we’re supposed to care that she’s up and left her family? Does it really matter at this point?

Like many others, I feel as though I’ve wasted too much of my time. Not knowing who killed Rosie is frustrating, but admitting that I devoted energy to these characters and their stories was even worse. I should have stopped watching when the Bennett Ahmed story turned out to be a distraction, and yet, I soldiered on. And for what? I just spent an hour watching Linden and Holder scour gas stations, and all I really know about who killed Rosie Larsen is that I won’t be tuning in to Season 2 to find out.

What did you think of the finale? Are you groaning at the thought of The Killing coming back for Season 2? Are you upset we didn't find out who killed Rosie? Or did you love the show's "twists" and the cliffhanger and think the internet simply whines too much?

Follow TV.com writer Louis Peitzman on Twitter: @LouisAtTVDotCom

Oh, come now! It was definitely a disappointment, but surely there were bigger ones out there. Of course, if you're saying that it had more potential and so was a major letdown, where you knew show's like V were going to be outright bombs from the start, then yeah... 'disappointment of year' might work.
Its first episode was able to staple me to my seat. Probably continue to the 2nd and 3rd episode. However, the second half of the season - it's really hard for me to say this - sucked... BIG TIME. The pace is sooooo slow. One red herring after another, I'd have to say AMC has a great way of killing the main characters' credibility, Linden and Holder that is. Linden, most probable was a good detective, at least from the first impression i've got in the first season. Later I ended up hating her. For an experienced investigator, she seemed very green, in both instinct AND action.

For the second half of the season this show is soooo depressing, it made Ned Stark beheaded scene in Game of Thrones almost cheering.

I get that AMC is probably trying to show the human side of these characters, but I think it could be done any other way that destroying their credibility.

Hell, if Linden and Holder EVER gonna solve this case, I'm not sure I'll be buying it, taking into account their past errors and wrong moves.But, after 13 weeks i think I deserve a closure. After that, I'll invest my precious time watching some other show.
I'm irritated that the good guy turned out to be a bad guy, and that the bad guy isn't the killer. I'm annoyed that we still don't know who killed Rosie Larsen, and now we'll have to watch another dozen episodes with no guarantee that we'll find out at the end of THAT. But mostly I'm bothered by how BORING the last half of the season was. Did we really need a five episode indictment of racial profiling? Couldn't the point have been made in one or two? And I understand that you need red herrings and false starts. But after a WHOLE SEASON we are no closer to knowing who killed Rosie than we were WHEN WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE WAS DEAD YET! Note to the producers: Do you think that in season 2 the SUN might come out? We all get the symbolism. Dead girl, tragedy, dreary weather. But come on, not even the Pacific Northwest is THAT depressing! Oh, and it has nothing to do with not understanding the plot. My four year old niece understood the plot. I just thought it was a cheap trick. Holder did NOT fabricate a piece of evidence to make sure the guilty guy went to jail. He didn't even fabricate the evidence. Richmond's political opponents gave him the fabricated evidence to make sure their rival didn't win the election.
how stupid do you have to be to say "Disappointment of the Year" about one of the best season finale of the year? "boo-hoo I'll have to use my brain to understand the plot, the good guy was the bad guy".. come on... are you 12 years old?
This show is excellent!!! Love it!!!
I’m not sure if indeed Richmond didn’t do it…. maybe they just wanted to put a SMALL seed of doubt in some people. Because I think (and if I interpret the internet correctly I’m not the only one) that the final minutes just meant to show us that Holder fabricated that last piece of evidence so that the person that was obviously the killer would be convicted. Since it was clear that their boss wasn’t going to let them pick up Richmond without evidence that put him in the car.
@nanktsc could not agree with you more. the show was good the entire season was full of plot twits and a few cliffhangers. but apparently there are some people who seemed to have never heard of a SEASON having a cliffhanger. i guess i can;t, oh wait there's Lost, the x files, twin peaks and the biggest one 24 witch had cliffhangers every episode and season, that is just to name a few. @ mattgus also agree with you, yes the show is different and great. and you are right this was the first half of this story. i heard two rumors one that says the second season will belonger than 13 eps and Rosie will be wrapped up halfway through before L and H move on to another case. or it will be 13 eps again, eother way the murder WILL be wrapped up next season. I stand by my theory that it will happen on day 26, election day. mattgus you also wrote something just like i wrote earlier. people apparently need to instant gratification in longer than 2 minutes to an hour, don't get me wrong some shows that are more episodic are good House, Bones, Burn notice, Psych, a few but even those shows have some serialization. i bet if people insulted any of these stupid reality shows in any small way they would get death threats from people who b***h about great tv shows that get them to be canceled. Man if i started on that list i would take up this page so i won't do that. and finally @richardhart4 not liking a show because the constant rainy overcast weather? this is not a happy frigggin story so it is no wonder they chos Seattle where it does tend to rain alot or at least be overcast. what would you rather the story take place in a bright sunny town maybe near a beach with college students on spring break? as i said this is not a happy story. think about the movie Seven which was raining the whole movie until the end. having those stories take place around sets the mood tone of both. and finally @richardhart4, not liking the killing because the characters are unattractive? and the fact you would like to have killed Rosie and the other characters yourself? i think if I dignify that with a response they wouldn't let me post, ill leave it everyones imagination. Ok Ok you win todays award for the stupidest reason not to like a show! but don't worry there is always tomorrow for you lose that title to someone else or continue to be raining champion!
i will not throw the baby out with the bathwater...the show is too good. yes,it is differant,great. all the rest are formula,i figure them out in the first 10 min. there are always reruns of murder she wrote...this is not just about who did it. it is much more than that...i would think we would be better off complaining about all the silly, elementary, poorly produced and executed crap out there. and good pt this was only 1/2 a season compared to what we are use to. this is really good tv. lets rag on something that deserves it...we complain about bad tv and when someone takes a leap and does something differant everybody wants a simple answer. get on a rollercoaster then your thrills are over and done on 3 or less min...look at the shows canc like rubicon chicago code etc...intellegent oferings that i guess were not enought of a slam bam thank you mam...whew that felt good lol
Who says Richmond didn't do it? Or that Holder is dirty? I think they're setting up a killer second season and I hope that they work the conspiracy angle. There are still a number of characters and storylines that haven't really been explored completely (the casino, Linden's mental breakdown, Seattle politics, terrorism, Drexler, etc). Although the show was slower than it had to be, I think the stage is set for the mysteries to tie together.
I'm really not that disappointed. If the season had been as long as the Danish original we'd have the killer named already so I'm treating it like a split season. I liked the show throughout so I can be patient and wait until next season. I enjoyed the Holder "twist" and look forward to learning what his motive actually was. Involvement or over zealous detective work. I'll be right here waiting for next year.
Truth be told, I probably won't bother with season 2. The show had potential, but after 10 weeks of wading through dreay scenery, plodding plot lines, unattractive cast members, I found myself wishing I had killed Rosie and the rest of the principle cast!
I actually enjoyed the Killing and especially enjoyed the twists and turns it took at every episode. Just when I thought I had it figured out, another twists. I also enjoyed the seaon finale with a great cliff hanger and YES, I will be waiting for next season.
The Killing captured my interest and seemed to get better with each episode. That is until the last 3 episodes that were pretty much lame filler. The writers apparently ran out of story line and where to take this show. Would have been an outstanding one year wonder if it had ended now. Won't waste my time while they drag out season 2....
my god I have read people b***h and moan about other tv series before but you people take the cake. "whaa whaa we don't know who killed rosie! whaa i hate anything that doesn't satisfy my five minute attention span!" Man it really seems like people nowadays aren't satisfied with a tv show with a plot longer than 42 minutes. i mean ok some were upset that the season didn't wrap up the case but i have actually read people being angrey that it wasn't wrapped up in the first episode! like someone said here if that is what you want than go watch law and order or some other cardboard cookie cutter crime show god knows there is enough out there or just watch friggin american idol, people don't b***h that we don't find out who the winner is in the first episode on that show. I mean it really seems people can't handle watching a serialized show crime or otherwise anymore. those are often the most compelling that end up getting canceled with a few exceptions like Lost. i mean that was SO serialized and had cliffhangers every season. imagine if after the first season they suddenly just decided to say ok this is what the island is and this why the people are on it and they get rescued.. while i bet some of you morons actually would have liked that in reality it would have been terrible and completely ruined the show. Lost needed 6 seasons to tell it's story. and for the record about the killing if maybe some of you had actually paid attention to the show they basically told us in the first episode that the story would be two seasons. Jamie, richmonds advisor says that the election would be in twenty six days and the election and the characters involved in it were somehow tied to Rosie's murder so let's see if any of you can do the math. this season was 13 episodes one day per ep. so how many seasons is that? so i figured right from the start that there was the possibility of this story being two seasons. in fact if things had story HAD ended without the last two minutes i would not have liked it as much. Richmond to me was always too obvious to be the killer and the way it came to be thought it was him came out of left field too fast. watching the end of ep 12 i didn't believe it. watching the finale when they were arresting him i still didn't believe it. It was all too convenient and i was waiting for the twist.The Killing is a Drama not just about a murder but the CHARACTERS and the effect it has had on their lives. sorry if all of you who can't handle that feel the need to trash the show and also the creator and AMC! "Whaa Shame on you AMC and Veena sud, Im not wtaching season 2!" yeah that is real mature. so fine don't watch season 2 nobody cares, go watch the latest reality crap and the newest batch of doctor cop or lawyer show that solves everything up in one hour because god knows there aren't enough of those out there. and you know what i bet that many of you who said they want watch it WILL watch and, some will like it, and more likely they will only watch it so they can b***h about it. I cannot believe that there are people who watch shows that they actually DON'T like just so they can complain about it on the internet. i even read one reviewer who said that the finale was the first episode of the show they watched and then had the nerve to bad mouth it. I'll say it again GROW UP!
Pacing too slow!
Too many twists and red herrings
After this episode,I don't really care.

I think they renewed this show, despite poor ratings and reviews, because they pulled the plug on Rubicon too soon.

Cancel this show.
Bring back Rubicon
I liked the show all the way thru and did not feel cheated, after I stopped yelling at the TV and thought about next season.

The show I thought cheated the fans was Bones, been waiting years for Booth and Bones to get together and what do you know, she's PG and we did not get to see any romance. What a slap in the face to fans and I am DONE.

Another grip, why do we have to sign in to TV.Com EVERY TIME. This is the only web site I go to what has this inconvenience.
I myself felt satisfied with the season finale. Though there is this inward expectation that it'll all be wrapped up neatly for me and the ugly business that befall Rosie would be explained, I find a common thread in the series being the rush to judgement. An arrest does not equate to guilt and with the disastrous outcome of the Larsens' rush to judgement when Ahmed was the prime subject, as the suspense rounded the bend and I could see the rush starting to ramp up, pointing all fingers to Richmond, I felt myself saying, "Its either not him and we've (the audience and characters involved in that plot line) have made the same mistake or Richmond is in fact guilty but some shortcut involved in the investigation would foul up the process." There are still a lot of questions to answer with this case. We have still only gleaned a fraction of the timeline involved and anxiously await the second season to get back into the mix. I like Gregburnscds's comment, "The show isn't ONLY about who killed Rosie Larson, but the character stories of those that "the killing" has affected." It revolves around a victim's family, how the investigations affects the lives of the investigators as well as how their personal lives affect their work within the investigation, and how the investigation affects the lives of every person that came into contact with the victim...not to mention learning that people aren't always what they seem, even to their mother or lover...

I'm still reeling from the cancellation of Rubicon... So, I'm especially appreciative of the fact that haven't invested my time, thought processes and emotions into a dead end (knock on wood). So, though I didn't get exactly what I expected, I think why should the audience get what they expect? Where's the suspense in that?
This show started out great - heck, the acting was great all along, great cinematography even in the last episode! But to let the viewer invest time in 13 episodes, only to tell them everything they know is wrong - that's just bad. After episode 11 felt like total filler anyway, I just wanted to some payoff for my investment. So no - no season 2 for me. Hopefully someone recaps it and maybe I'll read it, but I won't watch a second of season 2, lest they pull the football away yet again.
I am sorry the show didn't appeal to your gee-here's-another-cookie-cutter 'mystery', but I guess you never watched the Danish original, Forbrydelsen.
Well, enjoy your predictable crud, then. I thought the show was great.
Thank you for this article! I, too, was expecting some kind of a payoff and it ended so poorly. The acting is great so in no way I fault the actors. But the writing could had at least left me gasping for more instead of a possible Ronald Reagan shooting. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed season 2 improves where it didn't quite finish.
I agree with the sentiment. I was frustrated when the Bennett angle turned into a dead end. If they had stopped the season then, I would have happily come back for Season 2 to find out who the "real" killer was. Nothing wrong with red herrings and leads that don't pan out, but they wasted half their season on this particular wrong turn... not to mention dropping hints about the main characters' pasts only to follow up several episodes later, after the hint's long forgotten, so that the character-building almost doesn't make sense. At this point, I don't care if Holder is dirty or if Aunt Terri is a hooker. Sorry, but "I won't be tuning in" for Season 2. I'd rather go back in time and watch Ray Wise's hair turn white overnight, and dream about a dwarf dancing in front of red curtains... Ah, those were the days!
Hardly disappointing! Show was great and with a twist of an ending, I can't wait for season 2 to pick up where we left off.
You people harp on ONE THING!! The show isn't ONLY about who killed Rosie Larson, but the character stories of those that "the killing" has affected. What if Richmond DID kill Larson, but Holder expedited the process in order to get a swift conviction?

Jesus. Remember shows like Twin Peaks? That was 22 episodes before the kller was revealed. PLUS, had you read anything about The Killing before it aired you would know that the whole premise of the show is that it revolves around ONE murder!
In fairness you should add that this is partly a general problem with american tv-programming, they intentionally try to drag out most shows for years and years just too keep audiences (to make money ofcourse). This is not always a problem, sitcoms for instance can work fine under these conditions. Other kinds of shows tend to go bad when trying to drag out a story almost infinitively, because the story starts to "loop" instead of moving forward. Smallville, Heroes and may others had that problem, there were just not enough subject matter to drag these shows out that long. To make a really long show, without looping, you need to have a huge source of material and many characters which can be infinitively varied to base it on. The Killing does not have that, the subject and number of characters are quite limited. It can be good, and it kinda was, but it is not suitable to drag out for several season. In american tv though, the aim is always to make a show that can last for many, many season. That always cause trouble when the subject matter is limited, it is not just with this show. Also, the scary thing is that when they treat a show like the killing like this, trying to "milk it", we can not even be sure they will present a solution in the second season either. As long as enough people are watching, they could keep dragging. The (only?) better thing with european (public tv) is that "art" comes first, shows generally only has as many episodes they need/are supposed to have, to tell the intended story. They do that in america with so called "mini-series", i wish they did it with all tv.
@spudda32: SGU never once doubled The Killing's numbers, never once. In fact its most watched episode still earned less viewers than The Killing's most watched.
All these people saying that we werent going to get the reveal because of the renewal ignore the fact the production on the show was done and dusted long before the renewal decision. And people like me who have never forgiven Fox for cancelling John Doe hates cliff hanger endings in bubble caliber shows and lets face it the ratings on the Killing were never sensation (and Stargate Universe was cancelled despite fact it had double the audience numbers)
Awful, just awful.
With the exception of it being loosely based on the Danish version, you do get the feeling they are making this up as they go along. Given that, I'm not even sure the producer knows who killed Rosie Larsen. Will be interesting to see how many people actually tune into find out next year.

On a side note, one thing this show has been very successful at, at least for me, is making me miss The 4400. I'll tune in next year just on the off chance that Bill Campbell's character turns out to use some sort of telekinesis.
I can’t say I’m disappointed with the finale yet I can’t say that it was anything special either.
The season in general had its way in keeping the viewer hooked and eager to watch the following episode.
I do believe that many viewers won’t bother with season 2 as expectations were higher.
To be honest people should just watch the danish version. The final episode of season 1 gives us the killer, and season 2 gives us a brand new crime to deal with. It was an epic series. (It's called "Forbrydelsen" in danish which actually means the crime. But anyway.
I can appreciate a long form drama, a long form procedural is pushing it but I hung in there because the show was so compelling. To not resolve Rosie's murder after investing this much time and attention to the story is just frustrating to the nth degree. I don't think I have a short attention span so to say I was ready to move on to a new investigation next season is reasonable, IMHO.
@bdr519..... No thank you, I have better things to do when I deslike a TV show, like using my remote control to watch something else or turn off the TV set. Which will happen if the Killing wont get improved in second season.
Personally I think someone has big personal issues if gets angry from a TV series just because doesnt like the finale or the story. Shrugs..
ok so basically that we didn't want to happen happened. Season 2 will be a continue from season 1 and we still won't know who killed her. To slow to watch now a season 2. i'll pass
Why are you so suprised about Holder? It was hinted many times throughout the season he's dirty.
I was enjoying the show until that scene at the end... I can't stand non-reveal endings. Crime dramas have done it a lot and some movies, too. Why did I spend so much time investing in the story if I'm not going to get anything at the end? I know that happens in real life but that's why we all watch television. Plus, I was hoping to see a new mystery next season, not more Rosie Larsen.
I liked it. Not sure what the complaining is about to be honest :\
I really liked this show. It was, for the most part, intriguing and well written. The only thing I do not like cliff hangers and not concluding a story line are when the powers that be never let the show wrap up all of the loose ends before they drop the ax on the show. Remember Kyle XY? Just as they drop the biggest bomb shell of the show...bye-bye. How about Rubicon? Not cool. If you are going to end a show, give some respect to the viewers and let the show end naturally. AMC if you decide on such a fate for this show as well, you will have many disappointed ex-viewers of your programming.
and to Lolotaki...Sud didn't offer her AUDIENCE canapes and liquor either. F her.
The way these cable station Hiatus' go, by the time season two meanders out of the gate, NOBODY will care who killed Rosie Larson.
The series should've solved the murder in the final episode. But then if you think about it, Dale Cooper didn't catch Laura Palmer's killer until the second season of "Twin Peaks."

As to who did it....don't you get the nagging feeling that Sarah's fiance is the killer?
I can understand not to like the show, the story, the concept etc. What I fail to understand is the ANGER. People commenting like if the Killing is the worst thing happened to humanity after the bubonic plague.
And if there can always be ppl who vent out by trashing shows in comments sections (myself included sometimes) what really surprised me is the Anger of the TV CRITICS.
In all honesty I have started to believe that the creator of the show, Veena Sud, didn't offer them canapes and liquor in the press conference and they HATE her for this.
I can't accept that reviewers that I used to like, drivel like spoiled crybabies about the finale of a show. Its an internet lynching and you know what? I really don't get it guys.
The only thing I'm groaning about are all the complaints. God you're all such a bunch of babies. Oh waaah waaaah waaaaaah we didn't find out who the killer was. Duh of course we didn't. As soon as we all heard it was renewed for a second season I knew it. Why didn't you?? And don't jump to conclusions about Holder being dirty. You jumped to conclusions thinking Richmond did it and now we know that's not the case. Calm down people. Honestly you're such a bunch of immature, impatient cases of ADHD. Go back to sesame street because apparently that's the only thing that can satisfy your teeny tiny brains. Louis find someone else to review the show next year because I'm so damn tired of your whining.
Internet users do, in fact, whine too much! This was a cliff-hanger; why are we surprised, . . . unless we thought each season was going to follow a new "Killing" . . . Wait, there is apparently going to be a new killing . . . maybe . . . The point of this series is the "process" of discovery and the character development. All the actors are excellent. The episodes proceed a little slowly and are dark, indeed, but darkness does suit the subject matter. I will be back next season, which is when exactly? By the way, I never thought the killer would be Richmond, AND, if Linden manages to get married, I will be truly amazed.
I usually go to bed early on Sunday nights, but this show really got to me, I just loved it. The ending was such a let down for me, Next season I won't waste my time, I need some kind of ending. Can't wait for season after season just to be let down. I remember Dallas when JR. was shot, another waste of time never watched it againg. The good thing about it was all the good actors you had cast. Many really good newcomers.
The finale wasn't that bad. Not knowing who the killer really is gave it a season 2. The way the seaon ran reminds me of 2 other shows that did this. Veronica Mars took a full season to find out who Lily's killer was and Pretty little Liars is on its second season and we still don't know who Allisons killer is. I'll definately be tuning in for season 2.
That was an absolutely awful finale and I won't be back for season two. I may read about it after it's done to see if they ever reveal a killer, but really, what's the point. The show is all red herrings so the killer may as well be a random drifter passing through town that we've never seen. To spend 13 episodes and be not one step closer to identifying the killer than you were in episode one is ridiculous and just plain bad story-telling. When you spend that long on one case and don't reveal the answer, it's not a "cliffhanger", it's a cop out.
wait what ? that was the finalle... what the... :\
Great show and I 'm definattely watching season 2.This show was one of the very best this year.
Is season two airing a year from now, like so many other cable series? I agree with you, I am pissed they did this. i would have watched season 2 if they were going to another case, but to end the season like this makes the whole thing done for me. The show moved slower than a snails pace, but I trudged on because I wanted answers... No MORE>
love AMC .thanks for the great show,"the killing".but i never ever , never forget the cancellation of the ""Rubicon"
Load More Comments