The New Dallas Promo is Artsy, Chatty (VIDEO)

Get ready to have that famous theme song stuck in your head again: TNT has released the latest trailer for its ambitious new series Dallas, a remake of the popular CBS primetime soap opera that ran for 13 shocking seasons from 1978 to 1991. The two-and-a-half minute preview is a bit odd; it starts off artsy, with the Dallas theme swelling in the background, then it goes into trailer mode with footage from the show, then the actors have a roundtable discussion and spout a few critics' cliches, and then there's more footage. But them Ewing boys sure are handsome!

Predicting the new Dallas's success is tricky. On one hand, it's a continuation of one of the most well-known shows of all time, one that broke TV barriers and set the bar for dramas to follow. On the other hand, the elements that made the original Dallas successful are now commonplace on TV, so what can the new version bring to the table?

I don't see this being a big hit, and I don't see a remake of a show that your parents watched bringing in the coveted 18-35 year old demographic, either. But as a time-wasting sudsy drama, it should do fine.

Questions:
– Were you a fan of the original Dallas? Are you excited for the new Dallas?

– Do you think Dallas should be laid to rest and not be remade?

– Do you think the Ewing boys are dead ringers for Chicago Cubs general manager Theo Epstein and Jonathan Rhys Meyers?

– Will there be any milkshake-drinking in this series?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Am I the only to find that the cast has a bit too much of what I would call "the Hollywood handsomeness" ? They just have zero credibility. When I think about Dallas, I think about charisma and real dudes... not about guys worrying about their morning peeling. That's of course not a reason for bashing the show... but If I don't like the pilot, I would not give it a second chance.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The original Dallas was just so good and real in so many levels.
My parents used to watch the show when it was originally on, and my dad has gotten me into it recently. Right now we're on season 4 (so I don't think we'll be done by the time this show premiers), and am enjoying it so far. I'm not usually a fan of soap operas, and some of the issues I have with them do seem to be present here, but there are some areas where the show stands out. Most notably, I love the way they incorporate the real issues of business, and specifically the oil business, into the character drama. And given the state of that business today, I think it's a perfect time to bring it back. As for this new show, I think it's a bit early to judge how it will do, especially compared to the original. However, there are some aspects that I love already. I think the whole idea of "Old generation making way for the new generation" is a great one. Not only is it a great parallel to what the show actually is, there's a lot of great drama that can come from it.
I've seen all seasons and I loved the show. The show was pretty much great great until season 10 ( according to the dvd season 11).
I hope it can live up to the originals reputation. I remember the who shot JR ? storylne being national news and on all the news and chat shows as the show was so huge and loved, and of course who can forget the Bobby being dead then suddenly he's in the shower storyline!
even tough it was a 80's show I watched the reruns 4 or 5 years ago on tv and Dallas is more about business warfare and family distortion than a romantic soap opera. Thats why I kept watching. The characters a all older than what we have today , more mature, thats why the acting didn't suck.
I am too young to know anything about Dallas, but it certainly looks better than the Ringer and some of the other crappy soapy dramas on television right now. The original actors seem kind of self-important though
they were important lol...much better than the new teen stuff
This is cool and all, but a) why do we need this show on television right now, and b) why do we need a reboot if, as this promo claims, the original was so amazing?

I expect this to crash and burn at the same rate and intensity as the other reboot this season, "Charlie's Angels."
Well, the Promo tickled me! I'm interested! I loved both Dallas and Dynasty (although it wasn't quite age appropriate watching it). I think it'll be tricky to hold up to the viewers' expectations. As Television has changed a lot it will depend on really good scripts for the show to become anything comparable to its original. But as Desperate Housewives will by then have run its course and no more Brothers & Sisters out there I think Dallas could have a chance as a family drama. Aside from Revenge I don't see any real competition for it unless some show will turn up next summer. I do look forward to it hoping that it can meet the expactations as it has to fill some big shoes.
I Cannot wait for this! So excited!!!
I've never seen an episode and was too young to even remember it being a "thing" at the time, but some reason this trailer with the theme music and original actors(especially Larry Hagman) gives me goose bumps. I think I'll have to watch it which just seems weird to me.
Although I loved all the 80's soaps- Falcon Crest, Dynasty, Knots Landing and Dallas- I feel that they're time ended. Besides, Dallas lasted 13 seasons and they did every storyline possible...so what can they really bring to the table? But I loved Dallas, I even have all the dvd's.

That being said, I will watch it out of curiosity and because of the original characters: Sue Ellen, Bobby and JR.... I really don't care about the other stuff though. Plus, I really hate the actors portraying the sons as they're both terrible actors and I can't stand them.
Huge fan of the original, the countdown clock has been started already, I was looking forward to the movie but since that has stalled, so happy for reboot, I do not know what you mean by Milkshake shaking drinking, but what I doknow that drinking in the original was real, which led to Larry Hagman liver problem the original DALLAS was one of the best shows ever if not the BEST
I was actually named Jenna because of this show, so even though I've never seen Dallas before, I'm curious enough about it to check out the first episode at least.
Rich white people with problems. I have literally and figuratively seen it already.
I'll probably watch - especially if they add some Gothic/supernatural elements to the show. But I'm still praying for a 'Dynasty' comeback.
I think my mom is already excited about this:) so I assume it would be same for many other "elderly":D
I watched the reruns of this series and it was a pure classic, very entertaining. Nobody can replace Hagman as JR hes the ultimate likable villain. That said, I think they should have made a remake instead of going with the children John Ross and Christopher because the real interest of Dallas revolves around JR, Bobby, Barnes and their wives.
I'm so excited for the reboot. Can't wait.